PDA

View Full Version : Recent cruisers - Need Seapass and Passport??

sydneysmom517
January 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM
It has been some time since I was on RCCL and I don't remember the policy. Do you only need your SeaPass to board the ship at each destination? When we were on Disney last year, we were required to present both our passes and our passport to get on and off the ship every time. Thanks in advance...I looked on the website and in the forum but didn't see the answer.

amybeth4
January 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
GENERALLY all you'll need is your sea pass, but if you DO need ID, they'll tell you in the Cruise Compass the night before. When that's the case, I just bring my driver's license and leave my passport safely locked in the safe.

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
It has been some time since I was on RCCL and I don't remember the policy. Do you only need your SeaPass to board the ship at each destination? When we were on Disney last year, we were required to present both our passes and our passport to get on and off the ship every time. Thanks in advance...I looked on the website and in the forum but didn't see the answer.
No... You will only need your Seapass to get back onboard in each port..We usually have our DL with us but it has never been necessary..Always leave your passport locked in inroom safe....Enjoy your cruise

luckyprincess
January 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
On Freedom last week they said to have a picture id and our seapass at every port but no one ever asked for our picture id. Even when a gentleman meant to check us before we got to the ship boarded our bus after an excursion, he just had us hold up our seapass cards...

amybeth4
January 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Ashland, at two of our three Liberty ports, the Compass DEFINITELY said to also bring EITHER a form of ID or proof of citizenship. But as Lucky said, no one EVER looked at anything but the sea pass card.

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Ashland, at two of our three Liberty ports, the Compass DEFINITELY said to also bring EITHER a form of ID or proof of citizenship. But as Lucky said, no one EVER looked at anything but the sea pass card.
The Compass usually always says that.."As I said" we usually bring our DL but have never had to show it......"Never" a good idea to take your passport on shore with you..even in Russia you are only to have a copy of the first page......

bob278
January 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
The Compass usually always says that.."As I said" we usually bring our DL but have never had to show it......"Never" a good idea to take your passport on shore with you..even in Russia you are only to have a copy of the first page......
The problem with that advice is it doesn't cover you if you miss the ship. Even from the Caribbean, if you fly back to the US you're supposed to have a passport to enter the country. I don't think a copy will do much good. All you need to do is run into a strictly-by-the-book customs agent and you are in for the hassle of a lifetime.

We have never been asked for our passport when re-boarding the ship (except possibly in Egypt - I seem to remember we had to show it getting off and back on, but I'm not positive), but I would truly hate to miss the ship and be stranded in a country without my passport. I admit I am lax about that in the Caribbean, but anywhere else, I carry my passport and a copy of my wife's and she does the opposite. That way if, God forbid, we get stranded AND one of us loses our passport, we will still have one original and one copy to show authorities. That is just much more comforting to me than having 2 copies (or nothing).

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The problem with that advice is it doesn't cover you if you miss the ship. Even from the Caribbean, if you fly back to the US you're supposed to have a passport to enter the country. I don't think a copy will do much good. All you need to do is run into a strictly-by-the-book customs agent and you are in for the hassle of a lifetime.

We have never been asked for our passport when re-boarding the ship (except possibly in Egypt - I seem to remember we had to show it getting off and back on, but I'm not positive), but I would truly hate to miss the ship and be stranded in a country without my passport. I admit I am lax about that in the Caribbean, but anywhere else, I carry my passport and a copy of my wife's and she does the opposite. That way if, God forbid, we get stranded AND one of us loses our passport, we will still have one original and one copy to show authorities. That is just much more comforting to me than having 2 copies (or nothing).
Yikes..miss the ship.....and be stranded..:eek:........Then do you think showing a "copy" and one "real passport" that you "both" would be able to leave, If this was a strictly-by-the-book agent ??

twoatsea
January 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Honestly, I'm not being critical, I just don't understand why anyone would question whether they must/should/need to keep their passport on their person at all times when in a foreign country!:confused: It seems I only run across this question on cruise forums, which is soooo curious to me. It's like cruisers think their home country is the ship, therefore if the passport is on the ship - I'm OK!

