PDA

View Full Version : Welcome aboard fellow Bead Brigade members!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

DragonOfTheSeas
July 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry--I must have copied the link incorrectly the first time. Try this and see if it works.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=171&a=295

TH451
July 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Delta--I am over this summer.:rolleyes: Bring on the fall weather!

Good news.... I have done some research on when we can expect that extended stretch of cooler weather we have been hoping for and have determined that it will arrive in October.;)

Cruznation
July 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
FYI--I discovered this on the HAL site. (I have been reading HAL since we will be riding the HAL train from Denali to Anchorage on our Alaska trip.) Today there was a reference to a malware incident on CC. Here is the link someone posted: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/annou...hp?f=171&a=295

Has anyone else heard of this? I looked at the signatures of the "beadies" in this message board. They do not seem to have deleted anyone's cruise clock.

Looks like this got cleared up, thank heavens.

The mail server of the agency where I used to work got infected once by someone with high permissions opening the wrong e-mail and we ended up being blocked by our users' and contacts' security programs. Took a lot of work and phone calls to get that squared away... :mad:

DELTABLUE
July 18th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Saw Georgia again this afternoon. She was very tired and worn out. The good meds had wore off very suddenly around midnight and she had trouble getting relief after that. Hospitals are no place to sleep and get any rest.:rolleyes: She was up and walking some today! Now the road to recovery begins. If all goes well, she is scheduled to head home tomorrow afternoon.;) Here's hoping that the rest of her journey goes smoothly.:D

dixieva
July 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Delta-thanks for the new update. It's very nice of you to go visit her in the hospital! Hope she gets home today where she can rest.

DELTABLUE
July 19th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I know the place too well and it is close enough to home that I can get there easily. I was happy to check in on Georgia and see if she needed anything. Hope all goes well today and that they kick her out so she can go home.;)

DELTABLUE
July 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yesterday the power went out and then the generator did not kick in.:mad: Got the generator running and the power came back on later. Since it came back on, the AC has not been working right.:eek: The house had warmed up with the power off but it never cooled off properly once it was on. The system is running but temp sat at 77 all night. Now it has inched up to 78. I was promised a service call today, thankfully, but don't know when. Hope it is something simple. There was no problem at the maintenance check last month.

I need a cruise!:rolleyes:

Stella777
July 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks Delta for your updates on Georgia. Yes, hospitals are no place to rest. If they're not waking you up to draw blood then they are waking you up to see if you are sleeping OK, while shining a light in your face, this did happen to me. Go figure:confused:.
Delta, hope that your AC gets to working right and you don't get to experience what I went through when it was 90+ inside my place as well as outside:eek:.

Everyone stay cool and drinks lots of fluids.

DELTABLUE
July 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Thanx Stella. Still waiting to see the service tech. It's now up to 81 in the house. Hope it gets better before it gets any worse.:eek::p

DragonOfTheSeas
July 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Good news.... I have done some research on when we can expect that extended stretch of cooler weather we have been hoping for and have determined that it will arrive in October.;)

You had me going when I first started to read this.:) Then I got to the date. LOL:rolleyes: I imagine it will cool off in October.

dixieva
July 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Delta-hope you're getting your AC fixed right now! It's really humid here and in the mid-90's.

And I hope by now Georgia is home resting!

Grandma Gail
July 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Ed - glad everything worked out for you but what a scare when you think it is your heart.

Delta - thanks for the update on Georgia and it is great you are close enough to visit. Hope your A/C get fixed fast.

Dixie - HHH. Hazy, Hot, and Humid. Enough! I am so tired of this weather.

Tommy - let's hope we get cooler weather before OCTOBER.

My car stopped working right in a busy intersection yesterday. I did not have my cell phone and a really nice lady gave me a ride home. When Ken and I went to look at the car - it was gone. Towed and cost $198 to get it released. Been at the dealership since yesterday with no diagnosis yet.

I NEED A CRUISE!

dixieva
July 20th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Gail-hope your car gets fixed soon!

My cell phone stays in my purse so I never go anywhere without it. I'm one of the few folks who still have a land line phone so really don't use it much when I'm home.

Still hot and humid here but not quite as bad. Storms forcast for today-hope everyone's power stays on!

Delta hope your AC is fixed in your house.

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Gail-hope your car gets fixed soon!

My cell phone stays in my purse so I never go anywhere without it. I'm one of the few folks who still have a land line phone so really don't use it much when I'm home.

Still hot and humid here but not quite as bad. Storms forcast for today-hope everyone's power stays on!

Delta hope your AC is fixed in your house.

Dixie, I still have a land line and probably will have one till they become obsolete:eek:. I have to have it because of my relatives who don't use cell phones and are senior citizens and I don't expect them to. When I'm home, I am prone to use the land line to take care of business.

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Delta, I am hoping that your AC is finally working and that you are enjoying some cool air now. It took almost a day for my place to cool down once my AC was restored.

DragonOfTheSeas
July 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Dixie and Stella--we still have a land line, too. :) Whenever we are home we use it rather than the cell. The quality of voice is always better over the land line and when it is on speaker phone it is much louder than the cell. Our children/grandkids do not live close by. When they/we call it is easier to have a conversation on the speaker phone. It is more like being there.

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Dixie and Stella--we still have a land line, too. :) Whenever we are home we use it rather than the cell. The quality of voice is always better over the land line and when it is on speaker phone it is much louder than the cell. Our children/grandkids do not live close by. When they/we call it is easier to have a conversation on the speaker phone. It is more like being there.

Thank you for this confirmation as I fear that the future is heading toward the elimination of land lines and the people I talk to will not know what to do in that event:confused:. So much for progress. How do you educate a senior citizen who knows nothing more than picking up the phone to make a call:confused:.

DragonOfTheSeas
July 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for this confirmation as I fear that the future is heading toward the elimination of land lines and the people I talk to will not know what to do in that event:confused:. So much for progress. How do you educate a senior citizen who knows nothing more than picking up the phone to make a call:confused:.

You know Stella--I think communication is evolving very quickly. Our parents may not accept giving up their land lines--but, we will when the technology matches our needs. The quality still needs to improve to surpass a land line. But, I am sure within the next 5 yrs or so it will.

DELTABLUE
July 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM
The AC is finally up and running again!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!! It took a long time but the temp is finally back in my comfort zone. I got more hot and bothered when the service company wanted me to pay $189 for a part I knew cost about $20!!!:mad: Sometimes a little knowledge is a bad thing. Had they not told me which part was bad and had I not known the price of that part, I just would have forked over whatever they asked for and paid the piper. However, my son had replaced the part in the past and I knew the price. I paid the service company for the house call and diagnosis and got my son to replace the part. His generous tip will still let me come out well ahead of the game. They really try to stick it to you when they know you are over a barrel.:mad::mad:

I'm not a cell phone person. I have one for emergencies but don't feel the need or desire to be 'available' to the world 24/7. I turn it on when/if I need to use it. Mine is so old that it has a dial on it.:p:rolleyes: I'm happy to have a land line with lots of extensions around the house.;)

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
And about to cry, there was an advertisement about meeting and joining the president for his 51st birthday, when I scrolled below,they wanted me to make a contribution to his campaign:eek:. I should have known better to think that it was just to be a part of his birthday party and all. I am so gullible at times:(. I just wanted to get into the white house without any political attachments. I should have known better.

