PDA

View Full Version : Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly
April 4th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

Vanessa L
April 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Definitely sounds like a question for your TA or PVP (depending on how you booked) or a call to the 800# if you booked online yourself. I don't know that the experts here could give you a definitive answer on that one, but the cruise line or TA could. Good luck.

kelz66
April 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

really??? why are you asking such a question here?

It al depends on his parole terms and conditions.

You would have better luck calling the propper authorities or even googling to get the correct information, than you will have here with all the "expert advice" you are about to get.

:rolleyes:

ssatterly
April 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM
really??? why are you asking such a question here?

It al depends on his parole terms and conditions.

You would have better luck calling the propper authorities or even googling to get the correct information, than you will have here with all the "expert advice" you are about to get.

He won't be on parole he wil have served his entire sentence of over a year.

Kurbanfan
April 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.getsmileyface.com/sm/crazy/146.gif

Nunu
April 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
What's he in for? :confused:

Kurbanfan
April 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Sharing a soda card:D

elkaholic
April 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't think a felony would prevent it per se, and I don't think details are needed. I guess there may be some felonies that would prevent travel into certain countries. However, if he is released on parole he may have his travel restricted, and there may be other restrictions/requirements he has upon release.

Tammylyne
April 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I would also check the countries you are visiting..I know some countries will not allow you entrance if you have a felony conviction..Canada is pretty strict on this there are a few other countries but I am not sure of which ones

kelz66
April 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM
He won't be on parole he wil have served his entire sentence of over a year.

probation? anything that will restrict his ability to travel?

A lawyer from your state would be a more reliable source of info.

As for Carnival, or any other cruiseline, I am not aware of anyway they would know the information, unless they were on a prohibited from travel list, he may have to stay onboard in some countries.

If people have money and the needed travel documents, I'm pretty sure they do not care. If they are allowed to travel they will probably take the money.

You need to talk to someone from the state he is in.

Ceece911
April 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
If he is FULLY in the clear, then yes. We had a few family members in this situation who recently went on a cruise. All went well.

kelz66
April 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
geez...did a quick search and found the same question asked on "Yahoo answers"...the internet is a magical place.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216184318AAZIx5q

jks336
April 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks

your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport. but even though the cruise can be closed loop, their may be issue's with customs. so again, first stop is the legal end.. his probabtion then the courts. then find out what carnival's policy is. if he is just someone whos done jail time, then he can travel. again, its the terminology of his crime.

bplazo
April 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
It may depend on his crime. Some felons are not allowed near a school.

Vanessa L
April 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport....

You are wrong. A felon can get a passport in the US.

catne
April 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Did ya'll happen to notice that OP posted about 20 minutes ago that there is NO probation involved since step-son will have served entire sentence? There will not be any probation officer involved in this situation and there are no limits on travel within the US, except for the exceptions regarding convicted sex offenders.

OP, you need to check with Carnival and also inquire about the various ports of call to see if he will be welcome. It will be other countries' policies that you will need to be concerned about.

Vanessa L
April 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Did ya'll happen to notice that OP posted about 20 minutes ago that there is NO probation involved since step-son will have served entire sentence? There will not be any probation officer involved in this situation and there are no limits on travel within the US, except for the exceptions regarding convicted sex offenders.

OP, you need to check with Carnival and also inquire about the various ports of call to see if he will be welcome. It will be other countries' policies that you will need to be concerned about.

I'm thinking the State Department might also be a good starting point ;)

md10074
April 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
A relative on my husband's side is a felon for drug possession and I'm sure selling it too, and he was able to go on several cruises. He's been out for over 5 years though, not sure if it makes a difference. I don't know much more than that because we don't really speak to him.

Kurbanfan
April 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
He was big enough to get convicted of a felon.......then he is big enough to get this info himself.......

Ken076
April 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks

Step-son would be added to your cabin at the current 3rd/4th person rate when you add him. The problems with adding someone later include: your cabin may not accommodate 3 PAX in which case you'd have to switch cabins (which might not be available), and the ship may be over capacity (and you may not be able to add even if you have a 3 or 4 PAX cabin).

Carnival doesn't care about Criminal record. If he's not on Parole and has no warrants and has proper travel documentation (does/can he have a Drivers License - some states take them from felons). Getting into Canada via Canadian Immigration would be a problem.

ken

mysh442olds
April 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM

smuggling booze

LHP
April 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Not sure which cruise you are looking at....but it is my understanding that he will not be allowed into Canada.

We have several couples on our cruise out of New York that had some minor infractions on their record and they were denied entrance into the Canadian ports...

realmccoy
April 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
The regulations vary by State whether or not someone on Parobation/ Parole may travel. Just because they serve their "entire" sentence...does not mean that they will not be on Probation/ Parole. It depends by state, so before you book be 100% sure he will not be on any terms and conditions of Probation/ Parole...because if he is, he will not be allowed to travel outside the US. Felons may travel outside the US and can obtain passports. Many Countries have restrictions on felon's, even previous felon's, traveling into their Country. However, on a cruise, they would not know unless he was stopped and got in trouble some how.

belkin
April 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have a friend who has a felony drug conviction. He recently got a passport and went on a Carnival Cruise 3 months ago. The ship went to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. He had no problems getting a passport, or traveling on any of the islands. Good Luck

Firefighterhoop
April 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I know its none of our buisness what he did in the past, so Im not going to ask, but as far as being a felon goes, there is a wide range of the infractions of the law he could have done; anyway;

1) If he is on probation, make sure he is not violating terms, his PO will also be able to get you resources as far as making sure he is allowed in certain countries IF that were to be an issue (That I haven't heard of)

2) Make sure that nothing he will do on his cruise would violate the probation

3) As far as cruiselines themselves, I haven't heard of them not allowing people that have comitted felonies to board.

Good Luck, just make sure you do follow up with his PO first before you go, you would hate to make the situation worse by doing something to violate terms, and Hopefully everything works out OK and he can go!

Nunu
April 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
We're very careful up here who we choose to allow in. Sorry for making you guys suffer with Celine Dion.

Vanessa L
April 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
We're very careful up here who we choose to allow in. Sorry for making you guys suffer with Celine Dion.

Your apology is accepted. Now knock it off!!!

BC Todd
April 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You said it Nunu...and our friends south of the border should send Sidney Crosby home...:D

caracol
April 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM
You said it Nunu...and our friends south of the border should send Sidney Crosby home...:D

In fairness, if you send Sid back, we'll let you keep Celine AND Keanu!

waldocruiser1
April 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Only if they are working,

tiggerman101
April 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
....and with this thread she is indeed back on our message board.....

Folks, we can expect a lot more where this came from.

JimA49085
April 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Wearing a snuggy. :D

Purrfect
April 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Is this a serious question? If so, why in the world would you hang out with and pay for a felon? Family or not, I would never.

I'm sure his lawyer, the courts, the local police department or the 1-800 number would be more useful to get information from.

Sherrybaby412
April 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Smuggling booze under his snuggie. :p

Then he used his snuggle to save 3 chairs while he bought his underage child a drink.

deborahjo
April 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Wearing a snuggy. :D

Hey I resemble that remark.......

Sherrybaby412
April 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Is this a serious question? If so, why in the world would you hang out with and pay for a felon? Family or not, I would never.

I'm sure his lawyer, the courts, the local police department or the 1-800 number would be more useful to get information from.

I feel the same way. I tried to get my family to uninvite Aunt Martha last Thanksgiving to no avail.

http://hunternuttall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/martha-stewart.jpg

airhead22
April 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Thlis thread should boost Carnivals reputation!!

ssatterly
April 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Family is family...And everyone makes mistakes...We will not turn our back on family...but with that said we have not made a decision to take him for sure or not....We are just looking into the possiblity's

Kurbanfan
April 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Family is family...And everyone makes mistakes...We will not turn our back on family...but with that said we have not made a decision to take him for sure or not....We are just looking into the possiblity's

Even if his name is Ted Bundy:confused:

Fourseventeen
April 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Easy answer to an odd question :cool:

YES he can travel as long as he is not on parole or probation. And even if he was the only thing that would prevent him would be his terms with the probation or parole officer...which in 99.9% of the cases would not allow him to leave the state or county in which he resides. Just because he isnt a felong doesnt exclude him from traveling. If he is a sex offended that may prevent him from traveling also...but again that all depends on his terms of release. If he is free and clear...all his time has been served, he has no outstanding warrants and no terms of parole or probation then it sounds like he will be going on a cruise.
I do work in Law Enforcement so I am sure these answers are correct :D

As far as the price to add him to your cabin...that you would need to take up with your travel agent or with carnival if you booked through their website. its typically much less then the cost of the first 2 people in the cabin.

glrounds
April 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM

In fairness, if you send Sid back, we'll let you keep Celine AND Keanu!

I guess Alex Trebek and Pamella Anderson aren't bargaining chips ! ! :D

Sherrybaby412
April 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I guess Alex Trebek and Pamella Anderson aren't bargaining chips ! ! :D

Does Pamela count twice? :confused:

ssatterly
April 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Easy answer to an odd question :cool:

YES he can travel as long as he is not on parole or probation. And even if he was the only thing that would prevent him would be his terms with the probation or parole officer...which in 99.9% of the cases would not allow him to leave the state or county in which he resides. Just because he isnt a felong doesnt exclude him from traveling. If he is a sex offended that may prevent him from traveling also...but again that all depends on his terms of release. If he is free and clear...all his time has been served, he has no outstanding warrants and no terms of parole or probation then it sounds like he will be going on a cruise.
I do work in Law Enforcement so I am sure these answers are correct :D

As far as the price to add him to your cabin...that you would need to take up with your travel agent or with carnival if you booked through their website. its typically much less then the cost of the first 2 people in the cabin.

Thank you.. We plan to wait to add him till nwe know more for sure...If we add him at all..Is up in the air right now....

helicopter
April 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I am shocked by one of the remarks by a poster (why would you take a felon). Are you kidding me - a felony can be anything from a check over a certain amount to a murder. You don't know what this person did. I believe he's in jail, so obviously he got caught and maybe learned something from it. There is in fact a professor in a college in this country who is a convicted Felon, seen the news. People are awfully judgemental. I sometimes wonder if it were their child might they be a little more willing to give another chance:eek: Many people in this country who went on to be very successful are actually "convicted felons". I think the reason people get stuck on the word "FELON" so much is the news always says "Convicted Felon" without stating the range of crimes that fall under what might have somebody convicted has a FELON.

Fourseventeen
April 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Well if your sure he wont be on parole, probation or has to register as a sex offender then he should be good to go without any issues. And if he has been locked up a while I am sure he could use a vacation. Everyone makes mistakes...I can understand that. Its the people who keep making the same mistakes that get under my skin. I obviously see people in trouble every day and I see that some truely realize they messed up and they do what it takes to fix their life while others truely dont give 2 sh*ts and keep repeating their crimes. If he has learned from his mistakes...take him! He will enjoy it.

People need to understand...everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect! Here in AZ its a felony to have any amount of marijuana...and I do mean ANY amount. There are other small crimes that can make you a felon. Im sure if he did something real bad he wouldnt be getting out with such a small amount of time behind bars.

ssatterly
April 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I am shocked by one of the remarks by a poster (why would you take a felon). Are you kidding me - a felony can be anything from a check over a certain amount to a murder. You don't know what this person did. I believe he's in jail, so obviously he got caught and maybe learned something from it. There is in fact a professor in a college in this country who is a convicted Felon, seen the news. People are awfully judgemental. I sometimes wonder if it were their child might they be a little more willing to give another chance:eek: Many people in this country who went on to be very successful are actually "convicted felons". I think the reason people get stuck on the word "FELON" so much is the news always says "Convicted Felon" without stating the range of crimes that fall under what might have somebody convicted has a FELON.

Thank you for that post... That is so true....I wish more people felt and thought this way.

CeleBrat
April 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks

Um...why wouldn't they be allowed to? There isn't a little box you have to check on a form anywhere that asks you to admit that you are a felon before taking a cruise.

As a matter of fact, I bet there just might be a felon on almost every cruise out there (as a passenger).

CeleBrat

extcat
April 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
edit

Fourseventeen
April 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
As a matter of fact, I bet there just might be a felon on almost every cruise out there (as a passenger).

CeleBrat

Id bet a months pay that there IS at least a handful of felons on every cruise I have been on and will ever go on. Big deal. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes and have grown up and moved on.

Next subject!:eek:

Kurbanfan
April 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM

I believe the remark was "Why would you pay for a felon";)

ManyMore
April 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
If he has not restrictions then there are no restrictions. They don't check your record if you travel and if he is already free and clear then there is no issue.

helicopter
April 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
The remark was, why would you hang out with or pay for. But, to answer the question, yes a convicted felon can cruise.

nbsjcruiser
April 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I would also check the countries you are visiting..I know some countries will not allow you entrance if you have a felony conviction..Canada is pretty strict on this there are a few other countries but I am not sure of which ones

Canada and the US have the same rules with respect to felons. Felons from the US can't get into Canada and felons from Canada and other countries are likewise barred from the US.

wingnt68
April 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, you can cruise with a criminal record.

JimA49085
April 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe Steveaaaaa could do a poll or two on this subject?

SnglCruiser
April 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

foureyedbuzzard
April 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM

ROFLMAO - TY for the chuckle.

lillian marie
April 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'd have the man talk to his pre-release counselor at the correctional unit or prison that he is in or with his attorney before you book a cruise for him. Prisons also have law libraries and he could research this there too. Have him check if it is allowable for him after his release. He may still be on probation depending on state law even though he served his full sentence.

da1425
April 4th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Have some respect for the other passengers on the ship and leave him at home.

cruzer452
April 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport. but even though the cruise can be closed loop, their may be issue's with customs. so again, first stop is the legal end.. his probabtion then the courts. then find out what carnival's policy is. if he is just someone whos done jail time, then he can travel. again, its the terminology of his crime.

Felons can have passports and travel as I have a friend that was in prison in CA and is a felon with a passport. They have traveled to mexico without any problems but was turned away at the boarder for Canada. So it will depend on the country. As the person posted they are done with thier sentence so they are a felon but do not owe any time. Travel away, just be aware of the laws of where you are going. :D

Tammylyne
April 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

What state is this in?? I know in NJ and Illinois, florida ect.. driving while on suspension is a misdemeanor..unless aggravating circumstances such as drunk driving or hit and run ect or multiple offenses..

A misdemeanor is different from a felony...Not being a wise guy just curious as to what state would impose such a harsh sentence as to call DWLS a felony??

SnglCruiser
April 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM

*Deleted* I will pray for you.

SnglCruiser
April 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
What state is this in?? I know in NJ and Illinois, florida ect.. driving while on suspension is a misdemeanor..unless aggravating circumstances such as drunk driving or hit and run ect or multiple offenses..

A misdemeanor is different from a felony...Not being a wise guy just curious as to what state would impose such a harsh sentence as to call DWLS a felony??

He was in Florida. It was a third degree felony because (1) the length of time that his license had been suspended and (2) he didn't have insurance. He was entered into a pre-trial diversion program for first time offenders where he was required to successfully complete a year of probation and then his record was expunged.

dan40
April 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Thanks

My guess is that this is a question to be answered IN WRITING by ICE, Homeland Security and/or the authorities in charge of his imprisonment.

