PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural Cruise! June 3rd 2012! BREEZE ROLL CALL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

WiggleBay
June 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
gotta get ready to call it a night. have to get up at 445am:eek:
Every one have a good night or as they say in Italian: avere una buona notte

WiggleBay
June 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks Cheri! I imagine it would be the same way about the activities. This cruise being in June though I believe will have more teachers and families then one in September.

And I saw your post about Michael's ribs...that is amazing that could complete / participate in all the activites with broken ribs!!!

he spent the last two days of the cruise in bed mostly, he could hardly move. we did not know they were broken until we got back home. and he carried about 70lbs of conch shells on his back in a backpack at Grand Turk. :eek:That was the straw that broke the camels back- as the saying goes

I am just so glad he is better now

enjoyinglife
June 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM
gotta get ready to call it a night. have to get up at 445am:eek:
Every one have a good night or as they say in Italian: avere una buona notte

good night...I hope your workday tomorrow goes smoothly! Talk later!

enjoyinglife
June 21st, 2011, 10:10 PM
he spent the last two days of the cruise in bed mostly, he could hardly move. we did not know they were broken until we got back home. and he carried about 70lbs of conch shells on his back in a backpack at Grand Turk. :eek:That was the straw that broke the camels back- as the saying goes

thats amazing! I hope his next cruises are more enjoyable!!!

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM
That reminds me...we never buy the cruise travel insurance, but want to for this cruise. Can anyone suggest the companies they use and the good / bad about it?

Thanks!!!

We use Travel Guard for ALL of our cruises....even the little short ones. Usually we end up paying around 100 for both of us and it covers just about everything. I am glad we got it when we booked the Magic TA...because they gave us all the money back less the cost of the insurance itself. It was a wallet saver, which allowed us to book this cruise!!!

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
We use Travel Guard for ALL of our cruises....even the little short ones. Usually we end up paying around 100 for both of us and it covers just about everything. I am glad we got it when we booked the Magic TA...because they gave us all the money back less the cost of the insurance itself. It was a wallet saver.

were you suppsoed to go on it and then couldn't? Travel Guard...I will look it up. thanks..

Another question for any past European travelors: I just continued skimming thru the "Tom's guide" for Venice. He provided a link with anti-theft items. What type of items have you / or a friend used while on cruises? Any recommendations?

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 12:35 AM
We use Travel Guard for ALL of our cruises....even the little short ones. Usually we end up paying around 100 for both of us and it covers just about everything. I am glad we got it when we booked the Magic TA...because they gave us all the money back less the cost of the insurance itself. It was a wallet saver, which allowed us to book this cruise!!!

the quote I recieved was 127 for both on the savvy travelor plan. The price was better than I thought although I have never looked into it prior to today..or yesterday.

PS...I am happy you booked this cruise!!!;)

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
Sometimes I wish I was a teen again also! OK. this may sound crazy...but... I am trying to work out details for this trip.

I think I may be able to pay my pre and post hotel with points from a credit card reimbursing me!!!!

Then I transfered over points into my Delta skymiles account just waiting to book flights.

an lastly, I found out that with my remaining am ex points, there is a travel agency in town that I can purchase Am Ex Euro travelor's checks. Not sure how much it would get me, but you know...a phone call may solve that thought! :D:D:D

wow do you have enough miles fro the trans-atlantic? That is great.

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:49 AM
What a hard decision! I always wanted to go on an Alaskan Cruise with Harry, Myles, and my parents. We talked about it several years. Then my mom had a big set back in her health. Now I no longer want to do alaska until one of two things happen...mom is healthy enough to join us, or (I am not in a rush for this one...) but both of my parents are gone. I just cant tell them I would go without them...and I surely cant just leave for over a week and lie about where I have been!

What a tough decision you are in. I have a thought though...if she goes, and is feeling tired ...would you both be ok with her staying on the ship to rest and you going about your planned day? I say that because that is what my mom would want for us to do...her get off sometimes but not always and that would be compromise rather than not going.

It really is a hard thought. She would definately want us to go and tour and leave her to rest, but I know Melissa would worry too much, so we will see!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:51 AM
Here is my two cents....DO NOT get traveler's checks. In Europe, they are not accepted well at all. They can be reproduced on a computer and there is a lot of fraud so in Italy they do not accept them and even hotels will balk. You are better off getting euros here and bring them over or using a ATM, anything but euro traveler's checks. I said this on the roll call for our cruise on the Magic and it went unheeded, followed by a rant from someone who brought them and could not cash them anywhere and actually came home with them. We get Euros here and bring them over. We also have bank accounts in Italy, but even if we don't use them, a credit card with zero transaction fees for hotels and Euros for the rest is the way to go. We brought 1500 Euros with us - big denominations 200 Euros to pay out hotels and nothing more than 50 euro denominations for around Europe. Larger than 50 Euros is not accept well except for large hotels. Break as much as you can early on to get 1 Euro coins especially and .50 cent coins for trachettos in Venice. You will use 1 Euro coins a lot and paper Euros start at 5 euros so start breaking them as soon as you arrive so you have some.

I agree one hundred percent with your two cents!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:57 AM
I live just outside of Savannah.

OOH love it. We were down in hilton head last year and visited Savannah. Gorgeous city and we had dinner at Lady and Sons..DELICIOUS!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
We are a couple from Fort Myers Florida and also booked in a balcony on the Breeze for June 3 2012. Just returned from second cruise on Spirit to Alaska where we heard about this cruise to Europe. It will be the first time for us to visit Europe and we are SO excited!! Hope to learn lots of info from this board before we go!

Welcome Welcome. How did you enjoy Alaska?

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
were you suppsoed to go on it and then couldn't? Travel Guard...I will look it up. thanks..

Another question for any past European travelors: I just continued skimming thru the "Tom's guide" for Venice. He provided a link with anti-theft items. What type of items have you / or a friend used while on cruises? Any recommendations?

Yes couldn't go because of hubby's new job.

The best Anti-theft items (in my opinion) are from PacSafe. Both Mel and I bought their DayPack for our last trip to Europe. I had NO problems.

The best advice is ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. If someone is trying to distract you, usually there is a reason....they are trying to steal from you. Don't take the "FREE" flowers around Trevi or let them take your picture. DON'T EVER give your camera to someone that you do not know to take your picture. Ladies if you must carry a purse keep it in front of your body. I have a little coin purse that is big enough to hold an ID and EUROs. I velcro it to my bra strap and tuck it inside my bra near my heart.

viaggi_per_mare
June 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM

Places like Rome and Naples use more slash tactics for backpacks, but it is more infrequent than you think especially during the day. The thing all over Italy (and Europe) is pickpockets, they are very good but they do not as a rule do confrontations like you might see in the US. They look for easy marks and I can tell, despite the warnings there are so many we see out that are just waiting for problems. We use Pac Saf brand items which are unslashable and can't be cut. Venice you wouldn't see the slashing of back packs, you just pretty much have pickpockets, especially on the vaporettos and the stations. Italians do NOT do lines at all, everything is a "group" pushing through, so that is when you would have problems. They don't do much of the team, professional pickpockets like you are likely to see more in Barcelona, and Rome. Always be vigilant during train stops, people getting on or off. Grabbing and jumping off the train is done quite a lot. Like I said, we carry a packsafe backpack and I carry a pacsaf camera bag across my shoulder. My camera has a packsaf unslashable cord for around your neck. I usually keep our phone and Euros in an ankle wallet under my pants. Putting locks on the zippers of your backpack, usually deters most thieves. They will not usually go for something that is not easy. I carry all our Euros pretty much in the ankle wallets under my pants and Foster carries a packsafe wallet with a chain. He puts the Euros for the day in that pretty much as it gives the appearance that is where your money is. We have never had a problem. The locks are good and no one messes with them. They are good about having one person unzip you purse and move one and an accomplice lifts it. They watch you purchase something and text ahead where you money is. That is why we always have an obvious place for money (Wallet with a chain) and keep the rest out of sight. The packsaf backpack also comes with a removable insert that can serve as a portable safe in an hotel without a room safe (most of you hotels in Venice that are reasonably priced) or around a table leg at the beach. Grabs from tables are done close to streets in Rome, Naples, Florence, but not too much in Venice - they really go for the quiet pickpocket stuff. My pacsaf camera bag has a little chain to put around chair legs if you sit at a table (the backpack has this too) Believe me, they are well versed in Pacsaf there as it is a major travel safety company and they just don't bother when there is so much easier marks out there.
Forget not hanging a camera around your neck not to look like a tourist - you are a tourist and camera or no camera, they know. So wear it if you want, it won't make much difference. Americans stick out because they are overweight (us included) and wear baseball caps,shorts, capris or tee shirts not worn in Europe. In Italy shorts and capri pants are worn ONLY by tourists outside of a beach area. They are not worn outside of the beach. An while there are a lot of low cut tops for women, all have sleeves. Men and woman do not wear sleeveless shirts in Italy.

You have more chance of being confronted and robbed in the US than you do in Europe (during the day) At night it is a different story, although Venice is pretty safe

TIP: Venice streets are VERY dark at night!! Bring a flashlight to use in Venice if you are going out at night - many places outside of the very well lit tourist areas are pitch black at night.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
wow do you have enough miles fro the trans-atlantic? That is great.

Yes we do. We were hoping to have enough for first class, but I think I want to book it when it first gets realeased so will book economy. I use my card for everything I can so that I can save the miles.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
It really is a hard thought. She would definately want us to go and tour and leave her to rest, but I know Melissa would worry too much, so we will see!!

And that is how my dad is; he would worry if we left my mom on the ship. She says if that is the only way my dad could go to Alaska, she would do it!

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I agree one hundred percent with your two cents!!

That was also in Tom's port guide, and when I called the am ex travel agency here in town she said they dont sell them anymore.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM

The best Anti-theft items (in my opinion) are from PacSafe. Both Mel and I bought their DayPack for our last trip to Europe. I had NO problems.

The best advice is ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. If someone is trying to distract you, usually there is a reason....they are trying to steal from you. Don't take the "FREE" flowers around Trevi or let them take your picture. DON'T EVER give your camera to someone that you do not know to take your picture. Ladies if you must carry a purse keep it in front of your body. I have a little coin purse that is big enough to hold an ID and EUROs. I velcro it to my bra strap and tuck it inside my bra near my heart.

so then anytime you need it, you are velcroing and unvelcroing your bra. Wow. I can think of lots of men who would love to see women doing that several times a day! LOL!:D;):D;):D;)

Seriously, thanks for the tips and I did see some items from Pacsafe.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks Tricee and Susan. I know I was joking with Tricee about the bra exposure:D but I really do listen and appreciate the advice. It looks like Pacsafe is the brand. That is one of the brand of things I looked at yesterday!!!

agavin
June 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

I use my brain ... Common sense goes a long way :)

viaggi_per_mare
June 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Magellan's sells Pacsafe, there are also quite a few vendor selling them on Ebay (which is where I got the ankle wallets) They have wrist wallets and ankle ones - I would get the ankle one because you can use them on your upper arm too then (not me though - I have fat arms) The wrist ones are a bit small

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Magellan's sells Pacsafe, there are also quite a few vendor selling them on Ebay (which is where I got the ankle wallets) They have wrist wallets and ankle ones - I would get the ankle one because you can use them on your upper arm too then (not me though - I have fat arms) The wrist ones are a bit small

I saw wrist and ankle wallets yesterday. We will probably also get a backpack. I wonder if hubby already has a money belt? I know my son has one but it might be too small for me and definately is too small for hubby!!!!:D

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
I use my brain ... Common sense goes a long way :)

Well I hope I am using common sense too, but I think I wont try my luck ...I dont think pickpocketing will be covered by travel insurance!!:D

There are occassions when DH doesnt think I am using common sense. I KNOW there are times when he isn't using it either! :D:D

warann22
June 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Ann and Warren Baldwin (warann2) will be joining this great
group on the inagural Carnival Breeze cruise..this will be our
32nd Carnival cruise but first time to Europe..please grant
us access to this cruisin' group...thanks...we are also doing
the Panama Canal cruise in December

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Actually, I am going as well. I promised my neice a weekend trip to San Fran... thanks for the info:D

I am going to have to get a notebook to keep track of whose who here. I tried to go back and find out who it was but didn't have time. Sorry.

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM

I am glad he is better but two days in bed in pain!!Not so much fun!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM

Ooh thanks Tricee!!! Going to check now!!

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
so then anytime you need it, you are velcroing and unvelcroing your bra. Wow. I can think of lots of men who would love to see women doing that several times a day! LOL!:D;):D;):D;)

Seriously, thanks for the tips and I did see some items from Pacsafe.

No I never un-velcro it. I leave it attached and just unzip it and take out what I need. It is pretty discreet because I usually wear a button up blouse. I'll take a picture of the wallet and how I access the cash and email it to you. I don't want to get flagged for "INAPPROPRIATE" content on here.

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
When you purchase your travel guard, you have to insure the amount money that you could potentially lose. For my magic TA cruise, we had insured the cost of the cruise and the airfare but not the hotel.

A simple call to the hotel worked. There was no penalty for the cancellation.

The airfare was booked through an airline distribution website and their tickets were NON-REFUNDABLE.

Carnival's customer service was wonderful. For a simple $50 fee for each of us, they moved our deposit from the MAGIC TA over to the BREEZE. They also moved our FCC over to the BREEZE as well.

The claim took about one month to process. We had to have lots of papers to prove the claim. They process it.....and then the refund check came in the mail.

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Awesome!! I cannot wait to see Fishermans Wharf!!
That's my favorite place. The sea lions are so much fun to watch. Here's a link for free things to do in SFO;
http://gocalifornia.about.com/lr/things_to_do_for_free_in_san_francisco/803800/1/
I haven't been there in a while, you are making me want to hop on the train and go for the day.

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
That reminds me...we never buy the cruise travel insurance, but want to for this cruise. Can anyone suggest the companies they use and the good / bad about it?

Thanks!!!
You can try Access America, iTravelinsred and Travel Guard. My favorite is itravelinsured.
You can buy it now and add the air later and pay the additional premium.

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Welcome Ann & Warren.

One more thing about insurance. Pat got sick on the Dream cruise and went to the doctor. The charge was $100. When he got home he submitted the receipt to itravelinsured and they reimbursed him, no hassle and no mounds of paperwork.

Prairie_Gal
June 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM

Welcome! And welcome to Cruise Crititc!

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
BREEZIN THRU THE MED
(Bringing it forward)

Scratchrat - Kodi & David - UK
NSSLY - Lytton & 3 kids - Halifax, Canada
themnms - Mel & Melissa - New Jersey
Starr sun & Cowboy 42266 - Tricee & Mikey - Kentucky
Wigglebay - Cheri & Michael Nancy, Sandy (friends) Charleston, SC
Copman - Clayton & Terri -Arizona
Krystilia - Kimberly & daughter- Jacksonville, Fl
mississauga - Serge & Mary - Mississauga, Canada
Prairie Gal - Judy & Len - Alberta, Canada
enjoyinglife - Gwyn and Harry - Lafayette, La.
Cruisertommyboy & Harmony pie - Tom & Karen - Hagerstown, MD
ljcruiser
agavin - Ange & Greg - Canada
agavin's friends - Alice & Bill
yank 268 Ruth - New York
yank 268's friends - Louis and Shon - Arizona
yank 268's friends - Melissa & Lynn - New York
yank 268's friends - Richard & Zach - New York
travln_isa - Ingrid & Virginia- California
travln_isa's family - Eugene & Verna- California
travln_isa's family - Herbert & friend - California
travln_isa's family - Pete & Ollie- California
inettrvlr -Don & Denise - California
inettrvlr's friends - Pat & Pam - California
inettrvlr's friends - Rudy & Sheri
inettrvlr's friends - Keith & Kathy
viaggi_per_mare - Foster & Susan - New York
Sonomamist - Kathy, Taylor, Erin
Nana & Poppa P - Fayette PA
bdk0001 - Beverly & Max - Texas
bassmaster-Rockwall, Texas
BRU- Alan & Rena -Austin, Texas
yahiriz-Frances & Tomas- Puerto Rico
LONGJOHNSDAD & Petuniasmom-Ed & Donna - Baltimore MD
UniqueNTexas-Regina & Robert-Texas
cruiser/teacher- Nancy & Amy - Savannah GA
cruiser/teacher's family- Anne - Austin, TX
cruiser/teacher's family- Laura & Juliana - Colorado Springs, CO
John-Paul
najgreen - DH, DD MIL, FIL
bluwes - Wes & Liz - England
buckybad - Virginia
canuk62 & 4 -Canada, Portugal, Europe
hoeljoje - Howard - Miami, Fl
Sunny-leah - Florida
Sewful - Ft Myers Florida
warann22 - Warren & Ann - Florida

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Welcome Sewful and warann22. You both have been granted access to the website. Please fill our your profile and upload a picture so that everyone can "GET TO KNOW YOU!"

cruiser/teacher
June 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome! We are so glad to have you joining this fabulous group! :)
Nancy

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM

lol another reason to love your wonderful heart!! Pacsafe rules and worked perfectly!!

viaggi_per_mare
June 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome Ann & Warren.

One more thing about insurance. Pat got sick on the Dream cruise and went to the doctor. The charge was $100. When he got home he submitted the receipt to itravelinsured and they reimbursed him, no hassle and no mounds of paperwork.

IF you get hurt ON A CARNIVAL TOUR, your medical on the ship is free!!! I broke my hand on a Carnival excursion in Puerto Rico and it was free on the Victory and on the Magic in May, a lady twisted her ankle and cut her knee real bad falling on the steps of the bus in Cinque Terre. Because it was a Carnival tour, everything on the ship was free - she got xrays, stitches, wheelchair to use, dressing changes and pain medicine - all no charge because it was a Carnival excursion.

We don't insure our trips from Carnival because even with early saver that is "nonrefundable" they are pretty good about moving the funds if you chose another cruise (NOT if you want money back)
We always fly Delta and do not get flight insurance for stateside trips but always do with overseas trips that we make (several times a year to Italy plus the times we cruise)
We book direct due to 2 disasters with travel insurance booked through consolidators and once with Expedia. You are LAST in line and the airlines will not work with you, everything has to been done through the booking agent. Delta even without insurance rebooked us for free when we forgot a suitcase and missed our plane. We always insure through Delta for the plane fare overseas.

Medical - we travel and have military insurance (Foster is retired military) and that covers all over the world. We usually spend more than 60 days in Italy most years so we are required to buy into their medical system (VISA requirement) which is free in Italy for everyone, and visitors coming a going like we do are required to buy into their system (actually pretty cheap). The military insurance also covers airlifts off the ship that are done by the military anyway.

If you don't have medical insurance overseas which most people don't have and are going on independent excursions, I would definitely get some medical travel insurance - you never know what could happen.

BE AWARE: In Europe they do turn away foreigners at hospitals and most time require $10,000-$20,000 credit card charge which is required to treat you until they can verify your insurance. They will credit it back, but we always carry a card to use only for that purpose with at least $20,000 credit to get medical care in the European Union countries - EVEN with travel insurance you will need this - you will be reimbursed but you will need it to get care. IT IS NOT THE USA and they have every right to let you die on the door step in foreign countries, and it can happen. BTW - the going pre-charge in the Caribbean is $5000- $7,000 to get care until they verify your insurance as well.

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM

Wow 32 that is alot!! Welcome to the group and also go say Hi on the Panama canal board. I am sailing the inspiration from Tampa Dec 3rd also!

starr_sun
June 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
IF you get hurt ON A CARNIVAL TOUR, your medical on the ship is free!!! I broke my hand on a Carnival excursion in Puerto Rico and it was free on the Victory and on the Magic in May, a lady twisted her ankle and cut her knee real bad falling on the steps of the bus in Cinque Terre. Because it was a Carnival tour, everything on the ship was free - she got xrays, stitches, wheelchair to use, dressing changes and pain medicine - all no charge because it was a Carnival excursion.

We don't insure our trips from Carnival because even with early saver that is "nonrefundable" they are pretty good about moving the funds if you chose another cruise (NOT if you want money back)
We always fly Delta and do not get flight insurance for stateside trips but always do with overseas trips that we make (several times a year to Italy plus the times we cruise)
We book direct due to 2 disasters with travel insurance booked through consolidators and once with Expedia. You are LAST in line and the airlines will not work with you, everything has to been done through the booking agent. Delta even without insurance rebooked us for free when we forgot a suitcase and missed our plane. We always insure through Delta for the plane fare overseas.

Medical - we travel and have military insurance (Foster is retired military) and that covers all over the world. We usually spend more than 60 days in Italy most years so we are required to buy into their medical system (VISA requirement) which is free in Italy for everyone, and visitors coming a going like we do are required to buy into their system (actually pretty cheap). The military insurance also covers airlifts off the ship that are done by the military anyway.

