PDA

View Full Version : Crasiest or Dumbest things you have heard people complain about

spyder1
February 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I was just thinking of some of the weirdest, dumbest, or most funny complaints I have heard while on a cruise ship. It was on Princess in the Caribbean there was this one lady. We were standing in line at the pursers desk and the lady in front of us finally had her turn. She walks up carrying two full pieces of paper that were loaded with complaints. One was they requested a table by the window and didn't get, amongst others I can't remember. The one that stuck with us was that she was complaining that she was having to wait 2 minutes for her toast in the morning at the buffet. The kitchen had placed a staff member at the toaster to help people, and most likely because someone burned them selves using it so someone else toasts your bread. She kept going on and on...to the point we couldn't hold it in and busted out laughing at her. Really complain about toast????? We were barely half way through our cruise and this lady had already accumulated enough complaints to fill up 2 pieces of paper. I guess paradise doesn't make everyone happy.:D

Bamagal in FL
February 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
We were on an Alaskan cruise and were on about day 3 or so when we heard a gentleman loudly exclaim (in the buffet area), "I want off this ship, I've had enough of this "ALASKA" stuff....isn't Alaska the reason you TAKE an Alaska cruise/trip???? We just shook our heads, there was really nothing else we could do.....

Tammylyne
February 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
We were on a Caribean cruise and some old lady blurts out "OY this heat..I cant take it, Its got to be 100 degrees how are we soppose to enjoy ourselves with this weather?"..lmao she should of booked an Alaskan cruise!

spyder1
February 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I forgot about this one. We were in Antigua on a private tour. When we first showed up and met our driver he was very nice and kind. We had group of people for MI, couple from CA, and a couple from TX. When the group from MI showed up all they did is complain. They said they asked for a private tour and didn't want to be with other people, and also said the owner promised them he would be the driver and not his brother. His brother, who was very funny and polite, explained that the owners son was sick and he to take care of him and sent his appologies and then explained this is a private tour. My wife tried to explain to them that in the Carib, this is what they define as a private tour (private=small). My wife lived in the Carib for a few years...this still did not make them happy. A few of the ladies lets say were quite large and had a hard time sitting in the seats...which sorry I kind of chuckled when one got stuck. Anyways the guide took us all over the island to see the sites.....and these hens could not shut up and kept complaining. I apologised to the driver for all Americans and told him I appreciated him taking care of us. He just replied can't make everyone happy all of the time. I laughed and replied back yes I guess your right as he poured me more rum punch.....I drank a lot just so I could stand the others. The coupld from TX and CA were cool and so the six of us just sat back and made fun of the others. Time comes around and the driver passes a menu around so he could call our orders in to our final destination...lunch on the beach!!!! All of the people order hamburgers and complain about how expensive it is. Ummmm folks...sorry look around do you see any cattle ranches around? NO! If you see a cow it is likely for its milk or for a families beef supply. They have to import the beef! Eat local food if you want to save money. Then one asks is this place air conditioned? Um your on the beach and there is a good breeze...why do you need AC? So we get there and I get my goat curry which I love. One lady could barely let me enjoy it she just commented on how gross that was and how could I eat that and I can't believe you are eating it. Folks the world is not America....don't try to make it that way.

boozencruisen
February 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I was in the Gulf of Mexico (forget which cruise line) and on the second day this lady wanted to write something. Picks up a pen off of a table and tries to write on a napkin. It didn't work and she goes, "Of course the GD pen doesn't work, nothing on this F boat works!" This was at about noon of the second day, made me kind of curious what could have gone so wrong in less than 24 hours, but I was too scared to ask her...

teeny25
February 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
A couple weeks ago I was at the International Cafe on the Emerald Princess getting my coffee. A lady comes down to get her coffee to go for her and her husband. The barista asked "Do you want the small or large?" Convo went something like this
Lady: What do you mean small or large? There is only one size
Barista: We have small or large cups for coffee, Which one would you like?
Lady: No I've been cruising for 10 years on Princess and there has only been one size!
Barista: We have a 8oz and a 16oz(showing the lady the size)
Lady: Well this is new, I guess that one(points to it)
Lady looks to me and says "They have never had two sizes before!!" in a rude/complaining tone
Me: Well at least they don't have tall, grande, and venti (starbucks sizes)
Which is when I get a mean/confused stare from lady and she walks away in a huff with her two coffees.
I guess some people really can't take change!:D

Ben222
February 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
There was one guy (he had to be from Texas, judging by his accent) who one morning decided to crap to the waiter that the bacon wasn't crispy enough for him. He complained and complained and complained, making everyone around him impatient and angry, as they were waiting for their food. The cook made the effort to go back and refry him some crisper bacon, and then once he got that he still wouldn't shut up! Some people...

Then a similar situation happened later when the fries weren't crispy enough. I'm not sure if it was the same guy, but the situation played out the exact same. :p

sammamishcruiser
February 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
DH and I were waiting in line at YVR for the buses to the ship. This "lady" in line behind us NEVER stopped complaining!! About everything! she was from texas and nothing was as good as texas, the airport was crowded, too many asian people (Yes, really!), bus fumes, etc. Then when we finally got on the bus,guess what? she sat right behind us for the very looong bus ride to the pier. And again, she never shut up! The traffic in Vancouver was terrible, streets are all broken up, too much construction, they will NEVER be ready for the Olympics (our cruise was in Sept, 2008), on and on it went. When we finally got off the bus my dh says "if she is at our table we are moving!" thank goodness Miss Texas was not!!! And I didn't even know she was with a husband until we got off the bus and she started barking orders to him, he never said a word!! could NOT get one in LOL! :confused:

How bad can it be, you are going on a cruise!!!:eek:

Melody:D

spyder1
February 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM
These are great I love them!!!! Keep them coming folks!!!

The bacon one I love....I like crispy bacon too, but hey with a buffet I do not count on it and just take it for what it is worth...and do not complain

And the last one about being on a cruise how can you not be happy...I agree....my wife and I feel the same....your on vacation relax.......

keep them coming everyone!!!!:D

tiggerlover
February 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
We were in St. Thomas on the Glory when we were informed that we would have to miss St. Maarten because a hurricane was hitting there. :eek: We could not believe how many people complained and moaned and groaned about having to miss this port even under these circumstances, especially after our alternate port....Grand Turk had sunny skies high 80 temps, only cruiseship in port, Margaritaville, what more could you ask for!?! :D Some people!?! :rolleyes:

planktin
February 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
My husband and I were on a 16 day NCL repositioning cruise in 2006. What could be better? We had beautiful weather except for one sea day near the end of the cruise. It rained for about 4 or 5 hours.

In the buffet there was a group of very vocal Californians, so loud that they were talking over us two tables away. We know where they were from because that's how they introduced themselves to their tablemates. "Hi! We're from California... Can you believe this ship? Ugh!":confused: They complained about the food ("Terrible! Just terrible! It has no flavor!" If it has no flavor, how can it be so bad? lol), the rain ("You'd think the captain would've known about this! He drove us into the rain!"), the national holiday that had a lot of things closed in Barbados ("You'd think they'd open [shops] up for the cruise ships!" Because the tourists are most important than your national holidays...:().

It seemed nothing was good enough for them. They said they'd be glad to get home. I couldn't wait for them to get home, either.

To all the petty complainers out there: If your home is perfect, stay there! I'd hate to see you disappointed.:D

MrSchwump
February 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Get a load of this guy. He got sick and it's the cruise line's fault!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140263

arush5268d
February 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Get a load of this guy. He got sick and it's the cruise line's fault!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140263

Sad thread. I guess some people thing that cruise ships are inherently infected with diseases, just waiting to strike at an unsuspecting passenger.

fungo
February 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
There was one guy (he had to be from Texas, judging by his accent) who one morning decided to crap to the waiter that the bacon wasn't crispy enough for him. He complained and complained and complained, making everyone around him impatient and angry, as they were waiting for their food. The cook made the effort to go back and refry him some crisper bacon, and then once he got that he still wouldn't shut up! Some people...

Then a similar situation happened later when the fries weren't crispy enough. I'm not sure if it was the same guy, but the situation played out the exact same. :p

There's no such thing as bad bacon. :D

cmhammer
February 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I was glad to see this thread because on the previous two cruises I was surprised by # of complaints and the rudeness I witnessed.

But after reading these over and over, I started to realize it is sad...because you just know that each one of these people must have something really, really terrible going on in their lives.

Thats the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

scottbee
February 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM
First day on a cruise out of New Orleans, 4 of the 6 of us are sitting at the dinner table, and the last two arrive. An English lady from Carlisle complains about the two remaining seats at the table "Oh I don't want to sit there and look out the window, because I don't like being on boats" (If you've seen the movie Chicken Run, it didn't help that she sounded like Mrs Tweedy)

OMG, she just flew how far to be on a boat and the first words out of her mouth were "I don't like being on boats!!!". Her poor husband seemed nice enough, but completely hen-pecked.

Of course throughout the cruise there were complaints about the food every night, including sending back some Prime Rib because there was just a hint of pink in the middle "It's not cooked!", and one that sticks in my mind "I don't like garlic in my mashed potato". She would come to dinner and order a burger <sigh>.

This meant war, and I went out of my way to order things I knew would offend her, such as rare steaks, and Escargot. "Wow aren't these snails EXCELLENT!"

Prphan2
February 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This meant war, and I went out of my way to order things I knew would offend her, such as rare steaks, and Escargot. "Wow aren't these snails EXCELLENT!"

You sound like my kind of tablemate!:D:D:D

wobblybob74
February 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Mine too! That's exactly what I'd have done if she was on my table. Silly woman! I hate people like her - always moaning and picking fault. I don't know why she bothered to leave home if she knew it was all going to be such a disappointment.

UKBayern
February 25th, 2010, 06:50 AM
We were in Dubrovnik on our last cruise where they have public toilets at the entrance to the old town. Now remember the Kuna is the official currency and Euros are often accepted too. This group of American ladies turn up and start bitching at the restroom attendant that he does not accept large US$ bills (I think it was 50$). Finally the man gives in and agrees to take 1$ bills, but tells them honestly that it is a lot of trouble and his bank charges a lot of costs to change it and therefore he cannot give them change back. Of course they start whining that he is ripping them off. While standing in line, the ladies complain in a loud voice what a backward country this is (try paying in Kuna in the US?) and that they live in the Middle Ages here and what a load of crap this town is. And the shops are closed on a Sunday too (as if that is the attendants fault?). Then they complain that there is no toilet paper. Just a word of advice: in southern Europe there is no toilet paper in the booth, but there is a roll outside where you come in where you have to take what you need inside. Sometimes the attendant gives you the paper after you pay.

cruisinbuddy
February 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
We were on our second cruise and on a sea day we had a q&a with the Captain in one of the lounges. He was asked the same question. This was his answer; A couple "requested an audience" with the Captain to complain that it, get this, "rained" in the rain forest, omg :eek: I don't remember what he said to them. Rain in the rain forest???

orchid4me2003
March 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
A few come to mind. Once we had just boarded the ship and a lady was already complaining at guest services that her cabin balcony was 'too small' and she wanted a bigger cabin. Poor employee had to break it to her that the ship was booked up solid.

Another time we were having lunch in the main dining room and sat with some folks from the states (can't remember which one). Things were going pretty good until the fellow raised such a stink because he had broccoli on plate! My God! There was broccoli on his plate touching his food and he 'hated' broccoli. He had the waiter take the plate away and bring him a new one without the horrid broccoli. He could have just moved the thing over, but then that wouldn't make for such a huge production.

scottbee
March 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Another time we were having lunch in the main dining room and sat with some folks from the states (can't remember which one). Things were going pretty good until the fellow raised such a stink because he had broccoli on plate! My God! There was broccoli on his plate touching his food and he 'hated' broccoli. He had the waiter take the plate away and bring him a new one without the horrid broccoli. He could have just moved the thing over, but then that wouldn't make for such a huge production.
Was his name George?

Working 2 Cruise
March 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I forgot about this one. We were in Antigua on a private tour. When we first showed up and met our driver he was very nice and kind. We had group of people for MI, couple from CA, and a couple from TX. When the group from MI showed up all they did is complain. They said they asked for a private tour and didn't want to be with other people, and also said the owner promised them he would be the driver and not his brother. His brother, who was very funny and polite, explained that the owners son was sick and he to take care of him and sent his appologies and then explained this is a private tour. My wife tried to explain to them that in the Carib, this is what they define as a private tour (private=small). My wife lived in the Carib for a few years...this still did not make them happy. A few of the ladies lets say were quite large and had a hard time sitting in the seats...which sorry I kind of chuckled when one got stuck. Anyways the guide took us all over the island to see the sites.....and these hens could not shut up and kept complaining. I apologised to the driver for all Americans and told him I appreciated him taking care of us. He just replied can't make everyone happy all of the time. I laughed and replied back yes I guess your right as he poured me more rum punch.....I drank a lot just so I could stand the others. The coupld from TX and CA were cool and so the six of us just sat back and made fun of the others. Time comes around and the driver passes a menu around so he could call our orders in to our final destination...lunch on the beach!!!! All of the people order hamburgers and complain about how expensive it is. Ummmm folks...sorry look around do you see any cattle ranches around? NO! If you see a cow it is likely for its milk or for a families beef supply. They have to import the beef! Eat local food if you want to save money. Then one asks is this place air conditioned? Um your on the beach and there is a good breeze...why do you need AC? So we get there and I get my goat curry which I love. One lady could barely let me enjoy it she just commented on how gross that was and how could I eat that and I can't believe you are eating it. Folks the world is not America....don't try to make it that way.

This is why most people dislike Americans... Some people's behavior and sense of entitlement... It is too bad that most of us have to pay for a small percentage of badly behaved Americans... (I'm sure that there are badly behaved people in all countries, but most of them, unfortunately are ours). It is a shame really.

Working 2 Cruise
March 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Me too! I would love to do something like that... :):D On my previous two cruises, I can't say I have had anything like that happen, but maybe on the next one, and I will make sure to report it here!

Happy cruising!

yakdaddy42
March 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I was once accused by a German family of shoving my rolling luggage into their feet as I was pulling it down the gang way. I cant help if they were too stupid to not pay attention to when the line stopped and kicked my luggage. On the Splendor we had some of the most rude English, French, German, and plenty of Americans too that I have ever seen on a cruise ship.

orchid4me2003
March 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
lol, I honestly can't remember his name. Why do you know this fellow?

Muriel

Was his name George?

Kempa
March 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Embarkation day we got to our cabins and were enthusiastically greeted by our ultra-efficient and cheerful stewardess (not kidding). As we are talking to her, some guy comes and tells her that there is something wrong with his cabin. She asks him for his cabin number, and politely tells him that she is not his stewardess, but she will be glad to notify his steward whatever the problem is.

The guy says that there must be something wrong because his cabin is too small. They are three people, and there are two beds. She explains that one bed will be lowered from the ceiling or brought to the room, but the guy is livid. He demands a larger room, because “in case of an emergency, it would be dangerous to have three people in such a small room”.

He books the cheapest cabin onboard with three people, and then complains that it is too small? It’s the same cabin that I booked for my kids, and they fit perfectly fine (big kids). I have had them three to a cabin in smaller cabins too.

After this she just tells him to look for his steward or complain at the purser’s or something. When the guy leaves saying that he will indeed complain, she just looks at us and says: “There is always one of these. Probably paid a discounted price, too.”

She was a great stewardess. :D

TandTinHou
March 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hubby and I just got back from our 2/21 cruise from the Celebrity Solstice and one night we were sitting next to a couple in the Main Dining Room, we heard the gentleman complain about the butter being on the same plate as the sauces. Each night before dinner, the waiter would give some bread and a plate with unwrapped butter and several different types of sauces or spreads for your bread. Apparantly, he DID NOT want his butter touching those darn sauces...LOL...

What I found kinda funny is the next night we were dining, we noticed that the butter was individually wrapped this time....coincidence?? LOL.......

Denese96
March 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I find it amusing that folks complain about the elevator stopping on every floor. And then to add injury to insult they comment that the person could have walked one flight...I think that if you do not want to stop on every floor then YOU should take the stairs and let the rest of us leisurely use the elevators.

mousey
March 10th, 2010, 03:55 AM
We were on a European cruise and this lady at the bar complained because "these damn foreigners can't speak English!" She was American and was too stupid to realize that SHE was actually the foreigner!:eek: I was embarassed for her. No wonder some people think we Americans are "ugly".:eek:

ElizSta
March 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I loved this one!

I was on a cruise to the Bahamas in April of 2008. I was in a hot tub and the few people in there started up a conversation. One woman dominated the whole thing, just trashing the entire cruise (on the fleet's NEWEST ship at the time- Gem.)

Among her complaints:

1. The weather was "disgusting." Mid 70s to low 80s with low humidity in early April in the Bahamas. (Pretty much my idea of perfection.)

2. She had to wait 15 WHOLE minutes for room service.

3. She got all dressed for dinner, went expecting a meal, and was SHOCKED to discover that they stoppped letting people into the dining room at 10:45pm. This was at 11:30pm.

4. Her steward didn't know her name and memorize it before she boarded.

She was a true joy. I had to stifle laughter at her and I'm pretty sure everyone else was, too. Gave me a whole new perspective on the fact that taste is totally subjective :)

downsized
March 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
On our first cruise, we were blessed with a call from the "upsell fairy" and moved into the OS.
It did not take us long to love the suite life, Cagney's being our favorite perk.
We had breakfast and lunch there every morning, and loved the attention to detail and the great service. Each time, we were seated at the same window table.
We loved Cagney's so much that we ate dinner there 5 nights...always receiving the same table.
On the 5th night, Cagney's was crowded (Unusual). When we arrived (having reservations), there was a young couple there waiting to be seated. There were two tables open, one way in the back by the kitchen, and "our" table. We were immediately met by the concierge, who proceeded to escort us to "our" table. I quietly asked him to go ahead and give the table to the other couple and that we would be happy with the table by the kitchen.
With a smile the concierge nodded and escorted the other couple to the window table. As they passed us, the young "lady" looked at me and said, "Well, it's about time you rich bastards eat by the kitchen!"

My DW and I still laugh over that when we are seated near the kitchen.

mr green
March 10th, 2010, 08:53 PM
On our first cruise, we were blessed with a call from the "upsell fairy" and moved into the OS.
It did not take us long to love the suite life, Cagney's being our favorite perk.
We had breakfast and lunch there every morning, and loved the attention to detail and the great service. Each time, we were seated at the same window table.
We loved Cagney's so much that we ate dinner there 5 nights...always receiving the same table.
On the 5th night, Cagney's was crowded (Unusual). When we arrived (having reservations), there was a young couple there waiting to be seated. There were two tables open, one way in the back by the kitchen, and "our" table. We were immediately met by the concierge, who proceeded to escort us to "our" table. I quietly asked him to go ahead and give the table to the other couple and that we would be happy with the table by the kitchen.
With a smile the concierge nodded and escorted the other couple to the window table. As they passed us, the young "lady" looked at me and said, "Well, it's about time you rich bastards eat by the kitchen!"

Your story reminds me of 'What used to be'.
Years ago in the UK it was normal for a 'gentleman', on a bus to give up his seat to a 'lady', should she be standing.
A friend of mine in Vancouver, in the lat '50's did just that for a lady, but, getting no acknowledgment of any kind, he asked her politely to stand for a moment, since had left something on the seat. She complied, so, my friend resumed his seat.
Such a pity that you could not have done the same thing.:)

john

HappyCruiser
March 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Fun post - and thankfully I didn't recognize anyone in the complaints!! :D
One of our first cruises we shared a table with a family and every single meal the father would critique the food -'it's okay, it's not great, it's okay'. Those words never changed.
Why do some people not allow themselves a great vacation? They hate everything from embarkation to paying their tab. I guess they LIKE to be unhappy...do ya think?

PTsPT2004
March 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
oh yes there is, just go to a hotel buffet in Italy!

