Decided to taxi through Boston, but need help with timing so I don't miss the ship!

MalibuCA

We have two days in Boston in October on the Crystal Symphony. I now have my itinerary set for those two days, but I need help in timing my return taxi trip to the ship on the second day so that the ship doesn't sail without me! If you can, please help!

We will be in Boston on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, we are going to visit the JFK Library in the a.m. and walk the Freedom Trail in the p.m. I will taxi to both. On Saturday, we will begin the day at Harvard and Cambridge, then visit the Museum of Fine Arts. My question is: If I want to be back at the ship by 4:00 p.m., what time should I leave the Museum of Fine Arts (remember, this is a Saturday?)

Now, in the event we have inclement weather on Friday, but the sun is predicted to shine on Saturday, then I am changing my itinerary as follows: On Friday, we will visit the JFK Library in the a.m. and the Museum of Fine Arts in the p.m. On Saturday, we would begin our day on the Freedom Trail and visit Harvard and Cambridge in the afternoon. My question is: If I want to be back at the ship by 4:00 p.m., what time should I leave Harvard Square? Are there taxis easily available at Harvard Square on Saturday afternoons, or might this present a problem?

Thanks again for your help!

Shelley:)

We have two days in Boston in October on the Crystal Symphony. I now have my itinerary set for those two days, but I need help in timing my return taxi trip to the ship on the second day so that the ship doesn't sail without me! If you can, please help!

We will be in Boston on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, we are going to visit the JFK Library in the a.m. and walk the Freedom Trail in the p.m. I will taxi to both. On Saturday, we will begin the day at Harvard and Cambridge, then visit the Museum of Fine Arts. My question is: If I want to be back at the ship by 4:00 p.m., what time should I leave the Museum of Fine Arts (remember, this is a Saturday?) I would leave the Museum of Fine Arts no later than 3:30. That means you have to call a cab by 3 pm

Now, in the event we have inclement weather on Friday, but the sun is predicted to shine on Saturday, then I am changing my itinerary as follows: On Friday, we will visit the JFK Library in the a.m. and the Museum of Fine Arts in the p.m. On Saturday, we would begin our day on the Freedom Trail and visit Harvard and Cambridge in the afternoon. My question is: If I want to be back at the ship by 4:00 p.m., what time should I leave Harvard Square? Are there taxis easily available at Harvard Square on Saturday afternoons, or might this present a problem? There should be cabs, but I honestly don't know. You should allow 30 minutes. If things are not working out, hop on the Red Line.

Thanks again for your help!

Shelley:)

If you do the Freedom Trail and then Harvard Square, if you do it in reverse, you can end up at Park St. and just take the red line to Harvard Square. You should also have a cell phone and the phone numbers of several cab companies. Perhaps someone will post some suggestions. I've used Bay State taxi, but not for many years.

Thanks, 138east. We actually are planning to walk the Freedom Trail in reverse. It would definitely be easy to pick up the MBTA at Park. I will check out the taxi company you recommend. Does anyone else have any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Shelley

Here's another thought about transportation. We have been talking about water taxis on other threads. If you are doing JFK Library and FreedomTrail, you might want to look into a water taxi pass for that day. It will pick you up at Black Falcon and go by water to the JFK museum and then from JFK to anywhere along the waterfront close to the Freedom Trail. The Rowes Wharf Water Taxi has a day pass for $25/pp.

Cabs are usually pretty easy to find on most streets. If you are ever having trouble, I always find a hotel or bar, they can usually get you a cab.

One thing to know, Cambridge cabs are usually cash-only, while Boston cabs are required to offer you a credit card option. Don't believe them if they say the machine is broke, they can still take them. Also Cambridge cabs can't pick up in Boston, and Boston can't pick up in Cambridge. I'll give you the # I use to get cabs all the time, but it will only work in Boston. 617-268-1313

And from Harvard Square, the T is quickest IMO. No traffic and no lights.

Thanks, bostoncruisegal -- I will keep the # in my wallet. So many issues with cab drivers re cash vs. credit card. At least I know that it is all in US currency! That makes things easy!

Shelley:D

Archived