PDA

View Full Version : MasterChief

omakim
March 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
For black tie events, Are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?

pb82
March 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Sadly, what is allowed and what is correct are two entirely different things.

PvTraveler
March 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Tie and cumberbands are the only ways the gentlemen can show a little flaire. Yes I have seen them worn, also plaid,the red, white and blue. It is your trip so have some fun. At least you are willing to wear ties. Have a great trip.PS there is also a QM2 tie on sale in the shops that makes a great statement.

Berserker
March 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Tie and cumberbands are the only ways the gentlemen can show a little flaire. Yes I have seen them worn, also plaid,the red, white and blue. It is your trip so have some fun. At least you are willing to wear ties. Have a great trip.PS there is also a QM2 tie on sale in the shops that makes a great statement.

I'm sorry, but a Gentleman leaves colour to his wife. A black silk self tie bow tie is appropriate. Anything else would not be the preserve of a Gentleman.

Valentino
March 12th, 2010, 07:19 AM
As the guys are so limited on a tux night I think it's a nice tough to mix and match the tie and cumberband. The girls can wear a different outfit each night - why not give the guys an opportunity to mix it up a bit.

Who cares what's right or wrong a nice tux with a snazzy tie always looks smart and presentable.

garigoun
March 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Who cares what's right or wrong

Sadly a sentiment shared by so many in every walk of life today.

a nice tux with a snazzy tie always looks smart and presentable.

In your opinion! The word snazzy says it all does it not? It is not the business of gentlemen to parade about like a penguin/peacock hybrid or a low rent children's entertainer. Not only is it vulgar it detracts from the elegance of ladies.

Gari

Cruachan
March 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
In your opinion! The word snazzy says it all does it not? It is not the business of gentlemen to parade about like a penguin/peacock hybrid or a low rent children's entertainer. Not only is it vulgar it detracts from the elegance of ladies.

Ah, truly a classic piece of Gounist philosophical discourse there. Bring it on Big G - we want more :D

J

PS - is it just me, or does MasterChief look a little non-sequiturish?

BigMac1953
March 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
For black tie events, Are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?

Exactly how many shades of black is there?

Black tie = black tie.

However, Cunard do not insist upon "Black Tie", but their version of "Formal" (not White Tie) so you must adhere to their code.

Most do, some don't.

There is nothing to be gained from being the "odd man out", apart from tuts and harumphs. Best to stay traditional, unless you really don't care, or wish to make a "statement", but if that's the case, then you've picked the wrong travel company, the traditionalists on Cunard will always win.

Just do the right thing and thoroughly enjoy yourselves! believe me, you will.

Good luck.

Stewart

dashiel
March 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
this site is very useful in determining black-tie etiquette. http://www.blacktieguide.com/

Just keep in mind that the difference between skillfully bending the rules and oafishly breaking them lies in a man’s knowledge of the fundamental principles behind those rules. For those men willing to experiment with untried black-tie variations, these fundamentals can be discerned in the introduction to the Contemporary section. For others who prefer to take advantage of tried-and-true options in their quest for tasteful personalization, they may choose from the following sartorial precedents favored by some of the most stylish dressers of the twentieth century.

Discretion is an important factor in assembling an evening kit that is distinctive without being distasteful; the adage “less is more” couldn’t be better suited to customizing a wardrobe that derives its primary appeal from its understated simplicity. Therefore, when choosing among the following classic alternatives is best to limit oneself to a single item at a time.

Also be aware that a man’s age and an event’s formality will impact the appropriateness of these alternatives. The guidelines for contemporary variations apply just as much to classic ones.
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Alternatives.htm

they suggest selecting a single element (cummerbund, pocket square, vest, cufflinks) to add color. they specifically prohibit any color variation of the bow tie, but do allow for patterns where the predominant color is still black.

to be frank i've seen many men wearing ill-fiting formal attire, but adhering strictly to the rules. this in my opinion indicates a gentlemen who doesn't know the etiquette and is in adherence by default. i have also seen men wearing exquisitely tailored dinner jackets that break the strict rules of formal attire and looked stunning. given the choice between ignorant adherence (e.g. a pre-tied black bow tie) and intentional break from tradition (a colorful self-tied bow tie), i'd choose the latter every time.

BigMac1953
March 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Tie and cumberbands

I'm not sure what a "cumberband" is.

Is this similar to a cummerbund?

hcrane
March 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Gari

Well put!!!

hcrane
March 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Should not that be are?

BigMac1953
March 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Should not that be are?
..but being only one, the answer "is one".

MrandMrsBeee
March 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Sadly, what is allowed and what is correct are two entirely different things.

I would be interested in knowing what is "correct" ?

BigMac1953
March 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Right, that's it!

I'm off to noise up the "Clotted Cream" posters.

Have a good weekend!

Stewart

dashiel
March 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Black tie = black tie.

except when it's midnight blue.

The Real PM
March 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Gari
Here we go again! :o) I love the look of black bow ties on all the gentlemen on the Cuanrd ships. They look so dignified and refined and handsome and identical--but this sense of male etiquette seems to end on the Cunard cruise line. Most males of any other species, parade quite grandly and proudly around in their brightly, well pruned, colored feathers and lovely outstanding, well groomed coats to attract their females. Might it be the arrogance of the cruise ship male, who believes he is far too important to waltz around in an attempt to attract the lowly female? Could it be that arrogance that brings about the belief that anything but black is vulgar? Just a thought!:)

pb82
March 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I would be interested in knowing what is "correct" ?Miss Manners describes it best:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/*********Test/MissManners_edited-1.jpg

Morrisons For Me
March 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Miss Manners describes it best:

She might, but it is academic when your image is too small to read.

MrandMrsBeee
March 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Miss Manners describes it best:

I would love to know who "Miss Manners" is and who put her in charge. I wonder if she is a stylist for Vogue? Vogue USA judging by her spelling.

Fashion is constantly changing and as long as people stick to the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter of it I cannot understand why people give a jot.

If nothing ever changed we would still be wearing uncomfortable extravagant clothing that the Elizabethans insisted was correct with huge white ruffles around our necks.

Until the 1880s only white tie and tailcoat was correct. It was not until someone dared to be different that the current dinner jacket and black tie was adopted.

In the 70's men often had huge lapels and frills everywhere.

Young men these days often opt for a long black tie with their DJ.

And so what?

I do wonder if the followers of "correct" dress have their men wearing full morning dress to the Ascot Ball?

Thank heavens the likes of Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn started wearing trousers when it was thought of as "not correct" for women.

Cruachan
March 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Might it be the arrogance of the cruise ship male, who believes he is far too important to waltz around in an attempt to attract the lowly female? Could it be that arrogance that brings about the belief that anything but black is vulgar?

Ummm... I think it's more likely that they feel that if they all dress identically and huddle together for protection their wives won't be able to spot them and drag them on to the dance floor!

:D

J

The Real PM
March 12th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Ummm... I think it's more likely that they feel that if they all dress identically and huddle together for protection their wives won't be able to spot them and drag them on to the dance floor!

J
Speak for yourself, Mr Cruachan!

Morrisons For Me
March 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I do wonder if the followers of "correct" dress have their men wearing full morning dress to the Ascot Ball?

It is the last thing a follower of correct dress would do.

One does not wear morning dress in the evening. There is a clue in the name....

pb82
March 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
She might, but it is academic when your image is too small to read.Miss Manners describes it best:
What she said was: Black Tie
This traditionally meant dinner dresses with sleeves and narrow long skirts, but ladies can go all out for grand black-tie occasions. Gentlemen exhibit their taste by the exquisiteness of their tailoring, rather than by wearing ruffles or funny colors.

zoomerica
March 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM

J

My IT department needs your address to send the bill for the monitor you just destroyed! Rofl.

Great stuff Jimmy!

garigoun
March 12th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Happy days are here again La la lah la lah la lah la LAH la LAH.
Gari

MrandMrsBeee
March 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Morning dress is for daytime true, usually at weddings. Or when one picks up an OBE (assuming one is male!)

However, at Royal Ascot men must be in morning dress and ladies must wear a hat. At least if you are in the Queens enclosure.

I really don't know but I assume the Ascot ball is intended to recreate Royal Ascot. I thought that is why women make the hats. Women don't usually wear hats in the evening. If it is just Ascot in general then jeans would suit.

Here is aceptable dress at Royal Ascot:

Click Here (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/dress_acceptable.html) to view Dress Code images

Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and miniskirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour.

Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat.A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

Children between the ages of 10-16 years inclusive are welcome to attend the Royal Enclosure on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting, providing they are accompanied by a Royal Enclosure badge-holder. Children’s badges are free of charge and can be collected on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting from the Royal Enclosure enquiry offices. It is not necessary to submit a child’s name prior to the Royal Meeting. Girls must wear a modest dress or skirt, boys a suit or jacket and smart trousers with a tie. Jeans and trainers are not permissible.
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.
Ladies and Gentlemen not complying with the above dress regulations will be asked to leave the Royal Enclosure and relieved of their Royal Enclosure badge.
For any further queries please contact the:

Royal Enclosure Office
Ascot Racecourse
Ascot SL5 7JX

Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and miniskirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour.
Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat.A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

Children between the ages of 10-16 years inclusive are welcome to attend the Royal Enclosure on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting, providing they are accompanied by a Royal Enclosure badge-holder. Children’s badges are free of charge and can be collected on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting from the Royal Enclosure enquiry offices. It is not necessary to submit a child’s name prior to the Royal Meeting. Girls must wear a modest dress or skirt, boys a suit or jacket and smart trousers with a tie. Jeans and trainers are not permissible.
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.
Ladies and Gentlemen not complying with the above dress regulations will be asked to leave the Royal Enclosure and relieved of their Royal Enclosure badge.

