When is the best time to drag a humidity hating male to Hawaii?

sherri3802

We are a group of three Australian couples who are considering a cruise in Hawaii on the Pride of America.

Well, that is a bit of a lie-the 3 wives are considering it.;)

When would be the best time to go, do you think?

Given we are in our 50's and past our prime (only just, mind you)

and I have a husband who hates humid weather.

(Yes, I know, Hawaii may not be his top choice but we'll do the Antarctic cruise another time:D)

At the moment, we are thinking about April 2011, as I could fit this into term break.

The other option is we could go in January, but I would prefer to do New Zealand in January, so we(he) can escape the heat here. :D

How likely would we be to see any whales etc in April?

And does it get very humid at that time of year?

I read up about some of the shore excursions, some mentioned kayaking I think it was. It sounded quite relaxing and easy, the way they wrote it. Sounded like a short paddle downstream.

Can anyone of only moderate fitness suggest what would be some of the most suitable excursions-or even what we should avoid.;)

Sorry I can not offer any help, (which I normally dont say anything if I can not offer help) BUT I must say I agree with your husband HUMIDITY is NOBODYS friend. We are going, (my wife and I first time) on the POA March 13, (35 day YEAH) and I will TRY my best to let you know how the humidity is in March! I HATE THE HUMIDITY TOO! :mad:

We normally travel to Hawaii Nov through Jan but I have never found Hawaii to be humid! We have been there in April before but many years ago

LA in September - yes, awful humidity

New Orleans in October - yes, awful humidity...but an amazing city that I would return to even with the over 100% humidity!

But, never had an issue with humidity in Hawaii

April is at or near the end of whale season - I would check some of the whale watching tour web-sites, most will not run whale watching tours outside of the "season" and will tell you the best months for sightings.

Kayaking is alot of fun (we have kayaks and get out whenever the weather here is nice enough) but if you have never done it before you will likely have very sore shoulders the next day. I would say you should be in moderate physical condition to enjoy it. I don't know if these are sit in or sit on kayaks but sit in can be difficult for some to get into. We do it for exercise so we are paddlling hard and working our core - you wouldn't necessarily have to do that but if it's ocean kayaking you would have to contend with waves.

Anyway, that's my take on things - enjoy your trip planning and I hope you get to go. Hawaii is one of our favorite destinations.

I too don't find Hawaii to be humid. Nothing like the Caribbean or American South during the summer. Los Angeles usually isn't humid unless there is a tropical storm from the south that has blown in. You will probably get some rain every day--but it usually comes and goes quickly.

My last 5 trips to Hawaii have been in April or May--beautiful weather.

Here's the wunderground.com forecast for Honolulu for the month of April--doesn't sound as good as i remember.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PHNL/1995/4/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=30&monthend=4&yearend=1995&req_city=Honolulu&req_state=HI&req_statename=Hawaii

Thanks for the replies.

Scotsman, I will look forward to reading your report.

We won't be going as far as LA or New orleans-this time- but I will keep it in mind when not to go there, too!

I have never been to Hawaii, the only place outside of Oz that I have been to is the Sth Pacific islands, on a cruise a year ago.

But my sister in Law (my husband's sister) once visited in September and said the sweat poured off her. Probably a genetic thing as she can't take the heat either.

So, ever since then, I have just assumed Hawaii was always humid.

It has been a relief actually to come on here and find out I got it wrong and the weather could be quite comfortable.

Today I opened the newspaper and there was a report on a jetstar travel survey, linked to people's birth signs.

Could hardly believe my eyes.

Guess what mine said?

Aries travellers, who astrologers say tend to be dynamic types, were most likely to holiday in long-haul destinations such as Hawaii. :D

The only months I would not recommend are late June through early September. If the humidity gets high, it's most likely to be then. That's also the time when the trade winds might "take a break" (my term for it) from time to time. The temps are highest (relative, of course), so it's the old "heat and humidity" thing. In the spring, fall, and winter you might have a bit of humidity, but the trade winds and frequent (but usually brief) showers keep things nice and fresh. The hottest and most humid time we ever had visiting Hawaii was in early September about 10 years ago. It was a combination of a very hot time with temps in the high 90s and even low 100s (very, very unusual, I might add) and the trades being down for about 10 days. Gack! But fortunately, we had showers in Kailua (Oahu windward side) for about an hour every afternoon and we stayed upcountry for a couple of days on Maui, so by the time we headed to Lahaina, the "heat wave" had diminished. We also had lots and lots and lots of time in the nice warm ocean water. Delightful.

beachchick

Beach Chick

Your information is very helpful - thank you

We have been to Hawaii in April but found the weather across from LA to be very cold - is this always the case at this time?

We have the chance to go again in very early November hoping the weather will be warmer both in Hawaii and on the crossing - will this be the case?

We all like it warm

Hope you can direct us to the right month to suit us

Many thanks

Gail

Beach Chick

Your information is very helpful - thank you

We have been to Hawaii in April but found the weather across from LA to be very cold - is this always the case at this time?

