PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus Outbreak Impacts QM2 Holiday Cruise

LauraS
December 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Norovirus Outbreak Impacts QM2 Holiday Cruise

Read the entire news article... (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4297)

DIRTYBIT
December 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Well its happening again. Im sure its the water. Airplanes stopped smoking being allowed due to the expense of having to bring in fresh air, maybe the same thing is happening here with the water, its not being filtered enough, the cuise companies are cheaping out again. or its airconditioning, funny now that the new airconditioning cfc free, we seem to have alot more cases of people getting sick...hmmmm

Krazy Kruizers
December 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear that some people became ill while on a Holiday Cruise.

Semolina
January 1st, 2011, 02:49 AM
My Dr also cruises and he is sure it is the water. He says they can never really clean the tanks, so don't drink ships water and maybe brush your teeth with bottled water.

BruceMuzz
January 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
Your Doctor should concentrate on things he knows something about.

Ship's water holding tanks are inspected and cleaned regularly.
But even if they were not, any water pumped into and out of them is constantly monitored, filtered, and treated with either chlorine or bromine in order to kill any and all organisms in the water.

When the USPH inspects all ships calling at US Ports, one inspector spends the entire day going over the water monitoring logs for every day since the previous inspection. If there are even the slightest discrepancies in chemical balance, the ship loses points on the inspection and the results are published all over the internet.

Finally the water is subjected to high intensity ultra violet light (intense enough to kill you if you were in the room where it occurs) that guarantees that nothing - including viruses - can survive.

spongerob
January 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Well its happening again. Im sure its the water. Airplanes stopped smoking being allowed due to the expense of having to bring in fresh air, maybe the same thing is happening here with the water, its not being filtered enough, the cuise companies are cheaping out again. or its airconditioning, funny now that the new airconditioning cfc free, we seem to have alot more cases of people getting sick...hmmmmI don't think that there are "alot more" [sic] cases today than in years past. The cause is, as it always has been, people who bring the disease on board with them, fail to seek medical assistance, practice poor hygiene, and spread it around. It comes down to personal responsibility, no more, no less. The only thing that there seems to be a lot more of these days is Typhoid Mary's who won't do the right thing.

BTW, airlines don't pay for fresh air. There's tons of it outside. The air you breathe inside is the same as outside.

MrPete
January 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
This has been running through our extended family since our Christmas gathering. Been kinda interesting watching how it's been spreading.

Yet none of us has stepped near a cruise ship in more than two years.

Checking the newspapers and web sites to see if we are even mentioned anywhere.

Caribbean Sunsets
January 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
IMO, at this time of the year, people are more likely to be susceptible (to illness) with traveling in from different climates, busy preparing for their cruises, finishing up work and/or holiday commitments. It's easy to get run down.

EmJake's Bubbie
January 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Your Doctor should concentrate on things he knows something about.

Ship's water holding tanks are inspected and cleaned regularly.
But even if they were not, any water pumped into and out of them is constantly monitored, filtered, and treated with either chlorine or bromine in order to kill any and all organisms in the water.

When the USPH inspects all ships calling at US Ports, one inspector spends the entire day going over the water monitoring logs for every day since the previous inspection. If there are even the slightest discrepancies in chemical balance, the ship loses points on the inspection and the results are published all over the internet.

Finally the water is subjected to high intensity ultra violet light (intense enough to kill you if you were in the room where it occurs) that guarantees that nothing - including viruses - can survive.Glad to see the record clarified - you are very correct. :)MrPete: sorry for your problems, but you are correct, also.
Wash.Wash.Wash hands.

MrPete
January 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
... And it works! Came through unscathed!

Semolina
January 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Well I agree with that. I am always scrupulous with hygiene, washing hands etc. I have even taken a can of lysol spray with me and cleaned door handles etc in the cabin. If I see this Dr again I will pass on the information about the water. It is good to know. Thanks

lannp
January 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
It's unfortunate the QM2 has been branded the Christmas Grinch.
Sadly it can happen on any ship. In June 2008 we had delayed boarding while they sanitized the Maasdam and in February 2009 it was the Coral Princess.
We also hear about nursing homes, hospitals, etc. being closed to visitors because of viruses, etc. What makes this newsworthy is it's a holiday cruise which you may have been counting down for 6 months and for some people it may be the only vacation they get this year.

commodoredave
January 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM
In addition to all the practical medical advice (washing hands, etc.), I will offer up my own prevention/cure for Norovirus, flu, colds, etc. :

- Mild case: 2 ounces of 10-year scotch twice daily ;

- Strong case: 3 ounces of 15-year scotch three times daily;

- Severe case: 4 ounces of 20-year scotch four times daily.

This remedy is guaranteed to cure your virus, cold, flu, etc. within 5 days. Furthermore, you will feel much better being sick. ;)

spongerob
January 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
... And it works! Came through unscathed!Fancy that!

I've also heard that a daily application of adult beverages is a good preventive measure. My recommendation is for both. Happy New Year Pete.

Happy ks
January 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Well I agree with that. I am always scrupulous with hygiene, washing hands etc. I have even taken a can of lysol spray with me and cleaned door handles etc in the cabin. If I see this Dr again I will pass on the information about the water. It is good to know. Thanks

But, what are you going to do when you're out of your cabin? Take your can of Lysol and spray everything ;)

If only we could see viral germs, then we could avoid them. I believe it is all pure luck, even with good hygiene. You can scrub your hands till they bleed, but if you are exposed to the viral germs elsewhere it does you no good.

You just have to do your best about staying healthy, don't stress out too much, get plenty of rest, eat right, drink lots of water and say active. If you drink, I have to disagree with the above statements regarding alcohol. I don't drink often and once in a while I drink too much, but overindulging (I believe) can lower your immunity.

It's all luck of the draw. I had Noro-virus last year and it was 8 weeks after I disembarked a cruise ship. Nasty stuff, took me 10 days before I felt back to normal. It wasn't related to anything other than germs, no one else in my family had it and no one else at my #1 job had it. The only people I knew who had it along with me were 2 women from job #2 and the weird thing was, we weren't around each other for days before we all came down with it.

MrPete
January 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Happy New Year Pete.

Same to you! ;)

ceejay3377
January 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
It is interesting to read all about the "preventative" measures such as hand sanitisers etc. that cruise ships now have. I work in the food industry, and we use hand sanitisers in addition to good hand washing practices. Sanitisers are terrific if you are trying to guard against a bacterial infection or illness. However norovirus is a virus, and as far as I am aware, hand sanitisers, sanitising sprays and other similar products do very little to prevent infection/transmission of viruses, with the exception that they raise the awareness of the importance of personal hygiene. I am more concerned at those who use hand sanitisers instead of washing hands!!! These are the people who are endangering their fellow passengers ...

On a side note, in my cruises in the past (HAL and P&O), the ship staff have been vigilant in being seen to be cleaning, but what about the cruise card???? It can change hands dozens of times a day, and nobody thinks that maybe this could be a source of virus transmission. It has always struck me as odd when compared to the amount of visible "prevention" ships go through. JMO.

Cheers,

Carina

2ndCitySue
January 3rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Be sure to make a quick exit if you happen to encounter anyone vomitting on board. High tail it out of the affected room and onto the outside deck (fresh air) if possible. Vomit is well documented for spreading norovirus.

MrPete
January 19th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Being those sanitizers also kill the GOOD bacteria you WANT on your hand to kill the bad stuff, you will NEVER catch such junk in our house, nor find us using it.

We are hand washers. And healthy ones at that. The sanitizer preachers always seem to be sick. And they don't know why.

smeyer418
January 19th, 2011, 06:42 AM
BTW, airlines don't pay for fresh air. There's tons of it outside. The air you breathe inside is the same as outside.

in a way they do pay for it. the more fresh air=more fuel is used. because the air is pressurized, it comes in through a by pass system in the engines. The more its by-passed the less fuel efficient the plane is.

http://www.intentblog.com/archives/2006/11/what_are_you_br.html

but in many cases its fresher than in an air conditioned environment.

but this is ot.....wash wash your hands often and keep your hands away from your face(and nose)....