PDA

View Full Version : Let the Games Begin Again - Part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

wvufan
June 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Good morning :)

Luckily, most of them sleep in when they are here so there is not a traffic jam ;).

I love seeing the pros play a course where par is a challenge as long as it is fair.

Only rain in the forecast for the next 7 days is on Sunday-when we have a Father's Day cookout planned.

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

CAC104
June 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I was amazed how poorly many of the big names played in the Open yesterday. Looks like Tiger is back in form.

We tried something different last night, and the salmon we cooked on cedar planks outide over our grill was delicious. I followed all the instructions I read on multiple sites, and the only problem we had was the planks kept catching on fire, even though they had been soaked for hours. Our grill must be hotter than usual, and next time I wouldn't pre heat to such a high degree. The flavor of the fish was entirely different than when I cook it inside.

Lois R
June 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Bob, Jack is well, thanks:) Have I been through The Panama Canal?
Nope but those cruises are usually 2 weeks or more.....timing is not
good for me with work.

This is my first Father's day since daddy died.....we always watched
the Majors together:(

Lois R
June 17th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Hi, wishing all the Dad's and Grandad's a Happy Father's Day....:)

My sister and I are going to the cemetary later today.....

wvufan
June 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Happy Father's Day :)

My dad died in 1966 when I was only 20 years old. I feel a bit sad every Father's Day but am comforted knowing he loved me.

Well, I thought Tiger was going to roll but he seemed just a touch off all day. If he can post a 67 today he may still be in it. If he doesn't win I hope Furyk (or at least another American) wins it.

Hoping the rain holds off till after 3.

Hasta luego

wvufan
June 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Happy Birthday to West Virginia (1863).

Longest day of the year-I love it! But, now the days will get shorter for the next 6 months.

I teed off about 6:30 this morning (walking) and my shirt was drenched by the time I was finished. I use a push cart and rig an umbrella on the handle so am in the shade as much as possible, but it was still beaucoup hot and humid.

Tom, how was your cruise?

Who's up next in our gang?

I have a few pages left in Killing Lincoln-very well written and interesting book.

CAC104
June 21st, 2012, 09:17 AM
It was bloody hot yesterday and today is supposed to be as bad. I took GD Erin to a county water park and she had a ball on the slides and water obstacle courses. They also have an adult lap lane pool which I swam in. The water in the adult pool looked a whole lot better than the pool with all the attractions that the kids used. Actually, there were three pools, and the real little kids pool had fountains and looked like they enjoyed it. Thank goodness there was shade to sit in.

DH Kent drove up to the University of Pittsburg Lung Medical Center to get looked over again to see if they can offer any new treatments. It is an overnight trip, so since they said they wouldn't do a lung transplant for him because of what they think is an immunology disorder, he is going to switch to going to Johns Hopkins which is only an hour away. U of Pitt is supposed to be the #1 lung transplant center in America and that is why he started going up there in Jan. But John Hopkins has a better rated immunology dept. so it will be much better to switch. It is just a nightmare of getting all the records and test results copied and sent.

wvufan
June 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Howdy!

Hope the folks at Johns Hopkins provide optimum and effective treatment. Does he notice an improvement with the cutback in working? There's a great community waterpark about 8 miles from us. Our granddaughters came in yesterday and that is already on the agenda for next week. We also have a nice local pool a half mile away, so they will get plenty of that too.

Shot my best round of the year yesterday. 39 on the front (par35) and all bogeys (45) on the back for an 84. I had plenty of chances for pars on the back but couldn't chip close enough or make putts. I am thrilled to have a round without anything worse than a bogey.

Niece getting married today, so that will tie up most of the day. They are taking a honeymoon cruise on the Oasis next weekend. What a way to start off a marriage! Chances are they will love it and will become addicted like the rest of us.

Hasta luego

OOOEEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Lois R
June 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Hi friends:)

Bob, congrats on the nuptuals!

Well, thankfully the jury found Sandusky GUILTY!

CAC104
June 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
DH Kent has been put on a medicine to shut down his immune system which hopefully will stop his lungs from deteriorating, but it is making him ill, and he is having to take it very easy. This has put a lot more work on me, and we still wanted to get down to Florida for our usual month stay in Florida. We also have had our GD living with us for the past 3 weeks, so things have been really busy.

We were having great weather in Maryland, and I was so busy packing that I didn't check on the latest Florida weather reports, so we left MD to drive down yesterday morning at 8:30. It was great driving until Georgia and then we hit rain the rest of the way down. It was only torrential in a few spots, but pretty steady the whole way through Florida. Winds were high in some areas and it was the worst driving trip we have made so far. We arrived last night at 11:30 pm. We are pretty worn out from the trip and it will probably take me another day or two to get resettled and rested up.

We only had a few sprinkles this morning and I spent most of the morning in the grocery stores getting all the supplies. This afternoon eventhough it was cloudy, I stayed at the pool for about 3 hours with my 9 year old Grand daughter Erin. She is a little fish and loves the water. She was super on the ride down. It was her first really long car ride and she did great.

We are hoping for better weather, but we will just have to wait to see what happens. There are some movies she wants to see, and we have two cute museums close by to go to, so I have things to take her to.

wvufan
June 26th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Hope Kent adjusts quickly and problems are minimal. Is there a good pulmonary center near you in Florida? Super that you are able to enjoy Erin.

Our granddaughters are having a great time. Phyl took them horseback riding yesterday-pics on facebook. They are leaving for a 3 night camping trip today. They'll ride bikes, etc. Mainly just act goofy. Sometime while they are here (maybe a couple weeks or a month or more) I'll take them to the flicks-they want to see Brave. We are also going to a play this weekend. It's a takeoff on Nunsense acted by an all male cast.

My cousin from Texas is coming in later this week for a couple days. She's my fave cousin. We hope to Kayak (she has her own livery and is an instructor) and just chill.

I have friends in Jacksonville who told me the rain has been torrential there. They are either in a draught or monsoon.

Lois, did you decide on the Summit?

Well, gotta go help Phyl pack up the truck (bikes, tent, cots, etc).

Hasta luego

Lois R
June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Bob, I booked Summit for November:) I am in one of the new
window cabins on deck 3. Those windows (from what I have been told)
are REALLY NICE:D and the cabins? Are the new ones from when she
was Solsticizied.
It is flooding here........ALOT:eek:....they actually closed part of
I-10!:confused:

CAC104
June 30th, 2012, 07:22 PM
If you are watching Tiger's golf tournament held at Congressional Country Club, then you can see what my area looks like. I only live a few miles away, and that is where we worked from 1984-1995.

My neighbors have told me that I have three large tree branches down in my yard and that my newly done screen porch had the screens blown out, but other than that the house is okay. No power of course, but since we are in Florida I had cleaned out the refrigerators and didn't have too much stored in the freezer parts.

We are glad we are enjoying lovely weather in Florida and having fun swimming in the pool. Plus, my husband can breathe since his machines are perking along on electricity. If we were home we would have to evacuate to get him somewhere with power to run the machine.

Colorado is literally burning up, and the middle states are overheated and suffering storms. Sure is scary what is going on

Lois R
July 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hi ya'll.....HAPPY 4th of JULY to everyone:D:):D
We have today off but have to go back to work tomorrow and Friday:rolleyes:

And I am sure ya'll heard about Andy Griffith's passing.....he certainly
was a part of our American Fabric.......

Have a good day everyone......be safe!

wvufan
July 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM
It was a dark and stormy night :eek:!

It hit like a wall around 6 pm Friday and we immediately lost power. It wasn't restored until Monday evening. Many are still without power. Some were/are without water too. Winds were around 70-80 mph. Blew over grill, plants, trashcans. Some branches down but no damage. We were very lucky! Our neighborhood in general got slammed. Large trees down damaging houses, cars, blocking roads, etc. Luckily, there was a grocery store a mile away that had power the next day so we could get some stuff. Ice was in very short supply, but I got lucky a few times. We have a gas stove and gas grill, so we were able to eat OK. Lost some food in refer, but it was mostly old stuff that needed to be discarded anyway. People across the street lost about $1500 of special diet stuff for their autistic kid. Had to drive around to charge phones. Luckily we had gas in our cars. There was one station open about a mile away, but lines were very long with angry people.

Our grandkids were here, and we had a blast (pun intended). After the long initial barrage, we were able to sit on our front porch. Their dad called all worried-wanted us to drive up to Joisey or himself to come get the kids, but we convinced him we would be fine. The kids got on the phone and told him we were having fun-which we were.

My cousin from Texas come in Saturday night. We had scheduled a trip to the Wilds [neat place-google it] in Ohio for Sunday. We couldn't get in touch with them by phone to see if they were still open, so we drove up and actually had a nice tour. Plus, we got so ride up and back in air conditioning! That morning we also took a walk through that nature preserve I often mention. Looked like a war zone. There were perhaps 40 major tree blockages in our path which we had to climb over, under, around, or through. Quite an adventure and challenge.

The storm Sunday night was not as severe. This time, we put our grill, chairs, etc in the garage and it was no big deal.

Monday we went kayaking as planned. My cousin has her own kayaking livery in the Houston area and is a certified instructor, so we got some good training. The grandkids really just wanted to play around, but they still learned some stuff. The highlight was when we crossed the wide Ohio river. There is an island upstream from where we normally would have gone straight across, and we decided to go there and explore. We found a rope swing and had fun swinging out over the water. Very nice refreshing break from the paddling.

She left yesterday afternoon, and our son and DIL came in last night. They are staying in a motel in the next town up the river-they didn't know when our power would be back on so they wanted to have a place for them to stay and the kids to escape to if desired.

Supposed to be near 100 tomorrow, so will mow today when it is only in the mid 90s.

Carol, we're glad there was minimal damage to your place.

Nova, you OK?

Lois, we are both Andy Griffith fans. I first saw him in the play No Time for Sargeants back in the 50s in PR. Phyl watches all the reruns for his show and Matlock. I suspect he and Don are enjoying each other all over again.

Happy Independence Day!

CAC104
July 4th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Bob...sounds like you coped well without power and managed to have a good time. We never had AC when I was growing up, so everyone came outside after dinner and sat and talked in the cooler night air before going in to go to bed. Now, everyone stays indoors.

I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July. We went to SIL Maria's for a pool party and Bar b que. Everyone brought a dish or two, so the food was delicious.

It's a good thing we are here because power keeps going on and off in Maryland. Kent is on the oxygen machine or tanks all the time while on this new medicine, so we would have been in bad shape.

I wonder if Susan lost her power. VA was hit pretty bad.

CAC104
July 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM
This is why I love being in Florida....
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/564134_3960554305098_615145972_n.jpg
I spent a good deal of the day with Erin at the beach...that's her with the shovel sitting down. I sit under the beach umbrella and the breeze was cool. The water temp was just right.:)

I am hoping that Susan has power at her house. VA was hit hard and she hasn't posted in a while.

wvufan
July 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Good morning from my new laptop! Feels like I went from a Yugo to an Audi!

Still thousands in our county without power (including a niece who lives on the next block), and some without water. There are ice and water stations. They are saying full restoration by Monday. Been a heckuva mess, but we have made the most of it. Walked my trails this morning-they still haven't been touched and are almost impassable. Good workout.

SIL had her annual cookout and fireworks party last night. I only stayed for a couple hours as I wanted to get back to my air conditioned den and Yankee game.

Carol, we are officially jealous! I think Phyl and the girls are going to do an overnight in Columbus this week and go to the COSI and zoo. At least they will have a hotel with a pool.

I too have been worried about Susan. Maybe they got out of town and are with relatives. Hope Tom and Brigitte weren't affected, but there was a lot of damage in the Smoky Mountains. Cade's cove was a mess and they had a heckuva time getting folks out for medical care. Can you imagine being a hiker on the Appalachian trail?

Hasta luego

CAC104
July 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I didn't realize that the trail was hit so hard. I know from folks back in MD that a lot of people still do not have power. They are the ones who lived more out in the country with the overhead wires. Since they also have wells, they also don't have water. One of my friends who lives out there had this happen back when they had a big snowstorm and lost power, so they installed a huge generator. Not enough to run the AC, but enough to have fans and all the appliances running.

I have today and tomorrow off from grandmother duties since Jim is off from work. He has two more days and then his PGA job is over and he goes on our MD vacation time. So, the future is looking better for me to have time for myself. I love the time with Erin, but full care requires more energy than I have after the weeks pass by. It has been a month now.

Kent is still working with Bill Glasson via videos and phone calls, and Bill is doing well. It has been good for Kent because he rarely leaves the house now. The medicine he is on is really making him a partial invalid. I sure hope it is worth it. I didn't want him to go on it, but it was his decision.

jgnova
July 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Sorry, I meant to post before we left for our third annual Fourth of July visit to Skyline Drive. The storm came through here moments after we got home from services on Friday night (we had to help set up and clean up the after-services refreshments) and, yes, we lost power for about 30 hours, then again on Monday for a few hours in the afternoon. We figured they were working "up the line" and had to close off our power while they did that.

The problem with the storm was that it knocked down a smallish tree in the back yard. It didn't damage anything except for blocking the path for the generator from the shed to the back of the house. So at 1 a.m. that night, after the rain let up, I was out there with the lopper working on whatever I could manage. J came out with the small saw later. Between us, we cleared enough of a path and the generator could be pulled through. So we ran it for an hour or two at a time that night and morning. (Neighbors plugged in their refrigerators, too.) Did more work on Saturday morning, with lopper and chain saws, including with neighbor's help then and on Sunday, to clear out that tree and a smaller dogwood that broke on the other side of the shed as well.

Saturday we had tix for the Shakespeare Theatre's matinee of The Servant of Two Masters, perhaps the funniest show we've ever seen. No problems there with the power, luckily. Ran the generator again when we got home.

Luckily, we got power back within a very reasonable time. I think the damage was pretty typical for a "derecho" storm, as they've described it. These were not diseased trees. In fact, we had JUST had a silver maple taken down in the front yard that we were so glad was no longer there during that storm and the arborist had taken a look at all the trees in the back yard as well -- they had done some pruning in the big oak and the little apple (I always thought it was a crab apple but he said it wasn't). He didn't recommend any other work so we did know these were healthy trees. It was just the force of the wind that basically broke the tulip poplar mid-trunk. So very strange. But very lucky that it fell where it did. Still, it was not a lot of fun and we were pretty exhausted by the whole weekend.

We had a lovely trip to Skyline except for excessive heat and no AC. :cool: We left home Tuesday midday, arrived to discover that there was no power at Skyline, but we stayed anyhow -- it came on a day or so later, and we got home Sunday late afternoon. Did get to hear Charlie Maddox at Big Meadows on Saturday night (hammered dulcimer, Appalachian and pre-1920's stuff -- we really enjoy his shows). If he hadn't be scheduled, we might have left early because of the heat, to be honest.

Now we're looking forward to leaving on Saturday for Miami Beach and getting home Tuesday evening. I've knit ice cream cones for two of the kidlets and the baby will get a knit woven ball with a little bell in the middle (used a cat toy, almost indestructible, but tied into an old stocking just in case it gets wormed out of the ball somehow). We saw everyone a few months ago, but it wasn't a restful enjoyable time, so we are all looking forward to this visit. Hey, it won't be 105 degrees there, right? :rolleyes:

S

CAC104
July 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Great to hear from you Nova....I'll bet you were happy you had that generator. If we didn't have this condo to come to, then we would also put in a generator. Seems like power is going off more and more with these crazy storms.

Have a great trip to Miami. No hurricanes are in the forecast and we have been cooler than up north:D...Of course Miami is 2 hours south of me, so they may be warmer.

I am watching Kent get sicker and sicker from the meds the doctors have him on. I made him get in touch with them about his symptoms, and they said that is normal. To me it looks like they are killing him and I asked him to ask them how many people died on this stuff, but he won't do it.

Lois R
July 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hi Folks, Carole, hope Kent is feeling better........

Susan, glad you are ok and I guess you are in Miami now...hope you
are having a great time:)

Well, we had a fire in one of the buildings in my complex last night:rolleyes:
Thankfully nobody was hurt but it seems a propane tank exploded:eek:
which was sitting on the person's balcony....it was on the 2nd floor.
Fire Dept got here quickly. I don't believe anyone was even home
when it happened.

Let's see...what else is going on....my roll call for Summit in Nov is
what would be considered slim to none.....and so it goes.

I am really looking forward to see SUMMIT all fixed up:D

Hi Bob, hope you and Phyllis are good:)

Hi Lorraine and Dave..thinking about you too.

Hi Claudia......and you as well.......

Hi Sharon, wherever you are.......

CAC104
July 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hi Lois....seems like everyone is dropping off this thread:(

That fire was the type of excitment you don't want. Here is some irony....we were just told the Fire Marshall for our county has banned propane tanks from all the balconys found on condos, town houses and apartments. No more cooking on balconies or covered porches in those types of homes allowed.

Lois R
July 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hi Lois....seems like everyone is dropping off this thread:(

That fire was the type of excitment you don't want. Here is some irony....we were just told the Fire Marshall for our county has banned propane tanks from all the balconys found on condos, town houses and apartments. No more cooking on balconies or covered porches in those types of homes allowed.

Hi Carole, I would think that would have to be in the by-laws if you
live in a condo or any type of association really. But better to be
safe than sorry.

Bob is always still here:D:):D........

CAC104
July 15th, 2012, 02:11 PM
It was one of the things that everyone ignored in the by laws. But, now it is a county rule so everyone must comply.

wvufan
July 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Good morning!

Lois, sure glad fire was no big deal. I looked at your roll call-didn't recognize anyone which is very unusual.

No porch grilling? Now that sucks. Who in the heck has time to think up these kind of rules. Carol, will they let you have grills in the yard?

Sure hope they can come up with something better for Kent. The cure seems worse than the problem.

Susan, hope you had a good trip to Miami.

VC, we need to hear from you!

Tom, how was the London trip? I wouldn't go near there now for free!

Again, we have slowed down on this thread. The stats suggest people are looking in, but not posting, and that seems to be contagious. If all our gang would at least say hi when they look, that would be contagious too.

Off golfing in a few minutes.

Hasta luego

jgnova
July 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Wow, Lois, that was a pretty lucky outcome that could have been a lot worse. I remember that my first DC area rental apartment (also in Fairfax County, VA), which was fairly new at the time, always prohibited any grills on the balconies or patios. They did have a picnic area with grills for people to use.

The trip to Miami Beach was, of course, short (Saturday late afternoon to midday Tuesday), but gee, the chaos there is when there are three little boys. The 6 year old is a sweetie and understandably having big brother issues. The 2 year old is very much a 2 year old, with all the usual stuff a 2 year old has, but he's also a charmer when he's not acting out and quite advanced in many respects (like fine finger abilities, for example). The 7.5 month old is lovely. He had a bit of stranger effect when we first arrived, but got over that. We got a chance to drive/ride in my son's Fisker (http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/en-us/karma/overview)-- we took the 6 year old to his very first baseball game and had the privilege of driving the new car. Got quite a number of looks and comments. The Marlins vs. Nationals game was fun, even though the Nationals lost. Not sure how much the little one took in about playing the game vs. the pageantry. Got back to over 100 degree temps at 6:30 pm last night and the same today. Sigh.

