PDA

View Full Version : Quick review of our recent Bahamas Celebration Cruise

LMHC
March 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
We just returned from a cruise on the Celebration and overall had a great cruise. We have been on about 10 cruises on several different lines and were travelling with our 12 year old daughter. The cruise was booked as a cruise and stay package, so we stayed 2 days in Freeport and 2 days going to and returning from the Bahamas.

The Ship: The ship was overall in good shape for her age. There were a few age spots with some rust here or there and molding problems in the cabin. For the size of the ship we found enough activities to keep us busy for a short trip, but would not want to spend a week on this ship. We were in a category 5 inside cabin which is the full size inside cabin. The first cabin had a great shower and our beds were pushed together. Upon our return, because we stayed on the island, we were in a different cabin which had the beds separated and low water pressure. We did really like the sliding door shower as opposed to the clinging curtain on most ships. The cabin was on par with other ships for an inside cabin.

The Food: We started with the on deck buffet, which we did not find that good with a small amount of choices. We found the Rio restuarant buffet for the Bahamas sail away and it was much better. They also have a pretty good breakfast buffet in there. We ate in the Crystal Dining Room both nights and most of the food was good, but not great. Service was poor the first night and great the second, so we were glad we returned after we almost opted for the buffet instead. Also we tried the Trattoria for snacks and it was mostly good with the soups and pizza being most enjoyed. Also they have a pretty good variety of free scooped ice cream available at Sprinkles on the top deck which was nice.

Overall: We would do it again for a short break as the price is right and the crew really made the cruise. The show the first night was poor the second night was really good. We stopped by the kids club and only a few kids there so our daughter was not interested and later went by and there was 4 boys playing video games, but not well attended overall. We were only bothered by sea motion for a couple hours one night. Although during spring break there were not many rowdy teens with a nice mix of older, younger and families as our fellow cruisers. It is close to on par with other lines and keep your expectation in line with the price you paid, keep an open mind and have a good time.

Christianboy_83
April 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi I am supposed to go this summer and I have a few questions:

Where did you guys stay in Freeport?
Who did you book through? Celebration or the timeshare?
Were there any additional charges/fees?

LMHC
April 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi I am supposed to go this summer and I have a few questions:

Where did you guys stay in Freeport?
Who did you book through? Celebration or the timeshare?
Were there any additional charges/fees?

We stayed at the Island Seas resort for 2 days. Most stayed either there or Grand Lucaya which is close to the market. Island Seas is further out, but a much nicer beach. The resort could use some renovation, but the beach is great and they offer a free shuttle to the market.

We booked via Special-T travel which was a timeshare package, but we did our tour in Orlando and chose not to tour in the Bahamas so no Welcome Center or anything involved other than going to the ship.

We paid additional fees upon booking to upgrade from the very small(just upper/lower bunk) inside room to an inside room large enough to accomodate our family. We also paid the port fees at this time. Our only on board charges were the $12 per person daily service charge(which is their words for auto tipping) and our on board purchases. Also the $15 per day valet parking charge for port of Palm Beach which is paid when dropping off your car. The only surprise charge we did not know about was an $18 per person fuel surcharge due to the high price they pay for fuel.

We also chose to purchase the transportation to and from the ship to the resort for $17 per person for what we thought would be convenience. I would likely opt for a taxi next time as the bus that took us took almost an hour to leave the port so not really convenient.

Every trip has some bumps, but we would definitely do it again.

Christianboy_83
April 3rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your quick rely. So how far is the port from the Grand Lucaya?

Geoffrey52
April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.*********.info/avatar3.jpgThanks for your quick rely.

LMHC
April 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your quick rely. So how far is the port from the Grand Lucaya?

It's about a 15 minute ride on the bus from the port. I am not sure what a cab would cost, but again we were not impressed by the big bus service offered by the ship. Also if staying on the island due to departing passengers needing to be off the ship by 10:30am upon arrival in the Bahamas you may not be able to check into your resort until 4pm. Our resort stored our luggage and we took the shuttle to Lucaya Marketplace and had a slow lunch and did some shopping.

Christianboy_83
April 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Were there any additional cost that I would need to know about? I think she mentioned something to me about hotel taxes and rental car taxes. I know there is parking charges which @ $15 per day should come up to a total cost of $60. Also gratuity per day is $12 per person, so that should come up to $48 for me and a guest. Am I missing anything?

LMHC
April 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Were there any additional cost that I would need to know about? I think she mentioned something to me about hotel taxes and rental car taxes. I know there is parking charges which @ $15 per day should come up to a total cost of $60. Also gratuity per day is $12 per person, so that should come up to $48 for me and a guest. Am I missing anything?

I think you have it covered other than the unavoidable $18 per person fuel supplement. Also like most other cruises soda and alcoholic beverages on board are extra. We spent a pretty good amount on food in the Bahamas as prices are a little higher than we expect her in the states. Enjoy your cruise.