PDA

View Full Version : Name Misspelled on birth certificate

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
My cousin Krystal has been having an issue getting her name corrected on her BC, as it's misspelled Crystal. She presented copies of school records, baptism certificate, pediatric records, DL, and her SS card which all have her name spelled correctly with a K to the town where she was born. They were to send the information to vital statistics in Trenton, NJ. This was in April and she was told it would take 8-12 weeks to get the process completed.

She called Trenton last week, and they never received the documents. So she sent them directly and was told it would take 8-12 weeks. This will cut it really close to our 9/24 sailing.

Has this happened to anyone else and if it's not corrected by our sail date will she having a problem getting on the ship?

nana6
July 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Are you close enough to Vital Stats that you can walk it thru? Your cruise docs, have to have the same spelling that is on your BC, DL or passport. We had to do this a couple years ago with someone in our group. Good Luck!!

Kryssa
July 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
At this point I would absolutely call Carnival or your travel agent and have her name changed to a "C" on the booking.

Of course she would prefer to sail as Krystal but it's better than not sailing at all.

As soon as she gets back, she should do whatever is necessary to get it fixed on her BC. I also think she should get a passport.

happy cruzin
July 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
At this point I would absolutely call Carnival or your travel agent and have her name changed to a "C" on the booking.

Of course she would prefer to sail as Krystal but it's better than not sailing at all.

As soon as she gets back, she should do whatever is necessary to get it fixed on her BC. I also think she should get a passport.

Not sure that solves the problem :o! If all of her other ID is Krystal...then she will not have the required photo ID to go with the BC that says Crystal.

OP...have you called Carnival to explain the situation - and ask for clarification and guidance?

I do believe that the BC and the ID have to match the reservation. Not sure the best - or fastest - way to make that happen.....but you definately want to get it taken of.

Kryssa
July 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Not sure that solves the problem :o! If all of her other ID is Krystal...then she will not have the required photo ID to go with the BC that says Crystal.

OP...have you called Carnival to explain the situation - and ask for clarification and guidance?

I do believe that the BC and the ID have to match the reservation. Not sure the best - or fastest - way to make that happen.....but you definately want to get it taken of.

Hmm... you are right... best thing to do would be to call Carnival (or TA) and have them advise you of what to do. I forgot that you need DL when you use a BC. We use a passports so we are not required to show DL.

Make sure they put notes in your account so they can see that you called and asked for advice.

hallmarkk
July 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
my driver license is Theresa, and that is what al my other stuff says and then I go get my passport and my bc says Teresa so that is what is on my passport when I show my drivers lic it wasn't a problem that it doesn't match my DL

woodey
July 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
yaaaaa...she will need to get that fixed......if she doesnt she might as well not even show up to the Ship....Homeland Security Laws dictate her BC and DL/Passport match...it sucks but atleast you have time to have her fix it.

Caribbean King1
July 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
This in on the Carnival website fAQ
http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391
Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

blakey
July 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Contact either of the us senators for your state. They can and will help you.

babyblue78
July 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Just my opinion.... I would present all of this documentation and get a passport issued, even if I had to make an appointment with a passport office. I would be terrified that the BC would not get corrected in time! :eek:

FLHugh
July 4th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Given the facts as stated, I would say her true name is Crystal with a "C" and not with a "K". I would think she would have to go to court to change the name on her Official Birth Certificate. Just sayin!

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Given the facts as stated, I would say her true name is Crystal with a "C" and not with a "K". I would think she would have to go to court to change the name on her Official Birth Certificate. Just sayin!

According to the state of NJ a misspelling is not grounds for a legal name change. You're referred to vital statistics to get it corrected. Just sayin' :)

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Are you close enough to Vital Stats that you can walk it thru? Your cruise docs, have to have the same spelling that is on your BC, DL or passport. We had to do this a couple years ago with someone in our group. Good Luck!!

It's a 90 min drive to Trenton and they advised over the phone the documentation must be mailed. But I think it's worth a trip up there anyway.

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Just my opinion.... I would present all of this documentation and get a passport issued, even if I had to make an appointment with a passport office. I would be terrified that the BC would not get corrected in time! :eek:

This is an excellent idea. I suggest she meet with someone at the passport office.

babyblue78
July 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Would it be possible for her to present the BC and have her driver's license changed to match? For all they know, the DL is incorrect and the BC is correct. Just a thought!

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Would it be possible for her to present the BC and have her driver's license changed to match? For all they know, the DL is incorrect and the BC is correct. Just a thought!

That might be an easier option. I just sent her the information for our regional passport agency to see if they'll issue her a passport with all her documentation. I'll also look into the process of changing her license at least until the birth certificate is corrected.

GottaLuvCruising
July 4th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Years ago I had a client who booked a cruise with the first name "Stephen". I helped him order an expedited birth certificate through VitalChek. When it arrived, name was spelled "Steven". This gentleman had gone through school, served in the military, owned property, had a driver's license all with name spelled (same as his father and grandfather) "Stephen". VitalChek and whatever borough it was in NYC both stated that birth certificate was spelled correctly. So he had to very quickly get a new driver's license with the wrong name so he could board the ship. Carnival, as a courtesy under the circumstances, changed the spelling on the booking. When he returned, Stephen had to get his name legally corrected to what it was supposed to be in the first place.

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Years ago I had a client who booked a cruise with the first name "Stephen". I helped him order an expedited birth certificate through VitalChek. When it arrived, name was spelled "Steven". This gentleman had gone through school, served in the military, owned property, had a driver's license all with name spelled (same as his father and grandfather) "Stephen". VitalChek and whatever borough it was in NYC both stated that birth certificate was spelled correctly. So he had to very quickly get a new driver's license with the wrong name so he could board the ship. Carnival, as a courtesy under the circumstances, changed the spelling on the booking. When he returned, Stephen had to get his name legally corrected to what it was supposed to be in the first place.

hmmmm.....New Jersey has a 6pt ID requirement and all her other ID has K, so it doubt we'd be able to change the license to C since it matches nothing she has.

shof515
July 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
This in on the Carnival website fAQ
http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391
Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

since it says identical. I think overall she will be fine and allowed to the board ship. It is only one letter difference, name still has the same meaning. And the cruise port is typically not as strict as the TSA/airports

If you have to fly to the ship, then change it since the TSA is more strict about this stuff

jerseygirl79
July 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
since it says identical. I think overall she will be fine and allowed to the board ship. It is only one letter difference, name still has the same meaning. And the cruise port is typically not as strict as the TSA/airports

If you have to fly to the ship, then change it since the TSA is more strict about this stuff

I hope so. I'm going to call my PVP tomorrow. Ironically, she forgot her birth certificate at home during the chaos of my wedding cruise in May 09 and she was able to sail without it. She had her license and there was a group of us.

B and C Blake
July 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Being a Jersey gal my self all I can say yup that's Jersey for you. That is why I call my home-state the armpit of America, LOL

Anyway, weigh the option .. 90 minute drive or getting turned away at the pier? 90 minute drive or getting turned away at the pier? Yes I will take the 90 minute drive.

Good Luck on your endeavor. She might want to bring mother or father along if possible. NJ Morris County had misspelled my youngest daughters name .. she was suppose to be Marie and ended up Maria .. we just left it and now she loves it going by Ria, LOL

MDSue
July 4th, 2011, 07:46 PM

I think it would be a huge mistake to show up at the port and hope for the best. The cruise ports have the same requirements as airlines, they are not more lenient.
No one wants to get turned away at the last moment.
I can't say what the best course of action would be. If it was me, I'd get a passport using the birth certificate and go with the passport (or have her cruise ticket changed to match her birth certificate). She won't need any ID other than a passport and it should not matter if the credit card is mispelled. The cruise ticket and her official ID should all match up.
The best advice won't come from here though because we are all speculating, she needs to find out for sure what she needs to do before arriving at the port.

kbmeow
July 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I do not think they wi
L fix a BC I think it will be more of a name change. Now why did SS issue a card wight he wrong name. They require the BC to get it. Odd

cruisenanny
July 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yes, unless Mom & Dad have a copy of the original b/c application showing the spelling with a K or caught the mistake upon receiving the b/c shortly after Krystals birth, I believe her legal name IS INDEED Crystal with a C... The weird part is how she was able to get her ss card & DL using the K instead of the C, ODD..
I wish my name was spelled Debra & not Deborah, but thats what my b/c says...:rolleyes:
The OPs cousin could take her b/c along with the rest of her 6 points to the DMV & have the DL corrected to the Crystal with a C & problem solved, at least as far as boarding the ship. :)

EDIT**AH, just saw the other posts suggesting the same as I did & OP says it wont work.. Again then, HOW did she get her DL in the first place if the b/c uses a C??

gemcrusier
July 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I cant believe this problem hasnt come up before , getting into school, getting a drivers license you have to show BC , getting married, getting SS card . If it was wrong why didnt her parents change it right away???

Havingfun2010
July 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Today, your birth record is your first proof that you exist as a person, so the spelling on it becomes your name. But in the past, it was easier to become someone else, such is this case. I'm not really sure if you could change your name on a birth certificate today, because showing a DL etc, only shows that your DL is wrong, and not the BC. My gut says this won't be fixed easy, and you should call your Senator's office to get you the help you need.

ferfoodle
July 4th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I cant believe this problem hasnt come up before , getting into school, getting a drivers license you have to show BC , getting married, getting SS card . If it was wrong why didnt her parents change it right away???

That depends on factors unknown to us. This individual may have had a certified birth certificate prior to this one that was indeed correct. Most states(and I do not know if New Jersey has or not) have been converting their birth records to data bases and those that have now issue birth certificates from computers and not photocopying the original to whatever form of paper they use. So her original birth certificate that was typed years ago and signed by the doctor and parent might have indeed been spelled with a K. But if she has since had her birth certificate re-issued from this conversion, very well possible the person doing the data entry erred and used a C. Data entry errors are rare but do happen. In my years of having worked at a local Vital Stats office, I had a few men freak out when I asked them if they were born female (always had to ask) because their computer record now had them as such. A quick call and the record was verified at the State office with the original and the computer record was corrected to male.

OP - hopefully her record gets straightened out once and for all and in time. Enjoy your cruise.

ferfoodle
July 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Today, your birth record is your first proof that you exist as a person, so the spelling on it becomes your name. But in the past, it was easier to become someone else, such is this case. I'm not really sure if you could change your name on a birth certificate today, because showing a DL etc, only shows that your DL is wrong, and not the BC. My gut says this won't be fixed easy, and you should call your Senator's office to get you the help you need.

Again - I can only say how it was in Colorado, but a first/middle name spelling variation/error does not require a court order - just a fee and proof of correct spelling.

CCLNCLRCICRUISER
July 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Again - I can only say how it was in Colorado, but a first/middle name spelling variation/error does not require a court order - just a fee and proof of correct spelling.
Appears to be the same for NJ

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/amend.shtml#corr

V8cruiser
July 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The weird part is how she was able to get her ss card & DL using the K instead of the C, ODD..
I wish my name was spelled Debra & not Deborah, but thats what my b/c says...:rolleyes:
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
yes, well it happens....I'm 42 and my middle name was spelled most of my life with an A, but the birth cert says E....yes, even the middle name can screw you up....I took the DL, library card, social, work ID, and marriage license personally to the vital Statistics office 4 and a half hours away. The officer told me because I wasnt trying to change my name, only correct a mistake, she authorized it and I walked out with the papers corrected.....point is ...go to the office. whoever answers the phones may give you a different answer each time you call.....

katybugg
July 4th, 2011, 11:33 PM
This exact situation came up a couple of weeks ago (I live in Texas). A young man had a suspended license and was not going to be able to get it corrected before his cruise. The other problem was the spelling of his name on BC and DL was different. Undra on BC and Andre on DL. I suggested he get a state issued photo Id with the name that matched the BC. He didnt get the hard copy right away, but he did get the temporary paper copy with his picture on it. I told him to take the DL just in case it was needed but they never asked for anything other than the temporary ID and BC. They were able to enjoy their cruise and take care of the rest when they returned home. The funny thing was, the name spelling had never been an issue, even enlisting in the Army years ago. I hope this works out for OP and they are able to cruise without any issues.

Essiesmom
July 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
In 1960, my sister's Girl Scout troop was going to the Cabana in Mexico. My mother, asst. troop leader, needed a birth certificate for the first time, to get a visitor's card for Mexico. When it came, it said she was Harriet Louise, not the Olive Louise that her parents named her. She was born at home (in 1910), and apparently the doctor didn't file the birth certificate right away, and forgot the name. Fortunately her mother was still alive and could provide an affidavit that her name should have been Olive, and it was changed. EM

Dr Dave
July 5th, 2011, 01:38 AM
President Obama, I didn't know you could take a cruise....

(sorry, I couldn't resist ;))

arpie05
July 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Strange that her mom didn't fix or correct this a long time ago! My sister's middle name was misspelled on her birth certificate so they just left it spelled that way. (Kristen but it was spelt Kristin)

MissDiva1
July 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
hmmmm.....New Jersey has a 6pt ID requirement and all her other ID has K, so it doubt we'd be able to change the license to C since it matches nothing she has.

How did she get all these important id's and such with a mis spelled birth certificat:confused: Strange.........a birth certificate is an official doc......

crusinpsychRN
July 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
In 1963 I went to get my birth certificate and they only had one for Baby girl and my last name.

I told them my name and they changed it!

Times have changed!

MissDiva1
July 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I do not think they wi
L fix a BC I think it will be more of a name change. Now why did SS issue a card wight he wrong name. They require the BC to get it. Odd

Exactly!

cruisenanny
July 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
That depends on factors unknown to us. This individual may have had a certified birth certificate prior to this one that was indeed correct. Most states(and I do not know if New Jersey has or not) have been converting their birth records to data bases and those that have now issue birth certificates from computers and not photocopying the original to whatever form of paper they use. So her original birth certificate that was typed years ago and signed by the doctor and parent might have indeed been spelled with a K. But if she has since had her birth certificate re-issued from this conversion, very well possible the person doing the data entry erred and used a C. Data entry errors are rare but do happen. In my years of having worked at a local Vital Stats office, I had a few men freak out when I asked them if they were born female (always had to ask) because their computer record now had them as such. A quick call and the record was verified at the State office with the original and the computer record was corrected to male.

OP - hopefully her record gets straightened out once and for all and in time. Enjoy your cruise.
This is really the only explanation of how she may have gotten her ss card, dl, etc.. Maybe she used her original & CORRECT b/c to get these things, then misplaced that b/c & received a replacement with the incorrect sp??

momof4boys
July 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM
In 1963 I went to get my birth certificate and they only had one for Baby girl and my last name.

I told them my name and they changed it!

Times have changed!

My mom and a co worker needed a passport in 1980 to vacation in Mexico. When my mom's friend got a copy of her BC--it said No Name for her name, and then listed her maiden name. It was quite a challenge to get the No Name off that BC. She never had trouble getting her marriage license, DL, or her SS card, and had been working over 25 years.

True story for me.....I got married in 1977. I kept my maiden name......fast forward four kids and 25 years later and everyone called me Mrs. X (husband's name) My drivers license even had my maiden name and my married name on it by then.

I went back to teaching in 2002...and my district called me and said that my name (married--Mrs. X) did not match my social security card. I either had to go by maiden name or change my SS info. So I took my marriage licence to the SS office. I explained that I needed to change my info to my married name and gave her my marriage certificate. She kept staring at the date (25 years earlier) and the appkication to change name. ......I told her I wanted to make sure I was going to stay married before I changed my name. She laughed the entire time she helped me. :D

Today...it is worth making the 90 minutes trip to ease any anxiety!!

Happy sailing!!

pkw1966
July 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I had a similar experience before my first cruise as my first name was misspelled on my birth certificate. I needed a quick solution so I changed the spelling of my first name on my drivers license to match my birth certificate. I believe the cost was $23 to reissue my drivers license.

When I returned from my cruise, I petitioned the state to correct the spelling on my birth certificate to correct the error. Once the amended birth certificate was obtained, I completed my application for a passport. I did have to obtain a second corrected drivers license but at the time, it was the quickest option for me.