PDA

View Full Version : Meclizine @ Walmart?

tyd
November 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Is Meclizine the generic name of the motion sickness pills? I went to my local Walmart and asked for Meclizine @ the drug counter. The salesperson walked me over to an isle that had all the motion sickness medicines (dramamine, bonnie, sea bands etc..)

There was a thread that said I could get a bottle of the generic pills equivalent to dramamine/bonnie. The only pill bottle I saw with 100pills @ 50mg was an Equate brand. Is this what I am looking for? Please help, I leave in a week and would like to pick it up prior to sailing.

Thanks

Coolmama_1
November 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Equate is Walmart's version of a generic. It will say on the side of the bottle "as compared to ". If it is compared to Bonine or Dramamine, then you should be fine.

tyd
November 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Equate is Walmart's version of a generic. It will say on the side of the bottle "as compared to ". If it is compared to Bonine or Dramamine, then you should be fine.

I thought that was it, just wanted to make sure before I purchased it.

Thank you.

Nanatochase
November 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Meclizine is usually by prescription. Didn't know you could buy without one. I'm on it for vertigo, but the Doctor told me I could also take Dramimine. Same results.

Colo Cruiser
November 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Is Meclizine the generic name of the motion sickness pills? I went to my local Walmart and asked for Meclizine @ the drug counter. The salesperson walked me over to an isle that had all the motion sickness medicines (dramamine, bonnie, sea bands etc..)

There was a thread that said I could get a bottle of the generic pills equivalent to dramamine/bonnie. The only pill bottle I saw with 100pills @ 50mg was an Equate brand. Is this what I am looking for? Please help, I leave in a week and would like to pick it up prior to sailing.

Thanks

Yes. ;)

oratheeexplorer
November 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM
someone told me that Bonine works good and doesn't make you sleepy like Dramamine does.......I'm going to try it for the "motion" feeling, not for actual sickness......

Coracii
November 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
someone told me that Bonine works good and doesn't make you sleepy like Dramamine does.......I'm going to try it for the "motion" feeling, not for actual sickness......

There are two types of Dramamine, the regular and the less-drowsy. Meclazine is the chemical component of both Bonine and the Dramamine less-drowsy and they are the same strength (25mg).

vmom
November 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Meclizine is usually by prescription. Didn't know you could buy without one. I'm on it for vertigo, but the Doctor told me I could also take Dramimine. Same results.

Its the generic Bonnine. Its available over the counter and has been for years and years. You don't need a prescription.

hightownCO
November 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
My bottle says Meclizine 100 tabs 25mg. Purchased at Walmart and they kept it behind the counter. Bought it a couple of years ago.

I don't think I'd want to take a 50mg tab. In fact, thought it only came in 12.5 and 25mgs. I take mine 2x per day but don't think I'd want the dose all at once.

riffatsea
November 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM
There is NO prescription necessary for Meclizine here in the USA. It IS the generic med found in Bonine and Dramamine II( the non drowsy one) You should be able to find it in Wal Mart or in any pharmacy or supermarket.

Marie51
November 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
No need to buy a bottle of 100 pills. There are smaller packages in several stores.....Walmart, Target, CVS, Riteaid, and grocery stores. You can also order it online at www.drugstore.com

Coracii
November 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
No need to buy a bottle of 100 pills. There are smaller packages in several stores.....Walmart, Target, CVS, Riteaid, and grocery stores. You can also order it online at www.drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com)

The bottle of 100 Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Meclazine pills are about $4.50 at the Wal-Marts near me. It's less than buying 16 Dramamine non-drowsy (same thing exactly) tablets.

sail7seas
November 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
There is NO prescription necessary for Meclizine here in the USA. It IS the generic med found in Bonine and Dramamine II( the non drowsy one) You should be able to find it in Wal Mart or in any pharmacy or supermarket.

In MA, we can purchase bonine Over the counter but cannot purchase meclizine without Rx. Go figure.

I specificially asked at WalMart after reading here in the past a similar post to yours. The pharmacist directed me to bonine and said she could not sell me meclizine without Rx.

Coracii
November 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
In MA, we can purchase bonine Over the counter but cannot purchase meclizine without Rx. Go figure.

I specificially asked at WalMart after reading here in the past a similar post to yours. The pharmacist directed me to bonine and said she could not sell me meclizine without Rx.

That's really odd since the active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine...

cuyahoga11
November 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I just got some last week. CVS and Walgreen said I needed a script but Walmart pharmacy sold it to me without a script. $5.05 for 100 pills, 25 mg

Underwatr
November 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I bought Bonine (meclizine) OTC from Walgreens - it's kept next to the Dramamine in the regular aisles.

Marie51
November 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
The bottle of 100 Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Meclazine pills are about $4.50 at the Wal-Marts near me. It's less than buying 16 Dramamine non-drowsy (same thing exactly) tablets.

Well then it looks like the bottle of 100 pills is the best buy but you sure will have alot of them!

sail7seas
November 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM
That's really odd since the active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine...

I just got some last week. CVS and Walgreen said I needed a script but Walmart pharmacy sold it to me without a script. $5.05 for 100 pills, 25 mg

Weird.
I agree it's odd we can buy bonine but not meclizine. duh? Must have been an accountant who wrote that rule. :D
Bonine IS meclizine.