Monkeythyme
March 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Fun post - and thankfully I didn't recognize anyone in the complaints!! :D
One of our first cruises we shared a table with a family and every single meal the father would critique the food -'it's okay, it's not great, it's okay'. Those words never changed.
Why do some people not allow themselves a great vacation? They hate everything from embarkation to paying their tab. I guess they LIKE to be unhappy...do ya think?
IMHO, some people act blase' [sp?] and jaded because they think it makes them appear "worldly".:p

kf657
March 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I just wonder how miserable their lives are when not onboard the ship...

I wonder why they would want to pay to have such a terrible time..maybe even if they are having a miserable time, the life they have at home is worse?

I guess some people just live to complain..
I figure no matter what goes wrong I would rather be on a Cruise ship!

orchid4me2003
March 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Well said. Anytime on a cruise ship is definitely better than everyday routines back home.

I wonder why they would want to pay to have such a terrible time..maybe even if they are having a miserable time, the life they have at home is worse?

tgptmp
March 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I always say that a bad day on a cruise ship is.............................................oh wait, I have never had a bad day on a cruise ship.

waiting4acruise
March 17th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I always say that a bad day on a cruise ship is.............................................oh wait, I have never had a bad day on a cruise ship.
I have a bad every cruise.
It is the day they make me vacate my cabin and leave the ship.:(

tgptmp
March 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have a bad every cruise.
It is the day they make me vacate my cabin and leave the ship.:(

I stand corrected.

owt205
March 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
On our first Alaska cruise, we were on deck admiring the scenery, when we overheard someone loudly state "God, this is nothing trees and water!"
As we were smiling to ourselves, the same person loudly asked us "Are we in Alaska yet, or still in America?"
Keep in mind, this was the first sea day, and the person was from the US.
We still chuckle about that one

mr green
March 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
On our first Alaska cruise, we were on deck admiring the scenery, when we overheard someone loudly state "God, this is nothing trees and water!"
As we were smiling to ourselves, the same person loudly asked us "Are we in Alaska yet, or still in America?"

What a terrible thing to say about Canada!;)

john

tgptmp
March 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM

And some of those people still vote----now you know how Obama got elected.

apollobeach
March 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Not all of us who vote are ignorant....enough said on that one.

apollobeach
March 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Both of you sound like individuals who have a lot of class. You were certainly coming from the right
place and most people would have been very appreciative. My partner and I would have probably
done the very same thing had we been in your situation. We are not wealthy but have also done
kind deeds and have been viewed as being wealthy our acts viewed with contempt. Yes, we have
also had rather nasty personal insults leveled towards us.

My Partner and I believe in passing it forward (doing random acts of kindness to strangers/young people).
One sincere "Thank you" and/or words of appreciation far outweigh the negative responses.

Rick & John

apollobeach
March 26th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Traveling on the Holland America's Zaandam was like sailing on a floating nursing home.

On the Holland America's Zaandam in April of 2009, my Partner and I
were subjected to unwelcome comments. On day in the buffet restaurant
as one of us walked by a table of several women who were looking directly
at one of us, one woman said: "those boys make me sick".

texaridian
March 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
IMHO, some people act blase' [sp?] and jaded because they think it makes them appear "worldly".:p

I think Monkeythyme hit the nail on the head. I had the same feeling, but never had the words to describe it. It reminds me of "Hitch" where the couple goes to a gallery on a first date. A couple of men keep calling everything "disgusting." They are perfect examples of what we're talking about.

librarysmile
March 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
This one might not be funny if you are wise in the ways of liquor but it was funny to me. I was sitting near two gentlemen before one of the evening shows and one of them was complaining to his friend that his martini wasn't "dirty" enough. I couldn't imagine what he might mean. Do they actually put dirt in martinis? I tried to get a good look at his drink without being too obvious but I just couldn't see it. Once I got home, I figured out that when one wants a "dirtier" martini, it just means one wants more olives. Now that I know it just cracks me up that I spent the rest of the cruise looking for the dirt in other people's martinis.

orchid4me2003
March 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear about those unwelcomed comments. If people can not say anything nice, they should keep their mouth shut tight. No one has the right to so put themselves above others.

Traveling on the Holland America's Zaandam was like sailing on a floating nursing home.

janabm81
April 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Had a lady complain to me and everyone around us that the ship was moving too much and that in the 15 plus cruises she'd been on she had never felt a ship move this much...We happened to be docked & I & others commented that we couldn't feel the ship moving at all...That's when the bartender leaned over to me to let me know she was on her 6th drink of the day so far.:eek:

Berk987
April 9th, 2010, 12:58 AM
There's no such thing as bad bacon. :D

you are so right?:) you got bacon? life is good. Westerdam, Nov 09 I was at the Lido the first morning enjoying a quiet breakfast before DH and kids woke up. My morning ritual. One woman started pointing at the bacon and complained, I want it more crispy. Crispy, crispy. The server went through the batch and held each one up for her inspection/approval. I was next in line and then I had to giggle out loud when she left. he giggled too. next morning I went back for bkft and I was ordering something else and he said, you want that crispy? I was confused at first then I remembered he was the same server as yesterday with that complaining bacon woman. We both just LOL. so we have that same little joke going on every morning. he and I, our own little secret. sometimes I would order pancakes and say, more crispy please and we'd LOL again. Makes my morning.

odblnt
April 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
you are so right?:) you got bacon? life is good. Westerdam, Nov 09 I was at the Lido the first morning enjoying a quiet breakfast before DH and kids woke up. My morning ritual. One woman started pointing at the bacon and complained, I want it more crispy. Crispy, crispy. The server went through the batch and held each one up for her inspection/approval. I was next in line and then I had to giggle out loud when she left. he giggled too. next morning I went back for bkft and I was ordering something else and he said, you want that crispy? I was confused at first then I remembered he was the same server as yesterday with that complaining bacon woman. We both just LOL. so we have that same little joke going on every morning. he and I, our own little secret. sometimes I would order pancakes and say, more crispy please and we'd LOL again. Makes my morning.

On one of our cruises on the Norwegian Pearl, a lady stood up during a question/answer session with the captain and chef and complained about the "cremated" (pronounced cre-mah-ted) bacon. The chef replied that since that was the way most people preferred their bacon, they tried to keep it on the crisp side.

grrl2grrl
April 12th, 2010, 02:30 AM
On my first cruise, waiting to go to port we had to wait 20 minutes as another ship was docking on the same pier. No big deal - we were on a cruise, might as well have already been on "island time". We get to debark, and there is a happy photographer waiting at the end of the dock to take everyone's photo. The guy behind us was just rude, complaining about the time, and insulting the photographers. I turned around and said, "It's okay, calm down, we will get through soon." He then made a nasty comment back to me. My dear FIL made sure we all stopped right in front of him and took a nice photograph in the middle of the exit.
It's the photographers job, and they are everywhere - cheese it up & move on, you are not charged per smile. If you really object, just say no thanks & keep moving. It's really not that big of a deal to ruin ones day over... <my 2 cents worth, no change required...>

SuiteTraveler
April 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
On the Pisa/Tuscany shore excursion off the NCL Jade, our bus driver decided to take his own route rather than the usual one. We drove through a very tight little medieval village where all the residents came out to look at our bus, then into the rolling hills of Tuscany on zigzagging one-lane roads. It was quite picturesque, although the driver was having to make 5 or 6 point turns to get around hairpin corners. After a while, there was an odor from the brakes in the bus and one lady got up and demanded to be let off the bus. Now, let me say, we were in NO DANGER WHATSOEVER - worst case scenario, the bus might have rolled downhill into a field, but she demanded to be let off! I have no idea what she thought she was going to do - there are NO taxis in Tuscany!

So, the woman's family and our tour guide got out and started walking the 5 miles to the winery (all uphill) and the tour bus proceeded around the corner and then stopped to wait on her. And we waited and waited. Meanwhile, the tour guide called the winery where we were to have lunch and they must have told her the tour bus would not make the last hairpin turn because it was too long, so they sent the local school bus for us with a STUDENT DRIVER! LOL!

By this time an hour had elapsed and the lady and her family had caught up to the tour bus. She refused to get on the school bus and her family reluctantly stayed with her as did the guide, but everyone else, very frustrated about having to wait due to this lady, eagerly climbed aboard the school bus to go to the winery. The tour bus turned around and the lady and her family and the guide got on the tour bus to take the long route around to the winery. (Note, the tour bus had to travel over the same roads that made the brakes smell in the first place - so if she was really scared, why would she want to ride in the tour bus on that same route?)

The school bus was considerably smaller than the tour bus, so all the seats were taken and most of the men had to stand, but we all fit onboard. The driver must have fancied himself in the Monte Carlo Grand Prix because we made it to the winery, which should have been a 15 minute drive in about 2 minutes with much honking (beepa - beepa) at every turn and a lot of cars backing up to get out of our way! Talk about quick service! Everyone was so frustrated about the lady who got off the bus and had wasted at least 60 minutes of our time, we were all determined to have fun and make the most of our experience at the winery! So we went on inside and started eating the fantastic meal and drinking the wonderful wine - and lots of it - knowning the lady who had caused us the big delay was still stuck on the tour bus! LOL!

About 45 minutes later, the tour bus made it to the winery. The woman who had gotten off kept trying to justify wasting everyone's time. We all just kind of ignored her and kept drinking the wonderful wine and enjoyed the beautiful winery and gardens.

The ride back to the ship, our tour bus was a bit later than planned, but not late in terms of when the gangway was to go up. Everyone was tipsy, so the man behind the bus driver started backseat driving saying "Beepa-beepa!" at every turn and then "Scusi, scusi!" as we caused some other vehicle to back up and get over to allow us to pass. The bus driver had a great sense of humor, so he started honking whenever the man said "Beepa-beepa." LOL! A car cut us off on the entrance to the freeway and he yelled "Eh...stupido!" After that we all started singing Dean Martin songs..."That's Amore" and "Volare."

The guide said, "Eh...you a not gonna forget this tour, eh??" LOL! We gave her and the bus driver a big tip.