Fourseventeen
April 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hmmm. Well I work in AZ and I have never heard of a punishment that stiff for driving without a license UNLESS he was DUI/DWI while driving without a license and insurance. Hopefully he has grown up now though and has learned to take care of his OWN issues such as making sure he has insurance and a license and making sure he can travel :D

dan40
April 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM

And he only got a year?? Damn lenient courts!:mad::rolleyes:

parrotthead
April 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Thanks
Being a Felon does not disqualify him from going on a cruise. But if he gets out and is on Probation, it will definatly depend on the terms of his probation. He would (I assume) have to clear it with his probation officer...and newly out of Prison, my bet is leaving the country will not be an option. I do personally know a few people who have (old) Felony Convictions, (who are long since out of jail/prison and long since finished with probation, restutaion, etc...Im talking about white collar crimes) who have cruised.
So, my (longwinded) point is..Yes, a Felon CAN cruise, (and get a passport), but depending on his crime and the degree of the felony, it may depend on how long till he can cruise...

Igerster
April 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I can speak from experience on this one. On my last cruise my friend with me, his was in prison for a felony. I called about his passport, and asked if a felon could get one. I was told he could as long as he wasn't on parole or anything he could. Carnival has no rules about this, they don't do background checks on their passengers. As long as your step-son can get a passport he should be fine. I hope this helps.

parrotthead
April 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I know of 2 of my friends that have gotton passports and gone on the same cruises as us...-this has been within the last year..
(but like I mentioned in my last post) , these were white collar crimes and both people have been off probation for Years--dont know if the degree of felony or how old it is makes a difference. I do know one of my friends (who I knew while she was finishing up her last years of probation) was only allowed to travel if she notifed adn got approval from her Pabation Officer. (but that was not out of the country)
But, since then she has cruised.

parrotthead
April 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I can speak from experience on this one. On my last cruise my friend with me, his was in prison for a felony. I called about his passport, and asked if a felon could get one. I was told he could as long as he wasn't on parole or anything he could. Carnival has no rules about this, they don't do background checks on their passengers. As long as your step-son can get a passport he should be fine. I hope this helps.
Yes, only OP stated that he is still in prison now. So there will probably be some probation when he is released.
She should talk to his lawer.
Our answer of Yes, he Can cruise, many of us know people who have, but she will need to find out about his individule situation.
Just my suggestion.

jessemon
April 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
geez...did a quick search and found the same question asked on "Yahoo answers"...the internet is a magical place.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216184318AAZIx5q

The internet is an amazing tool....isn't it.....;)
I would imagine calling Carnival is an amazing way to find this out too....:cool:

SnglCruiser
April 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hopefully he has grown up now though and has learned to take care of his OWN issues such as making sure he has insurance and a license and making sure he can travel :D

He has. He is now 25, with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, and is an investigator for the state's attorney's office in Florida. He and his wife and their two children cruise twice a year.

Lizzzie35
April 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Take him back... please! I beg of you...

pinkjszt
April 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by BC Todd http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23873508#post23873508)
You said it Nunu...and our friends south of the border should send Sidney Crosby home...

We love Sid. :-)

fourwaystreet
April 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
How stupid is that comment?? If he completed his sentence and thus his debt to society he should be free to travel unless his travel is restricted by a court order as part of his release.

parrotthead
April 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison.....

He is still in ...he gets out in August...

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 12:21 AM

That is not a felony conviction........

Fourseventeen
April 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
That is not a felony conviction........

If its a 3rd offense for doing this in Florida...it is a Felony. BUT the OP states it was his first offense??? Somethings not adding up here. :confused:

But whatever...maybe he isnt telling her the whole story which in turn isnt going to make the OP look to good.

Perfect Stranger
April 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
You just never know who is going to be on a ship....so why do some parents leave their young kids unattended?

Trplnckl
April 5th, 2010, 09:05 AM
He was big enough to get convicted of a felon.......then he is big enough to get this info himself.......
This is the OPs step son, I think that gives them the right to get info for them.

Way to go, throw anyone under the bus for making a mistake and then paying for that mistake. I am so thankful you are not part of my family.
Yes, only OP stated that he is still in prison now. So there will probably be some probation when he is released.

The OP also said he will have served his FULL sentence, that would indicate there will be no probation.

Trplnckl
April 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
How stupid is that comment?? If he completed his sentence and thus his debt to society he should be free to travel unless his travel is restricted by a court order as part of his release.
Fourway, that (the one you quoted) was the most stupid, of many.

ib4cruzn
April 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Try :

http://www.thelaw.com/forums/

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM

lmao!!!!

babyher
April 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Excellent point.

My brother in law got into a very similar scrape a few years back and had to pay the price .

He isn't a mad dog killer or a child molesting crack addict.

I should have nothing to do with a 45 year old guy who was stupid 25 years ago over a moter vehicle offense.

These holier than thou people renmind me of one of those Judeg shows one time

The case involved the familes of an engaged couple I forget what the incident was.

The brides mother, trying to compose herself before telling her story explained to the judge

"This is all the groom's families fault. His family has several members who have been arrested and gone to court, and went to jail.....NO ONE in my family has ever been arrested ...NO ONE is my family has ever gone to jail..NO ONE in my family has ever had to go to court... this is terribly unnerveing for me.

The judge looked at her and said "Thats because NO ONE in your family ever got caught" *LOL* That shut her up pretty quick :)

cusyl
April 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
IMHO, he made a dumb mistake as a young man, paid the price and is probably going to be an upstanding citizen now. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to live a normal life like anyone else. Other than Canada, he should be able to travel anywhere.

da1425
April 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Why would your brother drive without insurance? That's so stupid. What if he got in an accident that took another persons life? What about if he drove off the road and struck someone's house or property? Without insurance, is he going to be able to pay for the damages he's caused?

He should have his licence suspended and he should be arrested if he's driving after it was. It sounds like everything that has happened is his fault.

1) not obtaining car insurance
2) not notifying the DMV of his current address
3) driving with improper equipment on his vehicle
4) driving while his licence is suspended

Hopefully he's smartened up during his time in the pokey.

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Why would your brother drive without insurance? That's so stupid. What if he got in an accident that took another persons life? What about if he drove off the road and struck someone's house or property? Without insurance, is he going to be able to pay for the damages he's caused?

He should have his licence suspended and he should be arrested if he's driving after it was. It sounds like everything that has happened is his fault.

1) not obtaining car insurance
2) not notifying the DMV of his current address
3) driving with improper equipment on his vehicle
4) driving while his licence is suspended

Hopefully he's smartened up during his time in the pokey.

If you had read the post, the OP said that he NEVER got the letter and that he didnt know.. as an insurance agent for the past 13 years, i can attest that soo many people are UNAWARE they are driving without insurance.. they are not bad people.. things happen, mail gets lost, mail doesnt fwd if you move sometimes.. checks dont get in in time... its not a HUGE deal.. you dont know how many people i see on a daily basis sit accross from me.. goood UPSTANDING people, mistakes happen, were only human.. calm down

LeGerri
April 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM

LOL you made my Monday morning!

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
If you had read the post, the OP said that he NEVER got the letter and that he didnt know.. as an insurance agent for the past 13 years, i can attest that soo many people are UNAWARE they are driving without insurance.. they are not bad people.. things happen, mail gets lost, mail doesnt fwd if you move sometimes.. checks dont get in in time... its not a HUGE deal.. you dont know how many people i see on a daily basis sit accross from me.. goood UPSTANDING people, mistakes happen, were only human.. calm down

Please enlighten me.........those are all lame excuses.....

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Please enlighten me.........those are all lame excuses.....