The best part of this whole discussion is the front office on HAL as well as Infirmary gives out meclizine upon request when there are rough seas.

sjcruiser
November 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I bought the Walmart Equate 100 pill bottle two cruises ago, and it doesnt even look like a made a dent in it. I also have a pack of Bonine that I purchased last cruise for some reason. I'll have to check the expiration date before January to make sure they're still ok to take. If not I hold them til our towns next prescription/medicine disposal event in the spring.

riffatsea
November 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Needing a scrip for the Meclizine is really weird!! I even asked my pharmacist if there was a stronger version that would require a scrip and he said,"No"!! VERY strange!!

sail7seas
November 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Every state makes their own rules.

ricew001
November 6th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I went to Amazon.com and found sea bands and all the non-drowsy drugs and you can even order them in packages together.

wrp96
November 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM
In Arkansas, you don't need a prescription for meclizine but it is kept behind the pharmacy counter at Wal-Mart and Target. You just have to ask for it - I think they keep it behind the counter because it can be prescribed by doctors so they need the larger bottles in order to fill prescriptions. If you get it filled as a prescription then it is covered by your insurance, so if you have no copay or a small copay, then you are actually saving money getting it via prescription. And yes, the $4 for the 100 count bottle is less than 1 small package of Bonine.

hightownCO
November 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yep, I love the 100 count. Meclizine (now on my 2nd 100) has gotten me through about 15 trips to Disneyworld and 7 cruises. # 8 coming up and will have plenty left for the next trip. I bring enough to share with friends too.

e050377
November 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
i haven't worked in a pharmacy for a few years, but i do remember there are 2 strengths for Meclizine. One OTC and a stronger version you needed a prescription for.

MNYTRPS2GO2
November 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
In New Jersey a prescription is necessary. Even though I had one the pharmicist tried getting me to purchase either Bonine or Dramamine. I can't use either due to a bad reaction to the artificial sweetners in them...

njhorseman
November 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM
In New Jersey a prescription is necessary. Even though I had one the pharmicist tried getting me to purchase either Bonine or Dramamine. I can't use either due to a bad reaction to the artificial sweetners in them...

No...I buy 25mg meclizine all the time without a prescription in NJ.

MNYTRPS2GO2
November 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info. The last time I got it was over a year ago and I needed a prescription. Since mine has now expired I'll have to check it out this week for an upcoming plane ride...

njhorseman
November 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the info. The last time I got it was over a year ago and I needed a prescription. Since mine has now expired I'll have to check it out this week for an upcoming plane ride...

No...I never have needed a prescription, extending back far more than a year. Are you trying to get 50mg meclizine? That may require a prescription. Are you trying to buy large quantities?

MNYTRPS2GO2
November 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM
No, it was for 25mg twice a day. When I first started cruising 10 yrs ago I used over the counter Bonine and was still getting motion sickness. When I realized it was the artificial sweetners making me sick I questioned the pharmacists about getting meclizine and I was told I needed a prescription. Once I got the prescription she still tried talking me into over the counter brands. I have since switched drugstores and I'll have to check CVS out this week..

njhorseman
November 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
No, it was for 25mg twice a day. When I first started cruising 10 yrs ago I used over the counter Bonine and was still getting motion sickness. When I realized it was the artificial sweetners making me sick I questioned the pharmacists about getting meclizine and I was told I needed a prescription. Once I got the prescription she still tried talking me into over the counter brands. I have since switched drugstores and I'll have to check CVS out this week..

My current supply of meclizine is from CVS, under their house brand, so you should be able to find it at your local CVS. As I recall, it's stocked in the stomach remedies area, because it's an anti-nausea medication. I also checked trhe CVS web site, and you can buy it there for $5.79 for 16 tablets.

drhry
November 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
check out healthwarehouse.com I have been buying it there for quite a while.$6.00 for 100 tablets. They also have chewable Meclizine.Plan to try chewables next purchase.

Marie51
November 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I went to Amazon.com and found sea bands and all the non-drowsy drugs and you can even order them in packages together.

I've seen the sea bands for sale in Walmart.

sail7seas
November 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Sea Bands are also available in Rite Aid and CVS.

Coracii
November 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Well then it looks like the bottle of 100 pills is the best buy but you sure will have alot of them!

They last quite a while, my wife may go through 15-20 per year. The last bottle we bought for her didn't expire for about 2.5 years, so there'll still be some leftover...

Taxguy77
November 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Weird.
I agree it's odd we can buy bonine but not meclizine. duh? Must have been an accountant who wrote that rule. :DBonine IS meclizine.

The best part of this whole discussion is the front office on HAL as well as Infirmary gives out meclizine upon request when there are rough seas.

Not an accountant, a politician! :rolleyes:
RWC, CPA

celyvabeach
November 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
i haven't worked in a pharmacy for a few years, but i do remember there are 2 strengths for Meclizine. One OTC and a stronger version you needed a prescription for.

The one that you need a prescription for is Antivert (Meclizine HCL by Pfizer) for vertigo patients. This is the kind that I take when I cruise since I have seasickness issues. The OTC Meclizine or Bonine did not do me any good. Hope this helps.

njhorseman
November 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The one that you need a prescription for is Antivert (Meclizine HCL by Pfizer) for vertigo patients. This is the kind that I take when I cruise since I have seasickness issues. The OTC Meclizine or Bonine did not do me any good. Hope this helps.

If you're taking ther 50mg strength you need a prescription. If you're taking 25mg, you don't need one...you can buy that strength over the counter as either generic meclizine or a brand name such as Bonine.

celyvabeach
November 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm talking about Antivert 25 mg by Pfizer, the real thing not generic OTC. In my state you need an RX to get hold of this meds in whatever strength....

njhorseman
November 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm talking about Antivert 25 mg by Pfizer, the real thing not generic OTC. In my state you need an RX to get hold of this meds in whatever strength....

Yes, if you insist on the package saying "Antivert" you need the prescription, but the active ingredient in 25mg Antivert is 25mg Meclizine HCL, which can be bought OTC.