PDA

View Full Version : Has Silversea Changed Their Pricing Offers?

Mike2131
July 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
We were considering a change of cruise dates for next year and when I looked yesterday all the API incentive prices had vanished. All that was left were the EBIs. When I was poking around this morning, I looked at the Silver Sailings and found the API pricing I had seen earlier. For some other cruises discounts of up to 60% were shown (but not on the individual sailing Fare page). I have never seen that before. The sailings available had also been extended through the end of 2010.

Did anyone else notice this are have I just not been paying attention?

LOVE@CRUISE
July 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I noticed it too! The itinerary I am looking at dropped to 50% off and there is no longer additional savings with xapb. I did receive an email yesterdqy stating that big announcements were coming on July 6 as to new pricing for 2010, so stay tuned I suppose!:p

ORDPLATAA
July 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Just looked at it as well and emailed my TA to check on the 11/2010 Rio to BA trip. Who knows - November may be our big vacation month now!

scandun
July 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I also noticed this two days ago. I was considering a Paul Gauguin Tahiti/Cook Islands cruise and a Silversea cruise, and finally booked the PG cruise for Feb.2010 on July 1st, due to the timing of the cruise, and when I did the booking, they suddenly announced a further 10% discount, so I thought I was lucky ( but who knows, maybe price will go down further ).

And one day later, I saw the 60% off from Silversea, actually most of them are 60% off throughout the end of 2010. I guess they need to act quickly, as Seabourn are doing 65% discount for selected voyages.

yogagal47
July 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM
We are also interested in the 11/10 Rio-BA cruise. A price decrease would provide a nice incentive. I was a bit concerned about that particular itinerary because of the extra night in Rio at the beginning and the last night on the ship in port in BA at the end(why pay for a cruise when it is not "cruising?" ) and also was not sure about the ports. We are looking for an excuse to visit both those cities however.

ging466
July 5th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I had been considering the transatlantic on the 'new' Spirit for October 2010. The prices were 50% off for the XAP (or whatever it was) and now they are 35% off for EBI. I worked out numbers and the prices are roughly the same!!

What's going on?

Also where are the itineraries that are 60% off?

Cheers
ging466

scandun
July 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I had been considering the transatlantic on the 'new' Spirit for October 2010. The prices were 50% off for the XAP (or whatever it was) and now they are 35% off for EBI. I worked out numbers and the prices are roughly the same!!

What's going on?

Also where are the itineraries that are 60% off?

Cheers
ging466

If you refer to voyage 5036, the price starts at usd 3918. you can click on "enticing offer" and then click on "silver sailings programme", then you see all the discounted voyages till end of 2010.

ging466
July 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM
If you refer to voyage 5036, the price starts at usd 3918. you can click on "enticing offer" and then click on "silver sailings programme", then you see all the discounted voyages till end of 2010.

Thankx - I now can find the lead in prices.

Cheers
ging466

yogagal47
July 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Don't know how i got here but here is a link to the pricing offers. The price on the nov '10 Rio to BA is really low but Santiago to Ushuaia sounds pretty nice!
https://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=700&page_type=silversailings&region_id=0&page_id=Enticing&Page=3

DebbieH103
July 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
You can get there from the main page where the ship is floating at sea and there is the offer box across the bottom right of the photo. It does not match the fares shown when you get into a voyage, though, as others have stated. I will definitely be calling after seeing some of these Cloud prices even for Christmas 2010

Mike2131
July 6th, 2009, 04:47 AM
You can get there from the main page where the ship is floating at sea and there is the offer box across the bottom right of the photo. It does not match the fares shown when you get into a voyage, though, as others have stated. I will definitely be calling after seeing some of these Cloud prices even for Christmas 2010
I agree, the 60% off for a holiday sailing next December is, to use their term, enticing! The fare page for a sailing vs. the really discounted Silver Sailing price is similar to what I saw on the Seabourn site. The fare page would state a savings of perhaps 35% but, when you clicked through, the pricing would be 60-65% to reflect their current special. These days it pays to dig!

Mike2131
July 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
The 60% Silver Sailings discounts are wonderful, but they are now off of higher brochure fares. I just watched the price of a Vista Suite on a December 2010 holiday sailing of the Silver Cloud go up $800 pp (from $1,998 to $2,798 before my eyes (as I was flipping between pages). Our June cruise on the PA II now reflects the same discount as the API, but the fare is now over $700 pp higher in our cabin grade. The Silver Sailings savings (say that 3 times fast!) are also now reflected on the fare pages.