DELTABLUE
July 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately both sides will use whatever gimmick they can to squeeze donations out of us so they can yell at one another in terrible, nasty campaign adds. There has to be a better way. Limit the campaign season to 8 weeks and give both sides the same amount of $$$ to use. Just how long do you really need to make a choice?:confused: Think of how much $$$ could be much better spent and how much more could get done if our officials were not busy raising funds and running for office so much of the time! OK. ;) Off my soap box. :D:rolleyes:

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm not a cell phone person. I have one for emergencies but don't feel the need or desire to be 'available' to the world 24/7. I turn it on when/if I need to use it. Mine is so old that it has a dial on it.:p:rolleyes: I'm happy to have a land line with lots of extensions around the house.

I only use my cell for emergencies also. Three days after I purchased a cellphone about seven years ago, I fell and had an accident on a slippery wet slop in pouring rain and could not stand up and help myself. I laid in the rain and made the call to a friend who came and got me and took me to the hospital and It was determined that I had three fractures in my leg and had to be put in a cast. Needless to say had I not had the cellphone, I do not know how long I would have laid there before I got the help that I needed, that is why a cellphone comes in handy.Plus my nieces and nephews will only contact me that way plus they love to talk to me online also. Texting is just not for me and I refuse to learn it as so many of my friends want to converse that way. I am old school and proud of it. Regardless, I still love my land line and have my cellphone for emergencies only.

dixieva
July 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
No texting here either! Don't know how and have no desire to learn. Just don't think it's necessary for me. A few of my friends only have a cell phone and since they have Verizon like I do they can call me and I can call them at no charge so I do use mine. I use the land line much more often.

Kelly has a "Smart Phone" and I have a "Dumb Phone":D:D! Mine doesn't even take pictures:eek::eek:! Oh my how will I ever survive???

2crusin
July 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
we'll keep a landline, as long as my dad is with us - he will be celebrating his 93 Bday in Oct...
We both have cell phones - need them for staying in touch with our children & granchildren....

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM
we'll keep a landline, as long as my dad is with us - he will be celebrating his 93 Bday in Oct...
We both have cell phones - need them for staying in touch with our children & granchildren....

Exactly my sentiments:D.

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Georgia, I am hoping that you will soon be online and free of pain, if I knew how to put an image on here to say get well soon than I would. So I will just do this:Get Well Soon! I do know how much pain you are in coming out of the hospital and it can be excruciating at times(been there done that), but I know in time that you will be right as rain:D. We have all been there at some point in our lives and know just exactly what you are going through. I just wanted to send my sentiments to you so that you know that I am there for you in thought and prayer and have been there in pain as you have, suffering fractures and broken bones in the past. Just know that you will eventually get past this and be pain free. Thank you Diane for being there for Georgia and I know that she appreciates someone being in her corner. I am believing that Georgia appreciates all that you do for her. I look forward to the time that we will be all be together in health and in our present state at some get together or Cruise.

Stella777
July 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM

This is just what I am talking about! I don't expect that anyone would think that your dad would be using a cellphone at his age, huh? So land lines are still useful for the time being. Congratulations on your Dad's 93rd birthday, so many of us do not live that long or get to that point:D.

Cruznation
July 20th, 2012, 11:33 PM
This is just what I am talking about! I don't expect that anyone would think that your dad would be using a cellphone at his age, huh? So land lines are still useful for the time being. Congratulations on your Dad's 93rd birthday, so many of us do not live that long or get to that point:D.

Interesting discussion.

We too have retained a land line even though many of the younger folks we know have long dropped theirs. I guess it's just the paradigm we're used to of having a home phone that someone can call to speak to ANYONE in the house and not just one particular person. Also our house is a dead zone for our cell carrier; we have to go outside to get any kind of reception. :D

I think relying on a cell as my only phone would be as problematical as me wearing contacts; too much fuss. Glasses are just easier. And I would forget to plug the silly thing in each night... :o

2crusin
July 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
Interesting discussion.

We too have retained a land line even though many of the younger folks we know have long dropped theirs. I guess it's just the paradigm we're used to of having a home phone that someone can call to speak to ANYONE in the house and not just one particular person. Also our house is a dead zone for our cell carrier; we have to go outside to get any kind of reception. :D

I think relying on a cell as my only phone would be as problematical as me wearing contacts; too much fuss. Glasses are just easier. And I would forget to plug the silly thing in each night... :o

our house also has some areas that cell phones just don't work or looses the signal in a middle of a call ....
many times have forgotten to recharge my cell or forget to take it with me...
started messaging when granddaghter left for college.....
most of the time she texed back me and ask what are you trying to tell me ...
my fingers hit the wrong keys so most of what I sent looked like another language :)
much better now..
guess practice does make almost perfect :rolleyes: :eek:

Cruznation
July 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
our house also has some areas that cell phones just don't work or looses the signal in a middle of a call ....
many times have forgotten to recharge my cell or forget to take it with me...
started messaging when granddaghter left for college.....
most of the time she texed back me and ask what are you trying to tell me ...
my fingers hit the wrong keys so most of what I sent looked like another language :)
much better now..
guess practice does make almost perfect :rolleyes: :eek:

My problem with texting is that I have to use my thumbnail on the keys. My fingers are so big and stubby and the keys are so tiny. :eek: I loved the instant messengers on the computer when that was "the thing", but the tiny keys and tiny screen, meh. I'm just too verbal for tweets. :)

dinahlevine
July 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
We didn't get cellphones until my tire blew on a highway a few years ago, and I hung a white cloth on the radio antenna and stood outside the car waving madly and watching police car after police car ride by. A kind lady let me use her cellphone to call my husband (was only a couple of miles from home) and he called AAA. I only use it for emergencies, and when we're in large stores like Home Depot or Wegmans, to find my husband. Our grandkids visited a couple of weeks ago, and I never felt more antiquated. They even quizzed me on texting abbreviations, and I didn't know them. But I cling to the old ways. They usually work. Georgia, hope you're up and about and healing well. I did try frog legs once (blah) and escargot (ugh) but really enjoyed haggis in Scotland so long as I didn't dwell on its composition.

dixieva
July 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Have to ask- what is Haggis?

DragonOfTheSeas
July 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
I was reading the other roll call I belong to (Oct Bermuda Cruise) and one of the posters had something I wish I could have reposted here. His name is "red Devil" and he posts pictures almost everyday. (it seems like it) I do not know how to post pictures --so I will repeat the caption.

"All of you young whipper-snappers have never know the joy of. . . slamming down the receiver of an old rotary phone." :):eek::p

dixieva
July 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Me, Me-- I have had that pleasure and have to say it is very stress-relieving:D!

Cruznation
July 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Have to ask- what is Haggis?

Steel-cut Scottish oatmeal cooked in a sheep's stomach. I'm not kidding.
It's an acquired taste.

There is also CANNED haggis. It's worse than haggis made fresh.
I'd be willing to try it. I just need beer in case something goes horribly wrong.

Millie38
July 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
I gagged just reading that description.:eek:

dixieva
July 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
EWWWWWWWEEEEWWW!

That sounds horrible:eek:!

I'll have to pass thank you anyway.

Stella777
July 22nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Steel-cut Scottish oatmeal cooked in a sheep's stomach. I'm not kidding.
It's an acquired taste.

There is also CANNED haggis. It's worse than haggis made fresh.
I'd be willing to try it. I just need beer in case something goes horribly wrong.

Oh! aw! ugh! phew:eek:, maybe I would try it once I tasted it. I go by taste since once I tasted goat meat and thought that I would never do that and it is out of this world when cooked right like prime venison which is the bomb;).

DragonOfTheSeas
July 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
I think I will keep cooking my oatmeal in a pot on the stove. :D

Stella777
July 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
I can't help but be thinking about Georgia since my only contact is here. I am hoping that all is well and that she is free from pain if she is released and at home. Recuperation is one thing, but rehabilitation is another. I guess I I feel for her because I know what it is to be in pain when I fractured my leg in three places and was in tremendous pain, place in a cast, for a time and I didn't have any meds to help me cope with the pain. When she is ready, I know that she will be talking to us all soon enough.

Cruznation
July 22nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Last I heard from Georgia she said the knee pain was mostly gone. She hasn't got an appetite right now, but maybe after some rest she'll be back to normal. Hopefully she'll be online tomorrow.

The Scots, the Irish, and the English are not really known for their cuisine. I don't know about the Welsh. According to Wikipedia:

Haggis is a kind of savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs see offal); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a sausage casing rather than an actual stomach.

As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour".

The haggis is a traditional Scottish dish, considered the national dish of Scotland as a result of Robert Burns' poem Address to a Haggis of 1787. Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (Scots: turnip and potato), boiled and mashed separately and a dram (a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper. However it is also often eaten with other accompaniments.

dixieva
July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
I would need much more than a dram of whiskey to eat that stuff:eek::eek:!

dinahlevine
July 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
When my older daughter and I went to Scotland, our tour guide (who had a dry sense of humor) said that one of the bus tour goals was to find and capture the wild haggis. Maybe it was because we were at a restaurant in St. Andrews and the ambience was so, well, Scottish, that we enjoyed eating it - it's sort of like a stuffing when you're not quite sure what's in it - though I haven't sought it out, canned or otherwise, in the last twenty-odd years. It's just "When in Rome...." . It most reminded me of Eastern European kishka, or stuffed derma, another delicacy where you don't question too closely the constituent parts - actually pretty tasty once the flavorings are added.

Cruznation
July 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
When my older daughter and I went to Scotland, our tour guide (who had a dry sense of humor) said that one of the bus tour goals was to find and capture the wild haggis. Maybe it was because we were at a restaurant in St. Andrews and the ambience was so, well, Scottish, that we enjoyed eating it - it's sort of like a stuffing when you're not quite sure what's in it - though I haven't sought it out, canned or otherwise, in the last twenty-odd years. It's just "When in Rome...." . It most reminded me of Eastern European kishka, or stuffed derma, another delicacy where you don't question too closely the constituent parts - actually pretty tasty once the flavorings are added.

"Those that respect the law and love sausage should watch neither being made." -- Mark Twain

Grandma Gail
July 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
I gagged just reading that description.:eek:
Mllie , I agree with you. Just thinking about it makes me want to toss my cookies! You have to wonder about the first person who tried eating something.

TH451
July 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (Scots: turnip and potato), boiled and mashed separately and a dram (a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper. However it is also often eaten with other accompaniments.

I imagine the pronunciation of the side dishes could differ a bit after a few drams.:p Also, I wonder if 'pickles & beets' are ever added to haggis?:rolleyes:;)

Cruznation
July 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I imagine the pronunciation of the side dishes could differ a bit after a few drams.:p Also, I wonder if 'pickles & beets' are ever added to haggis?:rolleyes:;)

Kathy and I had dinner at Chez Andree (http://www.chezandree.com/), a little French restaurant in Alexandria last night. They have a fixed price Monday & Tuesday thing where you get 2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $29.95. I had the roasted chicken and Kathy had the beef Stroganoff (no pickles or beet nonsense!) and since I was good, choosing a lower fat meal (I didn't even eat the chicken skin), we split a piece of chocolate mousse cake for dessert. Sometimes it's really nice to have an evening out together.

Tommy, how is Sandra getting along? Is her breathing ok? We've all been having our medical problems of late, but please tell her she is not forgotten! :)

TH451
July 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Tommy, how is Sandra getting along? Is her breathing ok? We've all been having our medical problems of late, but please tell her she is not forgotten! :)

Sandra's breathing is fine now that the huge thyroid is gone. She is making monthly pilgrimages to the doctor for med adjustments. He said it may take a year before all the levels are right but that is normal and to be expected. The worse thing is his office is 30+ miles away in the West End of Richmond and her appointments are early and we are caught in rush hour traffic.:eek:

Speaking of an evening out, we will be meeting Carolyn, Kelly & company for dinner Thursday. This should be fun and cruising will probably be a topic of conversation.:)

DELTABLUE
July 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Tommy...glad to hear the good news about Sandra's continued recovery.;) Be glad that you don't have to make that trip daily in both rush hours! :eek: Nice that you will be having a southern M&M soon.

I think it is time for us to plan another one up here. Anyone else on board with that idea?:confused: It's nice to have one on the schedule to look forward to.:D

Dank, dreary day here with storms on the way, again.:rolleyes: Think I'll stay put.

Cruznation
July 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Tommy...glad to hear the good news about Sandra's continued recovery.;) Be glad that you don't have to make that trip daily in both rush hours! :eek: Nice that you will be having a southern M&M soon.

I think it is time for us to plan another one up here. Anyone else on board with that idea?:confused: It's nice to have one on the schedule to look forward to.:D

Dank, dreary day here with storms on the way, again.:rolleyes: Think I'll stay put.

We're up for one!

dixieva
July 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Ed-I went to the non rx dot com site to order more Meclizine and guess what? They are gone:eek:. A notice said as of July 9th they no longer have a web site. Bummer.

Anyone else have any ideas of where I can order the bottles of 100 chewable tablets with free shipping?

They cost $5- or used to!

Cruznation
July 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hey Ed-I went to the non rx dot com site to order more Meclizine and guess what? They are gone:eek:. A notice said as of July 9th they no longer have a web site. Bummer.

Anyone else have any ideas of where I can order the bottles of 100 chewable tablets with free shipping?

They cost $5- or used to!

Dixie,
Try here: Drugstore (http://www.drugstore.com/rugby-travel-sickness-tablets/qxp219769?catid=184256)

They are $5.99 and qualify for free 2 day shipping. I don't how much else you have to buy.

I belong to Kaiser Permanente and they sell these at their pharmacies for $4.99. If we all get together for an M&M in the not too distant future I can pick you up a bottle.

They have a new warning label that they contain Aspartame as a sweetener, which I have a reaction to, but probably not enough to worry about. They've never affected me before and I've taken one everyday of our last cruise.

dixieva
July 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ed! And thanks for the offer to pick some up for me but I'll just order those at that site.

I swear by these and would not ever get on a ship without a generous supply.

Grandma Gail
July 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Count us in for a Bead Brigade get together.

dixieva
July 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Just made our final payment on the Carnival cruise in Oct.:D! Yippee-it's getting closer and closer!

DragonOfTheSeas
July 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM
We paid the final payment for our Bermuda cruise from NJ today. I wish some beadies were going with us. :p

2crusin
July 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
44 days till we sail on Carnival Pride
we reseved a cabana on Half Moon Cay
& this morning we reserved a poolside cabana at Margaritaville on Grand Turk.. we were just going to walk over to Margaritaville & have a drink at the swim up bar then go back to the ship and enjoy the adult pool area....
now we will stay all day & order lunch and drinks right from the cabana :D http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/PreSales/Excursions/Ports_G-L/GDT/440035/Gallery/440035004jpg.ashx
Grand Turk cabana

Cruznation
July 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
44 days till we sail on Carnival Pride
we reseved a cabana on Half Moon Cay
& this morning we reserved a poolside cabana at Margaritaville on Grand Turk.. we were just going to walk over to Margaritaville & have a drink at the swim up bar then go back to the ship and enjoy the adult pool area....
now we will stay all day & order lunch and drinks right from the cabana :D http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/PreSales/Excursions/Ports_G-L/GDT/440035/Gallery/440035004jpg.ashx
Grand Turk cabana

Wow! We've never been to Grand Turk and have never reserved a cabana. How much does that run, if you don't mind the question?

Cruznation
July 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
We've entered in an enterprise with our older son. We are finishing our basement into an apartment and a storage area. This brings him home for a while until he can amass a down-payment on a house of his own. He currently lives close in to DC and the rent is pricey.

We've had several contractors, most recommended by friends, come in and take a look. We're now getting plans and bids. Luckily we're doing a studio space that we can use later as an entertaining space. What a crash course into the arcane world of zoning and permits! :eek:

Anyway we just got back from a presentation from the "high-end" guy at his showroom in Woodbridge. Impressive stuff. While on the high side for what we want right now, I'd like to use this guy to re-do our upstairs bathrooms. The guy does downright palatial loos. :rolleyes:

It's been quiet here. What have you all been up to?

dixieva
July 27th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Well, we had a great little M & M dinner last evening with Carmen, Millie, Kelly, Tommy, Sandra and me! It was great fun to have a meal together, re-hash moments from the cruise last March and talk about the upcoming cuise in April. We really should do this more often!

Ed-for our Carnival cruise we rented a cabana in Half Moon Cay also. I think it was around $200 for the day and they don't care how many folks use it. They provide snorkle equipment and float mats for 4. Also provided are 8 sodas of your choice and a couple of large bottles of water. And they also provide fruit (whole and cut up) and veggies, dip and corn chips and salsa for snacking! The cabana has a misting fan, a shower outside the cabana for rinsing off the salt and sand and it has an air conditioner! Yes it is open like the ones at Labadee. Very nice. And all of the cabanas are ocean front in a row down the beach. There are only 15 of them.

Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay were the reasons we chose to drive up to Baltimore for this 7 day cruise. We could have cruised Carnival from Norfolk (much closer for us) but 6 days and same old Bahamas ports.

Don't know how much the cabanas in Grand Turk go for-we decided to walk down to Jack's Shack to spend our day after doing a tour of the island. It's a great place to hang out and have lunch. You can check it out on their Facebook page.

2crusin
July 27th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Ed,
Cabana on Grand Turk /Margaritaville $129.99
from the couple of reviews I read .. you can hear the music from the bar -nice view of the pool... & an easy walk to the shops near by..
the door to the inside of the cabana can be locked which is great that we will be able to leave our stuff inside while in the pool or on the beach... also has an outdoor shower
it has an air conditioner so we will be able to get out of the heat once in awhile ... must be a call button in the cabana & we can order lunch & drinks.. (lunch /drinks not included )
our first carnival cruise was suppose to go to Grand Turk ...storm sent us on another course so we are trying once again... looks like a beautiful island...:)
Half Moon Cay Cabana was $219.99

2crusin
July 27th, 2012, 08:15 PM
as far as what we have been up too...
yard work & started taking down drop ceiling & taking down paneling..what a job ..
worked Thursday... back to work on Sunday .........
heading to the Ocean Aug 5 for a few days with DD & DGD

Cruznation
July 28th, 2012, 12:16 AM
as far as what we have been up too...
yard work & started taking down drop ceiling & taking down paneling..what a job ..
worked Thursday... back to work on Sunday .........
heading to the Ocean Aug 5 for a few days with DD & DGD

Sounds like you've been busy.

2crusin & Dixie:
Thanks for info on the cabanas!
we were going to pay for all the family to go to the space center on our November cruise, but as they may prefer Disney World, maybe we'll get a cabana for everyone instead... :)

Saw the opening ceremonies to the Olympics in London. Nice job! Made me want to visit London again... :D

DELTABLUE
July 28th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Busy weekend here. DGD is visiting so it is going to be a looong weekend!:eek::rolleyes: She said that being with me was just like being with her mom and dad...only more fun!:D Gotta love her!;)

We were watching the opening ceremony too. She kept asking WHEN the cauldron was going to be lit. I kept telling her 'soon.' It seemed to take forever. As it was time shifted, they could have used some judicious editing.

Glad that the southern M&M went well. Always nice to break bread and cruise chat. Any proposals for a next meet date/place up here?

cruzette
July 28th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I have a lot of reading/catching up to do...I've missed you all!

Thank you all for your cards, emails, calls, cares and concerns. You all are absolutely THE BEST!!

Surgery went well and my knee has it's very own bling, at least for a few more days. The first couple day were busy...they had me in therapy 2 hr/day, twice a day! We came home Thursday and started therapy on Friday. Needless to say, you're worked hard but boy does it feel good!!! No more limping, no more hip pain, and best yet...NO KNEE PAIN!!! Sandra, you were right...why did I wait so long!!!

I am now walking without a walker (only in the house) and able to do just anything, except drive...but my new knee reminds me to park it from time to time. A couple of friends stopped over yesterday and they were astounded to find that WE had prepared dinner for them (sorry, feeding people is what we do best!). It felt so good to do something normal...but I paid a price for it. Diane WILL NOT let me up off the recliner today because of the additional swelling I caused myself. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The staples will come out Wednesday which will make movement a tad easier. PLUS, I can finally get back into the shower :D.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone soon!! Love you all!! :D:p:D

cruzette
July 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Just got back from visiting Georgia. All things considered, she looks amazing!:D Her leg was covered in many layers of ice, velcro and air pumps and she was hooked up to a bottle of happy juice that she could self administer. So far so good. Her first attempt to stand did not go very well so they are putting attempt #2 off until tomorrow. Glad that the surgery went well and is now behind her. Hope that the recovery goes as easily.;)
Delta, you are awesome!

Yes, Dixie, they did indeed attempt to have me walk within hours of surgery, and actually, I felt ready. The therapist said, "Georgia, how are you feeling?" I said, "great, lets for for it." The next thing I heard was Diane yelling, "is she breathing?" BP had dropped to 79 and I went down for the count! So they left me alone until 0800 the next morning. Now you know...the rest of the story.:D

cruzette
July 28th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Georgia, I am hoping that you will soon be online and free of pain, if I knew how to put an image on here to say get well soon than I would. So I will just do this:Get Well Soon! I do know how much pain you are in coming out of the hospital and it can be excruciating at times(been there done that), but I know in time that you will be right as rain:D. We have all been there at some point in our lives and know just exactly what you are going through. I just wanted to send my sentiments to you so that you know that I am there for you in thought and prayer and have been there in pain as you have, suffering fractures and broken bones in the past. Just know that you will eventually get past this and be pain free. Thank you Diane for being there for Georgia and I know that she appreciates someone being in her corner. I am believing that Georgia appreciates all that you do for her. I look forward to the time that we will be all be together in health and in our present state at some get together or Cruise.
Thanks Stella...I think I felt everyone's sentiments...and I thank you all for them.

Ed - THANK GOD you are ok!! Kathy needs to put you in bubble wrap!!

Landlines - I will never give mine up. When everyone else looses power, and cell phones run out of charge, I still have a working phone.

Texting - had it blocked from the beginning..didn't want to give Verizon any more money than they were already getting. Now that they have introduced their "share everything" plan and EVERYTHING is unlimited (and cheaper than our previous plan), we now have texting...even if we don't use it much.

cruzette
July 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Oh! aw! ugh! phew:eek:, maybe I would try it once I tasted it. I go by taste since once I tasted goat meat and thought that I would never do that and it is out of this world when cooked right like prime venison which is the bomb;).
I love venison (as long as it is cooked right!)

dixieva
July 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome home to the boards Georgia!!

We have missed you too! So glad to hear that you are doing well-now stop over-doing it! Listen to Diane and take it slow and easy.

Staples- am I the only one who thinks these things are horrible???:eek::eek: Whatever happened to plain old stitches? Thank God when I had my hip replacement my surgeon used stitches AND the ones that disolve all by themselves! I love him for that! Hope I never have to do anything that requires staples.

Done with the Saturday housework and now can do whatever I want! As long as it's done inside in the AC:D!

Cruznation
July 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I love venison (as long as it is cooked right!)

Venison is good. It made sitting out in the cold woods in the dark for hours sorta worth it...

Georgia, you have been missed!

We're certainly up for another get together: Dale City, Waldorf, La Plata, Alexandria, if the folks form the south want to join us. Otherwise Timbuktu is as good a place as any. Any other suggestions?

cruzette
July 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Venison is good. It made sitting out in the cold woods in the dark for hours sorta worth it...

We're certainly up for another get together: Dale City, Waldorf, La Plata, Alexandria, if the folks form the south want to join us. Otherwise Timbuktu is as good a place as any. Any other suggestions?
for our Southern friends...can everyone tell me where each of you are located in regards to Staunton (distance/timing)?

DragonOfTheSeas
July 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
for our Southern friends...can everyone tell me where each of you are located in regards to Staunton (distance/timing)?

We live about an hour east of Staunton near I-64.

dixieva
July 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
It's a little over two hours for us to Staunton. But don't pick a location based on our drive because I doubt if we could make anything in the next few weeks. We have a few trips coming up and Kelly only has one weekend a month off so it makes it difficult for us.

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#8b0000]

DragonOfTheSeas
July 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM
We are southern folk--but, we do not mind Timbuktu because our DD lives in Bowie, MD and we can visit her family at the same time.

2crusin
July 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Georgia welcome back & tell Dianne we said hello.. happy to hear how well you are doing...:)

YouSnoozeYouLose
July 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Glad you're back and feeling better! Hope you continue your amazing progress!!! :)

For all of you who are able to get together for your "reunion" dinners, I doubt that we will ever be able to make any. We live too far away. Hope you have a wonderful time, and make a toast to your absent comrads! We'll be thinking of you!!! ;)

Janice

Stella777
July 28th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Hey Girl:)
Welcome back to the boards Diane. You have been missed:(. Praying for your complete recovery and that your knee won't swell up on you, as long as you don't overdo it. I know that you are anxious to get back into the swing of things since you are feeling so well, but a word of warning: DON'T OVERDO IT. You can feel like you can climb a mountain because you feel so good after an operation, but you have to pull in the reins because your mind is saying one thing and your body another. So take it from someone who has been there and do what it takes to get you on the road to complete recovery. listen to Georgia and take her advise even though you are gunning to get going on your own and want to be on top of things. Remember we aren't as young as we use to be. I want you well so we can dance our feet off in 2014, OK, I'm done and getting off my rant box:).

Stella777
July 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you've been busy.

2crusin & Dixie:
Thanks for info on the cabanas!
we were going to pay for all the family to go to the space center on our November cruise, but as they may prefer Disney World, maybe we'll get a cabana for everyone instead... :)

Saw the opening ceremonies to the Olympics in London. Nice job! Made me want to visit London again... :D

I have been watching the Olympics all day long this Saturday and been loving it. I am a complete sports enthusiast and love watching most sports. Currently as I am typing here, I am watching the Olympics at the same time:).

DragonOfTheSeas
July 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have been watching the Olympics all day long this Saturday and been loving it. I am a complete sports enthusiast and love watching most sports. Currently as I am typing here, I am watching the Olympics at the same time:).

Me too!:rolleyes:

I am a sports fan in general. (It would be hard for me not to be with all of the high school sports teams Alan coached.) But, I am an Olympics addict. The NBC commentary is getting old already.:eek:

Stella777
July 28th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Me too!:rolleyes:

I am a sports fan in general. (It would be hard for me not to be with all of the high school sports teams Alan coached.) But, I am an Olympics addict. The NBC commentary is getting old already.:eek:

Most of the time I mute the commentary and just watch the athletes perform. It's just nice to know that they are doing the best they can to win a medal without all the commentary added to why they won. I do also like the stories added to how and why they got to the Olympics in the first place.

