PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got the white stuff yet?

Elizanessie
November 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
So has anyone got snow yet ?

I am heading over the pond a week tomorrow and I am hoping like mad that we don't have any of that white stuff around when I leave here.

BARBYDOLL
November 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM

I am heading over the pond a week tomorrow and I am hoping like mad that we don't have any of that white stuff around when I leave here.

No snow in York, but had lots of rain!

jocap
November 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Every year, we sing Handel's "Messiah" around this time. Last year, it was cancelled because of the sudden snowfall, and the soloists couldn't make it up from the south (Manchester).
So- it's a week earlier this year.....Thursday night....and the forecast is the 1st snow of the season.....
Here we go again!!!:eek:
(One of OH's rare appearances in a dinner suit, outside of cruising!)
Jo.

EtherlyCC
November 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Yes we had some white stuff today, (23rd Nov) went to work this morning in a blizzard......loooooverlyyyyyy, last week we were in the Caribbean in 90c sun, oh well never mind, soon be xmas:).

BARBYDOLL
November 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM
White stuff arrived in York this morning! Not much, but enough to slow down the traffic. I suppose the schools will be closing early. Nearly got taken out on the way to work by an idiot going round a corner too fast and coming right over to my side of the road, skidding wildly. Luckily, I was just able to stop. The skies are very grey, so maybe more on the way.

Elizanessie
November 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Drat it seems to be all around us up here...though not actually any in our town....but as I have to get a train very early on monday to Aberdeen where I fly to London from, I am getting a bittie nervous :( Not so worried about the London to Miami part of my journey...its just getting to London bit that is making me :eek:

Anyone here please from the Aberdeen area who can help with updates on the snow ?

gosport11
November 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
None here

SagaDame
November 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Had a light covering this morning but all away now. Weather been pretty bad further north I believe. Think we are due more soon. Love the snow.

jocap
November 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
The local news- Border/Tyne/Tees- showed some heavy falls down the east of the country, with schools being closed etc.....but not a flake over here on the west coast. But it was cold, singing in a vast church tonight....got home and had to have a hot shower just to survive! We were filmed by the above local news....they'll probably cut it down to 1 min 15secs......
Hope your journey goes well, Host E.:);)
Jo.

jacari_ja
November 26th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yes we have snow here which is a might unusual at this time of the year as we are surrounded by hills it ususally misses us but by the look of it it is here to stay for how long its just wait and see.
Mary:eek::eek::eek:

Elizanessie
November 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
We have the snow now also...not often we get snow...well apart from last winter.

under the bridge
November 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Up near Buxton and we have a dusting of snow but it's cold damn cold..

jocap
November 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
It's finally reached the Western Lake District, but just a smattering...beautiful on the mountains, especially as the sun was setting.
Jo.

Goldryder
November 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
York & suburbs got snow on 25th November, around 3" where I am, it almost all melted on the 26th, but overnight & into today it has laid another 4".

The snow is still here and more is forecast over the next week....could be a white Christmas at this rate, especially with temps dipping to -4 during the day & -7 at night,

Single Cruiser
November 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I was skating (in the car) on loose snow and ice today in the midlands!

SagaDame
November 28th, 2010, 06:18 AM
We had a thunderstorm during the night and the deep snow has caused chaos. I think the whole country has been hit. A day to stay home at the fire!:)

BARBYDOLL
November 28th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Just returned from Cambridge area, where there was no snow. Returned to a blizzard and had about 4 - 6" lying and its freezing cold. Grandchildren in the south are very jealous!

atush
November 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
We got the white stuff last tnight. Never seen it here in Nov all the years I've lived here. Never a snow day for school until last winter, now one for tomorrow.

Twins are happy anyway ;-)

How is your Alex? Moine is at Uni in B'ham.

jocap
November 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hi, Atush....I can see you out of my window.....and yes, we've had snow on the Cumbrian coast- quite a rarety.
Jo.

atush
November 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'd be able to see you too if it wasn't dark lol

poshtotty
November 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Hope Eliza gets away this morning, lots of snow, sky is very grey... Fingers crossed !!

jocap
November 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hope Eliza gets away this morning, lots of snow, sky is very grey... Fingers crossed !!
....and lots of snowed in airports....Newcastle was showing closed on the lunch time news.
atush....the IOM looked stunning today from our beach, with snow on Snaefell....really stood out against a blue sky.
Jo.

bonniecharlie
November 30th, 2010, 05:17 AM
seeing as we have a site not to do with cruising, my question is does Australia see "I'm a celebrity", an answer will quench my curiosity, as I did not know if the there was a site for general questions

sooty10
November 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Yes we have snow in Lancashire, think we will have lots more by morning.

