PDA

View Full Version : Any "Must Do's" in Nassau, Key West

mycko75
March 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi all. Im booked on the Majesty March 15th sailing. It will be my girlfriend's first ever cruise and my second.

I was wondering if there were any "must do's" in Nassau and Key West. Providing we can actually go to Cococay, we plan on that being a beach day, but are unsure of what we want to do in the other two locations.

Thanks

rummenroman
March 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Check out Atlantis in Nassau. I've been there before, and am going back in June. Their aquariums are amazing! It can be expensive to get in, but well worth the money IMO!

PattyG12
March 5th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Nassau's "must do" is probably Atlantis. Just cab it over there and explore. If your girlfriend has never been to the straw market, it's a must do if she's a shopper. Key West has always been a great walking day. The Southernmost point and the "90 miles to Cuba" thing. Plus lunch at the original Margaritaville and I'm happy. While in Cococay, there is a very nice nature trail so you and your girlfriend can find a nice secluded beach to hang out on.

Mack2
March 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Ardastra Gardens in Nassau... they have the Marching Flamingos.
We went on our own, missed the show, but ended up meeting the trainer.

He pretty much gave us a private show, let the kids march around with the birds.
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v360/95/98/1507726387/n1507726387_30039161_7563.jpg

They also have an area where you get to feed some sorta parrot-thing. Put out your hand with a piece of apple, and they'll fly over, land on your hand, and start eating.
That was cool.

yogimax
March 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Not much in Nassau. Key West, on the other hand, is fun for walking... and if you happen to be a cat lover, don't miss the Hemingway Museum which plays host to numerous six-toed felines!

tkjohn25
March 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Must do in Nassau. Stay on the ship, do not waste your time. Sorry never been to Key West.

cb at sea
March 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
The ship is the thing in Nassau, IMO,...if you must get off, take a walk around the little "shopping" area...
The pool will be virtually yours alone on port days...it's a lovely way to use the ship that you've PAID to use!
Paying to go to Atlantis' pool seems a waste of $$$ to me. If you want to see the hotel, eat in the restaurants, shop in their stores or gamble, there's no charge to do any of those thing. Atlantis is a quick cab ride.

Mack2
March 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
There are a ton of GREAT bars to hang out in at Key West... Great for a beer and a quick bite.

There's a Butterfly Conservatory in Key West... which used to be REALLY unique, but now EVERYONE has a butterfly farm of some sort.
Still, it's neat to walk around some garden and have butterflies flitting around your head.
http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/

... and if you're there, might as well get a picture of yourselves here:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/fl/FLKEYsouthernmost.jpg

Grandiva
March 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Key Lime Pie in Key West. I will be there in Oct. and plan to have 2 slices. Yum! In Nassau we did a glass bottom boat tour, through RC....Don't Do It! We walked around and ended up back on the ship pretty quickly.

hpreece
March 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I went "swimming with the sting rays" in Black Beard Cay...I highly recommend it.
-Heather

VMcG'
March 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
NASSAU:
There is an historical walk on Fodor's. It takes you to the library, QVictoria statue, courthouses, parliament, the fort, water tower, Queen's staircase etc. Doesn't take long but is interesting and up by the fort are great prices for stuff, if you're into that. I like to learn something about the place I visit. There's the pirate museum. It's okay, a bit poor man's Disney. And I love pirates-safe ones, that is.
I hear the beach (forgot the name)-where the fish restaurant places are, is wonderful. The best advice I got was from a native who said to rent a car for a day & visit the other side of the island.
Atlantis is beautiful, but it is a resort. Reminded me of a fancy Vegas Hotel but in a tropical paradise rather than the middle of the desert. Did not like the straw market. Yikes. Depends on what you're into. And try conch. "When in Rome, man".
PS: these Nassau people are some of the nicest, most polite, lovely people anywhere. Cheers!

Mack2
March 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
PS: these Nassau people are some of the nicest, most polite, lovely people anywhere. Cheers!

Remember to be on your guard in Nassau, though...
http://www.tribune242.com/10142009_touristsrobbed_news_pg1
Wednesday, October 14, 2009

POLICE are hunting two vicious robbers who held a group of terrified tourists at gunpoint and made off with their cash and possessions.
The victims, understood to be Americans from a cruise ship, feared for their lives as they were held up.

And it is thought the attack may have major repercussions on Nassau's tourist trade, with would-be visitors fearing for their personal safety.
The 11-strong group of men and women were attacked at the top of the Queen's Staircase on Sunday morning.

They had arrived in Nassau on a cruise ship and were on a taxi cab tour of the capital's historic sites when their pleasant visit turned to terror as they viewed the 66 steps.

VMcG'
March 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Remember to be on your guard in Nassau, though...
http://www.tribune242.com/10142009_touristsrobbed_news_pg1
Yeah, well, they're not ALL polite. Just like anywhere. But the avg citizen is very nice and genuinely friendly. We've travelled all around the world and have learned to be cautious.

torpeedo
March 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
We enjoyed the Conch train ride in Key West, plus the Key Lime pie was yummy:)

LBumb
March 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
key west must is to walk around and take in the sights and people. nassau i must stop at senor frogs, fun place with a great view.

DEERINH2O
March 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
We stayed in Key West for 10 days, Duval street is a must. It has lots of open area bars and lots of little stores. YOu can walk all over Key West. It is a great place and I can't wait to go back....

Have fun.
Kathy

sandij
March 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Do you like pirates? They both have excellent pirate museums.

poisonangel514
March 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
The pirate museum in Nassau was really good. We went on the Forts and pirates tour. If you want to grab a drink on Key West, I suggest The Flying Monkey. They have a varity of frozen drinks. One of them is made from moonshine.

ialawhawk
March 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hi! I'm also going to be on the Majesty on the 15th!!!! :DSee ya there! When we are in Nassau, our group is going to be going to the British Colonial Hilton, which is a few blocks away from the docks. They have a beach, kayaks, pool, etc. It's $40 for the whole day, plus you get $30 credit at their restaurant. It's right by Senor Frogs too! :p

Key West is great to just walk around. I enjoyed the shipwreck museum, Earnest Hemingway's house as well as walking by all of the small personal yahts/boats and looking at them. Can't miss the key lime pie (key lime everything really!) either!!!

Looking forward to sailing! We're only, like 9 days out!:eek:

jimbulger
March 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Nassau's "must do" is probably Atlantis. Just cab it over there and explore. If your girlfriend has never been to the straw market, it's a must do if she's a shopper. Key West has always been a great walking day. The Southernmost point and the "90 miles to Cuba" thing. Plus lunch at the original Margaritaville and I'm happy. While in Cococay, there is a very nice nature trail so you and your girlfriend can find a nice secluded beach to hang out on.

Ditto here but my Lunch in Key west is Sloppy Joes... 1/2 Liquid Lunch 1/2 original sloppy Joe sandwich

mycko75
March 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Thats awesome Iowa Law Hawk! How many is your group?

TennGirl615
March 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I went "swimming with the sting rays" in Black Beard Cay...I highly recommend it.
-Heather

I second that!...We did that one year and it was the best excursion I have ever done!...And its not expensive at all!

TennGirl615
March 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I've been to nassau 5 times...Not much to see now but I would recommend the Queens staircase or when you get off the ship there are locals offering to take you on a tour of the island...worth the money and they take you to pretty much everything..Queens staircase, atlantis, the rich side and poor side of the island...You can also walk to the Queens staircase which Ive done and would not recommend walking ever!...I would also be careful in Nassau...We had a local stop us the last time and talk for 30 mins about how the government is crooked and that all the travelers should be careful....Coco Cay is by far the best island to relax...they have a free bbq lunch thats really good....I have to wait until July:(.....Have fun!

My2Kitties
March 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Last time I was there my dd and I took the taxi over to Atlantis and paid 60pp to go thru and we really enjoyed it...beautiful man made beach...great aquarium...we really thought it was worth the money...then before boarding again we did some of the markets...

Key West...there is so much to do...we have been there several times and always find walking around and enjoying Duvall St is great, the Hemingway house is nice...last time we took the Conch Train around...get the one that you can get on and off at different stops...it might be more but oh so worth it...we got a guided tour of the entire island and could get off and on at the stops...so we stopped a few times...once at Margaritaville for lunch...beach to check it out...and also right by the ship is the Museum of Art that is great to walk around the outside and see all the nice art...Also great unusually shopping...best port of call in our book....

At sailaway in KW make sure you are ready with camera for sunset...the dock will fill with people just to see the sunset...If you would like to see my pics, click on my link in the signature and look for Majesty of the Seas...it was our first mother/daughter cruise...dh, dd and myself have been there several times consider it a favorite port...

ialawhawk
March 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Thats awesome Iowa Law Hawk! How many is your group?

Only a couple of us . . . but we're up for a major good time!:D One of my friends that is going is on his first cruise too, just like your girlfriend! We're gonna have a blast! This is my 3rd RCCL cruise and I can't wait! Hope to see you on board!:p

mycko75
March 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Only a couple of us . . . but we're up for a major good time!:D One of my friends that is going is on his first cruise too, just like your girlfriend! We're gonna have a blast! This is my 3rd RCCL cruise and I can't wait! Hope to see you on board!:p

Well..email me...we can make a point of it! Its my username @ hot mail dot com

Crusin' from Fl
March 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
If you are interested in just "hangin' where the locals hang" go to Fish Fry (Arawak Cay). It's a great location along the water where they make conch "everything"! Fritters, salad, fried, scorched, soups and anything seafood! Goldies has a great atmosphere, watch them make the conch salad. Also check out Jennifer at the Entertainment hut...it's an outside venue with music playing and drinks flowing...it's an outside place and as much fun as you want to have. All the food locations there are AWESOME! You can also take the local jitney down there or cab...Drinks are reasonable and the food is WOW!

Take the water taxi from the pier if you want to go to Atlantis to hang out on your own...it's so adventurous! :eek:

PH8
March 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Nassau seems to always be bashed around here(as one poster has WARNED everyone)...........just like any place........USA or not...you have to just be aware of your surroundings.........

I have been to Nassau more than I can count........

To someone who has never been,I suggest grabbing one of the tours right there at the port..........costs about $25pp.......its a 3 hour tour and they show you spots on the islands and explain what you are seeing......then they take you to Atlantis and your guide walks you around and explains things in there too.......

Its a pretty affordable way to see Nassau..

mikefast
March 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Has anybody mentioned Mallory Square at sunset? We have been to Key West several times and have always enjoyed the free shows there. Some are pretty good, some are, well, there. Still, we have always had fun there.

PH8
March 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Has anybody mentioned Mallory Square at sunset? We have been to Key West several times and have always enjoyed the free shows there. Some are pretty good, some are, well, there. Still, we have always had fun there.
They have to be back onboard at 5:30pm for a 6pm departure.........sunset is a little after 7:30 that time of year........

LBumb
March 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
in key west get a picture at the southernmost point. i know it is just a painted concrete thing, but it makes for a unique photo. walk is about 30 minutes at a average pace.

nolimits
March 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
A great place to go is Arawak Cay in Nassau . Its a short cab ride good outdoor area of Bars and food. Big local spot when ships leave at night . Lots of fun in day light 1/2 tourist 1/2 local. Beer 2$ fresh Conch salad 10$ also try The local fried Lobster.Lots of Music .Very colorful buildings makes you feel like you on tropical island.Atlantis is cool but not Vegas and very expensive.

dixieva
March 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Be careful in Arawak Cay about arranging a ride back to town. We had no problem finding a cab to take us there but when we wanted to leave it was very difficult. We walked to the local bus stop but all the buses that came by were very full. We waited and waited. It was very hot. I thought we'd never get back. Finally saw a cab dropping some folks off and got him to take us back.

Windy56
March 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Key West just might be my favourite port. Last time I was there I rented a bicycle and toured the island all day. Trip Advisor is great for listing the "must do's". I went to the lighthouse and climbed up for a great panoramic view. I went to this really neat private garden and spent an hour or so there. I also rode around their famous cemetary where sailors from the Maine are interred. It is also the site of the famous tombstone with the inscription "I told you I was sick". I also stopped at one of their great bars for a Mararita and then topped off the day with coffee and key lime pie at the Hilton along the pier. There is so much to do and see in this port and the locals are very, very friendly!

carol louise
March 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have been to Nassau several times, and recommend the Ardastra Gardens. If you take a ship's tour that includes it, it will be timed to include the flamingo show. But the Gardens are more than the birds and animals. It is a botanical garden as well, with little paths and descriptions of the plants and trees. It is calm and peaceful as well as beautiful. Maybe you would prefer this to the crowds at Atlantis.

RUBBER DUCK
March 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
As a first timer, the basics should be covered: Nassau-Straw Market, but if you're not comfortable with the "handmade" flea market type scene or into shopping it can be skipped. Atlantis is a nice tour, but it is a little expensive. I liked the pirate museum, but it's not for kids. It's relatively lifelike scenes of pirates in real costume and built vignettes with descriptions. Kids under 10 might get scared. Mine did. You can also do tours that go farther away from the port which can show you what the real island life is like.

In Key West, there's lots to do within walking distance of the ship. Duvall st is a great scene for places to eat and drink, theres the lighthouse museum, and hemingway house. We missed the pirate museum opening by 1 day, but I have heard it is really cool. We did the Crazy Boat ride which was really fun and I would do again.

Mango Tango
March 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
In Key West, make sure you get a piece of Key Lime Pie on a Stick at the Blond Giraffe. So Yummy!!!

Alwaysacruiseinthequeue
March 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hi all. Im booked on the Majesty March 15th sailing. It will be my girlfriend's first ever cruise and my second.

I was wondering if there were any "must do's" in Nassau and Key West. Providing we can actually go to Cococay, we plan on that being a beach day, but are unsure of what we want to do in the other two locations.

Thanks

Hi, I've been to Key West twice and Nassau four times. Key West is pretty much a nice walking tour. We didn't really have much time to do more than walk around in the shops and stop and some of the restaurants. Nassau I really became familiar with. We did the Ardastra Gardens (the zoo) which is GREAT and has a really neat show with trained flamingos. I have some Youtube video, a slideshow at Kodak, and some other links if you'd like. If you like the idea of being taken around the island the way you want to, go where you want to, etc. with your own driver, I can even give you a number. Oh! You'll want to do lunch at the Fish Fry, which is a block of "local" restaurants where you get more of the real feel of the Bahamian people.

-Stephanie

Alwaysacruiseinthequeue
March 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
If you are interested in just "hangin' where the locals hang" go to Fish Fry (Arawak Cay). It's a great location along the water where they make conch "everything"! Fritters, salad, fried, scorched, soups and anything seafood! Goldies has a great atmosphere, watch them make the conch salad. Also check out Jennifer at the Entertainment hut...it's an outside venue with music playing and drinks flowing...it's an outside place and as much fun as you want to have. All the food locations there are AWESOME! You can also take the local jitney down there or cab...Drinks are reasonable and the food is WOW!

Take the water taxi from the pier if you want to go to Atlantis to hang out on your own...it's so adventurous! :eek:

Is that cracked conch not AWESOME???

-Stephanie

Alwaysacruiseinthequeue
March 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
NASSAU:
And try conch. "When in Rome, man".

Oh, my! Cracked Conch! YES!

The people really are nice. We hired a driver for the day from the internet and were soooo pleased. She met us just as we got off the boat and stayed with us all day. She was so nice and knowledgeable and took us all over the island. We had a BLAST with her! It was like we had known her forever! Also, they really care about their history and work to keep the knowledge going in the kids and informing others about it.

-Stephanie

dep
March 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
At the end of the train ride around Key West , a little stand ,fritters to die for.

rrgreennc
March 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Oh, my! Cracked Conch! YES!

The people really are nice. We hired a driver for the day from the internet and were soooo pleased. She met us just as we got off the boat and stayed with us all day. She was so nice and knowledgeable and took us all over the island. We had a BLAST with her! It was like we had known her forever! Also, they really care about their history and work to keep the knowledge going in the kids and informing others about it.

-Stephanie

Who did you use, and what was the cost?

cleophus12
March 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Don't know how you feel about shoes, but the Kino Sandals shop is must-do on my list. If they don't have your color on display, they will make it for you while you wait. The sandals are about $8-10 if you buy them there. Back home at a beach boutique, they will run you about $35. They are comfortable, cute, and easy to pack. I keep a pair of every color in my closet. And I don't even work for these people! Can't remember exactly where it is, but you can google them.

depplep
March 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Don't know how you feel about shoes, but the Kino Sandals shop is must-do on my list. If they don't have your color on display, they will make it for you while you wait. The sandals are about $8-10 if you buy them there. Back home at a beach boutique, they will run you about $35. They are comfortable, cute, and easy to pack. I keep a pair of every color in my closet. And I don't even work for these people! Can't remember exactly where it is, but you can google them.

I want to say Kinos is at Greene St.? There is a cigar place there as well that my husband loves. Key West is all that is posted above. In Nassau, I would also add that the straw market is knock off merchandise, so know that ahead of time. We are die hard Hard Rock fans so we hang out at the Hard Rock when we are there. Have a great cruise!

PurpleJet
March 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM

To someone who has never been,I suggest grabbing one of the tours right there at the port..........costs about $25pp.......its a 3 hour tour and they show you spots on the islands and explain what you are seeing......then they take you to Atlantis and your guide walks you around and explains things in there too.......

Thanks for the tip - we did a similar tour in St Thomas and it was really really fun!

To the Previous poster - what is the best way of getting to the hard rock - We are also massive fans!

depplep
March 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
From the Port:
Go West (right) on Woodes Rogers Walk to Charlotte St. and go South (left).

It's not hard to find. Opens at 11. Enjoy!

depplep
March 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I guess I should have said that it's walkable.

PurpleJet
March 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
oh lol!! I thought we would have to get a taxi or something, thanks a lot people!

Capecodbeachfront
March 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
In Nassau the only must do is probably the Atlantis...
We took the water taxi over and enjoyed walking around the public area.
A lot of the Aquarium is public... enough for us anyways.
Did some shopping in the Marina Village...
Atlantis Casino was nice... but we preferred the ship's casino.
BTW Take the land taxi back! Water taxis are slow coming back to port.
I regret not taking a short taxi tour of the island.
Friends did a great 'taxi tour' on their way back from Atlantis.
We went back to ship's Compass Deli for dessert crepes !
I recommend mashed banana with butterscotch drizzle !

Definitely do the island walk at Cococay...
The mini straw market there is good for souvenirs... CASH helps.

Key West can be problematic if debarking is slow...
We did the Trolley... but I recommend the conch train... Faster!
Then you can walk to what you want to do...
Kermit's choc dipped frozen Key Lime pie was good.
Bring a good map with you as KW does not have good signing!
We did Truman Summer White House... I'd give it a B+.
I liked walking around the streets looking for photo ops!
Being on Majesty you at least are in port for good hours 10-5
Can not see why some ships port from 7AM to 1:30 PM... bummer!

3happyferrets
March 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Must do in Nassau. Stay on the ship, do not waste your time. Sorry never been to Key West.

HAHA!! That is what my husband and I do most of the time! We booked snorkeling this time but otherwise, extra day at sea:p As far as the OP's question, if it's your first time the straw market is an experience, anyway. Just be ready to say "no" and walk away.

mycko75
March 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi! I'm also going to be on the Majesty on the 15th!!!! :DSee ya there! When we are in Nassau, our group is going to be going to the British Colonial Hilton, which is a few blocks away from the docks. They have a beach, kayaks, pool, etc. It's $40 for the whole day, plus you get $30 credit at their restaurant. It's right by Senor Frogs too! :p

Key West is great to just walk around. I enjoyed the shipwreck museum, Earnest Hemingway's house as well as walking by all of the small personal yahts/boats and looking at them. Can't miss the key lime pie (key lime everything really!) either!!!

