The Eddowes Trek

pacaduli

I am wondering how strenuous a hike this excursion is?

I know it is 3 miles. The hike and commentary sound wonderful! It seems like something DH and I would enjoy, but I don't really want to push it from an exercise standpoint. I would much prefer a 'strolling' type of walk. Can anyone comment on this? We are going at the end of October, so I am not sure about possible muddy conditions either.

Thanks! Carol

The "Trail of the Ancients" trek on Moorea is not strenuous exercise for the average adult/couch potato. The trail is downhill but it is a dirt path and you will be stepping over tree roots and rocks. Mark makes multiple stops along the way. A few people or our tour created walking sticks out of fallen tree branches. There is also a small creek that has a rock crossing. I would not recommend the tour if you are unsure of your footing or balance is an issue.

Having said that my DH and I have nothing but the highest praise for this excursion. It was a true highlight of our trip. Mark is an amazing tour guide. You will learn so much from him and he is very approachable and eager to share his knowledge and experience. I also strongly suggest you attend any lectures he gives while onboard. You won't regret it.

Enjoy!!

Thank you for the reply, Gibbsville Girl. That indeed sounds like an excursion we would enjoy. We love to learn about the history/geography/ecology/lifestyles of a place when we go on a vacation.

We are not the type to sit on the beach and suntan all day...which we could do at home! I understand why others prefer that tho.

We are California people who get enough beach everyday!

Wendy, sorry I wasn't perfectly clear on my OP. Have you taken this excursion? Do you have any thoughts on it?

Also, is Mark Eddowes on every PG cruise? If not, I Certainly hope we will be lucky enough to have him on ours.

Thanks! Carol

I call PG today and was told the unfortunate news that Mark would not be on this trip, or leading the "Ancients" trek. I am a bit disappointed, but I was informed that the local guide who would be giving lectures onboard and who would be leading the "Trek", would be covering the EXACT same information. So different person, same information.

Does anyone out there have knowledge of the "local guide" and the quality of him/her? We are planning to do the "Trek" on Moorea.

Thanks, Carol

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone out there have knowledge of the "local guide" and the quality of him/her? We are planning to do the "Trek" on Moorea.

Thanks, Carol

Wondering if anyone took the "Trek" on Moorea with a local guide and NOT Eddowes? I am dissapointed that Mark will not be on our sailing, and am contemplating whether or not to go on the Trek with an alternate guide.

Anyone have any insite?

Thanks

5019610802_edbd4f6818.jpg5019006539_e7006463c5.jpg

Mark Eddows guiding The Trail of the Ancients

I don't have any experience with any of the alternate guides, but I think I would be willing to risk it. I suspect that they have probably been on enough trips with Mark to be able to do it justice. Maybe not ALL the archeology, but...

I've not done Mark Eddowes trek. But I have experienced his lectures, and I can't imagine that a local guide would be anything similar.

That being said, the local Moorean guides that I have experienced have been very entertaining, so I would do it. You'll just get a different perspective than you would with Mark. This is my assumption, I could be wrong.

We missed Mark on our last PG adventure as well, and we too were disappointed, but oh well, he has his dig off in the Cooks I believe, so good for him. Now if he's organize visits to his archaeological site, I would spring for that!

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to all of Mark's lectures/exciting talks he gave on our cruise in May/June. To me they were the highlight of the trip. I would sit through them all again if I go on another PG cruise and if Mark is on it. I was a bit concerned about the Trails of the Ancients not being offered as an excurion, but it was and was worth the effort. Neat guy, neat trip and fabulous speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done the walk of the ancients with Mark Edowes and it is very good and not too difficult. Our last trip, unfortunately several years ago, we did the "walk to the three coconut" with a local guide on Moorea. The guide was great and gave us a lot of culture and history, but be warned, this is a trek. Up hill, down hill, over rocks, over steams etc. It was fun and enjoyable but stenuous.

Archived