PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in NOLA

momof5k
March 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I have spent the day surfing the web, perusing Cruise Critic threads and making phone calls to hotels trying to decide where to stay four a few days before our August cruise (and where to park while sailing)

Here is what i have narrowed it down to:

The Holiday Inn on Royal Street has a park and cruise rate of $149.95 a night and it includes parking while sailing.

or

The Quality Inn Maison St Charles which does not offer free cruise parking anymore (apparently) but the AAA rate is $80.10 a night and parking is $17. This will mean paying for street car passes to and from the French Quarter (there are 10 in our group) but includes a continental breakfast. Hmmm..

or

There is the Parc St. Charles hotel near the quarter where the rate is $89 per night and parking (including while on the cruise) is $10 per night. This hotel has no breakfast, and no pool...

Sigh... :confused::confused:

Anyone have any feedback about any of these hotels they could share? Or suggestions for something else? When we sailed out of NOLA in 2011 we stayed at The Drury and liked the location, we could walk everywhere in the french quarter, lovely rooftop pool...and they had a park and cruise package. This was going to be our plan this time too but they are renovating and are not offering the parking package again until 2013. In the meantime, parking is $25 per night :(

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging in there and thanks in advance for any advise you can share!! :confused::confused:

Budget Queen
April 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and the location is excellent. I would not base my bookings on a "breakfast". :) Location is what is important to me. :) Parking is in short supply in these areas and this seems to be a good deal for a week.

momof5k
April 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and the location is excellent. I would not base my bookings on a "breakfast". :) Location is what is important to me. :) Parking is in short supply in these areas and this seems to be a good deal for a week.

Thanks Budget Queen! My hubby is a bit concerned staying SO close to the French Quarter and all the Bourbon street action with our kids. Any thoughts on that?

Budget Queen
April 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Budget Queen! My hubby is a bit concerned staying SO close to the French Quarter and all the Bourbon street action with our kids. Any thoughts on that?

There is no Buurbon St "action" on Royal. Bourbon stays on Bourbon, Royal is "artsy", and stays that way too. :)

You would have no problem in avoiding Bourbon all together if you choose to.

momof5k
April 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
There is no Buurbon St "action" on Royal. Bourbon stays on Bourbon, Royal is "artsy", and stays that way too. :)

You would have no problem in avoiding Bourbon all together if you choose to.

Thank you!

medicalma'am
June 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I am curious what you ended up choosing. We have stayed at the Maison St. Charles and are booked there again for our Jan. '13 cruise.

momof5k
June 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
We've booked the Holiday Inn and sail in August. I'll post our thoughts afterwards if that would be helpful... :)

River_Rat
June 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM
We are going out of NOLA in April 2013, and just booked

Holiday Inn Express NEW ORLEANS EAST On BULLARD AVE.

Has any one ever stayed there? :) :D

Lmack
June 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
We're sailing on the Navigator on a TA ending in New Orleans on Nov 17. Since we've never been to New Orleans so we're planning to stay an extra couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel that's moderately priced? We'll be flying out early Mon morning. Any advice or suggestions anyone has regarding hotels, transportation from the port to the hotel to the airport & anything else we should know or be asking would be appreciated. Thanks.

ahysmith
June 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
We are going on a group cruise and the TA has us in Super 8... It is very inexpensive (like 77.00 nightly) and you can park and cruise...

Anyone stayed there? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true and is making me a little nervous.....

endymion6942
June 21st, 2012, 08:35 PM
I have spent the day surfing the web, perusing Cruise Critic threads and making phone calls to hotels trying to decide where to stay four a few days before our August cruise (and where to park while sailing)

Here is what i have narrowed it down to:

The Holiday Inn on Royal Street has a park and cruise rate of $149.95 a night and it includes parking while sailing.

or

The Quality Inn Maison St Charles which does not offer free cruise parking anymore (apparently) but the AAA rate is $80.10 a night and parking is $17. This will mean paying for street car passes to and from the French Quarter (there are 10 in our group) but includes a continental breakfast. Hmmm..

or

There is the Parc St. Charles hotel near the quarter where the rate is $89 per night and parking (including while on the cruise) is $10 per night. This hotel has no breakfast, and no pool...

Sigh... :confused::confused:

Anyone have any feedback about any of these hotels they could share? Or suggestions for something else? When we sailed out of NOLA in 2011 we stayed at The Drury and liked the location, we could walk everywhere in the french quarter, lovely rooftop pool...and they had a park and cruise package. This was going to be our plan this time too but they are renovating and are not offering the parking package again until 2013. In the meantime, parking is $25 per night :(

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging in there and thanks in advance for any advise you can share!! :confused::confused:

As a local, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on Royal St. It is a good location for you to see things safely with the kids.

momof5k
June 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
As a local, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on Royal St. It is a good location for you to see things safely with the kids.

Thanks so much Scott! That is exactly what i was hoping to hear ;)

Budget Queen
June 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
We are going on a group cruise and the TA has us in Super 8... It is very inexpensive (like 77.00 nightly) and you can park and cruise...

Anyone stayed there? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true and is making me a little nervous.....

Sorry, no place I would ever consider staying, IF I were doing NO touring. You are miles away and will have to drive, then find parking, or take a costly cab back and forth. In my opinion, the only plus, is your parking. It is a lousy location otherwise.

Lmack
June 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM

Any suggestions for us staying in New Orleans after our Navigator sailing (It's a TA from Barcelona.) for a couple of days & then flying out? As I mentioned before, we don't know anything about the area thus the reason we decided to stay a couple of days after the cruise.

Thanks
Lynn

tahoemw
June 22nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I stayed at Doubletree a few times; right across from Harrah's. I also stayed at Ramada on Burbon St; easy to walk around; I wanted to book the Hilton and the Marriott, I believe they are at Convention Area.

endymion6942
June 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM

Where is it located?

ahysmith
June 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Where is it located?
6322 Chef Menteur Highway, I-10 Exit 240 B

I know nothing about the area.... Would like to be in a clean, safe area...

endymion6942
June 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM
6322 Chef Menteur Highway, I-10 Exit 240 B

I know nothing about the area.... Would like to be in a clean, safe area...

You do not want to stay there! the hotel is located in an area far from downtown and located in one of the least desirable locations imaginable. You are far removed from anything that someone could possibility want to be around. It is basically in the east where the area is still trying to come back from Katrina. I don't want to scare you, but I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in that area.
Now, if you don't care about being downtown or near the French Quarter, you should reconsider and look at motels in Metairie. It is much safer. IMHO

imola
June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Any suggestions for us staying in New Orleans after our Navigator sailing (It's a TA from Barcelona.) for a couple of days & then flying out? As I mentioned before, we don't know anything about the area thus the reason we decided to stay a couple of days after the cruise.

Thanks
Lynn

Lynn, we just spent a week at the French Market Inn and are going back in Dec for another week. Great old hotel, which they are currently upgrading. You can walk to anywhere from there. The staff is great and the rooms are clean. The New Orleans School of Cooking is right around the corner and well worth taking a class. If you need a more modern place with lots of "stuff" this may not work for you. If you like historic, clean, friendly and reasonable then give them a ring.

endymion6942
June 26th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Lynn, we just spent a week at the French Market Inn and are going back in Dec for another week. Great old hotel, which they are currently upgrading. You can walk to anywhere from there. The staff is great and the rooms are clean. The New Orleans School of Cooking is right around the corner and well worth taking a class. If you need a more modern place with lots of "stuff" this may not work for you. If you like historic, clean, friendly and reasonable then give them a ring.

Good choice.

SIENA6334
July 12th, 2012, 10:26 AM
My friend and I are cruising out of NOLA in Feb.-Mar 2013. We just booked the Staybridge Inn and Suites before and after the cruise. Up to this point I have been pleased with the location (I know it is close to Drury Inn and Harrahs) and the price. Could someone tell me anything about this hotel and ease my mind a bit. Never been to NOLA before and we are staying 4 days after cruise. Thanks!!:D

crichard312
July 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
This is NOT a safe area of town at all! I would not stay in New Orleans East. I am from New Orleans, and we do not drive out there at all. I would look at the Holiday Inn in Gretna, Hampton in Metairie, or Quality Inn on St. Charles.

crichard312
July 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Staybridge inn and suites is fine. Have a great stay. Try the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner. Great food!

SIENA6334
July 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Thank you for info. Have been trying to research places to eat n must do things. Four days may not be enough but still excited to do what I can within my budget. Any suggestions on restaurants and tours would be appreciated.

Anguillafan
July 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Good choice.

I'm sailing Jan. '13. In terms of good location, what does that mean? I haven't done any research yet on New Orleans. We are flying, not driving, so our location needs are (and in this order)
a) touring N.O.
b) getting to and from the cruise
c) getting to and from the airport.

I have no idea where the cruise port is in relation to the areas we will want to visit. Thanks for any input.

Lydia

ewenix
July 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'm hoping someone who has cruised out of NO before, or a local can provide me with some guidance. (We're sailing on RCL Navigator in Nov. - Julia Street #2)

I've been looking at NO hotels in relation to the port.
(Specifically looking for ones in walking distance.)

I have read some comments in a thread about how traffic by the port can get bad and if you are taking a cab you'll want to leave plenty of time for boarding as you may be sitting in traffic for a while. But also not to get there too early because the terminal is small and there is supposedly not enough room to those waiting to board.
I've also read other comments about how you can't really walk to the port.

We are flying into MSY and will not have a car but I was going to book Embassy Suites as it is 2 blocks from the whale lot (saw this lot recommended to those driving.) So it looks as though I can walk 2 blocks, entering the port terminal via the whale lot. Or possibly Hilton NO Riverside if I can walk through the Riverwalk mall to the terminal.

So, if we really can't walk to the port then my hotel search area gets much larger, and I'd be looking closer to/or in the french quarter as we are flying in the day before.

Also, I've never been to NO before should I avoid Bourbon street altogether since I'll have a couple 13yr olds with me? I'd like to at least walk down the street and look around a bit in the early evening.

crichard312
July 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Walking to the port is difficult to do. It may look like on maps you can do this, but with traffice, it is difficult. Traffic is crazy, and the port is small. I would take a taxie. There is a special lane of cabs, and they can get to the front faster than a regular car. Be ready to wait and do not let it ruin your trip.

crichard312
July 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Lydia,
I would look at the Sheraton on Canal or the Drury Inn. These are both great hotels, and in safe areas. Remember you get what you pay for, and some cheaper hotels in New Orleans are not in the best part of town. Avoid mid-city hotels.

CimW
July 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hi all,
What about La Quinta by the airport? We are thinking of staying in an (cheap)airport hotel our first night, then moving on to the French Quarter.

La Quinta has good reviews on a travel site. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to walk to the Mcdonalds, which looks to be a block and a half away, in daylight hours?

CimW
July 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
What about La Quinta by the airport? We are thinking of staying in an (cheap)airport hotel our first night, then moving on to the French Quarter.

La Quinta has good reviews on a travel site. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to walk to the Mcdonalds, which looks to be a block and a half away, in daylight hours?

I just found the La Quinta Inn West Bank, would this be a better choice? It looks like there is a mall right there. Safe to walk to?

crichard312
July 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Sorry for the delay in responses, we were on our cruise. I need address, as there are several in both locations. Some are ok, some are not. I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Harvey. It has a good place to eat like a block away. Safe to walk there.

CimW
July 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks for your response.

We are really looking at the La Quinta in Kenner on Williams. I actually made a reservation there a couple days ago and the rate is pretty good.

So I think we will stay here but just need to know if it would be safe to walk to the McDonald's.

crichard312
July 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Depends on which one you booked. Is it the one on Veterans? If so yes.

crichard312
July 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Yes, this is a safe area of town. Great place to have some fun on the cornor of vets and williams. Enjoy your stay!

CimW
July 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks!

Lmack
July 31st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Just booked last night on PL the Hyatt Regency New Orleans 4 * (downtown area) for $68 after several bids. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? We had hoped to get lucky & get something in the French Quarter area.

Now can anyone offer suggestions or advice regarding must see places to see & eat & transportation to airport since this is our first time in New Orleans. We'll be coming in on the Navigator TA sailing on Nov 17 and flying out on Nov 19.

Thanks

TerReuv
July 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
We wil be cruising out of NOLA next October (2013) and will be driving from Atlanta. We will be getting there a few days early to see the town and need a good place to stay. We will have my parents with us and my mother uses a wheelchair (but can also walk soem too). We plan to drive to the port (leaving on the 20th on Carnival Conquest) since it is easier for us with her wheelchair and when we split the parking between 2 couples it is not so expensive. We do want the free breakfast and we would prefer to leave the van and use the streetcar or walk when we are tourists in NO. What hotels would you recommend? We would prefer something under $100/night to keep costs down. We had looked at the Quality Inn in Gretna. Any ideas.

crichard312
August 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
I would recommend walking the Riverwalk attached to your hotel. I would also recommend the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner. Great New Orleans style food. Drago's is in the hotel, this is a great place to eat. We eat at Drago's when ever we can. The owner of this place gave over 100,000 free meals to Red Cross workers following Katrina. When the news media made a story on him he got mad. He said he did it to help, not for them to do a news story. True Katrina hero!
You will like the hotel, it is a great place to stay,

crichard312
August 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Holiday Inn in Gretna is better. This is just 10 minute drive from downtown. You can park just off St. Charles Avenue for free and then take the street car into town.

Lmack
August 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM
I would recommend walking the Riverwalk attached to your hotel. I would also recommend the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner. Great New Orleans style food. Drago's is in the hotel, this is a great place to eat. We eat at Drago's when ever we can. The owner of this place gave over 100,000 free meals to Red Cross workers following Katrina. When the news media made a story on him he got mad. He said he did it to help, not for them to do a news story. True Katrina hero!
You will like the hotel, it is a great place to stay,

Are you referring to the hotel we got on Priceline - Hyatt Regency? What about transportation from the cruise port to the hotel, and from the hotel to the airport?

Thanks for any information you could share with us C Richard.
Lynn

phantomII
August 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I am looking at the La Quinta on the West Bank for Jan 2013. $99.00 a night and free parking during the 7 day cruise. Any thoughts? I see a bunch of restaurants located .01 mile from the hotel, I wonder if they are any good. I just called the hotel and they told me it is 17.00 for a taxi to the port. That sounds high to basically just go across the bridge.
BTW we have been to NOLA twice before for cruises. In 2009 we stayed at the Drury with free parking. The free parking is gone now. In 2011 we stayed at the Quality Inn on St. Charles, they had free parking then and it is no longer available.

pawpaw02_1
August 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Check out Hampton Inn on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden Dist.(504-899-9990 ask for cruise pkg) $129 + free parking + breakfest. Street cars run right in front of hotel (all day ride $3). No Shuttle to port but not to far. What I'm doing is drive over & drop off bags and drive back to park while the wife gets ready. Then taking the street car back to port.

phantomII
August 2nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Check out Hampton Inn on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden Dist.(504-899-9990 ask for cruise pkg) $129 + free parking + breakfest. Street cars run right in front of hotel (all day ride $3). No Shuttle to port but not to far. What I'm doing is drive over & drop off bags and drive back to park while the wife gets ready. Then taking the street car back to port.
I don't think the street cars will take you to the port terminal.

pawpaw02_1
August 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I know it will take you to the River Walk Mall which is next door to the port. The map of the River Front line shows to go past the port to hwy 90 to John Churchhill Chase station .

RTA Map
http://www.norta.com/Maps_Schedules/SystemMap/IndividualMap/index.html?ID=2

crichard312
August 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
The luggage will not really fit on the streetcars along the river, these are smaller than the regular ones. The cab fare from Gretna is about normal for New Orleans. There are good places to eat walking distance to the hotel. I live in Gretna. What kind of food do you like and I will be happy to make suggestions.

phantomII
August 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
The cab fare from Gretna is about normal for New Orleans. There are good places to eat walking distance to the hotel. I live in Gretna. What kind of food do you like and I will be happy to make suggestions.
Steak house like Outback or similar with drinks available. Thank you.

crichard312
August 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Tony's Mandina's is just around the cornor. Easy walk. They have steaks and italian along with some seafood. Drinks here are great!
The Outback is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Take the Expressway to the Barataria Exit and turn left onto Barataria. It is down on the left. I would recommend Tony's it is really good.
There is also a china buffet that is excellent. It is called Chopsticks. It is in Academy's shopping center right near the hotel. There is a Wendy's there also. All three of these are walking distance. If you need any other help, let me know.

phantomII
August 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Tony's Mandina's is just around the cornor. Easy walk. They have steaks and italian along with some seafood. Drinks here are great!
The Outback is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Take the Expressway to the Barataria Exit and turn left onto Barataria. It is down on the left. I would recommend Tony's it is really good.
There is also a china buffet that is excellent. It is called Chopsticks. It is in Academy's shopping center right near the hotel. There is a Wendy's there also. All three of these are walking distance. If you need any other help, let me know.
Thank you for the info.

Jimbo50
August 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just stumbled upon this board. Looking for a hotel and found a rea.sonable price at the Astor Crowne. Anyone have a idea about this place as well as it's location. Would like to spend a couple days there and then cruise out on 9-23.
Been a long tme since I was in NOLA and can not remember much, so hoping for a recommendation.

crichard312
August 5th, 2012, 01:00 AM

This is NOT a safe area of town. Avoid New Orleans East at all costs! I am a local, cannot pay me to go out there.

teeny25
August 10th, 2012, 10:08 PM
We are staying at the Quality Inn in Gretna. There is a Vietamese restaurant called Pho Tau Bay right by there(according to yelp).

Will be be able to walk there? Have you tried it? I am vegetarian so their menu appealed to me. Don't worry-we will get our fill of NOLA food the next two days and the following Sunday. :)

Thanks!

crichard312
August 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have never been there, but I heard it is good.

93COBRA
August 11th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I just booked the Embassy Suites Convention Center can someone tell me if this was a good choice. I hope its a good safe area. Thanks

crichard312
August 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, you will be fine. Late at night, I would walk in numbers from the quarter or take a taxie. The hotel area is safe, just what you wallk through from the quarter can be questionable if you do not have several walking with you.

drewmo
August 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Crichard I was looking at The Queen Anne or perhaps the Queen and Crescent. Either one of those worth it or is there something else you would recommend?

CimW
August 12th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I just wanted to come back to this thread and say thank you to crichard312 for all of the information you are providing for New Orleans!!

:):):):)

crichard312
August 13th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, I do not mind passing information about town. Since Katrina, some areas are just not safe, so hoping to keep others out of the wrong parts of town. I do know know The Queen Ann. Where is this located?

Lmack
August 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Are you referring to the hotel we got on Priceline - Hyatt Regency? What about transportation from the cruise port to the hotel, and from the hotel to the airport?

Thanks for any information you could share with us C Richard.
Lynn

C Richard, do you have any information or advice regarding the hotel we got on PL - Hyatt Regency? Any information or advice you can share with us would be appreciated since we've never been to New Orleans. We'll be disembarking from the Navigator on Nov 17 and flying out on Nov 19th. Could you suggest transportation from the ship to the hotel, hotel to areas around New Orleans/ French Quarter, and hotel to airport.

Thanks

crichard312
August 15th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hyatt is great place, but not a safe walk from the quarter. By the time you send the cab fares to and from the hotel for the quarter, you might as well pay a little more and stay at a hotel where you can talk to the quarter.
It would be safe to walk during the day... but NO WAY at night. Cabs are the best way to get around, just do not take the van ones, they charge for a full van even it it is not full.

crichard312
August 15th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Is the Thanksgiving weekend? Things could be a little different if it is. There is a big football game that weekend between Gambling and Southern Football teams. There are activities all weekend for those two schools. If you look up the schools on the internet, the schools will probably have information on this big weekend. The school activities take over the quarter.

jefftb
August 16th, 2012, 10:14 PM
We've booked the Holiday Inn and sail in August. I'll post our thoughts afterwards if that would be helpful... :)

I am on Aug 25 Carnival cruise myself and thinking about the same. Holiday Inn has not had great reviews online, my only concern. $149.95 is not bad for location and parking. The shuttle to the port is still $7-$8.

Artie212
August 17th, 2012, 01:36 PM
CRICHARD312...thanks for all the information

How is the Country Inn and Suites on magazine Street......we are looking at it for next April

Thanks very much

Artie212

crichard312
August 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Country Inn is a good place. Not too much noise from the quarter, but close enough to visit the quarter if you would like.

amlandry
August 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM

Does it include transportation to the dock?

amlandry
August 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I just booked the Embassy Suites Convention Center can someone tell me if this was a good choice. I hope its a good safe area. Thanks

Yes it's fine. Just don't venture towards canal and bourbon as the sun sets with children.

2McCormicks
August 28th, 2012, 01:02 PM
We are sailing out September 16th and have found the Quality Inn on 100 Westbank Expressway. They offer a room, breakfast, free WiFi, free parking and shuttle to and from the cruiseport for $109.99. (we're just here for the cruise, no exploring)

Good deal!!?? Good area???

phantomII
August 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
We are sailing out September 16th and have found the Quality Inn on 100 Westbank Expressway. They offer a room, breakfast, free WiFi, free parking and shuttle to and from the cruiseport for $109.99. (we're just here for the cruise, no exploring)

Good deal!!?? Good area???
That sounds real good. I guess I need to find that.

cruisecritic2
August 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Has anyone ever stayed at the Ramada/Metairie on N. Causeway Blvd? Is this a good hotel and a good area?

Thanks

crichard312
August 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Westbank hotel is in a good area. It didn't flood in the hurricane either. Hope lights come back on soon!

kyrisong1
August 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Got a good rate (I think) for W NOLA on Poydras, is this a ok place????
Hope so, it's nonrefundable because of the price!!!
Thanks, Carole

cruisecritic2
August 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi crichard. How is the Ramada/Metairie on N. Causeway Blvd? Is it a good hotel and is it in a good location? Thanks

vegasglitz
August 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Can someone tell me the PROS & CONS for each - Country Inn & Suites and Hampton Inn & Suites (St. Charles).

I have reservations for January 2013 at both of these hotels and I need to choose one. I was looking at the Drury, but they are under construction and I don't want to deal with that.

This would be pre-cruise for two (2) days to tour NOLA and I really want to see the FQ, Jackson Square and Riverfront area (Mall).

Also, has anyone ever eaten at The Joint? If so, reviews. We are looking for local places vs. tourist eateries, any suggestions?

Thanks & have a great day! :)
Deb

CimW
August 30th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Just wanted to put this in here.
We stayed at the Prince Conti hotel on Aug 17th and 18th before our cruise.

We were originally going to stay one night at the airport and one night in the French Quarter but decided to stay at the same hotel.

We liked this hotel, it's nothing fancy but it was clean. It has a small lobby, no courtyard.
The location was great for Bourbon Street.
About 3 blocks to Canal St and 8 blocks to Cafe Du Monde. Down on Canal St and Bourbon there is a CVS pharmacy which was handy.
Watch what you reserve, they have inside rooms with no windows.
We had a window but it looked out on a rooftop, so you might want to reserve a street view window.

I don't know if they have a sail and park package.
We were charged $7 per person for a taxi to the cruise terminal.

There is a German restaurant across the street from the hotel that has delicious food plus espresso drinks.

pawpaw02_1
August 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Can someone tell me the PROS & CONS for each - Country Inn & Suites and Hampton Inn & Suites (St. Charles).

I have reservations for January 2013 at both of these hotels and I need to choose one. I was looking at the Drury, but they are under construction and I don't want to deal with that.

This would be pre-cruise for two (2) days to tour NOLA and I really want to see the FQ, Jackson Square and Riverfront area (Mall).

Also, has anyone ever eaten at The Joint? If so, reviews. We are looking for local places vs. tourist eateries, any suggestions?

Deb

Hello Deb,
Both are very nice and in good areas. The question you need to ask yourself is about parking & getting around when you get there to enjoy all NO has to offer. Right? The best way to get around is street cars, only $3 a day and will take you to within most places you would like to see and eat. Hampton Inn has free parking while on cruise and street car runs right in front. Country Inn charges $25 a day for parking and you may need to walk a few blocks to catch the street cars. Both you will need to find a way to the cruise termial, but a taxie ride of about $15-$20 should cover it.

I booked Hampton Inn!
You have until January to fine a place that you like.
Good luck and have fun!

cruisecritic2
August 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hello Deb,
Both are very nice and in good areas. The question you need to ask yourself is about parking & getting around when you get there to enjoy all NO has to offer. Right? The best way to get around is street cars, only $3 a day and will take you to within most places you would like to see and eat. Hampton Inn has free parking while on cruise and street car runs right in front. Country Inn charges $25 a day for parking and you may need to walk a few blocks to catch the street cars. Both you will need to find a way to the cruise termial, but a taxie ride of about $15-$20 should cover it.

I booked Hampton Inn!
You have until January to fine a place that you like.
Good luck and have fun!

Hi Pawpaw02, Can you tell me how the Ramada on N. Causeway Blvd in Metairie is? Is this a good hotel in a good location? I have found no information on this forum about it and no one has responded to my post about it so I am beginning to worry. Thanks

pawpaw02_1
August 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Pawpaw02, Can you tell me how the Ramada on N. Causeway Blvd in Metairie is? Is this a good hotel in a good location? I have found no information on this forum about it and no one has responded to my post about it so I am beginning to worry. Thanks

Metairie is a few miles away from downtown & cruise termial. Should be safe & fine on area. I first book at Sheraton in Metairie which I changed to be a little closer to all the action. My wife & I plan to see NO a couple of days and like the idea of using the street cars to get around. If your coming a day or two early it may be to your advantage to check out post about parking & hotel cruise packages.

Have fun & enjoy your cruise!!!

crichard312
September 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM
I lived in Metairie when I got married, and this is where my out of town guests stayed. It if off Veterans Blvd. which has anything on it you could want. Very friendly staff at this hotel. Enjoy your stay!

HappyValley3
September 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Still looking for a hotel for end of Apr. 2013.

How about the Quality Inn & Suites on I10 Service Road? Good, bad, ugly??

Bayou Boy
September 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM

Deb
Reviews of The Joint
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-joint-new-orleans

seventhwardhustler
September 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
you're a helluva long way from downtown and the piers. do you have a vehicle? it's not a bad (as in crime) area but it's not convenient to anything touristy. you're in the burbs.

seventhwardhustler
September 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM

i posted below but am not sure it took. just wanted to say that you're a helluva long way from downtown and the piers. it's not a bad (as in crime) location but you're in the burbs. you'll need a car to travel back and forth.

mom of 3 boys
September 15th, 2012, 01:42 AM

Stayed here several times with my family during Mardi Gas and New Years. Never felt unsafe and will stay here again with my children. Never had a problem...just be prepared to walk a little. You can always take the street car into the quater if you dont want to walk so much, there is a stop at the foot of Julia. They serve a good breakfast. Wouldn't waste money on Mulatte's, there is better seafood in the quarter.

seventhwardhustler
September 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Just stumbled upon this board. Looking for a hotel and found a rea.sonable price at the Astor Crowne. Anyone have a idea about this place as well as it's location. Would like to spend a couple days there and then cruise out on 9-23.
Been a long tme since I was in NOLA and can not remember much, so hoping for a recommendation.
the astor is NICE. basically right on the corner of canal and the quarter. quiet despite being that close to the quarter. i stayed pre-K and the staff was lovely. great location and accomodations but not competitive enough for me in price.

seventhwardhustler
September 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Yes it's fine. Just don't venture towards canal and bourbon as the sun sets with children.
i booked the embassy suites for my 5/26/13 cruise. my hubby loves the free drinks in the evening and we have a toddler now so i don't want to have to think about breakfast.

TerReuv
September 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
We are going to be cruising out of NO in October of 2013. Unfortunately, I cannot start checking rates yet because it is too far out for most hotels. We are driving into NO on Wednesday before our cruise so we will have a vehicle. We do not want to pay over about $100 a night for the room and do not want to pay for parking. We also want to have the free breakfast. We don't have to stay in the heart of NO but we will want to take the street car for touring and have no problem doing that. We will be driving ourselves to the port also. We have looked at a couple of places in Gretna just because of the pricing.

Any suggestions of what hotels we should check out? We don't mind walking (my Mom uses a wheelchair for long distances but can walk - she has MS) or using streetcars. We just do not want to spend the amount it will take to stay in the city and then pay extra per day for parking! Thanks for any ideas or suggestions that you may have.

cruzin lady
September 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hampton Inn Garden District on St. Charles. Ask for a cruise rate which is $129+taxes.
They have breakfast, free parking while on cruise, and the streetcar stops right in
front of the hotel. They also have tea & cheese at 5PM???

Cruzin Lady

mafig
September 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for some place for two nights before our cruise (on a Saturday in January) on Navigator OTS.

I did consider this last year and had loads of notes. Frustratedly (is that a word?) I just cannot find them.:(

Where is it that most people are staying who need a cruise and park package? My research was leading me to Drury Inn and then they stopped their cruise package.

kvosu1
September 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi going 2 days pre-cruise Aug 31, 2013. We are looking at these 2 hotels (Sheraton vs Drury Inn), prices are similar. I know the Sheraton has construction right now but will be finished by then. Any and all info on both would be appreciated so we can make our decision, thanks in advance Ken

DebbieMH
September 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sheraton on Canal Street is very nice. I don't know about the Drury Inn.

MDavis23
September 24th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Loving this post. We don't sail until April of 2014, but have not clue where to stay. Have been looking at Drury Inn and also Homewood Suites. We will have one child and would like to stay at a place with an indoor pool.

Thanks all!

Mary

volsfan2010
September 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
We are going on the Carnival Elation Saturday October 6th and we are looking at the Quality Inn & Suites in Gretna for the Park and Cruise package. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Corallea
October 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I was justing wondering if anyone knew anything about the Le Richelieu in the French Quarter on 1234 Chartres St?
Thanks

DebbieMH
October 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yes, it is a wonderful hotel. Very New Orleans. Highly recommend.

Corallea
October 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much for the quick reply, so looking forward to our couple days before cruising stay :)

momof5k
October 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Loving this post. We don't sail until April of 2014, but have not clue where to stay. Have been looking at Drury Inn and also Homewood Suites. We will have one child and would like to stay at a place with an indoor pool.

Thanks all!

Mary

We stayed at the Drury in January 2011 and really liked it. It is a few blocks from all the action of the French Quarter but definitely walkable (unless your kids are really little...then it may be a bit tough)

When we were in NOLA this August, we had planned to stay at the Drury again but they had discontinued their park and cruise package so we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Royal instead. ($149.99 for a night's stay and up to 8 days parking...)

FYI. The Drury has a rooftop pool, not an indoor. The Holiday Inn is inside.

MDavis23
October 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
We stayed at the Drury in January 2011 and really liked it. It is a few blocks from all the action of the French Quarter but definitely walkable (unless your kids are really little...then it may be a bit tough)

When we were in NOLA this August, we had planned to stay at the Drury again but they had discontinued their park and cruise package so we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Royal instead. ($149.99 for a night's stay and up to 8 days parking...)

FYI. The Drury has a rooftop pool, not an indoor. The Holiday Inn is inside.

Thanks for the response. As we are going in April, I think an indoor pool might be nicer. I could check myself, but if anyone knows, is the Drury pool heated and will it be swimming weather outside in April? Our daughter will be 12 when we sail, so she definately can walk the distance. At least I hope she can, we have many places we want to go to, the cemetary, the scary tour (ok, can't think of the name right now), take the street car, and I am sure much more. :D

J and J
October 9th, 2012, 01:06 PM
We booked the Hampton Inn - Convention Center. Any stay there?

azlerner
October 9th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have information about B/W PLUS FRENCH QUARTER LANDMARK HOTEL at 920 N. Rampart St

CaliforniaCruiser4life
October 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
We booked the Quality Inn and Suites on O'Keefe based on the outstanding reviews from Tripadvisor. Has anyone stayed there? Any other advice?

ltzol
October 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
How about a Marriott brand hotel that would be good for a family of four (2 kids ages 8 and 12) we will not have a car, so no worries about parking ;)
My husband travels a lot for works so we have points to use.

I am really excited to tour New Orleans. That was one of the reasons I booked this cruise (Navigator).

pgrookett
October 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hampton Inn Garden District on St. Charles. Ask for a cruise rate which is $129+taxes.
They have breakfast, free parking while on cruise, and the streetcar stops right in
front of the hotel. They also have tea & cheese at 5PM???

Cruzin Lady

This is my first cruise out of New Orleans. I am leaning toward booking the Hampton Inn Garden District for a March 8 Cruise on Royal Caribbean but want to use the streetcar to tour as we will arrive a day early. Another post said it was not working for some reason. Is it fixed?

On cruise day, does the hotel shuttle get you to the port faster than driving and parking in the Fulton garage? I heard there were traffic jams for those driving their cars into the port.

If we do the hotel shuttle, what about after the cruise? Will the hotel shuttle pick us up? There are 5 of us going to the port and 4 for the shuttle back to the hotel to pick up the car? (The 5th is flying home.) Will that happen in a timely manner? We have a 12 hour drive home after getting to our car.

And is the parking at the hotel pretty safe and secure?

A lot of questions! Hopefully someone out there has all the answers.

cruzin lady
October 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I am not sure there is any free shuttle to/from Hampton. It was someone at Hampton
who told me there was a streetcar stop right in front of the hotel. If I find out otherwise,
I'll post here.

Cruzin Lady

linbobky
October 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
This is my first cruise out of New Orleans. I am leaning toward booking the Hampton Inn Garden District for a March 8 Cruise on Royal Caribbean but want to use the streetcar to tour as we will arrive a day early. Another post said it was not working for some reason. Is it fixed?

On cruise day, does the hotel shuttle get you to the port faster than driving and parking in the Fulton garage? I heard there were traffic jams for those driving their cars into the port.

If we do the hotel shuttle, what about after the cruise? Will the hotel shuttle pick us up? There are 5 of us going to the port and 4 for the shuttle back to the hotel to pick up the car? (The 5th is flying home.) Will that happen in a timely manner? We have a 12 hour drive home after getting to our car.

And is the parking at the hotel pretty safe and secure?

A lot of questions! Hopefully someone out there has all the answers.
we cruised on the 6th of october and the street cars were closed down. they were changing out the tracks. do not know when it will start up again.
but, the bus comes by every 15 minutes, but, at times that is a night mare!!:eek:
also, cabs and cab vans charge $7 a person going to the port on cruise day!! good luck!:)

bolt
October 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the Sheraton 4 Points in the French Quarter. Most reviews have been favorable and the location is great!

Thanks

Ericas85
November 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
I am having a BIG issue... My cruise is booked from NOLA on May 5th and I will be getting married the day of departure... I have called about 8 hotels and NONE have any availability for the 4th-5th... :confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Hotels are:

1. Embassy Suiets
2. Hilton
3. Hampton
4. Double Tree
5. Homewood
6. Holiday Inn French Quarter
7. Holiday Inn Superdome (downtown)
8. French Quarter-Chateau Lemoyne

How is this possible???? LOL I need more recommendations!! I need a salon as well if anyone can help with that!!

crichard312
November 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
This is a time almost as busy as Mardi Gras. It is Jazz Fest time, and hotels book up very quickly.
Try the Holiday Inn in Gretna. It is just over the Mississippi River bridge and is about 10 minutes from the port and 15 minutes from the quarter. Make reservations soon, this is a very busy weekend. Good luck!

momof5k
November 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Have you tried The Drury??

Sun, Moon, & Stars
November 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Is it the Hampton Inn on Charles that is close to everything and the streetcars?

crichard312
November 12th, 2012, 02:39 AM
There are several,which one are you considering?

Boca del Verita
November 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
The streetcars still arn't running between Canal St and Louisiana, and probably won't be till well into Spring/Summer of 2013, HOWEVER the buses are very much in evidence on the streetcar route and are (truthfully) more convenient and quicker if not as picturesque!

Mango Tango
November 28th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Can anyone give me information about the Renaissance Hotel on Tchoupitoulas Street? I just won it on Priceline for $111 for a 4*

We're staying there for two days pre-cruise. I know it's close to the port, but I think we'll need a cab to get to the French Quarter. Never been to NOLA before, but really looking forward to it.

Mrs.Woody
November 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM
We are staying at the Wyndham Riverfront for January cruise. How far to Bourbon street and is it safe to walk? Also, is it walking distance to the port? Thanks in advance for any info! (Great thread by the way.)

bigsmooth
November 30th, 2012, 08:31 PM
We are staying at the Wyndham Riverfront for January cruise. How far to Bourbon street and is it safe to walk? Also, is it walking distance to the port? Thanks in advance for any info! (Great thread by the way.)
The walk is not short to Bourbon Street:eek: but I found it to be safe:). The Port is right across the street in front of Wyndham Riverfront:D.

lauriedun
January 2nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Renaissance Arts hotel? Is it walking distance to anything? Good area?

ewenix
January 2nd, 2013, 05:39 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Renaissance Arts hotel? Is it walking distance to anything? Good area?

We stayed at the Embassy Suites which is about 2 blocks from the Renaissance Arts. I thought the area was fine. We walked to Bourbon street, looked around a little, ate dinner at Deanie's Seafood then walked back to the Embassy Suites. (this included my mid-70's in-laws.) So I guess it depends on what you consider walking distance. We had no trouble with ~8 blocks each way. I never really felt unsafe, though a few of the 'street crowd' on Canal made my spidey sense tingle. (That was only because I had 6 family members with me including the kids and I'm security conscious.)

I believe a cab anywhere in the FQ area is $7/per person if you don't want to walk.

TerReuv
January 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Question on three hotels I am looking at. All 3 have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. Anyone know anything about the Quality Inn Maison St. Charles or the Avenue Plaza by Wyndham also on St. Charles or the Clarion Inn & Suites on Canal Street. From what I understand the trolley stops practically in front of the Quality Inn & the Avenue. Iknow it is down right now but we won't be going til October. Also, if C Richard is here - is there something going on in NOLA the weekend of the 18th & 19th of October? Rates seem to really jump then. Thanks for any info!

seventhwardhustler
January 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM

it's nowhere near downtown and the ports. you may want to map it (to see how far away you are from everything; basically, you're in suburbia) and rebook. you'll need a car if you decide to stay there.

jalakim
January 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
You do not want to stay there! the hotel is located in an area far from downtown and located in one of the least desirable locations imaginable. You are far removed from anything that someone could possibility want to be around. It is basically in the east where the area is still trying to come back from Katrina. I don't want to scare you, but I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in that area.
Now, if you don't care about being downtown or near the French Quarter, you should reconsider and look at motels in Metairie. It is much safer. IMHO

Scott can I pick you brain? We want to stay in the Quarter and I have reserve the Foru Poinst Sheraton on Bourbon st for 129. Is this a good rate or can you recommend somewhere else? Thanks for your help.

Mango Tango
January 25th, 2013, 10:05 PM
We stayed at the Renaissance for two days pre-cruise January 10-12. The area is just fine. We walked to the French Quarter...very easy, not very far. We never ate at the hotel. Instead, we ate dinner at Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar and Restaurant across the street from the hotel (make sure to have the Key Lime dessert!) and we had breakfasts at Ruby Slipper (between the hotel and the French Quarter) and also at Oceana in the French Quarter.

spikester
January 31st, 2013, 01:35 PM
Has anyone stayed or have any info about the Wyndham Garden on Bayonne St? Is it a safe walk to/from the FQ? I am trying to decide between there and the Sheraton on Canal. (Since the Sheraton is undergoing renovations, I am unsure about staying there)

katybugg
February 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM
How far is St. Joseph St from the terminal? The Residence Inn is where I am looking. Any thoughts on this hotel? It looks to be fairly close to the Hilton , which I have stayed at before. I am assuming the area is okay. Please give any feedback. Especially if you're a local or have stayed here. Thanks.