Royal Enclosure Office
Ascot Racecourse
Ascot SL5 7JX
Telephone: 0870 727 5678 0870 727 5678
Fax: 0870 460 1235
Email: royal.enclosure@ascot.co.uk

Official Ascot Partners

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/../img/img_lgo/aib.gifhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/../img/img_lgo/sonylogo.gifhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/../img/img_lgo/cisco.gif

They don't say it, but I am sure polyester is banned!

I am not for one minute expecting or wanting anyone to dress like this, my point was that maybe those who belive they know what is so called correct should really get off their high horse because if they really want to take it to the extreme they too are "incorrect".

garigoun
March 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Morning dress is for daytime true, usually at weddings. Or when one picks up an OBE (assuming one is male!)

However, at Royal Ascot men must be in morning dress and ladies must wear a hat. At least if you are in the Queens enclosure.

I really don't know but I assume the Ascot ball is intended to recreate Royal Ascot. I thought that is why women make the hats. Women don't usually wear hats in the evening. If it is just Ascot in general then jeans would suit.

Here is aceptable dress at Royal Ascot:

Click Here (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/dress_acceptable.html) to view Dress Code images

Royal Enclosure Office
Ascot Racecourse
Ascot SL5 7JX

They don't say it, but I am sure polyester is banned!

I am not for one minute expecting or wanting anyone to dress like this, my point was that maybe those who belive they know what is so called correct should really get off their high horse because if they really want to take it to the extreme they too are "incorrect".

Pay attention guys, this is good stuff.
Gari

PvTraveler
March 12th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Pity the poor poster who asked a simple question and got a barage of "correctness". Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie ? Since the Cunard ships are truly global, would it also be wrong for an Indian gentleman to wear his formal wear per his culture and not have a bow tie ?

Aubreysshipmate
March 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Another post hijacked by the usual suspects... :rolleyes: Enjoy your cruise wearing whichever colours you decide upon. :D Ignore the fashionistas, Miss Manners, the Royal Ascot Partners and the aforementioned suspects and have fun. Welcome to Cunard cruising omakim. Pity you got both barrels on your first post.

omakim
March 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I agree with you. I was just wondering if Cunard would toss me overboard if I showed up in a rig other than BLACK. I'm taking the black, burgundy, and gray ties, with matching cummerbunds, simply because I want to. At age 76 I don't care if I impress anybody or not.

omakim
March 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks. I am pressing on regardless - in formal rig, a splash of light and color here and there, to gladden one heart anyway - the one who looks back at me from my mirror.

pb82
March 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The point that all you "free Spirits" are missing is that it's fun to dress up on occasion and to pretend to be an adult. And, as mentioned before, the point of gentlemen's formal wear not being colorful is to not distract attention from all the lovely ladies.

Morrisons For Me
March 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie ?

But he would wear a black tie......... If he was being correct about it.

Kilts are fine - on the Scottish (or Irish, of course) but not on those who once ate shortbread.

omakim
March 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
If any guy is looking at me wearing a burgundy tie and cummerbund instead of looking at a "lovely lady." then he wouldn't be looking at a lovely lady no matter what I wore.

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie??

And he wouldn't wear a black tie, why exactly?

We don't all dress like Mel Gibson in Braveheart you know. Personally, I have never yet painted my face for a formal night.

J

PS - what's a "clan kilt"? Can't say I've ever come across one of those.

omakim
March 13th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Ah, truly a classic piece of Gounist philosophical discourse there. Bring it on Big G - we want more :D

J

PS - is it just me, or does MasterChief look a little non-sequiturish?
This was my first posting, and my first question, and I am a retired Navy master chief. I really appreciate all the different answers I'm getting. It's been a long time since I tied a bow tie.

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
This was my first posting, and my first question, and I am a retired Navy master chief. I really appreciate all the different answers I'm getting. It's been a long time since I tied a bow tie.

Respect Omakim - I'm a retired Army Warrant Officer.

I only wondered about MasterChief appearing in the subject line - no worries.