Did you book the Colonial Hilton seperately? I didnt see it listed as one of the excursions to book through the ship...

ialawhawk
March 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah we booked the British Colonial Hilton separately. There's a website that you can reserve from. They have a limited number of spots daily.

mycko75
March 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks. I'll try and find the website and run it by her and see if its an option. We are buying kayaks later this year, so she might like that!

tip
March 8th, 2010, 08:49 PM
KEY WEST

Another vote for the Conch Train--gives a good overview even if you do feel that you are going in circles!
The coral reefs are the best here! Take a glass bottomed boat ride out of Mallory Square
I would give the Truman Summer White House an A+, but then again, he was my favorite president!
NASSAU

Another vote for Ardasta Gardens and the flamingos. Get there by the local jitney buses.
The straw market is interesting.
We also enjoyed the slave museum.

Aquahound
March 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I want to say Kinos is at Greene St.? There is a cigar place there as well that my husband loves. Key West is all that is posted above.

Very close. It's on Fitzpatrick St. in between Greene St. and Front St.

Capecodbeachfront
March 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
<P>"I would give the Truman Summer White House an A+, but then again, he was my favorite president! "</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Actually we did enjoy the Truman museum... but had a very hard time finding it. Went to the museum annex by mistake. We were about 50 yards away but did not know it... Signs PLEASE !</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Glass bottom boat? Sounds great... I missed it.</P>

TennGirl615
March 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Why does everyone keep talking about doing the island walk on Coco Cay?...Its not even that big and everything is right there when you are taken to the dock

Aquahound
March 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Why does everyone keep talking about doing the island walk on Coco Cay?...Its not even that big and everything is right there when you are taken to the dock

Because it's nice to get away from the crowds for a little while. The far side of the island is very pretty and very private.

Capecodbeachfront
March 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Granted the walk is not spectatular...
but I totally agree with the idea of getting away from the crowds...
even if it is only for 30 minutes...
take your camera, get a few photos...
to me it defines... private island!
Not something most of us will often encounter!

lady_cruiser
March 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
In Key West we did the Trolley Tour which also includes tickets to the Pirate Museum and Aquarmine.

golfer1966
March 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks

But a chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick....OMG SOOOO GOOD :D

hjharri
March 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
We were in Nassau last week. We caught a local van tour 20.00 per person, did an excellent tour of Nassau, took us to Fort Charlotte we got out amd walked to the top of the Fort and had an incredible view of the harbour, etc. Then he stopped at the Queens Staircase, we all walked down the stairs and took pictures, then he took us to Atlantis, view the aquarium, the beach area was free, we opted to stay at Atlantis and caught another taxi back to the ship. Well work the price. Loved the Straw Market if you like knock off purses, wow...Senor Frogs is fun.

Key West..we took a tour using Old Trolley Tours, goes all around Key West, it is a hop on hop off, so you can pick the tour up where you got off and continue. We got off at the Hemingway House, love the cats, and then got back on when the trolley came past later in the day.

mycko75
March 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah we booked the British Colonial Hilton separately. There's a website that you can reserve from. They have a limited number of spots daily.

Its getting SOOOO close. How excited are you???

brunello22
March 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
In Key West, stay off the touristy Duval Street, get away from Sloppy Joe's, Margaritaville, and the trinkets and trash shops, and head to a bicycle rental shop ... Moped Hospital or Eaton Bikes (there are other bike shops around too ... I am sure you can look them up online). You will get a map and it really is the best and most fun way to get around the island. The train or trolley is OK too, but I prefer a bike. I am a locals kind of person, so go to Pepe's on Caroline Street for a tasty margarita made with fresh lime juice or a fresh Bloody Mary. They have an interesting sampling of oysters too. Conch fritters at the Schooner Wharf Bar. Lunch at Blue Heaven. Higgins and Smathers Beaches. Key lime pie at the factory. So many cool places off the beaten path. Too bad the ship sails before sunset, which is the highlight of Key West at Mallory Square.

Enjoy!

Conanc
March 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Ardastra Gardens in Nassau... they have the Marching Flamingos.
We went on our own, missed the show, but ended up meeting the trainer.

He pretty much gave us a private show, let the kids march around with the birds.
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v360/95/98/1507726387/n1507726387_30039161_7563.jpg

They also have an area where you get to feed some sorta parrot-thing. Put out your hand with a piece of apple, and they'll fly over, land on your hand, and start eating.
That was cool.

