Book and music lovers; trivia lovers

Waswo

I wonder if anyone can say which luxury lines might appeal to us?

We would like to plan a "luxury cruise." My husband and I are both professors who enjoy conversation. We are also rather manic about playing trivia games. We like music--especially classical, but have enjoyed some of the Broadway themed shows. We like beaches and swimming pools and dining rooms that are not too crowded.

I don't think that we are snobs but we might enjoy talking about books or movies or history or current events more than swapping pictures of grandchildren. We can do a bit of that, but not endlessly. We like good food but are not genuine "foodies."

Because we are still working we really cannot take more than 11-12 days and we are looking for next January or February (Caribbean).

So--where can we find good music, decent coffee and tea, and a rousing trivia game?

I do believe that Crystal might be just the ticket for you. They have an excellent trivia game, good food, fantastic service and because they are a larger ship than the other luxury lines, you have an endless stream of different and interesting people to converse with.

There's no question in my mind that you are describing Crystal. However, with just 2 ships, they don't often do "Caribbean" cruises. In January, 2012, they do have several Panama Canal cruises on their schedule. Please go to the Crystal website and look at the entertainment programs for specific cruises - think you'll be surprised at the variety of lecturers, classes, entertainers, etc.

There is trivia on every luxury line, including Seabourn, Silversea, Regent etc. And on every luxury line you will meet sophisticated, well traveled people who are versed in a variety of areas. This is hardly confined to Crystal. I would also let itinerary and lifestyle aboard guide. For instance, what size ship would you like? Do you prefer all inclusive where all alcohol and tips are included? Do you prefer open seating for dining or assigned seating? Your best bet is to consult a travel agent who is well versed in all the luxury lines and let him/her guide you.

Thank you for all of the responses. I really appreciate them. I just wanted to get an over view of what kinds of daily programs one might expect on a luxury line. I don't have many preferences in terms of what is or is not included nor whether the seating is open or assigned. We are, however, confined to a limited range of dates for a winter break--and here in February a winter break to a sunny clime seems paramount.

I hope that I did not give the impression that I am sophisticated---hardly that! Just getting to the point where more cruises seem more feasible and a lot more fun than snow-shoveling.

I've never had an experience that I disliked.

One final question--we are not smokers and I am assuming that smoking is limited to certain spaces and that none of the luxury lines might have rooms with stale smoke?

Thank you again so very much. I probably will look for a decent travel agent and have found mention of quite a few possibilities here.

One final question--we are not smokers and I am assuming that smoking is limited to certain spaces and that none of the luxury lines might have rooms with stale smoke?

Thank you again so very much. I probably will look for a decent travel agent and have found mention of quite a few possibilities here.

The only luxury cruise line that does not permit smoking in suites is Regent. Silversea and Crystal do not permit smoking on balconies.

Seabourn is inclusive of everything except airfare and excursions. . . . Silversea is inclusive except for airfare on certain itineraries, excursions and one or two speciality restaurants. Regent is inclusive of all of the above. Crystal is not inclusive . . however, they give on board credits that may pay for incidentals (you still must sign for drinks, etc.)

Ship Size: Crystal is the largest at approx. 1000 passengers. . . . Regent has two ships that hold 700 passengers and one with 490. Silversea ships run from approx. 300 to 540 while Seabourn has ships that are either 209 passengers or 450.

Silversea is the most formal cruise line followed by Crystal, Seabourn and Regent.

I agree that it would really help to speak with a travel agent that has specific knowledge of luxury cruising. A regular travel agent will not do. You can search the internet and find TA's that can answer all of your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I can certainly vouge for Crystal re competitive Team Trivia-it is one of the most fun at sea activites one can participate in.or language classes,lectures,computer instruction, needlepoint,dance instruction,etc. As for the quality of the food? I eat so much better on Crystal than I ever do at home.You canhave food special ordered with 24 hours notice.I travel solo as I am a divorced woman and have found most people to be quite friendly ,especially poolside if not busy reading or sleeping ! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Crystal, Silversea, and Seabourn might have rooms with stale smoke, no matter what anyone tells you about never having smelled smoke in a room, but Regent should not, since it is banned in the rooms.

Did you say whether you prefer more or less formality in dress?

If you would rather leave the formal clothes at home, then the only one of the above which is not very dressy is Regent.

>"Seabourn might have rooms with stale smoke, no matter what anyone tells you about never having smelled smoke in a room" I sailed >250 days on Seabourn and have never had a suite that had any stale smoke odor in it at all. Smoking is very limited on Seabourn.

Archived