If you don't have medical insurance overseas which most people don't have and are going on independent excursions, I would definitely get some medical travel insurance - you never know what could happen.

BE AWARE: In Europe they do turn away foreigners at hospitals and most time require $10,000-$20,000 credit card charge which is required to treat you until they can verify your insurance. They will credit it back, but we always carry a card to use only for that purpose with at least $20,000 credit to get medical care in the European Union countries - EVEN with travel insurance you will need this - you will be reimbursed but you will need it to get care. IT IS NOT THE USA and they have every right to let you die on the door step in foreign countries, and it can happen. BTW - the going pre-charge in the Caribbean is $5000- $7,000 to get care until they verify your insurance as well.

Good tips Susan!!

These are the reasons why we always buy trip insurance through our TA (missed planes, missing luggage, illnesses, injuries, the list goes on and on). It is always well worth my $100-$300. Travel insurance is on a sliding scale based on your age and the cost of the entire vacation (hotels+airfare+cruise) basically anything that you have to pre-pay.

UniqueNTexas
June 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

Great Tip and I'll have to look into this.

Places like Rome and Naples use more slash tactics for backpacks, but it is more infrequent than you think especially during the day. The thing all over Italy (and Europe) is pickpockets, they are very good but they do not as a rule do confrontations like you might see in the US. They look for easy marks and I can tell, despite the warnings there are so many we see out that are just waiting for problems. We use Pac Saf brand items which are unslashable and can't be cut. Venice you wouldn't see the slashing of back packs, you just pretty much have pickpockets, especially on the vaporettos and the stations. Italians do NOT do lines at all, everything is a "group" pushing through, so that is when you would have problems. They don't do much of the team, professional pickpockets like you are likely to see more in Barcelona, and Rome. Always be vigilant during train stops, people getting on or off. Grabbing and jumping off the train is done quite a lot. Like I said, we carry a packsafe backpack and I carry a pacsaf camera bag across my shoulder. My camera has a packsaf unslashable cord for around your neck. I usually keep our phone and Euros in an ankle wallet under my pants. Putting locks on the zippers of your backpack, usually deters most thieves. They will not usually go for something that is not easy. I carry all our Euros pretty much in the ankle wallets under my pants and Foster carries a packsafe wallet with a chain. He puts the Euros for the day in that pretty much as it gives the appearance that is where your money is. We have never had a problem. The locks are good and no one messes with them. They are good about having one person unzip you purse and move one and an accomplice lifts it. They watch you purchase something and text ahead where you money is. That is why we always have an obvious place for money (Wallet with a chain) and keep the rest out of sight. The packsaf backpack also comes with a removable insert that can serve as a portable safe in an hotel without a room safe (most of you hotels in Venice that are reasonably priced) or around a table leg at the beach. Grabs from tables are done close to streets in Rome, Naples, Florence, but not too much in Venice - they really go for the quiet pickpocket stuff. My pacsaf camera bag has a little chain to put around chair legs if you sit at a table (the backpack has this too) Believe me, they are well versed in Pacsaf there as it is a major travel safety company and they just don't bother when there is so much easier marks out there.
Forget not hanging a camera around your neck not to look like a tourist - you are a tourist and camera or no camera, they know. So wear it if you want, it won't make much difference. Americans stick out because they are overweight (us included) and wear baseball caps,shorts, capris or tee shirts not worn in Europe. In Italy shorts and capri pants are worn ONLY by tourists outside of a beach area. They are not worn outside of the beach. An while there are a lot of low cut tops for women, all have sleeves. Men and woman do not wear sleeveless shirts in Italy.

You have more chance of being confronted and robbed in the US than you do in Europe (during the day) At night it is a different story, although Venice is pretty safe

TIP: Venice streets are VERY dark at night!! Bring a flashlight to use in Venice if you are going out at night - many places outside of the very well lit tourist areas are pitch black at night.

Another great tip. I wasn't aware of the pickpocketing and stuff. I'll definately keep this in mind.

Yes we do. We were hoping to have enough for first class, but I think I want to book it when it first gets realeased so will book economy. I use my card for everything I can so that I can save the miles.

Finally, I can contribute a tip!!! Anyway, I'm not sure which airline you flying but were you aware that you can purchase a coach ticket and use your miles and a small fee to upgrade to business or first class? When I was looking last year, it would have cost $1,100 and 150,000 miles for 2 Business Class tickets to Barcelona. Great deal in my humble opionion. I would check the airline frequent flyer program for more information and details. Just a thought.

Regards,
Regina

UniqueNTexas
June 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Regina
here you go. this is on delta's page. BTW great name that is my daughter's name:D

Airport News:
• The airport in Venice, Italy will experience increased traffic, due to the renovation of Treviso Airport, through September 30. Passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours early and complete check-in at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

• Effective immediately, Airport check-in for Delta operated flights departing from Grand Rapids, MI (GRR) has changed. We recommend that you arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time and check in (http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/itineraries_checkin/options/online_checkin/index.jsp) at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

Travel Advisories

Advisory:Air France Strike may impact travel

The union representing the Air France maintenance workers will take a strike action starting this Monday, June 13th for an indefinite period. Air France is not forecasting any flight cancellations however flight delays are possible departing from Paris Charles de Gaulle and from Paris Orly. We will continue to monitor this event and advisory will be updated as information becomes available. Passengers are encouraged to verify their flight status by visiting www.airfrance.us (http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/www.airfrance.us).
Last Updated: June 17, 2011, 3pm EST (-5 GMT)

Thanks for the information. I was concerned when I saw your e-mail earlier.

We are a couple from Fort Myers Florida and also booked in a balcony on the Breeze for June 3 2012. Just returned from second cruise on Spirit to Alaska where we heard about this cruise to Europe. It will be the first time for us to visit Europe and we are SO excited!! Hope to learn lots of info from this board before we go!

Welcome to the board !! There's many great tips on the board and great people. Good luck and I can't wait to read more of your posts and meet you next year.

Regards,
Regina

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Great Tip and I'll have to look into this.

Another great tip. I wasn't aware of the pickpocketing and stuff. I'll definately keep this in mind.

Finally, I can contribute a tip!!! Anyway, I'm not sure which airline you flying but were you aware that you can purchase a coach ticket and use your miles and a small fee to upgrade to business or first class? When I was looking last year, it would have cost $1,100 and 150,000 miles for 2 Business Class tickets to Barcelona. Great deal in my humble opionion. I would check the airline frequent flyer program for more information and details. Just a thought.

Regards,
Regina

regina, I am aware of several options to using points / cash. Hubby called yesterday and so did I.... we also asked for the dates that we should try to call and book! I hope it is as fair as what it was when you checked into it last year!!!

while we are talking about the deals I have to say that I hope the euro goes down significantly!!!:D:D:D

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-3-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-4-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-6-50-trans.gifDays till we be Breezin thru the Med

cruiser/teacher
June 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-3-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-4-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-6-50-trans.gifDays till we be Breezin thru the Med
:):):)

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
regina, I am aware of several options to using points / cash. Hubby called yesterday and so did I.... we also asked for the dates that we should try to call and book! I hope it is as fair as what it was when you checked into it last year!!!

while we are talking about the deals I have to say that I hope the euro goes down significantly!!!:D:D:D
yes the Euro need to go down
I will have to check how many miles to upgrade

you need to post one more time and you change to BLUE RIBBON CRUISER:D:D

bluwes
June 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Folks,

Just a quick visit after reading posts about buying euros. I would ask you to think twice before you jump in and keep an eye on what is happening.

The way things are financially in some of the eurozone countries (thankfully Britain stayed out) there might not be a euro currency this time next year.

At the moment Greece is in a state of turmoil with riots in the streets over the austerity package imposed on the government by the European Bank.

They have just awarded Greece a second massive 80 Billion euro loan on top of the 160 Billion they granted them last year to keep them afloat.

In addition Ireland,Portugal and particularly Spain could also end up in the same position soon.

Although it would be a political embarrassment for the euro to fail, they can only keep pumping the money in for so long before they say stop.

Here endeth today's lesson..lol

Sewful
June 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Love Alaska!! We were there 10 years ago with family members but this time just me and hubby. Weather was good and you just can't beat the beautiful sights!! Would go again in a heartbeat!!

JPEvans
June 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Folks,

Just a quick visit after reading posts about buying euros. I would ask you to think twice before you jump in and keep an eye on what is happening.

The way things are financially in some of the eurozone countries (thankfully Britain stayed out) there might not be a euro currency this time next year.

At the moment Greece is in a state of turmoil with riots in the streets over the austerity package imposed on the government by the European Bank.

They have just awarded Greece a second massive 80 Billion euro loan on top of the 160 Billion they granted them last year to keep them afloat.

In addition Ireland,Portugal and particularly Spain could also end up in the same position soon.

Although it would be a political embarrassment for the euro to fail, they can only keep pumping the money in for so long before they say stop.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but was afraid to mention it. :eek:

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Don't be afraid to ost anything that may help all of us. We are one big happy family:D:D

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Folks,

point well taken!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Love Alaska!! We were there 10 years ago with family members but this time just me and hubby. Weather was good and you just can't beat the beautiful sights!! Would go again in a heartbeat!!

we were there three years ago and just loved it...We will certainly do it again, I have to say I found it very relaxing!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM

JP never be afraid!!! It is a very valid point

LetsSailAway
June 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM

There they are! I've missed seeing those numbers! :)

Madelene

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
:D
:DBREEZIN THRU THE MED
(Bringing it forward)
100+ so far :o;):D

NSSLY - Lytton, Lisa, Victoria, Elizabeth, Charlotte- Halifax, Canada
ljcruiser
yank 268 Ruth - New York
Nana & Poppa P - Debbie & Don - Fayette PA
John-Paul - JP Evans
buckybad - Jim & Julia - Virginia
canuk62 - Cecilia, Tony ,Nelson -Canada,
canuk62 friends - Lisbon Portugal
Sunny-leah - Florida
warann22 - Ann & Warren - Florida
http://ak.webfetti.com/assets/glitter/0/707.gif

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
There they are! I've missed seeing those numbers! :)

Madelene
I post them everyday:D

Prairie_Gal
June 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hi Folks,

Yikes!!!! :eek:

Prairie_Gal
June 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM

We are headed to Alaska In September and we are really looking forward to it. Hope the weather is still good by then. Two of our fellow roll callers, Tom and Karen, are there right now.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Folks,

Wondered if I wanted to use my 3000th post for this post but, figured it is important. if the euro "fails" (is that the right word???), what would the options be? Can someone speculate what might be some possibilities????

And thanks for posting this...kinda scary!!!!

I should become a "blue ribbon cruiser" with this post!!!!:D:D:D

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
yes the Euro need to go down
I will have to check how many miles to upgrade

you need to post one more time and you change to BLUE RIBBON CRUISER:D:D

It's legite...I am officially a "Blue ribbon cruiser" LOL:D:D:D

I feel like I have my tiara on and my wand is in my hand!!!!

WiggleBay
June 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM

Congrats girll!! I am half way there.:D

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Congrats girll!! I am half way there.:D

Thanks...I know you will be there prior to our cruise! :D:D:D

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
For those of you trying to set a goal of visiting lots of countires by the time you are a certain age (agave????) an maybe denise???? with the century club check out this link! It would help out tremendously (if you have the money and time away from work.

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/info/around-the-world-cruise.html

sunny-leah
June 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I am still trying to catch up. Hopefully I will be caught up by this weekend and can then start chatting. I also hope to have my profile done by this weekend. We are narrowing down our hotel choices. All the info on hotels and transportation has been super helpful too. The dancing numbers always make me smile.

Linda (and Roger)

cruiser/teacher
June 22nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I am still trying to catch up. Hopefully I will be caught up by this weekend and can then start chatting. I also hope to have my profile done by this weekend. We are narrowing down our hotel choices. All the info on hotels and transportation has been super helpful too. The dancing numbers always make me smile.

Linda (and Roger)
Welcome! I just got on board with this group about a week and a half ago...it took a while to read all of the pages and get caught up but it was very informative and a lot of fun! Happy reading :)
Nancy

NSSly
June 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Who was saying yesterday that 'it's been quiet on the forum' with not many posts.....Beg to differ!....It's a full time job keeping up with it all but I love it so keep it coming!! I used to set my alarm 1 hr 20 mins before work, but now it's a full 90 mins so I can read the updates, plus e-mail plus Facebook.
Still trying to find a reasonably priced hotel in Venice that will sleep 5 in a room. Had one delightful response for 100 Euros but estimate it's a good hour away from the centre. "Overlooking the park" might be a selling feature in London or New York, but not Venice!......Hopefully will find something central & less than 300 Euros. How much is a Gondola ride by the way? Went to Venice in '98 and didn't take one (mainly because it was a boys holiday and the thought of a romantic gondola ride made us all a bit uncomfortable!)

Prairie_Gal
June 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Who was saying yesterday that 'it's been quiet on the forum' with not many posts.....Beg to differ!....It's a full time job keeping up with it all but I love it so keep it coming!! I used to set my alarm 1 hr 20 mins before work, but now it's a full 90 mins so I can read the updates, plus e-mail plus Facebook.
Still trying to find a reasonably priced hotel in Venice that will sleep 5 in a room. Had one delightful response for 100 Euros but estimate it's a good hour away from the centre. "Overlooking the park" might be a selling feature in London or New York, but not Venice!......Hopefully will find something central & less than 300 Euros. How much is a Gondola ride by the way? Went to Venice in '98 and didn't take one (mainly because it was a boys holiday and the thought of a romantic gondola ride made us all a bit uncomfortable!)

Did you try the Allogi Locanda Marinella?

NSSly
June 22nd, 2011, 10:39 PM

Just checked the 24 e-mails I sent, and yes I did try them. Got this response 4 days ago...
Grazie di aver compilato il nostro form di richiesta, al più presto risponderemo alla sua richiesta. Thank you. We will answer as soon as possible to your request.

Few people are still to get back to me. Hopefully this week.
We actually subscribed to Groupon in Venice, just in case!

NSSly
June 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Folks,

Hopefully it won't turn out like that. Primarily because today at the dinner table we rolled out the new rewards/allowance programme for the kids. Instead of getting their pocket money in Canadian $ (to waste at Walmart & The DollarStore like normal), they are going to receive funds in Euros, Pounds, & US Dollars to spend in ports, their week in London, & on the ship respectively.

This will not work if the Euro is no more! I finally have the girls eager to clean their room, and now my plan might collapse in front of my eyes....!

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
where is everybody tonight?

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
where is everybody tonight?

I was wondering the same...but then I saw a few posts! LOL!

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 11:12 PM

Prairie gal, hubby is thinking he wants to stay in venice. We may be staying there. I sent them an email an they responded yesterday, but left out a couple of answers. I eailed them again last night and I recieved the email form them to day. Will have to pass on to hubby what they said. What airline are you planning on taking to venice?

I saw one flight today that went lafayette to atlanta to rome then venice.

Another went lafayette to atlanta then JFK, then venice. I wish it were time to book flights!!!!

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Guess I will wait to buy euros-they may turn into yen if China has to bail them out

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
For those of you trying to set a goal of visiting lots of countires by the time you are a certain age (agave????) an maybe denise???? with the century club check out this link! It would help out tremendously (if you have the money and time away from work.

That cruise would sure make a dent in the list wouldn't it? I might make it 100 posts by the end of the week. I'll be shooting for 3000 by June. You might get tired of me.

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Welcome! I just got on board with this group about a week and a half ago...it took a while to read all of the pages and get caught up but it was very informative and a lot of fun! Happy reading :)
Nancy

just wait until someone joins in 6 more months! It will take them a month to read all the posts!!

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Just checked the 24 e-mails I sent, and yes I did try them. Got this response 4 days ago...
Grazie di aver compilato il nostro form di richiesta, al più presto risponderemo alla sua richiesta. Thank you. We will answer as soon as possible to your request.

Few people are still to get back to me. Hopefully this week.
We actually subscribed to Groupon in Venice, just in case!

How does Groupon work?

inettrvlr
June 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
I check this daily and if I miss a day it takes an hour to catch up. Then when I want to find something I read and copy it I can't find it.

themnms
June 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM

At the moment I think a gondola is in the region of 130.00 Euro...also I hope the Euro does stay in place for your perfect plan with the children!

cruiser/teacher
June 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Prairie gal, hubby is thinking he wants to stay in venice. We may be staying there. I sent them an email an they responded yesterday, but left out a couple of answers. I eailed them again last night and I recieved the email form them to day. Will have to pass on to hubby what they said. What airline are you planning on taking to venice?

Another went lafayette to atlanta then JFK, then venice. I wish it were time to book flights!!!!
I am with you...wish it was time to book! I have been looking at Savannah to Detroit to JFK to Venice...or something like that. A lot of plane changes! Well we shall see when the time gets here :)

Prairie_Gal
June 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM

I'm not sure yet which airline we will be flying on. We live in Western Canada. Some possibilities are Air Canada, Lufthansa, KLM, Alitalia, Brussels Air. I am going to look for a flight with only one connection to lessen the chance of missing a connecting flight, but also to make the trip shorter and less arduous.

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
That cruise would sure make a dent in the list wouldn't it? I might make it 100 posts by the end of the week. I'll be shooting for 3000 by June. You might get tired of me.
yes it would make a dent! :D See I thought of you! And no we wont get tired of you! I promise!!

enjoyinglife
June 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure yet which airline we will be flying on. We live in Western Canada. Some possibilities are Air Canada, Lufthansa, KLM, Alitalia, Brussels Air. I am going to look for a flight with only one connection to lessen the chance of missing a connecting flight, but also to make the trip shorter and less arduous.

We hope to make it to Banff an Jasper national park one day! You are around that area, correct?

themnms
June 23rd, 2011, 05:37 AM
http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

NSSly
June 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
How does Groupon work?

Groupon is awesome (www.groupon.com). You pick your city & then get a daily special, often 50-90% off reg prices, e-mailed to you. Usually restuarants, admission to local attractions, spa, hotels. You buy it, print out the voucher & then redeem at the retailer. Last week we had $10 Groupon for $20 at Old Navy. Can't go wrong.
Here's the link for today's Groupon in Venice
http://www.groupon.it/deals/venezia?subscribed=true&__fsk=2021745900
A robotic vaccuum cleaner! Not exactly what I was hoping for!! But will keep checking everyday in case there's a meal deal or something we can take advantage of.

NSSly
June 23rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

150 Euros for an hour at night seems reasonable - that's not per person is it??

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM

Thanks - will check it out :)

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
For anyone trying to figure out where direct flights to Venice start from, this site looks to be pretty handy

http://ca.skyscanner.com/

Prairie_Gal
June 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM
We hope to make it to Banff an Jasper national park one day! You are around that area, correct?

Yes, we live about three hours from Banff, and Jasper is farther. The Rocky mountains are just beautiful.

cruiser/teacher
June 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Good morning everyone! :)

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone! :)

good morning! How's the weather in Savannah?
We had much needed rain yesterday and more coming today!!:):)

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, we live about three hours from Banff, and Jasper is farther. The Rocky mountains are just beautiful.

Cant wait to go there! My husband loves the Grand Tetons and would love to retire around there (but we dont want the snow). So the plan is when he retires, we hope to pick an area and stay in our motor home for the summer. We want to escape the heat, but return here for milder winters!

The place we would have gone next summer was Glacier National park but we chose this cruise instead!!! :D:D:D We can make Glacier another year!

I think he will fall in love with your area! :)

Prairie_Gal
June 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Cant wait to go there! My husband loves the Grand Tetons and would love to retire around there (but we dont want the snow). So the plan is when he retires, we hope to pick an area and stay in our motor home for the summer. We want to escape the heat, but return here for milder winters!

The place we would have gone next summer was Glacier National park but we chose this cruise instead!!! :D:D:D We can make Glacier another year!

I think he will fall in love with your area! :)

Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park is very close to us, only about an hour's drive. We love it there! Here is a picture from Cameron Lake in Waterton National Park (the Canadian side). It's one of the most beautiful places on earth, IMHO.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/47491/1183257111000101585S500x500Q85.jpg

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks - will check it out :)

The price on the ad wasn't bad at all for those who could afford a 100 day cruise! :D:D I a not there! Let me know what you think!!!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park is very close to us, only about an hour's drive. We love it there! Here is a picture from Cameron Lake in Waterton National Park (the Canadian side). It's one of the most beautiful places on earth, IMHO.

Just gorgeous!!! When you put a beautiful lake next to incredible mountains, I am in heaven! ***sigh***

inettrvlr
June 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
yes it would make a dent! :D See I thought of you! And no we wont get tired of you! I promise!!
I counted 26 countries-it would put me at the halfway mark. Good things dreams are free!

inettrvlr
June 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Inettrvlr is short for Internet traveler-I go someplace new every week online for $39 a month.

cruiser/teacher
June 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
good morning! How's the weather in Savannah?
We had much needed rain yesterday and more coming today!!:):)
I am in Colorado Springs right now visiting family so I am not sure about the weather in Savannah (except that I know it is smokey from the wildfires in Northern Florida). We need rain too!

cruiser/teacher
June 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Things are a little slow again today so I guess I will head to the pool. Maybe I will have pages to read when I return! :rolleyes:

Prairie_Gal
June 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Inettrvlr is short for Internet traveler-I go someplace new every week online for $39 a month.

