PDA

View Full Version : Engine Room Fire Leaves Carnival Cruise Ship Without Power

LauraS
November 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Engine Room Fire Leaves Carnival Cruise Ship Without Power

Read the entire news article... (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4209)

Cuizer2
November 8th, 2010, 09:45 PM
What a terrible way to begin a vacation.

I have a friend who is supposed to be on the ship in two weeks. I guess things are not looking too good for her right now.

FireMonkey
November 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hey, full compensation, travel and a free cruise! I wouldn't be complaining, but of course there will those that will! I'm just glad nobody was hurt and they had the fire under control!

Murdoch007
November 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Glad everyone was ok. I was on that ship last year. The crew was great. This ship has had vary bad luck in the last month. With the fire, And the crew member that committed suicide. Just hate to here news like this.

fcombs
November 9th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I am feeling quite lucky right now. My husband and I just got off the Splendor Sunday morning in Long Beach, CA. They were having a Coast Guard inspection as we disembarked.
I am hoping that the weather cooperates and is reasonably cool as opposed to hot (like it was last week). Being on that ship with 3,000 people without air and no flushing commodes or running water could get quite unpleasant. I'm thinking I would have my blanket and pillow up on the deck or out on a balcony. But going to the bathroom would be a whole other matter. Let's hope the bottled water supply is adequate. Free cruise - who cares. I'm thinking those people on that ship may never want to cruise again. Wonder if they will serve liquor or lock it up. Hmmmm. So, do they want to keep the alcoholics drunk and happy, or are they going to dry them out during this crisis? If I were in charge I'd keep those people REAL happy.

RVP cruiser
November 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hey, full compensation, travel and a free cruise! I wouldn't be complaining, but of course there will those that will! I'm just glad nobody was hurt and they had the fire under control!
You took the words right out of my mouth Fire Monkey!!

jsfromsc
November 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm so sorry for those poor people who planned and looked forward to this vacation. Thank goodness no one was hurt or worse. And being anywhere without flushing toilets is a nightmare. I pray help gets to them fast.

ladyjane
November 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
The Today show reported that they do have backup power so the toilets and lights are working. THey asked if they have enough provisions of food and water which cracked me up. Sounds like they are just sitting off shore waiting to be towed in.

deepnite10
November 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
ive been away a bit..daughter-in-law and son are expecting twins..looks like its going to be necessary to cancel future cruise plans to help with the new borns..

i just read about this on my Comcast news..it would be just horrible if this happen d to me..the months of planning and scheduling down the drain on the first day of the cruise would be a real bummer..

but, its easy for me to sit here at home and say that everyone should be happy with the compensation Carnival is offering..i d probably complain loudly and then shut up..full compensation with refunds, transportation and a FREE future cruise is enough to shut me up..:D

fortunately we sail d on the Spendor in Jan..and except for the tough beef..we had a blast..

mayfair0325
November 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I would definitely hate to be a passenger on there today and feel horrible for all of them. Carnival is compensating them well it looks like.
Really i would hate to be part of the crew!! Im sure they are dealing with more than a few irate passengers. Yikes!

karen&roy
November 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
OMG...just saw a pic of the helicopters bring SPAM to eat on the splendor. Thats really bad :(

Cuizer2
November 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
OMG...just saw a pic of the helicopters bring SPAM to eat on the splendor. Thats really bad :(

Spam? :eek: Why are the passengers being punished? :rolleyes:

Nikki Lisette
November 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM
We cruised last Nov on Paradise - food was blah. I was thinking
of the folks on the Splendor and had a brief giggle at the fact
that they're faced with the same quality of food that was served
to us on the Paradise. Cold and blah. :D

I could live off of PB&J for a few days but I don't eat pork so Spam
is totally out of the question. Sitting out on our balcony would be
sweet... if you had a suite! :p It's definitely a bonding experience.

And I don't see how they're able to serve liquor, you have to swipe
the card for that and I'm sure most of the generated power is going
to be spent on working the water pumps (filtration system) and
lights and emergency steering equipment. I hope...

Cuizer2
November 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
We cruised last Nov on Paradise - food was blah. I was thinking
of the folks on the Splendor and had a brief giggle at the fact
that they're faced with the same quality of food that was served
to us on the Paradise. Cold and blah. :D

The passengers on the Splendor have it much worse. They are getting Spam. :eek:

And I don't see how they're able to serve liquor, you have to swipe
the card for that and I'm sure most of the generated power is going
to be spent on working the water pumps (filtration system) and
lights and emergency steering equipment. I hope...

