Just back from Progreso!!

pambud96

I will be writing a detailed review soon, but we just returned home from our cruise on the Triumph Dec 11-16.

Am willing to answer questions on the things we did in which we booked thru Auto Progreso when we arrived at the port and went to the Reef All inclusive.

Did you by chance see the prices of the drinks at the bar at the terminal? I just want to hop off the boat and get a quick drink and hop back on.

Beers were 2 bucks.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you do not at least explore outside of the port area. The port area by no means is any indication of this area of Mexico.

I loved the drive to and from the Reef and wish we had went with a private tour of the sites instead of just going to the all inclusive. It was nice but I let things I had read detour me from doing anything adventurous. BIG mistake. The people are lovely and yes there are poor areas, but not sure where you live but parts of Tennessee are just as poor, yet beautiful. Just my opinion!!

Beers were 2 bucks.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you do not at least explore outside of the port area. The port area by no means is any indication of this area of Mexico.

I loved the drive to and from the Reef and wish we had went with a private tour of the sites instead of just going to the all inclusive. It was nice but I let things I had read detour me from doing anything adventurous. BIG mistake. The people are lovely and yes there are poor areas, but not sure where you live but parts of Tennessee are just as poor, yet beautiful. Just my opinion!!

Thanks for the reply, we aren't going into port because of Money, not because of reviews or concerns. I highly doubt that progresso is any worse than many places I've been. This is an extreme budget cruise this time and I only want to spend $10 bucks or so and I know if I go to buddys or anywhere else I will drop more. Again, thank you for the info, it was a huge help!

I too travel on a strickt budget. The bus to the historical center of Merida is 3 bucks, round trip. Bldgs dating back to the mid-1500s. The oldest cathedral of the Americas. A very large modern city which still retails its colonial past. Very safe and clean. I've been there on three port calls and 3 two week vacations.

I too travel on a strickt budget. The bus to the historical center of Merida is 3 bucks, round trip. Bldgs dating back to the mid-1500s. The oldest cathedral of the Americas. A very large modern city which still retails its colonial past. Very safe and clean. I've been there on three port calls and 3 two week vacations.

Please tell me about the bus to Merida. Where is the bust stop? How often does it run to/from Merida? And where do they pick me up in Merida to bring me back to Progreso? Thanks :)

Butterfly, can you tell us a little about the personal guide? We will be going (13 of us) in April, and I'm to the point of planning what we will be doing. I'm like the "travel agent" for my family. I'm the one who does all the research and gets all the tickets. Something I enjoy, but get nervous doing because what if I pick the wrong thing and we have a horrible experience! LOL We have never been to Progresso. My husband and I have cruised 2 times, this will be the 3rd. But the rest have never been on a cruise or seen the beautiful waters of the Caribbean! I can't wait to show them all.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Butterfly, can you tell us a little about the personal guide? We will be going (13 of us) in April, and I'm to the point of planning what we will be doing. I'm like the "travel agent" for my family. I'm the one who does all the research and gets all the tickets. Something I enjoy, but get nervous doing because what if I pick the wrong thing and we have a horrible experience! LOL We have never been to Progresso. My husband and I have cruised 2 times, this will be the 3rd. But the rest have never been on a cruise or seen the beautiful waters of the Caribbean! I can't wait to show them all.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sure. You can pm me if you need additional info. His name is "Pablo", real name is Robert. He is an American that has lived in Progresso 20+ years. I found his info on the board and he is fantastic. IHe took us to a local church, Uman (a city), an authentic Mayan restaurant near Uxmal ruins, and Uxmal ruins. He got us back 1.5 hrs before the ship left, was friendly, and constantly checked the time. A great guy, carried on wonderful conversation, and is just plain ole NICE. Will post more info/PICS to my blog in the coming days and you can pm me to see pics. I don't know if I can post his info, but here it is...if it blocks it contact me.

email: rabbit777mx@yahoo.com Websites below...

http://members.tripod.com/~rabbit777/

Also visit Pablo´s Chicxulub Crater Tours web site at

http://rabbit777.tripod.com/pablo/ It´s Bigger and better!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll vouch for Robert, too.

Sure. You can pm me if you need additional info. His name is "Pablo", real name is Robert. He is an American that has lived in Progresso 20+ years. I found his info on the board and he is fantastic. IHe took us to a local church, Uman (a city), an authentic Mayan restaurant near Uxmal ruins, and Uxmal ruins. He got us back 1.5 hrs before the ship left, was friendly, and constantly checked the time. A great guy, carried on wonderful conversation, and is just plain ole NICE. Will post more info/PICS to my blog in the coming days and you can pm me to see pics. I don't know if I can post his info, but here it is...if it blocks it contact me.

email: rabbit777mx@yahoo.com Websites below...

http://members.tripod.com/~rabbit777/

Also visit Pablo´s Chicxulub Crater Tours web site at

http://rabbit777.tripod.com/pablo/ It´s Bigger and better!!!

Please tell me about the bus to Merida. Where is the bust stop? How often does it run to/from Merida? And where do they pick me up in Merida to bring me back to Progreso? Thanks :)

Hi postalgrrl, the bus terminals are the best places to catch the bus as you can buy your round trip ticket using US dollars. The Progress terminal is a few blocks (easy walk) from where the ship bus drops you. When you get off the ship bus go to the left to the corner and take a right, follow the road till you rech a park turn right and the terminal is down on the right. In Merida take the bus to the terminal (so you will know where it is) in Merida take a right when leaving the terminal and go a few blocks to the square. The locals will be helpful if you get lost - most speak some english plus there are many expatriates living in the area.

• 1 month later...

Another budget friendly thing to do is the Double Decker bus tour.

Last July it was $3.00, not sure what it is now . When you get off the

ship, hop on the free shuttle bus and ride down the pier, about 4 miles. It

drops you off in town at the little open air market. The same place you

get off the bus, is where you get on the double decker. They drive you

around the town showing you this and that. It is nothing fancy, and not

real long..maybe 20 minutes, but I have not heard anyone not say they

didn't liked it.

As conchead says, at least do the double decker bus tour...we always sit on top...and you have to duck your heads at some of the street corners or the wires will whack you. Its actually kinda fun. After the tour, you can walk across the street and check out the market..its kinda interesting. Then you can walk a couple of blocks to the beach, and if nothing else take a stroll and see the sights. Unless you cant or dont like to walk around a bit, its better than just getting back on the boat, especially if the weathers nice.:)

Archived