PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of birth certificate/boarding drama....

Christine in MO
September 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
We leave on the Elation on Nov 6 (myself, hubby, 2 kids, mom & step father). My mother is 60 years old and has never been out of the country before and until now apparently never had a need for her birth certificate. So she goes in person to purchase a copy of her birth certificate and the clerk informs her that they cannot find one in the system for her. After more investigation they do finally find 1 but my mom said this isn't me (her maiden name is spelled ENTIRELY wrong). And they said yeah it is...its what we have on you. So, now she has to go through a alot of paperwork stuff through the state capital with notaries & affidavites to get the spelling of her name corrected. It takes between 2-4 weeks. Which would be cutting it very close to our departure date. Anyway, to go on the cruise does she really have to have a corrected one? I mean all she needs is her birth certificate & drivers license....she is married so the names aren't going to match anyway right? Of course she is going to get it corrected and all but WHAT IF it doesn't happen before our departure date? Yes, they said 2-4 weeks but we are talking about the government here......

BeccaBecca1713
September 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Did you book your cruise just recently? If you booked it awhile back, it seems you may have waited too long to get all your papers in order. Do they have an option to expedite? It would probably cost more, but would definitely be worth the piece of mind.

Make sure it's a true Birth Certificate with raised seal. There have been some problems with people not being allowed to board because they brought Certificates of Live Birth, which apparently aren't the same thing. Call Carnival and explain what you have and see what they say.

In the future, if your Mom plans to take more cruises definitely invest in a passport. It's soooooooo much simpler!! Good Luck!

Sonshine1
September 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
But of course she can't get a Passport without her birth certificate...

LemurCat
September 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Did you book your cruise just recently? If you booked it awhile back, it seems you may have waited too long to get all your papers in order. Do they have an option to expedite? It would probably cost more, but would definitely be worth the piece of mind.

Make sure it's a true Birth Certificate with raised seal. There have been some problems with people not being allowed to board because they brought Certificates of Live Birth, which apparently aren't the same thing. Call Carnival and explain what you have and see what they say.

In the future, if your Mom plans to take more cruises definitely invest in a passport. It's soooooooo much simpler!! Good Luck!

Becca, this isn't about making sure it's the right certificate, it's about whether or not her mother needs to have the certificate amended as the official vital record is misspelled.

Christine, it's the last name, correct? Not the first name? My opinion (which is worth nothing) would be that she can take her chances. I haven't read of anyone needing a marriage certificate lately. I would suggest contacting your local STATE legislative representative (as this is a state issue) and seeing if they can't help you expediate getting it fixed in time for your cruise. Not sure how willing they'll be to help though.

Christine in MO
September 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, I know a passport would have made things much simplier but seeing that she is 60 years old and never had the need for her birth certificate until now needing a passport is a mute point. Of course, if she enjoys cruising and wants to continue in the future she will invest in a passport (after getting the BC mess straightened out of course). We have had this trip scheduled for a while and until a few weeks ago she thought she had a copy of her birth certificate when it was actually the other thing issued from the hospital.

BeccaBecca1713
September 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Becca, this isn't about making sure it's the right certificate, it's about whether or not her mother needs to have the certificate amended as the official vital record is misspelled.

Christine, it's the last name, correct? Not the first name? My opinion (which is worth nothing) would be that she can take her chances. I haven't read of anyone needing a marriage certificate lately. I would suggest contacting your local STATE legislative representative (as this is a state issue) and seeing if they can't help you expediate getting it fixed in time for your cruise. Not sure how willing they'll be to help though.

I understood her question, just wanted to make sure she had gone to Vital Statistics Dept and was trying to get the right type of Certificate. Carnival even sent out a mass email recently pointing out true Birth Certificates vs. Certificates of Live Birth (very confusing!). :eek:

ryanpatricksmom
September 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
This is why I don't get that they still let people travel with a birth certificate and a driver's license. Without the marriage certificate substantiating the name change, it seems a little silly....and then you take someone like me, who's had a couple of name changes. The paper trail gets a little confusing. I don't see how they could tell that it's wrong so long as the dates match.

Wavesprite
September 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Why would they know (or care) what her "birth" name is? I would say as long as she has her current drivers license, and her official birth record (raised seal) it will be fine....

