PDA

View Full Version : Great American Steamboat Company

Jancruz
September 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
There will be a new river boat company starting shortly and they will be sailing the American Queen..I cant wait!! I want to finally see the USA by river
Jancruz1

PCruzer
September 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
When will these river cruises be available?

seafare
September 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
There will be a new river boat company starting shortly and they will be sailing the American Queen..I cant wait!! I want to finally see the USA by river
Jancruz1

Jan,

I've tried several times to sign up for updates and brochures when they are available on their web site, but there doesn't appear to be a "submit" button to finish the process. Tried enter and clicking various parts of web site to no avail. Am I missing something???????

Any way, looking forward to the start up as this has been a dream trip for my 87 year old mother for a very long time.

Say hello to Shari for me and Ken and I thoughly enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Regatta 17 June.

Jill

wvguy
September 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
I saw an article in my hometown newspaper in Parkersburg, WV, a few days ago that might be of interest. Search PARKERSBURG NEWS AND SENTINEL and at the site search GREAT AMERICAN STEAMBOAT COMPANY. There is an article, ROLLING ON THE RIVER, dated Aug. 17, 2011 with a picture. Marietta, OH, about 15 miles from Parkersburg, will be a stop and it is one of the most beautiful little towns on the Ohio River. The whole area along the Ohio River is beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall.

Hope this helps.

LHT28
September 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Jan,

I've tried several times to sign up for updates and brochures when they are available on their web site, but there doesn't appear to be a "submit" button to finish the process. Tried enter and clicking various parts of web site to no avail. Am I missing something???????

Jill
I got the submit button
http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/guest.html

LHT28
September 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I saw an article in my hometown newspaper in Parkersburg, WV, a few days ago that might be of interest. Search PARKERSBURG NEWS AND SENTINEL and at the site search GREAT AMERICAN STEAMBOAT COMPANY.
Hope this helps.
Here is the link
http://newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/551023/Rolling-on-the-river.html

wvguy
September 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
You might contact the Marietta Tourist and Convention Bureau in Marietta, OH. They have a web site and you can chat on line with a representative. Also, telephone no. is 740-373-5178. I'll just bet they can give you information on how to contact this company if you still have a problem.

Wayfairers
September 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the great information - US River cruises sound very interesting. I will bookmark the site for future use.

Rinaldini
November 3rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
They say "genuine steamboat" but they give no details whatever concerning the machinery, boiler pressure, compound data.... I mean, they can't very well market a diesel powered boat under that moniker without opening up to all sorts of litigation - they wouldn't dare! So I hope there will be information available.
I'm ready to book if she's a steam powered boat.

LHT28
November 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
They say "genuine steamboat" but they give no details whatever concerning the machinery, boiler pressure, compound data.... I mean, they can't very well market a diesel powered boat under that moniker without opening up to all sorts of litigation - they wouldn't dare! So I hope there will be information available.

I am sure if you contact them they can give you the details

check the blog for some details
http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/blog/

Calliope
November 4th, 2011, 02:12 AM

The massive paddlewheel of the AMERICAN QUEEN is turned by two tandem-compound steam engines that were originally built by the Nordberg Manufacturing Company for use on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' dredgeboat KENNEDY. So, yes, the AQ is a real honest to God steamboat. She does have two electric Z-drive props athwart of her sternwheel for added power. The boiler provides steam for hotel operations along with power for the boat's steam whistle and calliope. Let us know which trip you book!

steamboats
November 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Rinaldini,

I can assure you that the AQ is a real steamboat :D!

In case you want some photo proof check here (http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-pictures/american-queen.html). Go to the photo gallery and on page 3 you´ll find pix of the engine room.

steamboats

Molokai-Chuck
November 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
She and her engine (steam) are for real. It is the only way to do a river in America.

Chuck

Rinaldini
November 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks, that's very good news. I've seen so many pitiful conversions of fine steam machinery, in the name of economy - and the charm was lost.

It will be one of the longer cruises.

EncinitasGal
November 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Anybody know the size of the accommodations and the demographics for cruisers on the American Queen?

Calliope
November 11th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks, that's very good news. I've seen so many pitiful conversions of fine steam machinery, in the name of economy - and the charm was lost.

It will be one of the longer cruises.

I would suggest a trip that has Louisville as a port of call. That way you can visit the oldest operating Mississippi style steamboat in America, the Str. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. In three years she will be 100 years old. WWW.BELLEOFLOUISVILLE.ORG

Calliope
November 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Anybody know the size of the accommodations and the demographics for cruisers on the American Queen?

The Delta Queen Steamboat Company's passengers were more mature than some other cruise line's passengers and tended to be upper middle class and American. My guess is that Great American Steamboat Co.'s will probably be the same. Also the shorter the voyage the younger the passengers generally were.

The size of the double occupancy rooms range from 132 square feet up to 337.5 square feet on the AMERICAN QUEEN. Rooms vary in size according to location, and even though a certain type of room may cost more, it could be smaller in size than a less expensive room. A travel agent that is familiar with the old Delta Queen product could be very helpful.

BJane
November 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I hope the new company does a better job of getting the American Queen ready for passengers than the previous one did. We were on her in 1995 after she had been in service for a few months. (Prior to beginning passenger service the boat was stuck on a sandbar for 4 days.)

When we boarded in October the paddlewheel was broken so they had to use the auxiliary engines to power the boat. The stacks were designed to lower so they would fit under bridges. Unfortunately one was stuck in the bent over position.

Imagine if you will a riverboat cruising down the Ohio river with an inoperative paddlewheel and one and a half stacks! Not a pretty sight.

At that time we had already been on 19 cruise ships. After the American Queen disaster we quickly returned to them and spent the rest of our cruising days happily on the ocean with fully functioning ships.

Pollyanna Dreamgirl
November 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
We were on the Grand American Queen in 1999, R/T from New Orleans. The cabins were beautiful, the dining superb. Everything was 1st class all the way. It definitely cannot be compared to a cruise - it would be like comparing apples and oranges. It was one of the most relaxing, memorable vacations we have ever taken. We look forward to her return.

marshacher
November 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Just received our brochure for the American Queen. Have a cruise in mind but can't find cabin sizes in the various categories. Why would an Outside Deluxe cost more than an Outside Deluxe with Veranda? Any input on best month to go?
Thanks.

LHT28
November 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Why would an Outside Deluxe cost more than an Outside Deluxe with Veranda? Any input on best month to go?
Thanks.
You might be reading the brochure prices wrong
In my brochure the Outside with veranda is more than the one without ;)

As for when to go it may depend on where you are going

marshacher
November 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Nope Cat D is more expensive than Cat E which has a veranda. Same info shows up on line.
We are looking at rountrip New Orleans on the lower Mississippi. My husband is interested in visiting Vicksburg and it is in that itinerary.

LHT28
November 19th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Nope Cat D is more expensive than Cat E which has a veranda. Same info shows up on line.
We are looking at rountrip New Orleans on the lower Mississippi. My husband is interested in visiting Vicksburg and it is in that itinerary.

sorry about that
I did look at the Cat E again maybe because it is an open deck not really a private balcony
It could be less desirable to some so a cheaper rate & maybe smaller cabins ??
You are right there are no cabin sizes mentioned
Maybe someone at GASC could answer the query

Looks like a great trip

Calliope
November 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
D rooms have more space inside than E rooms, have a bathtub, and a bay window. Except for the handicap accessable D rooms, they do not have access to an outside deck. Some of the bays have a padded seat waist high at the base of the bay to sit down on and enjoy the view. Other of the bays extend all the way to the floor. The room size is 190 sq ft. Most E rooms are 141 sq ft, have showers instead of a tub, and their doors are to the public deck (called the guard on a steamboat).

marshacher
November 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you for that info. Think I'll opt for a D category (only $100 more pp). I sort of surmised size was the factor.
Can a scooter be used in a non-accessible room or is there a lip we would need to deal with? How about the rest of the boat (ship?)? We can manage with just a wheelchair so it's not a major issue.
We've wanted to do this for sometime now so we are excited that the American Queen is up and running again. We will probably go in April unless someone says that's a terrible time to do RT New Orleans.

