Hard to get a taxi on Moorea?

prissy1

I just read a review that it is hard to find a taxi on Moorea. Is this true? I did not plan any excursions for Moorea. We were just going to get a cab and go to the Hilton and a private beach.

What are other cruisers experience with getting a taxi on Moorea?

I have not had a problem getting a taxi from the tender area. Nor have I had a problem getting a taxi from the Hilton /Intercontinental and Sofitel.

The last time I went I had a problem getting a taxi from Les Tipannier. The restaurant and hotel wouldnt call one and we decided to walk to the Tahia Collins store and take a taxi to the ship. Halfway there near a restaurant called Irene there was a store that had souvenirs pareos and jewellery. We went in there to see the good and for a bit of shade from the hot sun. It was a lovely store and we bought a ton of jewellery etc. The owner kindly called a cab for us. This year we have rented a car and will be definitely visiting that store.

What private beach were you planning on visiting?

Hi Emdee,

We are going to the Hilton one day and then we were going to ask the cruise concierge about Temae Beach for the next day.

We are doing our post stay at Les Tipaniers. They told us to catch the Le Truck to get there from the ferry dock.

Any advice on a good beach for our second day? I had it all planned out but a review of no cabs threw me for a loop!

Have fun on your trip on the 29th!

For years the PG had an arrangement with the Sofitel - in my opinion the best beach where they allowed you to use their facilities. When the Sofitel changed owners they didnt allow us to use their facilities not even for a price.

So we tried all the others - Hilton/Intercontinental/ Les Tip/Intercontinental Motu etc.

This year we are renting a car so are going to Temae( continuation of Sofitel beach). Temae is near the airport but I have concerns about getting a taxi back. Sandrine at Avis said we could take her car to Temae. We will be going to the Hilton on the second day.

If you dont want to drive I would go to Les Tip. The beach is decent/ food is reasonable and if you dont get a taxi ( they may call one for you since you are staying there ) you can like us walk towards the Tahia Collins shop and take the shuttle to the ship. Also should you wish to save some taxi fare you can take the Tahia Collins shuttle there as well - though not far I did not enjoy the walk in the hot sun.

I heard that there are a fair bit of mosquitos in Les Tip area in the evenings so take your spray for the stay there. We didnt find any there in the day.

I am so looking forward to the 29th and hope to make it back in 2013 jan or feb as well!

Emdee, I would love if you could check the name/milemarker for the store where you bought lots of jewellery and report back after you 2012 trip (just in case you aren't on our ship in 2013 :D )

I found Restaurant Irene on one of the guide book maps so I made a note to check out the gift shop next door. Could it be Coco Blanc? I heard something about that store too but I am not sure where it is located. DH does not like to shop so knowing which are good places to stop in will be important. Thanks!

I didnt really note the name. Just found the owner very welcoming and had a nice variety of shell necklaces. I still think her stuff is made in China but i never did find such nice pieces in China!

Well I recall in another post that Coco Blanc had nice shell necklaces (with a little tag at the clasp that said coco blanc if I recall correctly), but I don`t know where on Moorea they are located, so if you find them, post back here for a mile marker :) all I know is that is is East of Cook`s bay. I`m always interested in assisting with another cruiser`s shopping addiction!

And sorry to OP for hijacking the thread!

Archived