And Hell will freeze over before I tie my first bow tie :D

J

PvTraveler
March 13th, 2010, 02:39 AM
You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it. My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties. Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you. If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

hcrane
March 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I would love to know who "Miss Manners" is and who put her in charge. I wonder if she is a stylist for Vogue? Vogue USA judging by her spelling.

Fashion is constantly changing and as long as people stick to the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter of it I cannot understand why people give a jot.

If nothing ever changed we would still be wearing uncomfortable extravagant clothing that the Elizabethans insisted was correct with huge white ruffles around our necks.

Until the 1880s only white tie and tailcoat was correct. It was not until someone dared to be different that the current dinner jacket and black tie was adopted.

In the 70's men often had huge lapels and frills everywhere.

Young men these days often opt for a long black tie with their DJ.

And so what?

Thank heavens the likes of Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn started wearing trousers when it was thought of as "not correct" for women.

Miss Manners is Judith Martin

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it.

Actually, maam, I don't believe that "I" do act like it, although I will concede that there are others who fit your description

My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties.

A kilt is a kilt is a kilt. It is the tartan that relates to the clan - although, in truth, most tartans are modern inventions dating back no farther than the Victorian era and, as far as clans are concerned, are almost entirely fictitious. Please also bear in mind that the majority of Scotsmen originate, not from Highland Scotland, but from the Lowlands and never belonged to a "clan" in the first place.

Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, at any time would even attempt to deny you that right. Please bear in mind that this board is a strange little corner of cyber-space populated by a tiny, very vocal, highly opinionated, and generally anally-retentive minority of the overall population of Cunard passengers. The interweb tends to attract people like that. Feel free to ignore what you don't like or just hurl your own opinions right back at them - whatever. It's quite fun when you get into the swing of it.

If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

Amen to that.

J

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 03:11 AM
At age 76 I don't care if I impress anybody or not.

Well said, sir. I'll drink to that.

Damnit - I think I woke up in rebellious mode this morning. Better go and have another breakfast!

J

hcrane
March 13th, 2010, 03:15 AM

shades - subject
of black - prepositional phrase
are - verb (had to agree with subject)

How many shades of black are there? There is one.

How many shades of blue are there? There are many.

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
shades - subject

Good 'ere, innit?

J

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM

Morrisons, how unutterably common! I trust you will change your boardname to something a leetle bit more "Cunard" before attending your next Ascot Ball. :eek:

J

Norfolk Brit
March 13th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Morrisons, how unutterably common! I trust you will change your boardname to something a leetle bit more "Cunard" before attending your next Ascot Ball. :eek:
J

Perhaps s/he's not referring to the supermarket, and is a Van-fan?

Sir Martin

Morrisons For Me
March 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
a Van-fan?

More a Rolls Royce or a Bentley man, by choice. But certainly not a white van man.

Morrisons For Me
March 13th, 2010, 06:00 AM

J

I have never attended the Ascot Ball. And neither has my horse.

garigoun
March 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it. My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties. Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you. If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

Do we not have a little dichotomy here? If the man at 76 can wear what he wants when he wants then by the same criterion, the idiot can wear what he wants when he wants. Or is the privilege of wearing what one wants reserved only for those over 75? Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the whole idea of a dress code was to ensure that people came attired in a particular manner otherwise there is no point in having a dress code.
In respect of kilts who was it said, 'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM
'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari

John Master's used that phrase (or it's close equivalent) in his autiobiography "Bugles and a Tiger" but he attributed it to one of his Sandhurst instructors, IIRC, who had said to him words to the effect of "Join a Highland Regiment my boy, the kilt is the best garment in the world for fornication and diarrhoea!"

J

MrandMrsBeee
March 13th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks. I am pressing on regardless - in formal rig, a splash of light and color here and there, to gladden one heart anyway - the one who looks back at me from my mirror.

Sounds fantastic to me, have a great time x.

The Real PM
March 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
shades - subject

The color black is made up of all colors, so therefore, depending on how your particular black is proportioned with those colors, that black will come out quite differently.

So, I must disagree and say-- there are many many shades of black.

And by the way, have you ever tried to match two blacks? Damn near impossible!

Cruachan
March 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I have never attended the Ascot Ball. And neither has my horse.

That's not what I heard!

J

Norfolk Brit
March 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
That's not what I heard!

J

I heard it was a sheep.

Sir Martin

dashiel
March 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The color black is made up of all colors, so therefore, depending on how your particular black is proportioned with those colors, that black will come out quite differently.

shade specifically refers to the addition of black to a hue. using the most strict definition there are no shades of black, but equally true, there is no black and there are no shades of any color outside of the realms of theory.

rm3
March 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM

We are certainly getting away from the question asked by the OP but I think it is interesting that not only can we disagree on what is "acceptable" wear, we can also disagree on the definition of "color" and "black"! To further confuse the issue check this link http://www.colormatters.com/vis_bk_white.html
:)

Morrisons For Me
March 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I heard it was a sheep.

And what would you know about balls? Ascot or otherwise?

Norfolk Brit
March 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
And what would you know about balls? Ascot or otherwise?

I have a very good memory.

Sir Martin:cool:

stowaway2k
March 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Mini-skirt!
http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/45977/2002768630055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2002768630055338351izOEVx)

Ruffled shirt!
http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/37008/2143058540055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2143058540055338351rAZDxy)

Oh no! Bikini inside!
http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/45384/2248817740055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2248817740055338351iFrISa)

Oh my! In the Queen's Room!
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/29867/2538300330055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2538300330055338351CgKAXV)

Hats everywhere! Well... it is "her" ship...
http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/15811/2751077490055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2751077490055338351HITSaF)
http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/46923/2943884770055338351S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2943884770055338351yddblJ)

Morrisons For Me
March 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have a very good memory.

Sir Martin:cool:

And, in that respect, you'd need it.

The Real PM
March 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM
shade specifically refers to the addition of black to a hue. using the most strict definition there are no shades of black, but equally true, there is no black and there are no shades of any color outside of the realms of theory.

I agree, if you are an artist you may use black and a host of other colors to darken most any color.

Now when we are discussing the color of formal clothing for men and the shade or hue or tint or whatever else you would like to call the appearance of men's attire (specifically the bowtie) why on earth, would I be talking about what is inside or outside the realm of theory. With that thought process what would the manufacturer of the silk of the bow ties do when he dyed them? Well, of course, he would look at his little color chart of all the non colors that are outside of the realms of theory and mix them altogether, but who would care--there is no black anyway! It is a figment of our imaginations. So gentlemen, do not wear your cute little black bow ties--self tied or otherwise for if you do, it isn't as proper as you might think--because it is outside the realms of theory-- and not black anyway!

The Real PM
March 13th, 2010, 05:19 PM
shades - subject

Please review the Community Guidelines about Spelling and Grammar Errors. They ask members not to correct the spelling and grammar of others.

Morrisons For Me
March 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Please review the Community Guidelines about Spelling and Grammar Errors. They ask members not to correct the spelling and grammar of others.

Probably a good idea too.

There are some members who could keep a team of pedants occupied full time.

hcrane
March 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Apologies - noted

dashiel
March 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I agree, if you are an artist you may use black and a host of other colors to darken most any color.

Now when we are discussing the color of formal clothing for men and the shade or hue or tint or whatever else you would like to call the appearance of men's attire (specifically the bowtie) why on earth, would I be talking about what is inside or outside the realm of theory. With that thought process what would the manufacturer of the silk of the bow ties do when he dyed them? Well, of course, he would look at his little color chart of all the non colors that are outside of the realms of theory and mix them altogether, but who would care--there is no black anyway! It is a figment of our imaginations. So gentlemen, do not wear your cute little black bow ties--self tied or otherwise for if you do, it isn't as proper as you might think--because it is outside the realms of theory-- and not black anyway!

you were being pedantic - it seems to be what passes for entertainment here. i simply took the topic to its logical conclusion to show the absurdity of your nitpicking, but i see by your response you dwell in the realm of the absurd.

tl;dr there are no shades of black.

The Real PM
March 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
you were being pedantic - it seems to be what passes for entertainment here. i simply took the topic to its logical conclusion to show the absurdity of your nitpicking, but i see by your response you dwell in the realm of the absurd.

tl;dr there are no shades of black.
Thank you, I have never dwelled there before. Sounds like fun~:)

omakim
March 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Do we not have a little dichotomy here? If the man at 76 can wear what he wants when he wants then by the same criterion, the idiot can wear what he wants when he wants. Or is the privilege of wearing what one wants reserved only for those over 75? Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the whole idea of a dress code was to ensure that people came attired in a particular manner otherwise there is no point in having a dress code.
In respect of kilts who was it said, 'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari
For my first thread on my first day on this forum I asked what I thought was a simple question: "For black tie events, are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?" Rather than a simple yes or no - with associated comment from experienced travelers - all I've seen so far are opinions, some of which border on the defamation of a free person's character, not to mention arguments concerning whether black is really black or not. Great Scott!

Of course being 76 doesn't give me any more rights than the next guy, but I do know when I was younger I did try to impress everybody. Those days are long gone. For me, anyway.

You've answered my question: It is yes. Will I wear burgandy and gray, in addition to black? Again, yes.

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 07:26 AM
You've answered my question: It is yes. Will I wear burgandy and gray, in addition to black? Again, yes.