CruisinManiac
September 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Is her maiden name (correct spelling) on her drivers license? If so, then you may run into a problem. If it is not, she should be fine as long as the first name is correct.

CRUISETYPIST
September 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????:confused:

Christine in MO
September 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????:confused:

I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?

CRUISETYPIST
September 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that is strange. Seeing as how the thing that you get from the hospital is nothing more than a souvenier copy for the proud parents. Here in SC the hospital copy is good for absolutely nothing.

cherylandtk
September 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
... Carnival even sent out a mass email recently pointing out true Birth Certificates vs. Certificates of Live Birth (very confusing!). :eek:You may have mis-understood the Carnival email; the difference they were pointing out was issued by the county/state vs. issued by the hospital, not the title of the certificate. With 50 states, a few territories and Washington D.C. there are quite a few variations in title.

cherylandtk
September 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?Not really, lots of places, especially schools, still accept the hospital version or baptismal records. My husband entered the military with one AND obtained his first passport with it. Wasn't until his second time in Grad school that he had to get a true certified copy, that was about 10 years ago.

cherylandtk
September 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Christine (OP).
Carnival generally does not ask for bridge documents to match the birth certificate. The BC is proof of your Mom's citizenship, her DL is proof of her current identity. The usual thing is for the cruise line to compare first names and birth dates and you are good to go. If you are really worried, have her take her marriage license to show the name change to her current name. But chances are about 99% that they will not even ask, so don't point out the misspelled maiden name and you should all be fine.

LemurCat
September 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Not really, lots of places, especially schools, still accept the hospital version or baptismal records. My husband entered the military with one AND obtained his first passport with it. Wasn't until his second time in Grad school that he had to get a true certified copy, that was about 10 years ago.

Up until a couple of years ago, many state bar associations still accepted names written in family Bibles and baptismal certificates as well.

caribbean dreams
September 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Is her maiden name (correct spelling) on her drivers license? If so, then you may run into a problem. If it is not, she should be fine as long as the first name is correct.

?? Her Maiden name would not be on her license:confused:

Answer..NO, it will not matter if last name on BC is missed spelled, she will be using her DL with Married last name, they will be looking to make sure the first name & date of birth are correct only.
I say fix the BC when you get back.

took my DIL 1 year to make a correction to her BC thru the state.

have a great family cruise:)

blindrid
September 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
If her maiden name is wrong, who cares as her DL will have another name on it anyway (assuming she has her married name on her DL).......... Leave well enough alone.

vacruizer
September 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Answer..NO, it will not matter if last name on BC is missed spelled, she will be using her DL with Married last name, they will be looking to make sure the first name & date of birth are correct only.

Sometimes the maiden name is listed on the DL as a middle name if you choose to list it that way. Mine has my maiden name instead of my middle name on it.

bubbadog
September 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
OK Since grandma is cruising now,it is best that she get a passport,That way she wont have to have 10 pieces of I D,and a meltdown,to get on the ship and have fun:p;)

Christine in MO
September 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
OK Since grandma is cruising now,it is best that she get a passport,That way she wont have to have 10 pieces of I D,and a meltdown,to get on the ship and have fun:p;)

Yeah, but unfortunatly the only way to do that is to get her current mess straighted out

CRZCRAZY
September 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?
My father went through most of his life without one, including serving in the Army. Somewhere around age 60 he went in to get a BC and he wasn't in the system, he was born at home, and the only record was an entry in a Bible. He had to have someone that knew him most of his life attest as to who he was and how old they figured he was. His friend died the next day! My father got the delayed BC and was then able to get a passport.
He was able to go through school, the Army, get a driver's license, credit, etc. He only ran into a problem when he needed it for the passport.

CruisinManiac
September 30th, 2010, 08:02 PM
)

Normally, when you marry, you take your husbands last name, and keep your maiden name as your middle. :)

Sometimes the maiden name is listed on the DL as a middle name if you choose to list it that way. Mine has my maiden name instead of my middle name on it.

Thank you, vacruizer. My maiden name is also on my license as my middle name. Same for my passport. ;)

CRZCRAZY
October 1st, 2010, 03:10 AM
Normally, when you marry, you take your husbands last name, and keep your maiden name as your middle. :)

Thank you, vacruizer. My maiden name is also on my license as my middle name. Same for my passport. ;)

My wife has her own middle name on her license and her last name. Her maiden name is nowhere on that document, her government retirement card, social security card, passport, etc.

zqvol
October 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM

Enough of the raised seals! Most states DO NOT issue birth certificates with raised seals, but they do provide certified birth certificates.

nothomeonacruise
October 1st, 2010, 07:41 AM

They don't check your maiden name. I agree, but I'm not an expert, etiher.

Neals6
October 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM
My DH had a similar problem. I think back then they spelled names the best they could because a lot of women used midwives. My husband is only 47 but his mom had a midwife and all of his brothers and sisters the first or last name is mispelled. We went to the office of vital statistics and had to take his parents marriage liscense,farther's death cert. and a school record.All in all we had it stratend out in one day. Maybe you should call your office and find out what there requirements are and it will save you a lot of time and grief. Hope this helped and everything turns out ok. My pvp has alwalys told me to take my marriage liscense with me just in case.Noone has ever asked for it but better safe than sorry.

tracyanns
October 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Just an FYI that it really depends on the agent you get. I have seen different agents ask for different things and although they may not all ask for it, if it is in the contract that you have to have it and you don't they can deny you boarding.

We cruised on the Fantasy about a month ago and they asked a woman next to us for her marriage license and she didn't have it...still arguing about it after we walked away in less than 2 minutes with our passports (they really do expedite the check in process)...I do not know the outcome but I think one of the agents said you were required to provide all of the bridging documents...or maybe they had an issue with her specific paperwork and wanted if for that reason, not sure but either way they asked her for it so better to have it than not have it.

blindrid
October 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM

That's all well and good but grandma also needs a legit BC to get one.... that's the point of the OP's concern.

old sole
October 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that is strange. Seeing as how the thing that you get from the hospital is nothing more than a souvenier copy for the proud parents. Here in SC the hospital copy is good for absolutely nothing.

Only in the past several years has that been true. I used my hospital birth "certificate" from McCloud Hospital in Florence SC as my official birth certificate (I thought they were one & the same, and apparantly so did everyone else) for getting a driver's license, going to college, joining the Army, getting married, and getting a passport. The first time I ever needed the SC Dept of Vital Statistics certified copy of my BC was when I had to replace an expired passport 6 years ago.

CRU1Z1N
October 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
If the first name is spelled correctly, and the same, on the birth certificate and drivers license or state ID, there won't be a problem. No one checks your maiden name... Did they spell your parents last name the same as yours on your BC? Example..John Smith father, Jane Doe Smith mother born to them daughter Janet Middlename Smyth. IF the last name does not match then you may have a problem

Would someone please show me where Carnival states that you need your marriage license?

Thanks!

toadally
October 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
Three years ago I was asked for my marriage license. Last year my BC and ID were all that were asked for. This year my passport was great.

Warm Breezes
October 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Three years ago I was asked for my marriage license. Last year my BC and ID were all that were asked for. This year my passport was great.

When they asked for your marriage license 3 years ago, did your photo ID name match your booking name or were they different and that is why they needed the bridging document?

CruisinManiac
October 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
My wife has her own middle name on her license and her last name. Her maiden name is nowhere on that document, her government retirement card, social security card, passport, etc.

I don't know how old you are (I am over 50) or where you were raised, but in the South Carolina where I was raised, it was proper to drop your middle name when you took your husbands name, and use your maiden name as the middle. I have not used my given middle name in 32 years.

Having said the above, read the following. Not knowing she had done so, our daughter had to renew her drivers license shortly after she married. She dropped her maiden name and kept her given first and middle name. We understand why she did it. Her first name is Mary, and her middle name "Katherine", but she has always gone by "Katherine". So, if she had dropped her middle name, and kept her maiden name, she would lose the name that she goes by. She says she wasn't thinking straight when she did that, and had even filled out some work applications that way.

Our daughter has already run into trouble with the new name and trying to get a teaching job. When the school system called some of her references, the people that were called had no idea who Mary "Jones" was. :eek: Only when the school system answered back that her middle name was "Katherine" (her real name is very unusual and people recognize it immediately,) did they know who the questions were in reference to.

From now own, our daughter will fill out applications and other paper work as Mary "Katherine" "Smith" "Jones".

Whew!!! Not sure that all made sense. :rolleyes:

Only in the past several years has that been true. I used my hospital birth "certificate" from McCloud Hospital in Florence SC as my official birth certificate (I thought they were one & the same, and apparantly so did everyone else) for getting a driver's license, going to college, joining the Army, getting married, and getting a passport. The first time I ever needed the SC Dept of Vital Statistics certified copy of my BC was when I had to replace an expired passport 6 years ago.

lol...our oldest daughter was born at McLeod Regional in Florence. :)

BTW - My daughter got her passport before she was married. Can she still use that same passport if they travel again, or does it need to be updated before it officially expires?

JPEvans
October 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM
But of course she can't get a Passport without her birth certificate...

Not entirely true. You need to prove your U.S. citizenship. A friend of
mine was born in France, and his mother married a US citizen and was
adoped by the new husband. His adoption papers would prove his
citizenship, not his French birth certificate.

imsulin
October 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM

You're wrong. In the South, it is VERY common for a female to have first-MAIDEN-last name on her DL. (I'd never seen this before I moved down here, and still don't understand the logic behind it). I came across this when I started working as a TA here in 1999, and it was very confusing. I've always had first-middle-last name on my DL. (But, I've had a Passport since I was 18). I think this is a very legitimate issue as to whether or not the maiden name is on the DL.

WinnipegCruiser
October 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
It might be a good idea to try and start the passport process at the same time. As a back up... I mean with the DL, SSN....and the bad BC....

Along with the verifier....

CruisinManiac
October 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
You're wrong. In the South, it is VERY common for a female to have first-MAIDEN-last name on her DL. (I'd never seen this before I moved down here, and still don't understand the logic behind it). I came across this when I started working as a TA here in 1999, and it was very confusing. I've always had first-middle-last name on my DL. (But, I've had a Passport since I was 18). I think this is a very legitimate issue as to whether or not the maiden name is on the DL.

:) The logic is to never forget who they are or what family they came from. ;) That's always been my husbands mantra when the kids were growing up and going off to places without us (youth group tours, camp, etc.) After kissing the kids goodbye, he would always say to them "be good, remember who you are, where you came from, and what/who you represent." Our minister of music heard this one day, and made a sermon about it a few weeks later. :D

My DH and I were a little hurt when our daughter dropped her maiden name.

Keeping your maiden name as the middle is not really much different than a married woman keeping her maiden name as her last name, or hyphenating her name with the husbands name. ;)

CRZCRAZY
October 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
I don't know how old you are (I am over 50) or where you were raised, but in the South Carolina where I was raised, it was proper to drop your middle name when you took your husbands name, and use your maiden name as the middle. I have not used my given middle name in 32 years.
I'm 59 and was raised in Chicago and have lived in California for the last 40 years. I guess it's a regional thing that is done more in the South. When I grew up it was the standard to drop the maiden name completely, and when I moved (or should I say the Navy moved me) out to California, I started to see more hyphenated names, but still keeping the original middle name. That was in the 70s when there were a lot of changes being made in the way women did things, including credit reporting, marriage and property rights, etc.

GatorMomInNC
October 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
I really don't get the whole changing your name thing when you get married. It never would occur to me to go to a courthouse and legally have my last name changed, just because I had gotten married. It would be so weird for me to have a different name than the one I have had all my life and way too complicated and too much trouble in situations such as the one the OP is talking about. I truly believe this is an archaic practice that will disappear in another generation or two.

nrdsb4
October 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
I really don't get the whole changing your name thing when you get married. It never would occur to me to go to a courthouse and legally have my last name changed, just because I had gotten married. It would be so weird for me to have a different name than the one I have had all my life and way too complicated and too much trouble in situations such as the one the OP is talking about. I truly believe this is an archaic practice that will disappear in another generation or two.

You don't have to go to a courthouse to get your name legally changed when you get married. It's not at all complicated. When my driver's license expired, I changed the last name on that, same with my passport, and I didn't until recently change it on my social security card. I lost the card, so when I replaced it, I changed the last name. Easy as pie.

I took my husband's last name because we planned on having children. We wanted our children to have the same last name as their parents. It was done more as a symbol of unity than anything else. I do agree that, while it's far from being "archaic' at this time, it may eventually be phased out as a tradition.

GatorMomInNC
October 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
You don't have to go to a courthouse to get your name legally changed when you get married. It's not at all complicated. When my driver's license expired, I changed the last name on that, same with my passport, and I didn't until recently change it on my social security card. I lost the card, so when I replaced it, I changed the last name. Easy as pie.

I took my husband's last name because we planned on having children. We wanted our children to have the same last name as their parents. It was done more as a symbol of unity than anything else. I do agree that, while it's far from being "archaic' at this time, it may eventually be phased out as a tradition.

In Florida when we got our license they specifically told us, now, this doesn't mean your name is changed, you will still need to go do that separately. I took that to mean a formal name change, but I never looked into it because I wanted to keep my name.

We have 2 kids, and they have their dads name. I don't get offended when people assume my last name is the same, and we usually refer to ourselves as The (husband's last name). So far it has not been an issue that I have a different last name as my kids, although I think that my kids' teachers sometimes wonder if I am divorced/remarried when they first meet me. I am curious to see what happens when I cruise with them (in 9 days!!! YEAH!!) with passports with different last names (my husband won't be with us).

Anyway, to each his own - my mother and my sister both changed their names, and some of my friends. Personally, I just think it is weird to change the name you were born with...maybe it is because I didn't get married until I was 39 and I was just very attached to my name!!

KFinTx
October 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
We leave on the Elation on Nov 6 (myself, hubby, 2 kids, mom & step father). My mother is 60 years old and has never been out of the country before and until now apparently never had a need for her birth certificate.

look into filing a change of name petition.

KFinTx
October 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I don't know how old you are (I am over 50) or where you were raised, but in the South Carolina where I was raised, it was proper to drop your middle name when you took your husbands name, and use your maiden name as the middle. I have not used my given middle name in 32 years. :rolleyes:

Custom or no, your legal name remains First Middle Maiden Married, unless you go to court & change it. Of course, my mom had to go against tradition after she married & dropped her given first name, so the name she used after marriage was Middle Maiden Married. :eek:

cherylandtk
October 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I am curious to see what happens when I cruise with them (in 9 days!!! YEAH!!) with passports with different last names (my husband won't be with us). The port may ask your for proof (certified BC's)that you are your children's mother and they may ask for notarized permission from your husband to take them out of the country. Chances of either are low to start with, but because you have a different last name that tends to send up warning flags and initiate more questions. On some lines (not Carnival, which you are taking) these bridge documents are required.

Crusin6
October 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, I know a passport would have made things much simplier but seeing that she is 60 years old and never had the need for her birth certificate until now needing a passport is a mute point. Of course, if she enjoys cruising and wants to continue in the future she will invest in a passport (after getting the BC mess straightened out of course). We have had this trip scheduled for a while and until a few weeks ago she thought she had a copy of her birth certificate when it was actually the other thing issued from the hospital.
what kind of documentation did she use to get her Marriage License then?
The first one as well as the current one. Maybe she could use whatever she used to get the M/C? Just askin?

Crusin6
October 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
The port may ask your for proof (certified BC's)that you are your children's mother and they may ask for notarized permission from your husband to take them out of the country. Chances of either are low to start with, but because you have a different last name that tends to send up warning flags and initiate more questions. On some lines (not Carnival, which you are taking) these bridge documents are required.
be careful if any ports are in Mexico. To be safe get a notarized letter from you DH stating it is OK for you to take the kids out of the states.

rocketmom09
October 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
OP, I would just get the birth certificate the court has for her and use it to get the passport for now. When I went to get my passport, my mother's name was spelled wrong on the certified birth certificate. Mine went thru fine.

In the meantime, call the passport office and tell them what you've posted on here and they can tell you whether you need to do more footwork before presenting for the passport.

Crusin6
October 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
a Marriage License is all that is needed to change your name after marriage....no need for a court appearance...as the Marriage License is the legal document.

If you are not legally marriaed and want to start to legally and officially start using someone else's last name..or..just want to change your last name for some reason....then you go to court.

Of course nothing is stopping anyone from using any name they choose...however, it is not your legal name ....just sort of a pen name. Your legal docs will still show your birth name and your marriage license entitles you to use your spouses last name for legal purposes....not just for social purposes....of course this is all assuming that not fraud is involved and one is not running from the law:D

TahoeBob
October 2nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????:confused: I am 56 and I never needed my BC until 6 years ago when I took my first cruise. I am sure that my parents needed it when I first started school, but other than that there was never a need.

Crusin6
October 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
I am 56 and I never needed my BC until 6 years ago when I took my first cruise. I am sure that my parents needed it when I first started school, but other than that there was never a need.
If you ever got a marriage license there would have been a need

also, if there was a requirement to have working papers when you where 16yo you needed..also to get a Driver's License at whatever age

and of course,believe it or not...you need it when you apply to collect social security...in addition to a second form.

I recently got my B/C because I needed it to prove my age...52....I had no idea where the original was...the one I know I used for a Marriage License...so for $10 bucks, I got a new one...took 10 minutes. The B/C was in addition to another form of ID...Passport or License.

ash4020
October 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married.
I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.

megmno
October 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
When I got got married I dropped my original middle name in favor of my maiden name. I now use First Maiden Married. I was told there was no problem with doing this, and I had no problem with getting my DL and SS changed. I think I had to present the marriage certificate.

When I got my passport two years ago I presented my DL with First Maiden Married and my birth certificate with First Middle Maiden, and no questions were asked at all.

My original middle name was "Ruth". Since I dropped it I'm now Ruth-less :)

David_S
October 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question but I keep seeing people post wrong information bout a Certificate of Live Birth. I was concerned about about this as well so I contacted the Office of Vital Statisics to request a certified birth certificate. They sent me a raised seal Certificate of Live Birth, that is all the state of Michigan sends out now so still being concerned I went to the passport office to obtain a passport and they said in fact this is common in many states and it is a Certified Birth Certificate. In fact the used it to get my passport. I believe the one you are referring to is the hospital record the one that has you footprint, it is not a Certified Birth Certificate. Hope this helps others.

Crusin6
October 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
When I got got married I dropped my original middle name in favor of my maiden name. I now use First Maiden Married. I was told there was no problem with doing this, and I had no problem with getting my DL and SS changed. I think I had to present the marriage certificate.

When I got my passport two years ago I presented my DL with First Maiden Married and my birth certificate with First Middle Maiden, and no questions were asked at all.

My original middle name was "Ruth". Since I dropped it I'm now Ruth-less :)
passport can be obtained with DL and BC....Social Security office asked for proof of name change...which is proven by the Marriage License.

Regardless, of local customs....one should have their Marriage License handy...because it will be needed for women should they need to...replace a DL that was stolen..not lost..stolen...so say it was lost if you know what is good for you...and when it comes time to apply to Social Security under your husband's name...if you choose to.

BTW...the SS office is not always correct...I was told I was wrong twice by agents that felt the were totally correct...I told them they were mistaken...they said I was wrong...and viola...guess who was right?:D

FWIW...Dh is 62 and we have minor kids...which means I get a check as well...as their guardian...and I am not anywhere near 62:)..a bit younger.

All that aside...and regardless of never "needing" these documents...the Marriage License and original B/c or Naturalization Papers will become your best friends at some point in your life......do not disregard their importance......along with a Passport.

Crusin6
October 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married.
I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.
In many states a B/C is required to get a M/L...to prove age of consent..:D
Not sure how that works in Arkansas though:D

aeneas3
October 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
my suggestion is that if it gets too close to the departure date and the papers may not be in order, you may want to call carnival and explain the situation. they may be able to change your sailing to a sailing that does not leave the USA. you may also consider putting off the trip. the last thing you want to happen is for her to be detained at customs. a fate no one deserves.

AZ Karaoke Girl
October 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued. Everyone needs to have an accurate birth certificate.

My email I just received from Carnival clarified a birth certificate issued by vital statistics.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

* Passport Card
* Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
* Certificate of Naturalization
* Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
* Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
* A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

* U.S. Passports
* Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

* Baptismal Certificates
* Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

Crusin6
October 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued. Everyone needs to have an accurate birth certificate.

My email I just received from Carnival clarified a birth certificate issued by vital statistics.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

* Passport Card
* Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
* Certificate of Naturalization
* Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
* Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
* A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

* U.S. Passports
* Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

* Baptismal Certificates
* Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.
There you go...proving the need for a PP for your kids!:) Children 16 and over need photo ID. So if they don't drive...which most do not..nor have a driver's permit...what do you use...a school ID:eek:..you know those things that can be easily forged to make one appear older:rolleyes:...Nope..a PP is your answer!!

goaties
October 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
My mom had never gotten a birth certificate either. she had gotten socoal security and drivers license with the wrinkled paper stating she was born. she was born at home and it was never recorded. we made it a point to get her a passport and it was an ordeal. i say start early. I had to make three trips to the court records section and they found school records where she was in school and cencus records that her mom had recorderd her birthdate and signed it. i was able to get a official birthcertificate without signtures on it. it looked official. no doctor had signed it. after three attempts to get the passport with it finally a person took it and guess what, it came back at the state level. they would not accecpt it. i had paid 15.00 to get it and it looked official with the seal and everything. it just was not signed because no doctor ever ceritified her birth.
I finally wrote a letter begging and i sent it back and stated we simply were trying to take my mom on a cruise. i had provided the three proofs of her being born, i finally got her a passport.
She remembers her mom and the local preacher going to court to get her into scool when she was 6. that was when the wrinkled paper came into works. That was all she ever needed until time to get a passport. Yes she is about to go on her third cruise. passport stays in lockbox protected....

wrp96
October 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
In many states a B/C is required to get a M/L...to prove age of consent..:D
Not sure how that works in Arkansas though:D

You just get your dad/brother to accompany you to consent.;)

Eeyoregon
October 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
This thread caught my eye because just today I was going through my safe and was looking at my sons birth certificates. On my youngest sons it has mothers name as Reginald. Um, his mother is Regina. LOL. Suppose I better get that corrected for future reference.

Gina

wrp96
October 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
This thread caught my eye because just today I was going through my safe and was looking at my sons birth certificates. On my youngest sons it has mothers name as Reginald. Um, his mother is Regina. LOL. Suppose I better get that corrected for future reference.

Gina

Absolutely. It's much easier to get stuff corrected when time isn't of the essence. You never know what will make a difference in the future so get it corrected.

CruisinManiac
October 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Custom or no, your legal name remains First Middle Maiden Married, unless you go to court & change it. Of course, my mom had to go against tradition after she married & dropped her given first name, so the name she used after marriage was Middle Maiden Married. :eek:

That's what my daughter should have done. Just dropped the Mary.

I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married. I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.

This is so funny that you mentioned the monogram. That was one of the reasons my daughter chose to drop her maiden name. She says that her monograms would look better.

FireMonkey
October 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Hmm, I was married in the south and used my first, middle, married name -dropped my maiden name. Never have heard of using your maiden name as your middle name once married :confused: Maybe I'm just different :D

Then I moved to the west :eek:, came to my senses and divorced the cheating SOB and changed it back. :D

To each their own. My boyfriend's brother actually took on his wife's last name and hyphenated it with his, so they both have the exact same last name without having to give up their own identity. Kind of a cool idea.

Boatdrill
October 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
[quote=ryanpatricksmom;26300014]This is why I don't get that they still let people travel with a birth certificate and a driver's license.... /quote]

Because Carnival doesn't like to deny boarding to people when they show up with insufficient proof of citizenship.

They're getting tougher in San Diego though (finally !)

CRZCRAZY
October 4th, 2010, 02:47 AM
My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued.

My father recently passed away and all they required was information we gave to the funeral home over the phone. They never had any paperwork from us, we had the death certificate before we even found his birth certificate.

bettysuetraveler
October 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Enough of the raised seals! Most states DO NOT issue birth certificates with raised seals, but they do provide certified birth certificates.

raised seal - state seal - watermark all the same.

nrdsb4
October 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
raised seal - state seal - watermark all the same.

NO-because so many of these posts state that your birth certificate must have a raised seal in order to be valid. This IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE. So no, not "all the same."

