Sharks near Progreso???

maldenmusic

I've found out that it isn't uncommon to see nurse sharks in the ocean off Cozumel (although I've never seen any myself). Are they common around Progreso? Are there any other kind of sharks you might encounter here?

The waters around Progreso are from the Gulf so they are not clear. I'm not sure if you could see a shark if there was one.

The waters around Progreso are from the Gulf so they are not clear. I'm not sure if you could see a shark if there was one.

We usually just put our feet in on the beach at Progreso although this time we are going further east and planned on swimming a little. Just wondering.

What's cool is seeing all the sting-rays from the bus on the ride on the long pier. They were swimming right at the top of the water, and you could see them very clearly!

As many times as I"ve been on that pier I've never noticed the rays....will have to pay more attention this next time!

• 1 month later...
Sharks are everywhere, near every beach! Luckily, you won't encounter them! But, I don't believe there is shoreline ANYWHERE that won't have sharks.

Certainally not oneyou would like to swim in; maybe the north or south pole is discouraging to sharks but many like warm water.

We have some and I have seen them and caught a few, but people are in the water all days of the year and we haven't heard of sharks biting anyone for years.

• 2 weeks later...

The double decker bus driver said the only sharks in Progreso were the "land" ones :) LOL... He said the water is too shallow so they do not have a problem with them. The water was very green when we were there a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
The double decker bus driver said the only sharks in Progreso were the "land" ones :) LOL... He said the water is too shallow so they do not have a problem with them. The water was very green when we were there a few days ago.

Honey, that driver stretched the truth a bit :p.

Living in Alabama and vacationing on the Gulf and over 10 years in Sarasota, I have spent a large part of my life on a coast in the Gulf of Mexico.

Sharks of many kinds can be found in the Gulf. Sharks frequently feed close to shore but that doesn't mean you will see them.

To answer your stated question, it's unlikely you will see them but that doesn't mean they aren't there :).

And, it would be very unlikely that just dipping your toes or splashing around close to shore would put you where you could see them or in danger. Possible, but very unlikely. Progreso probably "doesn't have a problem with sharks" because shark attacks are pretty rare in the Gulf but it's not because sharks "have a problem" with shallow water.

In all the time I've spent in and near the gulf, I've only seen a handful of sharks and they were swimming below fishing piers.

If you're lucky, maybe you can see some dolphins! At least they jump so you can see them!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived