PDA

View Full Version : What item did you WISH you would have packed?

Time2gocruzn
February 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
You know how it is when you go on vacation and after arriving you think "Oh cr*p! I wish I would have brought _______ !!!"

What is one item tht you forgot and wished you had...or one item you will not cruise without. Looking for things other than the obvious like signifigant other, underwear, sunscreen, LOL. More $$ is a given, I guess. You get the idea! (for kids or adults)

Just finished packing....I THINK....and want to avoid any "oh cr*p" moments.;)

Lynn427
February 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM
How about a night light for the bathroom and an extension cord? The outlets never seem to be where you need them.

ciship
February 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I'm packing today as well for the 4 of us and I'm exhausted!! I have six TYPED pages of stuff on my list and very little of it is even clothes!! I just don't see how people are able to cruise with just bringing on a carryon bag!! I was stunned when I read that thread. They must wear the same thing everyday and just skip formal nights.

savandbarb
February 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I would have to say something to kill the pain of sun poisoning from martinique last year. we were in so much pain the only thing we could fit on our feet was water shoes for formal night. Kerry our asst maitre D was great with out fitting us with loose fitting clothes for the next port of all.how embarrassing!!!a long green gown with pink water shoes!!!

judyf
February 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
An extra bag packed at the bottom of your suitcase to carry home extra stuff home and or to have for the stuff you need overnight the last night.

LoriTX
February 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM
An extra swimsuit.....they never seem to get dry and they get smelly after a while.

oceantravel
February 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I would have to say something to kill the pain of sun poisoning from martinique last year. we were in so much pain the only thing we could fit on our feet was water shoes for formal night. Kerry our asst maitre D was great with out fitting us with loose fitting clothes for the next port of all.how embarrassing!!!a long green gown with pink water shoes!!!

The remedy...no kidding....Prepertion H Cooling Gel. It works wonders. It was recommended to me by a pharmacist years ago and I never cruise without it! :cool:

oceantravel
February 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
OK...I know you said one thing but I can't help myself. Everyone has heard this one a thousand times....but I would never, no never, leave without my over the door shoe thingy!:D

sunnydaze
February 28th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Ear plugs and "Bonamine" for motion sickness.(Just in case)

noelbows
February 28th, 2005, 04:22 AM
An Extension Cord strip.

And a nightlight.

And with a family, my over the door shoe holder.

judyf
February 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM
I have to add my 2 cents here. I read all about the over the door shoe holder and I bought one for one of our cruises. We cruise just mother and daughter in an inside cabin and we didn't really use it. We had plenty of room in the bathroom cabinet and the dresser. I also have a freedom bag I use and hang in the bathroom so I'm sure this helps.

Now if you had a family I can see were you would use it. I just wanted to add that all the tips aren't for everyone so read them all try them and you will find what works for you.

I do bring a shoe door hanger but a different type. It holds 9 pairs of shoes in clear pockets with a hanger hook on it, one shoe on each side. Hard to describe. We hang this in the closet and use it for shoes. It keeps them off the floor and out of the way. With two women in the same cabin this is valuable to us!

Another thing I don't like to cruise without are those large two gallon ziplock bags, they are great!

Woch2331
February 28th, 2005, 07:12 AM
For the bathroom and especially the shower, we take some 'suction-cup baskets' for shampoo and soap bottles. Never a good place to set anything while you're washing your hair!

Mike
_

halos
February 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm an over-packer. There has never been a time when I wished I had packed something I didn't....except on my honeymoon 23 years ago when I forgot my birth-control pills...... :eek: :eek:

L2J
February 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM
As I was getting ready to get off the ship weekend before last, I was wishing that I had another set of cruise documents :(

tdms1324
February 28th, 2005, 08:07 AM
The only thing that I slightly missed was a travel alarm clock. The wake up calls were only somewhat reliable. They worked everyday but one. Luckily it was no big deal and I woke up anyway. Ziplock bags, of assorted sizes, definitely came in handy.

Kristin

alwysonvctn
February 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Bottled water. It is so expensive on the ship. At our first port, we carried on 6 gallons we bought in port for a fraction of the price of the ships.

halos
February 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM
As I was getting ready to get off the ship weekend before last, I was wishing that I had another set of cruise documents :(

ahhhh....I feel your pain :(

PrincessJul
February 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM
One thing I always try to remember is some pain killer (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc.) and some cold medication. They take up very little space and are VERY expensive on board. I'd hate to wake up on the second day of the cruise with a head cold coming on and nothing to take.

The travel alarm clock would be great if you have an inside cabin where it's SO DARK but there has been a clock radio on the nightstand on both of our cruises.

The other thing I want to remember for next time is to take a large thermal mug. If you don't drink the foo-foo drinks and you don't buy a pop card, you have to rely on water, lemonade, ice-tea, etc. from the ship and the glasses available are small. To have a large thermal mug I could fill with ice tea to take by the pool would be ideal.

And the only other thing I can think of would be binoculars. Not for the reason you might be thinking!! But coming in to port, it would be cool to have some. Also if you see another ship close by as we often do. Also, on our last cruise we were literally in the middle of nowhere (the middle of our sea day) and I could see a very small boat floating not far from our ship. I would love to have been able to get a better look at that. We decided it must be an abandoned boat as a boat that small could not carry enough fuel to get it out that far. They would also be handy when you see dolphins or other sea life in the water near your ship as we did at breakfast a couple mornings - I would love to have gotten a closer look.

imlulu
February 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Our last 2 cruises have been with our kids. We just got off the Miracle yesterday. I forgot the lanyards for my older son and cost $5 on board. My dh got a cord from ocean players club so I used that. Next time am bringing the lanyards. I find now that kids are odler they really use them.

I also would have loved a clock. I do not wear a watch on vacation and what a pain in the middle of the night to find out the time. I am also doing the night light next time. We just kept the light on in the bathroom and left the door a crack open. We had an oceanview and closed the drapes at night so was dark in room.

I found storage excellent and did not use it all with 4 people in the room. I highly recommend the 2 gallon bags.

Marge M
February 28th, 2005, 02:19 PM
This may sound oddball, but the only thing I really wished I had brought was my daughter's violin, so she could have partipated in the kid's talent show with it. She plays really well and would have loved performing, but it was one more thing I didn't want to have to lug. After we got there I wish I had!

wigginout66
February 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I wish I had brought binoculars, a clock for the room that can be seen in the dark, and my digital camera.

This last item was left on the front passenger side floor of my car, with the new flash card I bought so I could take lots of pictures. Ah well, there's always next time.

PrairieGirl
February 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
For the ladies . . . . . EXTRA feminine hygiene products! Flights, change of altitude, activity, etc. can make things "unreliable" if you know what I mean. I spent $15 for a one day supply in the ship's gift shop.

Time2gocruzn
February 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM
great ideas! Keep em coming!

gatorclaw
February 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'll reinforce the TRAVEL ALARM CLOCK.

I had trouble one or two days with the Carnival phone alarm thing. I dunno, maybe I did it wrong, maybe it failed. whatever. The ol' alarm clock completely in my control is comforting.

Mabbiez
February 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I found one thing that was really helpful on the one cruise I've been on was a small, light-weight, over the shoulder purse. I was able to keep my room key, sunglasses, and a few other items with me at all times without worrying about what I was going to do with my purse. It was also extremely helpful during shore excursions. I went on a dolphin experience thing where we had to leave our extra items under a little bench...the purse was easy to hide under my normal clothes. :D

jessiebell
February 28th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I remembered the 45 spf sunscreen - but spent $15 for a bottle of aloe vera on ship when the sunscreen (which was 8hr waterproof and reapplied once each hour) failed my oh so sensitive skin! Well, live and burn, I mean learn. I have a lovely tan now that I am home! :o And I didn't peel thanks to liberal aloe vera applications!

ColoradoJuli
March 1st, 2005, 12:34 AM
I agree with the shoe hangie thing. This past cruise was my first one with the shoe holder. I loved it! All of my counters were clean and so was the room because odds and ends were not lying around. I put everthing in the shoe holder. Medications, make-up, blow dryer, sewing kit, battery charger, drinking bottles, water safes, razors, hair spray, etc... I will never go cruising or anywhere else without it. I am headed to Jamaica in May and plan on taking my shoe thingie with me.

The other very valuable item was the surge protector. I could plug in my razor, hair dryer, battery charger, and laptop and never run out of electricity. It was fabulous.
I can't say that there is anything that I forgot. I have been cruising for 6 years and have perfected our packing list. I know that if I pack by the list, that I will have everything that I will need.

oceantravel
March 1st, 2005, 01:45 AM
I agree with the shoe hangie thing. This past cruise was my first one with the shoe holder. I loved it! All of my counters were clean and so was the room because odds and ends were not lying around. I put everthing in the shoe holder. Medications, make-up, blow dryer, sewing kit, battery charger, drinking bottles, water safes, razors, hair spray, etc....

I think if you are only using it for your bathroom items, I agree the counters and shelves are probably enough space.

However, I as this poster said, use it for everything. I hate going through all the drawers trying to find where I put things. With the shoe holder, I can at a glance find my sunglasses, sunscreen, post it notes, zip locks, batteries, leatherman and every other thing I bring. :D

noelbows
March 1st, 2005, 04:29 AM
I think if you are only using it for your bathroom items, I agree the counters and shelves are probably enough space.

However, I as this poster said, use it for everything. I hate going through all the drawers trying to find where I put things. With the shoe holder, I can at a glance find my sunglasses, sunscreen, post it notes, zip locks, batteries, leatherman and every other thing I bring. :D

I will ditto the last two comments. I loved ours. We hung it on the outside of the bathroom door so that if the bathroom was occupied we could find what we needed without having to interrupt the occupant.

We kept sunscreen, lotion, camera, makeup, brushes, etc in there. Each person also had a compartment or two of their own that held their sunglasses and room key/S&S card. When we walked in, we put them right in the compartment. The only time we had to search for a card was when someone forgot to put it in there. SO CONVENIENT! Especially with a family. :)

MKC529
March 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
As a complete newbie (brand new to cruise critic & never been on a cruise before) these suggestions are fabulous!!

I would have never thought of some of these things on my own! I am making my list as I read! :D

Thanks again!

JudyKa
March 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I found one thing that was really helpful on the one cruise I've been on was a small, light-weight, over the shoulder purse. I was able to keep my room key, sunglasses, and a few other items with me at all times without worrying about what I was going to do with my purse. It was also extremely helpful during shore excursions. I went on a dolphin experience thing where we had to leave our extra items under a little bench...the purse was easy to hide under my normal clothes. :D

A long, waist band, money pouch to wear under your loose-fitting shirts is wonderful for this. True, it is an ugly item; but it is hidden under your feminine tees and shirts.....no biggy. LOVED mine on our first cruise....going to do the same this coming July's cruise.....yeaaaaa!

JudyD222
March 5th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Our last 2 cruises have been with our kids. We just got off the Miracle yesterday. I forgot the lanyards for my older son and cost $5 on board. My dh got a cord from ocean players club so I used that. Next time am bringing the lanyards. I find now that kids are odler they really use them.

I also would have loved a clock. I do not wear a watch on vacation and what a pain in the middle of the night to find out the time. I am also doing the night light next time. We just kept the light on in the bathroom and left the door a crack open. We had an oceanview and closed the drapes at night so was dark in room.

I found storage excellent and did not use it all with 4 people in the room. I highly recommend the 2 gallon bags.
How old are your kids? We are sailing on the Miracle 6/26/05 with two boys: 10 and 13. We're going with two other families with kids around the same age. Any suggestions or hints to share?

Thanks.

peanutzmom
March 5th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I agree I wish we'd brought a light-up travel alarm clock on our last cruise. Luckily, DH was awake early every morning, so we never missed any shore excursions.

I was going to buy one for our upcoming cruise, BUT I found out that my cell phone has an alarm on it, and the face lights up when you hit any button. So, check out your cell phones before you try to shove an alarm clock into an already overstuffed (if it looks anything like mine!) suitcase! :)

LeslieAnn1024
March 7th, 2005, 01:59 PM
< < < I was going to buy one for our upcoming cruise, BUT I found out that my cell phone has an alarm on it, and the face lights up when you hit any button. So, check out your cell phones before you try to shove an alarm clock into an already overstuffed(if it looks anything like mine!)suitcase!> > >

Remember, that when you are at sea, you won't have cell service; ergo, no alarm clock since your cell won't know "what time it is", since it won't be able to communicate with any cell tower/satellites . . . . . My cells (in 15+ cruises, I've had Sprint and Verizon, as well as my trusty Blackberry) have never been able to track time when out in the open sea; as we close in on a port, it does, but not out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe its just my service though, and others will work? Not sure, maybe someone else has more info on this than what I've experienced.

peanutzmom
March 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Remember, that when you are at sea, you won't have cell service; ergo, no alarm clock since your cell won't know "what time it is", since it won't be able to communicate with any cell tower/satellites .

WOW! That's good to know! I knew I wouldn't actually have service out there, but it never crossed my mind that the "clock" function wouldn't be working. I guess I'll make room in my suitcasr for a travel alarm clock after all! :)

Nonesuch
March 8th, 2005, 02:08 AM
For the bathroom and especially the shower, we take some 'suction-cup baskets' for shampoo and soap bottles. Never a good place to set anything while you're washing your hair!

Mike
_

Easily solved... the guys I'm going with, none of us have much (any) in the way of hair.

It's voluntary, for now.

erRN2be
March 8th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I've been reading these boards for almost a year now, and have sooo been amazed at all of the suggestions and hints available here. Makes cruising seem not as foreign to me. However,

We are 24 days out from sailing for the first time and I have started organzing my stuff and man do I have the stuff!!!!! I just don't know if I need all this stuff. Oh what to do? such a tough decision.

Chelle

judyf
March 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM
I did that the first time I read this board too. I've now narrowed it down to what we use and need and I leave the rest home.

pacerzfan
March 8th, 2005, 09:04 AM
My little tidbit....remember extra batteries for your cameras, etc. They can get costly, also get an underwater disposable camera to take pictures with my cheaper at home than on the ship or at a port.

phlydude
March 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
http://www.bubbakeg.com/

34 oz. version available (that's just a hair over 1 L to our metric friends) at your friendly neighborhood Wal-mart for $4.96

BEEZALAR
March 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure anyone mentioned walkie talkies.......they can be a life saver. we started using them 6 years ago on our first cruise. I have noticed the airways are a bit more occupied then they were 6 years ago......i quess alot of people have started using them.. but if you get ones with several channels there should be less problems.

we also use them on the road trip if we are driving more then one car.

I had a nightmare once.............that we were on the ship and forgot the walkie talkies......i couldn't find my kids anywhere, it was terrible.

twice now I dreamed that I forgot my formal dress .....sounds like I need a cruise soon.

BEEZALAR
March 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM
this thread is very useful and deserves a bump

CuplACruzrs
March 20th, 2005, 11:03 PM
this thread is very useful and deserves a bump

I agree Beezalar and I have added my compiled list from several threads. Hope it helps someone else.

Travel Bag--
Birth Certificate
passport
copy of cruise documents including boarding pass
Driver’s Licenses
Cash/Traveler’s Checks
Credit Cards
Cell Phones
Cell Phone Chargers
Pens
Highlighters
Digital Camera/Charger ? film & other camera
garbage bags
Ziplock Baggies
Medicines
contacts & stuff
flashlight small
glasses
make-up
Tylenol
Post it Notes
Power strip
Door Decorations
Laynard
books

Organization Tools for Room/Miscellaneous--
Dewrinkle spray, febreze,
Alarm Clock
Popup Mesh Laundry
Over the Door Shoe Holder
Suction Cup shampoo holder
Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer
fanny pack etc
Duct Tape
Clothes Pins
Alarm Clock
Thermal Cups
Oust disinfecting wipes (Lysol or Clorox brand)
Glade Plugin w/nitelite
Water
Prepertion H Cooling Gel. It works wonders.
something to kill the pain of sun poisoning
aloe vera
ibuprofen binoculars for dolphin spotting feminine hygiene products small, light-weight, over the shoulder purse, sewing kit, water safes, surge protector batteries,

To The Beach/Etc--
Mesh/Beach Bag cheap plastic watch that I attach to the strap of the beach tote
Bathing Suits/Coverups
Squirt Bottle
Lunch Bag (Collapsible)
Water Bottles
Lip Balm
Sunglasses
Disposable Water Camera
Sunscreen
Bug Spray (some locations need it)
Rain Panchos
Spritzer Mist Bottle (for when it gets hot)
hat

Tolietries--
Liquid Bandaid
Hand Sanitizer (and maybe lysol)
Makeup Bag moisturizer Qtips
Jewlery
Brush
Toothbrushes & paste, floss mouthwash
nail polish & remover
Razor/Shaving Creams, blades
Deodorant
Hand Sanitizer
Flat Iron, steamer
Shampoo, Hair dryer, brushes
Bath and Body Works
Soap

Clothes--
PJs
jackets purse
Shirts (Hers) Shirts (His)
Pants (Hers) Pants (His)
Shorts/Capri Pants (Hers) Shorts (His)
Underwear (Hers) Underwear (His)
Socks (Hers) Socks (His)
Formal Wear (Hers) Formal Wear (His) ? slip
Shoes (Hers) Shoes (His) sandals, dress shoes, walking shoes
Swimsuits and coverups
2 Fuji underwater disposables and they were $7.99 on sale. Make sure the film is 800 speed - they usually are, it's the best for underwater clarity

I took a collapsible cooler with me on my last cruise and a whole suitcase of water and soda. Our room stewart filled our cooler with ice for us every morning. the suitcase I used to bring the water/soda will be used on the trip home for all the souvenirs

Pack items like your swimwear and undergarments in ziplocs. I also pack tshirts and shorts this way by rolling the outfit together, place in ziploc, squeeze the air out, toss into the suitcase. The ziplocs come in handy later for soiled clothing.

You definitely want something more solid than that if you're going to give it to the porters to deliver. All the luggage gets thrown in a pile then up the conveyor belt onto the ship. You'll probably have a 'pile' of clothes in that plastic sleeve by the time you get it.... you'd probably want a good luggage garment bag if you're going to use it as checked baggage.
carry our hanging garment bag as carry-on luggage. We put our formal clothes in them, along with the shoes.

bring along a change of each type of clothes as well as swim suits in our carry-ons just in case our luggage doesn't make it.

Word of caution using garment bags. Made the mistake once of using metal hangars. DH's jacket and hangar fell off the safety tab inside and hangar put a hole in his jacket sleeve. I've learned to put duct tape around the end of hangars to make sure they won't puncture our clothes or poke holes in our luggage.

contact my bank before traveling and let them know to expect out of town charges to appear and from what areas.

BLAST in the disco and Doc Hollywoods. We enjoyed the Martini Happy Hour before our late dinner seating.

Our tablemates did the 4x4 Tropical safari and really enjoyed that. Lots of friends have raved about the Passion Island Adventure. That is Carnival's own island and only cruisers are there. They say it is gorgeous and the food is wonderful!

If you're looking to do something on your own in Cozumel, I recommend Paradise Beach. It's a short taxi ride from the pier. We took a cruise group there and some parasailed, some rode a banana boat. There was lots of room, plenty comfy lounges with umbrellas and the waiters took excellent care of the group. The food was great too.

Ofcourse there is Carlos 'N Charlies in Cozumel as well as Senor Frogs, if you're looking for a fun party place on your own too.

On the last day before reaching port on our recent cruise, DH became extremely ill. Vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, achy muscles, the whole nine yards. Higured it was food poisoning but these days who knows? We had not had the same food the night before and I showed no symptoms. Myself, I was feeling the effects of a very rough sea, but that's entirely different. I can't tell you what a feeling of helplessness I had, knowing we had to pack and get ourselves home the next day and both feeling so totally rotten. Home seemed a million miles away! He refused to go to the Infirmary (I guess it's a guy thing:p). I finally convinced him to take some Traveler's Friend that I had brought with me from home. It's a citricidal, used to purify water. Within a little over an hour, he was feeling so much better that we were able to order room service, get the packing done and feel a glimmer of hope to get actually be able to get home! By then the seas had calmed too, so I was feeling much better as well.

I would never EVER leave home for a cruise now without my Friend. It's also known as grapefruit seed extract. It is mixed with water and tastes horrible, but it will clear up GI problems when nothing else will. No, I don't sell this stuff or have any connection to it in any way other than knowing this stuff works wonders both at home and on a cruise!

Also, remember that there are two cocktail parties, one for the early seatings, as well as one for the late crowd. Nothing stops you from going to both!

Not to sure if this is a big secret but if you have the souvernier glass you can order any frozen drink as a refill not just the drink of the day. They do charge you the price of the other frozen drink you ordered but you get it in the bigger glass.

bring lots of $1 and $5 bills for tipping cab drivers, porters, and to have the exact change when bartering at the straw markets and stores in port.

you can order room service sandwiches to take on excursions with you, just take some ziplock baggies with you. This is especially helpful if you have a delicate tummy or picky kids.

Don't forget the power strip and extension cord, only one outlet in each cabin.

Check the Capers ... towards the end of the week the Internet use is cheaper. Also, sales are at the end of the cruise

gr81
March 20th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Things I WILL be taking and wished I had in the past:
Outlet adapter (never enough outlets)
extra shirts (first cruise, only took 3 including formal) long story
an extra bag (happen to buy in the gift shop first cruise)
my pda (its my book, mp3 player, translater, currency converter,
and game to play while waiting to debark)

As for the clock radio, we bought the smallest Clock radio/CD player we could find. Its nice to put something light on to mask the pitterpatter of others stumbling to their cabins while trying to sleep.

TamaraApp
March 22nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
The walkie talkies are GREAT for parents to keep track of their kids; but what if their kids are grown adults? hahaha love ya mom!

MOMMY "J"
March 22nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
more beer and liquor to make our sign and sail card bill cheaper

Palomar
March 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Birth Certificate
passport

Great list! Just wondered though....if you have a passport, a birth certificate is not really needed, right??

MOMMY "J"
March 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
right...just passports will do...but i did take my drivers lic. when we got off ports...we had to have two form of ids...i did not want to travel off the boat carry my passport around

Time2gocruzn
March 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Replying to my own question now that I am back, lol.

I wish I would have brought my own pop.

I drink a lot of diet coke. I knew I wouldn't be buying much as far as souviners and junk, so I thought I would splurge and get the soda card. Boy, was I disappointed. Every bartender at every bar fills a small cup FULL with ice. Then they open a can of pop and pour it in the glass. Between the size of the cup and all the ice, you probably get half a can of pop if you are lucky. They won't give you the rest of the can and they won't give you more than one glass at a time. They also leave the open can behind the bar for the next person who comes and orders the same kind. I got many pops that were flat, I am guessing because they sat open so long. The bartenders were really slow too. If I were to try and get as much pop as I usually drink, or even $50 bucks worth (cost of the card) it would have been a full time project. PLUS coke is like my coffee and the bars don't open till 9, and the bars are the only place you can get pop. What a BIG waste of $$. Oh yeah don't fall for the red tumbler with a lid they are selling with a carnival/coca cola logo on it. It is like $5 if you purchase a soda card and they will fill it at any bar. I bought it because I thought it would hold more that the bar cups, it didn't, it actually held LESS:mad:

I didn't want to hassle with dragging on my own pop because we were traveling with small kids and all their stuff, but you can bet next time I will figure out a way to bring my own, lol.:D

Palomar
March 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Replying to my own question now that I am back, lol.

I wish I would have brought my own pop.

I drink a lot of diet coke. I knew I wouldn't be buying much as far as souviners and junk, so I thought I would splurge and get the soda card. Boy, was I disappointed. Every bartender at every bar fills a small cup FULL with ice. Then they open a can of pop and pour it in the glass. Between the size of the cup and all the ice, you probably get half a can of pop if you are lucky. They won't give you the rest of the can and they won't give you more than one glass at a time. They also leave the open can behind the bar for the next person who comes and orders the same kind. I got many pops that were flat, I am guessing because they sat open so long. The bartenders were really slow too. If I were to try and get as much pop as I usually drink, or even $50 bucks worth (cost of the card) it would have been a full time project. PLUS coke is like my coffee and the bars don't open till 9, and the bars are the only place you can get pop. What a BIG waste of $$. Oh yeah don't fall for the red tumbler with a lid they are selling with a carnival/coca cola logo on it. It is like $5 if you purchase a soda card and they will fill it at any bar. I bought it because I thought it would hold more that the bar cups, it didn't, it actually held LESS:mad:

I didn't want to hassle with dragging on my own pop because we were traveling with small kids and all their stuff, but you can bet next time I will figure out a way to bring my own, lol.:D

Do you know how much it is to order a coke at a bar? And do they charge you at dinner for a coke? I'm rethinking the card....the last time it was $39. TIA.

chefdeedee
March 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Just got back from cruise on PRincess - was glad I brought following:

Lanyards - had them left over from Disney/Epcot - they were very popular
Power STrip and Extension Cords - very handy
Brita portable Water Filter, and Emply Water Bottles, we filled up every day, and saved lots of money.

Time2gocruzn
March 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Do you know how much it is to order a coke at a bar? And do they charge you at dinner for a coke? I'm rethinking the card....the last time it was $39. TIA.

Hmm..Not sure but I want to say it was like $1.50 or $1.75. You do have to pay for a coke in the dining room. A guy will come around and ask if you want anything from the bar and if you get a coke he brings it and you have to sign for it. Unless you have a lot of time to walk to the bar and wait for your coke, I would not recommend this card, lol. We ate on lido alot and I would go get my food and then walk clear to the bar to get my coke and would always have to wait. By the time I got it and walked back to my place I was lucky if my food was still warm. Yes I could of got my coke first, but still...it was just a hassle all the way around.

MOMMY "J"
March 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Do you know how much it is to order a coke at a bar? And do they charge you at dinner for a coke? I'm rethinking the card....the last time it was $39. TIA.GET THE COKE CARD...THEY CHARGED MY HUBBY $1.50 AT THE BAR FOR A COKE....JUST TAKE SOME WITH YOU ON TH BOAT...NO BODY CARES:)

southbayer
March 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM
cell phone and Charger, to use when your docked or need to call a family member while still on ship.... Hair gel, shower slippers, deodorant, toothbrush/paste, comb/brush, extra pairs of socks, dollar bills for room service personnel, carpet fresh powder for that fresh springy scent, and most importantly, pack an Open Mind, realize that 100% of the people will NOT get 100% satisfaction on board, this is inevitable when your dealing with 100's of passengers at a time, so quit whinning already, LOL :D

ahoys
March 27th, 2005, 08:03 PM
On our last two cruises, we remembered to bring room deodorizer (actually, it was for the hotel room the night before the cruise, but we brought it onboard). I brought the kind that uses a battery and has a fan. It was very pleasant and a welcome scent when entering the room. The bonus is that when I use the same deodorizer now, it brings back the smell of our cruise.

Cruise Collection: Costa Flavia – 6/81; NCL Sunward II – 7/84, Holiday – 7/86; Celebration – 6/88, 7/92; Jubilee – 7/89; Fantasy – 7/90, 10/97, 11/00, 5/04; Ecstasy – 7/91, 1/94, 6/96, 10/98; NCL Sunward – 3/92; Carnivale – 10/92; Regent Rainbow – 3/93; Monarch of the Seas – 7/93; Tropicale – 7/95; Sensation – 6/99; Paradise – 5/00, 9/03; Imagination – 6/01; Carnival Victory – 3/02; Carnival Miracle – 11/04

lil nemo
March 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
You know how it is when you go on vacation and after arriving you think "Oh cr*p! I wish I would have brought _______ !!!"

What is one item tht you forgot and wished you had...or one item you will not cruise without. Looking for things other than the obvious like signifigant other, underwear, sunscreen, LOL. More $$ is a given, I guess. You get the idea! (for kids or adults)

Just finished packing....I THINK....and want to avoid any "oh cr*p" moments.;)
I wish I had packed Lighter, and brought more money!! thats it! too many lists make a vaction not much like a vacation, more like a directive!!!!! lol

PlanningToCruise
March 28th, 2005, 10:17 PM
We are 24 days out from sailing for the first time and I have started organzing my stuff and man do I have the stuff!!!!! I just don't know if I need all this stuff. Oh what to do? such a tough decision.

Chelle
if your cruising with other's maybe get together and share some items. My sister and I are going w/ our dh's, we've decided we'll each take certain things. Like I'll take tylenol, she'll take the cold/sinus med, I'll take sunscreen, she'll take aloe vera, etc. Yea it won't save on much space but hey every little bit helps:)

Ellya
March 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM
More than one sweater. I had to wear the same one every night.

Time2gocruzn
April 15th, 2005, 11:19 PM
bumped for another poster :D)

Valentinecruiser
April 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Don't forget the cord to keep your sunglasses from falling off....I've seen people lose their $ sunglasses in the ocean.
:( IF you've never used one, they work great!

kellygurl
April 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM
what are the ziploc bags used for?

The only thing that I slightly missed was a travel alarm clock. The wake up calls were only somewhat reliable. They worked everyday but one. Luckily it was no big deal and I woke up anyway. Ziplock bags, of assorted sizes, definitely came in handy.

Kristin

WellesleyIslander
April 20th, 2005, 03:02 PM
what are the ziploc bags used for?
You can use them for your wet swimsuit when packing to come home. We also packed some sandwiches, chips, and cookies from room service to take with us when we went into the ports.

phlydude
April 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Putting wet clothes in, storing room service food for day trips, keeping jewelry in, keeping belongings together in a bag, keeping belonings dry in the water, etc.

phinfan63
April 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Ziploc bags come in handy for alot of things. Wet things, open toiletries thay may leak, open bottles of smuggled booze, etc... the 2 gallon size are big enough for alot of things

clownphish
April 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM
ziploc baggies - used for lots of different stuff

as far as the coke card goes - take a suitcase full of your own cokes(rolling suitcase - take as carry-on so no leaks) We recently took an entire small suitcase of Dr. Peppers (which are NOT served on board), canned beer, and bottled water. Nobody ever questioned it. I guarantee you I saw more people walking around with their own canned drinks than purchased ones!

Don't forget you drink snugglers/coozies to help keep things cool in the hot sun!

I wished I had a small purse to fit sungalsses, camera, and S&S and room cards in for raoming the boat!

Extra swimsuits and a couple of beach towels (used these to "pad" my suitcase full 'o drinks!)

Your most comfy shoes!

A travel pillow for laying in the sun.

Headphones, extra batteries, and your favorite cd's.

And, mostly of all, don't forget your sense of humor, and PATIENCE!

lhasa2go
April 23rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but to if you forget a travel alarm clock and happen to bring your cell phone, use the alarm on that instead. It ended up working just fine for me. The phone never worked (thank God, but the alarm on it was a blessing).

phlydude
April 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM
My phone doesn't show time unless it is in service range so that won't work for me!!

my3kids
April 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi
Just had to post here - just back last week from Fascination - loved it!

I FORGOT - my cell phone charger - granted I could not use the phone once we left port - however - I wanted to call and check on my kiddies - but the phone was DEAD - so when we returned to Miami - I had to use the pay phone - UGHGHGH! - Goodness - what a luxury to NOT have to touch those nasty things!
I also forgot my deodorant - :confused: - whaaatt? Yep I did - so I had to buy a travel version in Key West that was not what normally worked for me - but I got through it.;)

I packed but did not use my extension cord - the outlet was ver convenient at the "dresser" area - where I did my hair anyway. I thought it was very convenient. Maybe just me.

I took a fairly big sling/backpack as my "purse" to use in travel - but when we did dinner - I used a small purse that was black that matched ALL of my evening outfits. For out and about on the ship and our days at port - I used a fannypack that held camera, cards, money, etc. I know - 2 extra things to pack - but my DH did not have to worry about carrying anything except for room key - cause I HAD it all!!! Just our way of working it. Keep in mind we had no kiddies with us either:D - so we stuck together like PB & J!

Just my .02.........

Oh - yeah and ditto the packing patience and a sense of humor.......a MUST!

kujobie
April 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM
My phone doesn't show time unless it is in service range so that won't work for me!!

What type of phone do you have. I work in the business and have never heard of a phone where the tools, games, clock, etc. did not work unless you were receiving a signal. Your phone is either defective or it's a dinosaur. Either way, it's probably time to upgrade.

LynnA
April 24th, 2005, 06:05 PM
A pair of dark colored socks for formal night. I had to wear white ones with suit. Fely kind of strange.

shelliiee
April 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
A nightlite!:)

phlydude
April 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM
What type of phone do you have. I work in the business and have never heard of a phone where the tools, games, clock, etc. did not work unless you were receiving a signal. Your phone is either defective or it's a dinosaur. Either way, it's probably time to upgrade.

I have a Samsung A500 and it is on the Sprint Network. Sprint has never allowed the phones that I have ever had in 8+ years with them to run on their own internal clocks. Everytime there is a DST change, the network sets the clocks. I can get games and tools to work but since the clock needs the network to sync itself, the alarm won't work. Just get the "Seaching for Service..." display.

Just curious, you say you're in the business, what company?
As for the "...defective or it's a dinosaur. Either way, it's probably time to upgrade." comment, sounds typical of someone hawking phones in the mall :p :D
When I upgrade my phone, it will be out of contract to avoid having to tack on another year onto my current plan.:rolleyes:

lhasa2go
April 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Actually that's not true - the alarm works on a cell phone, trust me, I used it. As long as the battery is charged, the phone keeps it's own time. You do not need a cell tower to tell you what time it is. I had no service the entire cruise, but the alarm went off every morning.

DMgirl
April 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I think you just have to set your phone for airplane mode or whatever for the clock to work. It won't change time zones, but it will keep the time anyway..and your alarm should work also.

blackwing
April 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I noticed a lot of people said to bring a night light. We never bring along a night light, we just leave the bathroom light on and close the bathroom door to a slight crack.

I forgot to bring flip flops or slippers to walk around the room in and had to wear my boat shoes. Forgot to bring a long sleeve T-shirt as sometimes it gets chilly. Forgot our cell phone charger. Forgot to bring cold medicine.

Plastic grocery bags are great for dirty clothes. Ziploc bags are great for many reasons.

Runitsajellyfish
April 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I learned a valuable lesson this last cruise; take proper quantities of consumables. We didn't FORGET to bring any specific item, but we RAN OUT OF deodorant, sunscreen, ibuprofen, pepto, conditioner....
Don't forget, you'll probably be taking 2 showers/day, eating more, and using the restroom more.
:o Important Tip: Baby wipes are much "gentler" than toilet tissue, pack plenty.

phlydude
April 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I am there with you on the baby wipes. Also, there is a product out there call Sphincterine. Adult wipe that clean and deodorize there :eek:

esj
April 28th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Have you gone on your cruise?
Did you pack the right stuff? I am getting ready for a trip in July, 05 - am in the same boat, what do I pack???? E

ms.sunburn
April 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I wish I had brought more sunscreen. It wasn't cheap on the ship or in port.

More quick-dry, lightweight shorts with lots of pockets so you don't need to haul a purse or bag with you around the ship.

Things I brought that I didn't use:
Flashlight, over the door shoe thingy (just got in the way--ziplock bags worked better), garment steamer (there are irons on board in the laundry room).

ms.sunburn
April 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM
One more thing I forgot to add to my last post...warm nightclothes. It was cool in our cabin and we couldn't turn the air conditioning off all the way.

esj
May 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks, that helps - last cruise I forgot my sunscreen and tanning lotion - I refused to buy any on the ship :>(
I am thinking of buying a travel iron - on the last two ships there were no laundry rooms and the cleaners was expensive.

CandB
May 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM
We were on the Valor on April 3rd-10th and we had a great time. IMHO the best thing to do is to print off one of the packing lists that someone has already done and go thru it with a pen and mark off the things that you really need(power bar,sunscreen, toothbrush, etc) and eliminate the things that you won't use(Crockpot). We did use our clear plastic over-the-door shoe thingy and will probably never cruise again without it. All that time you take searching for little things(sewing kit, binochulars, film, tweezers, sunscreen,etc) are easily accessable and close at hand.:D BTW...the Valor was awesome and we had a great time. Favorite port: Costa Maya-Majuhaul(sp:confused: ) and Roatan Island. Would return tomorrow if we could afford it.

CandB

Oh yeah, we forgot to mention...pick up a couple of $3.00 rain panchos from Walmart and keep them in your backpack while on your shore excursions...we got caught in a tremendous downpour a few cruises back and will never go again without them.

KBAJ
May 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Just got off the Carnival Triumph and wish I had brought my own hair blow dryer. Yes, there is one in the bathroom BUT it is very old and without much power. I can't even imagine trying to dry long hair with it. Also, it is attached to THE BATHROOM WALL. So, if someone else is using the bathroom, you are out of luck till they finish their shower (or whatever) and then the bathroom is SOOO humid (or whatever) who wants to be trying to dry their hair there???

bardgal
May 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Since I have cruised so many times, I got cocky, and last cruise I packed at the last minute, not really thinking about it, and forgot SUNSCREEN, and an evening bag.

In the words of Stewie from Family Guy - "IMBICILE!"

Ms Belvedere
May 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Zip Lock Baggies:
We carry extras of all sizes for all kinds of items.
1. Shells or Sand you want to bring back from the beach.
2. Sliced lemons and limes for drinks in your room (zip them and drop into your ice bucket.)
3. Put your camera in one before leaving for port or excursions. Keeps the camera away from wet towels, bathing suits, or dry in a rain storm. I carry a beach bag and the camera gets tossed in with everything else in port.
4. I keep a ziplock baggie in my beach bag filled with Eye Drops (contact lens wearer), small suntan lotion, lipstick and vaseline for lips, kleenex, pack of antibacterial hand wipes, breath mints, pen and pad of paper, pony tail holder.
5. Each of our pass ports is in a zip lock. Last cruise my husband's water bottle cap was loose in his back back. :eek: It was filled with tea and soaked everything but the camera and his passport. :cool:
6. I've started packing all of my clothes in baggies too, the same way people use space bags. I can fit two pairs of shorts in a 2 gallon size bag, tank tops go into the 1 gallon size. All casual clothes go into baggies and come out without a wrinkle.

Zip Lock Bags - Millions of Uses!

kathalinamarie
May 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I am going to carefully check my traveling medicine cabinet before I leave next time. It was not that these things were expensive at the ship store, it was rather that they did not have them! I cut my leg on some coral in St. Thomas and ended up with aasty infection because I had no antibiotic ointment. I developed a bit of a cough and suffered because there was no cough medicine to be had. Forgot my razor and tweezers too. The ship store did not have any but the most disgusting disposables that would have eaten my legs up! Had a couple days leg growth until we got to St. Thomas where they had a relatively decent drug store. Although I did pay an arm and a leg. I did, however, see crew members returning to the ship with KMart bags in St. Thomas. I think if I had not been so tired from my day I would have meandered in that direction for the stuff I forgot. So, the only things that I really wish I had were simple and did not take up much room.

My mantra for my next trip is to leave half the clothes at home. Even though laundry is expensive on the ship, I would rather re-wear my favorites than have the good stuff dirty and wear the second string, so to speak. Also took 3 bathing suits last time, which was a great idea. Hate putting on a wet suit. I also think I will simplify my formal wear by taking one basic black dress and adding two different shawls with different hair accessories. I really like the look, it is comfortable and I don't need all the other stuff.

kathalinamarie
May 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Twice in as many trips my bags have been searched and I also had to rearrange contents of bags when one came in overweight. I was so glad I had packed using space bags. When my carryon was searched because I had a scuba regulator that apparently could be used for a weapon, the TSA official did not have to paw through my underwear because everything was encased in plastic. Much more pleasant for all concerned I think. It does make repacking dirty stuff easier as well. I also use zip locks for all of my toiletries. Never have to worry about shampoo leaking all over everything.

esj
May 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Great ideas for the use of Zip Lock bags - thanks!

4tune8
May 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
An extra night light bulb. On the first night my bulb blew. We ended up leaving the bathroom door open just a bit.

Crazy glue. On the second day the frame on my prescription sun glasses got cracked and I was able to find some at a CVS in Key West. Doubt I would have found any at the gift shops in Mexico!

DallasCruisers
August 17th, 2005, 06:01 PM
One of the most helpful threads EVER. Thanks, I'm making a list.

Chucksta63
August 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM
The other deck of credit cards...LOL

mc'smom
August 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
The other deck of credit cards...LOL

Good one !

depotma
August 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I always pack the highlighter pen to mark the capers so we don't miss anything. And everything goes in Ziplocs

atlcple2
August 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I'm packing today as well for the 4 of us and I'm exhausted!! I have six TYPED pages of stuff on my list and very little of it is even clothes!! I just don't see how people are able to cruise with just bringing on a carryon bag!! I was stunned when I read that thread. They must wear the same thing everyday and just skip formal nights.

After 3 cruises, we are doing just that on the Caribbean Princess on 9/3! We we are each taking 1 - 21" carry on that is on rollers and a handle and 1-regular bag carry on. I am so excited that I got all my things in the 21" bag!!! The last 3 cruises, I took way to many clothes and shoes so this time I am taking a lot less...3 pairs of pants with 6 shirts (one pair being black lace for formal night), one pair of shorts, one skirt, 2 pair of dress sandles and 2 bathing suits...and of course the normal stuff like underware. But that's pretty much it! We won't have to check luggage at the airport or at the port. Very excited!

jcs56
August 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM
If you are prone to cold sores bring the Abreva....many people get them when in the sun alot. That stuff is expensive and who knows if you would find it. One of our CC friends had a whole bunch of them last year on a cruise and she felt so horrible; they can really make you sick. At least with the Abreva you can get over them quicker
Also a sweatshirt....late at night on the Lido (like after Cozumel) it gets chilly. I bought a Carnival sweatshirt last year, and plan on bringing it with me.

beverland
August 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Clothes pins to hold the shower curtain taunt!

I HATE it when the shower curtain wraps around me while in the shower!! :(

BUDLIGHT
August 18th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Aspirn, Advil, Tylenol

No Excuses:d

momofzeke
August 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Didn't bring sweatshirts, and ended up buying some while onboard because it was CHILLY the first day at sea.

DID NOT use the over-the-door shoe hanger.

Took flashlights AND taplights ~ next time will only take 1 or the other.

BUDLIGHT
August 18th, 2005, 02:20 PM
READING GLASSES:mad:

Bookbug53
August 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
After 3 cruises, we are doing just that on the Caribbean Princess on 9/3! We we are each taking 1 - 21" carry on that is on rollers and a handle and 1-regular bag carry on. I am so excited that I got all my things in the 21" bag!!!

Are you allowed 2 carry-ons per person for the plane? I thought you were limited to 1 carry-on and 1 personal item such as a purse.

cabowabo1106
August 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
what did you put your gear in? Backpack?

Princesskiki
August 23rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
These are awesome suggestions! I'm making my list now!

But I would only be missing one thing... George Clooney. Any idea where to get him?? ;)

SUDABAY
August 23rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
Forget the night light, just leave the light on in the bathroom and the door ajar.
A small travel alarm clock is an asset when you take an afternoon nap and a penlight helps you see what time it is - inside cabins are really dark!
Cheap plastic ponchos - wear them and throw them away.
Maps from AAA. They have them for everywhere in the world!
A gag thingie for the dinner table - a red foam nose - fake glasses with big eyebrows and a mustache - a small flashing light to drop into a glass of water. Have a bit of fun!

Cruzin!!!!!
August 24th, 2005, 12:28 AM
We will take our first cruise on the Miracle Sept 11th this year!!! Thank you all so much for your great ideas!!! I would have never thought of an alarm clock!! They come standard in hotel rooms!!! Thanks again:)

Shauna Petersen

Carnival Miracle 9/11/05

DebbieB65
August 24th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Bigger Pants

babywewe
August 24th, 2005, 12:53 AM
hahaha yes... bring pat pants ...something with elastic

hanger you get from the drycleaners ...there light weight and you can throw them away when your done.

air freshner (can or hanging tree) , highlighter to highlight daily activity sheet (espeically if your sailing with NCL) , pen and paper to write down what you did each day/journal

Catrin
August 24th, 2005, 05:18 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned....

especially for Mom's bringing thier kids.... is a POP UP Mesh Hamper. This was great, and now a staple on every vacation. It folds flat in your suitcase and is perfect for storing dirty clothes.... and then dragging them to the laundry room!

It fits perfectly in one of the closets.... keeping dirties neat and away from everything else!

And>> a Mesh Beach Bag...... I have one from Old Navy that I used to carry my beach towel and "stuff" to the Ports and to the pool daily.

Also.. some repeats from what was mentioned.....
Lanyard
Mug for Lemonade and Water
Ponchos
Ziploc Bags
Alarm Clock
Medicines, Aloe
Digital Camera Memory

Catrin

Leo Jay
August 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
:o Important Tip: Baby wipes are much "gentler" than toilet tissue, pack plenty.

Good idea, but does anyone know whether these are these ok to flush? I was recently informed that with some plumbing systems, even certain types of tissues can be a problem (e.g. the Puffs with lotion). Surprised me, but that's right from the plumber's mouth. I always knew about paper towels, but tissues?

Fern Crest
August 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Good idea, but does anyone know whether these are these ok to flush? I was recently informed that with some plumbing systems, even certain types of tissues can be a problem (e.g. the Puffs with lotion). Surprised me, but that's right from the plumber's mouth. I always knew about paper towels, but tissues?

::sheepish grin:: Okay, I admit it. :o

I'm a toilet paper snob.

That shreddable, flimsy film that Carnival puts in the bathrooms is just horrendous! On the Paradise we all suffered through it (no pun intended, ew!), but I brought two rolls of The Good Stuff onto the Legend.

Yes, those flushable wipes are actually flushable. Just don't try to use the baby wipes or wet wipe brands that don't specifically say "flushable". I would assume the same about the more luxurious facial tissues. If they aren't designed to flush, then don't.

volvomom1
August 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I packed an extension cord, but we should have brought a small alarm clock....It would have been a lifesaver

Leo Jay
August 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM
::sheepish grin:: Okay, I admit it. :o

I'm a toilet paper snob.

That shreddable, flimsy film that Carnival puts in the bathrooms is just horrendous! On the Paradise we all suffered through it (no pun intended, ew!), but I brought two rolls of The Good Stuff onto the Legend.

Yes, those flushable wipes are actually flushable. Just don't try to use the baby wipes or wet wipe brands that don't specifically say "flushable". I would assume the same about the more luxurious facial tissues. If they aren't designed to flush, then don't.

Oh, thanks for the heads up -- I didn't realize the in-house toilet paper was that, um... crappy.

What specific brands of baby wipes should I look for?

phlydude
August 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I get at BJs Wholesale Club their in house brand of "Toddler Wipes". They are cheap, flushable and come in a box of 6 or 8 - 40 count packs.
The key to the wipes is to clean up first with the TP and then follow-up with the wipe after two or three TP wipes to get all the remnants that are left behind.
Anytime that you are going to be active and away from the comforts of home, these should come along, including land excursions or away from cruising, theme park trips. Let's just say that after 5 or 6 hours in the tropical sun, the FL everglades aren't the only thing that is swampy....

pcakes2
August 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Although you can get envelopes from the purser's desk, I bring my own thank you notes/envelopes for extra gratuties.

NimSum
August 24th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry I forgot:

Highlighter. Missed many shows because of it
An extra under water disposable camera.
Clothespins

Glad I brought:
Laundry detergent + Fabric softeners + 2 rolls of quarters
Iron
Hair Dryer
Magnets for balcony door.
Surge protector.

bigbratt
August 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Business cards.. I just finished printing out some to take on our 9/3 cruise on the Glory. We always meet the greatest people on a cruise and it's great to have a card to exchange addresses, etc. Better than writing it on a piece of paper that usually gets thrown away. We've kept in touch with many that we have cruised with before. Love all your ideas. Ziplock's I couldn't live without. Especially the 2 gallon size.

kwokpot
August 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I get at BJs Wholesale Club their in house brand of "Toddler Wipes". They are cheap, flushable and come in a box of 6 or 8 - 40 count packs.
The key to the wipes is to clean up first with the TP and then follow-up with the wipe after two or three TP wipes to get all the remnants that are left behind.
Anytime that you are going to be active and away from the comforts of home, these should come along, including land excursions or away from cruising, theme park trips. Let's just say that after 5 or 6 hours in the tropical sun, the FL everglades aren't the only thing that is swampy....
The name brand toilet tissue companies all make flushable wet toilet tissue wipes, and generally packaged 40-50 in a package for about $3-4.

have found, though, one of the best values was Target brand 'Toddler Wipes' in the blue & green package ( They are in the Baby section nest to the diapers and normal baby wipes); they are the best value @ about $1.27 for 48 wipes. REMEMBER, these are NOT baby wipes; 99% of baby wipes are not flsuable, meaning that they won't breakdown right away, and cause clogging problems.You have to make very sure that whatever brand you buy states they are flushable.

Thanks for the tip, Phlydude, I will have to checkout BJ's next time for their wipes; didn't know they had flushable stuff.

halos
August 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM

:eek:
TMI Phillydude, TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

halos
August 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I am there with you on the baby wipes. Also, there is a product out there call Sphincterine. Adult wipe that clean and deodorize there :eek:

LOL!! I'm cracking up here Dude!!!! You're a regular azzzexpert!!!! :D

Tralynn222
August 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I apologize if someone mentioned this, but I WISH we had brought this on our honeymoon cruise. We went to "Jungle Beach Day" in Mexico and on this particular day we arrived at the beach after a hard rain. Well, with the rain and humidity in the middle of the Jungle, there were so many mosquitoes they could've carried us away. There was nowhere to purchase insect repellant but thankfully the bartender lent us his. We of course tipped him handsomely, but our day could've seriously been ruined if it weren't for him.

Needless to say, I will never cruise without it again.

phlydude
August 24th, 2005, 04:46 PM
LOL!! I'm cracking up here Dude!!!! You're a regular azzzexpert!!!! :D
www dot mintya$$ dot com (substitue the $$ with ss)

I've coined a little thing I like to call T.P.A. - Theme park a--
August in Disney World in line behind someone who is wearing clothes not suited to the hot, humid Florida heat after using the facilites...TPA
The best part is that you can say "TPA" and no one is the wiser...

DALSAL
August 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM
travel alarm clock??? I cant sleep for fear Im going to miss something! If Im on your ship,I will give you a wake up call for a small fee (foo foo drink will do)!

I bring along the disposeable toliet seat covers just in case! Never know if you HAVE to use one of the bathrooms in port! Dot

airhead22
August 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
This thread has really gone to pot!! hehehe

Sara Bella
August 25th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Someting good to bring that I have found if you are in a balcony cabin is the travel size liquid Tide. It is great to wash out the salty sea from your bathing suits and just let them hang to dry out on the balcony chairs. Also comes in handy if you bring a stain stick for all those little mishaps and then you can use your liquid detergent to get the stain out instead of waiting to get back home or spending extra on laundry. I'm sure laundry isn't much $, but this has always come in handy on my past cruises. Don't forget the antibacterial gel to wash hands in port where there may not be clean water nearby. I've never had to bring the shoe hanger along. There has always been enuff space for everything I bring. I read somewhere on here to bring post-it notes. This was a great idea. This way you can leave notes for others in your cabin, i.e. where to meet and when. Or also for your attendant to bring you those extra ice buckets or whatever it maybe when you aren't going to be in your cabin all day. BTW, whoever thought of this thead--- Thanks, it has been very helpful in helping me pack for my next cruise 9/3/05. Hope all the hurricanes go away!

thunderbird1
August 25th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I will ditto the last two comments. I loved ours. We hung it on the outside of the bathroom door so that if the bathroom was occupied we could find what we needed without having to interrupt the occupant.

We kept sunscreen, lotion, camera, makeup, brushes, etc in there. Each person also had a compartment or two of their own that held their sunglasses and room key/S&S card. When we walked in, we put them right in the compartment. The only time we had to search for a card was when someone forgot to put it in there. SO CONVENIENT! Especially with a family. :)

OMG! I finally get it! I kept reading about everyone bringing these hangers and thought, what, has everyone turned into Imelda Marcos? The cruise is only 7 days long--how many shoes could they possibly need? I never got it that you use the shoe hanger for things other than shoes. Duh. :o

You have just made our next cruise infinitely more enjoyable. Trying to organize everything for a family of 4 (2 of whom think everything (including my more-valuable-than-gold S&S card) is a toy) is next to impossible. And having plenty of counter space is no help when the shorties grab everything and either fling it around the room or shove it aside to make room for their stuff. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

hjlanda22
August 25th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Garbage bags, I like the new hefty bags that strech, I used them for dirity clothes, I did our own laundry on the ship and this worked out for me.... PLUS it will seperate your clean clothes from your dirity when you get home... I had forgotten detugent when I went though I had to waste my PRESIOUS quarters (that I won in the casino) on tide.....

KMSCRUISER
August 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I felt like I was having a conversation with my family at the dinner table.
Butt Wipes, farts, and our daily cycle is always a conversation piece! ha ha:D

Just to add to the list.....

Small bottle of Woolite to wash your skivies if you run out. (helps keep the smell away from your bathing suite also) Who actually wants to do laundry on vacation???

Clothes Pins - My husband almost lost his Bathing suit last year b/c he hung it out on a chair on the balcony to dry. (breezy day)

Fold up travel Bag - for those compulsive shoppers. You can get one at WAlmart for $11.00 that folds flat and zips up smaller than a sheet of paper. It was a life saver for us.

Leo Jay
August 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
have found, though, one of the best values was Target brand 'Toddler Wipes' in the blue & green package ( They are in the Baby section nest to the diapers and normal baby wipes); they are the best value @ about $1.27 for 48 wipes.

Sweet! Picked up these flushable wipes last night. What a bargain!

Happy ks
August 25th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd like to comment that you really should not flush those "flushable" wipes down the toilet while onboard a ship. Don't even take your own toilet paper. Unless you don't mind having your cabin and most of them around you, flooded with raw sewage. The sewage system onbaord a ship is very sensitive, they ask that you use nothing other than the toilet paper provided. If you need to use those wipes, discard them in the trash can.

I always look for things I can do without, rather than adding to the pile of "stuff". I find the ships to be quite sophisticated and provide for my needs.

One thing I have learned (the hard way) to always carry is our cell phone. I have it turned off all week, but it is far better to have one along in case you do need to make a call when you return from your cruise (cancelled flights, contacting shuttle, call home/work to check in) Not only are pay phones a hassle, we found them to be a lot more expensive and they totally grossed me out the last time I had to use one (dirty, yuck!).

Robertsdjm
September 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Quick Question: What are the lanyards for???

kchesneylover
September 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
They are to hold your sign and sail card. They are key chains that hang around your neck.

Mom2Joce
September 9th, 2005, 12:26 AM
VERY NEW to cruising but is the sign and sail cards the ones that you put your money on to in order to pay for stuff??

makeda
September 9th, 2005, 08:38 AM
yes, that is the sail and sign card

mykids3
September 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
One of the things that my husband and I always forget is not what to pack but where to pack it. Pack an extra bathing suit and sunscreen in your carry on bag onto the ship. If you get there as early as suggested on these boards you will enjoy sitting by the pools drinking nice fruity drinks and not sweating to death! You never know when your luggage will get to the room.