The brochure price increase to mitigate the savings is disappointing, but perhaps will include shore excursions and air like most RSSC cruises. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

scandun
July 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM
The 60% Silver Sailings discounts are wonderful, but they are now off of higher brochure fares. I just watched the price of a Vista Suite on a December 2010 holiday sailing of the Silver Cloud go up $800 pp (from $1,998 to $2,798 before my eyes (as I was flipping between pages). Our June cruise on the PA II now reflects the same discount as the API, but the fare is now over $700 pp higher in our cabin grade. The Silver Sailings savings (say that 3 times fast!) are also now reflected on the fare pages.

The brochure price increase to mitigate the savings is disappointing, but perhaps will include shore excursions and air like most RSSC cruises. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

I also noticed they actually increased the brochure fares on a day basis. That maybe due to the depreciation of USD in the past 2 years.

ORDPLATAA
July 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Got the news from my TA this morning - the 11/9 Rio to BA cruises went up $1800 from what was originally listed on the Silver Sailings page. With the air credit, we can get a Vista Suite for $3400 + $250 in taxes. Not sure that $900 is the best way to go - we could probably build an equal experience on land for about that price.

DebbieH103
July 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I called, too, and the Christmas starts at $2798 with $100 port on top vs. the $1998 that was shown last night. I haven't checked today, but I asked inside sales to update the website. I am not so "enticed" as I was though we have been paying $14000 the last two Christmases. I am not as enticed to book 18 months in advance as I was.

On the March 30 1009 I was looking at, instead of $1838, that one is $2718 but includes free airfare from some, so we may go on that one with our family. This is a bit of a bait and switch, but the whole industry seems to be doing it. You literally have to just trust a single moment in time.

DebbieH103
July 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
They did take the chart down, at least from the 60% off square, so that is good. I am sure they had a lot of calls.

ORDPLATAA
July 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Got the news from my TA this morning - the 11/9 Rio to BA cruises went up $1800 from what was originally listed on the Silver Sailings page. With the air credit, we can get a Vista Suite for $3400 + $250 in taxes. Not sure that $900 is the best way to go - we could probably build an equal experience on land for about that price.

Meant to say $7200 total or $900 per day.

LOVE@CRUISE
July 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Do any of you SS regulars think the service and quality will go down along with the prices? Some of the itineraries are not only 60% off, but include free air as well! And what is your experience Debbie with the SS air department? Is it better than Regent's? (ugh)
I am booked for Regent Voyager January 18-February 6 San Diego to Sydney, now I am thinking of doing Voyage 4002 Sydney to Singapore, instead. With the new prices, it is cheaper than Regent excepting Free Excursions, which I believe are of value.. Any thoughts? Thank you all!

DebbieH103
July 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
With the air, it is a similar situation where you take their air or take the credit. Not all gateways are free on this sale, it is more main gateways. Like when I looked for Todd's parents to go with us, air from Jacksonville was $99, but Orlando was free.

Silversea needs to finish the web updates to avoid confusing customers. Has anyone noticed that the air promo page reads the deadline is August 31 but the terms and conditions page within that reads July 31?

dougburns
July 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Boy, I'll tell you, Silversea is really taking advantage of those of us who booked and paid in full by the end of March this year for the Silver Spirit TA from Lisbon to FLL. The new 60% offer is almost a wash when it comes to cruise fare( was $7196/per and is now $7118/per for a Silver Suite ), but the air difference is significant( west region was $1499/per and is now $999/per ). We have our T/A checking to see if we get the new air rate, but I'm afraid I already know the answer. If Silversea keeps this kind of stuff up they're going to lose our business.

ORDPLATAA
July 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I think we are going to hold off - we have another 6 months to make up our minds. We may just wait and do a milestone trip for my birthday in May 2011. $2600pp - I would have jumped at it. $3600pp - not so sure.

