Sotuta de Peon, Live Hacienda tour - Has anyone done this tour?

World Gallery

We are looking into the Sotuta de Peon Live Hacienda tour. You can read about it at http://www.mayanroutes.com/tours/progreso/prosp.html

I stumbled across it on tripadvisor.com while researching Progresso. They do have a company that does a tour here but it is 1 and a 1/2 hours one way so that is a total of 3 hours driving and you are there for 3 hours. My question, is it worth it? Is 3 hours enough time to take it all in (that is all we will have)? Can anyone tell about their experience there?

It does seem to be a very unique and nice tour. Here is the description from their website:

Sotuta de Peon, Live Hacienda, is the restoration project of a landmark located in the heart of the ancient henequen zone in the Yucatan state, and gives a true glimpse of what was once a fully operational Henequen Hacienda in the grand style and tradition of this period.

When touring Sotuta de Peon, our visitors will literally travel back in time, transported on wooden platforms called "Trucks" which are pulled by "mules" over Cauville rails, as were originally used by the workers.

Here, you will witness the step-by-step process of the transformation of the Henequen (or Green Gold as it was known throughout the region), from plant to fiber and from fiber to finished product.

You will also have the opportunity to see the antique machinery that has been rescued from the ravages of time and rebuilt to precise operational capacity. Your tour will also include a visit to a typical Mayan House.

And add to this the unique geological formations of our secret attractions, the Cenote or beautiful underground rivers of crystal clear water, highly sought after, alkaline waters. Take the time for a refreshing swim at the end of your tour, where you can safely swim in the cool waters of the Cenote. Or, if you prefer, we have a huge swimming pool, surrounded by lush gardens of tropical flowers and brilliant green trees and indigenous plants.

• 1 month later...
We are looking into the Sotuta de Peon Live Hacienda tour. You can read about it at http://www.mayanroutes.com/tours/progreso/prosp.html

I stumbled across it on tripadvisor.com while researching Progresso. They do have a company that does a tour here but it is 1 and a 1/2 hours one way so that is a total of 3 hours driving and you are there for 3 hours. My question, is it worth it? Is 3 hours enough time to take it all in (that is all we will have)? Can anyone tell about their experience there?

Did you do this tour? I stumbled across it on tripadvisor as well. I was a bit worried that it was too far away and I didn't find the tour operator that you did. I was thinking about hiring a taxi.

Did you do this tour? I stumbled across it on tripadvisor as well. I was a bit worried that it was too far away and I didn't find the tour operator that you did. I was thinking about hiring a taxi.

We ended up not doing this tour because I felt it was too much travel time but was very interested in it and think it will be nice. I get nervous about the rode conditions and I don't like two line highways with oncoming traffic (not sure if it was this kind of highway) and that much travel time was too much for me on vacation. We ended up doing a city tour of Merida with Autoprogresso that we booked on the spot when we got there. It was a very nice tour and a great day for a city tour because it was cool and sunny.

We ended up not doing this tour because I felt it was too much travel time but was very interested in it and think it will be nice. I get nervous about the rode conditions and I don't like two line highways with oncoming traffic (not sure if it was this kind of highway) and that much travel time was too much for me on vacation. We ended up doing a city tour of Merida with Autoprogresso that we booked on the spot when we got there. It was a very nice tour and a great day for a city tour because it was cool and sunny.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived