PDA

View Full Version : United States Only Ports of Call

cruisin614
January 11th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hello
I am looking for a cruise that does not leave the United States that goes to the Caribbean Islands. Most look like they include Mexico or Turks and Caicos. I know I have the option of selecting a Hawaiin or Alsakan cruise but they tend to be more expensive. Anyone know of any that keep it American? Thank you!

klfrodo
January 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hello
I am looking for a cruise that does not leave the United States that goes to the Caribbean Islands.I am so confused by that sentence Most look like they include Mexico or Turks and Caicos. I know I have the option of selecting a Hawaiin or Alsakan cruise but they tend to be more expensive. Anyone know of any that keep it American? Thank you!

A cruise that does not leave the US but sails to caribbean islands.?? :confused:

There is probably a ferry that goes from San Juan to St. Thomas maybe?

cruisin614
January 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Oh sorry I should've said US Virgin islands only but I thought it was considered the Caribbean hehe whoops So PR and USVI only

paul929207
January 11th, 2011, 07:27 PM
The Passenger Vessel Services Act severely limits the cruise ships that can sail only within the US. Only ships that are constructed in the US, registered (flagged) in the US and employing at least 80% Americans. Of the major cruise lines only the one NCL ship in Hawaii meets these requirements. At one time NCL had three ships in Hawaii, but they had difficulty getting enough Americans to work.

cruisin614
January 11th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Wow that explains a lot.Thank you so much You're so smart!

Dayenu
January 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Don't all cruises to Alaska have at least one stop in Canada?

paul929207
January 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
All the major cruise lines (such as Princess, HAL, etc) do have a stop in Victoria or Vancouver. I think there are one or two small lines that meet the PVSA rules and only call on US ports.

spny84
January 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to only American Ports but you know you do not have to get off the ship at any port you don't want to.

Several lines also have cruises to nowhere where all you get are sea days. I also think many repositioning cruises from like NY to San Juan/Miami visit Southern US Coastal Cities; not sure if they throw in an island to meet the PVSA Rules.

BruceMuzz
January 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Don't know how much time you have spent in St Thomas or San Juan.

There is a very good reason why nearly every cruise ship that calls at St Thomas leaves before dark. The crime rates in St Thomas are skyrocketing.
On the rare occasions when my ship has been there after dark, we require all crew to be back onboard before sundown. It's just too dangerous.

San Juan is a bit safer. But the local police and taxi drivers are so corrupt that we have to caution all passengers and crew to take special care when going ashore there.

PennyAgain
January 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM
There are some small ships that do only Alaska, but they are expensive.

mtwingcpa
January 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM

One exception would be the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (US flag vessels) departing from Bellingham, WA and not docking again until Ketchikan, AK two nights later.

mikedw
January 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
You also have American Cruise Lines that has about 5 small ships, about 100 passengers that does cruises along the US Coast.

SeattleCruiselover
January 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
One exception would be the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (US flag vessels) departing from Bellingham, WA and not docking again until Ketchikan, AK two nights later.

Actually, they stop in Prince Rupert BC before stopping in Ketchikan.

silentbob007
January 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to only American Ports but you know you do not have to get off the ship at any port you don't want to.

Some people do have passport/visa/immigration issues that would make boarding the cruise that stops at a foreign port an issue ... not suggesting that the OP does, but I am studying with people from other countries who cannot take a cruise as they are not sure they would be allowed back into the US once they've left.

beachchick
January 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Several lines also have cruises to nowhere where all you get are sea days. I also think many repositioning cruises from like NY to San Juan/Miami visit Southern US Coastal Cities; not sure if they throw in an island to meet the PVSA Rules.

Unless the ship is US-flagged (US-built ship and primarily US-crew), they must have a foreign port stop, island or mainland, unless the cruise begins or ends at a foreign port.

beachchick

mtwingcpa
January 14th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Actually, they stop in Prince Rupert BC before stopping in Ketchikan.

When I rode the Columbia a couple of years ago, there was no stop in Prince Rupert or any other Canadian port. At that time AMHS had another ship that embarked from Prince Rupert, but it did not cruise to Washington state (it only went north to Alaska).

SeattleCruiselover
January 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM
When I rode the Columbia a couple of years ago, there was no stop in Prince Rupert or any other Canadian port. At that time AMHS had another ship that embarked from Prince Rupert, but it did not cruise to Washington state (it only went north to Alaska).

Their current schedule shows a stop at Prince Rupert at 36 hours. Maybe that is only for winter time?

mtwingcpa
January 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Their current schedule shows a stop at Prince Rupert at 36 hours. Maybe that is only for winter time?

I haven't been able to find that. Which ship and month are you looking at?

spny84
January 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Some people do have passport/visa/immigration issues that would make boarding the cruise that stops at a foreign port an issue ... not suggesting that the OP does, but I am studying with people from other countries who cannot take a cruise as they are not sure they would be allowed back into the US once they've left.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to give me an explanation. I was just curious, my thinking was person was nervous getting off in foreign country :o.

KKB
January 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
THOUSANDS of people are cruising at any given time; 99.9%+ get off on foreign ports w/o issue.