WesW
July 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Doug, hang in there..we are also having our TA see (despite making the offer to
new bookings) if SS will extend the new/lower offer to our booking...didn't realize
they lowered the SS air offers as we used ff miles for our air...good luck

dougburns
July 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Just heard back from our T/A. Silversea is going to review all current bookings that were booked thru T/As. If the new pricing is less than what you've paid, they will reduce your costs. That includes the Silver Sky program. They need 72 hours to make any adjustments. So, we'll see what they come up with. Our air is a bit complicated, because we took a deviation and requested a specific airline/schedule. That was an extra $450, but worth it with what we got. We're waiting to see what the differential is. Anyway, it appears that SS is going to try to make it right for everyone. I would recommend that you contact your T/A Thursday or Friday to check on your booking/cost. They're obviously swamped for the next three days at SS trying to do all of this, so I wouldn't bother them at this point. Patience is the watchword!

Wellseasoned
July 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info, Dougburns. I will contact our TA about the changes. We are doing our own air because Silversea was too inconvenient since we are doing a back to back with the crossing and the following cruise to Barbados. Wow, initially the published fare for the crossing was $14,395 for Silver suite, and the price for payment by 3/31, if booked through Silversea, was $7,446. Now the published fare is $17,795 but the 60% off price is $7,118 without the advanced payment requirement! I am certainly happy that SS apparently wants to be fair to those of us who booked and paid early.

NJBelle
July 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi, to get back to the "new Silver Sailings" pricing - I was disappointed to see that mostly what SS did was raise the "published" price so that the new discounted price was about what it was before. That is the case for the cruise that we are looking at anyway. I called our TA this morning (before I knew about the way they were handling this) to get the numbers and we were not very happy when we saw them. So, would like to see if anything else is included, otherwise, this is not an enticing offer at all. I saw much better pricing on the website yesterday for the Silver Sailings, but these were all increased when I looked at the same cruises today. Again, very disappointing.

ging466
July 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
2 weeks ago, the Spirit transatlantic in Oct 2010 was $4897 if u paid by 23 Oct 09, today the same cruise is $4838 and that's supposed to be with 60% off.

So a $59 difference....wow!!

As a poster already mentioned, all SS has done is increase their pretend price (which they call the publish price) and then taken 60% off that.

This is a good marketing ploy, put 60% as a discount and people will think they are getting quite a bargain.

Does SS want to fill their ships or not...interesting.

Cheers
ging466

e.h. beach bum
July 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I also noticed they actually increased the brochure fares on a day basis. That maybe due to the depreciation of USD in the past 2 years.

WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

dougburns
July 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I agree that it's a bit of a shell game, but 50% plus on a line like SS for nearly all 2010 cruises is a darn good deal. Also, check the air rates. Our 3 Jan 2010 Spirit cruise west region rate went from $1499/per to $999/per. That's significant. We're looking at the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise as well. Rates like this won't last forever.

Mike2131
July 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
e. h. beach bum: WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

dougburns: I agree that it's a bit of a shell game, but 50% plus on a line like SS for nearly all 2010 cruises is a darn good deal. Also, check the air rates. Our 3 Jan 2010 Spirit cruise west region rate went from $1499/per to $999/per. That's significant. We're looking at the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise as well. Rates like this won't last forever.

It is not a wash for the PA II. They moved the discounts back to the API levels, but with the higher brochure fare, the rates for the Norway expeditions have gone up quite a bit ($700 pp in our cat. for our sailing). There is also no "special" air program to balance any increase. I am just glad we are already booked.

scandun
July 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

I think the 60% off is still cheaper than the current 50% off:

I paid about usd 3500 pp for a May 2007 silver wind 7 day barcelona - rome cruise, that was a 50% off brochure price, for a veranda suite.
( so brochure price was about usd 7000 )

For a similar Sept. 2009 silver wind voyage 2930, the 50% off price is about usd 4500 pp for veranda suite. ( brochure price usd 8995 )

For a similar May 2010 silver wind voyage 2015, the 60% off price is about usd 3878 pp for veranda suite. ( brochure price usd 9695 )

I have not taken air promo into consideration for all these prices. I think the air promo is a discrimination on guests originating other than the selected US and Canadian gateways.

The prices in the weekend were much more enticing, but nobody works in the weekend so it was not possible to book at that time, SS must have made a joke to us all.