LHT28
November 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
D rooms have more space inside than E rooms, have a bathtub, and a bay window. Except for the handicap accessable D rooms, they do not have access to an outside deck. Some of the bays have a padded seat waist high at the base of the bay to sit down on and enjoy the view. Other of the bays extend all the way to the floor. The room size is 190 sq ft. Most E rooms are 141 sq ft, have showers instead of a tub, and their doors are to the public deck (called the guard on a steamboat).
Thanks for the explanation

hondorner
November 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I also had a lot of questions about cabins. Obviously I haven't sailed on her yet, but I did get some answers.

Category A is the only category that has completely private verandas. Categories LS, AAA, AA, B, C, and E all open to the various outer decks. Categories A, D and all inside cabins are the only ones that interior doors; all others exit to the various outer decks.

Category D, of course, is the only one akin to what is termed "Ocean View" on sea-going cruise ships. In contrast, however, the bay windows apparently provide a unie view.

One change that was mentioned to me that Great American is making as opposed to the previous configuration is some sort of a small partition between cabins that open to the outer decks, making them sort of "semi-private". They will still be shared with the promenade deck areas, but as was told to me, "steamboats are very social boats", therefore I'm assuming that the open deck areas are considered an advantage.

My question (to a GASC officer with whom I have a prior friendship) was, "Which cabin has the biggest bang for the buck, taking into account that we will never book an inside?" The answer is, of course, just one person's opinion, but was one of the category E cabins with low numbers -- cabins E301 through 305 are apparently very slightly larger than the other E cabins. Accordingly, we booked E301 for our August 30 cruise. It has the added advantage of being right next to the Front Porch.

Calliope
November 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thank you for that info. Think I'll opt for a D category (only $100 more pp). I sort of surmised size was the factor.
Can a scooter be used in a non-accessible room or is there a lip we would need to deal with? How about the rest of the boat (ship?)? We can manage with just a wheelchair so it's not a major issue.
We've wanted to do this for sometime now so we are excited that the American Queen is up and running again. We will probably go in April unless someone says that's a terrible time to do RT New Orleans.

April is a fantastic time to visit New Orleans and the Old South. June, July and August can be another story unless heat and excessive humidity are your cup of tea. I would leave the scooter at home and use a wheel chair. The U.S. Coast Guard requires raised thresholds, the boat is not that big, and the hallways are narrow. Also the two passenger elevators onboard are rather small. And she is a steamboat; she is not a ship. Majestic American Line, the last company to run her, called all of their boats ships, and they were such bad stewards of the steamboats only the AMERICAN QUEEN will be running again in the near future.

Calliope
November 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
My question (to a GASC officer with whom I have a prior friendship) was, "Which cabin has the biggest bang for the buck, taking into account that we will never book an inside?" The answer is, of course, just one person's opinion, but was one of the category E cabins with low numbers -- cabins E301 through 305 are apparently very slightly larger than the other E cabins. Accordingly, we booked E301 for our August 30 cruise. It has the added advantage of being right next to the Front Porch.

Room 301 is larger than the other E rooms and has a bath tub rather than just a shower.

The two LS rooms on the Texas deck have private balconies overlooking the wheel. But those rooms can be quite noisy with a lot of vibration if for some reason they have to work the boat hard.

marshacher
November 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM
May not be able to do April. Have enough H&H here in FL. What's this time of year like? The trip we're looking at goes over Thanksgiving next year.
Thanks for the cabin info. Will try and book 301 or 302. Looks like they are identical.
I know she is a steamboat. I covered all bases. Too many on the other boards get blasted for calling ships boats and vice versa. Hope we get to see this beautiful boat. We're working on it. First have to get our Jan cruise out of the way

LHT28
November 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
May not be able to do April. Have enough H&H here in FL. What's this time of year like? The trip we're looking at goes over Thanksgiving next year.

I do not think it gets too cool there anytime ;)
You can check the weather for the cities on the route @
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:70112.1.99999
Scroll down & you can change the month

hondorner
November 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Room 301 is larger than the other E rooms and has a bath tub rather than just a shower.
Is that a tub and a shower, or just a tub with a shower? It makes a big difference to me -- I hate tubs; haven't had a bath in something like 60 years. Also, while we are still reasonably flexible at age 71, we really don't like climbing over a tub wall to take a shower.

Thanks for the added info on the LS suites...

Calliope
November 20th, 2011, 11:40 PM
During November 1983 I was a Watchman on the DELTA QUEEN. We were running mostly in the New Orleans to Natchez trade, but we did get up to Vicksburg once. I remember the days being sunny and warm (upper 50s lower 60s), but at night the decks would frost and become quite slippery.

LHT28
November 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Is that a tub and a shower, or just a tub with a shower? It makes a big difference to me -- I hate tubs; haven't had a bath in something like 60 years. Also, while we are still reasonably flexible at age 71, we really don't like climbing over a tub wall to take a shower.

Don
Maybe GASC needs to provide more info on the cabins EG sq footage
;)

Lyn

Calliope
November 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the added info on the LS suites...

The bath room would have a tub with a shower head, so you would have to climb over the tub in 301. There is a tub with a shower head in the rooms 301 to 306.

hondorner
November 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM
I was told that 301 through 306 are a little larger than the other E cabins; is it possible that all or most of the additional space is used by the tub, or is there some additional space in the rest of the cabin?

Also, on the deck plans, I see something like a box on the outer edge of the deck opposite the entrance door to 301. Do you know what this is, and does it obstruct the view?

Calliope
November 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM
The room itself will be larger along with the bathroom being larger in rooms 301 to 306 also. There is a stairway to the deck above right outside of 301's door, and it would somewhat obstruct the view. Those rooms were classified as B category rooms when she came out in 1995. Rooms 307 and higher were less roomy C category rooms with showers only.

hondorner
November 21st, 2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks! You're a fountain of information. I hope we get to sail together some day. I never got a chance to go steamboating before, although it's been a life-long dream since I was raised on the banks of the Ohio River just outside Pittsburgh.

Calliope
November 21st, 2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks! You're a fountain of information. I hope we get to sail together some day. I never got a chance to go steamboating before, although it's been a life-long dream since I was raised on the banks of the Ohio River just outside Pittsburgh.

Thanks! I've been around steamboats for my entire life. My father was a licensed chief marine engineer for steam and I too have worked on steamboats. For the past few years, I've been enjoying the tradition and history found on Cunard's ships, but next year it's back to my first love steamboatin'!

Pollyanna Dreamgirl
November 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
When we went on her back in 1998, we were fortunate to get a 2 for 1 special - PLUS we received 2 upgrades before we left! Would love to get THAT deal again!

We were in cabin #534 (not sure if the configurations have changed since), which was a "veranda" room - a few rooms down from the calliope and bar. It had a window plus the French doors opened up onto the deck. There were patio chairs outside our room by the railing, where we could put up our feet and read or watch the river go by.

And yes, it was a social experience. Almost everyone that walked by, stopped to chat. With only a few hundred guests on the boat, it was not a constant stream of people walking by. Our next door cabin mates were from England and we have remained life-long friends, sharing several vacations since.

It is definitely a trip we are looking to book again in the future.

Cruisingmanforlife1
December 1st, 2011, 07:33 AM
When we went on her back in 1998, we were fortunate to get a 2 for 1 special - PLUS we received 2 upgrades before we left! Would love to get THAT deal again!

We were in cabin #sure if the configurations have changed since), which was a "veranda" room - a few rooms down from the calliope and bar.534. Our next door cabin mates were from England and we have remained life-long friends, sharing several vacations since.

It is definitely a trip we are looking to book again in the future.

Okay I just gotta know the green :D color makes me think green lights. When are you destined for the Great American Steamboat Company? Will you repeat again and have your friends from the UK? I just find you awe inspiring and you have sailed HAL with us before. :cool: By the way I posted a link earlier for the canin configurations that have been updated.

jebhoward3
January 19th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know of any online Travel Agencies that are booking the American Queen cruises?

LHT28
January 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know of any online Travel Agencies that are booking the American Queen cruises?
We are not allowed on CC to recommend any TA's
You can check the guidelines above for other rules
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

jebhoward3
January 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I realize we are not allowed to state the specific TA, but my question still stands.

Does anyone know of any online Travel Agencies that are booking the American Queen.

Could be answered with a simple "Yes, we found one".

LHT28
January 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
i realize we are not allowed to state the specific ta, but my question still stands.

Does anyone know of any online travel agencies that are booking the american queen.

Could be answered with a simple "yes, we found one".
yes

jebhoward3
January 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
While looking at an online TA website for American Queen were you able to see what cabins are available? Or is it more of they need to phone Great American Steamboat Company to find out? I just do not like phoning TA or cruise company until I am ready to actually book the cruise and know what catagory and/or cabin we want.
Thanks for the information.

LHT28
January 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
While looking at an online TA website for American Queen were you able to see what cabins are available? Or is it more of they need to phone Great American Steamboat Company to find out? I just do not like phoning TA or cruise company until I am ready to actually book the cruise and know what catagory and/or cabin we want.
Thanks for the information.
You have to call

Sunstone
January 22nd, 2012, 12:41 AM
I am so excited about this option to sail the rivers. First sailing is April 13 and is almost full. The REAL inaugural sailing with all the fanfare is actually the 3rd sailing on April 27 starting in Memphis - Cincinati. Memphis is the home base for the cruise line so I assume this is the reason.

I have been to a number of seminars and been trained about the experience. They are pumping big money into the ship to bring it up to a five star experience. We were introduced to their executive chef and their wonderful menus.

Each cruise includes a pre night hotel at a 4 or 5 star property. Really exciting to see this product from the get go to the launch. One of the the powers behind this is Jeff Krida, an old Cruise West VP who left years ago to explore different parts of the travel business. GASC is his baby.

tommui987
January 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
First sailing is April 13 and is almost full.

Don't see any CC types posting for this sailing ;-(

LHT28
January 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Don't see any CC types posting for this sailing ;-(
The vast majority of cruisers have never heard of Cruise critic
(hard to believe I know) :eek:

bevandroger
February 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hi to anyone booked on April 13th,

Roger and I are looking forward to this cruise. We live in NJ and have never been in New Orleans...so we are joining you on this adventure. We are driving to New Orleans and will spend two days there - one before and one after. Bev

Calliope
February 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM
There is a thread that has been started on The River Cruises Roll Call for the AQ's April 13th. innaugural cruise.

I sure wish that I could be there.

OK Rancher
March 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have wanted to do this for such a long time. I have a great deal of this country, but for some reason have never been to any of the small towns along the Mississippi. I can't wait to be transported (metaphorically and literally) to a to a time that seemed to be simpler, easier and more kind.

bevandroger
March 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Since I did not see any reference to onboard gratuities on the GASC website or brochure, I sent a "contact us" form asking if the gratuities were included. We received an email from Sandra Ratzlaff: "Tips or gratuity are NOT included with the fare of the cruise. Our suggested amount is 14.50/per person/per day."

We cruise every year - usually with Celebrity - and the gratuity is $11.50 or $12.00/per person/per day, which certainly is expected since the pay is so low for international crews. Does anyone have any thoughts about this subject? Mine was that we are paying a lot more for our 6 night round trip New Orleans than our 12 night transatlantic last spring. Is GASC stiffing their staff?

LHT28
March 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
We cruise every year - usually with Celebrity - and the gratuity is $11.50 or $12.00/per person/per day, which certainly is expected since the pay is so low for international crews. Does anyone have any thoughts about this subject? Mine was that we are paying a lot more for our 6 night round trip New Orleans than our 12 night transatlantic last spring. Is GASC stiffing their staff?

It seems to be a common amount for North American cruise lines
They do have to hire Americans & pay the wages for those positions by U.S. standards ...but I have no idea what the rates are

We went on another American cruise line & the suggested tip was $14 a day/pp (ocean cruises at that time were $10pppd)..at the end of the cruise we were given an envelope to put the tips in & drop in a box as we left the ship ..everyone of the crew got a share ..so we were told

Calliope
March 9th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Since I did not see any reference to onboard gratuities on the GASC website or brochure, I sent a "contact us" form asking if the gratuities were included. We received an email from Sandra Ratzlaff: "Tips or gratuity are NOT included with the fare of the cruise. Our suggested amount is 14.50/per person/per day."

Tips have never been included on the AMERICAN QUEEN, and the base wages for those crew that earn the bulk of their pay from tips is considerably higher than the foreign flagged blue water cruise ships. Also brown water American crews are on for six weeks and off two, which cost GASC more when compared to the six month contracts that foreign flagged ships offer their crew. When I was an unlicensed officer on the DELTA QUEEN the suggested gratuities were stipulated in the Seafarers International Union contract with The Delta Queen Steamboat Co..