Christine in MO
October 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM

This is Christine's mother no is the anwer to all your questions! Never needed a BC for school, never needed one for both driver licenses (lived in MO then moved to IL), never needed one for both marriages nor did I did one for my job of 37 years which was a government job.(LOL) I can't believe I haven't needed one all my life too, but it true.

nrdsb4
October 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
^^^^Hmm, interesting.

I had thought all states required birth certificate for DL so that your age would be verified - you must be 16 to get the DL, so how would they know if you are? You can just say, "hey, trust me, I'm 16" in those states?

cherylandtk
October 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Back in the day all you needed was your parent's signature attesting to your age. Times have changed since then.

bryndlwulf
October 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My mother was requested to show a marriage certificate-which she did not have. She fortunately got by showing a combination of birth certificate with maiden name, old government ID with married name #1, drivers license with married name #2, and receipt from ordering her passport which did not arrive in time for the cruise. She also had several other photo IDs with both married names but only the certificate had the maiden name on it. It was a hassle but she got onboard, then my MIL had the same issue and they just didn't even go there with her...she got on only with her birth certificate in one name and ID in another. She just needed my mom to tire the girl out! Neither one had any trouble getting back into the US. It was much harder getting out.

jks336
October 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
if she's getting it from a government office then it will NOT be the certificate of live birth, that only comes from the hospital where one is born.

but i wanted to say to the OP. the mispelling may not be an issue so if you don't have the corrected one, go with what you have, but bring a copy of her marriage certificate for the name difference on her drivers license!

Kurbanfan
October 9th, 2010, 08:32 PM
if she's getting it from a government office then it will NOT be the certificate of live birth, that only comes from the hospital where one is born.

but i wanted to say to the OP. the mispelling may not be an issue so if you don't have the corrected one, go with what you have, but bring a copy of her marriage certificate for the name difference on her drivers license!

My certified birth cert says "certificate of live birth"
My hospital certificate says "certificate of birth"

Warm Breezes
October 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM

My Birth Certificate from the states department of vital statistics says certificate of live birth...

seashinesunshine
October 9th, 2010, 09:07 PM
We leave on the Elation on Nov 6 (myself, hubby, 2 kids, mom & step father). My mother is 60 years old and has never been out of the country before and until now apparently never had a need for her birth certificate. So she goes in person to purchase a copy of her birth certificate and the clerk informs her that they cannot find one in the system for her. After more investigation they do finally find 1 but my mom said this isn't me (her maiden name is spelled ENTIRELY wrong). And they said yeah it is...its what we have on you. So, now she has to go through a alot of paperwork stuff through the state capital with notaries & affidavites to get the spelling of her name corrected. It takes between 2-4 weeks. Which would be cutting it very close to our departure date. Anyway, to go on the cruise does she really have to have a corrected one? I mean all she needs is her birth certificate & drivers license....she is married so the names aren't going to match anyway right? Of course she is going to get it corrected and all but WHAT IF it doesn't happen before our departure date? Yes, they said 2-4 weeks but we are talking about the government here......

Years ago, think back to 1980 ish, my grandma tried to get a birth certificate and they told her she would have to find someone who witnessed her birth to prove she was born. She was 70 or so at the time!
Hope things work out for you!

makeup face
October 9th, 2010, 09:29 PM

I never needed a certified BC until I applied for a Passport in 1992...I was 38 at the time and my name had changed twice by then.
In Cail my mom just used certificate of live birth from LA General Hospital to take care of business over my life. Never had a problem with DL...marriages...nothing. So I think it was just the times back then....they accept the hospital document:)

CruisinManiac
October 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I was married in the south and used my first, middle, married name -dropped my maiden name. Never have heard of using your maiden name as your middle name once married :confused: Maybe I'm just different :D

Then I moved to the west :eek:, came to my senses and divorced the cheating SOB and changed it back. :D

To each their own. My boyfriend's brother actually took on his wife's last name and hyphenated it with his, so they both have the exact same last name without having to give up their own identity. Kind of a cool idea.

Just returned from visiting my parents. My mother is actually a Northern (NY, ILL) native, and she even dropped her middle name and kept her maiden name as middle. So did both of my grandparents. :)