PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy vanilla - Grand Cayman or Jamaica?

hartskys
January 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
A couple of cruises ago I bought some vanilla on one of the islands but can't remember which one.

klmorg
January 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cozumel perhaps?? That's where I got some before, based on recommendations from these boards.

dan40
January 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM
A couple of cruises ago I bought some vanilla on one of the islands but can't remember which one.

Vanilla is cheap in Mexico. I don't think any is grown in the Caymans, but don't know about Jamaica. But don't think so. Tons of it in Cozumel.

arthierry
January 29th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Definitely in Cozumel...

golfadj
January 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Without a doubt cozumel

hartskys
January 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Darn! :rolleyes:

I was hoping it was an island we were going to. Oh well, next cruise.

Thanks

Sea Born
January 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Well, I prefer to get it in Mexico. Just my personal choice.

grandmallie
January 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
thats where I bought mine, im down to a half a bottle and I only use it when I am making the DH homemade tapioca;)

S10Catman
January 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM

If you are a coffee drinker, try some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. You are allowed 5 lbs per person coming back to the US. It may be expensive but it is one of the best coffee you can buy. It doesn't seem to get bitter no matter how strong you make it. What other islands are you going to?

PaulMedik
January 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Another vote for Mexico!

Jamaica sells some great coffee!

Grand Cayman sells....:confused: I don't recall anything being sold in GC.

hartskys
January 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
If you are a coffee drinker, try some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. You are allowed 5 lbs per person coming back to the US. It may be expensive but it is one of the best coffee you can buy. It doesn't seem to get bitter no matter how strong you make it. What other islands are you going to?

Great - I think my mother in law will love the coffee. We are going to Key West, GC, and Jamaica

jessemon
January 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
If you want to buy it Mexico is the place.....
Now if you want to have fun....Make your own...Here are many easy recipes that enhance the flavours......
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu9s5mmNL8nMATstXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOWRjMmx tBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4MjNfMTAz/SIG=11viuk5hd/EXP=1264905145/**http%3a//tipnut.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

LambKnuckles
January 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Reading the title of this thread... I was puzzled!!!

I say Coz too!!! That's where I get mine!!! Both clear and dark vanilla!!! Great taste and price!!!

jfulcher
January 29th, 2010, 10:22 PM

I buy this exact coffee at costco in 2 or 3lb bags! It's great coffee.

Sargent_Schultz
January 29th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Another vote for Mexico!

Rum cakes, black coral, turtle burgers, Rolex watches, ...

catamaran
January 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Somewhere in previous posts I read that the cheap vanilla you get in Mexico is not
pure. Try googling Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain
Search Consumer Updates at FDA sites.

Section Contents Menu
Consumer Updates

--
Some "Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Coumarin Banned in Food
Standards for Vanilla
Real Vanilla Extract and Flavoring Do Not Contain Coumarin
Tips for Consumers
Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all, but instead is made from a completely different plant material that contains coumarin. Coumarin is a substance with potential toxic side effects banned from food in the United States.

This flavoring product may smell like vanilla extract, taste like vanilla extract, and be offered at a cheap price, but it could present a significant risk to some people’s health.

Pure vanilla flavoring and extract are made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant, a type of orchid that grows as a vine. The product containing coumarin is made from the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin, a compound related to warfarin, which is in some blood-thinning medications. Eating food containing coumarin may be especially risky for people taking blood-thinning drugs because the interaction of coumarin and blood thinners can increase the likelihood of bleeding.

Coumarin Banned in Food
Coumarin is banned from food products sold in the United States. Yet the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) occasionally has found tonka bean extract products containing coumarin in some ethnic food stores and Mexican restaurants in the United States.

These products often are labeled in Spanish “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla.” If these products contain tonka beans rather than vanilla beans, they have been imported illegally into the United States, and FDA advises consumers not to purchase or use these products.
is what I found from FDA,

minncruisers
January 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I believe they sell vanilla in Grand Cayman because my friend bought some there and I was thinking to myself "Hmm...I wonder why she bought it there when Mexico sells it for super cheap?" I'd try GC if I were you, only because you'll be there and not in Coz. Just remember to book another cruise and be sure Cozumel is in the itinerary. ;)

sistermerm
January 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Another vote for Mexico!

TORTUGA RUM CAKES!!! What are you gonna have with that Blue Mountain coffee and Kahlua:D ?

sailincajunns
January 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Well, whatever you do, REMEMBER that the vanilla will be a liquid in a container of over 3 ounces. A couple years back when returning from a cruise that included stops in Belize and Roatan, I did not realize my DW packed our 16 oz bottle of 'real' vanilla in the carry-on bag with our souveniers. The TSA was not pleased when I went through airport security in Tampa, FL with the bottle of 'contraban' (yes, that's how they referred to my vanilla, 'contrban'). Geeze. Hate to think the damage this old Cajun could have caused on that flight with his 16 oz of Vanilla. Chalk one up to national security.

jessemon
January 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Turtle soup and turtle steak sandwiches......Yummmmooooo......:D:D

popcorngal
January 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Somewhere in previous posts I read that the cheap vanilla you get in Mexico is not
pure. Try googling Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain
Search Consumer Updates at FDA sites.

Section Contents Menu
Consumer Updates

--
Some "Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Coumarin Banned in Food
Standards for Vanilla
Real Vanilla Extract and Flavoring Do Not Contain Coumarin
Tips for Consumers
Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all, but instead is made from a completely different plant material that contains coumarin. Coumarin is a substance with potential toxic side effects banned from food in the United States.

