PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest word on the fate of the NORWAY?

Rotterdam
March 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm holding out hope that she will be saved!

dougnewmanatsea
March 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I have not heard anything significant since the big hubbub a couple of weeks ago. NCL are still saying that she must be sold (and really, she should have been sold long ago - NCL are being unreasonably cooperative with various preservation efforts in holding off on selling her).

Her savior could be EU law, if it requires that her asbestos be removed before she leaves the EU. That could well make scrapping her uneconomical, which would mean that some other solution would have to be found. At this point, that is her only hope so far as I can see. Otherwise, she is a goner.

kalamari
March 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
On the NCL site there is a big thread (ongoing) on the Norway. I have such fond memories of that ship and got out my photos yesterday to look at..sigh..Menina

I have not heard anything significant since the big hubbub a couple of weeks ago. NCL are still saying that she must be sold (and really, she should have been sold long ago - NCL are being unreasonably cooperative with various preservation efforts in holding off on selling her).

Her savior could be EU law, if it requires that her asbestos be removed before she leaves the EU. That could well make scrapping her uneconomical, which would mean that some other solution would have to be found. At this point, that is her only hope so far as I can see. Otherwise, she is a goner.

Philly Steve
April 6th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Our very first cruise was aboard the Norway. We had a great, new stateroom with a floor to ceiling window. Our T-A said "aside from Crystal and other high end lines, any other ship may disappoint after the Norway experience." He was right.

I am so glad we had the chance to sail her in her reborn prime.

rkacruiser
April 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Bill Miller, the maritime historian/author, is reporting on another website that NCL has changed their mind about scrapping the Norway. She now is to go to Port Klang in Malaysia to be used as an entertainment complex/possible moored hotel for NCL's parent Company, Star Cruises.

Philly Steve
April 9th, 2005, 12:08 AM
More on the towing of the Norway...
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1011126.ece

ElCruiso
April 9th, 2005, 04:33 AM
:D Norwegian just announced the Norway is going to Star Cruises and will be towed over to the Far East. They've spent over 10 Million just keeping her in storage, with a skelton Crew. They were going to sell her for Scrap Metal but do to age that might not have been ecologically possible. She'll probably become a Hotel Gambling ship in Hong Kong or other densily populated area with many Gamblers. Orientals are big time Gamblers. And pretty good at it TOO!

cruizinrican
April 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM
The last I heard, it was still sitting somewhere out East somewhere and that it was being used to hold other workers there at the shipyard. After the boiler expolsion, the equipment that they needed to make the pieces that were missing were long gone so she probably does not run. And about six months ago, I came across some website that someone had posted that had actual ships for sale and as I was flipping through the pages of huge ship website and I came across a picture and ad for the sale of the Norway. I can't remember now what the cost was but whatever it was, I didn't think it to be priced too outrageously, especially for a millionaire! Like 12 mill, or something like that. Wish I could find the website it was on again. But that is all I know, I too was on her in January 2000 and loved her elegance! Long live the Norway!!! Cheers!

DLO

ryndam
April 12th, 2005, 07:42 PM
The Norway, as well as several other cruise ships for sale are listed at http://www.tug-barge.com/p500.htm

FreesiaE
April 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Ryndam--thanks for the link. It is such an interesting site! I always wondered where one could buy a used cruise ship and how much it would be. Let's see, I have about $1.50 in my purse. Guess I still have some saving to do before I can buy one!

rkacruiser
April 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
ryndam,

My thanks, also, for this link. Never knew it existed and it will be fun to review!

rkacruiser
April 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Bill Miller is now reporting that the Norway has been sold to Indian shipbreakers.

Philly Steve
April 16th, 2005, 11:24 PM
:( :( :(

Philly Steve
April 23rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Now, there are concerns about the threat of asbestos exposure among laborers who are to take the Norway apart.

http://www.industelegraph.com/story/2005/3/23/43812/1597

Freckles67
May 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM
I did the second to last Atlantic crossing when NORWAY was THE FRANCE. This was in 1974. At that time there were different classes - first had their own very elegant dining room. I can't recall what our class was called. At the time I was travelling to Europe with a Eurail pass and a youth hostel card. Not the typical FRANCE cruiser..... The ship swayed quite a bit out in the middle of the Atlantic. I remember it took days to get my land legs. We docked in Southampton and then on to Cherbourg, then took a train to Paris and arrived on Bastille Day!

It will break my heart if they scrap her. What a grand old ship!

dougnewmanatsea
May 2nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
At that time there were different classes - first had their own very elegant dining room. I can't recall what our class was called.
It was tourist-class, though officially named Rive Gauche/Left Bank.

To me, FRANCE is the ne plus ultra of post-war Atlantic liners. She was already NORWAY by the time I was born, but I really wish I had the chance to experience her as an Atlantic liner. (For that matter, I wish I sailed in her as NORWAY - though by the time I had the chance, she decidedly fit into the "faded grandeur" category. Still, I wish I took that opportunity. Ironically, we were actually thinking about booking a cruise in her when the tragic explosion ocurred! Obviously, it did not happen.)

Most of the post-war liners were compromise ships - for instance, MICHELANGELO and RAFFAELLO were "make work" ships for the state-owned Fincantieri shipyards and Finmare shipping lines, UNITED STATES was really a troopship, many others like QE2 and ROTTERDAM were built to make money as dual-purpose liner/cruise ships. FRANCE was different: she had no purpose whatsoever other than prestige, as a ship of state and instrument of peace. Her builders were given a blank cheque and her design and construction was personally directed by De Gaulle. She was really the last true ship of state. Even though I only saw her as NORWAY, she is still the most beautiful ship I've ever seen. If it turns out that she is indeed broken up, it will be sad indeed, but perhaps it is best to remember her at the peak of her existence, as the French ship of state.

DFD1
May 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Doug, It's nice to read your comments about the France/Norway. I also think she is the most beautiful passenger ship ever built. I sailed on her three times as the Norway, once soon after she went into service, once midway in her career, and once the year before she was retired.

Every sailing was a special event. I felt like I was on a really unique ship, one that had an important place in the history of passenger ships.

I know that every ship finally lives out her life and passes on, but I'm sad about the current state of the Norway and sad about her eventual demise. When she goes, an important part of modern passenger cruising will be gone forever.

ryndam
May 3rd, 2005, 12:36 AM
The National Transporation Safety Board just released it's report about the May 2003 boiler explosion. An summary of the article can be found at this link, courtesy of the Sun Sentinal.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-znorway30apr30,0,187680.story?coll=sfla-business-front

Freckles67
May 3rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
ww.simplonpc.co.uk/CGT_France1962_PCs.html

There are four pages of postcard photos of the FRANCE at this link. Enjoy!

DFD1
May 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
I really enjoyed the photos. Thanks for the link. She was a real beauty.

DFD1
May 5th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I just read the thread on the demise of the Southern Cross and looked at the photographs of her demolition in India.

The idea that this could also happen to a ship as beautiful and grand as the Norway makes me sick at my stomach.

DrGary
May 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi CC Friends,

We're sailing on NCL's new Pride of America from San Francisco to Hawaii next month and thought this recent photo with Norway in the background might bring a smile...

http://www.lloydwerft.com/images/images_gr/proj_am_27.jpg

Cheers!

bcc99
May 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the great picture! Norway looks like she's still in good condition. And what superb proof that they don't build 'em like that anymore...

DFD1
May 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks so much, DrGary: Wonderful picture. What a beauty! Hope you have a really memorable cruise on the new Pride of America.

DrGary
May 10th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Hi CC Friends,

Thanks for your kind thoughts! Here's another view with Aurora (I believe) in the foreground...

http://www.lloydwerft.com/images/images_gr/proj_am_aussen_luft.jpg

For those of you who are "serious" Norway buffs, here is a link to her maintance yard with excellent photos of various stages of her history...enjoy!

http://www.lloydwerft.com/e/auftraege/index.html (http://www.lloydwerft.com/e/auftraege/index.html)

G'Day!

bcc99
May 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
She's on her way...there's a thread on the NCL board with pictures of her leaving Bremerhaven. Safe journey!