What is the website for that? Sounds cool. I have never heard of it before.

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
I counted 26 countries-it would put me at the halfway mark. Good things dreams are free!

Its true that dreams come free (sometimes.) Of course I cant tell Harry that. I used to say that planning is half the fun. Then one day, Harry said well if thats true, we dont need to go anywhere you can plan and when you get tired of that, we can cancel the plans and you can start all over again!

So I try not to say that anymore even though it is true!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I was away from the board for 2 days and now i have 10 pages of ready to do! you have been busy, busy, busy!!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I have not been over there in a little bit!! Maybe time for me to head over and see the changes!! We are having a discussion with Grandma. She seems to have woken up last week and said I want to go to Venice. I want to go on the cruise! Well, I would love for her to see Venice, but I think the whole trip would be to much for her but I am feeling very very torn!!
How old is your grandma and how agile is she?

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Sometimes I wish I was a teen again also! OK. this may sound crazy...but... I am trying to work out details for this trip.

I think I may be able to pay my pre and post hotel with points from a credit card reimbursing me!!!!

Then I transfered over points into my Delta skymiles account just waiting to book flights.

an lastly, I found out that with my remaining am ex points, there is a travel agency in town that I can purchase Am Ex Euro travelor's checks. Not sure how much it would get me, but you know...a phone call may solve that thought! :D:D:D
Now i am convinced, I am definately doing something wrong. not nearly racking up those kind of points!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Here is my two cents....DO NOT get traveler's checks. In Europe, they are not accepted well at all. They can be reproduced on a computer and there is a lot of fraud so in Italy they do not accept them and even hotels will balk. You are better off getting euros here and bring them over or using a ATM, anything but euro traveler's checks. I said this on the roll call for our cruise on the Magic and it went unheeded, followed by a rant from someone who brought them and could not cash them anywhere and actually came home with them. We get Euros here and bring them over. We also have bank accounts in Italy, but even if we don't use them, a credit card with zero transaction fees for hotels and Euros for the rest is the way to go. We brought 1500 Euros with us - big denominations 200 Euros to pay out hotels and nothing more than 50 euro denominations for around Europe. Larger than 50 Euros is not accept well except for large hotels. Break as much as you can early on to get 1 Euro coins especially and .50 cent coins for trachettos in Venice. You will use 1 Euro coins a lot and paper Euros start at 5 euros so start breaking them as soon as you arrive so you have some.
good to know!
as always, thanks for the valuable tips

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
I was away from the board for 2 days and now i have 10 pages of ready to do! you have been busy, busy, busy!!!

And we thought it was slow!!!!:D:D

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
we have never bought cruise travel ins either. we book straight thru Carnival. it is 149 per person thru them. not sure yet if we are going to get it this time.
i am probably wasting money, but always buy the travel insurance...

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Now i am convinced, I am definately doing something wrong. not nearly racking up those kind of points!

Hubby gets points with his job and I use AM EX for as many things as I can. Even pay some of my bills with it!

Prairie_Gal
June 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM

That looks really cool, and I loved the animated graphic of the voyage, but personally I can't imagine being on a ship for 100 days. I am even wondering if 12 days is going to be too much. Anyway, I liked watching the graphic and saying to myself "been there" or "going there". :)

How did you like the way the ship crossed land in Egypt at the Suez Canal? lol!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
If you go to insure my trip dot com you can get quotes...it is usually a lot cheaper than the insurance through the cruiseline and it covers more (I believe). Things like the cost of cruisefare, airfare, medical, dental, and most importantly medical evacuation. Depending on when you purchase insurance it may or may not cover pre-existing conditions. Also many now include cancellation due to work (ie: lose your job or schedule change). You can also add cancel for any reason if you want. We went with the Travelguard Gold coverage. Hope this helps.

Nancy
thanks Nancy, I will check this out!!!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM

I never bought it but this one will be different. Just too many things can go wrong. Plus leaving Jr home when we usually take him may change plans a little! I bet he (myles) makes my Pug babies feel like they are on a diet! :D:D I know the Pugs will miss me for that long! They can tell when we are going on a trip and if we go inside the motor home too frequently, they follow us in and wont get out. They are too afraid to be left behind. My dogs are so spoiled!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
yeah I know what you mean. it is a 7 hr drive for us. it would be about a 15 hr drive for you:eek: wish there was a cheap flight outta there to ft lauderdale
...cheap flights on SWA... today is the last day of their big sale

starr_sun
June 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

Me too....dang

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hi Sewful. Welcome!Welcome!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I think Italy has better temp's than we have here!!!!:D:D Although I wouldn't mind the colorado temp's!!!
...and I get to live in sunn southern california all the time :);):)...

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
The difference between the Alilaguna and the Vaporetto system is who owns it. That is why your vaporetto pass doesn't work on the Alilaguna, it is a government thing in Italy is the easiest way to explain it - they have territorial issues. The government of Italy controls some and by very old laws Venice itself maintains certain things, hence the two systems. The vaporettos are just allowed within certain limits of the island of Venice and not the territory of Venezia which the Alilaguna territory (airport). The port is also Alilaguna territory. The M Alilaguna will take you to the port, a place the vaporetto can't go. The Alilaguna can only go to certain stops which is why it runs from Piazza San Marco but not Plaza Roma (exclusive vaporetto territory)
I hope that isn't too confusing
I hope to get this straight before we travel. pricewise econonical to most expensive. vaporetto (pass) , then Alilaguna, then water taxi?

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't get any work done if I could get on a computer at work:eek:
I do bring my laptop to work when I work nights and after I get everything done then I am on here for hours:eek:

We gotta keep the mean pace up:D we just broke 100 pages in a month and a half. holiday weekends will slow down a bit
my work is computer based -- and i i check here in between work. this week is a busy week, so i am falling wa behind hanging out with you all... believe me, you would not languish at the computer when you have more pressing tasks awaiting...

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
...and I get to live in sunn southern california all the time :);):)...

Rub it in! Today isnt too bad here becuse it is over cast and we supposed to get more rain. That usually leaves a muggy feeling.

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
the quote I recieved was 127 for both on the savvy travelor plan. The price was better than I thought although I have never looked into it prior to today..or yesterday.

PS...I am happy you booked this cruise!!!;)
oh man, we are paying more than that, per person thru the cruise line

UniqueNTexas
June 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM

Beautiful Photo. This really makes me Dream..... I really need this right now.... THANKS!!!

Just checking in today and catching up. I'm sooo excited that I'll be home tommorrow. I have been in Hagerstown, MD for two weeks. Just missed CruiserTommy and his wife. (We work for the same company). Oh well, I'm sure I'll be back again!! Anyway, have a great day everyone!!!

Regina

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM

OK, you definately got my attention

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
that is wonderful gwyn!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome and congrats on an impressive cruising resume!!!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 04:53 PM

I didnt include air fare though. Dont know if I will because if I am using points, can I also include air fare price?

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM

Allow me to extend and belated but heartfelt congratulation on your promotion to Blue Ribbon status:cool:
pretty kewl!!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Folks,

thanks, I work hard for my moneny. dont want to throw it away!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
just wait until someone joins in 6 more months! It will take them a month to read all the posts!!
it is taking me hours to read/respond for a few days that i missed...
it will be killer for anyone joing in another month or so...
almost caught up. 3 more pages to go

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
my strategy also. ideal flight is LAX-JFK-Venice... not seeing that as yet...
better yet a direct flight (but there do not seem to be direct flight to Venice form the west coast)

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Groupon is awesome (www.groupon.com (http://www.groupon.com)). You pick your city & then get a daily special, often 50-90% off reg prices, e-mailed to you. Usually restuarants, admission to local attractions, spa, hotels. You buy it, print out the voucher & then redeem at the retailer. Last week we had $10 Groupon for $20 at Old Navy. Can't go wrong.
A robotic vaccuum cleaner! Not exactly what I was hoping for!! But will keep checking everyday in case there's a meal deal or something we can take advantage of.
Hi Litton,
Please let us know if you find a bargain

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM

Simply breathtaking!!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
something else i never heard of...do explain...

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Its true that dreams come free (sometimes.) Of course I cant tell Harry that. I used to say that planning is half the fun. Then one day, Harry said well if thats true, we dont need to go anywhere you can plan and when you get tired of that, we can cancel the plans and you can start all over again!

Harry sounds like a crack-up!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hubby gets points with his job and I use AM EX for as many things as I can. Even pay some of my bills with it!
i feel deprived!!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Rub it in! Today isnt too bad here becuse it is over cast and we supposed to get more rain. That usually leaves a muggy feeling.
*rubbing it in*
...you have AMEX points, and I got beautiful weather...

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Just checking in today and catching up. I'm sooo excited that I'll be home tommorrow. I have been in Hagerstown, MD for two weeks. Anyway, have a great day everyone!!!

Regina
safe travels Regina

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I didnt include air fare though. Dont know if I will because if I am using points, can I also include air fare price?
then you probably dont need the insurance. you can roll you carnival payments onto another cruise

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
all caught up!
that was a feat, I will try to do a nightly update to prevent another marathon session.
...great tips on the insurance and the advance euro purchases - I will have to investigate further.
thanks all

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cheri,
I have been meaning to ask the story of how you became Mr & Mrs Carnival?

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-3-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-4-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-5-50-trans.gifdays till we be Breezin thru the Med

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM

That sounds like something Greg would say too... good thing Greg doesn't come on here ... don't want him getting any bad ideas :P

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM

We're points (I would normally say points wh0res), but we'll go with collectors too... I route everything to points, including personal and business CC and everything I can possibly pay with it. Can usually get one set of decent flights out of it every year, when there is availability... and it's the only time flying out of the city where I live closest to is affordable.

That looks really cool, and I loved the animated graphic of the voyage, but personally I can't imagine being on a ship for 100 days. I am even wondering if 12 days is going to be too much. Anyway, I liked watching the graphic and saying to myself "been there" or "going there". :)

How did you like the way the ship crossed land in Egypt at the Suez Canal? lol!

Great cruise... I could definitely do a 100 day one (though I would have to pick another one with more new countries for me :), but I think I would have to leave my husband at home... he would go BONKERS! I'm doing well getting him to go away for 2 weeks. We both work full time, and we have a full time business... so we can definitely use the vacation :) ... but it does make it tricky sometime to coordinate time away.