Went to the local farmers' market today and got some nice fruit and veggies and honey. They also have meats and cheeses and eggs and so forth. Nice stuff. I tried not to add up how much it all cost, but gee, the tomatoes taste like tomatoes and the white corn was so very tender. Yummy dinner tonight and more for tomorrow. Anyhow, today was all errands and laundry and the usual catching up.

Lois, I think you'll enjoy the new Summit. Very spiffy and still the same style and service. We had a great cruise and since it wasn't so long since our Silhouette cruise, we could more easily realize why we prefer Summit (or similar) to the new larger glitzier ship like Silhouette. (Example: We didn't like the noise level produced by the architecture on Silhouette, with a very tall central foyer that carried the noise of performances down in the foyer up to the library and hideaway, which should be quiet spaces.)

Carol, it's a real concern that the medication is making Kent so very ill. What do the doctors say when he raises that question/concern? How long does he have to take it? It's not a for-the-foreseeable-future medication, right? Just for a limited period?

Bob, I fully agree -- there's not enough you could pay me to go anywhere near London. I hope the Games go off without any problems. Newshour just reported about concerns regarding security staff.

S

venicecruiser
July 19th, 2012, 06:34 AM
CAC - Sorry Kent is having such a hard time with his meds. Maybe the side effects will lessen in time?

Nova - Glad you enjoyed your trip to Miami and seeing your grandkids....

Bob - I wouldn't want to be in England during the Olympics!

Lois - Hope you're ok.

I got the results of my latest PET scan yesterday. The 2 new "spots" that the CAT scan in April showed have not changed or grown and nothing new showed up. So, I will have another scan in 6 months. At least no chemo in the near future!

VC

CruznTom
July 19th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I agree - I wouldn't go anywhere near London in August. And now our glorious TSA is going to help matters ?
The 2 TA's were great, but 5 days in Southampton not so great. It poured (not just the usual British drizzle)and with 30 to 40 mph winds and 40 degree temperatures for 4 1/2 day,s it was fairly miserable. We had planned to do day trips to London, Portsmouth, Winchaster and the like, but only managed Winchester on the 1/2 day that was decent.
Can't wait for Caribbean weather on this year's Christmas/New Year's trip.
I go in tomorrow morning to get my pacemaker replaced before Obamacare kicks in and I need Sibelius's permission for a 65 year old to stay alive (Just kidding [I hope] - batteries are run down) and pay a 3.5% tax on a medical device. Now that's bringing down medical costs. ;)
I hope they get Kent off those meds as soon as possible, as they had me on Prednisone for 1 1/2 years and that was miserable.
No more Where Are We?

Lois R
July 20th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Good morning.....Tom and Claudia, good to hear from both of you.

Bob, I am sure you know The OPEN is on now......very early here;)
Boy, Lefty had a bad day.....did you see the shot out of the bunker
into the deep grass?:eek:

Oh....as for not knowing anyone on that Summit Roll Call? I only
know 2 people.......
And I decided to give the girl who keeps posting a FB page a
heads up....not sure if anyone noticed but there is a new warning
at the top of the roll call forums~Cruise Critic is wanting to stop
the promotion of FB on roll calls.

Another mass shooting last night in Colorado:(....at a movie
theater.......What is wrong with people?:mad:

Lois R
July 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Sending all my heartfelt wishes and condolences to the victims
and their families tonite:(.....when I posted early this morning I
had not seen the details.....what a horrific event:mad:

CAC104
July 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
CAC - Sorry Kent is having such a hard time with his meds. Maybe the side effects will lessen in time?

Nova - Glad you enjoyed your trip to Miami and seeing your grandkids....

Bob - I wouldn't want to be in England during the Olympics!

Lois - Hope you're ok.

I got the results of my latest PET scan yesterday. The 2 new "spots" that the CAT scan in April showed have not changed or grown and nothing new showed up. So, I will have another scan in 6 months. At least no chemo in the near future!

VCThis seems to be good news, and I hope that the spots will not give you any trouble.

Sending all my heartfelt wishes and condolences to the victims
and their families tonite.....when I posted early this morning I
had not seen the details.....what a horrific event
I can't help but blame the diet of violence our kids are growing up with, and the terrible things they see in movies, TV and on line games. You get someone with a sick mind, and they are just filled with ideas. This type of thing never went on before TV and when the movies were very controlled.

Kent has to take this medicine until the end of Sept. It is a form of chemo, so he was told he wasn't going to be feeling good while taking it. It is just hard for him to get used to, and for me to watch.:(

I got my son and grand daughter off for the drive home to Maryland this morning and I am enjoying the peace and quiet now. I know I will be missing them after a few days, but it will be nice to just do what I want to do, and when I want to do it....And, to be able to sit and read on the beach and not have to be the vigilant life guard:D

Susan...It sounds like you had a good visit in Miami. I can just imagine how active a house with 3 little boys must have been. We keep seeing how awful the weather is up north, and have just decided to stay put here where it is so easy for me to swim and also be with my friends here.

Tom...I hope all goes well with the pace maker replacement.

Bob...How would you like to be playing on that British Open course? I know between the ugly weather and all the sand traps, I would hate it. At least they are having a nice day to play today. I also think a course without any trees is ugly.

CAC104
July 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Susan....I meant to comment that I had never heard of a Fisker, so I clicked on the link. That is really a sharp looking car, but how do they fit the kids in? Is there enough room for 3 car seats?

jgnova
July 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Carol, no, it's a four person car. They use the van for when everyone's going somewhere. He really wanted an electric car and, from what I gather, this is a much better engineered car than the Volt (and costs more, of course).

S

wvufan
July 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM

Grandkids went home yesterday and today we woke up to the house to ourselves for the first time in a month.

Well, almost to ourselves. The day before yesterday, one of the grandkids comes into the den and asks me if I like racoons. Uh Oh. Turns out that a mom and 5 small ones (not babies) decided to live in a space above our open porch. They really are cute, but I would just as soon they be cute somewhere else. There was a hole in the roof that a contractor is supposed to fix if he ever gets around to it. So, I get a trap from DNR. Caught mom the first night and one of the others yesterday. I took them to a lake about a half hour from here. 46 miles round trip. By the time I (hopefully) trap them all, I will have about 264 miles and $50 in gas. I reset the trap last night after I got back and there was one in when I woke up this morning, but it somehow avoided tripping it and was able to get out on its own.

VC, glad the spots don't seem to be a problem. Hang in there!

Tom, I would love to do more of the Where Am I's etc, but there was very little interest. Even most of those who did enjoy them seldom or never post.

Nova, sounds like the Miami trips are great but not necessarily relaxing. We get great corn around here and grill it at least a couple times a week. Tomatoes not ripe yet. Would love to ride in a Fiskar. Are they as silent as a subway?

Carol, I am glad you mentioned Kent is only on those meds until September-I thought it was a permanent thing. What are they hoping the meds will do?

How long will you be in Florida this time?

Lois, I have cruisediva and others on a chat like thing on my facebook-what is the warning all about?

Hey Sharon, whassup?

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Lois R
July 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM

Grandkids went home yesterday and today we woke up to the house to ourselves for the first time in a month.

Well, almost to ourselves. The day before yesterday, one of the grandkids comes into the den and asks me if I like racoons. Uh Oh. Turns out that a mom and 5 small ones (not babies) decided to live in a space above our open porch. They really are cute, but I would just as soon they be cute somewhere else. There was a hole in the roof that a contractor is supposed to fix if he ever gets around to it. So, I get a trap from DNR. Caught mom the first night and one of the others yesterday. I took them to a lake about a half hour from here. 46 miles round trip. By the time I (hopefully) trap them all, I will have about 264 miles and $50 in gas. I reset the trap last night after I got back and there was one in when I woke up this morning, but it somehow avoided tripping it and was able to get out on its own.

VC, glad the spots don't seem to be a problem. Hang in there!

Tom, I would love to do more of the Where Am I's etc, but there was very little interest. Even most of those who did enjoy them seldom or never post.

Nova, sounds like the Miami trips are great but not necessarily relaxing. We get great corn around here and grill it at least a couple times a week. Tomatoes not ripe yet. Would love to ride in a Fiskar. Are they as silent as a subway?

Carol, I am glad you mentioned Kent is only on those meds until September-I thought it was a permanent thing. What are they hoping the meds will do?

How long will you be in Florida this time?

Lois, I have cruisediva and others on a chat like thing on my facebook-what is the warning all about?

Hey Sharon, whassup?

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Hi Bob, good morning:) here is a link to the FB annoucement.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1673029

Watching the golf?

Carole, there are trees...after you posted that I was looking for them
and have seen them in certain areas. It is a links course so you know
it is not set up like a golf course here at home;)...actually there
are trees right near the 1st tee..........
Speaking for of tees....looks like the wind is blowing today and the
scores are going up...LOL

I am not an Adam Scott fan and so if someone close is there?
Anyone else is fine with me.

wvufan
July 22nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ernie :)

CAC104
July 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
That was an exciting finish to the Open. I do like Adam Scott, but I also like Ernie Els and he played really well to win. I think that Adam must have gotten a case of the nerves to stumble so badly coming in.

Lois...when I mean trees, I mean the kind of course that the trees line each fairway. Just a clump in a few places doesn't count....but that is what a links course is all about, and not to my liking.

Bob...the goal of this treatment for Kent is to shut down his immune system. Hopefully, when he stops taking the meds, his immune system will no longer attack his lungs when it kicks in again.

I hope you catch the rest of the baby racoons before they die. Without the Mom, they may not be getting any food.

Right now we have a huge thunder storm under way. Earlier it was just raining a bit on and off and I went out in the pool to swim my laps in the rain. The pool water is really warm, so it was completely comfortable and with no lightening in the area I felt safe to do it. Now, no way would I go out to swim.

Kevin and I are going to a bar b que party at 4, so I hope the storms pass through. Kent will not go out around a lot of people and kids, so he isn't going.

wvufan
July 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Carol, the little coons are youngsters but not babies, so I think they will be fine. I am letting all of them out at the same place at the lake, and am hopeful they will find each other.

Looked like Adam thought he could simply play safe coming in and then when he really needed a putt he couldn't get focused again.

I will be playing a links course at Nemacolin in a few weeks, but it is a great layout without silliness. I have played it for several years at my frat reunion.

Lois, thanks for the link. No problem.

Y'all have a great week.

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Lois R
July 22nd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi Bob, yep...what an ending to a Major:eek:.......wow. I have always
liked Ernie:D
I don't remember Adam Scott being so....normal? Years ago he always
seemed arrogant to me.....wonder if he changed over the years.
I think after he won the Players, which was a long, long time ago
he was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread......
He really blew it.....

CAC104
July 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Today it is cooler than it has been with over cast skies and forecasts of rain. It rained pretty much all day yesterday, but Kevin and I went to my friend's house for a dinner party that had to be moved indoors. I am having a lazy morning....I'm still in my pjs outside on the back porch and nothing is cleaned up inside.

wvufan
July 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Howdy

Big storm outside, but nothing like we had a few weeks ago.

Update on the coons. Yesterday I woke up to find two of them in the same trap. So, I took them out to the park where I dropped the other ones. I rebaited the other trap when I left. When I got back, the last (hopefully) coon was trapped! I put the trap in the back of the truck and there was a small hand towel I used to hold the handle. When we got to the park and opened the back of the truck, it had gotten the towel, pulled in into the trap, and was curled up on it like a pillow. Cute as a kitten. Not so cute trying to get it out, but we managed to do so. Hopefully many or all are reunited.

I am really loving my new laptop-should have done this years ago.

Am anxious for the Games-at least a lot of it will be televised.

Hasta manana

CAC104
July 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Again, we are cooler here in Florida than up north in my MD house. I keep praying for rain to come to the drought areas, but am worried we may be seeing a real disaster. When you look at pictures from back in the 1930s and see what a dustbowl parts of the country became, it can cause a lot of worry about a similar fate. We have never worried about our food supply, but things can change and that is a big worry of mine.

My brain is making my body do more things than it seems to be able to handle. I spent the day at the ocean yesterday, and then the body went on strike when I got back home yesterday and is still on a sit down strike:rolleyes:

wvufan
July 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
So, we got rid of the coons. Then, yesterday afternoon, Phyl is sitting in her room upstairs and a chipmunk scurries in to that room. So, I went out and bought a trap, managed to catch it last night, and relocated it about 5 miles away. We should charge admission!

Had the second best round of my life today (79). Had a 38 on the much harder back nine. The nice part is that I needed to par the last two holes to do it and managed to pull it off.

Been enjoying a lot of the Olympic events, but not the prime time delayed stuff. No way am I going to avoid the computer, ESPN, etc just to try to keep the suspense. I think next time it is in this hemisphere, but not sure.

I am going to Firestone on Thursday for the tourney there. Great spectator course.

Who's next on a cruise? We go Dec 1st.

Lois R
July 30th, 2012, 04:53 PM
So, we got rid of the coons. Then, yesterday afternoon, Phyl is sitting in her room upstairs and a chipmunk scurries in to that room. So, I went out and bought a trap, managed to catch it last night, and relocated it about 5 miles away. We should charge admission!

Had the second best round of my life today (79). Had a 38 on the much harder back nine. The nice part is that I needed to par the last two holes to do it and managed to pull it off.

Been enjoying a lot of the Olympic events, but not the prime time delayed stuff. No way am I going to avoid the computer, ESPN, etc just to try to keep the suspense. I think next time it is in this hemisphere, but not sure.

I am going to Firestone on Thursday for the tourney there. Great spectator course.

Who's next on a cruise? We go Dec 1st.

Hi Bob, I go on Summit Nov 10th:)

As for the Olympics.... I think NBC really screwed up over the
weekend:(.....I realize they want Primetime but on the weekend
they could do both:mad:.....it is SATURDAY AND SUNDAY afterall!!!!!
Televise it live during the day and re-show it in the evening.
Geeezzzzzzzzz..........ABC shows "THE OPEN" live......and we
watch it....NBC should have taken a lesson........

Bob, glad you got the critters.......
And congratulations on the great score!:D

wvufan
August 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Good morning,

Thanks to God and AA, I have now been sober for 31 years. :)

It has been 3 years today since Phyl's cancer surgery, and as far as we know she is doing fine. Please continue to keep her in your prayers and thoughts.

Went to the Bridgestone tourney yesterday-very hot but I enjoyed a lot of great golf. It is a good spectactor course.

I am watching a lot of the Olympics during the day and keeping track on the internet-I gave up on trying to not know the results until I can see them shown on TV at night.

Have a great weekend!

CAC104
August 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Good morning from my northern home. We made the long trip yesterday and it was great until we almost got home and then found out they were closing down 495 (our beltway) to do construction. We were so close, but it took over 2 hours to go just a few miles. We were getting really worried that Kent's oxygen tanks would run out before we got home. The car was filled with tanks, but he was down to just a bit left. I would have had to call 911 and get an ambulance with oxygen tanks find us on the highway if that had happened.

Since Kent can't do anything, I had to get the Florida place closed down and pack up, so I was too busy to post the past few days.

We left Florida at 9:30 yesterday morning and finally drove into the driveway at 1:00pm. DS Jim stayed awake in the MD house so he could help me unload the car, and that was so appreciated. I had been drinking coffee the whole day so I wouldn't get sleepy while driving, so of course I was awake until after 3pm. It's a hard drive, but I am happy to make it in one day.

wvufan
August 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Back 1944/45, my dad was working on the trigger mechanism for the atomic bomb. Sworn to secrecy, not even my mom knew what he was doing. I was born on August 5th, and the bomb fell on the 6th. He walked into her room at the hospital, handed her the newspaper (with the large headline about the bomb) and she said, "So that's what you've been up to for the last year."

My parents had been married for about 10 years and had tried to have a child but no luck. One day all the factors were in place and she called him at work. He left early, came home, and said "Let's go make that baby."

I love knowing that I didn't just happen, but that I had been deeply desired for 10 years and that I was the purpose not just the result.

Carol, is your house all back to normal post storm? When do you go back to Florida? When Kent gets off his treatment, what kind of activity level do they project?

I love watching a golf tournament at a course I have seen in person.

I have two TVs in my den and have been watching a lot of the Olympics. Am about saturated with volleyball and water polo, and am glad they are finally showing some track and field. To me, the 100 and the 1500 are the two main events.

Although I worked with people with disabilities for 23 years, and am certainly an advocate for their full participation in life, I think the blade runner potentially has an unfair advantage and that this was a door that shouldn't have been opened. There are too many other sports and events where a prosthesis would be a big advantage and unfair to other participants.

VC, any thoughts yet about a cruise?

Y'all have a great Sunday.

Lois R
August 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hi Bob, Happy Birthday my friend............:)

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear
Bob, Happy Birthday to you.................:D

Looks like our Women's Swimteam is going to be terrific for a long
time:D...15 years old.....17 years old......look out Rio!

It is raining here again:rolleyes:......

Have a good Sunday everyone:)

TenerifeSharon
August 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM
What a lovely way to describe your "birth day", Bob :). HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wishing you a wonderful day, and a year filled with good health and lots of happiness.

I'm not here often, but do check up occasionally -- at the moment because it's weekend and I finally have 2 days off from dental appointments. Tooth on left side pulled a week ago and a root canal on right side this past week may be good for the diet -- no way to eat anything solid -- but bad everything else (now on a round of antibiotics because of the bacteria that were set free by the procedure) -- YUCK (and, did I mention that I'm a real scaredy cat when it comes to dentists?). More appointments to follow, almost continually until we leave for Venice on October 6 to board Ruby Princess 3 days later. We get to Florida at the end of October and will be there for most of the winter.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Sunday -- whatever the weather is where you are!

CAC104
August 5th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Back 1944/45, my dad was working on the trigger mechanism for the atomic bomb. Sworn to secrecy, not even my mom knew what he was doing. I was born on August 5th, and the bomb fell on the 6th. He walked into her room at the hospital, handed her the newspaper (with the large headline about the bomb) and she said, "So that's what you've been up to for the last year."My Dad was away at the war for two years and then was discharged on the west coast. This is before everyone had instant access via phones and internet, so no one knew when he would arrive home. He walked in Christmas Eve and I was due to be born 9 months later! My Mom said she was listening to Christmas Carols when I was conceived and so they named me Carol. I was two weeks late in deciding to make an appearance so was born a bit after 9/25.

My parents had been married for about 10 years and had tried to have a child but no luck. One day all the factors were in place and she called him at work. He left early, came home, and said "Let's go make that baby."

I love knowing that I didn't just happen, but that I had been deeply desired for 10 years and that I was the purpose not just the result.

Carol, is your house all back to normal post storm? When do you go back to Florida? When Kent gets off his treatment, what kind of activity level do they project?The screen is still out on the porch, but the tree mess was all cleaned up.

I love watching a golf tournament at a course I have seen in person.

I have two TVs in my den and have been watching a lot of the Olympics. Am about saturated with volleyball and water polo, and am glad they are finally showing some track and field. To me, the 100 and the 1500 are the two main events.

Although I worked with people with disabilities for 23 years, and am certainly an advocate for their full participation in life, I think the blade runner potentially has an unfair advantage and that this was a door that shouldn't have been opened. There are too many other sports and events where a prosthesis would be a big advantage and unfair to other participants.
I agree with you. While it does seem to be wonderful that someone can rise up from such a disability, they are saying that the spring in the artifical legs is giving him an advantage.
VC, any thoughts yet about a cruise?

Y'all have a great Sunday.

What a lovely way to describe your "birth day", Bob :). HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wishing you a wonderful day, and a year filled with good health and lots of happiness.

I'm not here often, but do check up occasionally -- at the moment because it's weekend and I finally have 2 days off from dental appointments. Tooth on left side pulled a week ago and a root canal on right side this past week may be good for the diet -- no way to eat anything solid -- but bad everything else (now on a round of antibiotics because of the bacteria that were set free by the procedure) -- YUCK (and, did I mention that I'm a real scaredy cat when it comes to dentists?). More appointments to follow, almost continually until we leave for Venice on October 6 to board Ruby Princess 3 days later. We get to Florida at the end of October and will be there for most of the winter.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Sunday -- whatever the weather is where you are!
Sharon....Good to read your activities, but I really wish they were only fun ones for you. That dental work sounds like an ordeal.

Please let us know where in Florida you are going to be and maybe we can finally get to have a meeting!

Weather here is too hot for me to want to be outside, and I really miss my pool in Florida.

bug_dan
August 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Happy Birthday Bob:)

venicecruiser
August 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Happy Birthday, Bob!

VC

CAC104
August 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have been cleaning my carpets and was really tired so I slept really late this morning and then made myself get some chores done before getting on the computer. I often wonder what I would be doing with my time if the internet wasn't invented. It seems I amuse myself for hours on the computer.:rolleyes: My house and garden would probably be a lot more organized.

This site has gotten pretty quiet lately and I hope everyone is doing okay.

CAC104
August 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Knock, Knock.....Where is everybody?

wvufan
August 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm here!

Thanks for all the BD wishes. Lois, I was flattered by your nice comments on the big board.

Was gone since Thursday mornint to Morgantown for my annual frat reunion. Camped three nights. Thursday was windy and rainy, but the other nights were pleasant. Played at Nemocolin Friday. Picnic Friday night, get together and wine tasiting Saturday (water for me), nice buffet dinner at frat brother's house/mansion on Saturday night. They had one of the members of the bluegrass group Hillbilly Gypsies perforning. He played both the banjo and guitar, and I joined him for about a half hour trading off on the instruments. I really enjoyed that as I had seen him and his group on a TV show (Song of the Mountains) recently.

Got back around noon and have been sitting on my butt watching sports since. McElroy earned that one.

We are sailing out of FLL December 1st, but don't have a tentative schedule yet. Mayber we can figure out a way to have a team get together.

Hasta manana

CAC104
August 13th, 2012, 09:24 AM
We are planning on going back to Florida after election day, so we are there for a get together:D

Lois R
August 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi, Bob, well, it is the truth:):D:) maybe one day we can actually
cruise together.

Had my teeth cleaned today:D.......everything is looking good.

Hi Sharon, nice to see you again.

Hi everyone else......:)

wvufan
August 17th, 2012, 09:16 AM

The only tentatively dates we would be available for a face to face would be the 15th of December (that's the day we get off our cruise) and around the 29th of November. Would have to be on the Atlantic coast-preferably toward Daytona area.

Or, y'all could simply join us on our December 1st cruise on the Eclipse ;).

Have a great weekend.

CAC104
August 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I am hoping to get to take a little 4 day cruise on the Majesty in early Dec. I think that is all the time I will be able to leave Kent.

The weather sure got nice today. It was such a pretty day and after Kevin had his bowling club we spent the afternoon swimming at a friends pool. Kent has to stay home though:(

wvufan
August 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Been gone all week. We went to Stonewall Resort in Roanoke WV. Stayed in a great lakeside cottage-we stayed there last year too. It was us, our two kids, dil, and gds.

I played the course there yesterday and went to Morgantown today and played the Pines. That's where the Futures tour played for several years and I saw them live 4 times. It was very interesting to play the same holes myself. I lost so many balls yesterday that I had to go by Walmart on the way to the Pines today. But, played much better today and only lost one ball.

My bowling league started last week. I would love to be in a league that only bowled when it was rainy or below 40.

Hasta luego

bug_dan
August 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Bob,
I always thought the perfect bowing season would be to have 30 banquets and one bowling night:D

June "passed" her yearly mammogram and has been "Ok'd for another year. Hard to believe it's been 3 years.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lois R
August 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hi folks, Dan, good to see you and glad June is ok:)

Well, looks like Isaac is going west of us..thankfully:)

Hope all of you are doing well.......wherever anyone is........

Lorraine, hope you are well and the family is too.

Hi Claudia, hope you are ok.

Hi Sharon and Hugo....

Susan, you and Jonathon too and the grandbabies too....

I wonder how Helene and Paul are doing these days........

Of course Bob, I think of you and Phyllis often....

And Carole you too.;)

Football season is just around the corner:D....the real season.
Hopefully the officials will get back in time for the regular season...
these guys who are replacements? Not so good:rolleyes:

CAC104
August 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Not much going on here. Sat. is Kevin's bowling day and he bowled 154 and 148. If it were nice we could have gone swimming at a friend's pool, but it is drizzly, so no deal.

Our homeowners association e mailed us that they were expecting 4 inches of rain from the storm. Since we are on the second floor, we don't have to worry.

School starts next week and I have one day booked for a sub job. Kent is still staying mostly at home, and I can't wait until he finishes up this treatment the end of Sept. and gets off these drugs that are making him so sick.

I hope everyone is well and happy!

wvufan
August 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Howdy

Great news for June :)

Had the birthday party for our two GDs yesterday, and they are back in Joisey now. Won't see them again until Thanksgiving. It's been a wonderful but hectic summer, and we both are looking forward to a break.

Lois, I am very ready for football, particularly with new teams from the BIG 12 coming this year. Hope FSU joins next year.

Great bowling Kevin! I am only averaging 153, but didn't touch the ball all summer and this was just our third week. I anticpate being near 160 before the year is over. Our senior golf league ended today-my handicap is a 10 in that league(from the senior tees). Our tourney starts next week.

Am really loving my lap top!

Who is available to a f2f after Thanksgiving?

Hasta luego

Lois R
August 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hi Bob:)...a f2f after Thanksgiving? Where?

Can you believe the track of Isaac now?:mad:....he is taking the exact same
path as Katrina....:eek:

wvufan
August 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Howdy!

Lois, we are coming down sometime after Thanksgiving, and cruising out of FLL on Dec 1st. For several years we have all talked about a get together, and it seems that time frame might work out for Sharon, Carol, and hopefully you and VC. As we probably won't know our exact schedule until a week or so before we come, it would be best if someone simply organized something and we would try to make it. As of now, we would expect to spend the night of the 29th in DeLand at Phyl's cousin or in Jacksonville with our friends there, but other possibilities include staying with a friend near Cape Canveral. We are booked in a motel in FLL on Nov 30th. One option might be a brunch on the 30th near Daytona. Anyway, hope others post with some ideas and we'll see what happens.

Susan, I have something to email you, but can't fine your address. Please email me at bobrisher[at]suddenlink[dot]net

Carol, has Kent been able to hit any balls or at least work out? Any more contact from Glasson? What's new with Kim? I had been playing pretty well recently and decided that my game now merited getting a utility wedge-got one that matched my other irons (almost) on ebay. I have used it twice-once I hit and stuck the ball about two feet away from the pin and the other time was about 8 feet away. I think I'm in love LOL.

VC, hope you are past the administrative stuff and are doing OK.

I'm on FB and would welcome any of you as friends.

Lois R
August 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hi Bob,......good to see you. Today is 1 year since my Dad died.
I cannot believe it has been a year.....I miss him every day.

Not sure if you were on the BB...Host Andy's Dad passed away yesterday.

I will look at my calender to see those dates. It would be fun to
see you again for sure:)and nice to meet other folks too.

CAC104
September 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have been a busy beaver cleaning out closets that were vacated when my DD left home years ago. Turns out she hated her job in Chicago, and also didn't feel that Chicago was a good place for her, so she resigned her big job, got a severance package and moved home last night. All of her furniture is in shipping pods back in Chicago and will stay there while she decides what her next step will be.

This means that 3 of my 4 grown children are now living back at home with us. I guess that is the problem with still owning a nice big house with 5 bedrooms and lots of space :rolleyes:

Yesterday I had my first sub job of the new term, so summer is now over.

Weather here doesn't look good this morning. We are supposed to go swimming at a friend's house and I wonder if the weather is going to cooperate.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Bob...Kent has to be on the oxygen all the time, and doesn't feel well at all, so he hasn't touched a golf club since mid June when he started this treatment. He can lift some weights and ride the stationary bike at home, but he only leaves the house 3 mornings a week when he and Kevin go to the Golf Center to work on paper work. He has been in constant touch with Bill and does all his lessons on his IPad with Bill sending him videos of his swing and then Kent can check him out.

CAC104
September 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Giants didn't look so good last night:mad: Hard to believe they won the Super Bowl the way they played.

It is a yucky day here today and looks so gloomy outside. I can't get motivated to do anything.

I am beginning to think that this link has been abandoned by everyone:(

Lois R
September 6th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Giants didn't look so good last night:mad: Hard to believe they won the Super Bowl the way they played.

It is a yucky day here today and looks so gloomy outside. I can't get motivated to do anything.

I am beginning to think that this link has been abandoned by everyone:(

Hi Carol, I am still here....and yes, it has slowed up a bit.

I was rooting for the Giants too and am NOT a Cowboy's fan:(.....
Just remember, it is only 1 game.

Hi everyone else too:)

wvufan
September 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Howdy

It sure seems like this thread is often in the doldrums. Years ago, it seemed that many of us posted almost daily and then the thread built upon those comments. Now, I think people look in to see what is going on but don't initiate dialogue or share much. I miss the old days.

Played another good round of golf today and won low net in our usual Friday tourney. I have really been hot lately-82 today, 84 last week, 79 the week before that. These are 3 of my lowest scores of the year.

Y'all have a great weekend :).

Lois R
September 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Howdy

It sure seems like this thread is often in the doldrums. Years ago, it seemed that many of us posted almost daily and then the thread built upon those comments. Now, I think people look in to see what is going on but don't initiate dialogue or share much. I miss the old days.

Played another good round of golf today and won low net in our usual Friday tourney. I have really been hot lately-82 today, 84 last week, 79 the week before that. These are 3 of my lowest scores of the year.

Y'all have a great weekend :).

Hi Bob:) wow, you are shooting really low scores!

Last week was 1 year since dad died:(....not sure where the
time has gone:(

This is the real weekend for the NFL.....can't wait for Sunday!

And yes Bob, I miss them too........

CAC104
September 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Lois...As time goes by it will be easier for you and you will be able to think of your Dad without getting so sad.

Bob...Your golf is doing great. I left my golf clubs in Florida because since Kent can't play I didn't want to be going out and playing and leaving him home.

Have to tell you that last week Kevin bowled 189 and 191:D That has been his all time high so far.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

CAC104
September 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Today I take Kevin and his friend to bowling and then if the storms haven't rolled in we will go swimming at his friend's pool when we bring her home.

Lois R
September 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Today I take Kevin and his friend to bowling and then if the storms haven't rolled in we will go swimming at his friend's pool when we bring her home.

Hi, went shopping at Kohl's:) got a new dress and a new pair of pjs....
need them for my Nov cruise:D

Lois R
September 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Everyone ready for football today?:D:):D:)

wvufan
September 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Lois, I know you will always miss your dad, but I hope that good memories have replaced that initial grief that seems so overwhelming at the time.

Danged right I am ready for football! Great games yesterday. Y'all must have had some bad weather to have shortened the FSU game. We had one called in the 4th last year.

Saw some good golf yesterday too. Don't know how those poor people with only one tv in their den can cope :D.

Tell Kevin there is an opening on my team on Mondays!.

Off to figure out my bets for today.

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

venicecruiser
September 11th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'm doing a bit better, but I still miss Rod terribly and the house seems so empty and quiet-even with the dogs here...........

I decided to go ahead and do the btb Rod and I had booked on Grand Princess Dec 1. I'm doing it mostly so I can scatter Rod's ashes in the Caribbean as he wanted. Princess has been great advising me about the procedure and policies regarding this.

Hope all of you are well............

VC

CAC104
September 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM
VC...I think you are wise to go on the cruise, and it is nice that Princess is cooperating with you to spread the ashes.

I am so happy that football is back on again and that the Redskins and Ravens did so well. I have been on a football pick game thru friends from Tampa Bay and this year Kevin wanted to join. He actually won the week from our little group, and when we checked his stats he ranked #2 out 621 Tampa Bay posters. This is sponsored by the Tampa Bay paper. He beat me by three games.

I subbed today and was surprised that no mention was made of it being 911. I really thought with the Pentagon being so close that there would have been a moment of silence or something, but nothing

wvufan
September 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM
VC, when you mentioned those dates, I hoped we might be in the same port on the same day (that happened last year with friends on that ship) but our itinerary is in a different direction this year. Maybe "two ships passing in the night." Are you driving down on Dec 1st?

Carol, when is Kevin going to start his own betting service ala Don Best?

Lois, what ports are you visiting?

Bet on USF tonight.

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Lois R
September 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi folks:)

Claudia, good to hear from you again.

Bob, going to St Croix, St Kitts, Grenada, Dominica, and St Thomas.
I leave here on Nov 9th. Got a room via Priceline at the Radisson
Ambassador.

Glad tomorrow is Friday:)

venicecruiser
September 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Bob - I'm driving over to Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 30. I'm having dinner with some friends who live in Ft. Lauderdale........

VC

CAC104
September 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Lois....Happy New Year! And the same wishes to anyone else who looks in and is celebrating.

I subbed Thursday and Friday so I have been keeping busy.

My men at home...three of them....have really enjoyed my cooking the past two nights. It seems that my main focus is on feeding the family. Last night I did Kielbasa fried with onions, saurkraut, mashed pototoes green beans. and apple sauce. Friday I had minute steaks with fried onions, asparagus, mashed potatoes and ceasar salad. You can see that my guys like the meat and potatoes but I make sure they have their vegetables and fruits as well. Tonight it is grilled chicken breasts and I will figure out the rest when I look into the freezer.

We will get to watch the Ravens at 1 and then the Redskins at 4, so I will be really happy with the show times.

Then tonight the Golf channel will cover the Senior tournament held in Hawaii this week. Kent's long time student Bill Glasson is leading. Kent can't travel to provide coaching, or stand on the lesson tee any more but Bill sends him videos of his swing via internet and then Kent can analyze the swing and tell him what to do. Then they skype as well. Since Bill was in the lead yesterday, the TV coverage was on him all the time so Kent could see him play. Bill called after he was finished because he felt his driver was off, and Kent had seen what he thought was wrong and gave him advice. It is amazing how technology has allowed Kent to still give lessons.:D

Lois R
September 16th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Carol, thanks.....although I have not celebrated anything for years
and years and years:rolleyes:...to be honest, I don't even follow when they
fall anymore so I didn't know it started tonight.

wvufan
September 16th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I tuned in for the back nine, and wish I hadn't. That was even painful to watch. Other than one drive, it seemed like he didn't hit any good shots at all over the last few holes. Back nine could have been even worse except for a couple nice putts. But, the putt on 18 looked like he was so nervous he couldn't make a decent effort. What a shame. But, he played golf in Hawaii, took home a nice paycheck, and has a nice looking caddy, so it ain't all bad.

Not so good on my bets today either. Unless there is a lot of scoring in the next 10 minutes of the SF game, I will end up down $6 for the year.

Sorry we won't meet up in FLL VC.

Hasta manana

Lois R
September 17th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Bob, looks like it is going to be another strange football season.
The Pats losing at home?:rolleyes:...I guess they are human:D

I am trying to decide if I am going to keep my March cruise or
not.....supposed to be going 11 nights on Equinox for my birthday
but I keep thinking of trying one of the new ships (Sihlloutte or Reflection)
in January and then either going to Alaska or Bermuda in May......
If I keep the March cruise? May won't really be doable........
decisions, decisions......:eek:

CAC104
September 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Watching the Golf Channel last night turned out to be a real bummer....Our friend Bill at one point had a 5 shot lead, and then managed to bogey 5 of the last 8 holes to lose by a stroke to Willie Wood. My DH was devastated and couldn't get over how he must have had a case of nerves. Bill won 7 times on the PGA tour and has yet to win on the Senior tour. I guess nerves can hit you no matter how old and experienced you are:( He had played flawlessly until that last 9.

Bytheway, at one point they announced that his caddy was his girlfriend. He and long time wife divorced two years ago, which did upset me. Usually his son caddies for him and knows how to help him. But, Max was playing himself in the Oklahoma Open and so didn't make the trip this time.

CAC104
September 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Lois...you are lucky that you have such problems to decide which cruise you want to go on:D

I was the last poster a few days ago, but I will post again to keep this link from disappearing.........

I have run the gamut of teaching this week. Yesterday I was a special ed teacher for kindergarten and first grade, so this past week I had kids from high school down to kindergarten. I love seeing all the different ages. The little ones are so cute.

It is a nice day here so far and I hope it lasts. Our Association for Retarded Citizens runs a fund raiser where they sell little yellow ducks at $5.00 a piece. Then today they will dump all of them into a lake we have by a shopping center and the first ducks to cross the finish liine will win prizes. We bought a "quacker dozen," 13 ducks, so this afternoon after bowling we will go to see the ending of the race. They managed to sell 7000 of the ducks, so it is a great race.:D

Lois R
September 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Carol, I know I am lucky and thankful every day.

After living in the same place for over 22 years I am looking to move.
I went with a Realtor this morning and saw 3 places....nope, didn't
care for any of them.
I am going with her again tomorrow to see another place and this coming
week will look at some other properties. I am very tired of living here:eek:

Hope FSU beats Clemson tonight:)

jgnova
September 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hard to believe, but J and I are following the Nationals and enjoying having the baseball games available now that we have replaced the TV antenna with FIOS cable. We really have always been a non-sports household, but they're fun to watch. And I can watch international soccer, also. (No, not American football -- don't much like that.) I've also been enjoying some of the UK programs (on public TV) when I've gotten plenty done for the day and am relaxing with my afternoon tea.

I'm still knitting a lot and using the public library and free downloads on my Kindle. I seem to find an author I like and then read everything I can find by that person. Sometimes it works, other times I don't enjoy the other books as much as the one that led me to the author.

J is taking another course in his Ph.D. program this semester, as he has been for the past few years and probably one or two more years to come. And working fulltime, of course. New boss settling in, which adds to the stress level a bit.