It is permitted, in the sense that you will not be thrown overboard. You may prefer to say that it is not unlawful.

It is not permitted if you follow the rules set out for Gentlemen. Save in the context of a wager between The Brotherhood.

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM
It is not permitted if you follow the rules set out for Gentlemen. Save in the context of a wager between The Brotherhood.

Brother Morrisons, may I respectfully remind you that mention of, discussion of, or reference to any matter pertaining to, germain to, or involving any member of, the AHOBTC in a public forum, newsgroup, discussion board, social networking site, or in any of the broadcast or print media, is punishable by being cast into the outer darkness in an anatomical state closely resembling that which the unfortunate Sir Martin currently finds himself suffering.

Brother J

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Brother Morrisons, may I respectfully remind you that mention of, discussion of, or reference to any matter pertaining to, germain to, or involving any member of, the AHOBTC in a public forum, newsgroup, discussion board, social networking site, or in any of the broadcast or print media, is punishable by being cast into the outer darkness in an anatomical state closely resembling that which the unfortunate Sir Martin currently finds himself suffering.

Brother J

I'll have company then! Nice to meet a fellow offender......

pnhnrk
March 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Brother J

What are you talking about?:D

Peace and love, Nalcolmxxx

The Real PM
March 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
For my first thread on my first day on this forum I asked what I thought was a simple question: "For black tie events, are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?" Rather than a simple yes or no - with associated comment from experienced travelers - all I've seen so far are opinions, some of which border on the defamation of a free person's character, not to mention arguments concerning whether black is really black or not. Great Scott!

Of course, being 76 doesn't give me any more rights than the next guy, but I do know when I was younger I did try to impress everybody. Those days are long gone. For me, anyway.

Hello Omakim,

It seems cummerbunds and bow ties always bring out the best of this board. A simple yes or no answer would not have been nearly as interesting, I would suspect--even if some of the posts have come from some of us, as said, who are bordering on dwelling in the realm of absurdity.

I hope you decide to stick around and ask more questions or even try to impress us with some of your answers containing all the wisdom of your 76 years.:)

Gail
PS Many on this board are not too much your junior, but still try to impress-- or in some cases they really do impress!

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hello Omakim,

It seems cummerbunds and bow ties always bring out the best of this board. A simple yes or no answer would not have been nearly as interesting, I would suspect--even if some of the posts have come from some of us, as said, who are bordering on dwelling in the realm of absurdity.

I hope you decide to stick around and ask more questions or even try to impress us with some of your answers containing all the wisdom of your 76 years.:)

Gail
PS Many on this board are not too much your junior, but still try to impress-- or in some cases they really do impress!
Thanks. Oh I know I'll be a youngster compared to some, if not many. It's just that it's my first trip on an ocean liner and I'm looking forward to having a whole lot of fun at the same time being courteous and respectable. I know I'll find a lot of good people who are friendly and not judgmental. By the way, "judgmental" is the way we Americans spell the word. I assume I'll get blasted for that too. Pressing on regardless.

heywood
March 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks. Oh I know I'll be a youngster compared to some, if not many. It's just that it's my first trip on an ocean liner and I'm looking forward to having a whole lot of fun at the same time being courteous and respectable. I know I'll find a lot of good people who are friendly and not judgmental. By the way, "judgmental" is the way we Americans spell the word. I assume I'll get blasted for that too. Pressing on regardless.

You are very astute- get in first before the criticism :D
I hope you have a wonderful time- we do ;)

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
It is permitted, in the sense that you will not be thrown overboard. You may prefer to say that it is not unlawful.

The Brotherhood? The only brotherhood I hold dear is for those of us who've come under fire in a combat zone.

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
By the way, "judgmental" is the way we Americans spell the word. I assume I'll get blasted for that too. Pressing on regardless.

Don't worry. We have long since learned that Americans can't speak or write English, preferring some strange dialect of their own.

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM
The Brotherhood? The only brotherhood I hold dear is for those of us who've come under fire in a combat zone.

Interesting way of describing Cruise Critic. But understandable, none the less.

jax
March 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Don't worry. We have long since learned that Americans can't speak or write English, preferring some strange dialect of their own.

A gentleman is a man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Well - that's you and me then, can't speak for the rest of the membership.

Sir Martin is missing some crucial body parts, but I don't think they were shot off.

:D:D

J

The Real PM
March 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Oh I am certain you will find lots of good people who are friendly and not judgmental at all, actually a great deal less judgmental than you will find on this board. These are the ocean liner purists here, for the most part, at least that is how I would describe them. But they are good people too, just a little staid in their opinions about what should and should not take place aboard a a Cunard ship.