We have the chance to go again in very early November hoping the weather will be warmer both in Hawaii and on the crossing - will this be the case?

We all like it warm

Hope you can direct us to the right month to suit us

Many thanks

Gail

Have you thought about flying into Honolulu and taking the 7 day NCL cruise that just does the islands with no real sea days? Just a thought if you are not that fond of crossing the ocean on a cruiseship.

We went in July, and we thought we'd die just walking around the grounds of the Turtle Bay. So, we've chosen January. :D

You need to compare where all these answers are coming from. I used to live in pleasant weather California and went to Hawaii. I found it awfully humid. Then I moved to Texas...humidity capital of the world...and a few years later went to Hawaii again. I found it delightfully free from humidity!! It's all a matter of perspective. What is the humidity like where you are? Compare that to the levels in Hawaii (easy to do online) and there's your REAL answer.

The whales and kayaking in Hawaii make the humidity worth it, however. As do the live volcanoes and the Hawaiian culture itself. Be sure to get off the beaten path and listen to some local live music and try some non-touristy native cuisine. Wonderful! Even if it's humid by your standards, I am betting even your husband will love it.

Very good point. I live in So CA and I have certainly found it hot in HI in July and August. I would not say it is hot and humid in the way FL or TX is in the summer, but it was certainly hotter and more humid than I am used to here in So CA.

You also need to watch the rainy season in HI, it is so green for a reason. In summer the showers are usually short and in the afternoon. Other times of year it rains more.

Jen in SoCal

You need to compare where all these answers are coming from. I used to live in pleasant weather California and went to Hawaii. I found it awfully humid. Then I moved to Texas...humidity capital of the world...and a few years later went to Hawaii again. I found it delightfully free from humidity!! It's all a matter of perspective. What is the humidity like where you are? Compare that to the levels in Hawaii (easy to do online) and there's your REAL answer.

The whales and kayaking in Hawaii make the humidity worth it, however. As do the live volcanoes and the Hawaiian culture itself. Be sure to get off the beaten path and listen to some local live music and try some non-touristy native cuisine. Wonderful! Even if it's humid by your standards, I am betting even your husband will love it.

Very good point. I live in So CA and I have certainly found it hot in HI in July and August. I would not say it is hot and humid in the way FL or TX is in the summer, but it was certainly hotter and more humid than I am used to here in So CA.

You also need to watch the rainy season in HI, it is so green for a reason. In summer the showers are usually short and in the afternoon. Other times of year it rains more.

Jen in SoCal

We're on the central coast, so I pretty much ditto your experiences with July and August (and early September). So true though that it's not like Florida in the summer (or most of the east coast for that matter).

Also, the later spring and most of fall is usually not as rainy as December through March. OTOH, some of the best weather we've ever had in Hawaii was one year in late February. Perfect, just perfect, except that the water was still winter "cool."

The Mommy:

Aloha! Well, if you like it warmest, then May through early October is for you. As for the Pacific crossing, I really can't help you much. We understand that many people love the mainland-Hawaii itineraries, but we don't. When we visit Hawaii, we want to be in Hawaii and not spending 4 days or so getting there. However, I can tell you that for most of the year, the day or so out of Los Angeles will be at least coolish. We do not have the benefit of the gulf stream, so it's simply not as warm as many imagine it to be. For April, it could be nice and warm or it could be cold and stormy. This year, it's likely to be cooler and stormier because we're in the midst of a moderate El Nino. The surface ocean waters are warmest in the summer and early fall, so June through October could be ideal crossing months for you.

beachchick

Have you thought about flying into Honolulu and taking the 7 day NCL cruise that just does the islands with no real sea days? Just a thought if you are not that fond of crossing the ocean on a cruiseship.

Yes we have but its not that easy finding a package to suit

We would love to stay on Maui for a week and cruise so we may see if we can put it together

many thanks

Gail

We're on the central coast, so I pretty much ditto your experiences with July and August (and early September). So true though that it's not like Florida in the summer (or most of the east coast for that matter).

Also, the later spring and most of fall is usually not as rainy as December through March. OTOH, some of the best weather we've ever had in Hawaii was one year in late February. Perfect, just perfect, except that the water was still winter "cool."

The Mommy:

Aloha! Well, if you like it warmest, then May through early October is for you. As for the Pacific crossing, I really can't help you much. We understand that many people love the mainland-Hawaii itineraries, but we don't. When we visit Hawaii, we want to be in Hawaii and not spending 4 days or so getting there. However, I can tell you that for most of the year, the day or so out of Los Angeles will be at least coolish. We do not have the benefit of the gulf stream, so it's simply not as warm as many imagine it to be. For April, it could be nice and warm or it could be cold and stormy. This year, it's likely to be cooler and stormier because we're in the midst of a moderate El Nino. The surface ocean waters are warmest in the summer and early fall, so June through October could be ideal crossing months for you.

beachchick

Many thanks for your kind help

We will see what is available and maybe go direct

Thank you

Regards

Gail

Archived