I have a friend with a project on Kickstarter. For those who don't know about it, it's a way to have people (friends, naturally, but mostly strangers) provide financial backing and get benefits from your being able to complete some kind of project. Hers is to print frameable notecards and postcards from her watercolors of birds and nests. You can see it here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87722640/out-of-the-nest-a-card-project) . I'm hoping she gets funded because the paintings are really good. She won't get much, if any, profit from this, but the major benefit will be to get her work produced. I also found another interesting project to fund -- an engineering development game (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16029337/goldieblox-the-engineering-toy-for-girls) aimed at girls (like my great niece) -- and it has just gotten fully funded! These are all or nothing; if the dollar target is not met, there's no funding at all. Interesting program, anyhow.

Not much else going on here.

S

CAC104
September 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Lois...What is making you not like where you are livinig now? Are you interested in buying a house, or are you looking at other condos? I can't get over how prices have changed since we bought our condo in 2004. We had cash, and if I still had that cash, for what we paid for our condo I could now have a house with three bedrooms and a pool in my sister-in-law's gated development.:eek:

Susan...I had never heard of that kickstarted program. I must ask Kim if she knew about this. It might have helped her out a lot to get funded for her business.

It is exciting in this area with the Nationals going to be in the playoffs. I believe they said this will be the first time since the 1930s. They have some really good players that are really trying hard.

I love football being back on TV. I just hope that more of my teams win this week. Last week was a real disappointment.

Lois R
September 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hi folks,

Susan, good to hear from you again!:)

Carol, hard to explain it all on here but I haven't liked it here in a
long time. I just don't talk about it much. I am looking for another
condo (I am not a yard girl). The complex I live is not "horrible"
but I am very tired of it. Example....these used to be apts years
and years ago (they are VERY OLD) and the acoustics are terrible.
It would be nice to come home and not hear neighbors all over......
And I would like to find a place without an upstairs neighbor........
I didn't want a townhouse but I might decide on that....I really wanted
1 level but with a townhome? No neighbors upstairs.

And some other things..........I am just not happy here anymore.

wvufan
September 23rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Howdy

Wow, I meant to post several times in the last few days but somehow didn't do as planned:o.

Lois, hope you find the right place. At least you have the luxury of having a place to live while you're looking. Still debating the March cruise?

Carol, friends of ours from NJ bought a second home in the keys around 2005-needless to say the property is not worth anything near what they paid for it. But, as he told me yesterday, he didn't buy it for an investment. They love escaping several times a year so in that sense he got what he paid for. Does Kim have anything planned yet?

Hoping the Nationals do well-would love to see them v my Yankees. For the first time, kids are hearing the name Walter Johnson, who is one of the all time greats.

Susan, I do the same thing with authors. A couple months ago someone gave me book by Preston and Child, so am going through some of theirs now.

WVU got an uninspired win yesterday, but I got home in time to see some great games. Congrats to FSU. Unless one of them loses, though, they won't pass Alabama or Oregon and those two will be in the BCS.

Well, back to the Yankees, golf, and football.

Y'all have a great week!

wvufan
September 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
The Ryder Cup-let the games begin!

Already there is a controversy between Furyk and McDowell on relief from a sprinkler.

Will watch all of it today and Sunday. Off to Morgantown tomorrow for football.

Have a great weekend!

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

CAC104
September 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Bob...enjoy your game tomorrow. I love watching the Ryder Cup and hope it will be a good match up and down to the wire for the win.

Lois....Any ideas on where you want to move to?

Nothing much happening here.

Lois R
September 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hi ya'll.....

Bob, looks like we have had a good day at The Ryder Cup:D

Carol, I am staying here in Jacksonville......and staying on the
side of town I have always lived...perhaps a bit further out but
there are many condo complexes nowadays. I am going again with
the realtor tomorrow.

CAC104
September 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Lois...Are you looking for any new amenities for your new condo? How large a place are you looking for?

The Ryder Cup is really rocking this morning. I am surprised by all the noise and cheering during the matches....Much different than a regular tournament.

Today I am off to take Kevin bowling.

Lois R
September 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hi....just home from being out all morning. I saw 5 more places.
2 of them I liked more than any others I have seen so far.......
I need to go back to one again tomorrow and see if my living
room furniture will fit properly....have to take some measurements.

Carol, anything I look at at will have more updated ammenties
than I have right now. My complex used to be apts in the late
60s/early 70s....my kitchen is teeney:eek:...my living room/dining room
are good size.
The places I have looked at all have larger kitchens (nice).

Go USA:D

Lois R
September 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Well, I went to see a really nice place yesterday and my sis and bil
went back with me today (and the realtor too)...I was going to
make an offer and can you believe this...by the time she got home
and went to put in the paperwork someone else already had a
contract on it:eek::rolleyes:......guess it was not meant to be that one:(

I will keep looking.......

And I thought the USA was going to win the Ryder Cup...that is what
I get for thinking:rolleyes:

CAC104
October 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Lois...I am sorry that the sale fell through for you. But, if you liked it have the realtor keep an eye on it because a lot of deals fall through because the buyers can't get the loan approved. So, unless they paid all cash the condo might be available again.

Good luck in finding what you like. I know what you mean about apartments that were converted. They never have all the amenities that the units that are buit to be sold have.

The Ryder Club loss by the USA was a shocker after they went into the last day with a 4 point lead. The European team said they were devoting this match to the memory of Sevi Ballesteros, a pro from Spain who died of a brain tumor, and it seemed as if Sevi was giving them the edge in the last day matches.

Lois R
October 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hi Carol, I know who Seve is.....I have followed sports since I am old
enough to walk;)

Hey Bob, wow....you have some kind of QB:)......the fans around here?
They are saying get rid of Gene Smith for Gino........
The Jaguars are probably the worst team in the NFL now.......

tropicalsunset
October 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just checking in to say Hello to all..

Lois: good luck on your condo hunt.!!.. Joe and Jess are improving their condo hoping to sell next year and buy a house... May the market be with you!! ;)

I lost my job the first week of Aug... My boss called me at home while I was on vacation :confused: and told me they were letting me go... :eek: he found an excuse but I think it was a cost cutting move....
I am taking the time to rethink my next move... oh joy..

I am taking the time to week things out around here and get reorganized...we are replacing our front door with one a little more efficient..

Dave is doing well... we get back into our ballroom classes this Sunday with Rhumba... they break over the summer and we really get out of practice!!

Fall is in full swing here... colors are at 30%... and temps are getting cooler.. I get my granddog a couple afternoons a week and we play outside... she is soo sweet... I love the visitation thing!!!

Hello to all... missing some folks ... I do lurk from time to time...

CAC104
October 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Trop...condolences to you on your job loss. That was pretty tacky of the boss to let you go over the phone, and while you were on vacation no less. This seems to be happening a lot. Do you think you will be able to find a similar job? I don't remember all the facts about my on line friends, but weren't you working for a dentist?

Lois R
October 2nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hi Lorraine:) so good to hear from you...so sorry about your job.
Your boss let you go while you were on vacation?:eek:...boy, how
rude is that:(..........
Hopefully you will find something without having to wait too long.

I will keep looking for a place. Hope Joe and Jess are doing well:)

Glad you are well and Dave too!

Don't wait so long to stop by next time;):)

wvufan
October 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Howdy

TS, always good to hear from you. Hope the job situation works out better for you in the long run. A pox on your former boss! Seems like you are making the most of your hiatus.

Lois, I used to sell real estate and know very well it aint' over till closing. Hope you end up with a place you like even better. Yes, Geno is quite a QB and I hope he does well in the pros. Interestingly, he had scholly offers in art

Gotta give the Euros credit. Seems like Seve was their 13th man.

How is Kent now that his treatment is over? Will he be able to resume golf, etc?

Am enjoying the Yankees tonight-we are up 5-1 and the Rays are up 2 zip.

Hasta luego

CAC104
October 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM
The treatment they had Kent on was a complete disaster. It made him worse and his pulmonologist here is very mad at U of Pitt. He is having Kent go back to INOVA Virgina medical center to get back in their lung program. He has an appointment tomorrow.

CAC104
October 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
DH is off to INOVA hospital center to see about qualifying for a lung transplant this morning. He didn't want any of us to go with him. I am off to an elementary sub job later this morning.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend planned.

wvufan
October 5th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Wow. Kent has frequently been in my prayers, and I was so hopeful the recent strategy would be successful. Please let him know that we will continue to keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Will spend the weekend watching sports. WVU v Texas Saturday night, plus lots of other football and baseball games.

Lois, hope you have a new place soon.

VC, how do they do the ashes ceremony? I think it is a wonderful idea and am sure Rod will be honored.

Nova, good luck to the Nationals.

Lois is up next on cruises, and then us I think. Carol, don't you also have a short one soon?

TS, I will be flying the Yankee flag this weekend!

Dan, every Friday I play golf with a good friend who is a Phillies fan. I have been wearing Yankee garb every week and teasing him. Bet Cliff Lee wishes he had gone to Gotham.

Y'all have a great weekend

Lois R
October 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Carol, sending you and Kent my best thoughts too. Sorry things
got worse and hoping he will feel better soon.

Bob, this weekend really does have some good games:D

In less than 1/2 hour The Braves host the Cards.......I can't
believe Chipper has been around for 19 years:eek:

Yes, I leave for San Juan 5 weeks from today. I have been so
involved in the house hunting I didn't even realize it is getting
close to the cruise. I was going to upgrade to a balcony but
at this point I will just stay with my window cabin.

Have a good weekend ya'll:)

venicecruiser
October 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Bob - The ships navigator decides the day and time for scattering the ashes. At the appointed time, someone from Guest Services will go with me to deck 7. The rear of that deck will be closed off until after the scattering, so only the 2 of us will be at the rear of the deck. I can either then open the container and let the ashes fly or I can use a biodegradable urn and the urn will go overboard into the water. It sinks in about 3-5 minutes and disintegrates once it rests on the ocean bottom. I'm doing the biodegradable urn. Princess has told me that I can take all the time I want before they re-open the deck. I think putting Rod's ashes into the Caribbean will be difficult emotionally, but I know its what he wanted and he did love that area....

CAC - Hope Kent gets some good news....

Lois - Happy house hunting.........

VC

CAC104
October 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
VC...That sounds like a lovely ceremony. I am sure it will be difficult for you, but it is nice you can follow his wishes.

I have been wondering about your friend Caroline's husband who had the lung transplant a few years back. Is he still alive? I know he wasn't too happy after he had it done.

Kent met the head of the lung disease department over at INOVA Fairfax hospital center and the doctor there told him without a lung transplant he might only have a year left. So, they have started him down the transplant road which means oodles of tests to see if he would be a candidate for transplanting. With Kent always being such an athlete and never smoking or drinking, this is not the old age we expected for him. Just goes to show you just never know what tomorrow will bring.

Lois R
October 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hi folks, Carol, sending you all good thoughts......that must have
been quite a shock:eek:

Hi Claudia, hopefully this will be part of the healing process and also
sending you good thoughts.

bug_dan
October 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Bob,

I'm not really a diehard Phillies fan although our Elk's lodge has a lot of them and usually if they are on TV when we're in the Lodge, I get to watch them. Really thought Charlie Manuel(hey, he was born in WV) would be leaving after this year. Sounds like he will be back.

jgnova
October 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
We're just back from my high school class' 50th reunion. Good turnout, including some from quite a distance (e.g., Switzerland, California, Arizona, etc.).

VC, it sounds as if Princess has that well planned for you. I'm sure it will be difficult but good that his ashes will be where he wanted. My mother wanted her ashes scattered on their front acre where she always had a garden. I have discovered since that it's not legal in this state, but .... oh well. She's out there.

Carol, I hope Kent is feeling better now that he's off the medication that made him worse. That was a cutting edge test, wasn't it? Sigh. Perhaps INOVA's transplant program will work out. I'm glad he's otherwise been in good condition; that will be really helpful in the long run.

Theatre tix tomorrow afternoon -- Taming of the Shrew -- looking forward to how this troupe does that. We've seen them before and they do wonderful Shakespeare.

S

CAC104
October 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Susan...What theater is having The Taming of the Shrew? Last week I went via Metro into DC to the Wooly Mamouth Theater to see a crazy play delving into the world of wrestling. It wasn't to my liking and the use of the f word was part of every speech just about. I much prefer the musicals I go to see in Florida opposed to these raw dramatic plays they have in the smaller theaters.

The weather sure has turned chilly here in MD and yesterday we had nasty rain on and off all day. I think the damp weather is causing my shoulder to hurt. It didn't bother me at all for a long time and yesterday I started to ache down my left side from the shoulder down. Of course right away I worried about symptoms of heart problems, but I checked out my oxygen and heart rates with Kent's little gadget and everything registers normal, so I am sure it is my shoulder.

Kent is over at INOVA Fairfax medical center again today for more tests. This entire month has tests for him scheduled. It looks like we may not be able to spend much time down in Florida this winter:(

jgnova
October 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Carol, it was at GMU's Center for the Arts. Only the one performance. This troupe (Aquila Theatre) is from NYC and comes twice a year. Their next visit will be January 18 for Cyrano de Bergerac. http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/month/2013/1/

I agree that experiences like the one you described are not to my taste either. Fortunately, this troupe does excellent Shakespeare. We really have enjoyed them every time we've seen them. Six performers for all the roles yesterday. :) I wonder if they perform anywhere closer to you? Here's their touring schedule (http://aquilatheatre.com/touring/).

S

tropicalsunset
October 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have been using my time off to go through mountains of "stuff" and discard and or organize.. amongst this is our cruising pictures and memorabilia... found one sailing RCL does not have us credited for in 1998... but I do not have the booking number and my TA from them is retired and living somewhere around SAvannah.....

yes, Carol.. I worked for a Dentist.. I've also done orthodontic Assisting.. and went to college in Boston for retailing... I could tell you stories but I will refrain and probably just say.... amongst other things.. I think my boss is very opinionated politically is an avid gun/NRA fan... I am not charged up on these issues and would try to avoid.. but I think this really infuriated him about me.. PEACE, MON!! ;) so in the end.. I think I may find a place that is more professional... or maybe do something else...

we are cruising this month.. my termination came one week after we made final payment and we ended up buying the ins the day I was fired.== We are both looking forward to the break.. its been quite a year ... with my surgery.. my Dad's passing and now being termed!!

but my boys are doing great and at this point ... I truly can say I feel lucky and very happy!!

Friends of ours we met on the Panama Canal sailing a few years back live in the DC area.. they come up in the summer to the Summer Theatre up here in the Berkshires of MA... they get a time share ... and the last two years we have gone up to join them for a few days... we are not big theater goers.. but we have seen some great talent... and I do like the modern plays that deal with issues... not so much too much profanity merely for shock value (I raised my teens!<<<) we had just come back from our stay with them when my boss made the phone call....

Carol... sending my love to you and Kent as he struggles with his health... I was sooo hoping there would be treatment for him that would work without the transplant... Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Dan ... Our Elks lodge has its first femal ER this year.. the last few years have been struggling with the leadership down there.. and we don't go down as much as we used to... Hopefully ... it'll come back around.

VC; much strength to you as you carry out Rod's wishes...It sounds like the cruise line is very sensitive to this ..

We are amidst leaf season up here...oh joy... beautiful but the Chiropractor gets very busy!!

I see my Endochrinologist tomorrow on a follow up... had a battery of blood work last week... so she will go over my med... and all the levels..its been a long road but doing much better these days.

Bob.. you cruising soon... give my love to Phyllis...

Our local Cable provider has dropped Fox network... due to fees... this has been over a month... many people are upset over this... especially DAVE.. but we cannot get DISH at our house being a ranch house with lots of trees around... perhaps there will be a little more dancing at Eagle Ridge...:D

Anyone hear from Northbound???

Lorraine

bug_dan
October 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Lorraine,

We also have our first female ER this year. She's really doing a good job, but our problems are typical of many Elk Lodges, declining membership, old building with high maintenance and an aging membership.

Bob,
Looks like the Yankees are on the way:) Our local Atlantic League team, The Lancaster Barnstormers, won the regular season championship with a record number of wins, but lost the championship game to Long Island. The team is quite popular, averaging 4 to 5 thousand a game, but I've never been to a game since June doesn't like baseball.

June goes in for Cataract surgery on Nov 1, her vision is really deteriorating, but the surgery should help. Still doesn't look like we'll ever cruise again as she cannot stand unassisted. We did have PT for her, but that was not much help at all. She still gets around the house with a walker and a wheel chair when we go out.

CAC104
October 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Lorraine....Good to hear from you and I am happy that you are taking the news of the job termination so well. I still think the boss is an A$$hole for ruining your vacation. I always loved the stories about how much fun your Elks lodge was, and I hope they can revamp and get going again. It is nice to know your boys are all doing well.

Dan, that is a shame about your wife. I am iin a similar situation with my DH in that he doesn't think he will ever be able to cruise again. The scary thing is how many respiratory illness seem to be passed around a cruise ship.

Today I pretended to be a H.S. English teacher, and it was a really easy job. Then I came home and brought in all my potted plants from outside because we are supposed to go below freezing tonight.:eek:

Lois R
October 12th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi ya'll, well I am going to see 4 or 5 more places tomorrow. Maybe
one of them will be "THE ONE"..........

Bob, just watched the Yankees....CC looked really good........

I hope the Nats beat the Cards tonight.

Lois R
October 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi friends:) Well, I made an offer on a new place today.......will
let you know what happens.:eek:.......

CAC104
October 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Bob...that sure was a shame that Jeter broke his ankle in the Yankee game. Not a very good situation for the Yankees, and I hope it will not end his career.

I posted the following over on the Florida board, but figured I would just copy and paste it here as well......

Lois...I hope you are able to get the new condo that you like for the price you want to pay.

Tomorrow I have to take my DH Kent to the hospital for a heart catherization. He has to pass this before he can be put on the lung transplant list. If this one is okay, then they do a whole lot of other tests and keep going one step at a time.

Lois R
October 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hi....Carol, send Kent my best and hope all goes well:)

venicecruiser
October 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM
CAC - Wishing Kent and you the best. Heart cath isn't bad - I had one a couple years ago..........

VC

CAC104
October 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
We are home right on schedule. Everything went well and the doctor said that Kent's heart is that of an athlete and had no blockage, pressures were normal and the muscle was strong. This doctor was very nice and was a golfer, so he was telling us that he had an eagle playing golf yesterday. Whenever we go to doctors that like to play golf, they are always impressed that Kent is a professional golfer. What amazes all the medical people is that Kent appears to be in really great shape and everything except the lungs are really tip top. No one can figure out why his lungs are doing so badly. (He never smoked in his life, and grew up in the country with no air pollution)

jgnova
October 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Carol, given the options, this is really good news. I have never figured out why one thing can go kaflooey (technical term) while everything else works just fine.
S

Lois R
October 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Carol, glad everything is ok:)

The sale fell through:rolleyes: they decided to rent it:eek: would have been
nice if they had told us that:mad:......wouldn't have wasted 4 hours
in the realtor's office yesterday......but I did find out more info today
and there is an active leak in the roof so better I did not get it.

I saw another place that is very nice and put an offer in for it......
will let you know what happens.

wvufan
October 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Howdy

Glad it is looking optimal for Kent. Wouldn't it be great if you could have a celebratory cruise next year!

Lois, looks like you had some good luck in the other place not working out! Sooner or later, you will find the right home.

Nova, have you ever heard the Virginia Choral Society? One of my son's best life long friends from here is in it.

VC, that sounds like Princess is really doing all they can to make the ceremony special. We will be with you in spirit.

Dan, I betcha June will be thrilled with the cataract surgery. Any chance she would go on a cruise using a mobility cart or wheelchair?

TS, no Fox!!!!! That sucks. Hope your bloodwork was all fine. I was thinking about NB the other day too.

Well, am bummed about the Bombers. They got some bad calls the last few games, but their offense is as bad as WVU's defense :D. Maybe they will erupt agains Verlander.

Signed up for ziplining with Treetop in St. Lucia. We have never done that, and they get rave reviews from TripAdvisor.

Hasta luego

wvufan
October 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Watching the Yankees on one tv and the debates on the other. The pitchers are throwing fastballs and curves, but the folks at the debates are tossing up marshmallows :D. Too many of the Qs seem to be planted or designed to favor one candidate or the other.

Anyway, Nova, I just learned that my friend has been accepted to sing with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra chorus!

Y'all may remember that earlier this year we trapped 6 raccoons. Well, last night I caught my first oppossum!

Hasta luego

CAC104
October 16th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Bob...I am sure that a lot of people in WVA would call that possum dinner:D....at least in Kentucky I know they made possum stew:eek:

wvufan
October 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Andrew Zimmerman knows good food!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=roadkill+cook+off+marlinton+wv&qpvt=roadkill+cook+off+marlinton+wv&FORM=IGRE

CAC104
October 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
In Kentucky they used to (and probably still do) make up a stew called Burgoo using all kinds of game kill, but mostly made with squirrel and rabbit. The recipes were handed down from times when the people were just starting to settle down in KY and had to depend on the game to survive. Kent's grandmother had a friend who made up some, but it had a little squirrel and lots of chicken. I tried it and it didn't taste too bad, but I don't think there was much squirrel in it.

Then there was the joke: What do Kentuckians call road kill? Answer: Dinner:D

wvufan
October 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM
If there was a mess of blood and guts on the road, do you know how you could tell if it was a skunk or a lawyer that was hit? There would be skid marks if it was a skunk.

bug_dan
October 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Our Elk's lodge runs a Kentucky Derby Party on the day of the Derby and Burgoo stew is on the menu. I've offered to provide squirrels for it, but thankfully they did not accept the offer. :D

Bob,
June is unable to even stand without the aid of her walker and even with it, she has fallen. Luckily, she hasn't broken anything. I'm hoping her cataract surgery is successful, she has had some trouble identifying things. Just last night she saw a leaf on our garage floor and thought it was a piece of fish?? I had the surgery although mine was more due to eye pressures getting to high, I have Glaucoma. Since then, I can now read without glasses although still have to wear them to drive.:)

Lois R
October 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM
My offer was accepted for one of the places I saw on Saturday:D
Really nice place......3/2 and I will even have MY OWN GARAGE:D
I will probably be moving in over Thanksgiving weekend which is good
because we have that Friday off from work:)

CAC104
October 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Our Elk's lodge runs a Kentucky Derby Party on the day of the Derby and Burgoo stew is on the menu. I've offered to provide squirrels for it, but thankfully they did not accept the offer. :D
I think they just use chicken to make burgoo nowadays.
Bob,
June is unable to even stand without the aid of her walker and even with it, she has fallen. Luckily, she hasn't broken anything. I'm hoping her cataract surgery is successful, she has had some trouble identifying things. Just last night she saw a leaf on our garage floor and thought it was a piece of fish?? I had the surgery although mine was more due to eye pressures getting to high, I have Glaucoma. Since then, I can now read without glasses although still have to wear them to drive.:)
Poor June. This is really a shame and I hope she doesn't have any major falls. Hopefully the eye surgery might help her to see better and that might give her better balance.
My offer was accepted for one of the places I saw on Saturday:D
Really nice place......3/2 and I will even have MY OWN GARAGE:D
I will probably be moving in over Thanksgiving weekend which is good
because we have that Friday off from work:)
I hope you will have movers to move the heavy stuff and not try to lift anything too heavy. I slipped one of my discs out years ago when we moved from KY to IN. I swore never again would I be lifting furniture. I am sure we would love to see pictures of the new place.

Lois R
October 17th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Poor June. This is really a shame and I hope she doesn't have any major falls. Hopefully the eye surgery might help her to see better and that might give her better balance.

I hope you will have movers to move the heavy stuff and not try to lift anything too heavy. I slipped one of my discs out years ago when we moved from KY to IN. I swore never again would I be lifting furniture. I am sure we would love to see pictures of the new place.

Hi Carol:) oh yes, I am having regular movers do everything:)
I would never lift furniture:eek: I am paying a moving company to
do it.

CAC104
October 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Carol:) oh yes, I am having regular movers do everything:)
I would never lift furniture:eek: I am paying a moving company to
do it.
Good thinking! Have you booked anyone yet? I was wondering if it will be hard to find someone that will want to work the day after Thanksgiving.

Lois R
October 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Good thinking! Have you booked anyone yet? I was wondering if it will be hard to find someone that will want to work the day after Thanksgiving.

I just found out today so no, I haven't called anyone yet.
I don't close till next month. I will make some calls over the next
few days. I would think in these times movers would be more than
willing to work.

tropicalsunset
October 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Congrats LOIS.... now do you have to find a buyer for your place??? that can be nerve racking!! I would think most young guys will work ...plus it is the end of the month.. .and I would think movers are busy then...

We are going to MAINE for Thanksgiving to see my FIL... now that Brian is working at YALE... he will not join us as he only has Thursday off...

Dan... our Elks does a GAME night... usually in March that has rabbit, and various Game on the menu.. mostly men attend but when we were waiting tables our team often served that night..

Got good news from the Endo DR... I am regulated and now on a 6 mo recall Yahoo!!

Dave says he can watch football in Spanish on one of the remote Cable stations...lets see if he is that desparate... :rolleyes:

MY DIL has me going to some of the wineries here in CT.. I am not really a wine drinker but it has been nice visiting and doing the tastings... JOE is having Jessicas BD party at a winery in Wallingford near where they were married ... on this SAT.. hoping for nice weather..

tropicalsunset
October 18th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Lois... I see you are on Summit in NOV...is this move going to affect your cruise plans.

Lois R
October 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Lorraine:) I am still going on my cruise:) closing when I get home.
And yes, I need to sell my place.

Just home for lunch...will post again this evening and will post a link
so you can see some photos:)

CAC104
October 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Good news Lorraine about the endo report!

It sounds like a Maine trip for Thanksgiving will be fun, but a little chilly. Do they have snow up there by then?

I am thinking that we will probably be having Thanksgiving and Christmas here in Maryland instead of Florida this year. That means I will be cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving for the first time in 7 years. We usually spend it with our Florida family and I always bring the vegetables for the Thanksgiving dinner, and sis in law makes the turkey.

Lois R
October 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hi...Carol, I called about 5 movers yesterday and everyone is working
after Thanksgiving.

Hey Bob, what happened to The Yankees?:eek::rolleyes:

jgnova
October 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Bob, here's their website (http://www.vachoralsociety.org/)
It looks as if they're based in Newport News, VA. There's a lot of music going on in that area, I think. All their performances this year seem to be in Newport News and Hampton.

S

wvufan
October 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Howdy

Glad for the good report TS! I wonder if Dave can put on English subtitles on the games. Can't imagine not having Fox. I am upset enough that we don't get MLB here. What does Brian do?

Yeah Lois! How far will you be from work? Do you have a lot of stuff to move? Anyone at work or other friends with a pickup truck? Are you moving your appliances too or leaving them?

Carol, is Kim still there-anything new going on for her? Sorry we will miss you when we are in Florida.

My Yankees simply stunk. But, at least they won their division. There will be some new faces next year-including a new hitting coach ;). Pretty sure Swisher will be gone. He is from here and I know his dad (who used to be a major league catcher).

Nova, hope Washington has another good year next year-hopefully Strasberg can play a full season.

Helene, if you look in here, would love to hear from you. You too NB and Sharon.

Thanksgiving will be at Phyl's dad's. There is something like 45 in the family, and maybe 40 will make it. Our kid and family are heading back Friday morning, so will be a short visit with them. We will head toward Florida on the following Tuesday. I don't think the kids are coming in for Christmas either.

Off to Morgantown tomorrow. Will spend the night with a cousin and get back home around noon Sunday.

Hasta luego

Lois R
October 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Hi Bob:) moving a bit further away and no the appliances are not
going with me. The new place has a MUCH nicer fridge, microwave,
washer and dryer:) I am hiring a mover who was highly recommended
by some of the people who work in our HQ building. I am happy with
my decision. The owner gave me a good price.

Here is a link to the new place with photos.
http://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/mainmenu.cgi?cmd=url+other/run_public_link.html&public_link_tech_id=x3lpnhtsbxm&s=14&id=1&cid=1

wvufan
October 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Wow, Lois, that looks GREAT!

Nova, our friend is in the front row of that photo a couple people to the right of center. He has spina bifida. Our son was a good friend of his all through high school and helped him move to the Fort Meade area to live with his sister. He eventually went throught college and is now a senior something or other for Lockheed. While there, our kid found a job with Chesapeake Sprinkler and that started him on his career path. He met a girl from Highland Park who was visiting a neighbor, fell in love, and decided to move to Joisey. He was offered a couple jobs sight unseen and took one with a subsidiary of Tyco (Simplex Grinnell). All because he helped a friend move.

Let's go Mountaineers!

CAC104
October 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Lois...your new place looks amazing, and it was a fantastic price. With three bedrooms and that lovely pool, you can have us all come and visit you sometime:D;)

When we bought our two bedroom, two bath condo in 2004, we paid 165K and got a whole lot less house than what you just got. It really makes me sad that the prices were so high back when we were looking to buy. But, at least we had all those good years to enjoy it, because I don't know if Kent is going to be able to enjoy Florida anymore, so if we had been looking now I doubt if we would have bought anything:(

wvufan
October 21st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Howdy

Not a good week sports wise-both my Yankees and Mountaineers got embarassed! But, had a nice overnight visit with my cousin, so not all bad. Plus, it was a pretty drive-particularly today with the sun out and behind us. Leaves are a little past peak, but still nice.

Carol, just for the heck of it I looked up golf course property in Port St. Lucie, and quickly found this:

http://www.pgavillage-homes.com/?pgcnfID=103023

Prices sure have fallen. But, you have a nice place and have gotten a lot of good use, so I think it was a good value in that sense. I pray that Kent will be able to go back down and enjoy golfing again. What is the timetable for his treatment?

Heckuva last couple minutes in the Skins/Giants game. I lost money on that one.

Y"all have a great week!

CAC104
October 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Bob...yes, the prices are now dirt cheap. We think ours might be worth a bit more due to the location of the unit being convenient to the pool and the mini golf, but we will probably just keep using it for a long time.

As for a timetable...He is just about done with the testing, but he still needs the colonoscopy. He has an appointment with that doc tomorrow morning. Then he has to have a series of immunizations and go to a bunch of pulmonary rehab classes. Once everything is gathered it is presented to the transplant committee and they decide if he goes on the list or not. After that you just sit and wait. The pulmonary classes are booked until 11/27 and he is booked in that one. He has to have the 3 shot hepatitis series and hasn't started that since he just got the flu and pnemonia shots. So, no telling how long this all is going to take.

jgnova
October 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Well, darn. The link wouldn't work when I tried last night, Lois. But I'm sure you are going to be happier. I know you've had to do a lot of maintenance work on your current place.

Bob, I noticed the men in the front row in that photo, which is (interestingly) unusual. Your explanation clarifies that one!

We are having the usual very busy arts performances autumn. Why is it that October/November has so many that we want? This past weekend we went to community theatre on Saturday evening (You Can't Take It With You) -- nice performance and we both enjoyed it. Sunday afternoon was The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble, with a pre-concert info session for a small group and dinner afterwards (theoretically, English food, but really good, actually -- Mulligatawny soup for the India connection, salad, potatoes for the Irish connection I guess, asparagus torte of some sort for some unknown reason, and pork loin which I enjoyed and Jonathan finally got to understand why their menus don't usually work for me since he doesn't enjoy pork for some unknown reason -- yes, he eats bacon and scrapple, so why not.... oh well, now he knows how I feel when they have crab stuffed fish or some such) and then bread pudding for umm pudding, isn't it? The concert itself was excellent. :D

What lovely weather we've had. I've been outside doing some leaf clean up just because it's so nice. The lawn folks don't do much with the leaves until late in the year. They mow the front and collect that, but nothing in the back, which they don't mow.

We also had a bit of a disconnect re Thanksgiving. My father announced to us on Saturday that he was going to Florida (to visit my son and family). However, he had talked to my sister in NH and arranged that she would be coming down with her husband and they would cook Thanksgiving dinner at his house and others of us will be coming over with pieces of dinner. I don't think he's been on an airplane in 30 years -- no idea how to pack or negotiate security, etc., and his hearing is bad so he wouldn't understand people talking to him or PA announcements. After much discussion with my sister and others, my father will be staying here (I think) and go to Miami in the winter. I told my son that he will have to come get him, help him pack, etc. He doesn't understand the limitations. I guess this visit will make it quite clear. Also that he needs to coordinate so others are aware of plans since my father forgets what he's said and who's been on the phone when he hangs up. Sigh. Well, so that's the latest. :cool:

Just got the third set of knee injections so my knee isn't hurting as it was before. The second set lasted about a month, maybe two months, extra, I think. He says we put off a replacement until the injections don't work. Fine with me.

No cruise plans for the moment. Did I tell you all that Princess just quietly returned our whatever they call the down payment on a future cruise? No advance notice that it was about to expire and don't we want to book a cruise, just appeared as a credit on the credit card bill. That's not how I would do that marketing, I guess. But Jonathan's taking a fairly demanding course this semester and has just a few more courses to go before it's all dissertation research time. He's still mumbling about retirement but I told him he can't retire unless he has something he plans to do. He's not coming home to hang out -- if I have any control over it, that is. :rolleyes:

Lois R
October 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi Susan:) I have spoken with my realtor again and I don't know
why the photo/link keeps going away:mad:.......

Hope Thanksgiving will go smoothly with your dad. I know what
it is like:eek:...........

CAC104
October 24th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Susan...sounds like you are having a good time with the theater and music events. It is nice that you Jonathan like the same things. I couldn never get Kent to do anything cultural. If it wasn't golf or another sport, he didn't want to go.

Do you think your Dad is starting to suffer from dementia? Maybe you could take him to Florida and get to see the grandsons while helping out your Dad. Just think, 4 generations all together:)

Kevin's special needs club is having a bonfire and marshmellow roasting party tonight. They are going to have pizza and then make s'mores for the dessert. I will be taking him and staying. Most of my friends now are parents of a child with a handicap. Kevin is 31 and we have known a lot of the families since he was 2, so we all go back a long way together.

wvufan
October 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Howdy

Nova, you said something I had never heard before-you used "really good" and "English food" in the same sentence :eek:. Glad you had a good time.

Sounds like a heckuva lot of hoops for Kent to jump through, but I understand why the steps are necessary.

Better enjoy the cookout and marshmallows while you can-serious weather on the way for the east. One meteorologist said it could be a Nor'easter on steroids. TS, projections are it heading right at you. Better go to the wine store before it hits.

31-seems like Kevin is getting older every year! We'll miss not seeing you in Florida.

Lois, saw some pics of bad weather down there too. Hope no harm done.

Early voting is heavy here-gonna be a busy day at the polls. Good-gets boring for us poll workers when it is slow.

Am reading "Winter of the World" the second of Follett's new trilogy. He's my fave author.

Hasta luego

Lois R
October 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hi:) I may have an offer on my place which would be wonderful...when
I have more news I will let you know.

Bob....the weather is good here:D......no problems here in North
Florida. From what I have seen the NE part of the country is going
to get REALLY WET:eek:
We may get rain tomorrow but then? It is going to coool down!

jgnova
October 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Carol, I wouldn't travel with my father. He has a very hard time hearing me even when it's quiet. I've told my son he would have to come get him and bring him home. He can hear my son's voice. (Female voices are not in a good range for him.) And it's a different relationship. There is clearly some beginning dementia and has been for a while. Certainly he doesn't recall what has happened or been discussed shortly after the event. E.g., he didn't remember having that hour-long discussion with my sister about Thanksgiving -- or that we discussed it with him Saturday -- just after each of these events. On Monday (after talking to me on Saturday and then my sister later that day), he tried to go to the airport to buy a plane ticket to Florida; luckily, there was too much traffic so he went back home. My mother obviously was his memory device! Also, we are ensuring that no female is alone with him for more than a short time since he has acted inappropriately with some of us. My younger sister is ok visiting him on her own, for some reason, but again, it's a different relationship and she's physically stronger than my other sister or I am so she's less concerned about being able to manage things if they get out of hand.

And yes, both J and I have always enjoyed classical music concerts and plays and such. That's part of what got us together, I think.

Bob, the organizer phrased it more or less as a really good menu that was something like British food. Maybe the ideas were there. Most people have found that in private homes, the food has been fine. Anyhow, that was the menu and it actually was very good (so far as I was concerned). Probably the catering company has never been to England? :rolleyes:

Trops, I am still getting over being astounded that you were informed of the job situation by phone (that's one strike) and when you were on vacation (strike two). That is just amazing to me. It really sounds as if you are better off without having to be subjected to their personal opinions and such, but that's totally no excuse for mishandling the event so totally. I hope you are somewhat recovered from that and have found something better??? And the endo news is excellent, so that is really positive.

Lois, good news that there might be an offer on your current place. Things seem to be working out nicely.

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about June's health. I am sure she is frustrated and depressed. Is that recognized and is she getting any treatment for that aspect of things? Are you getting enough support?

Dinner time.

S

Lois R
October 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi ya'll....well, my closing date on the new place has been moved up:D
closing on it Tuesday afternoon:) but I won't move in until Nov 18th
(the day after I get back from my cruise).
So over the next 2 weeks I will move quite a bit of stuff on my own
and the big stuff? The mover will do it. ( I leave for San Juan on
Nov 9th).
I am having new flooring put in.....new carpet in the bedrooms and
laminate (looks like wood) in the front foyer, living room/dining room.
The carpet guy is going to do it within 2 days after I close but another
person does the flooring and he will do that while I am on my cruise.
Will be easier to do it all empty and my sister will be here to assist
while I am away.
Once the carpet is in? I can move stuff and even if it is stuff for the
living room? I can leave it in the bedroom.....this new place has 3
bedrooms:)

No news on the sale of my place:rolleyes:.....the one offer? Way too low
and we countered it but the person said no......:rolleyes:

Hope everyone stays safe up north......looks like the warm waters
of Sandy and the cold front are going to collide..........

