PDA

View Full Version : Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone
May 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

wernew2cruising
May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I have always wondered this. What do they see on the screens when they scan your passport? The other thing I have wondered is if you are a registered offender are you allowed to cruise? (this is what happens when you get bored and start thinking of all kinds of things...LOL)

dd2355
May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wow. I can't imagine not getting something like that sorted out. Seems like that could create a real fun time at Customs when reentering the county. Likewise for the girlfriend if someone wanted to make an example out of it.

Anyway, the ONLY piece of advice you get on this forum that you should listen to is the one which says he needs to talk to a real lawyer well before trying to leave the country.

BoooBooKitEFk
May 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The only issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!! :rolleyes:

PS: Personally, I couldn't give a rats a$$, but there are those that do. :o

ETA: Of course, this is ONLY my OPINION!

johnjen
May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.

Ashpalo
May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

Ashley :)

madthumper
May 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
A friend of mine was arrested as she left the Carnival Sensation a few months ago as she was clearing customs. That was for a Failure to appear warrant for D.W.I. which is a little more severe than a failure to pay so they do check.

MrCo9
May 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I doubt he'll be flagged getting on the ship, it's getting off where he might encounter the problems. And it's not when he goes through customs, unless he's smuggling anything, it's when he goes through immigration.

Ken076
May 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.

On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

I'm agreeing with both poster above - I don't believe the problem will come in boarding, it might come in leaving the ship. If he were going thru Canadian Customs/Immigration he'd not make it. ken

Raven Days
May 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Is a Federal warrent? If not then dont worry about it.

JGaleCPA
May 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

marlin1518
May 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

nrdsb4
May 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM

Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

It's posts like these that make me think that the best course of action is to have your friend contact a lawyer and find out the answer to this question.

I imagine that regardless of whether or not he can expect trouble on the cruise as a result of his warrant that the attorney will encourage him to pay his fine and call an end to the active arrest warrant.;)

duchessuta
May 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think I'd believe the two posters that used to be a cop and work for the state department. But I believe in the ol' saying "better safe than sorry."

lilone
May 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies. One more thing if he does pay it before we leave does a warrant get lifted as soon as its paid or should he bring the receipt?

I told her I would post her question on here and let her know what the responses were when she calls me tonight.

Thanks again!!

happygolucky72472
May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
As a police officer I would like to add; once the warrant is discovered and IF he is detained. It will be up to the agency holding the warrant to determine if they want to come pick him up (Extradite him). Most agencies will only travel certain distances.

If he is aware of the issue I too feel like he should get it resolved before going on the cruise.

Raven Days
May 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM

Really? Cause I had a friend who had a warrent in Bell County Texas and embarked and disembarked in Galveston, TX...walked right off the ship into customs with his DL and no problem what so ever.

cruisincory
May 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person:rolleyes:

Jdfireman
May 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Just contact the local PD Pay it and keep all the paper work with you that it was Paid...

StingRaysfan
May 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm a law enforcement officer and I'm with Happyg Lucky here ... I would have the boyfriend call New Jersey and find out the extradition area. For, I'm guessing a VOP DUI warrant, it's been my experience that they will not pay to get him from Florida...However, he should try to take care of it.. why live with that lurking over his shoulder.

If it's a more serious offense then what we are being told though, he should definately take care of it...

Ashpalo
May 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person:rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same thing! Priorities, priorities, priorities... :rolleyes:

2thesea
May 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
We have been on several cruise were people were detained and arrested PRIOR to boarding the ship PRIOR to the cruise departing the US. It is not pretty and why would anyone want to take that risk and drag everyone traveling with him thru that headache?

IF he pays this fine and the warrant is lifted I would make sure he has some sort of legal document stating that he is clear and the warrant lifted.

DarthGrady
May 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Really? Cause I had a friend who had a warrent in Bell County Texas and embarked and disembarked in Galveston, TX...walked right off the ship into customs with his DL and no problem what so ever.

Like happygolucky said, if the police agency that has the warrant won't extradite, then there would be no reason to detain the person.

I'm certainly far from an expert such as other posters here, but one would assume that the severity of the crime involved would dictate the action taken. I doubt the agency holding the warrant would drive very far to get someone who simply owes a fine. Doesn't quite make sense to waste money and manpower on something fairly mundane.

Raven Days
May 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Like happygolucky said, if the police agency that has the warrant won't extradite, then there would be no reason to detain the person.

I'm certainly far from an expert such as other posters here, but one would assume that the severity of the crime involved would dictate the action taken. I doubt the agency holding the warrant would drive very far to get someone who simply owes a fine. Doesn't quite make sense to waste money and manpower on something fairly mundane.

I agree however, he was never even questioned...literly walked off just like anyone else...and your right about the severity..from what I understand it was a minor traffic offence and for a failure to appear- doubtful that Bell County wants to drive all the way to Galveston for that.

Sarah@Sea
May 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM

That's what I was thinking!!! I had a friend meet me for a weekend at Disney and she let me know she had to drive careful because she had a warrent out for bounced checks at the grocery store...I was thinking OMG...if you can't afford groceries or the warrant...your ass should NOT be at Disney...buying her son every popcorn bucket from each park for his legos. Priorities!!!

Ken076
May 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm a law enforcement officer and I'm with Happyg Lucky here ... I would have the boyfriend call New Jersey and find out the extradition area. For, I'm guessing a VOP DUI warrant, it's been my experience that they will not pay to get him from Florida...However, he should try to take care of it.. why live with that lurking over his shoulder.

If it's a more serious offense then what we are being told though, he should definately take care of it...

I'm thinking the real "concern" would be that he'd probably be initially arrested and detained for a day or so while the police departments decide what, if anything, to do with him (which will probably be that the locals release him and NJ picks him up at the airport/flite indicated on his airline ticket)?

Pay the fine and keep receipts.

ken

StingRaysfan
May 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
This ain't CSI ... lol
extradition area is usually predetermined and confirmed through communications before arrests are made....saves taxpayers money....

okwriter
May 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'm reminded of an episode from the old Andy Griffith show where Aunt Bea's freezer quit working and she was reluctant to call the repairman even though she had a freezer full of beef. Andy kept telling her, "Just call the man, Aunt Bea!"

She kept saying "Well, what if this..." and "What if that..." I think she even got desperate enough to have Gomer work on it.

MORAL OF THE STORY (as it pertains to the OP's question): He should just pay the fine and move on. :rolleyes:

firefly333
May 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The only issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!! :rolleyes:

I think you are judgemental of folks who hang out on this board??!! Why would you assume that people would say that about Carnival folks? You might review your own attitude as to why you would think this.

This would have been my answer, they wouldnt have it on their computers in Miami if the arrest warrent is in another state. I dont think they will do a search of states data banks when he gets off. .. a guess I admit.

janetz
May 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
A friends granddaughter was taken into custody debarking a cruise in Florida. She failed to show up for court in Mass for a DWI and had a warrant out against her.

BoooBooKitEFk
May 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I think you are judgemental of folks who hang out on this board??!! Why would you assume that people would say that about Carnival folks? You might review your own attitude as to why you would think this.

Because not too long ago someone posted a ?? about someone with a felony record cruising with them and they got SLAMMED for even THINKING about bringing them aboard. It was clear it wasn't a sexual charge, yet ppl were adamant that someone w/ a felony in their PAST shouldn't be on the ship w/ them. THAT'S why I made the comment.......

BND
May 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I don't get why everyone's trying to figure out whether/how he can go. Why not just pay the fine? I know, silly and all expecting someone to do the right thing instead of trying to get around the law.

conchead
May 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
I was totally expecting this to be from a different OP:confused:

StingRaysfan
May 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I don't get why everyone's trying to figure out whether/how he can go. Why not just pay the fine? I know, silly and all expecting someone to do the right thing instead of trying to get around the law.

Completely agree... BUT the question was not how the OP's friends boyfriend could become an upstanding and valued member of the community and the human race...:eek::cool: :p

ManyMore
May 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
I can't understand why someone would want to live with the stress of that hanging over their head but it's not my life.

I agree there is a good chance that someone can get arrested getting off the ship, having worked at a port I saw it a LOT but... it was mostly locals that cruised that intinerary as well so that could have played into it.

lilone
May 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I cant say why he never paid nor determine his priorities because as we all know everyone has a story. One thing I do know is that he doesn't live in NJ and didn't when this happened so that might have played a part with him not paying.

Anyway as far as his girlfriend is concerned, she said it will be paid before the cruise.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Quampapetet
May 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
That's what I was thinking!!! I had a friend meet me for a weekend at Disney and she let me know she had to drive careful because she had a warrent out for bounced checks at the grocery store...I was thinking OMG...if you can't afford groceries or the warrant...your ass should NOT be at Disney...buying her son every popcorn bucket from each park for his legos. Priorities!!!

Wow, that is sad!

Someone at my church once told us about a family that asked for help from the Deacon's Fund, which is set up to help people when they are in dire need. The family said they couldn't pay their rent, so the church helped them. Then it turned out that either that month or the next month (when they asked for help again) - I don't recall which - they went out and bought a large-screen TV!! :eek::mad: Needless to say, they won't be helped by the church anymore.

douglinc@msn.com
May 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Tell him to pay up or go to jail.

Doug

okwriter
May 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Someone at my church once told us about a family that asked for help from the Deacon's Fund, which is set up to help people when they are in dire need. The family said they couldn't pay their rent, so the church helped them. Then it turned out that either that month or the next month (when they asked for help again) - I don't recall which - they went out and bought a large-screen TV!! :eek::mad: Needless to say, they won't be helped by the church anymore.

Our church has no overhead, so we're in a position to help a lot of people. Pastor always says it's God's money, so if people spend it on something they shouldn't, they'll have to answer to Him for it. ;)

OH. Sorry to get further off topic...:rolleyes:

Quampapetet
May 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Our church has no overhead, so we're in a position to help a lot of people. Pastor always says it's God's money, so if people spend it on something they shouldn't, they'll have to answer to Him for it. ;)

OH. Sorry to get further off topic...:rolleyes:

My church helps a lot of ppl, but if you're going to go abuse the system by taking money when you don't need it (thus, not getting help, but stealing money not only from the church but from others who actually may need it), then you're going to have an issue. The church needs to stay accountable, too, not just the person taking the money.

big green
May 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I can't understand why someone would want to live with the stress of that hanging over their head but it's not my life.

I agree there is a good chance that someone can get arrested getting off the ship, having worked at a port I saw it a LOT but... it was mostly locals that cruised that intinerary as well so that could have played into it.

Anyone driving under the influence should pay the price--if he does not pay it--I do hope he is arrested trying to go thru passport control.

BG

salty dingo
May 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
If it is not something that the state would extradite for, then it is of no consequence on a ship. They could not care less. Now go enjoy a crime-free cruise!

MIZZ_K
May 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Why does he not just pay the fine and have it cleared up before the cruise? seems simple enough to me.

princesskristen
May 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

This DOES happen. I personally know of a girl who was in that exact position last August in the Port of Miami. Her boyfriend was detained upon debarking the Valor. She went home alone and drove down a few days later to get him. I don't remember what his warrant was but it's definitely not a risk worth taking, especially when he/they're very aware of the existence of the warrant.

matj2000
May 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Whats the big deal? It's Carnival, probably 10% of the passengers are criminals and felons.

Sarah@Sea
May 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Wow, that is sad!

Sorry to get off the OP's topic...but my step-niece...I guess...she's as old as me...my brothers step daughter...signed her kids up for about 3 different church toy drives at Christmas...and yet they have $$$ plus my brother and his wife bought a nice Christmas. Pissed me off...btw, I have NOT returned to Disney with this friend...I was sooo irritated that trip and she knew "something" was wrong with me. As you see in my signature I'm selling stuff to pay for things I really want to do above and beyond what I originally planned on doing.

nrdsb4
May 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Whats the big deal? It's Carnival, probably 10% of the passengers are criminals and felons.

Gulp. Uh Oh...:eek:

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Don't answer this if you think I'm prying. Is it a municipal court warrant or State Superior court warrant? If municipal, what municipality? I might be able to offer some insite depending on the answer.

*Mach*
May 3rd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again

I'm sure they'll let him on the ship and I'm sure he'll get off but the may be in custody when he debarks. Just last week four folks were arrested debarking the Ecstasy in Galveston. All of them had outstanding warrants in San Antonio.

Tell him to pay the fine.

BoooBooKitEFk
May 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM

For real? Wow... (and forgive me the REST of you that live there) but possibly 10% (or more) of the population of Houston are criminals and felons. Possibly 10% (or more) of the population in ANY large city are felons. Just because you have a felony charge on your record doesn't neccesarily make you a bad person.

No, I'm not a felon, but I do know someone who is. They made a mistake early in life and paid the price (fines/probation) and then went on to become a valued member of society.

Who are YOU to judge? Seriously... it's probably a good guess that one of the reasons YOU are not a convicted felon is because you haven't been caught.

Just sayin....

Edited to note: I said POSSIBLY --- not PROBABLY

salty dingo
May 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm sure they'll let him on the ship and I'm sure he'll get off but the may be in custody when he debarks. Just last week four folks were arrested debarking the Ecstasy in Galveston. All of them had outstanding warrants in San Antonio.

Debarking in Texas with a Texas warrant is a good way to get arrested.

But I still think if the state does not extradite for that type of warrant, they will have no choice but to let him go. Still, he may be detained an it would not be a fun way to end the cruise... in cuffs. But bottom line, if the warrant is out of state and it is not a serious offense they will have no choice but to let it go.

MrCo9
May 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.One would think a cop, retired or active duty, would know it is Immigration that is concerned with this and NOT customs. It's a person we're talking about, not Cuban cigars or Jamaican rum.

nrdsb4
May 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Somewhere I read that customs and immigration have merged into one entity. Could be why he said that.

comeon530
May 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
This thread makes me just want to slap myself in the head. The person mentioned by the OP hasn't paid the price, and has an arrest warrant. It boggles my mind that someone would even consider taking a cruise when he has an arrest warrant. I was glad to see in a later post that he has decided to take care of it before the cruise.

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Somewhere I read that customs and immigration have merged into one entity. Could be why he said that.

ICE = Immigrations and Customs Enforcement

marlin1518
May 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you people for standing by what I already knew !!!!!!

MrCo9
May 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Somewhere I read that customs and immigration have merged into one entity. Could be why he said that.Well I'll be. They are one and the same (http://www.cbp.gov/) now. Has it been that long since I left US soil? No, I was in Jamaica in December and went through 2 separate lines in Miami, one for Customs and one for Immigration.

cruisincory
May 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Well I'll be. They are one and the same (http://www.cbp.gov/) now. Has it been that long since I left US soil? No, I was in Jamaica in December and went through 2 separate lines in Miami, one for Customs and one for Immigration.

:rolleyes:Thats really weird. Even on our 1st cruise(out of Tampa) in 2008 we only had to go through 1 line. Same for our cruise last year. (Port Canaveral)

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Well I'll be. They are one and the same (http://www.cbp.gov/) now. Has it been that long since I left US soil? No, I was in Jamaica in December and went through 2 separate lines in Miami, one for Customs and one for Immigration.

It's been that way for almost ten years, I think. US citizens simply go through Customs when re-entering the US. Non-citizens have to go through Immigration.

amyj23
May 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM

Generally, criminals make stupid decisions. I was a probation officer for three years. They spend their money on frivolous things and then they can't pay their fines/court costs. But this is the same guy who drank and didn't take a taxi. So at least he's consistent about something -- his stupid decisions.
And I can't believe people on this thread are telling her that it's probably fine. HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!? Why would you give someone false hope????

nrdsb4
May 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Generally, criminals make stupid decisions. I was a probation officer for three years. They spend their money on frivolous things and then they can't pay their fines/court costs. But this is the same guy who drank and didn't take a taxi. So at least he's consistent about something -- his stupid decisions.
And I can't believe people on this thread are telling her that it's probably fine. HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!? Why would you give someone false hope????

Posters often do that. Whenever there is a thread where someone wonders if it will okay for their kids to skip a week of school, rather than encourage them to check their school district policy, there is a chorus of posts saying "It's no problem!!! They can just make up the work!!! Have a great cruise!!!" Completely ignoring the fact that their school district policies could be completely different from someone else's.

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM

While I certainly agree with your assessment and sentiment and am a NJ resident and thus would like to see his fines paid promptly, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that if he's not cruising out if Port Bayonne, the State of NJ or the municipality in question *mist likely* would not spend the time and resources extradicting him. I could be surprised though. They very well may. We have a bit of a budget crunch going on here.

amyj23
May 3rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
While I certainly agree with your assessment and sentiment and am a NJ resident and thus would like to see his fines paid promptly, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that if he's not cruising out if Port Bayonne, the State of NJ or the municipality in question *mist likely* would not spend the time and resources extradicting him. I could be surprised though. They very well may. We have a bit of a budget crunch going on here.

I wouldn't doubt that NJ wouldn't come pick him up -- not worth it for such a minor crime. BUT, they would most likely detain him anyway until NJ told the Sheriff's Dept that they weren't coming. I imagine being detained for a day or two by the Sheriff's department may put a kink in their plans. Especially if there's a flight involved. Not a chance I'd like to take. But then again, I don't travel with fugitives (I know that's an exaggeration) ;)...

marlin1518
May 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't doubt that NJ wouldn't come pick him up -- not worth it for such a minor crime. BUT, they would most likely detain him anyway until NJ told the Sheriff's Dept that they weren't coming. I imagine being detained for a day or two by the Sheriff's department may put a kink in their plans. Especially if there's a flight involved. Not a chance I'd like to take. But then again, I don't travel with fugitives (I know that's an exaggeration) ;)...

Amy I couldn't have said it any better !! They have up to 48 hours for them to come get him. If they do not get him, then he is released from the port city he was arrested at.

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't want to find out myself. But ... I do have a couple of friends I can ask come morning.

comeon530
May 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Posters often do that. Whenever there is a thread where someone wonders if it will okay for their kids to skip a week of school, rather than encourage them to check their school district policy, there is a chorus of posts saying "It's no problem!!! They can just make up the work!!! Have a great cruise!!!" Completely ignoring the fact that their school district policies could be completely different from someone else's.

Yep. I sometimes worry about people taking some of the advice they are given here. That being said, there is a ton of wonderful advice about cruising here. Just not 'can I take my kids to Mexico against my ex's will?'
'If I am on probation, can I enter Canada' 'I am an escaped con. Can I cruise without getting caught?' Always someone saying to go for it. No probolem mon.

LemurCat
May 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yep. I sometimes worry about people taking some of the advice they are given here. That being said, there is a ton of wonderful advice about cruising here. Just not 'can I take my kids to Mexico against my ex's will?'
'If I am on probation, can I enter Canada' 'I am an escaped con. Can I cruise without getting caught?' Always someone saying to go for it. No probolem mon.

Come for the excursion suggestions, stay for the questionable legal advice.

firefly333
May 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM

Im still wondering if they would check for out of state warrents, do you know?

that being said ... . why would someone take a cruise who cant afford to pay his own fines?? ... but I know that doesnt answer if he can or not.

songbird1329
May 3rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
i don't practice criminal law, and will defer to law enforcement officials on this thread about warrants....but....

don't rely on "legal advice" you read on this board -- not even from me, and I'm a lawyer. I don't know all the real details of your situation, I can speak only in generalities. my best advice is that for a serious situation -- like an outstanding warrant -- hire an attorney who does that sort of work.

and my personal opinion -- I wouldn't neglect an outstanding warrant. it can come back to bite you when you least expect it.

waldocruiser1
May 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
It's posts like these that make me think that the best course of action is to have your friend contact a lawyer and find out the answer to this question.

I imagine that regardless of whether or not he can expect trouble on the cruise as a result of his warrant that the attorney will encourage him to pay his fine and call an end to the active arrest warrant.;)

Seams like that would be the best answer, maybe he should use the cruise money to pay the bill and cruise later.

DocF
May 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
The safest action would be for the person to clear the warrant now. If this is a felony (and failure to pay a DUI fine in my state is a felony) he may be arrested upon return. It depends on the efficiency of the courts that issued the warrant.

Doc

MrCo9
May 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Why would you give someone false hope????Because it's fun to read the "We had a GREAT cruise, but my friends boyfriend got detained when we went through Immigration....." threads.

duchessuta
May 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Because it's fun to read the "We had a GREAT cruise, but my friends boyfriend got detained when we went through Immigration....." threads.

ROFLMAO!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh!

firefly333
May 3rd, 2010, 11:09 PM
i don't practice criminal law, and will defer to law enforcement officials on this thread about warrants....but....

don't rely on "legal advice" you read on this board -- not even from me, and I'm a lawyer. I don't know all the real details of your situation, I can speak only in generalities. my best advice is that for a serious situation -- like an outstanding warrant -- hire an attorney who does that sort of work.

and my personal opinion -- I wouldn't neglect an outstanding warrant. it can come back to bite you when you least expect it.

if he cant afford to pay his fines, he probably cant afford to hire a lawyer, so we have all us ameteur sleuths.

saskcruiser
May 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo....I guess your friend is sitting shotgun on the Jeep excursion you guys are taking.

Quampapetet
May 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Sorry to get off the OP's topic...but my step-niece...I guess...she's as old as me...my brothers step daughter...signed her kids up for about 3 different church toy drives at Christmas...and yet they have $$$ plus my brother and his wife bought a nice Christmas. Pissed me off...btw, I have NOT returned to Disney with this friend...I was sooo irritated that trip and she knew "something" was wrong with me. As you see in my signature I'm selling stuff to pay for things I really want to do above and beyond what I originally planned on doing.

Wow, that's terrible about your step-niece! I don't understand why somebody would do that!!

I definitely don't blame you for not going to Disney again with that friend. I have/had a friend who takes advantage of others after she blew her personal savings while not working (did things like buy crap off QVC and from fairs and stuff) and I don't have much to do with her anymore 'cause she took advantage one too many times. I brought it to her attention, but she totally denied true things and then started saying untrue things about me in "defense". Sad. :(

I wish you very well in your eBay ventures so you can do the things you want to do!!

spyder209
May 4th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I have been a cop for almost 10 years, so here's my 2 cents. No one would even know that he had a warrant unless he was entered into the NCIC system for wanted persons. Most agencies will not enter someone for a bench warrant for D.U.I, which is what he has if he failed to show up for court or pay the fine. With that said, he needs to pay it to be safe. If he can afford a cruise he should pay his fine. Besides, who wants that hanging over their head while on vacation?

kf657
May 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
This thread makes me just want to slap myself in the head. The person mentioned by the OP hasn't paid the price, and has an arrest warrant. It boggles my mind that someone would even consider taking a cruise when he has an arrest warrant. I was glad to see in a later post that he has decided to take care of it before the cruise.ly

HURRAH! About time someone had the nerve to say it! Why would you even want to take the chance traveling with a person that obvious has this issue and hasn't taken care of it...

StingRaysfan
May 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Im still wondering if they would check for out of state warrents, do you know?

that being said ... . why would someone take a cruise who cant afford to pay his own fines?? ... but I know that doesnt answer if he can or not.

Just to answer your question Firefly since no one addressed it directly...
Yes.. there is a national database for warrants as the previous poster mentioned called NCIC... Warrants from all states will be in there.

jessemon
May 4th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I didn't know there were this many lawyers to get advice from on CC....:rolleyes:

dustyroad
May 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM
onI don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The ly issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

i am wondering about this question. homeland security wont let passengers just go too the port and take a cruise anymore the day the ship leaves. there must be some kind of a check or something if they are enforcing that. i would hate too have him get too the dock and be turned away. and i agree with you about the passport. he might have a problem there. a interesting question and im sure others will be waiting to find out what the best advice is. i would be calling the cruiseline and asking them. better safe than sorry. and yes, i would take care of the problem before i plan too go. just my opinions only :)

Broncs7
May 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
We went on a cruise out of Galveston last year with my sister in law and her boyfriend. No probs getting on the boat. Great cruise. 1st thing in the morning when we got back to Galveston, security came up to his room and arrested the boyfriend on a warrant he apparently didn't even know he had. He came from AZ and ended up having to stay in TX jail for a full week til they would work out extraditing him back to AZ

riverdees05
May 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM
He should take the money for the cruise and pay off his fine, IMHO.

Aknot
May 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
i would hate too have him get too the dock and be turned away.

I am the exact opposite. I would love to see him get there and get turned away.

I just cant fathom the way people think when it comes to stuff like this. (not you the person and or people that would put stuff like this off)

Oh why would you want so and so to have their vacation ruined.... I wouldn't, I want so and so to take responsibility.

It just boggles the mind.

ibm_db2
May 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
He is going to get arrested, because it's from Jersey.

Traveler353
May 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Apparently he has never heard of "Personal Responsibility".

hotrod1954
May 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again
It will show up on the customs computers you might get on but they will get you when you come back to the U.S My step daughter was detained for a bad check warrant. They called the county the warrant was issued in they told them to let her go but to report monday morning to clear the matter up. I assume they ckecked for warrants while we were gone. She was detained at customs.

keishashadow
May 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have been a cop for almost 10 years, so here's my 2 cents. No one would even know that he had a warrant unless he was entered into the NCIC system for wanted persons. Most agencies will not enter someone for a bench warrant for D.U.I, which is what he has if he failed to show up for court or pay the fine. With that said, he needs to pay it to be safe. If he can afford a cruise he should pay his fine. Besides, who wants that hanging over their head while on vacation?

my son's a police officer in PA, running the DL produces all wants/warrants on record

assume the dude's DL is suspended anyway since he didn't pay DUI fine:confused: should pop up when he produces it as ID when he cruises i'd think

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM
my son's a police officer in PA, running the DL produces all wants/warrants on record

assume the dude's DL is suspended anyway since he didn't pay DUI fine:confused: should pop up when he produces it as ID when he cruises i'd think

License might not be suspended (depending on the deal he cut with the judge), or it might not be a state that has reciprocity with NJ. It's been a while since I took my permit exam, so I can't remember who has reciprocity and who doesn't.

keishashadow
May 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
License might not be suspended (depending on the deal he cut with the judge), or it might not be a state that has reciprocity with NJ. It's been a while since I took my permit exam, so I can't remember who has reciprocity and who doesn't.

it might not've been 'originally' suspended...

u can bet the farm it is if he didn't pay his fine & miss his followup summons/court date...that's where the warrant comes into play

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
it might not've been 'originally' suspended...

u can bet the farm it is if he didn't pay his fine & miss his followup summons/court date...that's where the warrant comes into play

True that.

We really shouldn't be playing armchair attorneys though. OP's friend needs to get this cleared up ASAP or decide to suffer what consequences may come.

truchattycathy
May 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I agree with previous posters, he will be arrested when returning to the U.S. port.

Shelbyjane56
May 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Id be more worried about why is the girlfriend not telling him he must take care of his problem before she will go on a cruise with him. And why hasnt he paid it??? But I agree with others, getting on would probably be easy, getting off, he just might end up behind bars with with a really HIGH fine to pay

COP
May 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Along with other Law Enforcement who answered on this thread, I will say:

A. The Border Protection enforcement team when they run your friend will see the warrant.

B. The county and court systems after being contacted may decline to extradite the person. If that is the case the BP will allow him to depart. Your friend may be detained for a short time until that decision is made by the county.

C. Most cases the county will not pay to extradite the person unless the violation is a felony offense.

D. I agree with the other posters, he should pay and keep the receipt that he has paid his fine and fees and keep it on his person when he boards and gets off the ship. Keep in mind it does take a few days to get the warrant off the court record and out of NCIC system.

COP

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I didn't know there were this many lawyers to get advice from on CC....:rolleyes:

I'm not an attorney. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm sure now that we've given the OP our advice, he will finally pay his fine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? (NOW I'M ROLLING MY EYES) The guy broke the law in the first place, and now he's skipping out on the fine which has resulted in a warrant. He has totally blown off LAW ENFORCEMENT but you think he's going to take advice from CC posters?!??! Get a clue, people... And trust me, criminals usually have foggy memories about what's REALLY outstanding or on their rap sheet. You don't know how many times I asked probationers about their criminal past, and they would give me half or none of what was actually on there. So all he has TOLD you is he has an outstanding fine for a DUI, but he probably has a Violation of Probation on file, because he wouldn't have gotten off of probation with outstanding fines. I'm just glad he's not part of my group! Can I get an "amen?"

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure now that we've given the OP our advice, he will finally pay his fine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? (NOW I'M ROLLING MY EYES) The guy broke the law in the first place, and now he's skipping out on the fine which has resulted in a warrant. He has totally blown off LAW ENFORCEMENT but you think he's going to take advice from CC posters?!??! Get a clue, people... And trust me, criminals usually have foggy memories about what's REALLY outstanding or on their rap sheet. You don't know how many times I asked probationers about their criminal past, and they would give me half or none of what was actually on there. So all he has TOLD you is he has an outstanding fine for a DUI, but he probably has a Violation of Probation on file, because he wouldn't have gotten off of probation with outstanding fines. I'm just glad he's not part of my group! Can I get an "amen?"

How about a "Word!"

Seriously though, yeah, this guy sounds more and more like my cousin. We didn't know how many arrests he'd had until he got nailed in PA and talked my brother's friend into representing him. Between the arrests he's "forgotten about" and the ones that "didn't count" (for reasons only he understands), it was almost comical. Except not really. He's currently living on a side of a mountain in VT growing "organic chickens".

duchessuta
May 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I'm not an attorney. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

One of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. :D:D:D Thanks for the laugh!!

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
It just floors me that people can take one miniscule part of someones life and paint them with the broadest brush possible, assuming the worst about his character. There are a great many unknowns as to what this entails. It could very well be the one spot on his record, and it may also be very recent.

How about letting everyone look into your closet, and let us have a field day with that on CC?

Kurbanfan
May 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
It just floors me that people can take one miniscule part of someones life and paint them with the broadest brush possible, assuming the worst about his character. There are a great many unknowns as to what this entails. It could very well be the one spot on his record, and it may also be very recent.

How about letting everyone look into your closet, and let us have a field day with that on CC?

One thing is pretty clear....he has at least one warrant that needs to be paid and he is aware of it;)

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Go for it, I have no skeletons in my closet. Though I do have some shirts that need to have buttons replaced.

This isn't "one miniscule part", even with the barest bones of information the OP has shared with us. If it was just one miniscule part, they would have taken care of this and moved on for the wiser. Instead, they are stretching it from being one miniscule part into something else.

LHP
May 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM

What amazes me more is that folks will come on here and post this to begin with.

Even if it is just one spot....that one spot should be cleaned before he goes on cruises...or anything else. He is aware of it (or the question would not have been posted here) and being aware and not handling sounds about as "worst" as someone can get in the personal responsibility department.

Kurbanfan
May 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Id be more worried about why is the girlfriend not telling him he must take care of his problem before she will go on a cruise with him. And why hasnt he paid it??? But I agree with others, getting on would probably be easy, getting off, he just might end up behind bars with with a really HIGH fine to pay

My bets on the girlfriend paying it;)

jules815
May 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I don't understand how anybody could go on a vacation with something like that hanging over their head. I would be losing sleep.

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Go for it, I have no skeletons in my closet. Though I do have some shirts that need to have buttons replaced.

This isn't "one miniscule part", even with the barest bones of information the OP has shared with us. If it was just one miniscule part, they would have taken care of this and moved on for the wiser. Instead, they are stretching it from being one miniscule part into something else.

But, it is (IMO) a small part of who this person is. Most people have moments that are not their proudest, but otherwise are fine and honorable people. I guess I just don't like seeing folks blasted by others when very little is known, people who wouldn't pass the same judgemental test. But that is just me.

And my closet is a mess :eek:. Beautiful day to tackle it though.

Kurbanfan
May 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
But, it is (IMO) a small part of who this person is. Most people have moments that are not their proudest, but otherwise are fine and honorable people. I guess I just don't like seeing folks blasted by others when very little is known, people who wouldn't pass the same judgemental test. But that is just me.

Being aware of having a warrant and not paying it is not just a moment;)
Having it get that far is not just a moment.......just sayin.....

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Being aware of having a warrant and not paying it is not just a moment;)
Having it get that far is not just a moment.......just sayin.....

I see your point, and understand it. For me, I try not to jump to conclusions (even when they seem obvious) until I know more. This works for ME, YMMV. But it does make for an interesting read...

Back to my messy closet :eek::D

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Hmmm, miniscule? It won't seem miniscule when he is sitting in jail in Miami. And when looking in my closet, you won't find criminal offenses. But we're not talking about someone who made a mistake and did their time/paid for it. We're talking about someone who committed a crime, was sentenced and fined, and skipped out on it. So let's not get started on this guy's "character." And as far as unknowns? Let's look at what is known.
- He committed a crime
- He was sentenced and/or given a fine
- He didn't pay the fine (for whatever reason)
- He is going on a cruise which either he or someone else paid for instead of paying off this fine.
What "unknowns" would change our mind about this guy's character? State of NJ probably doesn't care about the "unknowns" either.

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hmmm, miniscule? It won't seem miniscule when he is sitting in jail in Miami. And when looking in my closet, you won't find criminal offenses. But we're not talking about someone who made a mistake and did their time/paid for it. We're talking about someone who committed a crime, was sentenced and fined, and skipped out on it. So let's not get started on this guy's "character." And as far as unknowns? Let's look at what is known.
- He committed a crime
- He was sentenced and/or given a fine
- He didn't pay the fine (for whatever reason)
- He is going on a cruise which either he or someone else paid for instead of paying off this fine.
What "unknowns" would change our mind about this guy's character? State of NJ probably doesn't care about the "unknowns" either.

He may well be the scum of the earth for all I know. What I do know (that works for me) is rushing to judgement is just not my style. I'll stand back and watch, then form my judgements. This is not how many people work, and I'm ok with that. You pointed out what is 'known', and that is good. I stand back because we don't know the 'unknown'. Would the 'unknowns' make a difference - maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know. I just don't feel the need to be judgemental on limited information, but again, that is just me.

I'm not right, and you're not wrong. We just look at things differently :)

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM
He may well be the scum of the earth for all I know. What I do know (that works for me) is rushing to judgement is just not my style. I'll stand back and watch, then form my judgements. This is not how many people work, and I'm ok with that. You pointed out what is 'known', and that is good. I stand back because we don't know the 'unknown'. Would the 'unknowns' make a difference - maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know. I just don't feel the need to be judgemental on limited information, but again, that is just me.

I'm not right, and you're not wrong. We just look at things differently :)

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah...

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah...

OK, now I'm judging based on little information. You are a mean girl. Glad that works for you.

kyrisong1
May 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I think he should try it and then you should come back and tell us all how he fared;)

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
ok, now i'm judging based on little information. You are a mean girl. Glad that works for you.

.:d.

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Oh, I'm well aware of that (and eternally grateful that no one's caught them on tape ...). But let's be honest. This isn't a moment. It's an on-going thing. Yes, little is known, but what is known doesn't paint the prettiest picture. And I'm not blasting this guy to the deepest circle of hell for having been nailed on a DUI -- I actually happen to have some friends who have one strike for that, some even two. The worrisome part is the knowledge of an outstanding warrant and the apparent lack of desire to rectify the situation. *THAT* is what paints a rather sad and unpleasant picture for me.

I have cats for that. They like to go in and kick anything laying on the floor out into the middle of my floor.

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Oh, I'm well aware of that (and eternally grateful that no one's caught them on tape ...). But let's be honest. This isn't a moment. It's an on-going thing. Yes, little is known, but what is known doesn't paint the prettiest picture. And I'm not blasting this guy to the deepest circle of hell for having been nailed on a DUI -- I actually happen to have some friends who have one strike for that, some even two. The worrisome part is the knowledge of an outstanding warrant and the apparent lack of desire to rectify the situation. *THAT* is what paints a rather sad and unpleasant picture for me.

Excellent point, and I agree. It just works better for me if I take my time. Am I slow? Maybe :eek: Just want things very clear in my mind. I (and most of us) have seen people unjustly accused of something. I'll just back off on this one as there is little info.

I have cats for that. They like to go in and kick anything laying on the floor out into the middle of my floor.

OH NO!!! My cat doesn't do that!! Why? She only goes in the closet when it is thundering and needs to hunker down. Is she falling down on her job? She is old (17) so maybe she thinks she's paid her dues?

amyj23
May 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
OK, now I'm judging based on little information. You are a mean girl. Glad that works for you.

:D
(My last attempt at an emoticon didn't work)

kyrisong1
May 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM
keep in mind OP that those of us that are telling you he should be fine and should go for it are also people that post stuff like "Am I the only one that loves to tape people running for the ship when they come back late and drunk in Cozumel?"
LOL Just saying..........:eek:

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
OH NO!!! My cat doesn't do that!! Why? She only goes in the closet when it is thundering and needs to hunker down. Is she falling down on her job? She is old (17) so maybe she thinks she's paid her dues?

My 17 year old cat also like to crawl into draws and kick things out of them too. She's getting a little around-the-bend.

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
My 17 year old cat also like to crawl into draws and kick things out of them too. She's getting a little around-the-bend.

Not around-the-bend yet. As long as she is still racing up and down the stairs, I'm happy.

LemurCat
May 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Not around-the-bend yet. As long as she is still racing up and down the stairs, I'm happy.

Mine is still beating up the other cats, even though they're both at least twice her size. You don't mess with the queen, man. She brings the pain!

goldwinger88
May 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I find it hilarious how the Armchair Street Lawyers have emerged and converged.

In a nutshell. The individual needs to get with the authorities and get it cleared up before he tries to leave the country.

What kind of friend is he If he is willing to cause undue concern and problems for those traveling with him because of his lack of responsibility..

newcatintown
May 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mine is still beating up the other cats, even though they're both at least twice her size. You don't mess with the queen, man. She brings the pain!

I think we both know who rules the roost :eek::D:p

saskcruiser
May 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Friend: Dude, I have a warrant for a DUI and I am worried it might screw up our trip.

Me: You better get that **** cleared up.

The End

lilone
June 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hey everyone, We are back from our Destiny cruise. I wanted to post and let everyone know the outcome of things regarding the warrant. He DID NOT pay it off before we left and NOTHING happened. The man was not arrested, detained or questioned about his warrrant.

truchattycathy
June 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Glad everything went well.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

amethyst08
June 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone, We are back from our Destiny cruise. I wanted to post and let everyone know the outcome of things regarding the warrant. He DID NOT pay it off before we left and NOTHING happened. The man was not arrested, detained or questioned about his warrrant.

I would have been scared to take that chance. Glad it worked out though.

davex100
June 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I think I'd believe the two posters that used to be a cop and work for the state department. But I believe in the ol' saying "better safe than sorry."

I wouldn't believe the one that said they was a cop because they also said it was "Customs" that does the check and immigration has nothing to do with customs.

Jeafl
June 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Those of us that have had family members killed by a drunk driver have a hard time seeing any kind of DUI as "miniscule". Just sayin'...

elcuchio24
June 29th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Wow. This could only be a CCL thread! I don't know. Anything I guessed would be a guess.....I would contact the DA/courthouse whatever and find out from someone who KNOWS. If he's all set, then you can travel with no worries, if they arrest him at the port the old "well, the guys on CC said it would be ok...." won't get you very far.

WOWGirl
June 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
When we went on a cruise, our friend had a common name similar to a terrorist on a list. When re-entering the country, customs took him and he was held that whole day trying to sort it out with them. Arrest warrant, I would say, he should just clear it up, or else you have the possibility of being held.

chickie_mite
June 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM

That bothers me on so many levels.

elcuchio24
June 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Yeah! Congrats! Lets celebrate at the bar, who's driving?

Cthulu Fhtagn
June 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't believe the one that said they was a cop because they also said it was "Customs" that does the check and immigration has nothing to do with customs.

The Elder God has inquired as to how this works with a friend, the local police chief. According to said chief, ICE runs the names and warrants will either come up or not, depending on the type of warrant and the state or municipality issuing it. If a warrant comes up, the local police are called and asked if they'd like said suspect detained. The local police can either decline or send someone to pick up said suspect. Not every municipality has the manpower on a weekend to devote to sending an officer and a cop car to pick up someone on a warrant, especially if it's a local bench warrant.

grammax3
June 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I wouldn't be bragging about the fact that this guy was not arrested. In my opinion you are guilty of harboring someone like this. After all, it is only a DUI.....DUI'S KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE EVERYDAY! So, be proud of yourself....turn the guy in.....you know where he is!

chickie_mite
June 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Throwing this out there b/c have no clue as to what an answer might be:

Is it possible to provide this information to Carnival (i.e, sail date, ship) and have them or law enforcement identify the offender? How tough could it be to determine someone who has an arrest warrant? Aren't passports linked to SSNs?

ryano
June 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
The Elder God has inquired as to how this works with a friend, the local police chief. According to said chief, ICE runs the names and warrants will either come up or not, depending on the type of warrant and the state or municipality issuing it. If a warrant comes up, the local police are called and asked if they'd like said suspect detained. The local police can either decline or send someone to pick up said suspect. Not every municipality has the manpower on a weekend to devote to sending an officer and a cop car to pick up someone on a warrant, especially if it's a local bench warrant.

This is correct info as I have experienced it first hand.

My first cruise ever on Carnival is the reason I found out someone had used my name and social security number when they got arrested in Kentucky, a state that I have never even been to mind you. Also, I have never been arrested in my LIFE!

A warrant showed up and ICE called the local police department in KY and eventually even faxed a picture once I boarded the ship and of course it was a case of mistaken identity and I was not detained and allowed to board the ship.

Once returning to US, Customs swiped my passport and looked at me and then took my passport and DISAPPEARED :eek: She shortly returned and asked me was I SURE that I was Ryan L********* three times before welcoming me back to the US.

johnjen
June 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Happy for you nothing did happen - but wow, this opens a big question mark on our nation's ability to catch criminals. So why didn't he responsibly pay off his fine while risking everyone's vacation?

Cthulu Fhtagn
June 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Throwing this out there b/c have no clue as to what an answer might be:

Is it possible to provide this information to Carnival (i.e, sail date, ship) and have them or law enforcement identify the offender? How tough could it be to determine someone who has an arrest warrant? Aren't passports linked to SSNs?

The Elder God is under the impression that the person in question has already sailed and returned home.

The Elder God points out that if the agency issuing the warrant does not want to pick the person up, there is nothing Carnival or ICE can do about it but let the person go on their way.

Cruzaholic41
June 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Here is what happens. He may be allowed to board. However, all persons are run through a CBP database and checked for warrants. The minute your ship pulls back in to a U.S. port, the person is arrested by CBP officers and turned over to local authorities. I know this because I work in this career field.

If the warrant is not extraditable from Florida, he will be left alone. However, if it is extraditable, you will be returning alone. In your case, it seems it was not extraditable.

kf657
June 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM

This is so wrong...I would not want to travel with a person that irresponsible.....I just feel this person can now chuckle about how he is beating the system...wait until you lose someone by a druck driver--!!

zenful6219
June 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Last September, on the Carnival Ecstasy, debarkation was delayed by almost 2.5 hours because two women had outstanding warrants. After repeated announcements over the PA system, the women finally surrendered themselves to agents.

chickie_mite
June 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Here is what happens. He may be allowed to board. However, all persons are run through a CBP database and checked for warrants. The minute your ship pulls back in to a U.S. port, the person is arrested by CBP officers and turned over to local authorities. I know this because I work in this career field.

If the warrant is not extraditable from Florida, he will be left alone. However, if it is extraditable, you will be returning alone. In your case, it seems it was not extraditable.

My college age step-niece had a "hit and run" accident (she hit a car in a parking lot, drove off). She was put on probation b/c it was her first offense, minor damage to the other vehicle.

Fast forward about 6 months, she goes to Brazil for a missions trip. She is able to board the flight in the US, no problem. When she gets into Brazil, they detain her and absolutely will not allow her to enter the country because she's on probation. She literally stayed in a prison for 24 hours until her parents could arrange another ticket out of the country.

I still think my step brother didn't tell us the whole story behind the "hit and run." I can't understand why she would be detained for such a "minor" offense.

Cruzaholic41
June 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I still think my step brother didn't tell us the whole story behind the "hit and run." I can't understand why she would be detained for such a "minor" offense.

I don't know how she would be held in Brazil over a State probation on a misdemeanor charge, unless a warrant was issued for violating the probation. Oh yea. There's more to it. She probably didn't clear it with her probation officer before leaving the country.

Cthulu Fhtagn
June 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't know how she would be held in Brazil over a State probation on a misdemeanor charge, unless a warrant was issued for violating the probation. Oh yea. There's more to it. She probably didn't clear it with her probation officer before leaving the country.

The Elder God points out that it's possible she did not have the correct form of entry visa (tourist visa versus missionary visa), or that she did not have the required Certificate of Good Conduct signed and consularized by the State Police. Or possibly the State Police would not furnish said certificate. But that is merely speculation on the Elder God's part.

Ashpalo
June 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Last September, on the Carnival Ecstasy, debarkation was delayed by almost 2.5 hours because two women had outstanding warrants. After repeated announcements over the PA system, the women finally surrendered themselves to agents.

You must have been on the same sailing as me!! I was ready to go search the two of them out myself. I didn't mind being "stuck" on the ship... I was just REALLY tired of hearing their names over and over again!!