Merida with younger kids

gt1701a

Has anyone done Merida with younger kids? We are cruising on the Triumph in December and my boys will be 2 and almost 4. We took them to the Dz. ruins last November and they loved it. We may end of taking them there. We will do a beach day in Cozumel.

We would probably hire a taxi to take us there since I think that would be easier then trying to keep them entertained on a bus. Any ideas on what that would run us? Any suggestions on what to do in Merida with younger kids. I know that their are some historic buildings to look at and maybe some parks?

Thanks for your help & input.

gt. Taxi to Merida's historical zone is about $25 each way. Local modern bus is about $3.00 pp RT. Seems that I have read, little kids are free. Not sure. Merida is 21 miles from Progreso. I'm so old I don't know what would interest the munchkins. There is an excellent sidewalk ice cream parlor on the central plaza with some great tropical flavors. Yes there are buildings dating back to 1549 and of course the oldest cathedral of the Americas, circa 1561. Many parks/plazas. As I recall, there is a small zoo but don't have any info. Within the historical area there is a BURGER KING on Calle 62, if absolutely necessary. If you don't speak spanish you can order by picture number on the menue board. Some sidewalks are a little narrow for strollers but not a problem around the central plaza. Lots of benches for rest and people watching. Good food is plentiful. Merida is a very safe city and clean.

I'm sure you and especially the kiddos would enjoy the carriage ride out onto the upscale Paseo Montejo, a beautiful blvd. 50 min/$20 and very worth while.

I just found this on http://www.yucatantoday.com

CENTENARIO ZOO - A well-done zoo featuring many of the animals of the Yucatan Peninsula. It has a wonderful bird exhibit in a giant aviary that you can walk through. Set in a beautiful park with play areas for kids, it's located on Avenida Itzaes and Calle 59. There is also a mini-train you can ride around the zoo and rowboats for the small lake

Thanks so much for your response. I found the link to the zoo and that looks great! We could go see the historic buildings and then maybe take them to the park/zoo. Kids are fine eating mexican food so no bk for us :)

I know the bus is fine and if I wasn't traveling with 2 young kids I might do it. I'm just worried that they might get cranky and cry and I don't want to disturb other passengers. Plus I like the freedom of being able to leave if the kids are in complete options.

We are also exploring renting a van (there are 7 of us total), do you know of a reliable outfit in Progreso.

Thanks!

After having lived in Progreso for 7 years I can tell you that there are no car rental places in Progreso. Taking the young ones on the bus into Merida would not be a problem at all, as that is the major form of transportaion for many local's. Renting a taxi is fine but they do not have one that would hold 7 of you. If you rent a taxi you can pay one price and have it for the entire time. So if you want to do Merida they drop you off and are waiting for you when your done then they take you to your next stop. So much to do in merida and Progreso. The zoo is relly enjoyable for all ages.

Archived