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
my strategy also. ideal flight is LAX-JFK-Venice... not seeing that as yet...
better yet a direct flight (but there do not seem to be direct flight to Venice form the west coast)

I posted a site on here earlier today that lets you check where all the direct flights go from.

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Interesting news re: Rome - some shoe company is going to foot the bill for millions of dollars in renovations to the Coliseum.

And saw something else weird today... there's some company trying to sell early access to overhead bins on planes... I hate the idea, so I didn't look into it much... but enough with the extra charges for sure!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I posted a site on here earlier today that lets you check where all the direct flights go from.
thanks a bunch!!!

agavin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
thanks a bunch!!!

NP... I have a hard time keeping up with this thread, but I try and contribute when I can :)

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I was wondering the same...but then I saw a few posts! LOL!
I had to go to bed early had to be up at 330am:eek:

I agree with you there, that is why I keep bringing the rollcall list forward so that newbies will see what a great group we have

I check this daily and if I miss a day it takes an hour to catch up. Then when I want to find something I read and copy it I can't find it.I check it as soon as I get home and when I am off at least 3 times a day

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
150 Euros for an hour at night seems reasonable - that's not per person is it?? that is not per person we split it between 6 people. the ride in the daytime is a bit cheaper. I think we paid 120 euro

Beautiful

Things are a little slow again today so I guess I will head to the pool. Maybe I will have pages to read when I return! :rolleyes:
yep you have at least 3 pages:D

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
I never bought it but this one will be different. Just too many things can go wrong. Plus leaving Jr home when we usually take him may change plans a little! I bet he (myles) makes my Pug babies feel like they are on a diet! :D:D I know the Pugs will miss me for that long! They can tell when we are going on a trip and if we go inside the motor home too frequently, they follow us in and wont get out. They are too afraid to be left behind. My dogs are so spoiled!!
better to e safe. I know my yorkie(Callie) will miss us. when the suitcases come out she goes crazy. she climbs in them. Sometimes I have to hide them from her. when we are going on a road trip she knows. I have a red tote bag I use for her things I pull that out she know something is up. I made the mistake and plled it out to use for work when I was working 11-7. she went crazy

...cheap flights on SWA... today is the last day of their big sale
maybe you will get to go in Jan:D

I hope to get this straight before we travel. pricewise econonical to most expensive. vaporetto (pass) , then Alilaguna, then water taxi?
I will help you I have them all typed out from before

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
*rubbing it in*
...you have AMEX points, and I got beautiful weather...

Touchet! I guess that is fair!!!;);)

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
That sounds like something Greg would say too... good thing Greg doesn't come on here ... don't want him getting any bad ideas :P

Our husbands dont get it!!! Those nerds! :D:D I can say that on here because Harry wont get on here!

cruiser/teacher
June 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oh my gosh! I leave for an hour to go to the grocery store and come back to 2 pages to read. We are a chatty bunch this evening and that is how I like it! :)
Nancy

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
all caught up!
that was a feat, I will try to do a nightly update to prevent another marathon session.
...great tips on the insurance and the advance euro purchases - I will have to investigate further.
thanks all
I know what you mean by trying to catch up. everytime I think I am caught up it flips another page:D

Cheri,
I have been meaning to ask the story of how you became Mr & Mrs Carnival?
okay here goes. Michael 1st got a Freddy Funship tattoo in 2008 we then when on the Carnival Fascinsation and the Hotel Director saw it and wanted a picture of Michael with him and the tattoo. the published it in the Seaview (a newsletter that goes to all Carnival employees) then he got the funnel and the logo. when we were on the Inaugural Carnival Dream Todd the CD and a lot of the crewmember kept refering to him as "Mr. Carnival" He told me to tell John that if everyone called him Mr. Carnival he wanted a name tag. Well in Jan 2010 while on the Carnival Destiny, Guest Services knocked on our door efore sailaway and presented him with a gold nametag that said " Mr. Carnival" then in Sept 2010 while on Carnival Dream again we noticed that they had new nametags. I ask Butch the CD if he could find out if Michael could get a new nametag, with his 1st name on it. and he did. Then my sister told Butch that if he was Mr Carnival I was Mrs Carnival. So Butch had a name tag made for me with my name on it has well. Michael has one other Carnival tattoo it is a band with the words Carnival Fun For All

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
We're points (I would normally say points wh0res), but we'll go with collectors too... I route everything to points, including personal and business CC and everything I can possibly pay with it. Can usually get one set of decent flights out of it every year, when there is availability... and it's the only time flying out of the city where I live closest to is affordable.

Great cruise... I could definitely do a 100 day one (though I would have to pick another one with more new countries for me :), but I think I would have to leave my husband at home... he would go BONKERS! I'm doing well getting him to go away for 2 weeks. We both work full time, and we have a full time business... so we can definitely use the vacation :) ... but it does make it tricky sometime to coordinate time away.

If money was not an object, I wouldn't mind trying it! :D But I would miss my 2 Pugs!!!:D I did have a horrible thought today though; imagine the food I would have available, then would I eat too much and gain weight the whole time, OR would I get sick of food???? Well I probably would have warm chocolate melting cake only 4 days a week rather than 7!!!!

Harry would go bonkers with me for 100 days!! I say he only pays attention to 400 words per day then he shuts off listening to me; no matter what time of the day it is.

I tease him - please give me a couple hundred more words per day till he shuts me out, for ex., that would make a good Christmas gift. He says he would rather spend money than giving me the extra words!!!:rolleyes::p

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
better to e safe. I know my yorkie(Callie) will miss us. when the suitcases come out she goes crazy. she climbs in them. Sometimes I have to hide them from her. when we are going on a road trip she knows. I have a red tote bag I use for her things I pull that out she know something is up. I made the mistake and plled it out to use for work when I was working 11-7. she went crazy

That is funny that she went crazy - cant take the red one out again!

Pugsy gets in our suitcases if we take them out and dont fill them right away!!! Armanie,he wouldnt think of doing it but I think he would follow pugsy in one!

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
bringing the wonderful list forward:D

(Bringing it forward)

ljcruiser
yank 268 Ruth - New York
JPEvans - John-Paul
Sunny-leah - Florida

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
That is funny that she went crazy - cant take the red one out again!

Pugsy gets in our suitcases if we take them out and dont fill them right away!!! Armanie,he wouldnt think of doing it but I think he would follow pugsy in one!

Next Wednesday the red carry on has to come out. I am getting off at 11am on Thurs and we are driving to Atlanta for a long weekend. She is going with us. My sister lives in Alpharetta (about an hour north of Atlanta). My birthday is July 4th, so we are going up there for a long weekend.
I'll have to pack the bag while she is laying in the bed with Michael then put it in the car. :D she will get a little bit of benedryl for the trip. last trip she was on was a 4 hour drive and she wanted to sit in either my lap or Michaels going down. coming back she was better

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
bringing the wonderful list forward:D

(Bringing it forward)

ljcruiser
yank 268 Ruth - New York
JPEvans - John-Paul
Sunny-leah - Florida

Also, we are thinking about staying at the same hotel you picked. What did you say the price was again? We are staying 2 nights. I am making a "short" list of hotels to go over with my hubby - he leaves all the research to me and I love it. Planning is so much fun and this group has taken planning to a whole new level for me.
Yes - this board is addicting. I also check it several times a day, and have been staying up super late trying to catch up. Almost caught up.

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Next Wednesday the red carry on has to come out. I am getting off at 11am on Thurs and we are driving to Atlanta for a long weekend. She is going with us. My sister lives in Alpharetta (about an hour north of Atlanta). My birthday is July 4th, so we are going up there for a long weekend.
I'll have to pack the bag while she is laying in the bed with Michael then put it in the car. :D she will get a little bit of benedryl for the trip. last trip she was on was a 4 hour drive and she wanted to sit in either my lap or Michaels going down. coming back she was better

My pugs both want to be in my lap on drives. One does till I have enough and then they both stay at my feet. They are at my feet right now. They both follwo me aroun all day long, but I love it!!! They have a hard adjustment once school starts again and I am out often.

Happy early birthday, Mrs. Carnival!!!:):)

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
(Bringing it forward)

ljcruiser
yank 268 Ruth - New York
JPEvans - John-Paul
Sunny-leah - Roger & Linda - Plant City, Florida

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
(Bringing it forward)

ljcruiser
yank 268 Ruth - New York
JPEvans - John-Paul
Sunny-leah - Roger & Linda - Plant City, Florida

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Cheri - will you add our first names to the roll call? We're Roger and Linda (sunny-leah) from Plant City, FL.
names are added

Also, we are thinking about staying at the same hotel you picked. What did you say the price was again? We are staying 2 nights. I am making a "short" list of hotels to go over with my hubby - he leaves all the research to me and I love it. Planning is so much fun and this group has taken planning to a whole new level for me.
Yes - this board is addicting. I also check it several times a day, and have been staying up super late trying to catch up. Almost caught up.

Linda here are the prices they sent me

The cost for the double room is Euro 140,00 with view and Euro 110,00 without view per night per room incl breakfast taxes and services
The cost of the triple room is Euro 175,00 per night incl breakfast taxes and services

WiggleBay
June 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
My pugs both want to be in my lap on drives. One does till I have enough and then they both stay at my feet. They are at my feet right now. They both follwo me aroun all day long, but I love it!!! They have a hard adjustment once school starts again and I am out often.

Happy early birthday, Mrs. Carnival!!!:):)

Thanks.

Callie is always at my feet from the time I get home till she gets placed on the bed with Michael while he watches tv. if I didn't put her there I would not be able to get on the boards:D if she is around me when I am on my laptop she will paw at the laptop. one time she pawed at it and cut it off in the middle of a long paper I was writing for work lost everything:eek:

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
maybe you will get to go in Jan:D
that is a far distance to travel for 2 nights...
wish it was longer

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Oh my gosh! I leave for an hour to go to the grocery store and come back to 2 pages to read. We are a chatty bunch this evening and that is how I like it! :)
Nancy
that is why you had better not go too far!!! i stepped away for a few days for focus on a project :eek: OMG... thought i would never get caught up.