So although the woman complained, she did not manage to ruin the day for the rest of us.

OarToOar
September 16th, 2012, 05:38 AM
The stupidiest complaint i ever overheard was the father of a family complaing to the rest of his table whilst eating Calamari, that the Kitchens are not washing their utensiels between dealing with different food, as his onion rings taste of fish.

This was whilst dunking exquisite calamari into tomato ketchup.

Sinppu
September 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I was on a Mediterranean cruise with my Mom and on the first day we met fellow Finns, an elderly couple.
I thought it would be polite to acknowledge that we were from the same country and greeted them in Finnish. The husband gave me a scowling look and the wife answered: "Isn't this just terrible, stupid muster drill made me freeze!!!" We were in Rome and it was 85 F outside.

I didn't greet them after that. :rolleyes:

mr green
September 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I was on a Mediterranean cruise with my Mom and on the first day we met fellow Finns, an elderly couple.
I thought it would be polite to acknowledge that we were from the same country and greeted them in Finnish. The husband gave me a scowling look and the wife answered: "Isn't this just terrible, stupid muster drill made me freeze!!!" We were in Rome and it was 85 F outside.

I didn't greet them after that. :rolleyes:

The gentleman in question MAY have had a point.
Years ago in England my brother was at Cranwall, [RAF officers training collage]. One hot sommers night Mike told me, all the cadets were sweating in bed, except THE one from Pakistan, he it seems was shivering under five blankets.:D

john

Sinppu
September 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
The gentleman in question MAY have had a point.
Years ago in England my brother was at Cranwall, [RAF officers training collage]. One hot sommers night Mike told me, all the cadets were sweating in bed, except THE one from Pakistan, he it seems was shivering under five blankets.:D

john

The lady in question was from a country that experiences temperatures like that once in every 70 years :D

magandab
November 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Not on a cruise, but this happened this morning. We spent last night here at a hotel next to LAX before our flight this evening to Sydney to start our cruise. We were at breakfast and two couples sat at the next table. Nothing was right and commands and demands flew. But what had me laughing out loud was one man's comment as he drank his coffee. "The sugar here isn't as sweet as yesterday' hotel."

Holomoku
December 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
On a Princess Cruise there was a couple that was highly recognizable by there style of dress and accent, even though they said they were from So.Cal. Anyway, they made themselves known by always complaining about everything. One did not have to see them to know who was complaining in a loud voice. Near the end of the Cruise they were the last couple to be seated at our table, Anytime Dining, a table for 8. We had eaten with a few of the folks before and someone had seen this couple coming in and said I hope they are not at this table, oh well. We all look at each other as they sit down. Then everything was fine for the six of us, but for them nothing was correct. After Appetisers and Soup/Salads the Entries arrive. They taste their meals and she takes a sip of water, motions for the Waiter and then says that the water is no good. They get up to leave in a huff and it was the rest of us could do not to clap for their departure. We all complimented the staff on their paitience and enjoyed the rest of the meal in peace. Having worked with the public for 20 years I know one cannot make some customers Happy no matter what is done for them. I think they just like to feel important by making the biggest scene they can. Cruising is FUN, so sit back and enjoy!

LarryChez
December 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
It's amazing how many people I have heard complaining about the heat while on a warm weather cruise... why don't they just cruise somewhere cooler :confused:

mavvie
December 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
We were on a family cruise in 2010 and one of the sister in-laws decided to bring her 6 month old and proceeded to compain that people weren't helping babysitting enough for her to enjoy her vacation. :rolleyes: Never again. Wife and I only from now on.

Suitcasefull
December 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
We were on a family cruise in 2010 and one of the sister in-laws decided to bring her 6 month old and proceeded to compain that people weren't helping babysitting enough for her to enjoy her vacation. :rolleyes: Never again. Wife and I only from now on.

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh!

rharvey999
December 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Trust me, we would much rather cruise with you than with them. Even in this day and age...so sad.

insomniaceve
January 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM
Oh I just saw this lady on the Carnival Miracle who doesn't seem to know where she is or why she's on the cruise. She always look drunk and clueless. I was on the line waiting to book shores excursions and she kept saying "I don't know what to book, where are we? Why don't you tell me where to go?" The poor guy kept saying "Miss, I can only give you suggestions, I can't make decisions for you :confused: How about take the shore excursion booklet, have a look at it and come back tomorrow." She goes on and say "Come back down here? Here to book?......oh ok....."

I've also seen a guy on the line for omelettes complaining he wait too long for his omelette. "By the time I get mine, it's already cold." Like clearly you see it in the pan and the egg bubbling up. :eek:

Some family down the hall complained on arrival day that the beds aren't made upon their arrival. The steward kept saying, "Everything will be done around 6-7pm." The dude got pissed and said, "What I paid all this and can't even have a nap for the first few hours?"

Smokeyham
January 3rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
One I witnessed was a couple who were complaining at the Purser's desk, which was in the Atrium. They were shouting loudly, and people were peering down at them from the upper decks.

We quickly learned that the couple were in a suite (they said that repeatedly), and their complaints were (1) that a page was missing from the information binder in their cabin, and (2) that they did not have some special soap which they thought had been been promised them.

They were both yelling at the person behind the desk at the same time, so the poor staff member was not able to answer either of them.

Finally, the person behind the desk held up the reference copy of the binder and asked the man if he would mind showing him which page was missing. The man lunged across the desk saying something along the lines of wanting that copy. The poor person behind the desk jumped back, and I think the couple finally figured out that they had gone too far because they left shortly afterwards, followed by the glares of those of us who were in line behind them.

So sad that they felt they had to act that way, and that they were that angry about missing pages and soap!

mr green
January 3rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
It is so strange what cruising does to some persons. Some insist on perfection, and complain about every single thing.

john

Cherbaby66
January 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, the craziest complaint I ever heard on a cruise ship was from my own mother.

She complained about EVERYTHING! We took them on a cruise for their 25th year wedding anniversary on Carnival in one of their gorgeous suites.

Just a sidebar note? The cruise was AMAZING. There was NOTHING wrong, but she just went on and on and on:

"I can't understand what these people are saying."
(Some of the waitstaff had accents. Nothing you couldn't make out if you spent more time listening and less time whining!)

"It's too hot on this boat!"
(Um, you're in the Caribbean. And sadly, Carnival doesn't have the thermostat to adjust the SUN, Mom!)

"There's nothing to do."
(NOTHING TO DO??? This is from a retiree who only knows what time it is depending on what is on television!)

"Everything is so expensive!"
(Interesting comment...since WE paid for everything! LOL)

"There are too many kids on this boat!"
(She has that wonderful grandmotherly instinct, obviously.)

"This ship moves around too much!"
(Okay, it was a little rough, but hello? You're on a BOAT!)

"You have to walk so far to the buffet!"
(Because, g^d forbid you should do a little walking, right?)

But...my favorite was this one:
"There's nothing on television!"
(Didn't we fly you down from New York to Florida and put you on this ship to get you AWAY from the television???)

Who watches Television on a cruise?

The kicker?

A week later, she writes me a letter telling me she had the BEST TIME EVER! :eek:

Mothers. Can't live with them, can't toss them overboard. ;)

Cherbaby66
January 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM

That makes me so sick and so mad!

Incidentally, WE are from Tampa too and you boys can cruise with us ANY time! ;) We're always looking for couples to go on cruises with! The more the merrier...that is, if you can stand to be with us non-fabulous, traditionalists. *eye roll* LOL

So sad that people can't just live and let live. I am personally embarrassed to be a member of the straight community sometimes. My bestie (my gubby) is my heart and soul and if any one ever spoke to him like that?

WOMAN OVERBOARD!

tmllvr
January 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hubby and I were on our honeymoon on the Grand Princess. Everywhere we went we seemed to come across a woman who knew everything about anything.

On our tender back from Cayman she happened to be on our boat. I had purchasd a stuffed toucan for our daughter, and proclaimed to my husband that he would be named "Jimmy" (we had just spent a few hours at Margaritaville)

Well, this woman went off Ún me. `You can`t name him Jimmy, Jimmy Buffet is a Parrot head and that is Toucan` I looked at her and said `They are both birds, whats the difference` Well she informed me that one has 3 talons on their feet and he other has 4, and they eat different foods.

To which I informed her that wouldnt be a problem, as this bird wouldnt be eating anything as it is STUFFED.

Every one around us laughed and applauded.

To this day we still laugh about crazy bird lady when we look at `Jimmy:D

grovehill
January 30th, 2013, 10:00 PM
We were in Quebec and I was just wandering thru the shops and happened upon two women we had nicknamed the "wicked witches* in a small, elegant gift shop. (You know the type, looks for things to complain about ... I could never be a crew member. I'm pretty sure i'd be fired for pitching such types overboard).

The were complaining "loudly" that these damned people should learn English. One wanted to pay $10 for a lovely silk watercolored scarf. It was priced at about $40 American. After listening to one old biddy speaking very slowly and loudly to the clerk ... then cuss at her for not responding I couldn't reign in my mouth. I spoke up and said ... we are in Quebec ... they speak French here. I got "the look" and they stormed off, throwing the scarf at the clerk, slamming the door and knocking over a display.

I helped the clerk pick up the mess and tried, in my best high school French to apologize for "my fellow shipmates". In perfect English (with a beautiful French accent) the "clerk" introduced herself as the shops owner. She presented me with the scarf as a gift.

I wore it all over the ship, until finally the old biddy rudely asked how much I paid for the scarf. I smiled sweetly and explained it was a gift from a lovely lady ... who spoke perfect English ... to "polite" Americans.

Smokeyham
January 31st, 2013, 01:44 AM
We were in Quebec and I was just wandering thru the shops and happened upon two women we had nicknamed the "wicked witches* in a small, elegant gift shop. (You know the type, looks for things to complain about ... I could never be a crew member. I'm pretty sure i'd be fired for pitching such types overboard).

The were complaining "loudly" that these damned people should learn English. One wanted to pay $10 for a lovely silk watercolored scarf. It was priced at about $40 American. After listening to one old biddy speaking very slowly and loudly to the clerk ... then cuss at her for not responding I couldn't reign in my mouth. I spoke up and said ... we are in Quebec ... they speak French here. I got "the look" and they stormed off, throwing the scarf at the clerk, slamming the door and knocking over a display.

I helped the clerk pick up the mess and tried, in my best high school French to apologize for "my fellow shipmates". In perfect English (with a beautiful French accent) the "clerk" introduced herself as the shops owner. She presented me with the scarf as a gift.

I wore it all over the ship, until finally the old biddy rudely asked how much I paid for the scarf. I smiled sweetly and explained it was a gift from a lovely lady ... who spoke perfect English ... to "polite" Americans.

Classic... and well done you!

Starlight Durban Cruising
January 31st, 2013, 03:31 AM

LOL, can you imagine how many days you had been the subject of intense discussion in their cabin - before she got to the point of telling you your fortune near the kitchen :eek::D. And you probably still are :D.

My parents work in one of the cruise terminals in South Africa, and so they see the cruise line staff 2 or 3 times in a week. Clearly they all know each other well. Anyway, in 2011 I go back and take the parents on a cruise, and as we get through security one of the cruise line staff spot my parents moving with the line. She comes on over and greets my parents, and then tells us to follow her (to the check-in counter). LOL, the glares that we got as we skipped that line waiting for check-in counters ...

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY
February 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM

Loved this.
But you know, French Quebecers expect everyone to speak french to them everywhere they go too:D

mr green
February 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Loved this.
But you know, French Quebecers expect everyone to speak french to them everywhere they go too:D

I have only been in Quebec city for two days, however, everywhere I went, the 'natives' seemed more than happy to speak to me in English. In fact in all my cruises I found Quebecers to be among the friendliest of people, and the city, even at night was to me the safest that I have ever been in, even my own which has only 38,000 people in it
However, on the debit side, as a Canadian, I would never care to discuss politics in that Province.

john

Philliesgirl
February 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM
We were on a cruise to Bermuda when a tropical storm came through. There was damage to the boat and we ended up being delayed one day because of it. There were people at the pursers desk very loudly complaining and pouting that they can't be tied up an extra day. Well sorry, I guess the cruise line should have ventured out with a damaged boat and " hope " that we don't sink just so these complainers can get home as scheduled! ;)

mbalmr71
February 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Complainers are too amusing. I wonder how many of them understand just how much fun it is to ridicule them with the poor person they just harrassed.

My own Dear Mother takes the silly cruise complaints. I know some of you have heard these in the cruise director's routine but as to where they got them, that is a chicken and egg discussion.

Anyways, Cruising Alaska on Princess for my brother's wedding and mom's first cruise. Went by their balcony cabin after we got settled to find her very dissapointed that thier view was obstucted by the other ship in port. She then Carped at my dad for not choosing the other side of the ship. My dad just smiled when I told my mom that I would get the ship moved for her within the hour.

While viewing the hubbard glacier from the ship she wondered about the altitude. Dad just shook his head and told her she was pretty high.

Carped at Dad again in Skagway because their balcony faced the mountainside and she wanted to see the water.

She is mostly harmless but gets annoying at dinner when she always wants something changed. Our poor waiter was gracious when she demanded a beef wellington without the liver paste. Of course she was dissapointed when he returned and very kindly told her that they had just run out. I slipped him a 5 on the way out and my wife and I had enough that night to slip the Maitre'd a 20 to get her and Dad "upgraided" to their own private table for 2.

LOVE to cruise but this was the last with dear old MUM.

nyfarmgirl
February 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Complainers are too amusing. I wonder how many of them understand just how much fun it is to ridicule them with the poor person they just harrassed.

My own Dear Mother takes the silly cruise complaints. I know some of you have heard these in the cruise director's routine but as to where they got them, that is a chicken and egg discussion.

Anyways, Cruising Alaska on Princess for my brother's wedding and mom's first cruise. Went by their balcony cabin after we got settled to find her very dissapointed that thier view was obstucted by the other ship in port. She then Carped at my dad for not choosing the other side of the ship. My dad just smiled when I told my mom that I would get the ship moved for her within the hour.

While viewing the hubbard glacier from the ship she wondered about the altitude. Dad just shook his head and told her she was pretty high.

Carped at Dad again in Skagway because their balcony faced the mountainside and she wanted to see the water.

She is mostly harmless but gets annoying at dinner when she always wants something changed. Our poor waiter was gracious when she demanded a beef wellington without the liver paste. Of course she was dissapointed when he returned and very kindly told her that they had just run out. I slipped him a 5 on the way out and my wife and I had enough that night to slip the Maitre'd a 20 to get her and Dad "upgraided" to their own private table for 2.

LOVE to cruise but this was the last with dear old MUM.

Gotta love it when people are special enough to qualify for those wonderful "upgrades" ;)

I think one of the dumbest ones that I have heard was a lady who insisted that she didn't want to stay for the scrapbooking class, she just wanted the free pages they were giving to participants. Apparently she had a "scheduling conflict" and couldn't stay for the class. She nearly took the poor instructors head off for refusing because according to her the instructors on prior cruises had no problem just giving her the materials and allowing her to go on her merry way. I realize that people have to pick and choose because there are simultaneous events on board ships but for crying out loud this isn't a board meeting, conference call, court deposition type of thing it's vacation! Also, a little odd that she always had a conflict with THAT class no matter which ship! Me thinks she just doesn't want to play with others. :rolleyes:

mr green
February 17th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Gotta love it when people are special enough to qualify for those wonderful "upgrades" ;)

I think one of the dumbest ones that I have heard was a lady who insisted that she didn't want to stay for the scrapbooking class, she just wanted the free pages they were giving to participants. Apparently she had a "scheduling conflict" and couldn't stay for the class. She nearly took the poor instructors head off for refusing because according to her the instructors on prior cruises had no problem just giving her the materials and allowing her to go on her merry way. I realize that people have to pick and choose because there are simultaneous events on board ships but for crying out loud this isn't a board meeting, conference call, court deposition type of thing it's vacation! Also, a little odd that she always had a conflict with THAT class no matter which ship! Me thinks she just doesn't want to play with others. :rolleyes:

A little like the 'art auctions', those who go to them for the 'free champagne?'

john

myparks
February 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Fun read!!! I can always come to CC for a good laugh!!! Thanks:D

nonsuch
February 25th, 2013, 07:25 PM
A woman (60-ish) was berating one of the dining staff because she was near starvation. How on Earth can you starve on a cruise?

Cheers,

Bob

mtnesterz
March 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM
It is so strange what cruising does to some persons. Some insist on perfection, and complain about every single thing.

Depression and anxiety from too much alcohol, IMHO.

MalervyC
March 6th, 2013, 10:13 AM
RCCL out of San Juan a few years back. My parents and I are are experienced cruisers, but for some of my extended family this was their first time out of PA/NJ in about 15 years. My uncle complained that the suction produced when the toilet flushed was too strong...

clinthi
March 25th, 2013, 11:51 PM
A few years ago, my sis-in-law and I were behind an older woman complaining at the customer service desk that "A German man was dropping dollar bills from the railing onto the atrium dance floor" (no one was dancing)

Yeah. She was complaining about free money. And how did she know he was German???

Gunner22aa
March 26th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Right after being mowed over by a rather large woman on a scooter I was dressed down for "standing in the scooter lane" We were at the buffet and the carpet had about a 3 foot strip that was a different colour right next to the buffet. How dumb of me not to know it was the "scooter lane only". Guess the rest of us were supposed to reach 4 feet for our food. I departed with a well bruised leg and here demanding my cabin number because she was going to sue me for the injuries she sustained.

Luv06012012
March 26th, 2013, 11:23 AM
A few years ago, my sis-in-law and I were behind an older woman complaining at the customer service desk that "A German man was dropping dollar bills from the railing onto the atrium dance floor" (no one was dancing)

Yeah. She was complaining about free money. And how did she know he was German???

This cracks me up! Who wouldn't find that hilarious??? Lighten up people, lighten up.

I guarentee that the customer service desk could author a series of books of the funniest things they've heard customers say. They would be best sellers! Although...then you would have the phonies purposely being stupid to get notariety in the book, huh?

Cru1s1ng2009
March 26th, 2013, 01:22 PM
my co-worker just got back from his first cruise. Everyone has one of the co-workers who complain about EVERYTHING.

He said it was just 'okay', that there wasnt much to do on the ship.

Really?

Luv06012012
March 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
my co-worker just got back from his first cruise. Everyone has one of the co-workers who complain about EVERYTHING.

He said it was just 'okay', that there wasnt much to do on the ship.

Really?

What ship was he on....Titanic? :rolleyes:

kitcrazy
March 27th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I didn't read this whole thread (I'm at work) but I just had to share my story from our Alaska cruise last August.

American lady in front of us at the customer service desk wanted to exchange her money. In vain, the front desk agent tried to explain to her that that Alaska was a U.S. state and therefore US currency was legal tender. She wasn't listening to him ... complained about how they told her that it could be exchanged at the desk and why was she given incorrect information and she'd been standing in line already for 15 minutes ... the litany went on and on!

About 4-5 minutes into the conversation, the agent takes her US cash, goes to a cash drawer, pulls out the same of amount of $ in different denominations and counts it out for her. Finally satisfied, she leaves, complaining to us (we were next in line) about why he didn't just do it in the first place instead of arguing with her!

Holding back the laughter I asked him if this happens often. He rolled his eyes and said "more often than you think!" Really!!!

angry1541
March 27th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Awesome...that's what's makes it all worth it.

angry1541
March 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Where's the "Like" button?

OCruisers
March 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I didn't read this whole thread (I'm at work) but I just had to share my story from our Alaska cruise last August.

American lady in front of us at the customer service desk wanted to exchange her money. In vain, the front desk agent tried to explain to her that that Alaska was a U.S. state and therefore US currency was legal tender. She wasn't listening to him ... complained about how they told her that it could be exchanged at the desk and why was she given incorrect information and she'd been standing in line already for 15 minutes ... the litany went on and on!

About 4-5 minutes into the conversation, the agent takes her US cash, goes to a cash drawer, pulls out the same of amount of $ in different denominations and counts it out for her. Finally satisfied, she leaves, complaining to us (we were next in line) about why he didn't just do it in the first place instead of arguing with her!

Holding back the laughter I asked him if this happens often. He rolled his eyes and said "more often than you think!" Really!!!

:D Too funny above! We had the same thing happen in Hawaii. :rolleyes:

LuLu
~~~~

Sanz
March 30th, 2013, 05:54 PM
We were on a cruise in January. On the day that we were in Costa Rica a weather front passed through, and for a while it rained hard. A woman standing next to me said "but it's the dry season, it's not suppose to rain"!

Casino Player
March 31st, 2013, 03:35 AM
We were on a European cruise and this lady at the bar complained because "these damn foreigners can't speak English!" She was American and was too stupid to realize that SHE was actually the foreigner!:eek: I was embarassed for her. No wonder some people think we Americans are "ugly".:eek:

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO mousey: I used to live in Europe for a few years during the '80's. When I lived in Europe I found that most Europoens when they found out I was an American wanted to speak in English. Most places that you go to English is spoken with the exception of many areas of the United States where folks don't like to speak in English for one reason or another. The sad thing is that I found that Germans spoke English much better than most people I know from the United States.

Cru1s1ng2009
March 31st, 2013, 10:54 AM
what ship was he on....titanic? :rolleyes:
lol!!!

Sanz
April 1st, 2013, 01:31 AM
We were on a cruise in January. On the day that we were in Costa Rica a weather front passed through, and for a while it rained hard. A woman standing next to me said "but it's the dry season, it's not suppose to rain"!

---- Additional info - we were in Limon on the Atlantic coast - where it rains year round

penguinscott
April 2nd, 2013, 03:28 AM
On a cruise to Bermuda, I heard a woman near me complain to her husband that his watch ticked too loudly and kept her up the night before. It was hilarious. As we neared Bermuda, there was sight of land. She then wondered if it was the Bahamas. He said he thought it could be! I was nearly in tears!

tbmrt
April 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
We were in Cancun for a week and decided to take our friends via a local bus, just a few short miles to the flea market. Figured they'd like the ambience of a Mexican city.

We had to walk about 2 blocks to the flea market from the bus stop and the friends complained about the streets being broken down, Cancun being so run down, people looking like criminals nearby, etc.

We get to the first store in the flea market and the storeclerk follows a friend of mine, awaiting the opportunity to approach him to try to sell him something he looked a bit interested in.

My friend says, "Does this guy think I'm a thief...he's following me, etc."...I told him that wasn't the case, but he didn't believe me.

Ten minutes into the flea market, my friends went back to the bus stop.....That night they told me they shopped at the local mall....Same stuff, higher prices! So much for exporing a "foreign" city.

Same friend told me, "a beach is a beach"...no need to visit beaches other than those where we live in Florida!!

srlafleur
April 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
On our very first cruise, nearly 30 years ago - rock-bottom priced 3-day to Nassau, we were seated in the MDR near a couple, straight out of "The Godfather" central casting, who we really wouldn't have noticed but for the ruckus he kicked up. We could hear him getting loud, berating first the busboy, then the waiter, the headwaiter and finally the maitre d' at top volume.
His problem? He (apparently) had been told by his TA that he could have anything he wanted...and he wanted LOBSTER. Never mind that there was no lobster on that night's menu. There was no lobster on the whole ship!
"BUT I WAS TOLD I COULD HAVE ANYTHING I WANT AND I WANT LOBSTER!"
Not sure if he expected them to send divers out or what...

Fran110
April 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM
On on transatlantic cruise from Southampton to FLL last November, a woman from England complained that she felt like she was being held hostage on the ship because of all the sea days. There were 4. After debarking in FL, she was going to New York and taking the Queen Mary back to England. 7 days at sea! What did she think she signed up for?

Noel182002
April 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM
We were on a cruise and we would go to the comedy club at night and we sat with this couple as we met them through camp carnival as our children were about the same age...Well the husband would order a double vodka and cranberry and they would bring it each night and he didn't like it so he would have them make him another (now I benifited from his as I drank the drink he didnt like which was fine!) so he would order a double but then only drink the one made with a single shot. He insisted that somehow there vodka was stronger then regular vodka...he did this three nights before he finally just ended up ordering something else...rather strange...

Jacs
April 14th, 2013, 06:12 AM
In Athens we were in the Plaka enjoying an icecream when a couple of American women from our ship went to go buy an icecream too. They started complaining loudly when they were told that they don't accept US dollars and that they would need to pay in Euro's. Apparently they didn't have any Euro's because they "were on an American cruise so they should only have to use American money". I just rolled my eyes and continued to enjoy my delicious European ice-cream lol

texaridian
April 25th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Oh my. As I read these posts I alternate between laughing and groaning. Some people just seem so ridiculous and their actions are good for a laugh. However, there are others who are so rude and insensitive, that you hate having to admit you're from the same race (the human race)!

Carol

LostAgain
April 25th, 2013, 02:03 AM
This reminded me of a non-cruise story, but I think it is apropos. This couple that we knew through work ate at restaurants almost every night. And, by their own admission, the list of restaurants they were still welcome at was dwindling. They complained at all the area establishments, but would keep returning to the same places, and then voicing additional complaints. Finally they would be told, "If we are so awful, you obviously should find another place to eat. We would appreciate it if you don't come back here anymore." Which they found highly insulting.

LostAgain
April 25th, 2013, 02:07 AM
And another story comes to mind -- we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and were seated at dinner with a mother and two small daughters, plus the grandmother. The mother ordered for the whole table. And since she didn't know what would turn out to be "edible" and what everybody would prefer, her orders were actually "Bring me one of everything." Their food barely fit on the table. It was fascinating to watch. Also upsetting that they would make more work for the staff, and waste so much for no apparent reason.

LandlockedCruiser01
June 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I'll give a possible benefit of doubt here. Maybe one or both people involved misunderstood was "exchange" referred to, possible due to speaking English but thinking in their native language. It could mean "break", as in get smaller denominations, or it could mean "convert", as in get another country's currency. Other than that, scenes like that are just entertainment, for when you need a quick laugh and all the comedians aren't performing until later that day.

tdnosnhoj11
June 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
One night during show time, or whatever they call the singing/dancing/guest participation time in the MDR on Carnival ships, we got a conga line going. When my table (actually, come to think of it, I think the eight of us and a couple waiters were the only people that participated!) danced by this other table which had a man, his wife and their no longer sleeping baby, the man loudly exclaims, "NO NO NO NO NOOOO! I hope you're happy now! You woke up a sleeping baby!!" The thing is, this was late dining! It was already 9:00 PM or later. If he was concerned about his baby sleeping, as he should be, wouldn't it have been a good idea to sign up for the early dining option? Just a thought.

griffy116
August 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
We were seated for breakfast with two couples from Texas traveling together. They talked incessantly about their grand business interests, their grand homes, and their inability to understand why everyone didn't live in Texas because it's so much better than any of the places they've traveled.. blah, blah, blah. We graciously complimented them and tried to settle in to order. They then proceeded to mock the waiter several times when she spoke. We smiled and tried to compliment her. The next time she appeared at our table, one of the gentlemen complained to her about her accent and suggested she learn "good ole' English" if she wanted to better herself in life..English...a language he had grammatically butchered the entire morning. Let me say that I'm from the South and have a Southern accent. He continued to make jokes about the language. I was furious and we decided to leave before our food arrived. I stopped to explain to the Head Waiter that we were leaving because of the table company and their bad manners. I also let him know that if he complained about the wait staff it was because he was an idiot, and that we had a very gracious, polite and wonderful waiter that spoke better English that the idiot who was threatening to complain about one of the staff. He offered to seat us elsewhere and assured me that the waiter would not be in any trouble because of the gentleman's complaint, but would re-assign the waiter to avoid making the gentleman unhappy.

kangaand2roos
August 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
i didn't read this whole thread (i'm at work) but i just had to share my story from our alaska cruise last august.

American lady in front of us at the customer service desk wanted to exchange her money. In vain, the front desk agent tried to explain to her that that alaska was a u.s. State and therefore us currency was legal tender. She wasn't listening to him ... Complained about how they told her that it could be exchanged at the desk and why was she given incorrect information and she'd been standing in line already for 15 minutes ... The litany went on and on!

About 4-5 minutes into the conversation, the agent takes her us cash, goes to a cash drawer, pulls out the same of amount of $ in different denominations and counts it out for her. Finally satisfied, she leaves, complaining to us (we were next in line) about why he didn't just do it in the first place instead of arguing with her!

Holding back the laughter i asked him if this happens often. He rolled his eyes and said "more often than you think!" really!!!

hilarious!!

mr green
August 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
hilarious!!

Some people have strange ideas about Alaska. My wife worked at Sears in Vancouver, and a young couple from the States that she was waiting on were wondering what to do that afternoon. The young girl said, 'Let's go to Alaska!':confused:

john

Lady Chew
August 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Another Alaska story ... (we just got back - it was wonderful!) ... We had finished the land tour and were on board the Statendam. While we were on land, the temps were unexpectedly and thankfully in the upper 70s & 80s. It was great, but we had been prepared for cooler weather, which we got after we boarded the ship. Mostly in the 60s, with a few overcast days.

I was walking down the stairs and there was a small group coming out of the elevators. A lady around my age (50s) wearing shorts & short-sleeved shirt, "($*#@!!) if I'd realized it was going to be so darn cold up here I would've brought some warmer clothes!"

I guess she thought a cruise would be warm no matter where it was!

Smokeyham
August 22nd, 2013, 11:05 PM

And people wonder why the "stupid American" stereotype persists abroad!

blazerjan
August 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