Sooty

BARBYDOLL
December 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Fed up of the white stuff now. Will be pleased when it thaws. We have about 20" in the back garden and if it snows any more we won't be able to get off the drive to do our Christmas shopping or post the cards!!!

jocap
December 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
And who's got it back again????
Jo.

gosport11
December 19th, 2010, 03:45 AM
We have just cut short our vist to Ventnor on the IOW,as lovely as it is i wouldnt like to get stuck there,the roads in and out are really steep and its the last place the gritters get to

Tipsy252
December 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Had over a foot here in South Wales, just hope it all clears up for next Thursday - Flying to NOLA to catch the Spirit on 26th Dec :rolleyes:. Hope so anyway?

new salt
December 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
We are hoping to get to Gatwick on Thursday for Christmas and bi-annual rugrat inspection. My principal concern is getting out on Boxing Day and back to Spain, if we can't get there, oh well, too bad! If we are stuck there:confused:

Bon Voyage and Happy Christmas to all

PS I was a bit worried about the original title re the white stuff; I thought it might have referred to something rather more exotic than snow as we know it:eek:

catzdebbie
December 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Lots of snow here in Nottingham last week but so far no more. Fingers crossed it stays like it until Christmas Day.:)

Debbie x

taffNo1
December 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Had over a foot here in South Wales, just hope it all clears up for next Thursday - Flying to NOLA to catch the Spirit on 26th Dec :rolleyes:. Hope so anyway?

Think our Derek(BBC Wales Weatherman) got it wrong when he said a couple of cm's for today. Worse than the earlier snow here in Newport.:(
Sure it'll be much better by 26th though :)

gosport11
December 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM
Lots of rain yesterday afternoon,and its all gone now.Hope its not to icy :(:(

Tipsy252
December 21st, 2010, 06:15 AM
Having to dig the cars out today, so we can get to work tomorrow, LAST DAY before Holiday!!:D So have to finish a few things off and tidy the desk.
Travelling to Heathrow on Thursday PM for a flight on Friday. :( Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.:rolleyes:
Merry Christmas and safe travels to all.

jocap
December 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Having to dig the cars out today, so we can get to work tomorrow, LAST DAY before Holiday!!:D So have to finish a few things off and tidy the desk.
Travelling to Heathrow on Thursday PM for a flight on Friday. :( Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.:rolleyes:
Merry Christmas and safe travels to all.
Hope all goes well for you...:):cool:
Jo.

hat776
December 22nd, 2010, 01:32 AM
When this thread was started a month ago, I'm sure no one imagined that when Christmas was almost with us the UK would be in such chaos !!!
I'm sure you all have had enough of the 'white stuff'

jocap
December 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
N...absolutely sick of the stuff....!:(
But it's beautiful, too....wall to wall sunshine in the daytime, but bitterly cold.
Jo.

Elizanessie
December 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
N...absolutely sick of the stuff....!:(
But it's beautiful, too....wall to wall sunshine in the daytime, but bitterly cold.
Jo.

Even more beautiful when you are inside the house ...snug and warm with your favourite drink in hand ...and looking out the window at the darn snow.

Why is it though that no matter how much food shopping you do...the milk runs out when it is snowing or freezing outside and you are desperate for a cuppa :confused:

SagaDame
December 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
We are still white here. Temperatures are not reaching 0 during the day so the snow has virtually turned to ice. There are frozen snow piles at the sides of the roads and the pavements are still trecherous. The outlet pipe from the washing machine has frozen! :mad:

jocap
December 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Went into my tiny back yard ( and I mean about a yard square, not a garden), to find the resident robin sitting on top of his frozen water dish....he just stared at me, and only flew a short distance when I came out with the kettle. I have to do that several times a day, now.
Jo.

new salt
January 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Further to my post at #29 we got to the UK on time but ended up stuck at Gatwick for 3 days on the way home. Now putting travel insurance and a claim under the EU regs to the test. I will report back idc.

Elizanessie
March 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Grrrr we have the white stuff again :eek:

Couldnt believe it when I looked out this morning....snow snow flipping darn snow again :(

I did read yesterday that some ports in Greece were closed due to snow...that just seems...odd...never thought of Greece getting snow.

Och well back to hunting my winter boots etc.

jocap
March 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I went out for a pub lunch with friends on Mon, to Cockermouth. Glorious day, sunshine and a feeling of spring in the air.
Then we noticed the gritters coming down the road....
Jo.