You have chosen a wonderful line and I am sure you will enjoy the ship greatly. I take it you are traveling (another American spelling) on the QM2. And if you are, you will find she is a lovely, lovely ship. Have a magnificent time.:)

Gail

Norfolk Brit
March 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Sir Martin is missing some crucial body parts, but I don't think they were shot off.
J

But you told me that missing body parts were an essential qualification for joining the Brotherhood, and I soooo wanted to join.

OMG, you weren't telling fibs were you:eek:?

Brother(?) Sir Martin

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
But you told me that missing body parts were an essential qualification for joining the Brotherhood, and I soooo wanted to join.

Brother(?) Sir Martin

No Brother Martin - I never lie!!

Hee hee hee.

J

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Our discussion has drifted far from the tie/cummerbund question I asked, but it's fun to share, so I'll ask: Wasn't Mark Twain accepted outside our savage soil?

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Our discussion has drifted far from the tie/cummerbund question I asked, but it's fun to share, so I'll ask: Wasn't Mark Twain accepted outside our savage soil?

OK, one of the things you'll find a lot around here is a little cyber-artefact known as "thread drift". It's common on all message boards. As a general rule of thumb, you will find that your question tends to be answered within the first 10 posts. If it isn't it generally means that nobody knows the answer. Posts after #10 tend to have a relationship to the original question that is, at best, tenuous. Once you are out into the dark and freakish no-mans-land beyond about #50 things become, to be flattering, totally bizarre.

Mark Twain is a highly regarded author on the right hand side of the Atlantic, even in our present, semi-literate, times.

J

zoomerica
March 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
So then what color clip on bowtie goes with the White Dinner Jacket? Are epaulets in bad taste? :eek:

Also, are polka dot dinner suits passé or can I break mine out?

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
So then what color clip on bowtie goes with the White Dinner Jacket? Are epaulets in bad taste? :eek:

Also, are polka dot dinner suits passé or can I break mine out?

Did you ever hear the one about the Englishman, the Scotsman, The Irishman, and the hamster?

J

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
A gentleman is a man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

And an English Gentleman knows to make an exception for Americans.

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Mark Twain is a highly regarded author on the right hand side of the Atlantic, even in our present, semi-literate, times.

J

Indeed. We read him in translation.

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
OK, one of the things you'll find a lot around here is a little cyber-artefact known as "thread drift". It's common on all message boards. As a general rule of thumb, you will find that your question tends to be answered within the first 10 posts. If it isn't it generally means that nobody knows the answer. Posts after #10 tend to have a relationship to the original question that is, at best, tenuous. Once you are out into the dark and freakish no-mans-land beyond about #50 things become, to be flattering, totally bizarre.

J
Mr Cruachen, and to whoever reads this, and those who have weighed in with comments and advice: I did not know I would get so much out of a single "thread." I have learned a lot. So many opinions and ideas! A heck of a lot of fun, believe me, no matter how smart-alecky I get sometimes. I apologize for that. I am happy to be a member of Cruise Critic. As some already know, I'll be sailing on QM2 in May, my first trip on an ocean liner. Looks like I picked the best cruise line in the world, with the best folks to share the fair winds and following seas.

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Indeed. We read him in translation.
You're a riot.

NomDePlume
March 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Mr Cruachen, and to whoever reads this, and those who have weighed in with comments and advice: I did not know I would get so much out of a single "thread." I have learned a lot. So many opinions and ideas! A heck of a lot of fun, believe me, no matter how smart-alecky I get sometimes. I apologize for that. I am happy to be a member of Cruise Critic. As some already know, I'll be sailing on QM2 in May, my first trip on an ocean liner. Looks like I picked the best cruise line in the world, with the best folks to share the fair winds and following seas.

Please don't. We can certainly use more of that smart thingey stuff over here :rolleyes:

P.S. Howdy, neighbor/neighbour

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
You're a riot.

Wait till he really gets going. He could start a row in an empty house :D

J

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Please don't. We can certainly use more of that smart thingey stuff over here :rolleyes:

Seconded, thirded and fourthededed. It's the life-blood of the board.

J

Norfolk Brit
March 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM

J

And fifthded. We've even nearly got NomDePlume spelling 'neighbour' properly:D.

Mary

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
You're a riot.

I try my best..... ;)

NomDePlume
March 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
And fifthded. We've even nearly got NomDePlume spelling 'neighbour' properly:D.

Mary

HEY! I did too!!! :mad:

omakim
March 14th, 2010, 03:30 PM

J
OK, you asked for it. I'm licking my chops........

NomDePlume
March 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Throw him a bone, marTi...

The Real PM
March 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Indeed, I believe you have found your niche. Welcome aboard.