Bottom line - A passport is legally required in a foreign country - that's why we must have them. Several local authority branches in foreign countries have the legal right to require any foreigner to present his/her passport at any & all times - in some countries, they don't even worry about "legal" right. Besides that, USA laws do not apply in foreign countries - in other words, quoting USA rights(!) does not work. A foreign traveler can & may be immediately taken into custody when unable to present proper ID - a passport - not a photocopy, not a driver's license.

Besides, what if the foreign cruiser misses the ship due to an accident or delay....or a challenge by the authorities? What foreign government will accept a 'copy' as adequate ID - or a driver's license from another country? None will, not even the USA. The foreigner will not be allowed to board a plane in order to leave the country & catch up with the ship or to go home.

Do cruisers think the captain will turn around & bring back the passport? The most he/she will do is to stick the passport in the mail at the next port.

So, if one is delayed in a foreign country, this is what happens - the American Consulate/Embassy will advise that they do not/can not issue passports. But they will assist in obtaining a replacement from the USA, i.e., give the stranded USA traveler the forms to complete & to be mailed back to the USA issuer. The appliction forms will be marked as 'expedite', hopefully, but it will probably take at least 2 weeks, & quite possibly much longer to receive the passport replacement. During that time, of course, the stranded traveler must pay all of his/her expenses, i.e., food, lodging. Then of course, if employed, there is the loss of income. If prescription medication is needed, there is that problem & expense, on & on.

A waist money belt will adequately protect one's passport from pickpockets. The waist money belt should be placed DEEP INSIDE one's underpants. If not deep inside underpants, the belt could become unbuckled or broken & slip out the slacks/shorts leg, landing on the sidewalk without the traveler noticing. A money pack with a string/strap around the neck is not adequate - the strap can be seen & cut. A band wrapped around an arm, leg, or ankle is not adequate; could become loose & drop thru clothing. Carrying in a pocket or purse is not safe. In a bra is not safe - can slip out.

Please travel smart & safely.

GXmanDC
January 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Yikes..miss the ship.....and be stranded..:eek:........Then do you think showing a "copy" and one "real passport" that you "both" would be able to leave, If this was a strictly-by-the-book agent ??

The issue is not leaving, it is arriving back in the US. Unless you are in Cuba or Iran, the country you are leaving could care less.

jonbgd
January 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
While the above posters work out their differences:D
Your seapass is required and an Id is always recommended in ports in case of emergency I always carry My DL and Major credit card just in case
There is also a passport card you can carry for North American Travel

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
While the above posters work out their differences:D
Your seapass is required and an Id is always recommended in ports in case of emergency I always carry My DL and Major credit card just in case
There is also a passport card you can carry for North American Travel
Yes...Seapass,DL & Credit Card agree... But what is a passport card ?...... We were told in Russia just a copy of our passport would be all that is required ?? Do you know if this incorrect ??

bob278
January 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Nope. I just feel that at least one of us would have less problems with authorities in the foreign country. But we would be better off than someone with nothing but a seapass card and a driver's license or a copy of a passport (that is not official in anybody's eyes - all it will do with the American embassy/consulate is give you the passport number, but in a situation like that, every little bit helps).

twoatsea
January 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Steve, I don't believe any airline will allow passing thru security & boarding a plane going to the USA without showing a passport at checkin. No way. Therefore, you won't leave that country, unless one land travels between foreign countries - which does no good even it can be accomplished, except perhaps catch up with the ship - perhaps. And then there is always the risk of a challenge by local authorities.

broberts
January 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
To actually board the ship you will just need your SeaPass card. However, at the discretion of local authorities you may need to present photo id to gain access to the cruise terminal / pier area.

If I recall correctly I've always had to show photo id in Nassau, St Maarten and San Juan; sometimes in St Thomas. Don't recall other ports. While photo id requirements can be loose in foreign ports, e.g. Nassau & St Maarten, passports are readily accepted while DLs are either rejected or come under heavy scrutiny.

You probably can, and I know those who have, get away with just your SeaPass card in busy cruise ports. Especially if you are female ;). But you are going to get hassled.

sjb317
January 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'm curious. . . to all the people who are firmly on the "always carry your passport while in port" side: what do you do if you are on a cruise and the ship keeps your passport? We have been on several cruises when we were required to surrender our passports at check-in and they were not returned until the last day. This was the case on our "Around the Horn" cruise last year, we did not have access to our passports until the last sea day.
Sherri:)

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Nope. I just feel that at least one of us would have less problems with authorities in the foreign country. But we would be better off than someone with nothing but a seapass card and a driver's license or a copy of a passport (that is not official in anybody's eyes - all it will do with the American embassy/consulate is give you the passport number, but in a situation like that, every little bit helps).
Best of luck..and hope no one ever has to deal with this situation...Yikes !! What a story that could become..Happy cruising !!

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
To actually board the ship you will just need your SeaPass card. However, at the discretion of local authorities you may need to present photo id to gain access to the cruise terminal / pier area.

If I recall correctly I've always had to show photo id in Nassau, St Maarten and San Juan; sometimes in St Thomas. Don't recall other ports. While photo id requirements can be loose in foreign ports, e.g. Nassau & St Maarten, passports are readily accepted while DLs are either rejected or come under heavy scrutiny.

You probably can, and I know those who have, get away with just your SeaPass card in busy cruise ports. Especially if you are female ;). But you are going to get hassled.
One more good reason to be a "female"....;) Hummm does this work only if it's a male agent or ?????

jonbgd
January 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yes...Seapass,DL & Credit Card agree... But what is a passport card ?...... We were told in Russia just a copy of our passport would be all that is required ?? Do you know if this incorrect ??
Pasport card is good for North American Travel
I think Russia is over in Europe:D
The copy is so you will have your passport # for replacement in case of emergency

MISSYLOU
January 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm curious. . . to all the people who are firmly on the "always carry your passport while in port" side: what do you do if you are on a cruise and the ship keeps your passport? We have been on several cruises when we were required to surrender our passports at check-in and they were not returned until the last day. This was the case on our "Around the Horn" cruise last year, we did not have access to our passports until the last sea day.

I make two copies of our passports before leaving home. When I am in a foreign port, the passport stays in the safe and the copy goes with me.

Candleonwater
January 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
When I renewed DD's passport, I got both the book and card. I'm never completely comfortable leaving the ship without my passport, but also don't like the idea of carrying it -the size alone makes it less practical for me to carry.

With the card, I'm hoping, if stranded the trek home will be just a bit easier. Supposedly she can travel on just the card when we cruise to the caribbean, but since it's not good for air travel, we got both.

twoatsea
January 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Sherri, can't speak for others, but I would be very uncomfortable with my passport being taken away. I've never been on such a cruise; don't know if I would take such a cruise. I can't think of any justification for a cruiseline doing so.

Is such a practice still in existence in today's world, or is this a past practice? If still done, I'm surprised that travelers accept such a condition. I'm surprised a cruiseline would still have such a policy & possibly chase away paying customers.

What does that ship do if a passenger refuses to relinguish their passport? Is it no cruise then?

I guess the big question is - what does a passenger do who misses the ship? Does the cruiseline reimburse him/her for the lodging/food/other expenses while waiting for a passport replacement? It wasn't the passenger's fault that he/she did not have the passport.

pcur
January 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Honestly, I'm not being critical, I just don't understand why anyone would question whether they must/should/need to keep their passport on their person at all times when in a foreign country!:confused: It seems I only run across this question on cruise forums, which is soooo curious to me. It's like cruisers think their home country is the ship, therefore if the passport is on the ship - I'm OK!

Bottom line - A passport is legally required in a foreign country - that's why we must have them. Several local authority branches in foreign countries have the legal right to require any foreigner to present his/her passport at any & all times - in some countries, they don't even worry about "legal" right. Besides that, USA laws do not apply in foreign countries - in other words, quoting USA rights(!) does not work. A foreign traveler can & may be immediately taken into custody when unable to present proper ID - a passport - not a photocopy, not a driver's license.