Great photo!!! :) We had fun at Ardastra Gardens. The Flamingo march is really cute and we enjoyed feeding the parrots. Afterwards we went to the Fish Fry -- where the locals hang out -- for a drink and some conch fritters.

Arubamoose
March 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
If you have never been to Nassau....it is worth the ride over to Atlantis just to check it out. But IMHO - I stay on board. Been so many times, but cruise and land vacations.

Key West is a hoot. Great for walking around. Great for drinking. Best tour we ever did was a circumnavigation of Key West on a wave runner. There is a great company out there...Key West Water Tours. Their Ultimate Island tour was fantastic - 2 hours. $150 double, $135 single. (They have a coupon on their webpage) We rode past the Majesty. My kids thought that was the coolest thing.

BillOh
March 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have yet to read all your replies, but if you have never rode a segway, we found it to be a great time when we were on Majesty in 07.

http://mccallw.tripod.com/segway.jpg

ialawhawk
March 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yup we're getting very excited!!! :DCan't wait to feel the sun after this past week of cold, rainy and cloudy!:eek:

mycko75
March 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Yup we're getting very excited!!! :DCan't wait to feel the sun after this past week of cold, rainy and cloudy!:eek:

We've actually had quite pleasant weather the last week or so...for southern ontario anyway! Its been sunny and in the 50s for most of the last while! Supposed to get REALLY rainy though beginning on Thursday!

What are you guys doing in Miami the day before the cruise?

CherylsCaribbeanTravel
March 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM
If you are adventerous, I did a "swim with the sharks" excursion in Nassau. Ride a bus to the Stuarts Cove (it was quite a long drive to the other side of the island). Really quaint little marina where Gilligan's Island was filmed (or was that Flipper?). Load into a 2 story boat. You do a cruise up the coast. Nice views from second story of the boat. See cool houses. Two deep water snorkeling stops. Reefs in good condition for Nassau.

Last stop was over a bait pile with 10-20 reef sharks (3 to 5 feet long). You snorkel right over the sharks praying they stay interested in the bait pile and not you ;). It was scary, certainly not for everyone, but thrill seekers might enjoy.

I booked this excursion on a Holland America Cruise. Not sure of RCL offers it, but if they do and it sounds even remotely interesting, do it. It is one of my favorite excursions of all time.

Cheryl :)

BillOh
March 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not much in Nassau. Key West, on the other hand, is fun for walking... and if you happen to be a cat lover, don't miss the Hemingway Museum which plays host to numerous six-toed felines!

Thanks for mentioning that, we are researching a cruise that stops in Key West and would love this.

csoud
March 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
you must stay away from the shops in nassau

Bashley
March 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
How do I get information on this, do I call the hotel directly?

ialawhawk
March 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I found out about this place on another thread. I went to this address:
https://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

to book for us. It's $40 and you get $30 in credit at the beach restuarant. Can be spend on both food and drinks. ;). You can also use their pool, beach chairs, kayaks, etc. I have read it's about a 10 min. walk from RCCI's dock and is right by Bay street if you would like to go shopping. Also, Senor Frogs is attached to this hotel, so that's fun too!

When you email them for a reservation, they check that date and then get back to you. You only have to put 25% down and then pay the rest at the hotel the day of. If the ship doesn't dock or something, there's a refund too. I can't wait - we're less than a week out!:D

mycko75
March 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I found out about this place on another thread. I went to this address:
https://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

to book for us. It's $40 and you get $30 in credit at the beach restuarant. Can be spend on both food and drinks. ;). You can also use their pool, beach chairs, kayaks, etc. I have read it's about a 10 min. walk from RCCI's dock and is right by Bay street if you would like to go shopping. Also, Senor Frogs is attached to this hotel, so that's fun too!

When you email them for a reservation, they check that date and then get back to you. You only have to put 25% down and then pay the rest at the hotel the day of. If the ship doesn't dock or something, there's a refund too. I can't wait - we're less than a week out!:D

And Emily at that link is very helpful!

duffy's wife
March 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The straw market was NASTY the last time we were there. A million flies, big huge puddles all through market. The smell was horrendous. I wouldn't recommend going there.
Go on Main Street if you feel the need to shop.