Charges can be handled manually with paper. They do this all the time when they set up temporary tables outside with sale items.

Harborfamily
November 9th, 2010, 10:39 PM
We're booked on the Splendor on 11/21/10. It's so frustrating to not know whether we'll be going or not. Airline tickets? Non-refundable. I know that worst case scenario is that Carnival reimburses us, and we can use our air tickets at a later date, but will have to pay the difference plus fees. Problem is trying to find a time to go when our 12 y.o. won't miss school AND we don't have to pay the exorbitant prices during Christmas or summer... Ok, I've purged myself.... I agree w/a previous comment re: feeling really badly for not just the current passengers, but feeling the crew's pain. Yikes.

durblanks
November 9th, 2010, 11:42 PM
You could talk with Carnival about changing to a Caribbean ship. The Dream out of Port Canaveral leaves on 20Nov. There are several other 7day cruises available in your range. I'd give it a shot anyway. It looks like Splendor won't sail til at least 28Nov.
Since you already have the time planned, a reroute of planes could be the only factor, unless you are set on a West coast trip.

emilied
November 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
It looks like Splendor won't sail til at least 28Nov.

I am also planned on the Nov-21st cruise and wonder where you got that information?

Harborfamily
November 10th, 2010, 12:24 AM
You could talk with Carnival about changing to a Caribbean ship. The Dream out of Port Canaveral leaves on 20Nov. There are several other 7day cruises available in your range. I'd give it a shot anyway. It looks like Splendor won't sail til at least 28Nov.
Since you already have the time planned, a reroute of planes could be the only factor, unless you are set on a West coast trip.

I'd be happy just about anywhere, but yes, cost of airfare at this late in the game prohibits us from going to the East Coast. Where are you hearing that she won't sail until the 28th?:eek:

Lisakey25
November 10th, 2010, 12:39 AM

I totally agree I would have been ok with being on that cruise, and get a free one

Marlenascruising
November 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I in know way mean to make lite of the situation but on the news this morning they showed a split screen of before (partying, fancy drinks, and buffet lines)
and after (rows & rows of spam)

rostbp
November 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well, if you used up your vacation what good is another "free cruise". It is not really free as you just lost the one your were on!

lady_cruiser
November 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I wonder if the crew will be allowed to go to an upper, open deck at night. I can not imagine being in one of their cabins, with no windows or circulating air. Talk about inhuman conditions.

And I wonder how they will be compensated for their loss income when the ship is being repaired; no cruises, no gratitudes.

mstrc1
November 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Well, if you used up your vacation what good is another "free cruise". It is not really free as you just lost the one your were on!

Good point. :eek:

che5904
November 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
My heart goes out to the vacationers on the Carnival Splendor.

Carnival looks to be doing as much as possible to compensate those cruisers as well as any cruises they have to cancel due to this mishap. The media is having a field day with the “spam” photos, but for the most part whatever they can sensationalize they do.
For those people looking for information on their upcoming cruise, either go to the “news” section of Carnival web site or phone them.
Most vacations have some kind of unexpected curve and in this case more of a curve than normal but hopefully the ship is filled with a higher percentage of passengers that like to make the best of a situation.

Although I am not booked for my next cruise on Carnival, I do feel better going on a cruise knowing that their position of “passenger safety is utmost on our priorities, emergency procedures and provisions are in place” actually holds true. As far as I am reading this crisis was handled well and provisions put in place quickly for the passengers safety and to make them as comfortable as possible in this unfortunate situation.

And I do have to admit that I could think of far worse places to be stranded than on a cruise ship even with some amenities not available.

artsy-girl
November 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
We all love to cruise,...and although unlikely, deep down we all know something like this could happen on any cruise.

Imagine sleeping on deck with hundreds of other people! I'm looking forward to reading the personal experiences of CC members.

Se4deb
November 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
The smart passengers have already figured out that they can actually get three cruises for the price of one. This crusie albeit not what they had planned is still a cruise. I know that on a recent cruise that my family was on, a passenger fell ill and the captain had to turn the ship around to meet a helicopter. I don't think I am too far off when I say that a lot of passengers spent a lot of time on deck watching the helicopter approach, circle the ship for a hour, load the passenger and fly off. So the passenger still get to spend 5 days at sea for free. Plus they get their fare refunded (2nd cruise) plus a free cruise (3rd cruise). Seems like a good deal to me, but then I am not eating spam and pop tarts. I guess I am just a "glass half full" gal and willing to make the best out of a bad situation. I bet there will be threads full of people carping and vowing never to sail with Carnival again. Well ultimately that is their choice, but someone should hit me with a large cold fish if I give up two free cruises.

navychop3
November 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Toilets out? No problem, so long as I had access to a rope and a bucket!

