PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica Unrest: Impact on Cruise Travel?

LauraS
May 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Jamaica Unrest: Impact on Cruise Travel?

Read the entire news article... (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3889)

LHP
May 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you Laura for bringing this to our attention.

We were just in Mo Bay and I had no idea.....:eek:

deepnite10
May 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
has there been any cancellation s due to the unrest?

im reading on Comcast News that there have been several
deaths as gov. troops battled combatants loyal to a
drug lord,Christopher 'Dudus' Coke

Ken-SanDiego
May 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I just returned from Jamaica aboard Carnival Destiny. We sailed into Ocho Rios on May 24 just as the hostilities were breaking out.

I was watching CNN several hours before we arrived when I heard the breaking news. The United States had just issued a travel advisory recommending that U.S. citizens avoid Jamaica. As a seasoned Carnival veteran (Platinum +) I knew if there was the slightest risk to the passengers, the Captain would arrange for an alternate port of call or just give everyone an on-board credit and we would have another day at sea.

As we arrived in port I was happy to see Jamaica again, still in all it's tropical glory, without a whiff of trouble. My ATV Excursion with Chukka Caribbean Adventures went off without a hitch and was just as fun and exciting as it was the first time back in 2007.

My group all took morning tours so we could meet up at Margaritaville for some swimming and partying. The DJ was in full swing and so was the party. We returned to the Destiny feeling like we had a full day of fun in Jamaica.

The only advisory I could offer is the unauthorized street vendors new tactic. The women will come up to you and tell how beautiful your hair is and offer to weave a few strands of hair, with no mention of price. I use 'offer' loosely. They have their hands in your hair before you can say no. Next thing you know they have done 3 or 4 weaves and demand $5 per weave. Stay away from unauthorized street vendors.

In summary, my trip to Ocho Rios, Jamaica was unaffected by the conflict in Kingston.

angelextreme
May 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that update Ken. We will be traveling there in a few weeks with my two children, we have been wondering if we should stay closer to the ship or take the ATV like we had planned. You eased my mind a bit. :) Glad you had fun. Can't wait until we are there!