WesW
July 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Pls see this link that provides some more fidelity on SS's new 60% off sale:

http://cruises.about.com/b/2009/07/07/silversea-2010-discounts.htm

mdmourges
July 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I guess it is all about the point of view you start with. We booked the 4/6/10 Shadow cruise (Barbados to San Juan) while onboard this same cruise (it was on Cloud in '09) this year. I was quite happy at the time with the pricing and discounts for the silver suite we booked. Under the new program my price as gone down a fair amount, so I really like the new pricing program. lololo

Mark
Annnapolis, MD

LOVE@CRUISE
July 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
The price has dropped significantly on SS Whisper Jan 18-Feb 5 Sydney to Singapore. Dropped From $9402 to $7683 for a Veranda Suite, and $1799 is the economy air supplement now: was $2499 before the new pricing took effect. The weekend showed it at only $6800, so they did "fool with" the brochure rate before the official announcement, but it is still cheaper no matter how you look at it!

ScottToronto
July 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
:confused:Good evening,
I saw the rates climb greatly between Sunday night and Monday AM.
Yes, they have included air on most of their voyages but the cruise I was interested in went up significantly. Enough to cover the air and much more.
I'm most bothered by the change in their Venetian Society discount. It was always based on the published price and since Monday it's now based on the discounted price. For those of you who have travelled with Silverseas for many years like myself, you'll understand the significant difference in savings.

What's next?

I love Silversea and have been a loyal passenger for over 10 yrs.
They need to reconsider some of their new changes.

Bon voyage!
ScottToronto

NJBelle
July 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Yes, I agree. The particular cruise that my family and I are interested in went up in price, there is no air that will be included and there are no Venetian Society savings. So, there is nothing at all to entice me. And mostly SS ticked me off by increasing all the Silver Savings fares from what was listed over the weekend. I had tentatively anticipated several different trips based on the new lower fares I saw there, so was extremely disappointed yesterday when I saw the real story. I am not very happy with Silversea right now and am thinking about a land vacation instead for the one that I referred to above.

ging466
July 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I think the air promo is a discrimination on guests originating other than the selected US and Canadian gateways.

I can't imagine how many cruises I'd be taking if the air was thrown in too. Imagine free air from Australia....woo hoo :D

Maybe I'll have to retire to North America!!

Cheers
ging466

swindy
July 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM
"I'm most bothered by the change in their Venetian Society discount. It was always based on the published price and since Monday it's now based on the discounted price. For those of you who have travelled with Silverseas for many years like myself, you'll understand the significant difference in savings."

ScottToronto,
Where have you got your information from regarding the VS savings now being applied after other discounts and not from the published fare. I agree with you that this will impact significantly as I assume if will also apply to 100+ and 250+ VS discounts?

We have two voyages booked for 2010 and both of them would be more expensive on the new Silver Sailings, one of them quite a lot. I am calculating them both with the original VS discounts.

scandun
July 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I can't imagine how many cruises I'd be taking if the air was thrown in too. Imagine free air from Australia....woo hoo :D

Maybe I'll have to retire to North America!!

Cheers
ging466

Maybe by that time there is no air promo...
I can only enjoy part of the benefit for south american or caribbean cruises.

ScottToronto
July 8th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hi Swindy,
Good morning!
You were asking where I got the information regarding the change in VS discount. I actually booked a cruise for 2010 directly through Silverseas and the agent explained the new policy. Silverseas would have been better discounting less on the cruise and protecting our "beloved" VS discount. I also have reached my (100+) and counted on this nice bonus.

Perhaps they'll change it.

Regards,

ScottToronto :rolleyes:

swindy
July 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked on the website and can't find this info.

I think it is another "stealth" repricing and it obviously affects those Silversea guests who have been loyal the longest. We will reach 250 days on our next voyage and were expecting to receive the extra discount on the published fare on our 2010 voyages.....

Not happy!!!!!!

dougburns
July 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
One thing that I like about the new pricing is that you don't have to pay in full a year in advance to get the 60% rate. It's back to the old system of 10% down and final payment 90 days prior to the cruise. We just booked the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise yesterday. Also, the air rates are very reasonable for most cruises and some include air. For that cruise the air from Phoenix-FLL-Phoenix is $599/per or @ $1200 total. Even with the senior rate on Southwest, which is about the cheapest you can find, the total was @ $1900.

mdmourges
July 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I too questioned the change in VS and onboard discount. In my case, both were 5% off of the base, now they are 5% off the net (I have a quote from my agent). I am still getting a better deal than I had but I was surprised by the change in the way discounts were applied.

Mark
Annapolis, MD

Maineac
July 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It's extremely frustrating for those of us that not only paid in full a year in advance, but also had to take out travel insurance at that time.

Sitmarboy
July 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone, just joined today but have been reading the forum for a while so I feel like I know some of you. I too am frustrated with the new fares on offer. I paid in full 3/31/09 for the LA - Tahiti cruise with a 45% off published rate. Now I see that there "was" a 75% off special if paid in full by 5/31/08. Contacted my TA who contacted SS and so far SS have credited me $600 which is supposed to reflect the difference between my fare paid and the "current" fare available. But as to why they are still displaying a fare which never really existed and which has expired is beyond me. Incidently, I was checking the rates in May and the 75% discount was not available at that time. I love SS but what are they up to?

avalon1025
July 9th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I think Silversea has handled this price change very well, both my 2010 cruises went down in price, the one I paid in full for had the difference refunded and the second now does not need to be paid a full year in advance. I could not be happier!

DebbieH103
July 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I think the luxury lines have gone out of their way to be fair on these promos the last few months. They are giving better and better promos, and to me, it is a benefit if someone comes along and reduces and gives you a new price when you already agreed to a certain deal. If I buy an Infiniti and let it sit there 8 months and put no miles on it, I don't expect them to take it back at the year end sale or come drop me a check for the $8000 I know they will be giving off. If I was not going to use it for 8 months, I could have waited. Hey, it might have gone up, too.

Meanwhile, the mass markets are doing rock bottom deals, offering something new every few days and doing a bait and switch on their blocked group space and threatening on their contracts without early payment (aka Carnival). They are doing this where a sale has been effective and they think they can get more $$.

I really respect Silversea, and I think that they love their clients. I am not trying to be a cheerleader. I am just stating my opinions on buying anything anywhere. Of course, I help people get reductions when I know they can be done and try even if I think they can't, but it really is a business practice that has not always been around in the world as a common thing like it is today.

Mike2131
July 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Without the promotions, we would never have looked at stepping up from our mainstream/premium favorites - Princess and Celebrity. I am not sure who was actually first, but what caught our eye initially was the fact Crystal included 2010 sailings. Then Regent and Seabourn joined in with their programs and finally Silversea. Even though we have never sailed a luxury line, the anticipated value made the move a no brainer (at least for us).

I think two things made people upset - 1) the fact that some one "pulled the switch" early and posted those really discounted prices that made me start this thread and 2) the fact that some prices actually went up - in some cases quite a bit higher. That was the case for our PA II cruise next year. I realize he expedition cruises are a different animal, but it definitely precluded any itinerary switch on our part.

In our case it is a moot point. We were already booked with the API discount and will stay with the advance payment to preserve the savings. Secondly, even though the economy is still limping along, I don't think many of us feel these promotions are here to stay. I guess we will enjoy them while we can.

WesW
July 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Just received our refund from Silversea (from our maiden TA in Jan) due to change in new pricing stategy announced Monday. We asked our TA to check on Monday (6 Jul), to refund today (10 Jul) ...good turn around...

swindy
July 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Just received our refund from Silversea (from our maiden TA in Jan) due to change in new pricing stategy announced Monday. We asked our TA to check on Monday (6 Jul), to refund today (10 Jul) ...good turn around...

ColonelWes,

Are you in a Verandah Suite?
Our TA has been told by Silversea that this voyage and one we have booked in October 2010 are more expensive for us under the new pricing system!!!!
I'm not sure if we are being penalised as we pay in Pounds Sterling?

dougburns
July 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My understanding is that Silversea pricing is in U.S. Dollars. Depending on the Dollar/Pound exchange rate that may explain your problem. We're in a Silver Suite and the difference was only $156 total(less) for the Spirit T/A. Airfare was $1000 total less.

WesW
July 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, a veranda...understand your situation may be different with conversion rates
changing...we watch the value of the Euro daily, as we have our annual hiking trip to the Dolomites in September..since mid May our hotel/rental car price has gone up 10% with the fall of the dollarvs Euro..good luck

swindy
July 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I think Silversea have taken this repricing as an opportunity to review it's currency rates!!!

MMDown Under
July 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, a veranda...understand your situation may be different with conversion rates
changing...we watch the value of the Euro daily, as we have our annual hiking trip to the Dolomites in September..since mid May our hotel/rental car price has gone up 10% with the fall of the dollarvs Euro..good luck

We are watching the conversion rates closely also, as our dollar has been falling again. Last year, it fell from .92c to .60cUS.