Lost power and water several times on Guam after typhoons. Get in car, drive to shoreline, bring back a few buckets of flushing water.

deepnite10
November 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
SPAM s the state meat of Hawaii..a luau would be a nice
way to pass the time till they get to TJ.:D

UberCruiseQueen
November 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What a terrible way to begin a vacation.

I have a friend who is supposed to be on the ship in two weeks. I guess things are not looking too good for her right now.

It's all about perspective...your friend could be on the cruise right now!!! She may also receive some sort of compensation for her inconvenience. Hmmm...sounds like things are looking real good for her!!!

I remember a time when people where complaining that their flights were grounded, cruise date and itinerary adjusted...they were so inconvenienced!!! My only comment was, "I am sorry to hear of your vacation is not going to go as planned. Oh by the way, did you loose any family or friends in the towers, pentagon or other flights? Imagine the shocked look on their face...a jolt back to reality. Yes, all they could think about was their cruise and not the overwhelming tragedy of the day...Sept 11, 2001!!! It's all about perspective!!!

Kudos to all of those that are thinking of the passengers, crew and those who have assisted with aid!

Remember, this is the last thing Carnival wants as it creates a ripple effect for their business. As a past passenger of Carnival I believe they will do whatever they can to make things right.

On the other hand...the MEDIA. I have first hand experience at the pier of watching the media choose to interview passengers that are willing to blast the cruise line with all negatives and REFUSE to interview passengers who have positive things to say about how the cruise line has handled a crisis/issue. Remember sensational news gets better ratings.

apollobeach
November 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Let's all remember that, although this may be "stressful" for some of the passengers, there was nobody hurt - or worse - and, the Splendor is afloat.

There will be the group (hopefully small) that will, instead of making their first call to their family will call their attorney instead. Very sad indeed.

What Carnival has done is, in our opinion, admirable given the terrible situation everyone is in. Spam?????? Put some ketchup on it and it'll be fine!!!!!:D Hopefully folks with balcony cabins or suites have offered the balcony or the pull-out sofa to those who have inside cabins so they will at least have some air.

This whole thing is a very bad situation indeed - but, as the saying goes - from lemons try and make lemonade. Just attempt to make the most out of a bad situation. What else can the folks do? They are safe - that's the paramount concern.

John/Rick
:p

UberCruiseQueen
November 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Let's all remember that, although this may be "stressful" for some of the passengers, there was nobody hurt - or worse - and, the Splendor is afloat.

There will be the group (hopefully small) that will, instead of making their first call to their family will call their attorney instead. Very sad indeed.

What Carnival has done is, in our opinion, admirable given the terrible situation everyone is in. Spam?????? Put some ketchup on it and it'll be fine!!!!!:D Hopefully folks with balcony cabins or suites have offered the balcony or the pull-out sofa to those who have inside cabins so they will at least have some air.

This whole thing is a very bad situation indeed - but, as the saying goes - from lemons try and make lemonade. Just attempt to make the most out of a bad situation. What else can the folks do? They are safe - that's the paramount concern.

John/Rick

John and Rick,

Well said!!! In the event of a crisis at sea I hope to be sailing with passengers of your mindset.

Gotta Cruise,
Lori

5kids!
November 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
According to the Carnival website, only the Nov. 14 sailing has been cancelled so far. My daughter and future son-in-law are booked on the Nov. 21 cruise for their honeymoon. Hopefully Carnival will have the Splendor back in service by then. I feel for the folks on the ship now, but the people who are really getting the shaft are the people booked on the 14th. Carnival is giving them a refund and a voucher for a 25% discount on a future cruise. It's too late for them to make other plans, their vacation is ruined, and they get a lousy 25% discount which you can beat any day of the week on countless websites. Carnival should be giving refunds and free cruises to EVERYONE whose vacation plans they've trashed. It's the right thing to do.

iahawkize
November 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Well If EVER there was a good reason to pay the extra for Trip Insurance this is the one. Remember IF you don't book thru the cruise lines for airfare they don't pay (except in this case I guess) I feel sorry for the families that saved for this perhaps "once in a lifetime experience" Kids out of school lost vacation time from job etc.

As for opening up the bar idea someone posted.That would be a BIG MISTAKE. Nothing like a pisse doff guest getting drunk right? I'd vote for someone in the Marketing and PR Dept coming up with something positive for the media to grab on to as there are going to be PLENTY of upset passengers on websites such as Facebook and U-Tube and My space and of course CC badmouthing the line. ALSO the company needs to review their contingency plans for future emergencies.

Cuizer2
November 10th, 2010, 05:54 PM
It's all about perspective...your friend could be on the cruise right now!!! She may also receive some sort of compensation for her inconvenience. Hmmm...sounds like things are looking real good for her!!!

I remember a time when people where complaining that their flights were grounded, cruise date and itinerary adjusted...they were so inconvenienced!!! My only comment was, "I am sorry to hear of your vacation is not going to go as planned. Oh by the way, did you loose any family or friends in the towers, pentagon or other flights? Imagine the shocked look on their face...a jolt back to reality. Yes, all they could think about was their cruise and not the overwhelming tragedy of the day...Sept 11, 2001!!! It's all about perspective!!!

Kudos to all of those that are thinking of the passengers, crew and those who have assisted with aid!

Remember, this is the last thing Carnival wants as it creates a ripple effect for their business. As a past passenger of Carnival I believe they will do whatever they can to make things right.

On the other hand...the MEDIA. I have first hand experience at the pier of watching the media choose to interview passengers that are willing to blast the cruise line with all negatives and REFUSE to interview passengers who have positive things to say about how the cruise line has handled a crisis/issue. Remember sensational news gets better ratings.

Your post was very insensitive. Nobody currently on the ship is in any danger and they are being taken care of. Those on the Nov 14th cruise already know that their cruise is canceled. My friend has no idea what is going to happen to her cruise. Since the people on the ship are being looked after, I'll worry about my friend thank you.

Leafpeeper
November 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Glad to see so many positive comments. We had to live thru a week without power during the Blizzard of 1978. We didn't get any perks or refunds or promises of future cruises. We were stuck in our house with 3 kids and a grandmother with no heat and electricity. Our 2 year old finally learned how to tap the table when playing blackjack. Memories.

I would prefer a ship in 80 degree temps to my week of wind and cold rain here in New England. As long as I could lounge on my balcony or pool deck, there would be no complaining. Hope I smuggled my extra wine onboard!

Some free cocktails is not like getting people looped onboard. One free bottle of wine per cabin per day would not have been enough to make anyone obnoxious.

Last year we were stuck in the Bayonne terminal from 11am until 7pm because our ship was delayed coming from drydock. The ship arrived about 3pm, but still none of the crew came to the terminal to entertain the passengers. No trivia, kareoke, coloring books, kids activities, etc.
Made me wonder why the cruiseline don't have backup plans for emergency events. The entertainment on the ship could have come off and helped pass the hours.

Kathyh1313
November 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
The Today show reported that they do have backup power so the toilets and lights are working. THey asked if they have enough provisions of food and water which cracked me up. Sounds like they are just sitting off shore waiting to be towed in.

Why would this "crack you up" without electricity fresh foods go rotten very quickly. Unlike at home when you would use that food in the fridge quickly, cruise ships must follow public health standards on temperature of foods stored and served, both hot and cold. That's why the spam...meat that is canned can be stored and served at room temp.

junglecruiser1
November 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/livenow?id=7778663

sailing-nut
November 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hi All,

This really is too bad for Carnival....I too feel really sorry for the crew and cruisers....Plus they want there deposit in full with no refunds...I think I will stay with NCL....:)

Pete

sjmarante
November 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
i feel so bad for those people...

Passin Thru
November 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Not everyone is rich and to some this can be a one time cruise. I too feel bad for ruined vacations but ships like airplanes are subject to breakdowns. If you stop to think a ships engines run maybe 15,000 hours in 3 years or even more then one could expect a failure. Hopefully the line will make most of the people happy, you know not all will be. You can bet the crew are really frayed right about now.

Bimmerlover
November 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Glad everyone was ok. I was on that ship last year. The crew was great. This ship has had vary bad luck in the last month. With the fire, And the crew member that committed suicide. Just hate to here news like this.
Murdoch007:

I see you are getting ready to sail the Dream. Hoping you will give a review of the ship and your itinerary as my family and I will be sailing the Dream for Spring Break 2011. We have never cruised before so I am interested in any ship tips you have to offer. Wishing you a wonderful, fun, and safe trip.

CruiseFreak11
November 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
According to the Carnival website, only the Nov. 14 sailing has been cancelled so far. My daughter and future son-in-law are booked on the Nov. 21 cruise for their honeymoon. Hopefully Carnival will have the Splendor back in service by then. I feel for the folks on the ship now, but the people who are really getting the shaft are the people booked on the 14th. Carnival is giving them a refund and a voucher for a 25% discount on a future cruise. It's too late for them to make other plans, their vacation is ruined, and they get a lousy 25% discount which you can beat any day of the week on countless websites. Carnival should be giving refunds and free cruises to EVERYONE whose vacation plans they've trashed. It's the right thing to do.

Why is everyone saying Carnival owes people something??? If you are booked on a cruise for the 14th, you have MANY other cruises leaving on the 14th, 13th, 15th etc. SO you just move your itinerary - it may be a shorter cruise but who cares. People make me sick trying to get every last penny out of someone or some company - NO ONE could predict this, it happens. No one died. People get a grip - this is life, you can enjoy everyday of it and make the most of it, or just complain your way through and miss it.

apollobeach
November 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
We've been listening to all of the sniveling; sniping; complaining......and, quite frankly, am so sick of it.

All of the folks on The Splendor - HEADLINE - the offer of a free cruise from Carnival is good until 2012........so, stop complaining - - once again - you might want to remember - you were safe; the ship stayed afloat.........what more do you people want??????? And we agree - The Splendor was not the only ship sailing this weekend. If you had a computer - or - a good travel agent they(or you) could re-book for another ship/sailing........it's not rocket science.

And, how many people out of work and not knowing where their next meal is coming from would love Pop Tarts.

How many of you complainers offered, if you had one, some of your balcony space to those with inside cabins, so they could have fresh air???????

John/Rick

dawnscooby
November 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I hear what you are saying about Carnival not owing anyone anything but....My family is booked for the Splendor Jan 2 and Carnival is hopeful the ship will be ready...When we talked with Carnival today we offered to move to another Jan 2 sailing and they said we would be charged a $250 per person penalty...in the meantime we wait...and don't book airfare to ensure we don't incur airline penalties if the cruise ship isn't ready...so yes no one owes people money...but to be about 45 days from your vacation and needing to book airfare is frustating...I booked this cruise in March and now I may not have an answer for weeks to come and Carnival has my money IN FULL and I have nothing for answers...

yarlenna
November 12th, 2010, 05:06 PM
The ones I feel bad for are the crew and the children..

CruiseFreak11
November 12th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I hear what you are saying about Carnival not owing anyone anything but....My family is booked for the Splendor Jan 2 and Carnival is hopeful the ship will be ready...When we talked with Carnival today we offered to move to another Jan 2 sailing and they said we would be charged a $250 per person penalty...in the meantime we wait...and don't book airfare to ensure we don't incur airline penalties if the cruise ship isn't ready...so yes no one owes people money...but to be about 45 days from your vacation and needing to book airfare is frustating...I booked this cruise in March and now I may not have an answer for weeks to come and Carnival has my money IN FULL and I have nothing for answers...

You are talking JANUARY 2nd?? I mentioned the cruise for NEXT WEEK...REALLY? IF there is a problem with the SHIP THEY WILL SWITCH YOUR SHIP... Take a pill... man... people are just ridiculous

RuthlessBoss
November 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
[quote=Leafpeeper;26826892]Glad to see so many positive comments. We had to live thru a week without power during the Blizzard of 1978. We didn't get any perks or refunds or promises of future cruises. We were stuck in our house with 3 kids and a grandmother with no heat and electricity. Our 2 year old finally learned how to tap the table when playing blackjack. Memories.

Or in my case. How about 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks, no electric was the least of the problems. Try having half your house destroyed and still have to live in it waiting for contractor repairs!

Cuizer2
November 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I found an interesting report ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101112/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cruise_ship_mishaps

"If you want a completely predictable vacation don't go on the sea," said Carolyn Spencer Brown (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101112/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cruise_ship_mishaps#), editor of the industry trade publication Cruisecritic.com and a veteran of more than 200 cruises. "Ships are bigger and have better stabilizers than ever before, but they are still on the sea and the sea is nature and nature is unpredictable.'"

This statement is a bit troubling (he = maritime attorney Charles Lipcon of Miami) ...

"I think you'll find that Panama will just overlook the whole thing," he said of the Splendor mishap. "Otherwise they might have to spend money, and that would hurt Panama's flag of convenience business."

5kids!
November 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
We've been listening to all of the sniveling; sniping; complaining......and, quite frankly, am so sick of it.