4boys4mom
June 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I can remember my first cruise on the Mardi Gras with friends on the Norway. I remember people talking about how big she was. In those pictures she looks so small. Beautiful, but small by today's standards.

scamper
June 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I remember as a teenager being sent a brochure on the S/S France back in the 70s. For some reason, I thought it was really cool that one of the dining saloons had an upper level reached by a winding staircase. I can never remember if that was the First or Tourist Class room, but it seems to me, though I could be wrong, that the bi-level room was for First Class and the upper level was for suite and deluxe stateroom occupants. When I took my very first cruise, on the S/S Norway, we were assigned for meals in what was then the Windward Dining Room, which was the other room. The other had been named Leeward. One day in port we had lunch in the Leeward Dining Room because the other was closed and it occured to me that I had read before that the French Line always had a staircase leading into their dining saloons, the 'grande descent.' The Windward's wasn't quite as impressive but it's just interesting how things that you have read in the past come back to you in a deja vous sort of way.

Rotterdam
June 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
The diningroom with teh second story was actually the second class dining venue. It was lovely in the FRANCE days..

Buut the first class room was spectacular - NCL added more tables & chairs but the murals & entrance are oribinal.

DCT61
June 13th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Was the spiral stairway in place when the ship was the FRANCE....I thought it was added during the NORWAY conversion..

lineboat
June 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Ss Norway Reported In Cape Town While Her Tug " De Da " Refuels. Still Reported To Be Going To Port Klang.

Rotterdam
June 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the updates!

srq2003
June 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Saw the POA in Miami last weekend... no where near as exciting to watch sail away as the Norway use to be! I am lucky enough to have sailed on Norway, if she was still around Id go again! My firends and I (all 20-30 yrs old) LOVE the modern decor and classic elements. More ships should be designed like she was!

Starspangle1
June 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
or does getting excited when seeing pictures of the Norway happen to others too. Sailing on the Norway was my first cruise and then the next year I decided to sail her again. There was such magic walking around on that ship at night, the lighting was perfect, the dining room was fantastic. When I see pictures it's just like I can put myself back in time on a chair by the pool. We had so much fun in the afternoons sipping our drink of the day & watching the ocean. Now all you see is ships with the pool all the way on the top deck burried. I tear up thinking about Ms. Norway.

Rotterdam
July 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
She is an extroadinary ship....

any new news????

Rotterdam
August 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Its August - where is she????

Philly Steve
August 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Reports say she has safely reached her destination of Port Klang, Malaysia.

TrentS
August 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Maritime Matters is reporting that Norway's turbines are still dismantled and that 14 Indian scrap merchants have visited the ship since her arrival. Rumor is she'll be towed to Goa, India for scrap in the next few weeks... http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Rotterdam
August 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys - truly sad news of that most beautiful of ocean liners.

Rotterdam
August 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Its been too quiet - any more news?

seaventurer
September 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
She is still for sale: $35 Million.

jstweed
September 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM
We spent our honeymoon April 1994 on the Norway. She is a beautiful ship. Didn't sail again until 2002 on the Voyager of the Seas. Loved the Voyager class ships but nothing compaired to the classy appearance and history of the Norway. You really felt like you were stepping back in time while on board. We had one of the staterooms with one wall of floor to ceiling windows on the pool deck. Bathroom was all marble. It was fantastic. So sorry she's not in service any more. Would have loved to sail on her one more time. I finally just made a scrapbook of our honeymoon pictures and it made me want to sail on her even more. What a shame I'll never get the chance :(

dlbaqua
September 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Norway was my first ship, too in 1995. What a beautiful ship she is. We had an inside cabin but it was more beautifully decorated than any ship I've sailed on since. I wish I could have sailed her again.

covey
October 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM
My first transatlantic was on the France as a college student with a youth fare that cost $225.00. I think it was around 1973? It was the year before she was sold, whenever that was. What a wonderful experience. We found the "secret" stairway to first class so be could buy Cuban cigars and many of the first class passengers came down to "steerage" for the parties. I also remember a few people "streaking" through the dining room. That was a long time ago...but what great memories!

sunkey1
October 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I sailed on the maiden voyage of the Norway in 1980 and that will always stand out in my mind as one of the most exceptional cruising experiences ever. I followed that up with ten more voyages on her, the last in 1999. I must say that it was like people, it's hard to see the wear and tear one undergoes sometimes. The Norway at that point had really been let go and it was like watching a loved one in their last days. I had the opportunity to sail on the Norway in 90/91 while working as a hostess for NCL and again, that ship just had something special about her. She will always have a special place in my heart.

mrsfuzzmo
October 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM
On my first cruise in college in 1988 (NCL Skyward) we had seen the Norway at anchor in St. Thomas. What a gorgeous huge ship she was in those days. I distinctly remember standing on deck while leaving port and someone on deck describing the Norway in great detail From that day on, I swore I would sail on her someday, and about 12 cruises later, I did. Now married, my husband and I booked one of the penthouse suites on the Norway in 2002 and were so glad that we did. I am a fan of the old ocean liners and I really wanted to get to sail on her before she went out of service. We found the "secret passage" under the pool, went to the spa, and sat in the whirlpools in the late evening under the stars and the Huge NORWAY sign. It was a terrific cruise and a wonderful experience. I'm sad to see her go, but I am selfishly happy that I got to cruise on her before her demise!

Philly Steve
October 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
The 'ole girl made a lot of people happy.

chasetf
November 3rd, 2005, 01:38 AM
To me, FRANCE is the ne plus ultra of post-war Atlantic liners. She was already NORWAY by the time I was born, but I really wish I had the chance to experience her as an Atlantic liner.
FRANCE was different: she had no purpose whatsoever other than prestige, as a ship of state and instrument of peace. Her builders were given a blank cheque and her design and construction was personally directed by De Gaulle. She was really the last true ship of state.

I was fortunate enough to have sailed the France in 1963. I had just graduated from High School when my aunt and uncle were relocating from Michigan to Brussels. I was offered a free trip to Europe if I would agree to watch my cousins who were 5,7,9,11 and 12 at the time.

Because my Uncle was an executive with Ford, we traveled first class. I flew to Michigan to join them, we all flew to New York to board her, and sail in the late afternoon. We arrived at Southhampton, and then disembarked at La Havre. It was my first experience on a grand ship and we sailed in grand style. My aunt and uncle booked late sitting and us kids had early. I remember the first evening in the dining room with all those kids, saying to the waiter I cannot decide between the prime rib or the filet. He said I will bring both...

The weather was great... the Atlantic in July... The sea was pretty mild although a couple of the kids were seasick at different times. I ended up spending the rest of the summer in Europe, flying home for start of college. It was a great experience for a 17 year old.

I too will miss her and wish I had sailed her as the Norway..

Divette
November 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
I used to work for NCL and a friend of mine happened to be in Germany readying the Pride of America for itís first voyage and the Norway was in the same dockyard. He managed to take one final tour. His pictures are at

www.CrewNewsletter.cc/Newsletter/0510Norway

Liv4cruzin
November 4th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I don't think that's an active link. Was anyone else successful in opening those photos?

Divette
November 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Sorry. It worked yesterday. Try this:

http://crewnewsletter.cc/Newsletter/0510Norway/

Philly Steve
November 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for sharing those pics! I never tire of looking at the Norway.

dromMOM
November 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I was fortunate enough to have been on the NORWAY Dec. 18th 1981.
I just found everything.. all the "Aboard the Norway" Daily activities flyers.. and the wonderful.. full length broadway show brochure.. HELLO DOLLY was the show at the time.

I have the Norway color brochure with pics of the rooms etc.. and the ship Map.. Can't beleive I saved all of this...

I should really scan these and post..

Druke I
November 25th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Maritime Matters is reporting today that Norway has been seen, far out to sea, presumably under tow, from Changi Airport, Singapore, destination unknown.

Rotterdam
November 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Where is she????

wvdleek
November 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Where is she????

According to the latest reports (on other boards), still in Port Klang.

Rotterdam
November 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Willem for the accurate information!

goferatsea
December 15th, 2005, 05:29 AM
The link is not working. So just copy & paste the url in address bar, and you'll reach the page !

I've been onboard the great lady several times as passenger (and I did work also a year with NCL onboard) and this vessel is part of my life. I did manage also to go onboard last march in Germany... Sad view but that's life !

Take care all
Ced

-------------------------
60 cruises
Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, NCL, Costa, Princess, Cunard, Crystal & Epirotiki

Rotterdam
April 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Any update????? Last I heard was that a sale was pending......

BayMan123
April 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I too have fond memories of sailing on the Norway.

I remember the CD talking about how big the ship was and that they had a different color carpet going towards the bow and another color going towards the stern. Determining the color you would know if you were going toward the bow or stern.

Memories......

dougnewmanatsea
April 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Any update????? Last I heard was that a sale was pending......
She is still off Port Klang under the name BLUE LADY.

Recent reports (in the last week or so) indicate that she has been sold but the buyer is unknown.

This most likely means she is going to the breakers :( .

cheewiee
April 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
She is still off Port Klang under the name BLUE LADY.

Recent reports (in the last week or so) indicate that she has been sold but the buyer is unknown.

This most likely means she is going to the breakers :( .
I don't know.... It seems a few sales have fallen through because of the cost of removing aspestos before scrapping...

I have this sinking suspcion the Norway's ultimate fate will be on the bottom somewhere, resulting in a nice insurance check for her owners...

Better on the bottom then some beach I say...

lineboat
April 28th, 2006, 09:38 AM
According to Zee News in an article from OSLO April 24 The 'Blue Lady' ex 'France' ,'Norway' the new owner is one Bangladeshi Lokman Hossain, who owns or runs I guess, Jiri Sudebar steel re-rolling mills in Chittagong.
The article is titled 'Indian firms bid to dismantle asbestos-laden cruise ship'
reported by ZEENEWS.COM.
This has been draging on for along time and anyway you look at it the day is coming when a piece of history will be destroyed. Asbestos or no asbestos and with or without enviromentalists the ship will be destroyed.
This ship perhaps more than any other afloat, except maybe the 'United States' has such a history from its development to its last voyage that its end is so sad.For those who love ships this is a painful process.

Tim

cruisingator2
April 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
There are some photos posted on another cruise site and she is starting to look kind of bad. Rust streaks. Of course a good coat of paint and one would think that she is ready to take on passengers again.

Cap'n Cork
May 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I am one of those fortunate few who had the privilege of sailing aboard the Norway in both incarnations--as the France when I was a timid, shy and awkward teenager, and much later as a forty-something when she had become the SS Norway.

I remember the high level of service and the elegance of the France when it was owned by France's CGT, and regret that I spent so much time hiding in my cabin. That was not a mistake I repeated when I sailed aboard her again when she became the Norway; I made it a point to roam all over the ship.

I suppose that Star Cruises' decision to scrap the Norway was probably inevitable, especially since nobody proved willing to put up the money or organization to save her. But I'm saddened anyway.

chasetf
May 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I was fortunate enough to have sailed the France in 1963. I had just graduated from High School when my aunt and uncle were relocating from Michigan to Brussels. I was offered a free trip to Europe if I would agree to watch my cousins who were 5, 7, 9, 11 and 12 at the time.

Because my Uncle was an executive with Ford, we traveled first class. I flew to Michigan to join them, we all flew to New York to board her, and sail in the late afternoon. We arrived at Southhampton, and then disembarked at La Havre. It was my first sailing experience and we sailed in grand style. The weather was great... the Atlantic in July... The sea was pretty mild although a couple of the kids were seasick for a short time at different times. I ended up spending the rest of the summer in Europe, flying home for start of college. It was a great experience for a 17 year old. :D

I will miss her and wish I had sailed her as the Norway.:(

GraceNWill
June 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
We sailed on the Norway in 1998 and 2000. The first trip we were in one of the renovated suites on Fjord deck. We had unbelievable views from windows that practically went from one side of the room to the other. This was just an oceanview stateroom but had many of the old features of the SS France - art deco furniture and wall hangings, a beautiful vanity and marble bathroom, including bathtub. It was much like a mini-suite or junior-suite in some of today's ships.

We fell in love with the Norway that trip. The International lounge (I think that was the name) where they served afternoon tea, was one of the most beautiful rooms I have seen on any cruise line. The statues of Neptune with the beautiful amethyst? crystals was just breathtaking. Both dining rooms were lovely, espcially the one with the deep blue ceiling that looked as if the stars were shining above. Noisy, but beautiful!

Our second trip in 2000 we had an owner's suite on Sky deck with the wrap-around balcony that overlooked the basketball court and pool....we practically lived on that spot!

The art work - I wonder where that went? Some really amazing murals, tapestries and artwork on the ship. We would always discover some new artwork each day.

That last cruise did have some drawbacks, though. We felt that NCL had already given up on the Norway. The food quality and choices had degraded from just two years before. Service in the dining room suffered a bit, too. Probably would not have noticed if we had not been on the ship before. Our table mates were very happy with everything but we noticed the difference.

We were told that because the prices on the Norway were really rock-bottom (one reason we could afford the Owner's Suite) that NCL was not going to invest any time or effort in her. I think they were very understaffed on that second cruise.

Such a shame to see what has happened to that lovely ship. Didn't the Mona Lisa travel on her? We will always treasure our trips on her.

seamama1
June 4th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I sailed her the first year NCL put her in the water and then again the next year and then 2 years later. She was gorgeous.

Does anyone remember? One of the bars/lounges was one floor down from the main swimming pool and there were "port holes" behind the bar where you could actually see into the pool and watch the people swimming?

And all the wonderful art. I recall the advertising as mentioning "over one million dollars of original artwork by modern-day masters".

The cabin on my first cruise was way forward, with an upper and lower berth only and was about the size of a British phone booth. It had one porthole.

What a treasure she was. It's a shame the way she is going to end up!

dougnewmanatsea
June 4th, 2006, 01:00 AM
The art work - I wonder where that went?
All the artworks and other "items of value" were removed by NCL before she was sold for scrap, and they are hoing to incorporate them into future ships.

Druke I
June 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Maritime Matters reports 6-05-06 that the Indian Supreme Court has lifted the (temporary) ban on scrapping the Norway at Alang. The ban was in place due to asbestos issues.

Sea-going tugs have been ordered for the final trip into Alang.

It certainly appears to be the end of Norway.

cruisingator2
June 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Breaking news from Maritime Matters. Once again last minute efforts to the save this ship.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/newsupdates2.htm

dougnewmanatsea
June 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Breaking news from Maritime Matters.
Just a note - that link is to SS Maritime, which has nothing to do with Maritime Matters.

Frankly, I can't see her being saved this late in the game, but one never knows.

CincinnatiKayte
June 11th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I had the privilege of wearing the captains hat and veiwing from the bridge on my 27th birthday, that photo hangs with pride on my hallway wall.
I will forever remember that cruise. By far the most wonderful trip.

K

lineboat
June 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM
For two days now Mr. Goossens is saying the SS BLUE LADY is at Fujerah,UAE on his site. I have been unable to find any other reference as to the validity of it. I have not found any untruths on his site in the past and he seems very positive of what he is saying. Facts are facts...there must be someone with direct contacts in the UAE that could verify the ships location.
Of course it is just another last ditch effort in the demise of these old ships but sometimes they work.It's still unlikely to see the SS UNITED STATES or SS INDEPENDANCE come off the dock under their own steam again despite all the stories and promises.

H184A
June 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I was able to confirm that Sheikh's are working on buying the Norway. My contact in the UAE told me she is in the coastal waters of the UAE.

Mark
June 15th, 2006, 08:16 AM
That is great news...they certainly have the money to buy her and fix her up...let's all hope they are successful in keeping the old Norway from those Indians and their torches!:cool:

chasetf
June 17th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I was able to confirm that Sheikh's are working on buying the Norway. My contact in the UAE told me she is in the coastal waters of the UAE.
Seem to contradict this report from the "Times of India" report dated 14 June. I hope your report is true.... ;)

AHMEDABAD: Months after the French battleship Le Clemenceau was sent back before reaching the Alang Sosiya Ship Breaking Yard (ASSBY) in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat, another ship the Blue Lady is heading towards Alang for dismantling and expected to touch Indian waters next week.

But unlike the French aircraft carrier Le Clemenceu which hit the choppy waters because of the environmentalists strong opposition which forced the French government to call back the ship, the sailing has been smooth for Blue Lady (SS Norway).

This 46,000-tonne ship is likely to touch Indian waters between June 18 to June 23 and would be docked in Bhavnagar anchorage where the customs department would carry out inspection and then the Supreme Court-appointed monitoring committee would inspect the vessel before granting beaching permission.

The ship has been purchased by Rajiv Reniwal of Haryana Ship Breakers Pvt Ltd who is optimistic that the Blue Lady will not meet the fate of Le Clemenceu which was made to return to France in February last by the apex court following environmental concerns.

In view of strong opposition by environmentalists who alleged that Clemenceu contained very large quantities of hazardous substances like asbestos and other toxic wastes, the French President Jacques Chirac had ordered Le Clemenceu return to France

CaptChris
June 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
She is going back and forth between India and UAE. There is talk of using her as a centerpiece for a waterpark in the UAE. She would basically become a clown ship. I have seen a pic on another board that depicts what she will look like. I will try to find the link.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1108595

There is a lot of information including information from the port authorities in both India and UAE.