And I believe you have already met Gari. It could be you may make a formidable opponent for him. Have fun!

patwell
March 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Brother(?) Sir Martin

Oh dear, heaven forgive me, but I am really going to like saying this....

It is just those missing parts that have disqualified you from the Brotherhood!! HEHEHEHE!!!! :D:p Out foxed by Brother Cruachan...what an absolutely brilliant day this turned out to be. As we say here in the deep south of the colonies, you been snookered bubba!! :eek:

Oh my, that was just too delicious to pass up!!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

patwell
March 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Then do join in and please enjoy yourself....that's a prerequisite. We welcome slightly warped humor. Nice to have you amongst us.

You're going to love QM2....as the originator of claw marks in the carpet left when being dragged off repeatedly, I can assure you of that.

Oh, and by the way, a napkin works better for cleaning those chops...;)

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Norfolk Brit
March 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
We welcome slightly warped humor.

Slightly warped!!!???

Sir Martin

patwell
March 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Slightly warped!!!???

Sir Martin

I'm being polite...:rolleyes: He's new.

I wonder if he's realized that you're a megalomanic CAT.:eek:

Cheers, Penny

]Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053[/COLOR]

Norfolk Brit
March 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I'm being polite

First time for everything, I suppose:D.

Sir Martin

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Cool - we can start another black pudding thread shortly :D

J

pb82
March 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Our discussion has drifted far from the tie/cummerbund question I asked, but it's fun to share, so I'll ask: Wasn't Mark Twain accepted outside our savage soil?Yes, and (back on topic!) Mark Twain had interesting opinions about what to wear. Here are a couple of examples.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

You see, when a man gets to be 71, as I am, the world begins to look somber and dark. I believe we should do all we can to brighten things up and make ourselves look cheerful. You can't do that by wearing black, funereal clothes.

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, and (back on topic!) Mark Twain had interesting opinions about what to wear. Here are a couple of examples.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

You see, when a man gets to be 71, as I am, the world begins to look somber and dark. I believe we should do all we can to brighten things up and make ourselves look cheerful. You can't do that by wearing black, funereal clothes.

Sebastian and Mark T didn't see eye to eye then? :D

J

pb82
March 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Sebastian and Mark T didn't see eye to eye then? :D

JNonsense, Mark Twain also said "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course." And Sebastian always purrs during photo ops.

jax
March 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
And an English Gentleman knows to make an exception for Americans.

Still feeling a bit peckish about lost of Empire, I see. And then having to play lapdog to all those unappreciative and truly ignorant Colonials. John Bull we feel your pain. "When can their glory fade..all the world wonder'd."

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Nonsense, Mark Twain also said "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course." And Sebastian always purrs during photo ops.

You're pushing an open door here, I defer to no one in my love of cats.

I was just referring to S's rather fetching formal night outfit in your avatar. He seems to favour the more traditional black approach. He bears a staggering resemblence to Lord Stanley when seen from the front although I know that they are actually very different.

J

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Still feeling a bit peckish about lost of Empire, I see.

Nonsense! We still have the Falklands!

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Nonsense, Mark Twain also said "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course." And Sebastian always purrs during photo ops.

The only good cat is a dead cat.

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM

And Rockall (I think!?)

J

NomDePlume
March 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
So, where is Marti? Asleep on the job again???

Morrisons For Me
March 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Marti? On the job?

He's not equipped for it.

pb82
March 14th, 2010, 05:14 PM
You're pushing an open door here, I defer to no one in my love of cats. ...
JWhen a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction. Mark Twain

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Lord Stanley and Sir Martin desire me to commend to you the thoroughly amusing tome "Cat's Revenge : More Than 101 Uses for Dead People" by Philip Lief. By one of those rather bizarre coincidences that come up now and again, a copy can be obtained from Zarak Books, Norwich, UK (the address is not a joke - you can draw your own conclusions).

J

jax
March 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash.
That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. Mark Twain

Norfolk Brit
March 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Hiding from Morrisons For Me, in case I end up on the deli counter:eek:.

Sir Martin

Cruachan
March 14th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Sir Martin

Well, they don't call it the delicatessen for nothing.

J

jax
March 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM

"Morrisons for Me," you gave as good as you got this afternoon. What an entertaining way to spend a boring afternoon arguing inconsequential things as if these "old grey cells" could function as they once use too. Bravo! and your Falklands islands are an attribute to the Empire. I've been there and they are wondrous and charming.

garigoun
March 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Apparently that's all Sir Martin CAN lick.
The Late Arriving Gari

patwell
March 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM

Sir Martin

I thought that had been tried already...and unfortunately failed...:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny