PDA

View Full Version : Best Piano Player in Crooners on Princess?

buggystuff
November 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Will be taking my first Princess cruise soon, and have really enjoyed the piano bar on Carnival
It seems to be a big thing on Carnival, but perhaps not so much on Princess?

Comments?

geoherb
November 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Eric Stone was our favorite. He was on our Sun Princess cruise several years ago. Some people love Bert Stratton and Mauricio, but neither of them floated our boat.

holidayhelen
November 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Eric Stone was our favorite. He was on our Sun Princess cruise several years ago. Some people love Bert Stratton and Mauricio, but neither of them floated our boat.

We had Mauricio on our far east cruise and he packed them in - but not as much as Sammy Goldstein on the Star in Jan 2009. We have just returned from the Goldens Hawaii roundtrip and the piano bar was probably the quietest - the player was not too hot - Katy someone - only listened once and did not enjoy it at all.

On all our previous cruises the piano bar (crooners or promenade) was always packed with people even standing on the 'landing' and around the lifts just to listen

bethcollins
November 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Just goes to show that it's totally a matter of personal opinion. We loved Tommy McPhee but found Eric Stone to be intolerably boring!

SkyMaster
November 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I totally enjoyed Bert Stratton, but of course, he didn't perform in the piano bar. Most of the piano bar performers seem to be cut from the same mold to me. They're all O.K., but not so good that I can't wait to join them every evening.

"SKY"

LARGIN
November 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

Phyljim
November 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Maurizio is our favorite. Crooners (Prom) bar is our favorite. So we listen to them all, and mostly enjoy. But Maurizio is the only one we like well enough to remember his name.

RickEk
November 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

On our last voyage on the Sea Princess in July, the piano player in Crooners was hilarious. He was an okay singer and his repertoire was large, but it was his banter with the crowd and especially the folks that walked past him oblivious that a show was on... and what he'd say to them. Very funny. I was searching for my Patters but couldn't find them... I think his name was Martin something and he was British.

karatemom2
November 30th, 2010, 04:01 PM
On our last voyage on the Sea Princess in July, the piano player in Crooners was hilarious. He was an okay singer and his repertoire was large, but it was his banter with the crowd and especially the folks that walked past him oblivious that a show was on... and what he'd say to them. Very funny. I was searching for my Patters but couldn't find them... I think his name was Martin something and he was British.

I think you are referring to Larry Dunsmore. He was amazing. So funny! He was really a highlight for us on our Sea Princess cruise last summer.

RickEk
November 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I think you are referring to Larry Dunsmore. He was amazing. So funny! He was really a highlight for us on our Sea Princess cruise last summer.

Thanks for clarifying that... for some reason the name Martin stuck in my brain.

ILVTX
November 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Martin Kaye was the performer in Crooners for our Caribbean Princess cruise Nov. 14-21. He was fabulous, but unfortunately, has gone to find his fortune elsewhere. (In the recording industry, probably) He is British, and just became engaged, which may have been the reason to get off the ship.

jdm
November 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Our favorite was Brett Cave "Piano Man". I do not believe he is on Princess anymore. He was great. We were lucky to hear him on two cruises a few years back. Anyone know where he is now?

chanteur
November 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Roger Carr. Sammy Goldstein. Ron Merritt.
All three are terrific and really know how to work a room!

lynwar
November 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Barrington "Barty" Brown was on the Emerald Princess in Crooners on our Oct. 19-29 cruise. He played to an older audience and played showtunes and recounted the backgrounds of many of the composers and songwriters. There was music trivia session a couple of nights and he led the sing-a-long in the Piazza one night. I enjoyed him and he had a loyal following of those of us who enjoyed his showmanship-having started in the British theater. I saw him on our first cruise on the Sun Princess in 1998 and lost track of him until this recent one. I was very happy for the reunion. He also bantered with folks going by and would throw out "another piece of useless information" (his words) after giving us a tidbit of background on a Broadway show or singer.
There was a singer/pianist on the Emerald in Dec. 2007 whose first name was David. He was good, too. I think he went on to the Diamond Princess after that run.
Lynne

rdsqrl
November 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I loved him on the Coral -- Larry Dunsmore. The Basil Fawlty of lounge singers. Really talented pianist, and to me, a better-than-okay singer (heard worse, god knows!). Agree about the hysterically funny banter (but as we all know, I love me some snark), and a very nice guy "off-stage," too.

LisaroseNY
November 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Martin Kaye!!:D

jeffbrig
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Our favorite was Brett Cave "Piano Man". I do not believe he is on Princess anymore. He was great. We were lucky to hear him on two cruises a few years back. Anyone know where he is now?

Brett Cave was fantastic - we had him on a mediterranean cruise a few years back. Crooners was overflowing most nights. Great variety, some classics, some new (even some Coldplay). Very talented guy.

I did hear Bert Stratton on the Ruby last week. Caught "Sweet Caroline" 3x just walking through the piazza, and the one night we decided to stay a few minutes he played a montage of John Denver songs. Ugh... we're not all 60+. He's much more of a showman than a vocal talent.

DGSFlorida
November 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Just came off our 13th and 14th Princess cruises, we have never seen as good an entertainer in the piano bar as Tom Franek. He is a young and upcoming talent who also does a show in one of the main lounges during each cruise. Check him out on YouTube. He is an exceptionally talented guy who tailors his presentation to the audience as well. He expands his show to the entire atrium with his high energy.

macusr
November 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Sammy Goldstein is terrific! We also enjoyed Jere Ring but I don't think he does much on cruise ships anymore.

Times Prince
November 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Daniel Mills was the best for us. Invited, encouraged, and received a lot of audience participation and singing with good repertoire, some humor, and great showmanship.

Haven't seen anyone half as good since. Yes there are some good pianists and solo singers but none who had overflow crowds every night.

WeBeGone
December 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Maurizio is our favorite but unfortunately his ships and our ships have been passing in the night lately !! :(

holidayhelen
December 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Sammy Goldstein is terrific! We also enjoyed Jere Ring but I don't think he does much on cruise ships anymore.

According to his website he still is on Princess - there is a list of the ships he will be on

many cruises
December 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Jerry Ring was a great Crooner's performer. We would love to see him again. :)

macusr
December 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM
According to his website he still is on Princess - there is a list of the ships he will be on

That's absolutely true for Sammy (www.sammygoldstein.com).

Jere seems to be permanently based at the Amore Ristorante in Palm Springs CA.

kool kruiser
December 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
From a brit's perspective.....Paul Burton

buggystuff
December 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM

Bert has sailed with Carnival, and lots of folks like him over there

If anyone has recently sailed and knows the piano player and/or schedule, please repost , starting a list

Crown Princess - Eric Stone Present til ?
Emerald Princess - Barrington (Barty) Brown - Present til ?
Ruby Princess - Bert Stratton - Present til ?
Star Princess - Sammy Goldstein http://www.sammygoldstein.com/- September 23, 2010 - January 9, 2011

unboringuy
December 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Martin Kaye!!:D

I agree.

spingal
December 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
Eric Stone!!! Love him! :D

OCNJ Cruiser
December 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Roger Carr!!!! I never saw him personally, but my parents did and bought his CD, which is how I learned to love him! A few years ago I was in Laguna Beach for a wedding and it just so happened that he was performing at the very same hotel where the reception was. Of course the reception was a Friday night, I took an early Sat morning flight and he was performing Saturday night! It just seems like I will never see him in person! Wonder if he'll ever come back to Princess?!

Jimjam
December 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
MAURIZIO (I think that's how it's spelled).. Most are good but MAURIZIO really gets everyone in the groove.. Every night everbody is yelling "MAURIZIO I LOVE YOU." Enjoyed him on several different cruises/ships. He has been with Princess a long time..

reggielew
December 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi!

I've really enjoyed Eric Stone, Sammy Goldstein, and Martin Kaye, but my all time favorite is Bert Stratton. He is on the Ruby Princess now until December 19th, and then will be doing a special "Bert Cruise" aboard the Ruby Princess on January 30th. However, on that cruise he will not be playing in Crooner's, but will instead be giving 3 private shows for those passengers who specifically booked through his travel agent as a private group.

By the way, Bert has never entertained on Carnival, so the previous poster may have been referring to someone else. He used to be on Dolphin Cruise Lines, but he has been on Princess for the past several years. Now, he is only on the ships sporatically as he has moved to Nashville and is hoping to "make it" as a songwriter. If Princess needs him as a fill-in from time to time, he will be on a ship for a few weeks here and there, but unfortunately, there is very little advanced notice. In fact, that is the reason that he has scheduled the private group aboard the Ruby on January 30th.

Reggie

pablo222
December 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM

Barty signed off on 11/28

He's doing the ruby transatlantic in the spring.

And, 40 days in the winter -- but I can't remember if it's
on Emerald or Ruby

He's a nice guy. We first saw him on the old Crown Princess in 1992

HelloHelloHola
December 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Brett Cave was fantastic - we had him on a mediterranean cruise a few years back. Crooners was overflowing most nights. Great variety, some classics, some new (even some Coldplay). Very talented guy.

I did hear Bert Stratton on the Ruby last week. Caught "Sweet Caroline" 3x just walking through the piazza, and the one night we decided to stay a few minutes he played a montage of John Denver songs. Ugh... we're not all 60+. He's much more of a showman than a vocal talent.

Hi feffbrig, Martin Kaye from the Caribbean Princess also played a couple of Coldplay songs. He even played the theme song from Titanic. He said maybe this is a mistake, but everybody was cool about it. You should hear the entire audience joined him on Brown Eyes Girl.

It was standing room only every night when he was performing.

Tanga
December 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
We had Chris Turner on our South America/Antarctica cruise in 2009 on Star. We loved him so much, we still keep in touch! He's now on Caribbean Princess.

lynwar
December 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Pablo222,
Thanks for the info on Barty Brown. I tried to find his schedule but had no success. I know that his wife was going to join him on the Emerald on November 8. The transatlantic sailing might be his way to get back to England for awhile, so he might return to the States on the Ruby in late winter, do you think? Or fly back and be on the Emerald again if she leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale, his American home. It's interesting that we both saw him in the 90's.
Lynne

Posaune
December 2nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
I really enjoyed hearing Daniel Oliver.

buggystuff
December 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hi!

I've really enjoyed Eric Stone, Sammy Goldstein, and Martin Kaye, but my all time favorite is Bert Stratton. He is on the Ruby Princess now until December 19th, and then will be doing a special "Bert Cruise" aboard the Ruby Princess on January 30th. However, on that cruise he will not be playing in Crooner's, but will instead be giving 3 private shows for those passengers who specifically booked through his travel agent as a private group.

By the way, Bert has never entertained on Carnival, so the previous poster may have been referring to someone else. He used to be on Dolphin Cruise Lines, but he has been on Princess for the past several years. Now, he is only on the ships sporatically as he has moved to Nashville and is hoping to "make it" as a songwriter. If Princess needs him as a fill-in from time to time, he will be on a ship for a few weeks here and there, but unfortunately, there is very little advanced notice. In fact, that is the reason that he has scheduled the private group aboard the Ruby on January 30th.

Reggie

I stand corrected, I misread the Carnival piano players thread at the very beginning (it's the longest running thread on Cruise critic)

Maybe folks could add to the list if they know for sure whom is playing on which ship?

donnajl
December 3rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
During our 18 cruises, the piano player we have seen most often is Barty Brown. The first time we saw him (our first cruise) there was an unusual amount of elderly British passengers who participated in many WWII songs -- we were way too young and felt left out. We must have matured since then (2002) because we recognize more of the tunes Barty plays. We also have sailed with entertainer Vincent Laurentis, another Brit, who totally enjoys playing -- whether he had an audience or not. His "Bumble Boogie" was requested nightly and each time he played, it was fresh and original. The CD on the cruise was Billy London. Billy would join Vincent at Crooners each evening and take requests, much to the delight of everyone. Probably the most unusual was Jere Ring, whom we have seen only once. Jere had a huge notebook filled with 8 x 10 autographed photos of many, many celebrities. He claimed to be a protege of Liberace. Part of his "schtick" was to wear a dog's nose and floppy ears or flip a silly sign at an unsuspecting cruiser walking by (and not listening to his tunes). People would slink away, embarrassed with everyone else laughing like heck. We've asked around if Jere's been on any Princess ships and were told he's off on another line. He was an unusual performer, to say the least.

shopperwhite
December 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
does anyone know who will be on the ruby jan 16th cruise in crooners? thanks.

Ninja50
December 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
We met Brett Cave on the Coral a couple of years ago. Absolutely love him!! We never missed seeing at least some of his show every night and he always packed 'em in. I would love to run into him again on a future cruise. Anybody know if he still performs on any Princess ships?

mikjr
December 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM

DITTO!! Ray plays a version of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" that is beyond great!

Sactosinger
December 6th, 2010, 03:22 AM
We were just on the Crown Princess and Eric Stone was performing in Crooners. He's pretty good. There were at least two other pianists on the ship - one in Adagio every evening. One of them should provide the entertainment you want.

travelholic13
December 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Everyone has their own "favorite" but mine is Martin Kaye. We met him a couple of years ago on Vision of the Seas. We were there every night and became good friends with him. We booked another cruise about a year later on the Sapphire Princess, just because he was there. And we just got back from the Caribbean Princess on 11/7/10 and chose it just because Martin was there. He has become an incredible friend to my husband and I, and if he ever gets back on another ship, we will be there to see him. So my FAVORITE piano man is Martin Kaye.