While you may FEEL they are lame, they happen on a weekly basis, the MAIL isnt perfect, letters get lost, or get to you too late.. your check may have inexplainably bounced, it COULD have been put on another persons policy by accident.. people tanspose numbers all the time.. DMV could have made an error,, there are a million and one reasons people's insurance lapse and sometimes due to NO fault of their own... do you call your insurance agent EVERY morning at 12:01am to see if your insurance is in effect??? Im betting you dont.. like i said ive been an insurance agent for 13 years.. ive seen everything from ex spouses hiding mail, to mail never coming, to checks being processed incorrectly. and at 19 years old do you think the young man had any idea to contact DMV to change his lisence? Dont judgem and im not trying to flame you, but since i see it happen all the time, i can attest that "things happen" and it doesnt make someone a bad person..

Nunu
April 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
If our insurance lapses here we get a registered letter followed by a call from whoever the lienholder is on the vehicle.

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM
While you may FEEL they are lame, they happen on a weekly basis, the MAIL isnt perfect, letters get lost, or get to you too late.. your check may have inexplainably bounced, it COULD have been put on another persons policy by accident.. people tanspose numbers all the time.. DMV could have made an error,, there are a million and one reasons people's insurance lapse and sometimes due to NO fault of their own... do you call your insurance agent EVERY morning at 12:01am to see if your insurance is in effect??? Im betting you dont.. like i said ive been an insurance agent for 13 years.. ive seen everything from ex spouses hiding mail, to mail never coming, to checks being processed incorrectly. and at 19 years old do you think the young man had any idea to contact DMV to change his lisence? Dont judgem and im not trying to flame you, but since i see it happen all the time, i can attest that "things happen" and it doesnt make someone a bad person..

Officer I only had 2 drinks....really I did:rolleyes:

It is called responsibility......nothing but lame excuses.....

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
If our insurance lapses here we get a registered letter followed by a call from whoever the lienholder is on the vehicle.

Not only that but they send out a reminder before it is due......then there is this thing called online banking.......if you know you are sending a check late......guess what? you can go online to see if it cleared......if you are not internet savvy you can do it over the phone....imagine that:confused:

templed
Well... you could make the argument that sharing a soda card is Petty Larceny.

lol

What's the difference if the kid is a Felon or not? Chances are ... if you met him on the street... you wouldn't know it anyway.

Tolerance people... Tolerance.

LemurCat
My brother is a convicted felon as well ...

FYI, unless your brother was convicted of a FELONY (which driving without insurance isn't, in most states, especially for first-time offenders), he's not a felon. He's just got a traffic conviction on his record. An expensive one, yes, but not a felony.

Nunu
April 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
FYI, unless your brother was convicted of a FELONY (which driving without insurance isn't, in most states, especially for first-time offenders), he's not a felon. He's just got a traffic conviction on his record. An expensive one, yes, but not a felony.

What if he threw a fork out the window? :confused:

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well... you could make the argument that sharing a soda card is Petty Larceny.

Actually no........you can't:D

templed
April 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
petty larceny n. a term used in many states for theft of a small amount of money or objects of little value (such as less than $500). It is distinguished from grand larceny which is theft of property of greater worth, which is a felony punishable by a term in state prison. Petty larceny is a misdemeanor punishable at maximum with a term in the county jail. States which only use the term "larceny," often treat theft of a smaller amounts as a misdemeanor in sentencing.

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
petty larceny n. a term used in many states for theft of a small amount of money or objects of little value (such as less than $500). It is distinguished from grand larceny which is theft of property of greater worth, which is a felony punishable by a term in state prison. Petty larceny is a misdemeanor punishable at maximum with a term in the county jail. States which only use the term "larceny," often treat theft of a smaller amounts as a misdemeanor in sentencing.

But when you're using a soda card, you're not in a state, you're on cruise ship in international waters. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a cruise ship policy.

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
But when you're using a soda card, you're not in a state, you're on cruise ship in international waters. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a cruise ship policy.

And sharing is not stealing;)

templed
April 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Well... ya... but...

... ya...

Whatever... lol

Like I've never done it... ya... that's it.

FireIce0010
April 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
:oMaybe it's just me but why would anyone post something like this in a public forum? Why not go directly to Carnival and ask them? They are the one that makes the decision on this and not the posters on this board. :o

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
:oMaybe it's just me but why would anyone post something like this in a public forum? Why not go directly to Carnival and ask them? They are the one that makes the decision on this and not the posters on this board. :o

Because you'll get as many different answers as the people you ask. What the OP's family member *should* be doing is speaking to the lawyer who represented them, having their terms of conviction, etc. etc. etc. reviewed and not relying on the opinions and views of an internet messageboard.

babyher
April 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Last summer , I was sitting outisde with one of my neighbors , A van from the power company pulls in her driveway. the guy gets out takes out his tools and walks up the driveway, right past us and around the house without a " Hello, how are ya?"

She follows him and asks what the problem is. He says he is there to shut off the power for non payment. the poor girl goes frantic. She knows darn well she paid her bill there is a mistake. the guy doesn't want to know anything he just knows what is on his paper.

She gets on her cell phone and calls the power company. Sure enough she is paid in full and current and her next bill isn't due until next month.

She hands the phone to the guy and he talks to her and everything was cleared.

Now who knows why her name and address was on the list , obviously a mistake. but it was a good thing she was home at the time and was able to nip it in the bud at the time

Nunu
April 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Stay tuned for plenty more. :D

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Stay tuned for plenty more. :D

Get your snuggie on......it's going to be a long one:D:p

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Not only that but they send out a reminder before it is due......then there is this thing called online banking.......if you know you are sending a check late......guess what? you can go online to see if it cleared......if you are not internet savvy you can do it over the phone....imagine that:confused:

Hopefully youll never be the one sitting across the desk of your agent, when the internet site was down, or your online banking system was down... yes it happens. it happened in the grocery store yesterday, the satellite was down and they couldnt take debit /or credit card payments... only cash... while there is a certain level of responsibility to maintain, accidents and mistakes are a part of life..

i had a woman JUST call me this morning that she had NO idea her husband ( soon to be ex) removed her and her car from his auto insurance policy, in their seperation agreement it states he is to pay for both vehicles until divorced.. he didnt, shes had no insurance for almost 2 weeks, DMV doesnt send out letters in NY state for almost 30 days after they are electronlically notified of an insurance lapse, the only reason she found out about it was a rock hit her winshield and she was calling in a glass claim... when i advised her that car was removed from the policy almost 2 weeks ago..

My point is there are OTHER reasons other than being irresponsible that people are UNKNOWINGLY driving with no insurance..

nrdsb4
April 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Because you'll get as many different answers as the people you ask. What the OP's family member *should* be doing is speaking to the lawyer who represented them, having their terms of conviction, etc. etc. etc. reviewed and not relying on the opinions and views of an internet messageboard.

I'm just shaking my head that the OP would come here for the answer to this question, and even more astounded at people who have NO KNOWLEDGE of this particular person's circumstances who are giving her the green light to add the stepson to the reservation. :rolleyes:

OP, talk to a lawyer!

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hopefully youll never be the one sitting across the desk of your agent, when the internet site was down, or your online banking system was down... yes it happens. it happened in the grocery store yesterday, the satellite was down and they couldnt take debit /or credit card payments... only cash... while there is a certain level of responsibility to maintain, accidents and mistakes are a part of life..

i had a woman JUST call me this morning that she had NO idea her husband ( soon to be ex) removed her and her car from his auto insurance policy, in their seperation agreement it states he is to pay for both vehicles until divorced.. he didnt, shes had no insurance for almost 2 weeks, DMV doesnt send out letters in NY state for almost 30 days after they are electronlically notified of an insurance lapse, the only reason she found out about it was a rock hit her winshield and she was calling in a glass claim... when i advised her that car was removed from the policy almost 2 weeks ago..

My point is there are OTHER reasons other than being irresponsible that people are UNKNOWINGLY driving with no insurance..

The original post was about a guy who was driving around with no insurance.....which he knew........that is what got his license pulled.......
All those examples again are about personal responsibility.......they are all just excuses........If I was going thru a divorce I certainly would not trust my x to pay my bills lol!

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm just shaking my head that the OP would come here for the answer to this question, and even more astounded at people who have NO KNOWLEDGE of this particular person's circumstances who are giving her the green light to add the stepson to the reservation. :rolleyes:

OP, talk to a lawyer!

Well, what do you expect in the age of "user based knowledge". :rolleyes: Who needs common sense when you have internet messageboards and Wikipedia? (Okay, sound like I'm 65 now. Someone send me an AARP card and sign me up for the Early Bird Special ....)

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
The original post was about a guy who was driving around with no insurance.....which he knew........that is what got his license pulled.......
All those examples again are about personal responsibility.......they are all just excuses........If I was going thru a divorce I certainly would not trust my x to pay my bills lol!

LOL, while i wouldnt trust my ex either.. one tends to think that a court ordered seperation agreement would be legal enough that he wouldnt have done such a thing.. but he did... however i read in the OP that the child never got the letter and didnt know his DL was suspended.. while being 19 legally makes you an adult, i dont know if at 19 i would have thought to go to DMV to cahnge my addy.. id like to think i was that smart, but hey hes a kid ( well to me he is cause now im 31) but i guess my point was that driving without insurance unknowingly doesnt make you a bad person..

now that being said,,driving KNOWINGLY without insurance does certainly make me angry..and there is no excuse for that.. if you cant afford to pay your bills, then you dont deserve the luxury of driving in a vehicle where you could do damage to others property as well as their persons.. without having the coverage that makes you LEGAL to be on the road,.,

templed
April 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
(Hands LemurCat a pair of white loafers and a snuggie as her official initiation)

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
(Hands LemurCat a pair of white loafers and a snuggie as her official initiation)

"My, aren't they something, Eddie ..." -- Clark Griswald

SnglCruiser
April 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I would like to point out a few things in the case of my brother.

1. My parents dropped his insurance. Yes they told him that if dropped out of school they would cancel his insurance, but they also told him that they were going to do lots of other things that he "knew" they would never do, i.e. hang him up by his toenails, send him to live with a new family, etc. etc. etc. You know all of the things that parents tell their children to make them do what the parents want. He had no idea that my parents would really cancel his insurance.

2. His insurance wasn't cancelled because the bill wasn't paid. The insurance company didn't send a past-due notice, and then a final notice. The insurance was cancelled because my parents cancelled it.

3. The State of Florida sent a notice that his license was suspended for failing to carry insurance.

4. The address on his driver's license and insurance was CORRECT. He still lived at home with my parents. My parents always took the mail out of the mailbox, and for whatever reason Junior never got this letter. Perhaps it was because it was addressed with just his name without the Jr. and assumed it was dads. Who knows?

My point is... not everyone who has a felony conviction is a rapist or a murderer.

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM

1. My parents dropped his insurance. Yes they told him that if dropped out of school they would cancel his insurance, but they also told him that they were going to do lots of other things that he "knew" they would never do, i.e. hang him up by his toenails, send him to live with a new family, etc. etc. etc. You know all of the things that parents tell their children to make them do what the parents want. He had no idea that my parents would really cancel his insurance.

2. His insurance wasn't cancelled because the bill wasn't paid. The insurance company didn't send a past-due notice, and then a final notice. The insurance was cancelled because my parents cancelled it.

3. The State of Florida sent a notice that his license was suspended for failing to carry insurance.

4. The address on his driver's license and insurance was CORRECT. He still lived at home with my parents. My parents always took the mail out of the mailbox, and for whatever reason Junior never got this letter. Perhaps it was because it was addressed with just his name without the Jr. and assumed it was dads. Who knows?

My point is... not everyone who has a felony conviction is a rapist or a murderer.

Well said! And the reason why i was saying, doesnt make anyone a bad person.. there are MANY reasons someone could unknowingly be driving without insurance.. Shi& happens...

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Just FYI for all parents who threaten to cancel insurance... i am lisensed in NY NJ and FL, if your children still reside at home you are legally responsible for them until they turn 21, in NJ and in FL , here in NY its 24.. so if you decide to drop them and they are driving around with no insurance, and get into an accident.. guess who is still responsible... the parents.. yes it sucks, no i dont make the laws but just wanted to give all those parents a heads up :) i would hate to see any of you get smacked with a lawsuit where you could ultimately lose your home... if they have their own insurance you dont have to worry about a thing, all legal liability will be covered under their own policies.. idk how it stands for the rest of the country as i am only lisensed to do business in NY NJ and FL

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
i am only lisensed to do business in NY NJ and FL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all 3 are no-fault states, aren't they?

babyher
April 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well said! And the reason why i was saying, doesnt make anyone a bad person.. there are MANY reasons someone could unknowingly be driving without insurance.. Shi& happens...

Years ago I lived in a small town. Town Hall was a a transformed old school house. The Tax Collector was a sweet little old lady who probably started on the job using an abbacas, a sundial, and a quill pen.

All of a sudden they plopped a computer on her desk and said "Here you go"

For over a year, the line of people standing outside that office with a letter from DMV stating they couldn't register their car because their car taxes weren't paid ,and the cancelled check proving they did in fact pay their taxes was overwhelming.

So mistakes really do happen, and it's not always the person in questions fault

grammacassi
April 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Not true DH is a felon and has gotten his passport.

helicopter
April 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Just to clarify something, a felon can travel into Canada with proper paper work. If the conviction is under 5 years they have to fill out a rehabilitation form, send it in, have it reviewed and unless something awful (murder, rape, etc) it is granted and they can enter (it is good for so many months). If the conviction is over 10 years they get a permanent rehabilitation and it is good for ever. Both apply if there have been no convictions since. While a DUI (1st time) is not a felony in the US, it is in Canada and the laws allowing you in are determined by Canadian law. So while you may have a DUI (not felony) in the US, it is a felony in Canada and without the paper work they do not have to let you in. One of our former Presidents had to have a rehabilitation letter to travel to Canada (while President) because of a DUI. So they statement that a convicted felon can not enter Canada isn't entirely true.

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all 3 are no-fault states, aren't they?

yes all 3 are no fault states, however NJ is a very different animal when it comes to PIP laws... ofcourse everyone is also mandated to carry uninsured underinsured motorist coverage, but many times especially in Florida and NY we dont require the limits to be made consitant and many people carry much lower limits than their own bodily injury limits. NJ will not allow you to carry inconsitent limits so if you are carrying 100/300 for bodily injury you must also carry 100/300 for uninsure motorist. in NY you can carry 100/300 liability and 25/50 for uninsured,., and to make matters worse in Florida you can unstack your limits if you have two cars, one car can carry 100/300 and the other car can be 10/20...

insurance is a pain in the ass! LOL

sparks1093
April 5th, 2010, 12:20 PM
at home you are legally responsible for them until they turn ...here in NY its 24..

One more reason why I live on this side of the lake:cool:.

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
yes all 3 are no fault states, however NJ is a very different animal when it comes to PIP laws...

Yeah, I know. One of the "joys" of living in the Garden State. I'm always so tempted to registered my car at my folks' place in PA but don't want to get into any trouble on account of it. ;)

DqALEX
April 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
LOL there are many Felons on cruise ships

mlzangel78
April 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I know. One of the "joys" of living in the Garden State. I'm always so tempted to registered my car at my folks' place in PA but don't want to get into any trouble on account of it. ;)

or delaware :) LOL just FYI..on the verbal threshold for you vs non-verbal threshold.. many agents will scare you into paying the extra money for NON verbal threshold.. meaning you can sue for any rhyme or reason, bad hair day broken finger nail... the verbal threshold is cheaper and you can absolutely sue for a permanent injury.. permanent injury doesnt mean you need to lose a limb or an eye.. it just means that you no longer have 100% use of something,, the only thing verbal threshold limits you on is suing for pain and suffering.. but you still can abolsutly sue if you are injured... :) hope that helps

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Sounds like Junior was irresponsible from the get go;)
Kudos to mom and dad for finally following thru on their threats.......

KruznKel
April 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
As long as you don't have to cross the border.. I dunno how strict they are in the states with checking records.. but even with a DUI.. you can't get into Canada:eek:

Fourseventeen
April 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
why do people keep repeating the same answers LOL. I think she has her answer now. Of coarse something is fishy about this story but hey thats just my .02 cents. This kid wouldnt get a felony for a first offense driving on a suspended without insurance. And how old is this kid? Why isnt he responsible for his own life (insurance, knowing if he has a license etc) When I turned 18 my parents said heres your bills...pay um!

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
why do people keep repeating the same answers LOL.

Because they're responding without readin the whole thread.

Fourseventeen
April 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Did you know you are a felon when you are convicted of a felony:confused::rolleyes:

now that wouldnt make sense LOL :D

did you not you can not get a felony for driving on a suspended license in Florida?

kelz66
April 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM
why do people keep repeating the same answers LOL.

Because they're responding without readin the whole thread.

and it is cruise critic....:p

Kurbanfan
April 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM

did you not you can not get a felony for driving on a suspended license in Florida?

LOL! Nor for being irresponsible and not paying your insurance bill:p:D

LemurCat
April 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Next thing you know, you'll tell me there's a difference between Civil and Criminal court ...

ManyMore
April 5th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Once someone has paid their debt to society they have paid their debt. Im pretty sure there are some people on here living in glass houses. Until you are in the position, don't judge. People make mistakes and trust me I hope if I ever do my family and friends won't just toss me aside like some of you think this person should. OP... I hope you guys have a great cruise!

Fourseventeen
April 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hey people arent perfect...I know I have made my mistakes. I made a lot of stupid mistakes when I was under 18 that landed me on the wrong side of the law...and now go figure im not playing on the other team. BUT I think once you become an adult thats when its time for you to step up to the plate and handle your OWN business not let your mother, step mother or wives mother (or anyone else for that matter) handle your business. Your an adult...pay your own damn insurance, keep track of your own license.
But regardless.... there is MUCH more to this story then we are getting from the OP. There is no way this guy has a felony for just driving while suspended. He was either drunk driving while suspended or he hit and injured someone...or maybe its a completely different charge entirely.

kelz66
April 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM
People make mistakes and trust me I hope if I ever do my family and friends won't just toss me aside like some of you think this person should.

or post about it on an internet message board...:rolleyes::eek:

Fourseventeen
April 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
or post about it on an internet message board...:rolleyes::eek:
lol :d

AZ Karaoke Girl
April 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Canada and the US have the same rules with respect to felons. Felons from the US can't get into Canada and felons from Canada and other countries are likewise barred from the US.

Just to clarify something, a felon can travel into Canada with proper paper work. If the conviction is under 5 years they have to fill out a rehabilitation form, send it in, have it reviewed and unless something awful (murder, rape, etc) it is granted and they can enter (it is good for so many months). If the conviction is over 10 years they get a permanent rehabilitation and it is good for ever. Both apply if there have been no convictions since. While a DUI (1st time) is not a felony in the US, it is in Canada and the laws allowing you in are determined by Canadian law. So while you may have a DUI (not felony) in the US, it is a felony in Canada and without the paper work they do not have to let you in. One of our former Presidents had to have a rehabilitation letter to travel to Canada (while President) because of a DUI. So they statement that a convicted felon can not enter Canada isn't entirely true.

So I'm wondering about this Canada thing. Some of you say Carnival doesn't check backgrounds but doesn't immigration do that when you go to board the ship? I'm just wondering. I know someone that was convicted 25 years ago & served less than 6 months time. Has a passport and has cruised since released. But I didn't think this person could take an Alaskan cruise cuz of the felony charge. If this person was to board the ship in Seattle for the Alaskan cruise and never even got off the ship in Canada, could Carnival turn them away when they try to board and therefore lose the money paid for the cruise? How would Canada know there is a person that has a very old conviction onboard the ship when they have a passport? Just wondering if anyone knows.

helicopter
April 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Personally I don't think they would know if a felon got on and off the ship in Canada. Having sailed twice (recently with a convicted felon, non-violent crime, and within 6 months of getting out of state jail) we had no problem what so ever. Yes, the felon is my daughter, is doing extremely well, and would never think of turning my back on her. Even her dad (37 years veteran of a very large city police department) didn't turn his back on her:eek: amazing how one can still love a FELON

helicopter
April 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Personally I don't think they would know if a felon got on and off the ship in Canada. Having sailed twice (recently with a convicted felon, non-violent crime, and within 6 months of getting out of state jail) we had no problem what so ever. Yes, the felon is my daughter, is doing extremely well, and would never think of turning my back on her. Even her dad (37 years veteran of a very large city police department) didn't turn his back on her:eek: amazing how one can still love a FELON. And yes to those who are appalled at the idea, we paid for her cruise and even sat by her - for two reasons 1) because we could, and 2) because we love her.

TahoeBob
April 5th, 2010, 11:09 PM

My son has a felony for drug related things, should I just through him to the curb. By the way he has been clean and sober for over 5 years now, he has a job that pays over 50,000 per year pays his taxes, he has never missed or failed a drug test goes to NA meetings twice a week, the worst thing that has happened to him since his legal troubles was a car accident, by the way he has insurance for his car.

The fact is some people change, I guess the reason I would hang out with my adult son is because I love him and he is the father of my granddaughter.

One last thing, I would bet there is more one person on this board who has a felony record.

salty dingo
April 5th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I see no reason a person with a criminal record would have any problems going on a cruise, subject to the following:

They are not on parole and/or have authorization to go from the parole officer
They are not visiting a country that prohibits felons (like Canada) or do not plan to get off the ship in ports of call
Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you want to prohibit felons from riding in a bus or on an airline? Would you prohibit them from riding a train to work? No, you would not.

Once someone has paid their debt, they are free and clear, in my view. They may not vote or own weapons, but they have most other civil rights, including traveling.

P.S. Canada prohibits people with misdemeanors, too... anything above a traffic ticket. A DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let people in with DUIs... unless you happen to be an ex-President or a rock star!

boaterette
April 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Thanks

This is just bizarre. I sure wouldn't want to travel with known felons.

boaterette
April 6th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I see no reason a person with a criminal record would have any problems going on a cruise, subject to the following:

They are not visiting a country that prohibits felons (like Canada) or do not plan to get off the ship in ports of call
Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you want to prohibit felons from riding in a bus or on an airline? Would you prohibit them from riding a train to work? No, you would not.

Once someone has paid their debt, they are free and clear, in my view. They may not vote or own weapons, but they have most other civil rights, including traveling.

P.S. Canada prohibits people with misdemeanors, too... anything above a traffic ticket. A DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let people in with DUIs... unless you happen to be an ex-President or a rock star!

I love Canada. Wish the US was the same way.

kelz66
April 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM

How about unknown felons? :p

Get real...their is probably one living in your neighborhood.

You have probably cruised with one before and had no clue..:eek:

nbsjcruiser
April 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM

Wouldn't that be a mis-demeanor? Doesn't sound like they'd label him a felon surely.

nbsjcruiser
April 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM

The US laws are almost as tough on people entering the US. I know the majority of people on this board are Americans and therefore the emphasis naturally will tend to reflect what happens to Americans but you should know
that if you are a felon in Canada, you aren't getting into the US either.

salty dingo
April 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The US laws are almost as tough on people entering the US. I know the majority of people on this board are Americans and therefore the emphasis naturally will tend to reflect what happens to Americans but you should know
that if you are a felon in Canada, you aren't getting into the US either.
Yep - that's one reason Canada does not make exceptions for Americans... we don't make exceptions for Canadians.

Any crime in the last five years - you are not getting in. After that, it is up to the discretion of those at the border.

Cruise ship passengers will be caught if they choose to run the mainfest throught the NCIC database, and that does sometimes occur.

Vanessa L
April 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Having had first hand experience with someone (adult child) who was making stupid decisions I'll say this; there is no way I would ever stop loving my child. Ever. However, there does come a time after they turn 21 when you just have to let go if they are continuing to make bad decisions. Maybe the policeman on here can correct me, but it IS possible to get a felony arrest the first time one is arrested? The point is, the person getting that arrest wasn't an upstanding person working a full time job, paying taxes, loving and nurturing their spouse and kids, and just woke up one day and said, "Gee, my life is so freaking great, think I'll go commit a felony today just to see what that's all about." No, people who have felonies usually aren't on a path that leads to success.

Circling me back, for my own sanity, I had to just tell the child who was making these stupid decisions that I was going to let her go live her life, do as she chose (she was going to do that anyway) and then just let go and let God. This after 3 years of trying to make her "see the light" (AKA, banging my head against the wall). I love this child beyond words, but I also know that at some point, I had to let go or lose my mind trying to effect a change in someone who doesn't see that she has any issues at all.

To that end, someone noted here that their child had made some stupid decisions also, but apparently, jail scared them straight and they have made a life for themselves. While I would accept that child back with open arms, I know that it would be conditional until I knew they could be trusted again. I would not take a child who was just out of jail on a cruise. No way. Another thing I have learned from first hand experience of a direct family member currently serving time, people in jail will say anything and do anything to "assure" everyone they have "changed". Being locked up does that to a person. For me, the proof is in the pudding if that person can walk the walk when they get out, as this woman's son did who turned his life around after the conviction.

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM

And yet, you probably do all the time. :rolleyes:

They don't exactly come with a stamp across the forehead, you know.

Nunu
April 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
And yet, you probably do all the time. :rolleyes:

They don't exactly come with a stamp across the forehead, you know.

We still use the Scarlet letter system up here.

boaterette
April 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
How about unknown felons? :p

Get real...their is probably one living in your neighborhood.

You have probably cruised with one before and had no clue..:eek:

I am sure that we have all sailed with child molesters too but that doesn't mean I want to sail with them.

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
We still use the Scarlet letter system up here.

See, and I just thought that was Roots' new style of hoodie and t-shirt ...

Nunu
April 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM
See, and I just thought that was Roots' new style of hoodie and t-shirt ...

Tiger Woods wears the new Nike AAAAAAAAAAAA line of clothing.

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I am sure that we have all sailed with child molesters too but that doesn't mean I want to sail with them.

True enough, but if someone's been convicted, has completed their sentence, and is not a recidivist, who are you to judge?

salty dingo
April 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Would you be OK with cruising with tax cheats and people who don't pay child support? Or maybe cruising with Martha Stewart (people who trade stocks on inside information?)

If you answered 'Yes' then you are OK to cruise with felons.

luddite
April 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I can't see why felons shouldn't be allowed to cruise. After all, they're allowed in Congress and on the Washington DC city council.

Kurbanfan
April 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
True enough, but if someone's been convicted, has completed their sentence, and is not a recidivist, who are you to judge?

Depending on the crime.........I have no problem judging:D

kelz66
April 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Thats the chance you take leaving your house every day....you might actually be beind one in line at the grocery store. :eek:

Nunu
April 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have no problem judging:D

Since when? :confused:

Kurbanfan
April 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Since when? :confused:

Since I started:D

grammacassi
April 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM

i think it would be better traveling with "known" felons than "unknown" felons!

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Depending on the crime.........I have no problem judging:D

I guess it's a good thing they aren't walking around wearing sandwich boards with their criminal records on 'em then. (Totally get what you're saying though.)

Derka
April 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Were not talking about owning a gun here, its a freaking cruise, if the person did their time and isn't on any probation or parole, i don't see why anyone would have a problem with this!

babyher
April 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I guess it's a good thing they aren't walking around wearing sandwich boards with their criminal records on 'em then. (Totally get what you're saying though.)

There are some criminals that just can't be rehabilitated and you have to watch out for them until the day they close the coffin lid on them.

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Were not talking about owning a gun here, its a freaking cruise, if the person did their time and isn't on any probation or parole, i don't see why anyone would have a problem with this!

I think the biggest concern here is a convicted child molester being on a cruise with one's kids, which is a totally understandable concern. I'm not so concerned about the tax-evaders, insider-traders, ponzi-schemers, even the drunk drivers and narcotics users who've cleaned themselves up and have done their time don't concern me (and I'd venture to say most people). It's the child molesters, rapists, and violent offenders that have people concerned.

babyher
April 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think the biggest concern here is a convicted child molester being on a cruise with one's kids, which is a totally understandable concern. I'm not so concerned about the tax-evaders, insider-traders, ponzi-schemers, even the drunk drivers and narcotics users who've cleaned themselves up and have done their time don't concern me (and I'd venture to say most people). It's the child molesters, rapists, and violent offenders that have people concerned.

Exactly

Those people have sickness that you can not change with jail time or rehab.

Derka
April 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I agree with that 100% but most rapists and molesters have to report to a parole officer weekly, and part of their parole is no contact with kids and such. So legally i dont see those type of people cruising.

kelz66
April 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
There are some criminals that just can't be rehabilitated and you have to watch out for them until the day they close the coffin lid on them.

Not all criminals have been convicted. :eek:

LemurCat
April 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with that 100% but most rapists and molesters have to report to a parole officer weekly, and part of their parole is no contact with kids and such. So legally i dont see those type of people cruising.

Go read cruisejunkie.com. You'd be surprised how many times a year a convicted child molester makes their way onto a cruise ship. And those are just the reported incidences.

babyher
April 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Not all criminals have been convicted. :eek:

Absolutely

Like i mentioned in an earlier post. Some people have just been lucky not to have been caught. YET

yakdaddy42
April 6th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Those type of people have proven they don't follow the laws anyway so what is to stop them from getting on a cruise, nothing but the check the homeland security is supposed to be doing before you set sail.

kelz66
April 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Absolutely

Like i mentioned in an earlier post. Some people have just been lucky not to have been caught. YET

exactly...and they walk amoung us every day. :eek: :p

kelz66
April 6th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Those type of people have proven they don't follow the laws anyway so what is to stop them from getting on a cruise, nothing but the check the homeland security is supposed to be doing before you set sail.

If they are not on a terrorist watch list or something similar that won't help much. :cool:

picklebongo
April 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I believe the remark was "Why would you pay for a felon";)

Probably because if he has been in prison for a year he may not have the financial resources to pay for himself. Folks pay for family members to cruise all the time, not a big who pays for it.

KULPN
April 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
If a Felon served his/her time and are free, why can't they cruise? Unless their probation or parole forbids leaving the area or they are on some kind of watch list, they can do what they want in most things. If someone commits burglary as a young man and serves for a felony, does that mean he can never have a life?
No, I am not a felon BTW.

Kurbanfan
April 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Probably because if he has been in prison for a year he may not have the financial resources to pay for himself. Folks pay for family members to cruise all the time, not a big who pays for it.

Actually according to the op he is in prison as we speak:D

tsb702
April 6th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Aahahhahaa! Hilarious!:p

Crusin6
April 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM

I think he must have done things to really piss your parents off...that's why they stopped paying for him

Crusin6
April 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Absolutely

and a very good argument for not letting your kids have free roam of the ship.

Nunu
April 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I think he must have done things to really piss your parents off...that's why they stopped paying for him

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/scottm4211/f5288d7a.jpg

Crusin6
April 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/scottm4211/f5288d7a.jpg
huh? What is the joke here?

Nunu
April 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
huh? What is the joke here?

That's my cat Joe. :p

tracyvansmith
April 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM

LOL good one. Made me laugh out loud.

tracyvansmith
April 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM

This was going to be my answer. First check and see if he can leave the County then check the countries you are going to, to see if he can enter those countries.

yakdaddy42
April 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Sometimes is a thing called tough love.

At some point you have to say, you are on your own and have to deal with the results of your choices.

Of course there are the type of parents that keep patting Johny on his po-po and tell him he will get a time out. Some times a time out in not enough

Fourseventeen
April 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
im a little confused what a cat photo has to do with this post :confused:

Anyway I wonder if this will turn into the longest trash talking post on CC website? :D

The correct answer to the question has been posted over a dozen times lol.

Sarapdot
April 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Ummmmm that's not a Felony!!

laumicmah
April 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
You just never know who is going to be on a ship....so why do some parents leave their young kids unattended?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know not all felons will get out of prison and become recidivists, but a certain percent do. So, if there is 1 or more felons on every cruise, why take the chance?

Sarapdot
April 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
If its a 3rd offense for doing this in Florida...it is a Felony. BUT the OP states it was his first offense??? Somethings not adding up here. :confused:

But whatever...maybe he isnt telling her the whole story which in turn isnt going to make the OP look to good.

notice she said he is now an investigatior for the atty office...I'm pretty sure that if you are a convicted felon you would not be able to hold that position. I've been in law enforcement for 8 years now and I've never heard of that.

SnglCruiser
April 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
With comments like these, you are only proving my point. Some felons were convicted of extremely stupid things that should never have been felony charges to begin with.

To blindly and blanketly say that felons should be ignored by family and friends and society as a whole is total BS!

johnjen
April 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM

I was reading this thread and you've put it exactly how'd I'd say it. The OP only wants to know and I hope he finds his answers but won't find it on here. Heck, these days, practically anyone can be a felon, all it takes is a small mistake. Look at radio personality G Gordon Liddy. He's a felon. Great guy, too.

I wish the OP well, and hope that his son in law gets to cruise.

SnglCruiser
April 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM
[/color]

notice she said he is now an investigatior for the atty office...I'm pretty sure that if you are a convicted felon you would not be able to hold that position. I've been in law enforcement for 8 years now and I've never heard of that.

I also said that he was entered into a pre-trial diversion program and after completing a year of probation (no jail time) that his record was expunged.

dan40
April 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I also said that he was entered into a pre-trial diversion program and after completing a year of probation (no jail time) that his record was expunged.

Did you explain somewhere how a first offense for driving with a suspended license became a felony??

SnglCruiser
April 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM
My understanding is it was because of the length of time that his license had been suspended. Less than 3 months is one charge, 3-6 months another, 6 months to a year, still another. Same thing with failing to carry insurance.

What I have explained, repeatedly, is that not all felons are rapists and murderers. Some people are convicted of felonies that most people would think were not felonies at all.

Sarapdot
April 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM

I apologize...I must have missed that. I still don't see how this was a felony charge though.

dan40
April 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
My understanding is it was because of the length of time that his license had been suspended. Less than 3 months is one charge, 3-6 months another, 6 months to a year, still another. Same thing with failing to carry insurance.

What I have explained, repeatedly, is that not all felons are rapists and murderers. Some people are convicted of felonies that most people would think were not felonies at all.

This would be fairly typical of most states:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), any person whose driver's license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked, except a "habitual traffic offender" as defined in s. 322.264, who drives a vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked is guilty of a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.
(2) Any person whose driver's license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked as provided by law, except persons defined in s. 322.264, who, knowing of such cancellation, suspension, or revocation, drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked, upon:
(a) A first conviction is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(b) A second conviction is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(c) A third or subsequent conviction is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

The element of knowledge is satisfied if the person has been previously cited as provided in subsection (1); or the person admits to knowledge of the cancellation, suspension, or revocation; or the person received notice as provided in subsection (4). There shall be a rebuttable presumption that the knowledge requirement is satisfied if a judgment or order as provided in subsection (4) appears in the department's records for any case except for one involving a suspension by the department for failure to pay a traffic fine or for a financial responsibility violation.

Sounds like there is a "The rest of the story!"

Nunu
April 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I thought this thread was about felines. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/scottm4211/smilies/headinhand.gif

Sarapdot
April 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Kurbanfan and Nunu ya'll are cracking me up!!! Love ya'lls comments!! :D

cruizer4662
April 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
The OP asked one question, someone else stated their case of a individual being arrested for not having valid insurance.

These two examples are getting mixed up and people are not answering the OP. Yes, I have read ALL 10 pages of this nonsense without seeing the OP get the answer she needed:eek::eek::eek:.

dan40
April 11th, 2010, 06:27 PM
The OP asked one question, someone else stated their case of a individual being arrested for not having valid insurance.

These two examples are getting mixed up and people are not answering the OP. Yes, I have read ALL 10 pages of this nonsense without seeing the OP get the answer she needed:eek::eek::eek:.

Way, way back the OP was told to check with the authorities involved and the felons lawyer. No one on this board could possibly have a better answer.

Nunu
April 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Way, way back the OP was told to check with the authorities involved and the felons lawyer. No one on this board could possibly have a better answer.

Did you see my cat? :confused:

michelle1836
April 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM

no, but I hope you find it soon. Otherwise I can't tell who you are :rolleyes:

dan40
April 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Check the schedule. Its not my day to watch it.:p

babyher
April 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM

I saw him.

He was trying to get across the border into Canada. But he was refused entry because he had a felony conviction.

Seems he was once arrested for burglery.

get it.....cat burgler *LOL*

I am sorry ...it's been a long day :(

kelz66
April 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I saw him.

He was trying to get across the border into Canada. But he was refused entry because he had a felony conviction.

him???

:eek::eek:

Nunu
April 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I saw him.

lol not bad dude :p

Prphan2
April 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM

:eek:ROTFLMAO!!! I can't stand her!!!!

Prphan2
April 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM

WOW!!!:( Did you ever consider that maybe you do hang out with a felon, and you just don't know??? The range of crimes considered felonies is HUGE!!! Personally, I have a cousin who pretty much went to H*ll and back before he cleaned up his act and anyone who is a new friend of his is always shocked when he tells of his past...which he is quite open with. Apparently, you and those in your circle of family and friends have lived a perfect life. Geez!!!:(

nrdsb4
April 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Well, if you've read all 10 pages, then you surely know she certainly HAS received the answer she needed. A majority say her family member certainly can cruise, and a few have stated it depends upon the crime, the terms of his release, and the locations to which they would be traveling. Which then means that the ONLY correct answer is this one:

Kokomos
April 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have nothing to offer on the subject but a xanax. Oh wait, thats a felony, but i think a few people need em more than I do.

dustyroad
April 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
It may depend on his crime. Some felons are not allowed near a school.

good question. :confused:.

salty dingo
April 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have to wonder if, on a foreign-flagged vessel, that any restrictions imposed by a US court would apply at sea. I have heard about people being arrested in the US for violating a US law while they were abroad ("sex tourism" comes to mind) but I don't think a foreign-flagged vessel is concerned with enforcing US laws.

They do have to comply with US and international laws but the cruise line probably does not employ law enforcement personnel. The ship's security staff is there to protect the passengers and the ship, but they are not there to be cops. They don't bring you before a judge - they always turn cases over to the real cops as soon as they can.