A few months ago I read a review written by a guy that did nothing but complain. He usually cruised on Carnival but was on a Princess cruise for the first time. He was in a suite (of course) and never went to the buffet or MDR and only ate in the specialty restaurants or had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Among some of his complaints; his red wine was served in a white wine glass, the same salt & pepper shakers were used "all over the ship" and he was called at 11:00 am to confirm his reservation for the chef's table and they woke him up... He was asked to be at a meeting for the dinner in an hour and he was appalled that they expected him to be there at that time so he cancelled the Chef's table dinner.... The nerve!!

Smokeyham
August 25th, 2013, 03:06 AM
A few months ago I read a review written by a guy that did nothing but complain. He usually cruised on Carnival but was on a Princess cruise for the first time. He was in a suite (of course) and never went to the buffet or MDR and only ate in the specialty restaurants or had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Among some of his complaints; his red wine was served in a white wine glass, the same salt & pepper shakers were used "all over the ship" and he was called at 11:00 am to confirm his reservation for the chef's table and they woke him up... He was asked to be at a meeting for the dinner in an hour and he was appalled that they expected him to be there at that time so he cancelled the Chef's table dinner.... The nerve!!

What a hard life he must lead! Wish we could have those sorts of problems! :rolleyes:

GulfCstLdy
September 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I was on a Transatlantic on Princess that stopped in several ports in Europe. The constant and very loud of complaint of quite a few people was, "I hate this cruise. How come the Captain didn't wait until it wasn't foggy to go past Gibraltar? I was supposed to be able to see Europe and Africa at the same time. What do they expect us to do in these ports, walk? Why do people walk so much here? Why do they expect people to walk this far to get off a boat?"

I have been on quite a few cruises. This was the only one that I heard complaints from one group of people constantly.

grrl2grrl
September 25th, 2013, 06:35 PM
We were in Cancun for a week and decided to take our friends via a local bus, just a few short miles to the flea market. Figured they'd like the ambience of a Mexican city.

We had to walk about 2 blocks to the flea market from the bus stop and the friends complained about the streets being broken down, Cancun being so run down, people looking like criminals nearby, etc.

We get to the first store in the flea market and the storeclerk follows a friend of mine, awaiting the opportunity to approach him to try to sell him something he looked a bit interested in.

My friend says, "Does this guy think I'm a thief...he's following me, etc."...I told him that wasn't the case, but he didn't believe me.

Ten minutes into the flea market, my friends went back to the bus stop.....That night they told me they shopped at the local mall....Same stuff, higher prices! So much for exporing a "foreign" city.

Same friend told me, "a beach is a beach"...no need to visit beaches other than those where we live in Florida!!

Because I live in Florida, I also prefer to do other things while in port. I have access to a beautiful beach anytime I like, it's not like the crystal blue waters in St. John, but it is still water and sun. I do enjoy going to the beach and swimming, so I may do beach type things while in port, but I have no need to fight the crowds for a beach chair on sand I have to pay for, and be hounded to know if I want to buy something. I want to see the mountains, the waterfalls, well, anything different than what I'm used to...
I however would love to go with you to your flea market :)

Smokeyham
September 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I was on a Transatlantic on Princess that stopped in several ports in Europe. The constant and very loud of complaint of quite a few people was, "I hate this cruise. How come the Captain didn't wait until it wasn't foggy to go past Gibraltar? I was supposed to be able to see Europe and Africa at the same time. What do they expect us to do in these ports, walk? Why do people walk so much here? Why do they expect people to walk this far to get off a boat?"

I have been on quite a few cruises. This was the only one that I heard complaints from one group of people constantly.

Don't tell me..... They looked something like this? :o

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/9941293664_e482ac16e7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/84038392@N07/9941293664/)

gmasters
December 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM

very well said

gmasters
December 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'll give a possible benefit of doubt here. Maybe one or both people involved misunderstood was "exchange" referred to, possible due to speaking English but thinking in their native language. It could mean "break", as in get smaller denominations, or it could mean "convert", as in get another country's currency. Other than that, scenes like that are just entertainment, for when you need a quick laugh and all the comedians aren't performing until later that day.

No I lived in Alaska for 9 years (adult years)
sailed on four cruises and took part in many shopping trips while in port..

No that lady was stupid,

I mean come on FORREST

veryseasonedtraveler
December 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
And some of those people still vote----now you know how Obama got elected.

Sad, but true.

CruiseMunki
December 29th, 2013, 02:17 AM
I think we should leave topics like politics, race and religion out of this thread. (By the way, the President doesn't have that much power. He's a figurehead.)

papcx
December 29th, 2013, 06:00 AM
I think we should leave topics like politics, race and religion out of this thread. (By the way, the President doesn't have that much power. He's a figurehead.)

I agree. Fortunately these topics are rarely discussed on here. Thank God!
;-)

kevinsgirl88
December 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Lol at most of these. I have to say I'm a american and a lot of Americans make me sad by the way they act and talk. I work customer service and let me tell you sometimes I have a hard time understanding what the person is saying because of all the slang! Lol.

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

MalervyC
December 29th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Getting back to the topic - I was just reading someone's review and they mentioned how on Captain's Night, they were not dressed up. They were turned away from the dining room because of their clothes and were complaining about it.

Now I understand not everyone wants to get dressed up, but is one night that big of a deal?? I thought the complaining was pretty crazy and that the staff handled accordingly. It's awkward walking into the dining room seeing folks in basketball shorts and at the next table are folks with suits and dresses. And wouldn't they feel uncomfortable?? Clearly they are underdressed!!!

Just curious about others thoughts - no rights or wrongs here.

mr green
December 29th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Getting back to the topic - I was just reading someone's review and they mentioned how on Captain's Night, they were not dressed up. They were turned away from the dining room because of their clothes and were complaining about it.

Now I understand not everyone wants to get dressed up, but is one night that big of a deal?? I thought the complaining was pretty crazy and that the staff handled accordingly. It's awkward walking into the dining room seeing folks in basketball shorts and at the next table are folks with suits and dresses. And wouldn't they feel uncomfortable?? Clearly they are underdressed!!!

Just curious about others thoughts - no rights or wrongs here.

IMO a few cruisers try to get away with as much as possible to suit themselves, with little or no thought as to how it might affect others, in this case the Captain is being slighted, as well as those who enjoy dressing up, once in a while.
Rules exist on cruise ships for the betterment of the majority, so if persons don't agree, they might try a different venue, different ship, or different vacation.

john

john

griffy116
December 29th, 2013, 08:33 PM
For my parents 50th anniversary they wanted the whole family to take a 3-day cruise. When it came time for final payment, my TA called to tell me there was a problem with one of the cc numbers I gave him. It was my brother. I called and he explained that he was about to file bankruptcy (by the way, he makes more than anyone in the family), and had maxed out all his cards. I gave the TA my cc information and my brother said he would pay me back for him and his daughter when he got his income tax check, and by the way, they needed formal night wear. During the course of the cruise, he bought rounds of drinks for everyone (on my cc), for which everyone thanked him (including me). He closed the bar every night and during a 3 night cruise he ran up a bar tab of over $400, and this was about 8 years ago. After we returned, about 8 months went by and no money...not a cent. We were at a party and someone asked about the cruise. He said it wasn't "his cup of tea" but it was a free trip so he couldn't complain that much about it.

notentirelynormal
December 29th, 2013, 09:22 PM
For my parents 50th anniversary they wanted the whole family to take a 3-day cruise. When it came time for final payment, my TA called to tell me there was a problem with one of the cc numbers I gave him. It was my brother. I called and he explained that he was about to file bankruptcy (by the way, he makes more than anyone in the family), and had maxed out all his cards. I gave the TA my cc information and my brother said he would pay me back for him and his daughter when he got his income tax check, and by the way, they needed formal night wear. During the course of the cruise, he bought rounds of drinks for everyone (on my cc), for which everyone thanked him (including me). He closed the bar every night and during a 3 night cruise he ran up a bar tab of over $400, and this was about 8 years ago. After we returned, about 8 months went by and no money...not a cent. We were at a party and someone asked about the cruise. He said it wasn't "his cup of tea" but it was a free trip so he couldn't complain that much about it.

All I can say is "WOW!"

rharvey999
December 29th, 2013, 09:24 PM
All I can say is "WOW!"

It's not all I can say but surely is the only thing Cruise Critic would let me post.

CruiseMunki
December 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Wow griffy! Did you ever mention it? Not sure I could bite my lip in that moment you described.

jhuntermartin
January 1st, 2014, 10:10 AM
I was on a cruise where we had a fair share of rude people. People butting in line, interrupting you, you name it we had it. So one day this man interrupts me while I am asking the CD a few questions. BTW this was an excellent CD so to avoid a conflict I let him continue. At the end I say to him "Thank you, sir for being so polite and interrupting me."

So I say to the CD I just can't believe he did that and her reply I am so used to rude people it doesn't even phase me anymore. So I head into Port and I notice a Kinkos type place and have some business cards created for next to nothing. They said, "Congratulations for being RUDE you are a true AS*HOLE please go FLUSH yourself" I went to Dinner that night and showed them to my table mates and we decided to hand them out as we observed people being rude. WE RAN OUT. The CD saw it and asked for one she said she was going keep that one. We had a good laugh.

jhuntermartin
January 1st, 2014, 10:34 AM

KARMA is a real (female dog) and I love that chic

gmasters
January 1st, 2014, 10:37 AM

We could be related to the same brother could we

kevinsgirl88
January 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM

I'm so sorry. If that was me I would not let him forget

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

turtle tavern
January 2nd, 2014, 07:01 PM
We got married in Cozumel, on the morning of the wedding my brother went on a deep sea fishing excursion where he caught fish and spent the morning heavy drinking (nothing new there). After the wedding we got back on the ship and went to dinner in the MDR. My brother asked why the fish he had caught earlier was not being served to us. He continued to rant about it and wanted us to have his special fish for our wedding meal (yuck). He would not listen to us when we tried to explain about contamination and not being able to bring in outside food into the kitchen. It was horrible and I wanted to die of embarrassment. To this day I am not sure if he actually brought the fish back on the boat or tried to hand it off at the ship entrance, I can only imagine the thoughts running through the crew's mind that had to deal with that situation...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Surfguyxxx
April 5th, 2014, 07:42 AM
All I can say is "WOW!"

I think you and I have the same brother; Gotta love family.....................:confused:

Sue Do-Over
April 9th, 2014, 10:15 PM
There is a whole thread up now about bird poop on a window. The Pax had paid extra for a 'scenic' ocean view room... and it had a splatter of poop on the glass. Not the whole window, just a splat. She just couldn't enjoy looking out that window while she ate her free room service breakfast.

She complained to her room steward, his supervisor, guest services, and every maintenance person she saw (plus her friends, family and table mates), and even volunteered to clean it herself... There is, after all, a deck right out there! Her picture shows a narrow metal scaffold.

Lots of people agreed with her that once she notified guest services, they should have sent out a crew member to clean her window, and that she should ask for a discount on her cruise fare. Because, after all, she paid EXTRA for the view.

No acknowledgement that exterior cleanings, inspections and maintenance are scheduled on a rotation, that working on that scaffold requires a safety harness and special training, or that cleaning HER window would throw off the schedule of safety checks, repairs, or other maintenance around the ship.

IMHO, there was no safety issue, nothing was damaged or at risk of damage, and there was no negligence, nor could the cruise line have possibly kept the bird from choosing where and when to let loose. Sigh.

train460
April 21st, 2014, 04:42 AM
Let me state that not all Americans are rude Aholes.
Let me also state that not all Texans are rude Aholes.

But we have our share that's for sure.

Was his name George?

And on this statement i am taking a shot in the dark in that George Bush made a big deal about hating broccoli.

Michael (The American from Texas)
:) :)

capncarp
April 22nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
Let me state that not all Americans are rude Aholes. Let me also state that not all Texans are rude Aholes.
But we have our share that's for sure.

Train, as a fellow 'Merican, I concur. However many of ours revel in the knowledge that they are _exceptional examples_, and far outpace many foreign models in their ability to enrage, disgust, revolt, and depress their fellow countrymen as well as furriners.:o And they _like_ it that way.
Like it just fine.:rolleyes:

UlvaZell
April 29th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I was just thinking of some of the weirdest, dumbest, or most funny complaints I have heard while on a cruise ship. It was on Princess in the Caribbean there was this one lady. We were standing in line at the pursers desk and the lady in front of us finally had her turn. She walks up carrying two full pieces of paper that were loaded with complaints. One was they requested a table by the window and didn't get, amongst others I can't remember. The one that stuck with us was that she was complaining that she was having to wait 2 minutes for her toast in the morning at the buffet. The kitchen had placed a staff member at the toaster to help people, and most likely because someone burned them selves using it so someone else toasts your bread. She kept going on and on...to the point we couldn't hold it in and busted out laughing at her. Really complain about toast????? We were barely half way through our cruise and this lady had already accumulated enough complaints to fill up 2 pieces of paper. I guess paradise doesn't make everyone happy.:D

A Russian couple on our Alaska trip complained the ice water at the table was too cold... Ugh.

andee2s
April 29th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Loved reading this thread! Thank you Spyder1 for starting.

So on our 2nd (maybe 3rd) cruise we decided to try the formal dining room for the first time for breakfast (usually ate in buffet). We were seated with 10 others and this one woman started complaining on how this trip was so much inferior than her other trip to Panama (ship, itinernary, food, etc) very much dominating the conversation and not really letting anyone else speak. Then she decided she would share her opinions on other things such as eating scrambled eggs and ketchup. "How low can you be if you eat scrambled eggs with ketchup?" Well I had just ordered my scrambled eggs and bacon and was very much looking forward to my side of ketchup:) My husband looked at me when she said it, leaned over and told me, "you eat your eggs and be ketchup proud" She continued on as how uneducated Southern accents sound...and I remember thinking how offensive as well and there maybe someone at the table from the South. And guess what there sure was! I remember eating my "ketchup eggs" and looking at the couple who were also insulted. They nodded and we totally understood each other. That experience made me pass up eating in the dining room for breakfast for awhile:0

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smokeyham
April 29th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Loved reading this thread! Thank you Spyder1 for starting.

So on our 2nd (maybe 3rd) cruise we decided to try the formal dining room for the first time for breakfast (usually ate in buffet). We were seated with 10 others and this one woman started complaining on how this trip was so much inferior than her other trip to Panama (ship, itinernary, food, etc) very much dominating the conversation and not really letting anyone else speak. Then she decided she would share her opinions on other things such as eating scrambled eggs and ketchup. "How low can you be if you eat scrambled eggs with ketchup?" Well I had just ordered my scrambled eggs and bacon and was very much looking forward to my side of ketchup:) My husband looked at me when she said it, leaned over and told me, "you eat your eggs and be ketchup proud" She continued on as how uneducated Southern accents sound...and I remember thinking how offensive as well and there maybe someone at the table from the South. And guess what there sure was! I remember eating my "ketchup eggs" and looking at the couple who were also insulted. They nodded and we totally understood each other. That experience made me pass up eating in the dining room for breakfast for awhile:0

Too bad everyone else at the table did not order scrambled eggs, and then slather ketchup on them, all while start praising southern accents!

So sad that some people just cannot seem to pick up on social cues as far as understanding the negative impact their complaining has on others.

AnyTime Cruiser
May 12th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately, the craziest complaint I ever heard on a cruise ship was from my own mother.

She complained about EVERYTHING! We took them on a cruise for their 25th year wedding anniversary on Carnival in one of their gorgeous suites.

Just a sidebar note? The cruise was AMAZING. There was NOTHING wrong, but she just went on and on and on:

"I can't understand what these people are saying."
(Some of the waitstaff had accents. Nothing you couldn't make out if you spent more time listening and less time whining!)

"It's too hot on this boat!"
(Um, you're in the Caribbean. And sadly, Carnival doesn't have the thermostat to adjust the SUN, Mom!)

"There's nothing to do."
(NOTHING TO DO??? This is from a retiree who only knows what time it is depending on what is on television!)

"Everything is so expensive!"
(Interesting comment...since WE paid for everything! LOL)

"There are too many kids on this boat!"
(She has that wonderful grandmotherly instinct, obviously.)

"This ship moves around too much!"
(Okay, it was a little rough, but hello? You're on a BOAT!)

"You have to walk so far to the buffet!"
(Because, g^d forbid you should do a little walking, right?)

But...my favorite was this one:
"There's nothing on television!"
(Didn't we fly you down from New York to Florida and put you on this ship to get you AWAY from the television???)

Who watches Television on a cruise?

The kicker?

A week later, she writes me a letter telling me she had the BEST TIME EVER! :eek:

Mothers. Can't live with them, can't toss them overboard. ;)

OMG we have the same mother!!! My DH and I took my mother on a cruise (and paid for everything) and although she didn't complain about the television or it being to hot on the boat she did also complain about:

"I'm not walking down the stairs for the safety drill"
(DH told her she better because if the ship went down she was on her own!)

"This food is terrible"
(didn't matter what or where we ate on the ship)

And the kicker complaint was..."Is that $40 for the room guy? All he did was make the bed"
(That's okay mom, we paid that for you too & don't touch that envelope! :eek:)

Like you I got a call a week or two later telling me what a wonderful time she had. It was so bad that after we dropped her off at home my DH turned to me and said "we are NEVER taking her ANYWHERE again!" LOL

tbmrt
May 12th, 2014, 07:51 PM
OMG we have the same mother!!! My DH and I took my mother on a cruise (and paid for everything) and although she didn't complain about the television or it being to hot on the boat she did also complain about:

"I'm not walking down the stairs for the safety drill"
(DH told her she better because if the ship went down she was on her own!)

"This food is terrible"
(didn't matter what or where we ate on the ship)

And the kicker complaint was..."Is that $40 for the room guy? All he did was make the bed"
(That's okay mom, we paid that for you too & don't touch that envelope! :eek:)

Like you I got a call a week or two later telling me what a wonderful time she had. It was so bad that after we dropped her off at home my DH turned to me and said "we are NEVER taking her ANYWHERE again!" LOL

Everything from "there's too much garlic in the food" to they cook w/margarine and not real butter" and on and on and on....

Love her anyway!
Barbara

notentirelynormal
May 12th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Everything from "there's too much garlic in the food" to they cook w/margarine and not real butter" and on and on and on....

Love her anyway!
Barbara

Mine is "it's disgusting that they don't put enough sugar in things. Not everyone is fat!".... Then, of course, is food is horrible now. No one cooks with salt. It completely changes the taste to put it on after .... And it continues. To those that paid for their mom and got the same reponse... yup we might all be related. :eek:

Papa C
July 20th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I have the mirror image of this. My mother-in-law decided to take her children (5) and spouses on a cruise 3 months ago. We sailed aboard Freedom of the Seas which is a behemoth of a ship (I know, not the largest) but pretty stable.

Anyway, one SIL and her husband complained about anything and everything for the 7 days.

They never ordered soup, salad, or appetizer and said there was not enough food. Of course, I told them to order 2 entrees or 3.

They did not like that guy (cabin steward) coming into their room and did they have to tip him?

BIL said he was very subject to motion of the water and was always queasy (amazing given he lives on a lake and is on his boat all the time).

Food was terrible so they ate in the buffet most nights because as we all know there are separate kitchens and cooks to prepare foods for the buffet (NOT).

BIL just could not eat in the dining room due to the motion of the ship altho he dearly wanted to on lobster night but the SIL would not let him.

He complained that these GD people don't speak English

This went on and on for the entire cruise. Now, most of us here truly enjoy cruising so we find this hard to believe but different people have different tastes, or lack thereof, so it is well within their right to feel that way. However I was incensed that they would complain so bitterly in front of the woman who paid for the trip. Her intent was to get her family together and spend time as a family. Their behavior was like getting an expensive Christmas gift from someone and asking the giver why the hell they would give them this crap.

I am venting but I found this so classless and rude that I will not think of this couple the same way as before. Thankfully my wife and I live 1000 miles from the rest of the family so don't have to spend a lot of time with them.

dancinman66
July 21st, 2014, 08:59 AM
The ship creaking thinking it was sinking was one memorable one

Best was a lady complaining she didn't get the outside cabin she booked because she was upgraded to a suite and wanted her original canon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums