Bar Harbor - can you walk to Cadillac Mtn hike

drbabe

The public transportation ends Columbus Day, observed (10/11). I would suggest hiring a taxi for a ride to/from the trail head. I don't think hitch hiking is allowed in a national park.

The walk from the tender dock to/from the trail head for the North Ridge Trail is about 2.60 miles; the round trip distance for the trail is 4.40 miles. Total distance is 2.6+2.6+4.4 = 9.6 miles. Will your husband and teenage son be able to do that with the time available?

I played with Google maps for the best "to/from" route & distance. Here it is in brief:

• from tender dock take right (north) onto West St.;
  • follow West St which become West St Extension when you cross Eden St (SR 3);
  • follow West St Ext and take left onto Prospect Ave;
  • follow Prospect Ave until it intersects with Eagle Lake Rd (SR 233) and take right;
  • follow Eagle Lake Rd until the entry road to ANP on the right. (since Eagle Lake Rd is not in the park, you may hitch hike there at your own risk);
  • at the end of the entry road, take a left onto the park road (Jordan Pond Rd) and follow it until the Park Loop Road splits on the left.
  • stay on the Park Loop Road until you come to the Cadillac Mountain North Trail parking area and follow the signs from there

WHEW!!!!

Wouldn't a taxi be better? And what are you going to be doing while husband and son desert you?

There is a trail & park map here: http://www.nps.gov/acad/

Please check my directions on Google maps.

SBtS

That is alot of hiking. We took Ollie's Trolley and it was a 2.5hr tour up to Cadillac Mountain. We had some scheduled stops but I still cannot imagine hiking to Cadillac Mountain. Whew!! I am hyperventilating just thinking about it! Grab a Taxi...

Archived