CAC104
October 26th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Susan...It sure sounds like you are going to be having a problem with your Dad as time goes by and he starts getting worse. You might start to decide what the family can do when he really needs care.

Bob...What is the first book in the new trilogy? Yes, we will be missing seeing everyone in Florida also.

Lois...Hopefully you will find a buyer with an offer you feel you can accept.
We are in all the midst of the alarms about the storms approaching. But, in this area we never know whether to believe the forecasts or not. Usually when they hype everyone into a frenzy, then the storm misses us, and when we aren't warned, then we get the big ones.
Susan....Are you making any special plans for this?

I am concerned that we are going to lose power, and for Kent that means his oxygen machine won't be able to work. We don't have a generator because every other year we have been in Florida when they have lost power here in the winter snow storms. Our Electric company actually made a call to Kent, (a real person, not a recording) because he is on the list of persons with life support systems. They told him to be sure to make other arrangements in case we lose power. He had called his oxygen tank supplier and asked to have more tanks delivered and they said they would bring one out on Monday, but if we lose power they would bring more.

The other what "if" we have is what happens if there is no power to run the voting machines on Tuesday...they say there is battery power on the machines, but if the battery dies, all the votes cast will be lost. It all is going to be very interesting.....

bug_dan
October 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Bob,
Hear WVA is liable to get snow from this storm.:D Hope everyone can ride out the storm safely. We have a flash flood watch, luckily June and I aren't in any danger from flooding. Power outage is another matter as we have a well and without power we have no water.

Carol,
Maybe you could get a small generator with only enough power for the oxygen machine. Of course now is not the time to go shopping. Hope you don't lose power.

Lois,
With all you have going on right now, sounds like you'll need another cruise to recover:)

Susan,
Thanks for your concern about June. She really hasn't shown any signs of depression, but a lot of frustration over her "legs not working". She's been through a lot since 2005 with two hip fractures, breast cancer and Mastectomy and Parkinsons. In all that time I've never heard her complain or cry about her health problems.

Anyway hope everyone stays dry and safe:)

CAC104
October 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
It is ironic, I was just looking at generators at Costco earlier this week. It was before they started these warnings about the storm, and I had no idea that a storm was coming. I went home and Kent had said he was going to ask his buidler friend what size we probably needed. Then the news started, and all the generators were immediately snapped up.

By being on the life support system list, we are supposed to get priority service to restore power. But, i my neighborhood all of our power lines are underground, so it takes one of the major feed lines to go down, and despite not having overhead lines, we still lose our power. I told Kent that if this area is devastated and they predict no power for a while, I am going to put everyone in my mini van and drive to Florida. I can be there in 14 hours if the storm is going north of us and the sourthern I 95 is clear. Kent thought that was a rather drastic solution. He says we should just look for a hotel with power that is close.:rolleyes:

wvufan
October 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Good morning :).

Just a drizzle here. Will get worse before it gets better, but we don't expect any major even where we live-we had all we wanted when we were at ground zero in the June storm. In the meantime, our porch remodeling project is about half done. At least they got the roof up, but there is still concrete work, railings, gutter, etc to do. Spring?

Having experienced a several day power outage a few months ago, we found out that having a generator is not necessarily all you need-you have to have gasoline for it. One of the major problems was that the gas stations couldn't pump because they had no electric. There was one station that was open, with very long lines. People were getting in fights. They had one pump just for folks trying to fill containers for their generators. Luckily, our natural gas was not interrupted and we were able to cook on our stove plus we had our outdoor grill. All electric homes may also have some problems heating. On the plus side-and I heard this same story from others in other areas-neighbors came out of their houses, visited on porches, and socialized. Talk about retro!

I suspect that Kent could go to one of the local hospitals which would have emergency generators and hook up there. It would be a nuisance, but at least it would be doable.

Don't know how they would handle voting. Even if the machines worked, the facilities would not have power for lights etc. Our machines are wonderful-foolproof. There is a paper trail in the machine as well as the electronic record.

The first book in the new trilogy is Fall of Giants.

Lois, what an exciting month you have coming up! Hope all goes smoothly with the closing etc. How far away is it from your current home?

I'm still PO'd at Trop's old boss too. Let's all go up and bust his teeth. Hopefully, it will all turn out to be for the good. I remember I was bummed when my second wife left me-now I realize it was a huge blessing.

Dan, I have a very good friend and former bowling teammate who has had Parkinson's for several years. I know how frustrated she gets when her legs just won't cooperate. Therapy seems to help, but she still is unable to walk on her own. I also convinced her to get speech therapy which helps make her more understandable. June is very lucky to have you. And vice versa.

I think everyone we have talked to has or is making chili this weekend. Phyl mixes one pack of McCormich TexMex with one pack of their hot and makes a double batch.

Nova, do you or J play any instruments yourselves? I feel bad about your dad. Went through all that with my mom. You last post suggested he is still driving. I remember when we took away my mom's car. She could actually still operate the car OK, but she got in a minor accident (not sure to this day who was at fault) and she simply didn't know what to do as far as getting info, who to call, or any of that stuff. She was helpless and I can only imagine how traumatic that would have been. I think the other person drove off, so it was likely their fault. Anyway, that is one of the things that precipitated us moving her down here.

WVU was off yesterday so I enjoyed watching all the games here. I thought Notre Shame was a pretender, but they shut up all us doubters last night. Nobody deserved to win the GA/FL game-a comedy of errors.

VC, do you know others on your cruise?

Chili sounds good right now.

CAC104
October 28th, 2012, 05:02 PM
They have already announced that my county has closed schools for both Monday and Tuesday, so they are expecting it to be bad. If we lose power they probably won't have schools open until they can restore the power, so it could mean that schools will not open on Wed.

Believe it or not, but Kent is scheduled for a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I am going to be sure to call the doctor's office tomorrow to see if they will still do the procedure. Because of his lung problem, they are doing his in the actual Hospital in case of complications.

Figure if you don't hear from me, it means I don't have power:(

Bob...I hope you will be okay too. I think you may be getting some snow if the cold front comes through. Trop is going to have it the worst I think....Time will tell :rolleyes:

venicecruiser
October 29th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Bob and Carol - Hope you have no major problems from the storm!

VC

CAC104
October 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Things here are still okay. We are getting a lot of rain, but no wind right now. I keep praying that the storm will just stay out to sea and not get into land. They just said on the TV that this storm is stretching 1,000 miles wide:eek:

The doctor's office called and said that they were going to schedule Kent for next Tuesday, so that is good.

It went down to 46 degrees last night so we put the heat on to keep the house warm so that when we lose the power it will take longer for it to get cold inside.

They still aren't sure where the storm will come ashore.

bug_dan
October 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Carol,

Last I heard they are predicting Southern New Jersey and then it will move into central Pa before turning North. We're right in the path but the only water near us is a small stream and we're about 30-40 feet above that. We have some wind now, but it seems to be pretty high as our trees are not moving that much. Things will get worse I'm sure. Just heard an announcement that they are restricting the speed limit on Pa Turnpike to 45 mph and restricting some vehicles from using it. Schools here are closed today and tomorrow as well as the area colleges. Some businesses are closed as well.
We had a call from the Ophthalmologist's office to check with the hospital on Thursday when June's cataract surgery is scheduled. Possibility of them being on emergency power and then all surgery would be cancelled. Good Kent's test was cancelled, I sure wouldn't want to do that prep and then have to do it again. I don't have another one scheduled until I'm 80 and not so sure I want to go through the prep again:(

CAC104
October 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Dan...I hope the storm doesn't do you any damage. I am pretty sure that Bob is having wet snow. All of the news have shown inches in WVA and said it is bringing down the trees and power lines.

Lorraine is probably going to get hit hard.
So far, so good here :)

They have been predicting high winds were going to hit all afternoon, so about 3:30 I cooked baked potatoes, and a pecan pie. When the potatoes were baked I cooked hamburgers in my electric skillet, and broccoli on the stove. Then I wrapped things up in silver foil and left it all in a warm oven and told them to eat when they wanted. So far, kiddos ate, but I'm still not hungry. I did get good reports.

Son Kevin likes to pretend he is a weather forecaster, and he said the winds were going to go to other places. That suits us just fine. I do think the shoreline all up and down the east coast is suffering badly, but we are pretty far away from the ocean, about 100 miles.

We just had some lights flicker and winds hit, so I will say adios for now.....

jgnova
October 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Carol, I think the DC Metro area has been relatively lucky so far. But we're just heading into the time when we can expect the worst winds (until about 2 a.m.). It certainly is sounding louder! :(

J suggested that we sleep in our recliners but the master bedroom is in the northeast corner of the house away from the one tree that has multiple trunks, including one that leans toward the northwest corner of the housep. The arborist didn't see any problems with it when we had them come evaluate everything and take down the silver maple in the front that had already lost one trunk and the other two were losing bark and the roots were rotting. Then again, the derecho brought down two small trees in the back yard that were healthy. But I'm not excessively worried about that one leaning trunk, just slightly. :cool:

Yes, West Virginia is having wet snow from what I see on various reports. Significant inches, too.

The sinking of that clipper ship is really sad. I would have thought it could survive a storm but maybe it didn't get far enough out to sea to avoid the worst of the waves. So far reports are that one crew member died and the captain is missing but everyone else has been rescued. I'm certainly glad NOT to be on a cruise just now. :eek:

S

wvufan
October 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Good morning!

Hope everyone is OK.

No snow here in Vienna, but other areas have and are continuing to get slammed with lots of wet snow. Many trees still have leaves, so that makes it even worse.

Haven't heard from family in Joisey yet. Traded some emails with Finely Cruising-she lives in Teaneck NJ and has a place in Cape May. As of last night, she was fine in Teaneck. Not sure of any damage in Cape May to their place or boat.

Friends in Baltimore lost power. Their basement normally floods and they have a sump pump, but with the power out all they could try to do was bail. After about 3 hours, they gave up. No report yet this morning.

Susan, I too felt bad about the tall ship and crew. They are such magnificant ships. Not too encouraging for the captain. Have you heard anything from Helene?

Read that the Twilight store in out west burned-we were in there when we took our western trip.

Poke today. Back later.

Keep your powder dry.

wvufan
October 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Talked to DIL-they were driving around to charge their cell phones. They are fine. Power out, but they have a wood burning fireplace in basement if needed.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phhyl

jgnova
October 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Bob, yes, Helene said last night that they were fine and had power, but the boys didn't have power in their apartment so had come home to roost for the night. :rolleyes:

S

bug_dan
October 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
All ok here, we were fortunate, nothing more than a lot of leaves etc on the ground at our house. PPL, our electric co says there are still about 4000 without power in Pa, luckily we had no power outage, not even a flicker:)

Lois R
October 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I am glad all of you are ok:)

I had the closing today for my new place:) now I would love to be
able to tell you I have sold my old place but no such luck:(

CAC104
October 30th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Congratulations Lois on your closing....Boy that really moved quickly for you. Don't be discouraged if your old place takes a while to sell. I hope your real estate agent was realistic in telling you what it could sell for because everyone only wants to buy if it is a bargain price. I know if I tried to sell my condo now, I would lose quite a substantial amount of money.

My New York family is having problems from Sandy. My brother lives out on Long Island, and he hasn't had power since early yesterday and it is still out with no idea of when it will be back on. He had his neighbors tree that lined the street fall over on his car and go through the car roof. It also brought down a power line, but since the power was already out, it didn't cause a problem.

Then my other brother who lives in Manhattan on 20th Street had his power shut off by Con Edison when they decided to shut down the power for the whole downtown section of Manhattan. In an 8th floor apt. this means taking the stairs to get down and up, also they won't have water since they need pumps on the get water pressure up that high. He has his Dental office also by his apt., so he can't work without power....He also has a summer house out in Hampton Bays, but that one isn't near the ocean and his neighbors haven't called with any news of damage.

The pictures on TV of the devastation in NYC and NJ are just awful. I can't imagine how long it is going to take to get things put to rights again. In NJ in 1962 they had a March storm that did the same damage and they rebuilt. But, even though it has been 50 years they now are faced with rebuilding an area with even more houses. Somehow, I think those beach side houses need to be abandoned and turn the area into a beach park with no houses....either that or just not offer insurance because all those insurance costs are filtered down through the system to everyone in the country. In my opinion if an area has been flooded out twice by big storms, then you need to figure it is going to happen again.

wvufan
October 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Howdy

Lois, glad the closing went smoothly (I used to sell real estate, and it ain't over til the fat lady sings). Hopefully your old place sells soon.

Talked to my dil in Highland Park and also my friends from Lavalette (very near Seaside Heights that has been in all the pictures). They are both fine. They are out of power, so they have heard about damage, but have not been able to follow all the coverage on tv and see the devastation. He did say that one of the areas with very expensive mansions near his house took a big hit. The Lavalette guy had water in his house, and his business is a mess. He is getting out of town for a while as there is nothing he can do. May go down to Isla Esmeralda in the Keys. Hopefully he will be able to reopen in a few weeks. My son went to work today in Avanel. No power in Highland Park, so dil can't go back to work until there is.

One third of the people in WV are without power. So much heavy snow in many areas. Nothing here, but 65 miles south of us got almost a foot.

Hasta luego

CAC104
October 31st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Bob...it is hard to believe that you didn't get any snow from the pictures and stores about WVA on the TV. Why do you think your area got skipped?

Same thing here in my little part of the county. We have a lot of damage around us, but our neighborhood escaped. I was praying real hard, so maybe that helped.

wvufan
November 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Howdy :)

Carol, most of the snow followed the mountains, and we are far enough west of them to miss the snow. Hard to believe such a great amount of snow, power outages, etc. a hundred miles or less away from us.

Lois, with all the excitement (and stress) of house hunting etc. your cruise is coming at a perfect time.

Off to Morgantown tomorrow for the game. Back Sunday.

CAC104
November 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Bob...Have fun at the game and I hope you don't have to go through any snow to get there.

Lois...Is it cruise weekend? If so, I hope you have a wonderful time without any storms.

I just got back from pretending to be a high school English teacher. It was a real breeze today because the teacher decided to give the kids a Halloween treat and left "Monster House" for the kids to watch....also candy to go with it. Now they are off for 4 days. Since Tuesday is Election Day, they made Monday a professional day for the teachers, but if they got all their grades in, they don't have to come to work.

Lois R
November 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi:)...no, no cruise now. I leave here on Friday for San Juan and sail
a week from tomorrow. The cruise is Nov 10-17th.

This weekend? I am moving stuff tomorrow and Sunday..back and
forth...back and forth.......and need to run other errands for the
new place.

I hope Lorraine and Dave are ok......Sandy went to Ct too, right?:eek:

Susan, hope you and Jonathon are ok and your Dad too:)

Whoever else is up north.....sending more good thoughts to everyone.

CAC104
November 2nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Lois...Take care loading and carrying boxes back and forth so that you don't hurt your back!

Lois R
November 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Lois...Take care loading and carrying boxes back and forth so that you don't hurt your back!

No worries:) if it is too heavy? It is staying here for the movers.
There is a lot of stuff I can move without heavy weight;)

wvufan
November 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Good morning

Hope the moving went easily Lois. Lot to do while trying to get ready for a cruise too!

Carol, how appropriate that, on Halloween, your district gives teachers a freebie day off disguised as a professional day. My DIL in JOISEY said that in NJ they were not scheduled to have school due to a 2 day teacher's conference in Atlantic City! That got cancelled, but she doesn't know if they will have school. Around here, schoool is off around Thanksgiving for deer season. Recently they discovered that the kids in one of our gifted programs were simply sitting around doing board games. They need to change the program to "Every Child Left Behind." :D

Hoping we get an update soon from TS.

Working the polls tomorrow. I have worked with the same folks for years, and we have a great team. Biggest challenge is planning the food, and we got that covered.

The early voting lines as shown on tv are huge! Some people waiting many hours. We won't have that problem, but at least it should be busy enough to keep us from being bored.

Vote early and vote often ;)

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

venicecruiser
November 6th, 2012, 06:13 AM
vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vc

Lois R
November 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Good morning, I voted early on Saturday morning before I started my
long day.

Bob, hope things go smoothly for you. I understand the East Coast
is going to have more weather issues:eek::rolleyes:.

I want to send a shout out to Helene, Paul and their family and
Lorraine, Dave and their family......I hope all of you are ok.

CAC104
November 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
This morning we went to the hospital bright and early and Kent had the procedure that required him to spend lots of time on the "throne" last night. This was what was postponed last week when the hurricane hit. It was much better not worrying about losing the power or getting hit by falling trees while driving to the hospital.:D All results were completely normal. So, that was the last of the invasive testing he needs for the lung transplant. Now he has to finish up on getting the immunizations and of course they constantly take blood and breathing tests to see how he is doing.

We came home and he was able to eat a nice brunch and then we took Kevin and went to vote. We vote in the elementary school just down the road and we waited about 5 minutes in line and then voted. Being a very suburban area we don't have high density of population, so unless you are trying to vote after work, we never have big lines.

I will be so Thankful to wake up tomorrow and know that I don't have to listen to anymore campaign ads!!! At least in this country we know that whom ever wins, the country is just going to keep on going and we don't have to worry about upheavals.

One thing, I wish they would scrap the Electoral College so we all could feel like our votes count. I am sick of all the attention being paid to Ohio as if they are the only folks who count. We should go with the majority rules to select our winners. I felt sorry for Al Gore because he really had more people vote for him, yet that didn't count. They keep saying on the news now that one candidate might have more votes, but lose because of the Electoral College votes.

venicecruiser
November 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM
CAC - Glad the "invasive" procedures are over for Kent. Will keep my fingers crossed that once he's on the waiting list, he won't have to wait too long.

Saw one of my docs yesterday. According to some lab work I had done 4 weeks ago, I may be in the early stages of kidney failure. Apparently, my kidneys are not filtering properly. I'm having the lab work repeated next Tuesday and if it still shows the same results, I will have to add a nephrologist to my ever expanding list of docs.............

I was up most of the night watching election returns. I majored in poly sci in college and I am a self-confessed political junkie. So last night was like Christmas, New Years, and my birthday all rolled into one!

Have a good day, all..........

VC

CAC104
November 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Claudia....I am so sorry to read about your kidneys...just one more thing I wish you didn't have to worry about. The only thing I can say is drink plenty of cranberry juice and eat asparagus. I have read that canned asparagus are as good as fresh. You can smell the difference in the urine. It is an old fashioned remedy but it is worth trying.

It looks like the popular vote and the Electorial vote do indicate the winner.

The Electorial college has always been part of the Constitution. It was supposed to give the states a fair representation...don't ask me how. The number of votes each state gets is based on the population of that state. That being said, I don't know why they just don't let the majority vote count to pick the winner. At least then they would have to be sure to count every vote all over the country and not be able to call an election before everything came in. I think it would give everyone more of a feeling that their vote counts...especially the voters on the west coast.

I haven't turned the TV on this morning because I don't want to hear all the Monday night quarterbacks start to analyze the election.

I hope that the weather will not be as bad as predicted for those who are still recovering from the Hurricane.

wvufan
November 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Howdy

VC, hope the next lab work is encouraging.

Carol, glad Kent's scope was fine. I had one last Friday-one polyp removed. They did it to investigate cause of mucus and it apparently is due to diverticuloses. In and of itself, not serious, but there are diet and other implications to keep it that way. Finding and removing the polyp was a bonus. A scope is the number one way to prevent cancer and anyone who doesn't get them when recommended is foolish.

Issues and candidates aside, my take is that Obama's handlers conducted a better campaign. I don't particularly like the electoral college, but the idea is to prevent the major population centers from determining the outcome without any significant impact from the small states. Thus, the people in NH, WV, et al can feel their vote counts. I'd still rather go by popular vote.

Worked the polls yesterday. Nice steady day-went quickly even though polls were open from 6:30 to 7:30. Fell asleep in my easy chair several times today.

Keep hoping we'll hear from TS-hope they are safe.

wvufan
November 8th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Congrats to FSU for beathing the Chokies!

CAC104
November 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I feel so sorry for the people in NJ and LI that have had such damage and now have this snow to make them even more miserable. Then to top it off, their insurance says they aren't going to cover most of them because they said it was flood damage, and a lot of the houses didn't have flood insurance because they never had any water problems before. There is a fine line between what damage was wind and what was water damage, but the insurance companies are trying to find all kinds of ways to get out of making all those payouts.

My DH is just worn out from doctors and procedures. Today he had to have 3 skin tags taken off at our Doctor's office. One required 7 stitches and the other two only a stitch. Then I had to drive him to the X- ray place in another part of town because he had to have a bone density study made. So now he had had all the tests and shots, except for the next hepatitis shots so he only has to go to the pulmonary rehab class on 11/27. After that we should know if they are going to put him on the transplant list or not.

After taking Kent to the appointments I brought him home and then drove up the highway a bit to Walmart and then Costco. I loaded up on food to feed the hordes that seem to be in my house now....I constantly am feeding 6 adults...Kent and myself and then 3 of our kids and a future DIL...and sometimes her 10 year old daughter. We have 4 kids, so I fed a lot of people for years, but I was a lot younger then and I really feel worn out by the constant company.

Tomorrow I am subbing as a Special Ed teacher in HS. I think it will just involve going around to help the kids in classes, so I won't be running a class.

wvufan
November 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Howdy

Lois, hope you had a nice flight and have a great cruise. Post if you can.

Carol, it just seems so hopeless for many hit by Sandy. This is the Lavalette site which indicates just how bad it is. It's not like they had a storm and can start cleaning up and rebuilding. May be over 6 months before they get natural gas.

http://www.lavallette.org/

Sounds like you need a chuckwagon! Anything happening for Kim yet? Looks like Jim is getting it together-came a long way from a few years ago. I hope you like his girlfriend and kid.

Assuming Kent gets on the transfer list, how long of a wait do you anticipate?

Special Olympics here starting today. My kid didn't go to team practice so wasn't on the team even though he bowled high enough in the qualifying tourney.

Y'all have a great weekend

CAC104
November 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM
It is so sad for all those N.J. and NY people who had such disasters. The snow was just salt being thrown into open wounds. I can't imagine how it must feel to have lost everything.

We are just living day to day and cannot plan anything. If Kent is put on the list, there is no time frame. It is sad to think that someone suitable has to die for lungs to become available. I cannot wish anyone a death to make the wait shorter. It is a hard thing to rationalize, but I have had experience. Back in Dec. 1995 I received a cornea transplant. I managed to get a nurse who I always saw to find out for me about the cornea and I know that it was a 24 year old shooting victim. It did bother me for a while that I had part of a dead person in me, but then I got used to it and hoped that the person could somehow see a little through my eye...strange isn't it?

wvufan
November 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Howdy

Just caught a bit of a story on TV about a former seal who got a lung transplant from an accident victim. After the race was the first time that he got to meet the mother of the donor. She was thrilled that her son continues in him. Great story.

Gas is $3.06 here today.

Played poker today-really love playing with my old coot buddies.

Phyl is starting to repot plants and put them in their inside winter homes while making room for all her decorations. Lot to do in the next week as we prepare for Thanksgiving. Our son and family are coming in for the family get together on Thursday, but will leave Friday as my DIL had a big high school reunion. Wish they were staying longer, but it will give us a good opportunity to get ready for the cruise.

Claudia, you are really in my thoughts as the holidays approach. Anytime you want to chat email me or pick up the phone :).

Hasta luego

venicecruiser
November 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Bob. I will be spending Christmas with step-son and family in Orlando...

VC

CAC104
November 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/485006_369221566496741_1456544228_n.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=369221566496741&set=a.130379457047621.34686.100002267029952&type=1&ref=nf)

This was taken last night for Kevin's Birthday. We had gone out first to a Greek restaurant, but Kevin wanted a Carvel Ice Cream cake so we came home for dessert.

I will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in years. If we are in Florida, I make all the vegetables but go to Maria's house. Since we are in Maryland I will cook and have the kids who live here plus Jim's girlfriend and daughter over. Christmas we will fly in Jennifer and maybe the Grandaugher Erin.

Mahya
November 14th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Good Pics Carol.
Whose the blonde on the far left ? I know who the blonde on the right is :D

CAC104
November 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hi Lisa....Nice to have you join us! The blonde on the left is our daughter Kimberly. (or should I lie and say she is my sister so I don't seem so old:rolleyes:)

I seem to have picked up a mild sore throat and ear ache from my son Jim, the biggest problem is that it sure has made me one dizzy blonde.

That is what happens to be any time I get a bug of any kind, I immediately get vertigo and never know how long it will last.

Boy oh Boy....those twins in Florida have sure become a national security nightmare. One of my friends posted over on FB..."Move over Kardashians, here come the twins!" Wonder if they will do a Playboy spread :confused::D:eek:

Lois R
November 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hi from St Thomas:)........in a little internet cafe at Havensight.

Cruise has been wonderful:D.......went back to traditional dining
(after doing 3 Select) and have great tablemates who are all alot of
fun:D

Hope all of you are well......home tomorrow night and I move Sunday
morning......and the best news is my sis sent me an email and my place
has a buyer:D closing with cash within 15 days!!!!!!!

Mahya
November 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM
[quote=CAC104;36086837]Hi Lisa....Nice to have you join us! The blonde on the left is our daughter Kimberly. (or should I lie and say she is my sister so I don't seem so old:rolleyes:)
Definitely say she's your sister - :D

I seem to have picked up a mild sore throat and ear ache from my son Jim, the biggest problem is that it sure has made me one dizzy blonde.

That is what happens to be any time I get a bug of any kind, I immediately get vertigo and never know how long it will last.

Hope it's not the flu Carol, and feel better fast.
I have similar problem from neck injury - doc gave me Meclizine for dizziness -fixes it immediately - maybe you could ask your doc for prescription -

wvufan
November 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi Lois-glad the cruise is going well and that your place sold :) Do you have to work the Friday after Thanksgiving?

Hi Lisa :)

I heard from Finely Cruising-they are fine. Hope we get a report from TS soon.

Am reading The Panther by DeMille. Love his books.

Hasta luego

Mahya
November 16th, 2012, 08:25 PM
By the way, did I mention I finally did book the Dec 5 RCL Independence of the Seas? 2 1/2 days not enough time to look at every floor on the ship - I must be loopy - but have never been on that Freedom class ship - wish you could come with me Carol - but maybe next year - and a big transatlantic.... I was supposed to do Greece in 2008 and that got sidelined, so maybe a big trip there -

CAC104
November 16th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi from St Thomas:)........in a little internet cafe at Havensight.I hope you are having good weather!

Cruise has been wonderful:D.......went back to traditional dining
(after doing 3 Select) and have great tablemates who are all alot of
fun:DTraveling as a single, do you find that this way you have more conversation at dinner because it is always the same people?

Hope all of you are well......home tomorrow night and I move Sunday
morning......and the best news is my sis sent me an email and my place
has a buyer:D closing with cash within 15 days!!!!!!!
With this economy that is a fantastic development. Congratulations!

Lisa...I have meclazine in my medicine cabinet, but if I take that, it knocks me out and I am already sleeping a lot during the day. I just have to wait for this virus to pass out of my body. Once my ears don't hurt I am sure it will be okay.

Right now cruising is the last thing on my mind:(

tropicalsunset
November 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
well we are back from our cruise on Jewel of the Seas.... RCL told us with the approach of SAndy that they would inform us of decisions regarding our itinerary as we arrived in Boston on Sunday... right away as we got to port we were told we were not going anywhere!!! we Stayed in Boston with a tug nestled perpendicular to the aft of the ship for the duration of the storm... the Captain kept telling us we could go ashore and times to be back... but I think folks just stayed onboard and enjoyed the amenities of the ship... we pulled out 9am on Tuesday... incidentally the Caribbean Princess joined us at 9pm on Sunday to ride out the storm...an unscheduled stop... basically I don't think we could outrun the storm... 2 of our port stops were canceled.. St Kitts and Barbados... ST Thomas was rescheduled from Thursday to Sat... as I had arranged private tours in St Thomas and St Kitts.. I spent time on my phone cancelling those tours. It wasn;t totally bad.. I grew up outside of Boston and have a couple friends in the area... although I didn't trust the weather to go see them... I did take advantage of the free time to reconnect with a looong telephone conversation. we saw quite a few cutbacks for Diamond members.... not too many perks... have to be Diamond Plus .. and that may not happen for us... we decided we much prefer to sail Celebrity. The next two days at sea were cloudy and quite rocky and were the last two days coming back... our day in ST Thomas was also very cloudy and rainy tho we did do a CAt sail there... :rolleyes:

CAn I say that I am happy to be home... .no not really... always a good time to sail with friends... got a few nights of good dancing in and our band from Liberty last year were onboard and remembered us...!!

Lois... SOOOO Happy you sold your cond... this is meant to be and I wish you many years of Health and Happiness in your new Place... ENJOY!!

Carol... feeel better and we are still keeping Kent in our thoughts and prayers.. Keep us posted...

happy Thanksgiving to all... we are headed to MAine.. and this year some of the family are joining us for dinner at the Marriott... just happy we can get together...we will have homemade pies and games at my FILs later in the day.. Brian will be staying home and having turkey with friends.. his Job at Yale is pretty demanding and his hours are now dependent on when the DRS schedule their training sessions...

welcome to Mayha... I am jealous that you can do short sailings... when we have a flight ... I just can't justify anything less than 9 days.... enjoy... !!! :)

Lorraine

Mahya
November 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
welcome to Mayha... I am jealous that you can do short sailings... when we have a flight ... I just can't justify anything less than 9 days.... enjoy... !!! :)

Lorraine[/quote]

Hi Lorraine, and Lois, and thanks for the welcome. I should clarify that Mahya and Lisa are one and the same person :rolleyes:

I'm not mad for the short cruises and I can't justify what I'm spending on 2 1/2 days (: but Carol and I take the Majesty every year in December for 4 days , and since she can't these days, I took this once in a blue moon short Independence cause I've never been on the ice skating ships.....hope it doesn't do that literally :eek:
It helps to have moved from Niantic/Waterford Ct to Southeast Florida and being near the ports... I'm jealous that you can get Jewel of the Seas. Jewel and Brilliance were my first and favorite ships and since rcl moved them out of Florida, I haven't been on since. I like the smaller ships, like Jewel and Brilliance, but Majesty is a bit too small.

New favorite is Ruby Princess and I'm looking forward to when my cruising roommate Carol will be able to do a TA again.

Uh-Oh - you mention that rcl has cut way back on perks for Diamonds...again - what have they canceled now?:(

CAC104
November 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Lorraine....You were lucky to ride out the storm in the safety of the port. I have heard from others who were caught in the ocean that the waves were horrible. But, it is still a shame to have missed those good ports and not to have the weather be a bit nicer for you. That is the problem with going anywhere on a vacation...you never know when the weather is going to be bad.

Like Mahya (to me she is Lisa) I too am wondering how they cut back on Diamonds. Did they still have the free wine in the evenings? That is basically the perk I like the most because I am an evening wine drinker. The rest of the day my soda package I always buy keeps me adequately taken care of. I do like Celebrity as long as the Diamonds are still Elites and can go to the evening free cocktail hours.

Yes, I am really missing my Dec. short cruise. I also missed my Nov. cruise with my jugs club. But, I just can't leave Kent now because he really is not feeling well. Knowing me, I would worry too much if I left and would feel entirely too guilty. Hopefully, if he gets a new lung and gets back to feeling good I can take off again with a clear conscience

tropicalsunset
November 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I guess because we were on a smaller ship... there was no dedicated Diamond Lounge... as we are not Wine drinkers... we could go to any of five lounges and get our mixed drinks at 25% off.. (free vs 25% off... whattup with that) I also think a dedicated lounge.. you meet more people... there was a diamond breakfast but it offered cappuccino for free... we were discussing that you used to get a free gift in your cabin... chocolates on your pillow... we got a small dried fruit and cookie box... half the size of last years... just seems little by little they are cutting back... the Diamond party had only one glass of champagne when you walked in ... no little buffet....

Yes, we were very happy that we stayed in Boston... however for the price we paid for this cruise....we really only made 4 port stops... but ... you can't control the weather... and we have been very lucky all these years.

CAC104
November 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I think with the economy and the fact that they have to keep the fares low, they need to find ways to make more profits, so what they give away is going to get smaller. I haven't been on the really large ships, but it seems that they have more shops to sell stuff, and eating venues that they charge fees for. I think by so easily signing a ticket to get what you want, people spend more on a ship than they realize until the final bill gets delivered:rolleyes:

Yes Lorraine, you did pay for things that were not to be, but no one could have imagined a hurricane so late in the season. I hope your next cruise will be extra special to make up for this one.

Mahya
November 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I guess because we were on a smaller ship... there was no dedicated Diamond Lounge... as we are not Wine drinkers... we could go to any of five lounges and get our mixed drinks at 25% off.. (free vs 25% off... whattup with that) I also think a dedicated lounge.. you meet more people...

just seems little by little they are cutting back... the Diamond party had only one glass of champagne when you walked in ... no little buffet....

Lorraine,

The last large Diamond Lounge/Party I attended was on the TA Navigator.. where the wine (and otherwise) flowed freely - without charge - and I agree it was the socializing that was nice about it

(nothing much missed in the auderves - they were dried up and not very good even then)

Is it now that you are allowed one glass of champagne and that's it?

jgnova
November 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thinking about/in booking process for B2B out of San Juan on Summit in January (1/5 and 1/12). Hmmm. Anybody else interested? :eek:

S

Lois R
November 20th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Thinking about/in booking process for B2B out of San Juan on Summit in January (1/5 and 1/12). Hmmm. Anybody else interested? :eek:

S

Hi Susan:)...why don't you wait and book Equinox with me
in March?:D...going for 11 nights on March 4th for my 55th
birthday. Sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

jgnova
November 20th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Lois, we didn't like Silhouette for the architecture and Equinox is the same plan. And we need to use time when J is off from work without using paid time off. This will get us warmer weather when it's cold here. By March, I have flowers coming into bloom. :)

S

Lois R
November 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM
Lois, we didn't like Silhouette for the architecture and Equinox is the same plan. And we need to use time when J is off from work without using paid time off. This will get us warmer weather when it's cold here. By March, I have flowers coming into bloom. :)

S

Good morning......ohhh..ok....just thought I would ask:)

wvufan
November 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
Howdy

I always look in a few times a day, but didn't realize how long it had been since I posted!

Glad you got your place sold Lois, and that you had a great cruise :).

We have booked the identical cruise to our upcoming one for next year at the same time. Phyllis would really like to not cruise in December, but there are 4-5 other couples cruising with us and we really like them, so we cruise. There is a chance we will cancel next year, but not probable. I prefer cruising in January or maybe Feb, but avoid spring break and other times when there will be a lot of kids. Also, unless no alternative, we don't like to cruise during football season. This year we miss one game, and will next year too.

The back to back sounds great Susan. This will be our first time on S class-what didn't you like? Some day I want to cruise out of PR and spend a few days pre or post cruise.

TS, sorry the cruise wasn't as much as you hoped for, but is sounds like you at least had some good times with friends and a break from "real life."

I don't drink alcohol at all, but really look forward to the happy hour gatherings with others-a highlight of each day.

Mahya, hope the day soon comes when you and Carol will be able to sail together again. Praying that Kent has a successfull transplant in the near future.

Kid from Joisey coming in tonight, but they are leaving early Friday morning as DIL has a big HS reunion. Just as well as we are leaving here Monday and have to get ready.

Lois, our schedule will be a bit different this time. Won't get to Jacksonville until around 6 or so and will be going to our friends's house overnight. Will keep in touch and try to get together for a bit on our way home. We will be leaving DeLand on Sunday the 16th, and will want to go lot of miles that day, but maybe at least a coffee if you are available. :)

Dan, hope you and June are fine.

VC, have a good visit with your family.

jgnova
November 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lois, I meant to comment that I was glad your place is sold. Has the contract been finalized (I know -- not through settlement, but everybody accepted it, I mean)?? You've put a lot of effort into maintaining it nicely and it must have presented quite well to sell this fast.

Bob, the architecture of the S class has an open forum in the center that rises up several levels and leaves open the library and hideaway, both of which are supposed to be quiet spaces. But they mostly have loud music in the forum most of the afternoon and evening, which means there really is no quiet in those two areas or in any other public space that opens off the central foyer area on any of those levels. We were in the wine bar (whatever it's called) trying to listen to a performance by the string trio (I think it was three) and couldn't hear them at all with the doors open and even after they closed the doors, we could still hear the noise from the open forum. Don't even mention trying to hold a conversation at any of the locations open to the central forum. Most of the bars had fairly loud "music" as well. (See J's several posts in various places on noise levels.) We cruise to relax and loud music and noise are totally non-relaxing. We spent a lot of time on our balcony that we might otherwise have spent in the wine bar or coffee/gelato place but for the noise level. So it's architecture plus the general volume of noise everywhere. :cool:

BTW, Lillie is doing our reservations for us. J is just too overwhelmed with work and school and I'm wiped out.

S

CAC104
November 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
Tomorrow will be the first time I have had Thanksgiving here in Maryland in years, and I do miss my Florida family and friends, but I am having my kids over, and we will have a bit of excitement tomorrow....

When Kent wanted to get engaged, his mother gave him her engagement ring, which was handed down to her from her great aunt and had been in the family since way back then. He had it reset and I was given it with the expectation that I would also pass it down. I haven't wanted to wear jewelry now since my fingers got all messed up from arthritis so it has been in the safe. It is over a carat and in a tiffany setting. My son Jim said he is ready to get married and would like to give Tara an engagement ring. So, I got it out of the safety deposit box, and he is going to give it to her at dinner tomorrow. I was actually a carat and half when I got it, but it was an "old miner cut," and years ago I had it recut into a more modern cut which made it sparkle so much more. Anyway, this will be the 5th generation to have the ring.

jgnova
November 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Wow, Carol. That truly will be an exciting event and passing it to the 5th generation -- amazing history. Have a lovely lovely dinner!