I am Martin's personal stalker! :)

minikiss
December 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Another vote for Martin Kaye.
We saw him on the CB just before he left to pursue his career further.
The week before at the end of his set in the theater he thanked the band for their part in the show and asked if we minded if he sang a song he had written for his girlfriend. At the end he got down on one knee and propossed to her. Glad to say she said yes! We enjoyed him so much we ended up planning our dinner times around his shows in Crooners.
We had a bad start to our cruise and when we got back my dad asked if anything had been a highlight of it. After giving it a little thought i said listening to the piano man in the crooners bar while drinking a Dunes martini.
Bought one of his CD so now all i need is the receipe for that cocktail!
Hope they found an equal replacement but for us we doubt it.
Wish him every luck in the future and hope he makes it big so we get to hear more of him.
Julia

buggystuff
December 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Would like to hear from recent cruisers to add to this list:

Star Princess - Sammy Goldstein http://www.sammygoldstein.com/- September 23, 2010 - January 9, 2011
Caribbean Princess - Martin Kaye ??

Margarita Jane
December 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Larry Dunsmore gets my vote. I became a martini drinker because of him!

buggystuff
December 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Anyone report on a piano player and the ship?

Lolar
December 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM
We had Chris May onboard a Caribbean Cruise on the Grand - he was a New Orleans jazz pianist. Excellent! I understand he is going to be on the Diamond Princess later this month

jkocpa
December 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone report on a piano player and the ship?

My personal favorite, Arny Galoyo, is currently on the Emerald and will be there until March 7, 2011. Then he comes back on the Emerald from April 17 - July 17 and then goes on the Grand from August 20 - end of the year.

Arny sings in 6 or 7 languages, engages the audience through "name that tune" and sing-a-longs,, does all requests (so every night is different depending on what people request) and is one of the nicest, most fun, personable people I know. My husband and I have cruised 6 times with Arny over the past two years and have 4 cruises set in 2011 to cruise with him. He is not only a great entertainer and a wonderful person, but has become a very good friend of ours. We only cruise if we know that Arny is on-board in Crooners.

zacc
December 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hands down the best I have heard in Crooners was Heather Sullivan. Excellent musician and vocalist.

It's hard to talk about the best without making reference to the worst....Bert Stratton.

buggystuff
December 26th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hands down the best I have heard in Crooners was Heather Sullivan. Excellent musician and vocalist.

It's hard to talk about the best without making reference to the worst....Bert Stratton.

Wow! That's the first I've heard that didn't like Bert. I personally have not heard him but seems many do like him

Reckon that's why there's different folks...

buggystuff
January 31st, 2011, 01:16 AM
I stopped in a number of times, and to say the least, was not impressed at all.
While being somewhat personable, Eric Stone was less than entertaining.
I would put him at the "cocktail piano" player level on Carnival
Anyone else care to weigh in?

jkocpa
January 31st, 2011, 04:59 AM
I stopped in a number of times, and to say the least, was not impressed at all.
While being somewhat personable, Eric Stone was less than entertaining.
I would put him at the "cocktail piano" player level on Carnival
Anyone else care to weigh in?

Buggystuff, you have it wrong here. On the Emerald is Arny Galoyo, present until March 7. and then again April 17 - July 17.

Coracii
January 31st, 2011, 05:22 AM
Roger Carr!!!! I never saw him personally, but my parents did and bought his CD, which is how I learned to love him! A few years ago I was in Laguna Beach for a wedding and it just so happened that he was performing at the very same hotel where the reception was. Of course the reception was a Friday night, I took an early Sat morning flight and he was performing Saturday night! It just seems like I will never see him in person! Wonder if he'll ever come back to Princess?!

He's on the Diamond right now.

cruisinggirl13
January 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM
My personal favorite, Arny Galoyo, is currently on the Emerald and will be there until March 7, 2011. Then he comes back on the Emerald from April 17 - July 17 and then goes on the Grand from August 20 - end of the year.

Arny sings in 6 or 7 languages, engages the audience through "name that tune" and sing-a-longs,, does all requests (so every night is different depending on what people request) and is one of the nicest, most fun, personable people I know. My husband and I have cruised 6 times with Arny over the past two years and have 4 cruises set in 2011 to cruise with him. He is not only a great entertainer and a wonderful person, but has become a very good friend of ours. We only cruise if we know that Arny is on-board in Crooners.

Another vote for Arny G.

imola
January 31st, 2011, 04:47 PM
Our vote is for Sammy Goldstein who we believe is the best entertainer at sea. We met Sammy on our first Princess cruise, we were heading to Alaska. We have sailed with him since and look at his schedule on sammygoldstein.com before booking our cruises to try to match up our sailings. Although he is appears at sea about 8-9 months a year we have been lucky enough to see him also appear on land. We have no problem jumping on a plane to go see him in the U.S. because we think he is that good. Sammy is great at interacting with the crowd and remembering folks names and making them feel very special not only while at show but thoughout the cruise. He has a large following on facebook as well. If you are on a ship that Sammy is aboard please take time to stop by and enjoy his wonderful talent.

According to his website he is aboard the Diamond from January 27- April 20, 2011.

pablo222
January 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Buggystuff, you have it wrong here. On the Emerald is Arny Galoyo, present until March 7. and then again April 17 - July 17.

I think, in that break March 7 - April 17 is Barty.
And, if I remember correctly, he's then doing the TA on the Ruby.
...so that he could end up in England for some charity work.

crusinpeg
January 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM
My vote goes to Bert Stratton!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putterdude
January 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM
We like Ray Coussins, we have heard Chris May a number of times but he tries just a little to hard...Coussins is a real entertainer.

lynwar
January 31st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I will miss seeing Barty on the Emerald. We were with him in October. The March-April timing is just a terrible time at work for me to be away. While he may not be the best to many, he is certainly personable and gives a good, intimate Broadway based show that commands a loyal audience.
Lynne

Tennessee88
January 31st, 2011, 10:28 PM
My vote goes to Bert Stratton!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine too!

SkystheLimit
February 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
We love Maurizio! He's currently on the Coral.

Raamo
February 1st, 2011, 08:56 AM
We got of the Star last month at the same time as Sammy. He was a whoot! We do hope to run into him again.

raquel
February 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
The piano bar with an entertaining, get-the-audience-all-jacked-up piano player has always been one of the highlights of our cruises :D That said, anyone know who is entertaining us on the Caribbean Princess for our March 20th cruise?
We've had great ones...and we've had duds! :mad:

njdevil08
February 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Another vote for Martin Kaye...sadly, as others have mentioned, he no longer works in the cruise industry. I did buy his album though, and that's really saying something. It's quite good.

SomeBeach
February 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Our vote is for Sammy Goldstein who we believe is the best entertainer at sea. We met Sammy on our first Princess cruise, we were heading to Alaska. We have sailed with him since and look at his schedule on sammygoldstein.com before booking our cruises to try to match up our sailings. Although he is appears at sea about 8-9 months a year we have been lucky enough to see him also appear on land. We have no problem jumping on a plane to go see him in the U.S. because we think he is that good. Sammy is great at interacting with the crowd and remembering folks names and making them feel very special not only while at show but thoughout the cruise. He has a large following on facebook as well. If you are on a ship that Sammy is aboard please take time to stop by and enjoy his wonderful talent.

According to his website he is aboard the Diamond from January 27- April 20, 2011.

Imola, I love Sammy. My last cruise with him, 2009 TA, he kept teasing me about my red slippers. I had knee surgery so wearing heels into the evening wasn't working. I'd go to his show with my little fuzzy red slippers and every night he'd say he was going to steal them. At one of our port stops I found a pair of red slippers, lobster shaped :p and got them for him. He wore them the rest of the night, even the claws couldn't stop him!

buggystuff
February 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Emerald Princess - Arny Galoyo til March 7. April 17- July 17
Diamon Princess - Sammy Goldstein - Jan 27 to April 20, 2011
Coral Princess - Maurizo present til ?

Ok, the small print.
I'm simply doing my best to publish this *unofficial* list
Will rely on cruisers and entertainers to keep it updated and accurate
Please inform me if you know an entertainers schedule

LARGIN
February 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Just received an email from Ray Coussins. He will be playing piano on the Crown starting March 12th..

imola
February 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Imola, I love Sammy. My last cruise with him, 2009 TA, he kept teasing me about my red slippers. I had knee surgery so wearing heels into the evening wasn't working. I'd go to his show with my little fuzzy red slippers and every night he'd say he was going to steal them. At one of our port stops I found a pair of red slippers, lobster shaped :p and got them for him. He wore them the rest of the night, even the claws couldn't stop him!

That's our Sammy, he loves to have fun and the next time you sail with him even if it is 2-3 years he will remember your name. When we did our round trip Hawaii cruise with him he would get a lei in port and them at his show each night he would "lei" someone. We got him one night. We had brought glow sticks and battery operated tea lights on board with us. During one of his breaks we handed them out to his by then regular huge crowd and had someone request a special song (which of course escapes me now). We all knew that at one point in the song he would close his eyes and get into the music and at the point the glow sticks and candles came out and in the air. We stopped him dead in his tracks, he was in tears laughing so hard. It was great, even the bar staff loved it. Actually he was really touched that his fans cared enough.

Sammy is a great guy. We have all his albums and play them at home and in the car. We hope to see him again soon. We love surprising him either on land or sea.

Thanks for sharing your story and making me smile on a cold and rainy day.

Pia1913
February 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
The "unofficial list" says that Sammy left the Star in January. Does anyone know who's on the Star now? We'll be on board for a month as of February 23rd.

hansi
February 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Just goes to show that it's totally a matter of personal opinion. We loved Tommy McPhee but found Eric Stone to be intolerably boring!

Tommy McPhee is a good singer but he's far too LOUD!

bandmp
February 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Does Princess post a schedule of entertainers scheduled on ships?
Thanks - :)Mary

jkocpa
February 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Not that I have ever seen. And, actually, a couple years ago I wrote to the entertainment office at Princess headquarters to ask about a schedule for a particular entertainer and was told that they couldn't give it to me. Not sure if it was because they didn't have it yet (I asked in the fall about the following year) or if they did not want to give it to me, in case it changed.

simbasmom
February 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
The "unofficial list" says that Sammy left the Star in January. Does anyone know who's on the Star now? We'll be on board for a month as of February 23rd.

Our son is a musician for Princess, but he's not joining the Star until around Labor Day. But if he calls in (he's on the Sea Princess now), I'll ask him if he knows. I wish I could help more. The entertainers, at least in music (although I suspect all of them) kind of keep track of each other. There's a lot of chatter on Facebook. I'm sure lots of entertainers would love to know how much they're appreciated.

NancyIL
February 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Martin Kaye was the performer in Crooners for our Caribbean Princess cruise Nov. 14-21. He was fabulous, but unfortunately, has gone to find his fortune elsewhere. (In the recording industry, probably) He is British, and just became engaged, which may have been the reason to get off the ship.

Everyone has their own "favorite" but mine is Martin Kaye. We met him a couple of years ago on Vision of the Seas. We were there every night and became good friends with him. We booked another cruise about a year later on the Sapphire Princess, just because he was there. And we just got back from the Caribbean Princess on 11/7/10 and chose it just because Martin was there. He has become an incredible friend to my husband and I, and if he ever gets back on another ship, we will be there to see him. So my FAVORITE piano man is Martin Kaye.

I am Martin's personal stalker! :)
I enjoyed Martin very much on our June 23 Crown Princess British Isles cruise. His girlfriend (now fiance) was on that cruise, and he left the Crown when our cruise ended.

Dolicissima
February 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
my vote goes to bert stratton!!!!!!!!!!!!

i totally agree...my vote goes to bert startton now on princess - he is the best of the best!

Celandine
February 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Daniel Oliver.... 100%

The only piano player I've ever listened to night after night.

Hell, I'm still imagining him singing in my mind at night...

anyone who might have his facebook information please share it with me! (he does not have a website, but there are hundreds of Daniel Oliver's on facebook)

buggystuff
February 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM

No, that's why we are trying to keep an updated list here, but rely on cruisers and performers as to whom is on what ship, when, how long, etc

So, please, if you have returned from a cruise, tell us !!

jkocpa
February 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
No, that's why we are trying to keep an updated list here, but rely on cruisers and performers as to whom is on what ship, when, how long, etc

So, please, if you have returned from a cruise, tell us !!

Buggystuff,

I can tell you that besides being on the Emerald now and in April - July, Arny Galoyo is scheduled to be on the Grand from Sept. 20 to the end of the year.

Janet19
February 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Does any one know where Roger Carr will be in September?

Thanks...

CFLCruisers
April 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I really enjoyed Bert Stratton on 2 previous cruises.
Cruise in Oct. 2010 had "Barty" Brown. If you were 70+ and British, you'd love him. I'm not & could not stand him. Only had 1 martini in Crooner's as a result.
I'm waiting to hear from Princess entertainment who will be the entertainers for the 10/19/11 Emerald Princess cruise & will post here & on the roll call.

Vexorg
April 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM

So it wasn't just our cruise then. I swear, on the Ruby cruise I took a few weeks ago it seemed like we heard "Sweet Caroline" about half a zillion different times, including twice in the karaoke with the band session. Had the song stuck in my head for a week after I got off the ship :p

travlin
April 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
We loved Roger Carr. We still listen to one of his cd's.

travlin
April 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Here is a link to his website http://www.rogercarr.com/calendar.html

Ninja50
April 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM
We just left the Royal in Tahiti and Roger Carr was the piano player. We had a lot of fun with him as he interacts well with the audience. However, he does play some really old tunes (we are in our early 50's) and his repetoire was the same every night. His show was very predictable after the 3rd night.

kaybeeeeeee
April 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
As of the first week of March, Chris Turner was on the Caribbean Princess. We very much enjoyed Chris and it was fun learning that he wrote the new commercial jingle for Princess.

zahav1
April 21st, 2011, 05:24 PM
I loved Maurizio, he was on the Coral this winter. Bert was also great but very different. Bert is more sing along and Maurizio more for dancing, some singing and lots of good listening. Both a great.

black_velvet
May 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Tom Franek is wonderful! He was on our Island cruise two years ago, and we're looking out for chance to be on a cruise with him again. He posts his schedule at http://www.tomfranek.com/

We just got back from the Diamond, where they had someone called Craig something, I think. Good pianist and singer, but not what I'd call an entertainer; more like background music at Crooners, whereas Tom really puts on a show.

Mind you, Noelia, the bartender at Crooners, had a hell of an act...

NJRonbo
May 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I can't see anyone topping the talents of Ray Coussins.

He has a God-given talent, and, he's very personable.

We were so honored to have spent time with him via Crooners at night and The Sanctuary by day aboard Crown Princess.

We are booking our next cruise solely based on whatever ship he is on.

halbob
May 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I have seen Bert Stratton on two cruises and he had filled the lounge and had standing room only on both cruises.
Thts Bert with an E. So good, so good, so good.

bigguy1
May 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
We had Mauricio on our far east cruise and he packed them in - but not as much as Sammy Goldstein on the Star in Jan 2009. We have just returned from the Goldens Hawaii roundtrip and the piano bar was probably the quietest - the player was not too hot - Katy someone - only listened once and did not enjoy it at all.

On all our previous cruises the piano bar (crooners or promenade) was always packed with people even standing on the 'landing' and around the lifts just to listen

Sammy Goldstein was the best!! We had him on the Diamond on a cruise from ANC to BKK. Does anyone know if he still works for Princess??

Crown Cruiser
May 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
My husband and I liked Bert the best!

imola
June 25th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Sammy Goldstein was the best!! We had him on the Diamond on a cruise from ANC to BKK. Does anyone know if he still works for Princess??

Yes, Sammy absolutely does still work for Princess. He is on his own vacation right now but will be returning to work on July 9th aboard the Sea Princess to do Alaska for a short time before she starts a more exotic run. I have included a link to his website where he keeps his schedule so that you can see what ships he will be on in case you want to crusie with him again. We have taken trips to see him perform on both land and sea. He did a concert in AL while on this break so we we drove 500 miles each way to see him. He is a wonderful entertainer and person. Don't miss a chance to see him perform.

http://www.sammygoldstein.com/

shirley44
February 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
We were on the Grand Princess January 17 - 31st, 2011. We totally enjoyed the evenings spent listening to Tommy Mcphee in the piano bar. He can sing almost anything but unfortunately he likes the volume up too high. We listened from a distance and totally enjoyed it that way. He can get everyone moving, it is hard to sit still and listen to his music.

CALIGAL42
April 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Here is a link to his website http://www.rogercarr.com/calendar.html

Geeeeeeeez, great link for Roger Carr - he's amazing. Thanks again

west coast cruiser
April 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Eric Stone was in Crooners on the Star last month and he was fabulous.

steveww48
April 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
From a brit's perspective.....Paul Burton

Here's another strong vote for Paul Burton (and we're not British). Paul was on the Star with us in October 2011 and we thought he was terrific. Once we discovered him, my wife and I spent time in Crooner's every night.

Daniel1313
April 25th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I would cancel my cruise if I heard Bert Stratton was playing in Crooners....

RickEk
April 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I would cancel my cruise if I heard Bert Stratton was playing in Crooners....

ooooo... I hope you have your flame-retardant suit on. :p I've not seen him, but there a lot of folks here who absolutely adore him.

Vanilla
April 26th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Anyone know who will be on the Golden August 18 - 25 to Alaska?

freetocruise
April 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.

lv2cruiseanywhere
April 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz

grandmaa
April 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.