All of the folks on The Splendor - HEADLINE - the offer of a free cruise from Carnival is good until 2012........so, stop complaining - - once again - you might want to remember - you were safe; the ship stayed afloat.........what more do you people want??????? And we agree - The Splendor was not the only ship sailing this weekend. If you had a computer - or - a good travel agent they(or you) could re-book for another ship/sailing........it's not rocket science.

And, how many people out of work and not knowing where their next meal is coming from would love Pop Tarts.

How many of you complainers offered, if you had one, some of your balcony space to those with inside cabins, so they could have fresh air???????

John/Rick

And I'm sick of heartless, arrogant, insensitive people who don't seem to understand that OTHER PEOPLE have specific windows of time when they can travel and when the cruise line notifies you 5 days before your cruise is to depart that it is cancelled, no computer or travel agent is going to be able to book you. Other ships sailing that date are FULL. Our daughter asked carnival to book them on the Victory out of San Juan leaving the same day, and to pay for the air since the Victory price was $500 less per person than the splendor they already paid for. Carnival refused. Also, the refund won't be processed for 10 working days. Maybe you have enough money stashed away to pay for ANOTHER VACATION at PREMIUM, LAST-MINUTE, HOLIDAY WEEK prices, but most new couples on their HONEYMOON do not! Carnival was not the least bit accomodating in trying to unscrew up my daughter's honeymoon trip. I stand by what I said before...A honeymoon vacation was paid for. It was not provided. They were not ever offered a "FREE VACATION". They were offered a refund that is too late to do any good, and a worthless 25% discount, and have no honeymoon. Something tells me if it was your child, you'd be screaming at the top of your lungs.

5kids!
November 23rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
[quote=Leafpeeper;26826892]Glad to see so many positive comments. We had to live thru a week without power during the Blizzard of 1978. We didn't get any perks or refunds or promises of future cruises. We were stuck in our house with 3 kids and a grandmother with no heat and electricity. Our 2 year old finally learned how to tap the table when playing blackjack. Memories.

Or in my case. How about 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks, no electric was the least of the problems. Try having half your house destroyed and still have to live in it waiting for contractor repairs!
In case you hadn't noticed, this was NOT a natural disaster. This was a man-made screw-up.

5kids!
November 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
You are talking JANUARY 2nd?? I mentioned the cruise for NEXT WEEK...REALLY? IF there is a problem with the SHIP THEY WILL SWITCH YOUR SHIP... Take a pill... man... people are just ridiculous
For someone who has taken so many Carnival cruises, you should know that Carnival doesn't have any other 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises. Maybe you need to lay off of the pills.

Eeyoregon
November 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Is there a point to this thread? Come on mods...shut er' down already.

donaldquackers
November 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I find most of this post disgusting. I was on that ship with 10 other family members. We made the best of it, and tried to help others as much as we could. We had 2 children, one with a birthday the day of the fire. I wish this hadn't happened to us but it did. Most of my family don't have any vacation days left for another year. If you weren't there you can't judge those of us that were. Now I'm home. The news has been talking about a blizzard, and to watch out for massive power outages. In my own home it will be fine. I have plenty of food stocks, flashlights, candles, working plumbing, blankets etc. There is no way you can even compare that to what we went through. Thank you Carnival for doing the best you could do, and I will cruise again as soon as I get more days.

NH Cruisers
November 24th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Carnival doesn't have fill in ships out there waiting. So no, they will not switch there ship. It is a legit worry being only 45 days out.

barneyboy2k
November 25th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Why does everything have to turn into a 'me me me' selfish syndrome?

Nobody died, nobody will die becasue of this. Some people on here need a re-think on life. Yep youll probably try to turn around what ive just said. Exactly the people im on about. Things A LOT worse can happen to your family than this.

mstrc1
November 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
How about we all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and be thankful of all that we do have with our loved one's and family. :)

Cruise or Lose!
November 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
One word - compassion. You weren't there (neither was I) so try to put yourself in the shoes of the people who were. Sure, a lot worse can happen, but what happened to them was pretty awful, considering all the time they had spent wishing and hoping and dreaming about their holiday.

navychop3
November 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Seems it turned out, it's not a free cruise, it's 25% off the next cruise.

Cuizer2
November 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM

What?

SANDYJABS
November 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Seems it turned out, it's not a free cruise, it's 25% off the next cruise.

It's BOTH - a FREE cruise anytime through 2012 and 25% off another cruise.

navychop3
November 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
It's BOTH - a FREE cruise anytime through 2012 and 25% off another cruise.

Wow.