In fact Cunard Line recently changed their registry from England to Burmuda to escape new English law mandating wage parity between third world crew members and those from the European Union.

pamlh1
April 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Anyone sailing on the April 19th sailing out of New Orleans? I am hoping to also talk to others who will be on the first trip out on this beautiful River boat. Some inside info.

bevandroger
April 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Roger and I will be returning from the 6 night inaugural cruise the day that you will be boarding, so there is little time to share our experiences. We are looking forward to a wonderful time and an enthusiastic crew. If possible, I will try to post something here during our trip.

Calliope
April 8th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Roger and I will be returning from the 6 night inaugural cruise the day that you will be boarding, so there is little time to share our experiences. We are looking forward to a wonderful time and an enthusiastic crew. If possible, I will try to post something here during our trip.

There are a lot of folks that can't wait to find out how the trips offered by GASC are, so posting your impressions would be greatly appreciated by this scribe and others. Post the good and the bad, because GASC needs to know how to provide the best cruise vacations possible. If they fail in that, the death knell for overnight steamboatin' will have rung. Being the greatgrandson of a steamboat captain/owner, the son of a steamboat chief engineer, and having worked on steamboats myself, I don't want to hear that bell

There is probably a public library in Natchez, Vicksburg or St. Francisville where you could post from. I'm not sure if there will be wi-fi on the boat or not. There was not when she last operated.

Responder
April 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM
We will be on the Aug 9-21 cruise out of New Orleans.

I did call and was advised that wi-fi at no charge will be available on the boat.

scooby123
April 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
We will be on the Aug 9-21 cruise out of New Orleans.

I did call and was advised that wi-fi at no charge will be available on the boat.

We are doing the June 9th cruise, round trip from New Orleans. Good to know Wi-Fi is no cost. Any body know of the weather in that area is like in June?

LHT28
April 22nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
We are doing the June 9th cruise, round trip from New Orleans. Good to know Wi-Fi is no cost. Any body know of the weather in that area is like in June?
HOT & humid I suspect
look at http://www.wunderground.com/
You can check previous years temps

steamboats
April 23rd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Any body know of the weather in that area is like in June?

Definitely hot & humid!

steamboats

pamlh1
May 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM

We just got off the April 19th cruise. I can tell you WIFI is free although we were not always able to connect. But I can tell you we had a marvelous time. The boat is beautiful, the food outstanding,the staff went above and beyond what was expected. We were a family of 6 ages 85 to my Nephew who is 27. Trip not recommened for anyone under 40.
We had cabin 305 handicapped and it was plenty big enough,the bathroom was huge but only had a bath tub which was hard for my father who is a amputee to use, they did provide a shower chair but it was very unsteady. Other then that cabin was great,it was on an outside deck where we could sit outside our room and watch the River go by, people watch or just read. We also had cabin 309 it was an ok size but still small,but fine for sleeping. We also had 358 and inside cabin very small and had a bunk bed so it could sleep 3 people,although how you would get 3 people in there I have no idea, and since the cruise is all older adults I can't see anyone climbing onto that top bunk,we had them remove it by the second day as there was only 2 people in the cabin. If at all possible get an outside cabin.
Make sure you keep an eye on the front porch the Juggernauts a band that plays one night in the Grand Salon theatre had an impromptu band session one afternoon. I'm sure they will do it every cruise,it was one of the highlights of the cruise.
Lot's more to report if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.
Happy Cruising

steamboats
May 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
pamlh1,

Hmm, I was 28 yo on my first cruise aboard the Delta Queen and my DH turned 27 a couple of days later... Our DD was 18 months old on her first steamboat cruise (also Delta Queen). On our second cruise (3 years later, actually I´ve celebrated my 31st birthday onboard) the captain thought DH is the guy who´s repairing his radio. Gave us lots of laughter and an invitation to the Captain´s Table :D.

You can never be too old or too young for a steamboat cruise:D:D!!

I´m not a big party girl and like the kind of music they are playing. That´s just fine for me. And talking to much older people can be very interesting.

steamboats