That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!

LARGIN
April 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz (http://www.thepianoplayer.biz)

Agree.. Ray is our favorite...

cruisinggirl13
April 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Arny G is our favorite, by far!! Most versatile, personable, entertaining, and talented. We book cruises just to go with him.

freetocruise
April 26th, 2012, 08:50 PM
That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!

Only three ships have an Adagios and we usually seem to be on those without one.

grandmaa
April 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
You are correct..the newer ships have Adagios. It is really a lovely spot..we have enjoyed it on the Ruby and Emerald.

PescadoAmarillo
April 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Barty signed off on 11/28

He's doing the ruby transatlantic in the spring.

And, 40 days in the winter -- but I can't remember if it's
on Emerald or Ruby

He's a nice guy. We first saw him on the old Crown Princess in 1992

Barth only left for the holidays and returned to the Emerald either 1/7 or 1/17.

fathercop
April 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.

Pythian
April 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Just received an email from Ray Coussins. He will be playing piano on the Crown starting March 12th..

I'm on the Crown tomorrow and hope Ray Coussins is still on-board. He is superb. Personally, I like Larry Dunsmore the best - humor, voice and playing talent. As for Bert Stratton - Yikes! A lot of people like him, but I sure don't. Listened to him for about 20 minutes once and did not like him at all - and then every evening, I would hear the exact same comments/music and 'skit' as I left the dining room and had to pass by him and the bar.

mysweetness
April 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
we were on the Grand last week and really enjoyed Alan Shields at Crooners.
he is a wonderful piano player and singer.
he is not an over-the top showman demanding attention.
he just plays his music...and he'll take requests.
some people talk a little but most are listening.
one night he had his own show in the Vista lounge.

also love Barty on the Emerald.
completely different type, but so much fun and full of information.
more storytelling than singing.

WeBeGone
April 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Maurizio

jkocpa
April 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.

Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.

Carolyn R
April 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I like Kory Simon. He was on the Crown this winter and I also sailed with him a few years ago on RCCL Navigator of the Seas.

drbillmc
April 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.

Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill

jkocpa
April 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill

Hi Bill. No, Arny won't be on the Grand. He was on the Grand all last fall. He will be on the Island this fall, doing the Panama Canal runs. We are joining him for two of them, the Sept 28, 15 day full transit and the Dec 10 partial transit. In the meantime, we will be doing two short cruises, the May 12 coastal on the Sapphire from LA to Vancouver and the a short 4 day to Ketchikan and back on the Golden. One of these years we will be back on the same ship together! Have a great trip around Ireland! We had talked about doing two weeks driving around England, but hasn't happened yet. Since I'm still working, when I take time off, I really like the relaxation of cruising, and not the stress of driving on the "other" side of the road.
Take care.
Judy

sssteele
April 29th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?

PLW0520
April 30th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?

Yes he was on our AUS/NZ cruise on the Diamond in Jan. We really enjoyed his shows.

CarnPrinRoyHollNor
June 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Does anybody know who will be on the Diamond 7/21-8/4/12?

Also, is Crooners enclosed? Is it a smoking bar?

Thanks!

ChiefBoats
June 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
We were on the Coral in Feb/Mar for a Panama Canal cruise and the entertainer in the Crooners Lounge was the piano player for Frank Sinatra.

laughing husky
June 2nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
How can you find out the entertainment on board? Will be on the Diamond tomorrow....

Putterdude
June 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
We were on the Coral in Feb/Mar for a Panama Canal cruise and the entertainer in the Crooners Lounge was the piano player for Frank Sinatra.

That would have been Ray Coussins who is a very versatile performer in the sense he has a full night club act which we have seen him do in the Princess Theatre when another performer was ill....and he was very entertaining.:)

alreadypacked
June 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
The piano bar is one of our favorite venue's on Carnival and now we're in the process of deciding between Caribbean Princess and the Ruby--so glad to hear the piano bar is alive and well on Princess!

BTW, Crooner's on the Ruby looks like a slightly bigger venue than on the Caribbean (based on the deck plan drawing). Is that the case?

kool kruiser
June 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
The piano bar is one of our favorite venue's on Carnival and now we're in the process of deciding between Caribbean Princess and the Ruby--so glad to hear the piano bar is alive and well on Princess!

BTW, Crooner's on the Ruby looks like a slightly bigger venue than on the Caribbean (based on the deck plan drawing). Is that the case?

Yes it is and IMHO a better one too

One of our favourites as well