Which line

nicoleinnewyork

Looking to take Hubby on luxury cruise for his 40th Birthday (Next August) Looking at SilverSea- Silver Spirit thru Europe. Regents thru Greek isles or Paul Gauguin to Tahiti. Working with TAs who have great things to say about all of them.

We are not very fancy people so a very dressy cruise is not our style- and I am also a little concerned about getting sea sick on smaller boat. To be honest our other cruises have been on Disney with the kids! But I can tell you I am not going to be a fan of a floating las vegas with 3000 guest so the big boats are out- Just looking for feedback

Silver Spirit will be more dressy than Paul Gauguin. And be aware that on a seven day Med cruise in August you will likely find many more children than during the rest of the year. Having said that I suppose it comes down to itinerary and what part of the world you'd prefer to see. If you really want a casual experience in the Med you might want to consider Sea Dream which has very small, yachtlike ships of 100 passengers and is all casual in attire, yet everything is included as it is on Silversea.

Silversea is definitely the most formal of the cruiselines. Seadream sounds good (have not sailed on her). . . but is VERY small. The Paul Gauguin is incredibly beautiful. The waters of Tahiti are not typically rough. We adore the Greek Islands. . . but, August is very HOT. Almost unbearably so. And the crowds of tourists in port can make it uncomfortable (no matter which ship you sail on). If it were not in August, I would recommend Regent without question . . . . good size, not formal, airfare and most excursions included.

Have you considered a Baltic cruise? Having an August birthday myself, and, not caring for extreme heat, I picked a Baltic cruise (on Regent) and found the temperatures quite nice (warm, sunny. . . . but not too hot). There would still be a lot of tourist, but, when you the luxury cruise lines seem to have a way of avoiding a lot of them:-)

Have a great cruise. . . . whichever one you choose. When you do make a decision, we'd love to hear about it.

Archived