(Off topic. As I have just recommended to my younger daughter that she do a hiking trip in the Dolomites, could you please suggest hikes. We spent Christmas in the Dolomites with our elder daughter.)

dougburns
July 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Just talked to our T/A and SS has refunded the cruise differential($156) and the airfare differential($1000). Have to change our hotel reservation and air schedule though. We were traveling from PHX on 30 Dec(Wed) to arrive LIS 31 Dec and spend 3 nights at Lapa Palace. Continental doesn't operate that route any longer on Tues and Wed, so we're traveling on 31 Dec to arrive LIS 1 Jan and we're taking the SS 2 night pre-cruise at The Four Seasons the Ritz. SS is slowly working their way thru the bookings and they are doing what they said they would do.

WesW
July 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Doug, good to hear you got a timely SS refund as well...only wish we had less than 176 days before boarding the Spirit.

MMDownunder...glad to...Host Dan pls excuse the short detour on this thread.

For the 12/25 years we have stayed at the best family run hotel in
Corvara (Dolomites), pls see www.sporthotel-panorama.com then
click on what past guests have said for our review.

FYI, have posted Dolomite/Corvara pictures on FB here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=2011775&id=1039868706

For general hiking in the Dolomites pls check this site:

http://www.alta-badia.org/en/sport-offers/

For hikes that start from Corvara our favorite is Piz Boe..from Corvara, take
the lift Boe up the mountain then follow the well marked trail--a demanding
hike that ends at Rigugio Hutte Capanna Fassa, the top of Piz Boe 3152m.
Pls check this site:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150827/piz-bo.html

Your Daughter is in for a very special treat; spectacular views, wonderful/warm
Italian people, delicious food & wine.

ging466
July 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I think Silversea have taken this repricing as an opportunity to review it's currency rates!!!

Hi swindy
Not sure of your situation but may I suggest that you use an American TA and pay in USD rather than GBP. I discovered that if I pay in USD rather than getting a quote from an Aussie TA and paying in AUD, I save quite a bit of money on the exchange rate. The Aussie TA seems to calculate at a less favourable rate. The other nice thing is that I can cancel any time up to the 3 month cut off and get my deposit back, no questions asked. All the TAs that I have used in Australia charge an administration fee and then want you to rebook another cruise with the old deposit.

As I said, not sure of your situation but as SS charge in USD it's nice to know exactly what exchange rate you are getting.

Cheers
ging466

luvs2cruiseanytime
July 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I just joined on the recommendation of someone we met on a cruise. I have been reading about the pricing and thought we too would get a better deal. Friends of ours are joining us on a sailing on the Spirit in April and it would cost us MORE to “convert” to the new pricing structure even with our rebate from our agent! Almost $300.00p.p.more with the air credit!! Now, maybe it is because we have over 250 days on SS? Our agent sent us a breakdown of the original pricing, and what it would be with the “new” pricing. SS is really not giving away anything. They neglected to say in the ad our 10% VS is now based the fare once everything else is deducted, or that they raised the retail rates, and the onboard savings will now only apply to certain sailings! Yes, we took advantage of their XAPB when the time came. I do know from my agent that SS is buried trying to get the bookings converted, and also figuring out if it is better for a booking to stay put or convert. Sure looked enticing, but did not help us. Possibly it works best for cruisers who do not have the additional sea days. Who knows! We do love SS though! Great website! Keep up the great work!

swindy
July 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
The biggest issue for me is not that we don't benefit from the new Savings......

I feel very disappointed that Silversea is penalising loyal guests with the new pricing. Previously after 250 days you had "earned" an additional discount of 10% off the Published Fare. If it is now applied to the discounted fare then it could only be worth 4% on some sailings.
So what does that say to all those guests who have stayed loyal and travelled for years with Silversea?

I'd like to ask if Steve Tucker is reading the boards lately?

Goldens4
July 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
OK. Here is what I discovered. We are booked this year on the Shadow for Thanksgiving for 10 days. We received 50%, airfare credit, and the $1000 SB credit. I looked at the SS website for the same cruise for 2010. Even with the 60%, our 2009 is less expensive. Go figure.

wripro
July 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
These 60% off sales were probably dreamed up by the same marketing person who gave us butler service for everyone.

MMDown Under
July 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
[quote=ColonelWes;20317714]
MMDownunder...glad to...