Besides, what if the foreign cruiser misses the ship due to an accident or delay....or a challenge by the authorities? What foreign government will accept a 'copy' as adequate ID - or a driver's license from another country? None will, not even the USA. The foreigner will not be allowed to board a plane in order to leave the country & catch up with the ship or to go home.

Do cruisers think the captain will turn around & bring back the passport? The most he/she will do is to stick the passport in the mail at the next port.

So, if one is delayed in a foreign country, this is what happens - the American Consulate/Embassy will advise that they do not/can not issue passports. But they will assist in obtaining a replacement from the USA, i.e., give the stranded USA traveler the forms to complete & to be mailed back to the USA issuer. The appliction forms will be marked as 'expedite', hopefully, but it will probably take at least 2 weeks, & quite possibly much longer to receive the passport replacement. During that time, of course, the stranded traveler must pay all of his/her expenses, i.e., food, lodging. Then of course, if employed, there is the loss of income. If prescription medication is needed, there is that problem & expense, on & on.

A waist money belt will adequately protect one's passport from pickpockets. The waist money belt should be placed DEEP INSIDE one's underpants. If not deep inside underpants, the belt could become unbuckled or broken & slip out the slacks/shorts leg, landing on the sidewalk without the traveler noticing. A money pack with a string/strap around the neck is not adequate - the strap can be seen & cut. A band wrapped around an arm, leg, or ankle is not adequate; could become loose & drop thru clothing. Carrying in a pocket or purse is not safe. In a bra is not safe - can slip out.

Please travel smart & safely.

As I read your post, I'm thinking........."check, check, check". Thanks for saving me the time and all the typing! :D

pcur
January 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM

I had just this problem last October cruising around Australia, and I was plenty peeved about it.

To answer your question, I take a copy of my passport (and now will always have my DL, which is not very useful in a foreign country, but at least is a picture ID). Wherever my passport ISN'T, my copy of it IS.

amybeth4
January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
pcur, to partially answer your question...In all the traveling I've done, I've ALWAYS been told to carry a copy of my passport (which I really never bothered to do either) and keep the original one safe (more or less, haha) in the hotel. If I was mugged or simply lost my purse, I'd be quite SOL since my passport would be gone. However, the chances of getting a catastrophic injury and missing the ship, in my eyes, are slim to none.

I spent five months with five other Americans living and working in Shanghai. You better believe that I didn't go to that job, nor to bars at night, with my passport on me.

I was working in Germany and our passports were taken away from us for well over a week so we could get Russian visas. No one had a problem with this because no one went to work carrying their passports, surrounded by people who could SO easily steal them.

Even in cRaZy communist China, no "authority" ever ran up to me and insisted on seeing my passport.

And all of THAT is why I never carry my passport in lovely St. Thomas, lol.

:)

pcur
January 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Sherri, can't speak for others, but I would be very uncomfortable with my passport being taken away. I've never been on such a cruise; don't know if I would take such a cruise. I can't think of any justification for a cruiseline doing so.

Is such a practice still in existence in today's world, or is this a past practice? If still done, I'm surprised that travelers accept such a condition. I'm surprised a cruiseline would still have such a policy & possibly chase away paying customers.

What does that ship do if a passenger refuses to relinguish their passport? Is it no cruise then?

As I just posted, I was pretty upset about this when I checked in for the cruise in Honolulu. The lady at the check-in counter left the passport with me, but when we got to Sydney I had to give it up. I had a serious chat with the Customer Relations people that they need to make sure this is clearly stated in their cruise documents, because if I hadn't had that copy of my passport with me I would not have had any picture ID at all with me in port all around Australia. The Customer Relations person asked why I didn't have my drivers license with me, and I informed her when I travel I use a passport, when I drive I use a drivers license, and I don't drive in foreign countries.

I agree, and now if I do an extended trip outside the US I will get a passport card to go along with my passport, so I have one or the other with me at all times.

