PDA

View Full Version : Is there shopping close to the ship?

Drill2dk
October 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Is there close shopping to wear the ship docks?

Isa65
October 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Shopping is VERY close to the pier. You walk straight into Riffort Village which has a variety of shops (souvenirs, jewelry, clothing, art, restaurants) and from there it is a short walk to the downtown Willemstad area.

Have a great cruise!

rtfnl
October 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Isa65, is the walk doable for those who are not able to walk long distances i.e. hip and knee replacelments?

Isa65
October 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Rtfnl, it is doable if you take it slow. There are some cobblestones which may make the walk less pleasant.

If you have difficulties walking, I would just take a cab that leaves you downtown. Maybe the trolley train would be a good way for you to get a good impression of the downtown area.

rtfnl
October 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Isa65, I'm okay with walking it is my parents and a few others in my group that have had knee and hip replacements. I think that I will tell everyone to meet at a certain time and place to go as group back to the ship to share in the cost of a taxi. I have a tour arranged that will end at the shopping area.

Is it easy to get a taxi in the shopping are for a group (24), it is okay if we split up? I want to get some local food from Pasa Bleu; however we will be in Curacao on a Saturday. Are there any food vendors at Pasa Bleu on Saturdays? I'm looking to dine cheap. Thank you.

Isa65
October 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
You should be fine as far as taxis. On the main street of downtown Willemstad there is a Taxi stand with many vehicles waiting in line. If not, one driver will call others to come pick you up.

Plasa Bieu has only a few vendors on Saturdays. For an inexpensive alternative - Plein Cafe Wilhelmina, which is Dutch. So, not typical Caribbean, but good food and good prices.
It is located at the very beginning of Main Street across a small park (Wilhelmina plein).