PDA

View Full Version : Military Discounts


MizzCard
February 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Some one mentioned they received military discount cruises in another thread and one of the posters gaffed him off, as it wasn't part of the topic of that specific thread. How does one go about receiving this type of discount? I've never had much luck with TA's on base.

paws43tails
February 6th, 2005, 11:10 PM
call carnival directly and speak with them... they'll hook you up!

Steamboatin
February 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Am retired military officer.

Several cruise lines have military discounts.

The militry discount offers vary by cruise line. Some for only active duty, others to active and retired, while others include active, retired, Reserve and National Guard as well. Some cruise lines offer discounts on all cabins while others offer it only on interior and window cabins.

Am retired military and when we sail with Carnival we alwasys sail at a military discount that is always lower than their best ever sale price. Have sailed a 7 day Southern Caribbean on the Destiny with a veranada cabin for only $410 for the wife and I each. Got a similar low fare on the Spirit going from Ensenada to Honolulu on a 12 day repositioning cruise.

Holland America limits there military discounts only to active duty in interior or window cabins. Being retired military we cannot participate in their military discount program.

Other cruise lines also offer military discounts so check with the various cruise lines.

Call up the cruise line(s) that you are interested in and ask. What have you got to loose, right!

Equally important is that cruise lines also offer discounts to certain non-military normal occupations as well and this too varies by cruise line.

When I cruise on Carnival I call Carnival to get a price and cabin number. Than let my local AAA Travel Agent know about it and book it through her as AAA Travel only requires a 5% deposit with the remaining 95% due upon final payment date. Thus, difference in deposit money stays in my pocket until final payment date.

By the way Amtrak also has military discounts. But their senior disconts are equal and easier to use.

Steamboatin
February 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I am sorry after having another cup of coffee I realized that I made a big mistake in AAA Travel's cruise payment policy. I said it was 5% down and that is incorrect. It is only $25.00 down per person. An even better deal. With balance naturally due on final payment date.

Sueseb
February 7th, 2005, 01:10 PM
We are cruising with family on the Zaandam 3/26. Oor son is in the military and I was told that HAL does NOT offer a military discount.

JDee
February 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I am sorry after having another cup of coffee I realized that I made a big mistake in AAA Travel's cruise payment policy. I said it was 5% down and that is incorrect. It is only $25.00 down per person. An even better deal. With balance naturally due on final payment date.

That's a new one on me. Will have to check that out. I also use AAA and have always had to make the appropriate deposits required of the particular cruise line. Am not a AAA member, but do use their cruise travel services. Maybe that's the difference??

MizzCard
February 7th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Comeaux....you have been very helpful. We are retired military, and never thought to ask for a discount for cruises. USAA offers cruises, but never found them to be any less than our local TA. I don't have AAA, because USAA offers just about the same benefits with my auto insurance. We live in a active military community and our TA never even mentioned this or even offered...hmmmmm!
I'm considering a short Carnival cruise to the Bahamas in October, guess I'll be calling them direct. Will do even more research for our extended cruise next year too!
Again...thanks for your help!

Donna

memabumpee
February 9th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Yes Donna get that discount I paid 249.00 each for a total of 496.00 for two of us on a 7 day cruise on the Victory call them and ask although sometimes they do not want to tell you to much. tell them you read it on a website that the cost was 249. I did read it but can not remember which one but, Carnival had extended it for 18 months. Check Military. com as well it is written that Military discount is 249.00 GOOD LUCK

MizzCard
February 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Yes Donna get that discount I paid 249.00 each for a total of 496.00 for two of us on a 7 day cruise on the Victory call them and ask although sometimes they do not want to tell you to much. tell them you read it on a website that the cost was 249. I did read it but can not remember which one but, Carnival had extended it for 18 months. Check Military. com as well it is written that Military discount is 249.00 GOOD LUCK
I'll check out Military.com...think we're already registered.