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Pasport card is good for North American Travel
I think Russia is over in Europe:D
The copy is so you will have your passport # for replacement in case of emergency
Thanks for the geography lesson...:D..Sorry the spaces didn't make it appear to be a separate question....:rolleyes:So...Question # 1. What is a passport card ?......Question # 2. Any idea about Russia ?

mommamd
January 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Sherri I am in Indiana too!! Go Colts!!
We have our Picture IDs, DLs for entry to the pier generally, seapass for ship security. Luckily they don't require pic id for our 2 children under 18 yoa, so their passports can stay in the stateroom. We lock our passports up. We are off to Europe on the Brilliance this summer and are planning on the old money belt, but that is harder to accomplish with a tankini?

pcur
January 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
pcur, to partially answer your question...In all the traveling I've done, I've ALWAYS been told to carry a copy of my passport (which I really never bothered to do either) and keep the original one safe (more or less, haha) in the hotel. If I was mugged or simply lost my purse, I'd be quite SOL since my passport would be gone. However, the chances of getting a catastrophic injury and missing the ship, in my eyes, are slim to none.

I spent five months with five other Americans living and working in Shanghai. You better believe that I didn't go to that job, nor to bars at night, with my passport on me.

I was working in Germany and our passports were taken away from us for well over a week so we could get Russian visas. No one had a problem with this because no one went to work carrying their passports, surrounded by people who could SO easily steal them.

Even in cRaZy communist China, no "authority" ever ran up to me and insisted on seeing my passport.

If I was living and working in another part of the world for an extended period of time, and my passport was in jeopardy, I would do the same.

However, I only use mine for travel, and if I was to get stranded in a foreign country I would need the proper document to get OUT of the country, and a copy doesn't cut it. Keeping a copy with me in port is like guaranteeing myself that if there's an emergency, it's gonna be a WORSE emergency 'cause my passport isn't there with me to get me on that airplane. I would be looking at trips to the (hopefully) U.S. embassy, hotel cost while waiting for the replacement, and all on top of whatever poop that fell on me to make me have to stay in the first place! I know that the cruise ship will do everything they can to find my passport and leave it with the dock agent if it was in my cabin safe, but that adds another layer of "eek" to the whole scenario.

So, while traveling I keep it with me in a safe place on my person.

I even checked the travel advisory web site for the U.S. (cannot remember the official name of it), and even THEY say it's a big debate whether to keep it with you or not. To each his or her own.

bob278
January 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM

I would agree with not carrying it if all the authorities had to do to get the original was go to a hotel. But if the ship has sailed (with your passport "safe" in the safe, that won't work. And then you are up that proverbial creek without a paddle.

I guess you don't buy insurance. If you have never needed medical help or had to be evacuated, why bother? Because, since it's never happened to you before, it can't in the future. Right?

We all need to do what makes us comfortable. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it.

pcur
January 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
We have our Picture IDs, DLs for entry to the pier generally, seapass for ship security. Luckily they don't require pic id for our 2 children under 18 yoa, so their passports can stay in the stateroom. We lock our passports up. We are off to Europe on the Brilliance this summer and are planning on the old money belt, but that is harder to accomplish with a tankini?

Think of it more this way: what would you want your children to have with them if they got separated from you in a non-English speaking country? That's what you want to take off the ship.

I've been to Italy several times, and most of them don't speak English. They drive like maniacs and have train strikes which mess up all the transportation in the local area.

It's not what's required of your children; it's what will identify them that I recommend you have with them.

Let me give you an example from my own experience. Our first cruise in the Med. We hired a private driver with two other couples to go to Rome. We arrived at the Vatican, went through the museum, Sistine Chapel, etc., getting separated from the others. But, we had a meeting place in St. Peter's Square at 11:30 AM. Came outside and since it was Wednesday, the Pope was having outside mass. The place was a crush of people, and the square was cordoned off. We were inside the square. We spent 45 minutes frantically searching for our friends, only to find they couldn't get in because of the security blockage.

I was just about to start figuring plan B: how to get back to the ship; what to do if we can't get back in time (it's a 1.5 hour drive from the port; let alone train or bus in a foreign country).

If I hadn't had our passports with me, we'd been SOL, big time!! Luckily, we found our friends and the driver in time.

jonbgd
January 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the geography lesson...:D..Sorry the spaces didn't make it appear to be a separate question....:rolleyes:So...Question # 1. What is a passport card ?......Question # 2. Any idea about Russia ?
The passport card is for NORTH AMERICA travel only it is only good for cruising or land entry not for air entry If you wanted to drive to Mexico or Canada it is used in place of your Passport
OR say if you were in St kitts and wanted to hop over to St Nevis next door on a boat you would just carry the passport card not your passport
I carry it everywhere I travel as it is a photo Id an lasts longer than a photo copy of my passport

I havnt been to Russia but my freinds went there 2 years ago on the Splendor and they carried a copy of their passports first page

sjb317
January 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM

I guess the big question is - what does a passenger do who misses the ship? Does the cruiseline reimburse him/her for the lodging/food/other expenses while waiting for a passport replacement? It wasn't the passenger's fault that he/she did not have the passport.

I was uncomfortable with surrendering my passport,but it has happend on several cruises with the most recent being the South American cruise on RC in January, 2009. But we weren't given a choice, and I don't know what would have happened if we had refused. My guess is we would have been refused boarding. And I don't know what would happen if you missed the ship. I somehow doubt if the cruise line would feel any responsibility. After all, missing the ship was not the cruise line's fault. ;)

Ashland
January 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM
The passport card is for NORTH AMERICA travel only it is only good for cruising or land entry not for air entry If you wanted to drive to Mexico or Canada it is used in place of your Passport
OR say if you were in St kitts and wanted to hop over to St Nevis next door on a boat you would just carry the passport card not your passport
I carry it everywhere I travel as it is a photo Id an lasts longer than a photo copy of my passport

I havnt been to Russia but my freinds went there 2 years ago on the Splendor and they carried a copy of their passports first page
When my passport expires I'll ask about this in addition..I'm assuming then it's the size of a DL ?...Glad to hear what I thought was correct about Russia..Thanks for the info....

bluegirlum
January 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
My passport was taken from our rental car in France when we were visiting a chateau when I was 10. The trunk was broken into and only my bag with my passport was taken. It was a nightmare to replace and that was France and we had a friend who worked in the Embassy. My dad still talks about it. I now carry a copy of my passport with me, as well as copy scanned to my e-mail and sent to my parents and brother. What if you lost your passport just while wandering around or what if you get mugged? Depending on what port you go to, that's more likely to happen than having something catastrophic happen. You just have to take into consideration where you're going.

Also, in Nassau in December, they definitely were checking picture IDs at the port.

sjb317
January 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM

GO COLTS!!!!
Same state, same city
And didn't you just love today's sunshine and warming trend?

cruisenfever
January 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM

As I just posted, I was pretty upset about this when I checked in for the cruise in Honolulu. The lady at the check-in counter left the passport with me, but when we got to Sydney I had to give it up. I had a serious chat with the Customer Relations people that they need to make sure this is clearly stated in their cruise documents, because if I hadn't had that copy of my passport with me I would not have had any picture ID at all with me in port all around Australia. The Customer Relations person asked why I didn't have my drivers license with me, and I informed her when I travel I use a passport, when I drive I use a drivers license, and I don't drive in foreign countries.

I agree, and now if I do an extended trip outside the US I will get a passport card to go along with my passport, so I have one or the other with me at all times.
We've had to relinquish our passports each time we've cruised Australia/NZ (we've done it twice) and also when we cruised around South America (we've done that twice also). We didn't like it..........but we had to do it.

It is not RCI that is making you turn your passport in at check in, but the country/countries that you are visiting. When Customs and Immigration boards the ship, those passports better be ready and available for them to check.

Each foreign country you visit has their own set of rules and regulations that each person visiting must abide by. It's either RCI collect all passports on cruises where required and have them ready for the authorities...............or..............you keep your passport and then present yourself at each and every port to the authorities. That process usually starts very early in the morning and can take a very long time.

Candleonwater
January 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It is the size of a DL. They say to keep it in it's special envelope... which I've done, not sure what happens if you don't.

When my passport expires I'll ask about this in addition..I'm assuming then it's the size of a DL ?...Glad to hear what I thought was correct about Russia..Thanks for the info....