Thank you so much for the information, which I have passed on to both our daughters.

travelingduo
July 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
This is what I posted on another thread:
We had booked and paid in full for two upcoming cruises (Spirit in April of 10 and Shadow in October of 10). Both sailings are now offering free air and lower fares. Our TA called SS and they immediately adjusted our fares (reduced by $1800) and added on the free air! No arguments, no fuss, no problem. I am so pleased that SS is different than all the rest. SS has earned my loyalty.

swindy
July 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM
This is what I posted on another thread:
We had booked and paid in full for two upcoming cruises (Spirit in April of 10 and Shadow in October of 10). Both sailings are now offering free air and lower fares. Our TA called SS and they immediately adjusted our fares (reduced by $1800) and added on the free air! No arguments, no fuss, no problem. I am so pleased that SS is different than all the rest. SS has earned my loyalty.

I can understand why you are pleased but not all guests are benefitting from the changes.

cmhmarine
July 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I can understand why you are pleased but not all guests are benefitting from the changes.

Examples??

swindy
July 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Neither of the 2010 voyages we have booked have attracted any refunds.
Also, as stated in this and another thread, "earned" VS discounts will be deducted from the net fare rather than the gross fare which has always been the practice.

Mike2131
July 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Examples??
Our PA II cruise went up over $700 pp with the higher brochure fares. The API discount was reinstated, but the higher brochure fare resulted in higher prices across the board. We booked under the previous pricing with the API incentive. We will stay with the structure we booked under and pay by the due date to preserve the savings.

I know expedition cruises are a different animal, but it is a little disappointing. I am just glad we booked early.

MJN1
July 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
My TA just e-mailed me with a US-$ 18.-- (yes, EIGHTEEN DOLLARS!) refund for our May 2010 cruise on the Spirit. Yes, SS now offers a 60% discount (vs. 35% EBI + 15% APB = 50% before), but they also increased the published list price by 25%!
In addition, like for everyone else who booked previously and paid in full 12 months before the cruise, they have my money for a year...
Creative - yes, smart - NO! :mad:

travelingduo
July 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
MJN1, that is too bad. Are you getting the free air? Is it possible that there are different fares for you in the UK? I think it would be embarrassing to refund such a paltry amount. :eek:

MJN1
July 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
travelingduo,
we got $ 800 p.p. off instead off free air before and this has not changed. SS now offered $ 125 p.p. ship board credit or to return my money (minus deposit) for time being. Still have to work out which way to go.
My TA used "tricky and stupid" in describing this move by SS. One does wonder if anyone at SS had thought this through...:confused:

Jade13
July 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
What exactly is the issue here? My understanding is that if a fare is 50% off you can not combine other offers. For example, we were under a 50% off fare but could not also get the New to Silver Seas OBC. Well, our TA did get some OBC worked out but that had to do with another issue that the cruise we wanted not being available when we went to book as stateroom availability is not listed in real time. So, we picked a diffrent itinerary.

Wellseasoned
July 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Jade, your understanding of the previous policy is not correct. For example, on our upcoming Spirit transatlantic, there was a 50% reduction for early payment by March 31 (later changed to May 31). But there was an additional 5% off the full BROCHURE price if you have sailed 100 days, or 10% off BROCHURE if you have sailed 250 days. Had this been a Venetian cruise, the Venetian discount would also have applied off the full BROCHURE price. In the NEW system, the BROCHURE prices have increased, the 60% discounts are based on those NEW prices, and the additional discounts are based on the 60% discount prices, NOT on the NEW full BROCHURE prices. The bottom line is that the new ultimate price for frequent floaters usually increases.

Mike2131
July 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Jade, your understanding of the previous policy is not correct. For example, on our upcoming Spirit transatlantic, there was a 50% reduction for early payment by March 31 (later changed to May 31). But there was an additional 5% off the full BROCHURE price if you have sailed 100 days, or 10% off BROCHURE if you have sailed 250 days. Had this been a Venetian cruise, the Venetian discount would also have applied off the full BROCHURE price. In the NEW system, the BROCHURE prices have increased, the 60% discounts are based on those NEW prices, and the additional discounts are based on the 60% discount prices, NOT on the NEW full BROCHURE prices. The bottom line is that the new ultimate price for frequent floaters usually increases.
I can certainly understand the frustration of many of the loyal Silversea clients. On a lighter note, I love the term "frequent floaters".