Susan

venicecruiser
November 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving!

Bob - safe travels next week and enjoy your cruise. I leave for Ft. Lauderdale 11/30.

VC

Lois R
November 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you:)

I have been unpacking boxes all day:eek:. Sis and Bil are in Orlando
and they fly to Rome tomorrow and will be sailing on Equinox....TA
coming back...... I think it is something like 15 nights.
No Turkey here for me this year. I am watching football of course.
At least I have some family photos up now so the place does not seem
so "cold". I am waiting for my sister to get back to put up all the
"wall hangings", bigger pictures, etc....she is going to help me with
it.

Tomorrow a new sofa is being delivered:D...well, it is really a love
seat. That should help the living room area too. My old couch is in
one of the other bedrooms now.

Susan, closing on the old place is Monday afternoon 4:00pm. So the
buyer signed part of it already, yes. They did that while I was on
my cruise. My sister has Power of Attorney and so she was able to
sign for me. Now I will sign the final stuff and get a nice check;)

Carol, that is wonderful about the ring and congratulations to you
and Kent too.:)

Lois R
November 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Howdy

I always look in a few times a day, but didn't realize how long it had been since I posted!

Glad you got your place sold Lois, and that you had a great cruise :).

We have booked the identical cruise to our upcoming one for next year at the same time. Phyllis would really like to not cruise in December, but there are 4-5 other couples cruising with us and we really like them, so we cruise. There is a chance we will cancel next year, but not probable. I prefer cruising in January or maybe Feb, but avoid spring break and other times when there will be a lot of kids. Also, unless no alternative, we don't like to cruise during football season. This year we miss one game, and will next year too.

The back to back sounds great Susan. This will be our first time on S class-what didn't you like? Some day I want to cruise out of PR and spend a few days pre or post cruise.

TS, sorry the cruise wasn't as much as you hoped for, but is sounds like you at least had some good times with friends and a break from "real life."

I don't drink alcohol at all, but really look forward to the happy hour gatherings with others-a highlight of each day.

Mahya, hope the day soon comes when you and Carol will be able to sail together again. Praying that Kent has a successfull transplant in the near future.

Kid from Joisey coming in tonight, but they are leaving early Friday morning as DIL has a big HS reunion. Just as well as we are leaving here Monday and have to get ready.

Lois, our schedule will be a bit different this time. Won't get to Jacksonville until around 6 or so and will be going to our friends's house overnight. Will keep in touch and try to get together for a bit on our way home. We will be leaving DeLand on Sunday the 16th, and will want to go lot of miles that day, but maybe at least a coffee if you are available. :)

Dan, hope you and June are fine.

VC, have a good visit with your family.

Hey Bob, you could stay with me.......I have 3 bedrooms now
and live near a fabulous outdoor mall:D

CAC104
November 23rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c77.0.403.403/p403x403/21676_372391919513039_1162763641_n.jpg

Som here is the happy couple!

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. Ours was really very nice and Tara was happy to get engaged on Thanksgiving. She said it will give her something extra to be thankful for on every Thanksgiving.:)

bug_dan
November 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Jus

bug_dan
November 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Oops:(. Just wanted to point out that November is a great month for romance:). June and I are celebrating 49 years of wedded bliss today:)

Lois R
November 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Oops:(. Just wanted to point out that November is a great month for romance:). June and I are celebrating 49 years of wedded bliss today:)

WOW....Happy Anniversary to you both:):D:)

CAC104
November 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM

Happy Anniversary!

tropicalsunset
November 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Carol.... Congrats to the Happy Couple!! It will be nice to have a Celebration in the family to plan and what a touching story about the ring!! Many years of happiness to them both!!

Happy Anniversary to Dan and his lovely bride... how impressive...!! I admire all that stay in happy relationships long term.. Dave and I figure the only way we will make it to 50 is to add our pasts onto ..... oh well... the key is always to be happy... sending our best wishes your way!!

We are in that terrible place where we have no future cruises booked... due to my lack of work... I am cautious to book.... so it has to be the "right' sailing...whatever that means.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My son and I went to Lowes and bought a Palm tree Christmas tree... I've wanted to do this for several years... and they have always sold out... they only had three so even though we had just come home from Maine .... I ventured out and now our tree is up two weeks earlier than usual... Its lovely has room for more stuff around the base and no ornaments at child level just in case there are grandchildren in our future..

We had a great time in Maine... stayed at the Marriott there near Maine Mall.. They had a great restaurant where we had our holiday dinner ... they set us up in a private room that I hadn't requested but worked out wonderfully. Now that my FIL has great grandchildren it is hard to get all together but we got much of the family together and it was just a nice relaxing visit focused on the kids and family!!! got some shopping in later in the afternoon on Friday... I broke down and bought winter casual shoes with no heel... something I have not needed before ....

The winter chill is moving in for real and we did some winterizing jobs for Dad outside on Friday morning and met a neighbor who has and will check in on him...

Susan enjoy your cruise... sounds like a wonderful time to cruise and I would sooo love to join you.... wonder if I will win the lottery this week??!! :) I will keep it in mind........

Bob... so funny how your life revolves around football... and Susan likes the quiet... we seek out the good ballroom dancing.... Touche... what I like about cruising.... but I love to sit by the pool late in the afternoon when everyone is back in their cabins changing for dinner... Howard taught me that... so quiet... also we read in the disco off hours... better than the library for quiet..

CAC104
November 25th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving weekend!

I know that I can't lift very heavy things anymore, so I only bought a 17 pound turkey, and when that was stuffed and in my heavy roasting pan I could hardly lift it into the oven.:rolleyes:

I fed 7 of us on Thursday, then 5 of us had the same exact meal on Friday because I put out all the plastic containers filled with food and told them to fix a plate and nuke it. Then on Saturday I made a pot of very thick turkey rice soup for dinner with a loaf of Italian bread, and there was enough of that for us to have some for lunch today, so I made good use of that bird.:D

After Church this morning this has been a football watching day. I am glad that the Giants are looking so much better after their week off.

Lorraine...Have you been actively looking for another job? Can you use what you know to branch out into other areas than what you used to do? I had a Palm tree Christmas tree down in Florida for a few years, but it wasn't pre lit, and then I wanted a bigger tree so gave it away and bought a regular one that came prelighted

Lois...sounds like your new place is getting homey for you. Where is this one located. You said it was by a mall, which one? Anywhere near I 95?

Bob...are they forecasting snow for you on Wed?

wvufan
November 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Good morning

Happy Anniversary to Dan and June :).

Happy closing to Lois :)

Happy Engagement to Jim :)

Lorraine, did you get an open booking? Even if not, maybe you will find an opportunity for that right cruise with friends who have a friends and family certificate.

Nova, I have read that the noise levels are much better-hope that's the case as we both seek out quiet areas. I hope to finally finish Caribbean by Michener.

VC, hope your cruise is wonderful, and we will be thinking of Rod.

Leaving in about an hour. Back on Dec 17th. Will post sometime during our trip.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sea+cruise+frankie+ford&mid=1B32E01525A64CA168A51B32E01525A64CA168A5&view=detail&FORM=VIRE8

tropicalsunset
November 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Bob... Happy Cruisin!! and safe travels... snowing here... hope you are able to avoid the icy roads....
We have an open booking for Celebrity that we bought a couple years ago... we opted not to get one for RCL...

Carol: I really am taking my time... I'm on Lindedin, Careerbuilder and Monster... and have many options of career fields... I used to do retail Management and have an associates in that.. I quit that when I became a single Mom and had to work Daycare hours!! I am looking into some things I can do on my own ... and can also look into temping... so for now I can think I have lots of options...I've been keeping busy just finding stuff around the house .. Today we have a contractor replacing our front double doors... they were drafty and original to the house and new locks all around too..

I love James Michener... haven't read his stuff in a while... he wrote a book about Sports in America... really interesting read... and summarizes how our PE programs should be giving children physical activities for LIFE...

Tami got me onto Jeffrey Deaver so I am reading "XO" right now...

Stay warm...

Lorraine

CAC104
November 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Lorraine....I am glad that you are able to just look around before having to take a job. Life is too short to get stuck in something you find out you don't like. I am hoping that you find a good fit for yourself. What kind of double doors did you get? I have double storm doors over my entry doors, and the double entry doors are actually metal and not wood. I see gorgeous wood and glass doors in ads and often think I would like to change them.

I have forgotten, where has Bob gone off to for so long? Was this when they were headed to Florida to go on a cruise?

Lois...Have you had any trouble adjusting to be in the new home?

Lois R
November 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Carol,.......I am adjusting. It is way different than my old place.
It will be even nicer once I get all the wall hangings/pictures up.
I am waiting for my sister to get back because she will help me put
everything up. Many of the items are too big/heavy for me to do
by myself. But I did find a beautiful area rug at Bed, Bath and Beyond:D
And you had asked if I was near I-95?....sort of...not too far from it.

tropicalsunset
November 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
This is Bob and Phyl's itinerary... they leave Sat Dec 1st.....great itinerary... I have not been to Bonaire....

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 4:30 PM
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 At Sea
Day 4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten Docked 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
Day 5 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Docked 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 6 St. Johns, Antigua Docked 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 7 Castries, St. Lucia Docked 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
Day 8 Bridgetown, Barbados Docked 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 9 St. George's, Grenada Docked 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 10 At Sea
Day 11 Kralendijk, Bonaire Docked 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 12 Oranjestad, Aruba Docked 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
Day 13 At Sea
Day 14 At Sea
Day 15 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Lois.... I'd love to see photos of your new place!! have you met your new neighbors??

CAC104
November 28th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for posting the schedule. That is a fantastic cruise. I have been to all of those ports and can say I snorkelled my way through them:D

venicecruiser
November 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Leaving tomorrow for Ft. Lauderdale and Grand Princess on Saturday for 14 days. I will find out onboard what day/time I can scatter Rod's ashes at sea..........

VC

CAC104
November 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Claudia...I am wishing you calm seas and sunny skies, and I hope you have a lovely day to scatter Rod's ashes. I know it will be a sad moment for you, and my sympathy goes out to you.

venicecruiser
November 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Carol. I expect it will be a difficult day..........

VC

Lois R
November 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Hi folks:)

Lorraine, I have seen some folks walking their dogs. As for the folks
in my particular building? I have seen one couple a few times and said
hello....but that's about all for now.

Claudia, sending you good thoughts.

jgnova
November 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Claudia, my thoughts will sail with you. I know Rod wanted this -- my mother did too, though not at sea. My father talks about her being out front.....and that's where he expects to be also.
Susan

CAC104
November 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM
The weather here is going to be pretty nice the next few days and above the normal temps, so it is pleasant to go outside. I have to drive Kent to his pulmonary rehab appointment today so that cuts up my day. I am going to try and pull out some of my Christmas decorations. We haven't been home for Christmas for a few years now, so I need to try and figure out where everything is.

The kids want to have a trim a tree party this Sunday and I said fine, but first you have to see if the tree will light up. We have the tree with the lights permanently put on, and it has been in storage for a few years without being lit up. so who knows if it will work. I keep telling them if we have to buy a tree and lights, then they need to check out the old stuff. But, no one takes me seriously, so I am just keeping my mouth shut and sees what happens. Kim and Tara said they want to cook the dinner for Sunday, and that is fine with me, but instead of a trim a tree party, it may be a go out and buy a new tree party :)

CAC104
December 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
With Bob gone this link has really been quiet. I hate to hog this link by myself, but I will post in hopes that someone else will also add some news....

Last night my daughter and future DIL made dinner for us and we had a trim a tree party. Son Jim got the tree up from the basement storage and everyone helped putting on the ornaments. The best helper was my future Step Grandaughter Bella. She is 10 and the same age as our GD Erin. Since Erin is now up in Mass., she is nice to have around. So a major task has been completed. We still haven't gotten around to finding the outside lights though...After a few years of being in Florida for Christmas I have forgotten where I have put things:rolleyes:

The Washington National Zoo decorates with lights for Christmas and has special exhibits for Christmas time at night with the animals. Since it was so warm, we decided to go there tonight. Only one small problem, we got there and found out it isn't open every night until 12/14. Now it is just open on weekend nights. So, we found a little Thai restaurant and had some Thai food. We hope we can find another night that the weather will be so nice to walk around for a few hours.

tropicalsunset
December 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Carol... 10 is a good age... I know Christmas will be special with soo much to celebrate... please keep us posted on Kent too..

My shopping is nearly done... keeping it simple this year... and I'll go meet my SIL half way to Portland Maine and get my FIL .. he'll be here for several days... it'll be quiet but fun.. probably do board games and I just bought the DVD for Hope Springs and Finding NEmo... that just came out today... Batman is out too... but Im thinking my boys already saw that..

getting chilly here... and the days are Oh so much shorter....

wvufan
December 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Howdy from Antigua!

Having a great cruise. Tomorrow is zip line with treetop in St. Lucia!

OOOEEE :D:D:Bob and Phyl

jgnova
December 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Yes, Carol, it's been pretty quiet here. And the two roll calls for 1/5 and 1/12 seem to be even quieter. The least active roll calls we've been on.

J is trying to figure out excursions for our B-2-B but I want a few days on board when we're in port, I think. We'll probably go see the ports we've never visited before but unless there's something special we've missed in St. Thomas or St. Maarten or St. Croix, we might stay on board at least one or two of those. (Only one sea day per week -- not enough!) I think we decided to do a few beach days, probably in St. Kitts and maybe Antigua. And turnaround day in San Juan we're not sure what we'll do. So J is finding something "special" for each island to think about -- not a long day in a car or bus and not a major "be very fit" event either. (So no ziplining, as Bob and Phyllis are doing.) Suggestions for any island are welcome, even if we might have seen it before.

Here's the itin:

Jan 3 - night at airport for early flight
Jan 4 - early flight to San Juan
Jan 5 - sail from San Juan
Jan 6 - St. Croix
Jan 7 - St. Kitts
Jan 8 - Dominica
Jan 9 - Grenada
Jan 10 - at sea
Jan 11 - St. Thomas
Jan 12 - San Juan turnaround day
Jan 13 - at sea
Jan 14 - Barbados
Jan 15 - St. Lucia
Jan 16 - Antigua
Jan 17 - St. Maarten
Jan 18 - St. Thomas
Jan 19 - San Juan and back home

We got an e-mail with a 20% off offer for specialty dining the first two nights of the first sailing but decided it wasn't enough off to be attractive, especially since eating is not my major interest these days. :rolleyes:

Susan

CAC104
December 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Susan...That sounds like a nice cruise, but I agree with you in that there aren't enough sea days. I actually like the days at sea even more than trying to go to a different Island every day. I have stayed on the ship in ports that I have been to because it is so nice just to relax and have the ship to oneself.

Lorraine...I am with you in trying to keep Christmas simple. With all that is going on with Kent, I just can't get much done to do anything too special.

Sounds like Bob and Phyllis are having fun.:)

This afternoon I drove Kent to the Lung Institute for his pulmonary rehab hour and then we met one of the surgeons, 3 different pulmonary doctors, a social worker, and the lung transplant coordinator. Everyone wanted to come in to meet Kent because they have a meeting with the surgeons and lung doctors to go over cases and decide who they will put on the transplant list. It is sort of like applying to college, not everyone gets acceptance letters. Anyway, everyone said that Kent's pre tests did not indicate any problems and they didn't find any reasons for him not to make the list, but that it would not be official until the actual committee meeting took place. That being said, we continue to work the program, which means another pulmonary rehab visit tomorrow, then on Sat. an all day information meeting from 8:30 until 4. This stuff is really wearing us out:rolleyes:

Lois R
December 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hi, home from my little 3 nighter on REFLECTION:)she is a beauty.
We were supposed to stop in Nassau but did not go there....Capt
opened the bars up for 2 hours of free drinks on Thursday night
for everyone.
Still some upset people:rolleyes:....didn't matter to me as I never intended to
get off the ship anyway.

tropicalsunset
December 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Susan:... great itinerary.... how are you doing these days... Is your back doing well??... I think those islands are just the best beaches especially St Lucia and Antiqua...

Lois:... always folks will complain... those are the people I just take note to avoid!! :rolleyes:

Our neighborhood used to have a Block watch program and annual social events... several years ago some key people moved and it has stopped... We just got an invite to a neighborhood cocktail party to reacquaint the neighborhood next week... should be good to get to know the "newby's" always good to look out for the neighborhood...

Carol... is Kent on Oxygen all the time... is he able to go out and work at all... you all continue to be in our thoughts as you go through this process...

I can Just see Bob... beating his chest like TArzan as he zips through the trees on his zipline.... :eek: :eek:

CAC104
December 8th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Lois...I agree with you about Nassau. After you have been there a few times, it is nicer to just stay on the ship and that is what I did last Dec. when I was on the Majesty.

Lorraine...Yes, Kent is on oxygen 24/7 and cannot get along without it. He has a machine at home, and tanks when he goes out that he has on a caddy that carries two at a time, plus a shoulder bag where he can put a tank. He is going to work three mornings a week, but he can do a lot of the paper work at home, and our on site manager calls him all the time.

Today the information session at INNOVA hospital was really very good and we feel that we now know what to expect. Not exactly what anyone wants to go through, but it couldn't be done in a nicer place. Everyone over there is super.

We got home and Kent was worn out, but I went with my DD, DS, future DIL and step Grandaughter to the Christmas concert at our Church. It was lovely and I really enjoyed it.

CAC104
December 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Good morning from gray and dreary Maryland. I checked down to Florida, and it is bright and sunny where I wish I could be now.

I have blocked out my number so I won't be called for any jobs from now until after Christmas....no way I can do it. This week I have to drive DH on 4 days for his various medical appointments.

I hope everyone will have an easy week ahead.

wvufan
December 12th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Dang-it's hot! :p

Went on Woodwind in Bonaire yesterday-absolutely the best snorkel experience of our lives.

Aruba today. Phyl is riding horses. Last port of call. We head north tomorrow. Will drive home Sunday and Monday. Lois, don't have our specific schedule yet, but will call you probably Saturday to see if you are available for a quick coffee.

Will post more Saturday.

CAC104
December 14th, 2012, 09:44 AM
My husband Kent, after months of tests and doctors visits, has just been put on the lung transplant list. For his Pulmonary Fibrosis, this is the only type of "cure" available. He never smoked or drank and was a Pro Golfer, so this lung disease is a big mystery as to how he got it.

Right now I have to drive him 3 times a week for pulmonary rehab. They want everyone in tip top shape before they operate.

Bob...I loved Bonaire for the snorkeling, and I have heard that the Woodwind is a great boat to go on. One question: What kind of ladder or stairs did they have to get on and off the boat into the water?