PDA

View Full Version : Update: Disabled Passenger Ordered Off Cruise Issued Full Refund

LauraS
May 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Update: Disabled Passenger Ordered Off Cruise Issued Full Refund

Read the entire news article... (http://feeds.cruisecritic.com/~r/cruisecritic/site/cc/new4blog/~3/o-2TtT5Z2gs/news.cfm)

Krazy Kruizers
May 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
thank you for the update

i caan't imagine traveling alone with MS where you require assistance for nearly everything

Sunebeach
May 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM
As a nurse I can understand one's desire to travel and remain independant, but to expect a cruise line to assist you to the toilet and I assume clean one's back side....if I were his cabin steward...my response would be to the disabled man...'they don't pay me enough to do that."
A cabin steward would not know the proper body mechanincs to safely transfer persons in wheelchairs without causing injury to the passenger or the crew member...hiring a private duty nurse would be pricey, but so was his suite. He could have gotten a smaller room and hired a personal attendant/nurse to travel with him for the cost of the room he had.
Sorry to hear he didn't get to finish his trip, but I can see the cruise ships side as well, fears of lawsuits from injuries sustained from untrained personnel would justify them cancelling the rest of his trip. The entitlement of some people is just beyond my grasp. ADA or not, the cruise lines should not be expected to accomodate such personal care needs of it's passengers.

FLACRUISER99
May 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Unbelievable!!

Cruise Raider
May 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
As a nurse I can understand one's desire to travel and remain independant, but to expect a cruise line to assist you to the toilet and I assume clean one's back side....if I were his cabin steward...my response would be to the disabled man...'they don't pay me enough to do that."
A cabin steward would not know the proper body mechanincs to safely transfer persons in wheelchairs without causing injury to the passenger or the crew member...hiring a private duty nurse would be pricey, but so was his suite. He could have gotten a smaller room and hired a personal attendant/nurse to travel with him for the cost of the room he had.
Sorry to hear he didn't get to finish his trip, but I can see the cruise ships side as well, fears of lawsuits from injuries sustained from untrained personnel would justify them cancelling the rest of his trip. The entitlement of some people is just beyond my grasp. ADA or not, the cruise lines should not be expected to accomodate such personal care needs of it's passengers.

Yes, his requests seemed like they were a bit over the top. Suite or not, a personal care assistant is not in his or anyone else's cruise contract -- so they shouldn't be held responsible for this.

Cruiseboy06
May 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
As a disabled person (Cerebral Palsy, and use a wheelchair)
I don't feel sorry for this passenger. Damn well, he knew that he needs assistance. its not cruiseline's responsibility to take care of his daily needs..

Synical Investor
May 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Sounds like he's going to try to make this an "ADA" statement. I'm sure SOME lawyer will pick it up and run with it. Look for all ships to be dry docked for renovations!