This flavoring product may smell like vanilla extract, taste like vanilla extract, and be offered at a cheap price, but it could present a significant risk to some people’s health.

Pure vanilla flavoring and extract are made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant, a type of orchid that grows as a vine. The product containing coumarin is made from the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin, a compound related to warfarin, which is in some blood-thinning medications. Eating food containing coumarin may be especially risky for people taking blood-thinning drugs because the interaction of coumarin and blood thinners can increase the likelihood of bleeding.

Coumarin Banned in Food
Coumarin is banned from food products sold in the United States. Yet the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) occasionally has found tonka bean extract products containing coumarin in some ethnic food stores and Mexican restaurants in the United States.

These products often are labeled in Spanish “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla.” If these products contain tonka beans rather than vanilla beans, they have been imported illegally into the United States, and FDA advises consumers not to purchase or use these products.
is what I found from FDA,

We just bought vanilla at Los Cincos Soles in Cozumel and it states very clearly on the label that it contains no Coumadin. While it is possible that the cheap vanilla will contain it, it is up to the consumer to read the label. The vanilla from Los Cincos Soles is hands down the best I've ever used.

Crusin Hogs
January 30th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Take a look at this website in Tortola it's a spice shop on the island
When you go there they have all the spices out where you can taste
them , They also have a very good online store and will ship
direct to you, No need for the 3 oz limits for the airlines and no
need to carry back from the cruise
http://www.sunnycaribbee.com/

wwaggone
January 30th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Darn! :rolleyes:

I was hoping it was an island we were going to. Oh well, next cruise.

Thanks

Cozumel is an island.:D

zqvol
January 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I seee that you are on Freedom in May. Neither GC or Jamaica is known for vanilla. The best place would be Cozumel, but since you are not going there that would not be possible.

I think your best bet is to try Jamaica, most things in GC tend to be overpriced.

RWolver672
January 30th, 2010, 08:14 AM
There was a thread a few years back about vanilla. They said that if you buy vanilla in Mexico, make sure it has a picture of a rooster on the label. That's the safe stuff withhout coumadin.

mmemichele
January 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Cozumel is where I always buy mine about 8$ for a big bottle I use it in my coffee every morning .YOu got to LOVE cappucinos with a splash of vanilla
In Grand Cayman
Coconut Rum Cakes .....YUMMY

S10Catman
January 31st, 2010, 07:12 PM
:)I buy this exact coffee at costco in 2 or 3lb bags! It's great coffee.

They sell a blended Jamaican coffee of Fresh Foods grocery store here but it is not the same a Blue Mountain. We don't have a COSTCOs here in our neck of the woods so I'll have to check next time I get the chance.

GlendaleCruiser
January 31st, 2010, 07:29 PM
I bought vanilla in a shop in Montego Bay, Jamaica and the shopkeeper assured me it was pure vanilla, not imitation, blah, blah, blah. I gave it a glance and believed him. Took a good look at the fine print when I got back on the ship and it was imitation vanilla. I can buy that anywhere for cheap. Got took--my bad for not stopping to read the label THOROUGHLY. Noticed that it said, "pure vanilla extract". fine print said "made from imitation vanilla extract". WTH:eek:

Threw it away and bought some in Cozumel. Stopped to read the label that time. Lesson learned: buy it in MEXICO.

Grits53
January 31st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Another vote for Mexico!

Rum cakes in Grand Cayman. ;)

salty dingo
January 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'd suggest Jamaica for the best vanilla. Ask any local for the Ganja brand. They will know what you want! ;)

arthierry
January 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Another vote for Mexico!

Cayman is good for fresh rum cakes. We went to the factory and got it fresh.

arthierry
January 31st, 2010, 09:51 PM
The brand of vanilla we purchased was XEL-HA. I bought clear and regular and both are coumarin free. The website on the bottle is www.molinoreal.com and the label is yellow and silver. GOOD STUFF

GlendaleCruiser
February 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM
The brand of vanilla we purchased was XEL-HA. I bought clear and regular and both are coumarin free. The website on the bottle is www.molinoreal.com (http://www.molinoreal.com) and the label is yellow and silver. GOOD STUFF

I've bought Molina brand in a tall round brown bottle for years, but the Cinco Soles is as good or better, I think.

tweety33
February 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM
I bought vanilla in the Dominican republic, awww it was nasty and stunk, I had to dump it out.
I'll be in Cozumel in April and take all your advice and stock up then.

gammy3gks
February 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
We just bought vanilla at Los Cincos Soles in Cozumel and it states very clearly on the label that it contains no Coumadin. While it is possible that the cheap vanilla will contain it, it is up to the consumer to read the label. The vanilla from Los Cincos Soles is hands down the best I've ever used.

This is what we buy (and so many others!) everytime we are in Cozumel! LOVE this vanilla and have checked that it is 100% pure vanilla. No coumadin either. I add it to just about anything that I bake (sweet, that is) and the flavor and smell... yummy!

agavin
February 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
If whatever ship you are going on does stop in Cozumel sometimes, they might have it on the gift shop on the ship.

twinmommy08
February 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
We bought some in both areas on recent vacations. Cozumel (or anywhere in Mexico) is the best by far. We did get 6 whole nutmegs in Jamaica for $1.00. We bought them 3 years ago and still using them. So much better than the stuff in the jar pre-ground.

danacline
February 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have seen vanilla offered in Grand Cayman, at fairly reasonable prices but I didn't read the fine print on the label.

Best thing to get in Grand Cayman is 7 Fathoms rum. $40/bottle but worth it. See my web site for my Freedom of the Seas review for more info.