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
okay here goes. Michael 1st got a Freddy Funship tattoo in 2008 we then when on the Carnival Fascinsation and the Hotel Director saw it and wanted a picture of Michael with him and the tattoo. the published it in the Seaview (a newsletter that goes to all Carnival employees) then he got the funnel and the logo. when we were on the Inaugural Carnival Dream Todd the CD and a lot of the crewmember kept refering to him as "Mr. Carnival" He told me to tell John that if everyone called him Mr. Carnival he wanted a name tag. Well in Jan 2010 while on the Carnival Destiny, Guest Services knocked on our door efore sailaway and presented him with a gold nametag that said " Mr. Carnival" then in Sept 2010 while on Carnival Dream again we noticed that they had new nametags. I ask Butch the CD if he could find out if Michael could get a new nametag, with his 1st name on it. and he did. Then my sister told Butch that if he was Mr Carnival I was Mrs Carnival. So Butch had a name tag made for me with my name on it has well. Michael has one other Carnival tattoo it is a band with the words Carnival Fun For All
WOW, you are very loyal to Carnival!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Happy Birthday Firecracker!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks.

Callie is always at my feet from the time I get home till she gets placed on the bed with Michael while he watches tv. if I didn't put her there I would not be able to get on the boards:D if she is around me when I am on my laptop she will paw at the laptop. one time she pawed at it and cut it off in the middle of a long paper I was writing for work lost everything:eek:

Armanie hates when I get on the computer! He paws my ankle! We love when he does it but there r times he wants me to pet him at 2:00am. He gets fussed for that!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
Cheri - will you add our first names to the roll call? We're Roger and Linda (sunny-leah) from Plant City, FL.

Can u please send me an email? My address is gwyncr@cox.net

themnms
June 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Groupon is awesome (www.groupon.com (http://www.groupon.com)). You pick your city & then get a daily special, often 50-90% off reg prices, e-mailed to you. Usually restuarants, admission to local attractions, spa, hotels. You buy it, print out the voucher & then redeem at the retailer. Last week we had $10 Groupon for $20 at Old Navy. Can't go wrong.

Awesome..thanks I am going to start checking this!!

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Gwyn,
Peek-a-boo
I see you (on-line) --- I am sending an email your way

themnms
June 23rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
150 Euros for an hour at night seems reasonable - that's not per person is it??

thats is for the gondola!!

themnms
June 23rd, 2011, 11:21 PM

That just looks like a peice of perfection!!

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hi Gwyn,
Peek-a-boo
I see you (on-line) --- I am sending an email your way

Still waiting!

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
I have finally caught up with everyone! It has really been fun keeping up with all your news, info, and tips.

By the weekend I should have our profile complete.

Linda

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
I have finally caught up with everyone! It has really been fun keeping up with all your news, info, and tips.

Linda
Congrats! don't you feel like you ran a marathon? I learned the hard way -try to keep up daily. this board can be like a run away train

cruiser/teacher
June 23rd, 2011, 11:33 PM

Linda
Yay! I am so happy that you made it through all of those pages. I feel bad for anyone joining our roll call in a month or two. Yikes! :eek: That will be some reading!
Nancy

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
for those that have visited our destination spots - are there any where a tour is not recommended? I am trying to figure out which would be the best ports to do short tours/excursions

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Still waiting!
sent...

Gwn,
i noticed that the Athens tour is full at 14, were you going to open it up to 18?

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Congrats! don't you feel like you ran a marathon? I learned the hard way -try to keep up daily. this board can be like a run away train

So true!!!

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
Yay! I am so happy that you made it through all of those pages. I feel bad for anyone joining our roll call in a month or two. Yikes! :eek: That will be some reading!
Nancy

That's for sure!!

I am a retired teacher. I taught 4th/5th grade for 20 years, and have been retired 22 years. (I'm 61 years young).

My sister and niece live in Cumming, GA.

Linda

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Can u please send me an email? My address is gwyncr@cox.net

I sent you an e-mail. Did it come through?

Linda

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
sent...

Gwn,
i noticed that the Athens tour is full at 14, were you going to open it up to 18?

R u interested in adding pax?

enjoyinglife
June 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM
I sent you an e-mail. Did it come through?

Linda

Not yet? I just wanted to tell u the hotel riveria sent me an email with a 95 euro rate. What I really want is your email to forward in case u would like to see if they will match it if u r interested in that hotel.

sunny-leah
June 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
Not yet? I just wanted to tell u the hotel riveria sent me an email with a 95 euro rate. What I really want is your email to forward in case u would like to see if they will match it if u r interested in that hotel.

Ok - Thanks!

fsurabbit@msn.com

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
R u interested in adding pax?
no additional passengers, I just thought that others may be interested if there is still room available

travln_isa
June 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
The Riveria never responded to my price match inquiry :(

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 12:01 AM
That's for sure!!

I am a retired teacher. I taught 4th/5th grade for 20 years, and have been retired 22 years. (I'm 61 years young).

Linda
WoW! impressive, you retired quite early, that is wonderful!

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Ok - Thanks!

fsurabbit@msn.com

Our son and family are moving to Miami next week and my hubby is down there helping get the house ready. So...that's why I'm up so late reading each night. I won't have time to go over our hotel options with him until this weekend. I'll probably e-mail the hotel tomorrow and get a quote. I will definitely ask for the same rate they quoted you. But, I'm not sure if Roger will mind being on Lido, or if he'd rather be near the bus terminal. I like the idea of the water bus from the airport to the hotel, and then a private water taxi to the port. The main concern for us is dragging luggage. We're not young and spry. Young at heart but with some limitations.

Thanks!!! Linda

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I meant to send my last rely to "enjoying life" - Gwyn, not to myself.

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM

I'll look for your e-mail tomorrow. Bye for tonight.

Linda

inettrvlr
June 24th, 2011, 12:24 AM
What is the website for that? Sounds cool. I have never heard of it before.

Hi Judy, I was referring to the cost of my internet service. I spend hours on travel sites and tourism boards. You can probably guess what my job is.

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Our son and family are moving to Miami next week and my hubby is down there helping get the house ready. So...that's why I'm up so late reading each night. I won't have time to go over our hotel options with him until this weekend. I'll probably e-mail the hotel tomorrow and get a quote. I will definitely ask for the same rate they quoted you. But, I'm not sure if Roger will mind being on Lido, or if he'd rather be near the bus terminal. I like the idea of the water bus from the airport to the hotel, and then a private water taxi to the port. The main concern for us is dragging luggage. We're not young and spry. Young at heart but with some limitations.

Thanks!!! Linda When I was in my 20's I still would have complained about having to drag my luggage. :D:D

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi Judy, I was referring to the cost of my internet service. I spend hours on travel sites and tourism boards. You can probably guess what my job is.
then you probably discover some fantastic travel bargains! what is your clue to pounce?

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 01:10 AM
How old is your grandma and how agile is she?

on 1-10 scale she is a 2 agile and mid seventies but not the fitest!! She has two bad knees also

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 01:13 AM

never a waste!!

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 01:16 AM
on 1-10 scale she is a 2 agile and mid seventies but not the fitest!! She has two bad knees also
shucks, i was hoping that you would say she was pretty spy. under the circumstances, I'm not so sure that Europe is a good choice, unless she really doesnt mind staying on the ship... there is so much walking involved, i would be worried...

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 01:17 AM
gotta finish up some work ,then try to get some shut eye
I will see you good folks tomorrow

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Nancy

yep yep very chatty!! Look what happens when I go to work!!

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 01:28 AM
gotta finish up some work ,then try to get some shut eye
I will see you good folks tomorrow

Good night! I am heading to bed myself!!!

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 01:58 AM
shucks, i was hoping that you would say she was pretty spy. under the circumstances, I'm not so sure that Europe is a good choice, unless she really doesnt mind staying on the ship... there is so much walking involved, i would be worried...

yes I know. When we were there two years ago we ran all over the place so I know how much walking etc is involved and I know she couldnt keep up

UniqueNTexas
June 24th, 2011, 06:04 AM
safe travels Regina
Thanks!!! I am sooo ready to go home that I'm up and about real early. It seems that others are too!!!

Interesting news re: Rome - some shoe company is going to foot the bill for millions of dollars in renovations to the Coliseum.

And saw something else weird today... there's some company trying to sell early access to overhead bins on planes... I hate the idea, so I didn't look into it much... but enough with the extra charges for sure!

Nothing surprises me. I just saw an airline charging to hold a reservation for more than 24 hours. Can you believe that? I just keep rebooking until I decide. Pretty soon they'll be charging for the soda and cup. What's next???

Happy early birthday!!! It's really cool that the country celebrates with you too!!

Well, I better get ready for work. Chat with you guys soon!!!

Regina

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM
That's for sure!!

Linda
I think Cumming is near Alpharetta. that is where my sister lives

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-3-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-4-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-4-50-trans.gifdays till we be Breezin thru the Med

starr_sun
June 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Cheri,
Mel and us will be celebrating your birthday together!!!

I am so excited Mel....I get to see you in 1 week!!!!!

bluwes
June 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Its great having a time difference between England and the States. I go to bed on Page 107, the next time I check in the following morning I have 5 whole pages to catch up on. !!

One question I would like to ask, some of the excursions shown on the blog are listed as full. Are the group organizer's interested in taking any more passengers.

Liz and I would be interested in joining some of the tours particularly in Greece and Turkey as these are new ports to us.

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
yes I know. When we were there two years ago we ran all over the place so I know how much walking etc is involved and I know she couldnt keep up
My parents are tagging along. They are up in age but still very mobile and in good health. They will have a few days where they'll have to stay behind on the ship OR stay on the bus. they want to see Europe too, so this will require a lot of planning

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Nothing surprises me. I just saw an airline charging to hold a reservation for more than 24 hours. Can you believe that? I just keep rebooking until I decide. Pretty soon they'll be charging for the soda and cup. What's next???
Regina
Hi Regina,
how do you rebook? by phone? i did not know that was still an option

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Its great having a time difference between England and the States. I go to bed on Page 107, the next time I check in the following morning I have 5 whole pages to catch up on. !!

One question I would like to ask, some of the excursions shown on the blog are listed as full. Are the group organizer's interested in taking any more passengers.

Liz and I would be interested in joining some of the tours particularly in Greece and Turkey as these are new ports to us.

I think that we will have space on the Spiros Athens tour, Gwyn is the "host". she is waiting to hear back about capacity.

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Off to work!
Have a great day everyone. I'll be back later to catch up:D

starr_sun
June 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I know that the tour company I am using only has an eight seat van. I can send you some information the other tour companies that I contacted or post their web addresses on the website if you wish.

copman
June 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hello to all...just got back from our 12-days on the Magic...it was great. We are at the Grand Marina in Barcelona and flying back in the morning.

So much to say and get caught up on, but will have to wait until I get home.

I did check out the Hotel Olimpia while in Venice and it is very lovely...the staff were very nice and told me that prices are only going to rise as both the 1st and 2nd are very busy days for them. I am pleased with the choice we made on this one.

I can say that while I tend to always book Carnival tours....they were a bit rushed on the Magic...we barely had time to go to the bathroom and pick up any souvenirs before we had to get back on the bus...sometimes we had to choose between one or the other and not both.

The steak house is well worth the extra money...

More later...

Clayton

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
When I was in my 20's I still would have complained about having to drag my luggage. :D:D

Too funny!!!

starr_sun
June 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hello to all...just got back from our 12-days on the Magic...it was great. We are at the Grand Marina in Barcelona and flying back in the morning.

I did check out the Hotel Olimpia while in Venice and it is very lovely...the staff were very nice and told me that prices are only going to rise as both the 1st and 2nd are very busy days for them. I am pleased with the choice we made on this one.

I can say that while I tend to always book Carnival tours....they were a bit rushed on the Magic...we barely had time to go to the bathroom and pick up any souvenirs before we had to get back on the bus...sometimes we had to choose between one or the other and not both.

More later...

Clayton

Welcome Back!

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM

More later...

Clayton
Welcome back. have a safe flight home. I know what you mean about Carnival Excursions being rushed over in Europe. I have excursions picked out but not long ones that way we have time to do things on our own. when we were on Carnival Dream most of our Excursions were the length of time we were in port 8-10 hours. will not do that again. the tour guide for Pisa even told us that there was not much time to really enjoy. It was the tour where you go up the tower. It was a 10 hour tour and 200 pp. not worth all the rushing

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I might be opening up four spots on the greece tour. Check it out and let me know!

inettrvlr
June 24th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Ingrid you should be able to cancel the cruise insurance and shop around for insurance that will cover your air and hotels.

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM

More later...

Clayton

Welcome back!!!

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
here is a way to make the time go by fast
26 weeks left in the year then we can say 23 weeks till we sail

cruiser/teacher
June 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM
That's for sure!!

Linda
Linda- Wow! 4th and 5th grade! I couldn't do that...I love my first graders. Thanks goodness teachers have a special place in their hearts for different age groups/grades to help make this world go round. Like, high school teachers :eek:, I couldn't do that in a million years!
Nancy
PS- I am a transplant to Georgia so I will have to look on a map to see where Cumming, Georgia is.

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
here is a way to make the time go by fast
26 weeks left in the year then we can say 23 weeks till we sail

I think I will use 9 weeks till school starts again, then 4 9-week periods till the school year is ova, then that day run to the airport!

Are you off today?

going back to painting everyone - (trim work) - I will check in later!

inettrvlr
June 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
If money was not an object, I wouldn't mind trying it! :D But I would miss my 2 Pugs!!!:D I did have a horrible thought today though; imagine the food I would have available, then would I eat too much and gain weight the whole time, OR would I get sick of food???? Well I probably would have warm chocolate melting cake only 4 days a week rather than 7!!!!

Harry would go bonkers with me for 100 days!! I say he only pays attention to 400 words per day then he shuts off listening to me; no matter what time of the day it is.

I tease him - please give me a couple hundred more words per day till he shuts me out, for ex., that would make a good Christmas gift. He says he would rather spend money than giving me the extra words!!!:rolleyes::p

That is too funny-400 words per day-I don't think Don hears 100 from me. He always says "you didn't tell me about that!" when I actually did. Gotta love them, tho, don't we?

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ingrid you should be able to cancel the cruise insurance and shop around for insurance that will cover your air and hotels.
i took notes so I WILL do that over the weekend! thanks for looking out!!!

starr_sun
June 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
That is too funny-400 words per day-I don't think Don hears 100 from me. He always says "you didn't tell me about that!" when I actually did. Gotta love them, tho, don't we?

I don't know....I think they are listening to some of it even though they act like they are not. The other day I told Mikey about 5 things and he was ignoring me. Then I said are you listening to me and he quoted them back word for word.

I have noticed that when it is something important and they forget about it....you do get the response "you never told me that."

I myself forgot something the other day but he remembered and took care of it for me. I think I'll keep him!!! :D

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM

More later...

Clayton
Welcome back and have a great flight home!

inettrvlr
June 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
then you probably discover some fantastic travel bargains! what is your clue to pounce?

22 yrs of experience. We paid $880 for RT air to Rome on the Dream from Sacramento which is excellent. The current fare for the Breeze for us has been $1300 but when it becomes available I expect to pay between $800 and $1000. I'm sure the board will lite up when the bargains come out.

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think I will use 9 weeks till school starts again, then 4 9-week periods till the school year is ova, then that day run to the airport!

Are you off today?

going back to painting everyone - (trim work) - I will check in later!
Yes I am off till Monday. friend is coming over tonight so that we can explore excursions together. amd do some planning.
tomorrow family coming over for a day in the pool and cards.
just a relaxing weekend. No hard work for me except on the boards and internet searching (thats not work or is it:D)
don't work to hard painting:)

yank268
June 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I can not find who was looking for a family room under 300 Euro but while doing some research in Rick steves' book I found there are some at Pensione Guerrato. Hope it helps.

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
22 yrs of experience. We paid $880 for RT air to Rome on the Dream from Sacramento which is excellent. The current fare for the Breeze for us has been $1300 but when it becomes available I expect to pay between $800 and $1000. I'm sure the board will lite up when the bargains come out.

I know what you mean we paid $800 RT from Charleston to Atlanta to Paris to Rome on Air France.
But I will not be using them this time no matter how good the price is. We will not be landing in Paris again for them to lose my luggage before a cruise:eek: I can't go thru that headache again

starr_sun
June 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I can not find who was looking for a family room under 300 Euro but while doing some research in Rick steves' book I found there are some at Pensione Guerrato. Hope it helps.

Ruth I think it was NSSLY. I'll email your response over to him.

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Cheri,

have fun.

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM

I hear that all the time...you didnt tell me! Sometimes, it works to our advantage!;) If you only get 100 words per day then I guess I should be happy!!!

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know....I think they are listening to some of it even though they act like they are not. The other day I told Mikey about 5 things and he was ignoring me. Then I said are you listening to me and he quoted them back word for word.

I have noticed that when it is something important and they forget about it....you do get the response "you never told me that."

I myself forgot something the other day but he remembered and took care of it for me. I think I'll keep him!!! :D

I also get that quoting back thing sometimes!!

I think I will keep mine too...he likes to travel :D:D:D

And Harry does have a great memory when he wants to...for ex. I might try to remember where we put something and can't, but if I call harry, he usually remembers! I tell my kis at school "you are in charge of remembering where we are putting this! ;)

Prairie_Gal
June 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM

More later...

Clayton

Good to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Can't wait to hear all about it!

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Yes I am off till Monday. friend is coming over tonight so that we can explore excursions together. amd do some planning.
tomorrow family coming over for a day in the pool and cards.
just a relaxing weekend. No hard work for me except on the boards and internet searching (thats not work or is it:D)
don't work to hard painting:)

Hi Cheri, have a great weekend. Let us know what shore excursions you pick out. After I pick my hotels this weekend I plan to start getting serious about shore excursions and tours.

Linda

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I think Cumming is near Alpharetta. that is where my sister lives

Yes it is. They lived in Alpharetta when they first moved to the Atlanta area 15 years ago.

sunny-leah
June 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM

More later...

Clayton

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all the details.

Linda

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Cheri,

Yep we are leaving next Thursday!! Trying to decide if I am bringing my laptop!!

agavin
June 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Yep we are leaving next Thursday!! Trying to decide if I am bringing my laptop!!

Leave it home!!! Have a great BOTB reunion :) We'll wave hello from Boston.

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I know that the tour company I am using only has an eight seat van. I can send you some information the other tour companies that I contacted or post their web addresses on the website if you wish.

the web address might be good so that additional buses can be booked!!

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM

More later...

Clayton

So happy to hear from you and hope your flight home is relaxing!!

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 06:22 PM

You know you want to bring it!:)

cruiser/teacher
June 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Okay so I emailed the Hotel Continental in Barcelona about whether or not they could accomodate 5 people with a triple room and a double room. (Because the website only showed double rooms). They said yes and that they had availablity for the 15th of June. So I have forwarded the info to our travel agent... hopefully in the next few days we will have a balcony room and inside room booked with the partying bunch staying at this hotel post-cruise. :D
Nancy

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM

O yes we love him!!

themnms
June 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM

they will light up!! Thats for sure and thats how we found out about the terrific Iberia rate for the Dream

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
how far out did you purchase your airfare? and di you sail out of ROme?

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Okay so I emailed the Hotel Continental in Barcelona about whether or not they could accomodate 5 people with a triple room and a double room. (Because the website only showed double rooms). They said yes and that they had availablity for the 15th of June. So I have forwarded the info to our travel agent... hopefully in the next few days we will have a balcony room and inside room booked with the partying bunch staying at this hotel post-cruise. :D
Nancy
OMG, when I saw the Continental June 15th, I had a fright. I thought I'd booked the precruise dates in Barcelona...

regarding the rooms at the Continental Barcelona, i seem to remember the "Large" double room having a 3rd bed

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Nancy

Found one of the quotes from the Continental
Single or Double Room (price “ALL INCLUDED” in euros, per room and per night): - Exterior “Balcony room overlooking La Rambla”, queen bed or twin beds: 122
- Interior “Standard Plus room”, queen bed or twin beds: 110 Triple Room (price “ALL INCLUDED” in euros, per room and per night):
- Exterior “Balcony room overlooking La Rambla”, queen bed or twin beds with one extra bed: 162
- Interior “Special room”, queen bed plus two single beds: 162 (is a bigger room without any special view) *Extra bed (70 cm. wide): Adults €40 – Children € 20 (under the age of 5: free of charge)

travln_isa
June 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
they will light up!! Thats for sure and thats how we found out about the terrific Iberia rate for the Dream
I am curious, did you have round trip or open jaw tickets?

enjoyinglife
June 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Nancy

cool!!!

WiggleBay
June 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
you know you want to bring it with you or you will have 10+ pages to read when you get back

Hi Cheri, have a great weekend. Let us know what shore excursions you pick out. After I pick my hotels this weekend I plan to start getting serious about shore excursions and tours.

Linda
I have some of them picked out already will list them by the end of the weekend:)

You know you want to bring it!:)
agree he has to bring it:D

bluwes
June 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Some great pics on here for you to be going on with , especially of Venice.

Poster was on the Magic Inaugural so ship photos will be relevant as the Breeze will not be much different.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1410933