Stella777
July 28th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Glad you're back and feeling better! Hope you continue your amazing progress!!! :)

For all of you who are able to get together for your "reunion" dinners, I doubt that we will ever be able to make any. We live too far away. Hope you have a wonderful time, and make a toast to your absent comrads! We'll be thinking of you!!! ;)

Janice

I always think of when we first met on the March 19th Cruise and you were so helpful to me and answered any questions I had since it was a long time between cruises for me and everything had changed and I was somewhat bewildered by it all:eek:. I am so ever grateful to you for this. I hope that somewhere in the near future that we will share a meal together or be on a cruise together at the same time.

Grandma Gail
July 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Ed, our Boomerang DD and DGS have left for greener pastures (really an apartment). I miss them but love getting the house back. I now have my cruise preparation room back!

cruzette
July 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hey Girl:)
Welcome back to the boards Diane. You have been missed:(. Praying for your complete recovery and that your knee won't swell up on you, as long as you don't overdo it. I know that you are anxious to get back into the swing of things since you are feeling so well, but a word of warning: DON'T OVERDO IT. You can feel like you can climb a mountain because you feel so good after an operation, but you have to pull in the reins because your mind is saying one thing and your body another. So take it from someone who has been there and do what it takes to get you on the road to complete recovery. listen to Georgia and take her advise even though you are gunning to get going on your own and want to be on top of things. Remember we aren't as young as we use to be. I want you well so we can dance our feet off in 2014, OK, I'm done and getting off my rant box:).
Hey Stella

Are you on some of my happy juice? Diane did not have surgery nor does she post on the Boards :p

Yes, I know better than to push it but I wouldn't be me if I didn't try. The swelling is a constant but I am working hard to keep it down.

I have to tell you about one of our night time rituals (our own Olympics). I have to wear a "stabilizer" during the night. Delta, this is the huge wrap with velcro the size of Delaware you saw in the hospital. This helps keep the ice wraps in place but it's main purpose is to keep my leg perfectly straight, toes up, while I sleep. After I take the night time meds (including a pain pill) and make a final trip to the bathroom, I get myself situated on the recliner while Diane gingerly lifts my leg and places the brace under it. Once the bar is in position, she holds the wrap closed while I stretch the huge velcro straps around it. I'm worn out at this point :(

2-3 hours later, she is dead asleep and I have now awaken struggling to get out of this contraption so I can go to the bathroom. I do my best to get back in it alone (I hate waking her up)...sometimes it works, other times, well, I sleep without it. :p

Enjoy the Olympics!

Cruznation
July 29th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Ed, our Boomerang DD and DGS have left for greener pastures (really an apartment). I miss them but love getting the house back. I now have my cruise preparation room back!

Very good!

We're glad he liked the idea of a studio. The space will be more useful to us when he does fly the nest again.

Aussie joke: What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.

Stella777
July 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hey Stella

Are you on some of my happy juice? Diane did not have surgery nor does she post on the Boards :p

Yes, I know better than to push it but I wouldn't be me if I didn't try. The swelling is a constant but I am working hard to keep it down.

I have to tell you about one of our night time rituals (our own Olympics). I have to wear a "stabilizer" during the night. Delta, this is the huge wrap with velcro the size of Delaware you saw in the hospital. This helps keep the ice wraps in place but it's main purpose is to keep my leg perfectly straight, toes up, while I sleep. After I take the night time meds (including a pain pill) and make a final trip to the bathroom, I get myself situated on the recliner while Diane gingerly lifts my leg and places the brace under it. Once the bar is in position, she holds the wrap closed while I stretch the huge velcro straps around it. I'm worn out at this point :(

2-3 hours later, she is dead asleep and I have now awaken struggling to get out of this contraption so I can go to the bathroom. I do my best to get back in it alone (I hate waking her up)...sometimes it works, other times, well, I sleep without it. :p

Enjoy the Olympics!

Sorry about the name mix-up, Georgia:D. I started watching the Olympics at 8am this morning:eek:. It came on at 7am but that's a little too early for me on the weekend.

Stella777
July 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Very good!

We're glad he liked the idea of a studio. The space will be more useful to us when he does fly the nest again.

Aussie joke: What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.

My boomerang won't come back, My boomerang won't come back, I've waved the thing all over the place, Practiced till I was black in the face, I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race, My boomerang won't come back. I can ride a kangaroo (yeah yeah) Make kinkajou stew (yeah yeah) But I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race, My boomerang won't come back.

dixieva
July 29th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Neither of my two boomerangs have come back! For this I am grateful.

When I sold the family home I bought a small condo-just big enough for me:D! Just sayin'! No basement or lots of bedrooms or bathrooms.

cruzette
July 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
My boomerang won't come back, My boomerang won't come back, I've waved the thing all over the place, Practiced till I was black in the face, I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race, My boomerang won't come back. I can ride a kangaroo (yeah yeah) Make kinkajou stew (yeah yeah) But I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race, My boomerang won't come back.
OMG...I haven't heard that song in years!! and Ed, great joke!

Grandma Gail
July 30th, 2012, 06:59 AM

I agree we need another get together. I m just throwing these dates out for consideration, September 23 or 29. Let's get this going before too much time goes by.

Ed, that place you were talking about (carving) sounded interesting. Please give some more info and see what everyone thinks.

Cruznation
July 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I agree we need another get together. I m just throwing these dates out for consideration, September 23 or 29. Let's get this going before too much time goes by.

Ed, that place you were talking about (carving) sounded interesting. Please give some more info and see what everyone thinks.

The Brazilian Steakhouse (http://charbroilgrillsteakhouse.com/main.html), not cheap, but decent place if you always wanted to try one. Much cheaper in Woodbridge than downtown Washington. Going for Lunch might be the best option.

In Alexandria there is Mango Mike's (http://www.mangomikes.com/mangos-alexandria.html), a beach bar type of place. Very Caribbean atmosphere with really good BBQ. They have a branch on the boardwalk at Bethany Beach in Delaware.

I can dig up some other choices, but most of my picks are close to I-95. It's where I live and I know these best. Folks using 301, there is National Harbor (http://nationalharbor.com/), a big complex of hotels and restaurants off the 495 beltway on the Maryland side of the Potomac. You can cut over at Upper Marlboro, or there may be faster ways depending on your direction. They are trying to put a casino there.

TH451
July 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Sunday Sept 23rd, we are headed north to Lancaster, PA. for a few days. We usually leave early, but may be persuaded to adjust travel plans a bit.

DragonOfTheSeas
July 30th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Last time you mentioned Mike's American Grill. I have not been to the Springfield location---but, the one is Boston was great.

We stayed at the National Harbor once. The restuarants there are an interesting mix. I do not remember the names of any of them. One consideration there is parking. (public lots are $$ and very few on-street spots)

Bethany Beach is too far for us. But, we understand why you want to go north and east next time. If we can make it --fine. If not, we will join the "beadies" next time.

DELTABLUE
July 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Check this out...

http://www.thenautilusdiner.com/

The Crofton location is near here. There is a link to the menu on the site. It is a pretty good all around diner, on the highway and lots of free parking. If we meet there on the 23rd, Tommy can stop on his way to Lancaster.;)

cruzette
July 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Check this out...

The Crofton location is near here. There is a link to the menu on the site. It is a pretty good all around diner, on the highway and lots of free parking. If we meet there on the 23rd, Tommy can stop on his way to Lancaster.;)
Heaven willing, 23 Sep works for us.

We've heard from several people that the Nautilus Diner is pretty good and has something for everyone. The on-line reviews are more good than bad. Great idea, Delta!

DragonOfTheSeas
July 30th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Delta--that sounds like a good place. The menu has something for everyone.:)

Cruznation
July 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Check this out...

Looks great to us!

CeeAngel
July 31st, 2012, 07:55 AM
If you all meet on the 23rd I will have to catch up next time. I will be in Lancaster County for a few days. Catching a couple of shows, and the tailgate party at Kettle Kitchen in Intercourse. A few days of relaxation at one of my favorite places.

Cruznation
July 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Last time you mentioned Mike's American Grill. I have not been to the Springfield location---but, the one is Boston was great.

I think it's academic now, but Mike's is one of a DC chain called the Great American Restaurants. (Mike's American Grill)

Did you mean Mike's City Diner (http://www.mikescitydiner.com/) in Boston?

Bethany Beach is about 3 hours for us, so I wasn't suggesting it, just mentioning that Mango's had a branch there. A lot of us in northern VA and MD spend weekends at the MD and DE beaches and might be familiar with it. When we stayed at Sea Colony, before they were bought by the ridiculously expensive Resort Quest, we would have Sunday brunch at Mango's before heading back to VA.

How many, BTW, are doing the lunch on the Carnival Pride?

TH451
July 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Check this out...

What time was everyone thinking? I noticed they open early and serve everything. Could this be breakfast or brunch? Just a thought.

Shirley, when will you be in Lancaster? maybe we will run into each other. I like Kitchen Kettle when the two guys play bass fiddle, guitar and banjo live.

Cruznation
July 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
What time was everyone thinking? I noticed they open early and serve everything. Could this be breakfast or brunch? Just a thought.

If it makes scheduling easier for those of us travelling elsewhere, we are cool with a brunch or early lunch!

dixieva
July 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
We'll be on the Pride for lunch!!

Oh wait-that's because we're booked on this cruise:D and you mean the travel agent lunch/tour! I'm sure we'll see you guys in the terminal as we wait to board the ship.

We usually come up and spend the night before the cruise in Bowie and if we were doing that this time we could meet for dinner in that area but we've decided to drive up that morning instead. Kelly is working on the 6th and doesn't get off until 3 so it would be late before we could get there.

Oh well, there's always the April 1st, 2013 cruise. For that one we're coming up the night before:). So maybe we could do a M & M then for those who live close enough to make it.

Grandma Gail
July 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think it's academic now, but Mike's is one of a DC chain called the Great American Restaurants. (Mike's American Grill)

Did you mean Mike's City Diner (http://www.mikescitydiner.com/) in Boston?

Bethany Beach is about 3 hours for us, so I wasn't suggesting it, just mentioning that Mango's had a branch there. A lot of us in northern VA and MD spend weekends at the MD and DE beaches and might be familiar with it. When we stayed at Sea Colony, before they were bought by the ridiculously expensive Resort Quest, we would have Sunday brunch at Mango's before heading back to VA.

How many, BTW, are doing the lunch on the Carnival Pride?
Ken and I are taking the Pride Tour and have requested that we be seated with the rest of the Bead Brigade.

Grandma Gail
July 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
If it makes scheduling easier for those of us travelling elsewhere, we are cool with a brunch or early lunch!
Any time works for us!

DELTABLUE
July 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Tommy....what time would work best for you? Noonish? As you are coming the longest distance and will be mid trip, you call it.;) All we need is a head count and I will call and let them know we are coming. So fa we are..

Ed & Kathy
Gail & Ken
Tommy & Sandra
Georgia & Diane
Delta
Agnes & Alan

And for the Pride Lunch:

Ed & Kathy
Gail & Ken
Delta

cruzette
July 31st, 2012, 05:57 PM

Shirley, when will you be in Lancaster? maybe we will run into each other. I like Kitchen Kettle when the two guys play bass fiddle, guitar and banjo live.
Great thing about Diners...breakfast, lunch, dinner all day! We are available whenever everyone else is.

TH451
July 31st, 2012, 06:01 PM
Tommy....what time would work best for you? Noonish? As you are coming the longest distance and will be mid trip, you call it.;) All we need is a head count and I will call and let them know we are coming. So fa we are..

Ed & Kathy
Gail & Ken
Tommy & Sandra
Georgia & Diane
Delta
Agnes & Alan

And for the Pride Lunch:

Ed & Kathy
Gail & Ken
Delta

We probably could do noon or before because we usually are on the road early.

DragonOfTheSeas
July 31st, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think it's academic now, but Mike's is one of a DC chain called the Great American Restaurants. (http://Mike's American Grill) so sorry--I thought you meant Mike's American Grill at 6210 Backlick Rd Springfield, Virginia.

Did you mean Mike's City Diner (http://www.mikescitydiner.com/) in Boston? No--There was a Mike's American Grill on Long Warf in Boston. But, I just searched for it and I see it is closed.

Mango's sounds like fun!:)

Cruznation
August 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
Mango's sounds like fun!:)

Mango's is a big beach bar. Great place for happy hour.

And yes, Mike's American Grill is at 6210 Backlick Rd Springfield, Virginia. It's part of the Great American chain; Sweetwater, Silverado, Artie's, Carlyle, Ozzie's, and Coastal Flats. Coastal Flats is actually our favorite as it is done like Old Havana. Very Caribbean. Great mojitos. Mike's is just 5 minutes from the house... :D

cruzette
August 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
All is going well...dr was quite pleased with my progress. Next step is in four weeks when HOPEFULLY the dr will release me and allow me to drive. ;)

DELTABLUE
August 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Georgia...YEAH!:D Keep up the good work.;)

2crusin
August 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Sept. 23, DH & I will be working ... looks like we miss another one

Pride lunch we'll wave to all of you as you board.. we'll be working

Georgia sounds like you are doing great with recovery.. one of these days I will have to bite the bullet & get mine done

We're heading down the ocean on Sunday evening

dixieva
August 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
http://th1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/Jacqueline_SwillieCoupland/th_Happy-Anniversary-1-1.jpg

To Tommy and Sandra!! Have a wonderful day.

dixieva
August 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Georgia-happy to hear that you are coming along nicely! I saw the pic on FB of your scar:eek::eek:! All I can say is wow! I know it must be hard for you with no driving for so long.

The more I know about knee replacement the more thankful I am that it was my hip and not one of my knees that needed replacing.

Grandma Gail
August 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Tommy and Sandra - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Cruznation
August 2nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
`http://www.youlinkspace.com/anniversary/anniversary_comment_graphic_01.gif

Tommy & Sandra,
I hope the "happy" years have gone up to 29!!! :D

cruzette
August 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Sept. 23, DH & I will be working ... looks like we miss another one

Pride lunch we'll wave to all of you as you board.. we'll be working

Georgia sounds like you are doing great with recovery.. one of these days I will have to bite the bullet & get mine done

We're heading down the ocean on Sunday evening

I'm inclined to say that I had a WONDERFUL surgical team, an awesome team of PT's, and simply wonderful friends who have helped me get this far! THANK YOU!!

Barb, let me know if you need the name of a good surgeon. I now totally believe him when he said, "you may as well let me take care of the surgery...after all, I am the best!" He was quite pompous but there was something about him that I really liked. It didn't hurt either when after operating on me at 9:30a.m., he showed up in my room at 10pm just to check up on me! His PA is very good as well. Don't put it off any longer than you have too. You have to be faithful with your PT (and sometimes it isn't easy) but so far, it was TOTALLY worth it!

cruzette
August 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
How blessed you two are to have one another!!! Hugs and kisses to you both! ;):p;)

DELTABLUE
August 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Tommy & Sandra....

http://www.orkutwishes.com/graphics/anniversary_graphics/anniversary_05.gif (http://www.orkutwishes.com/graphics/anniversary_graphics/anniversary_05.shtml)

Keep cruising through life together for many more years!

cruzette
August 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
All is going well...dr was quite pleased with my progress. Next step is in four weeks when HOPEFULLY the dr will release me and allow me to drive. ;)
I forgot one piece of disappointing news. We had planned to drive to Stauton, VA for a few days to visit friends we hadn't seen in a while (hence the reason I asked earlier where everyone was located relative to Stauton). We also planned to fly to Boston for a few days to visit Diane's mom. Well, none of that is going to happen. I can not fly AT ALL, and I cannot be in a car for more than 15-20 min without stopping, getting out of the car, walking and icing. Oh well...we thought we had a way to spend time with some of our southern friends. Good plans, we just didn't consider the possible consequences of it.

dixieva
August 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Wow Georgia! So sorry to hear that you are going to be "grounded' for a while yet! I guess folks will just have to come to you!

I think I would go crazy if I couldn't drive for 6 weeks:eek: or even ride in a car without the consequences! I am resolved to take really good care of my knees from now on. Does that mean I should cut out doing excercises that strain the knees:D? Probably not.

Trust me-hip replacement is a breeze compared to the knee. I was walking without a walker in a few days and driving within a week. And no PT!

Hang in there girl!

2crusin
August 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Happy Anniversary Tommy & Sandrahttp://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4573088565821441&id=00dde5c04ed851c42df81290348c8475

cruzette
August 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Wow Georgia! So sorry to hear that you are going to be "grounded' for a while yet! I guess folks will just have to come to you!

I think I would go crazy if I couldn't drive for 6 weeks:eek: or even ride in a car without the consequences! I am resolved to take really good care of my knees from now on. Does that mean I should cut out doing excercises that strain the knees:D? Probably not.

Trust me-hip replacement is a breeze compared to the knee. I was walking without a walker in a few days and driving within a week. And no PT!

Hang in there girl!
I can't even imagine having hip replacement!

DragonOfTheSeas
August 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Step--Twist--Turn; Step--Twist--Turn. Imagine that is me doing a happy dance. Alan and I booked The Grandeur cruise from San Juan to Baltimore on April 24, 2013. (The week the rest of you beadies are taking a last cruise on Enchantment did not work for us. :mad: )

So, we decided we would go get Grandeur and bring her to Baltimore. :D

We still plan to take the March 8, 2014 cruise. But, that was too long to wait!

dixieva
August 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Great! Now you can come home from that cruise and tell us all about the "new" Grandeur!

Georgia-really the hip replacement was much easier than your knee. Even my surgeon told me that knee replacement was much more involved than the hip joint-many more moving parts I guess. Plus I had a great doctor who uses a fairly new hip replacement procedure which is 100 times better than the old way.

Too bad our assorted parts don't tend to last us for our lifetime!:D

CeeAngel
August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM

I will be in PA from Sept. 19th. On the 23rd Kettle Kitchen is closed, but we will be catching a show at American Music Theater. I am also going up next weekend, 10th & 11th. Love to sit and listen to Banjo Jimmy!

Happy Anniversary!

CeeAngel
August 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I forgot one piece of disappointing news. We had planned to drive to Stauton, VA for a few days to visit friends we hadn't seen in a while (hence the reason I asked earlier where everyone was located relative to Stauton). We also planned to fly to Boston for a few days to visit Diane's mom. Well, none of that is going to happen. I can not fly AT ALL, and I cannot be in a car for more than 15-20 min without stopping, getting out of the car, walking and icing. Oh well...we thought we had a way to spend time with some of our southern friends. Good plans, we just didn't consider the possible consequences of it.

Oh, this is disappointing news, it would have been the perfect timing for visiting. Guess the doctor knows best, might as well listen to him. A few more weeks and perhaps everything will be back to normal.

TH451
August 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Sandra's doctor didn't specifically mention not driving for any certain time. So after about three weeks, she was getting cabin fever on Sunday afternoon and drove to a local store (about 10 min away) to shop. Well on Monday morning when her in-home therapist came, she asked how Sandra's weekend had been. Sandra told her about the shopping excursion and all of a sudden the therapist stuck her fingers in her ears and started singing. Then she told Sandra that if there had been an accident, Sandra would have been in big trouble since she was not cleared to drive so soon after surgery. Who knew? So she was more patient for the other 3-4 weeks before getting the okay.

I know therapy works because some days Sandra would be limping into the office and after a couple of hours, she would almost be running out. Keep up the good spirits and recovery will be complete before you know it.:)

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes. It has been a good day and for the life of me; where has all that time gone?

dixieva
August 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Check out the roll call for the 2014 cruise for a link to a review with pics of the "new" Grandeur! She has just started the review so you'll need to keep checking as she goes along for more pics.

Wow!

DragonOfTheSeas
August 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Check out the roll call for the 2014 cruise for a link to a review with pics of the "new" Grandeur! She has just started the review so you'll need to keep checking as she goes along for more pics.

Wow!

Thanks for posting this! I will be following her review. She includes lots of pictures. :)

dixieva
August 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Can't wait to see more pics! We booked a JS too but ours is in the corner aft on deck 7-hope it looks as good as her JS on deck 8!

cruzette
August 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Sandra's doctor didn't specifically mention not driving for any certain time. So after about three weeks, she was getting cabin fever on Sunday afternoon and drove to a local store (about 10 min away) to shop. Well on Monday morning when her in-home therapist came, she asked how Sandra's weekend had been. Sandra told her about the shopping excursion and all of a sudden the therapist stuck her fingers in her ears and started singing. Then she told Sandra that if there had been an accident, Sandra would have been in big trouble since she was not cleared to drive so soon after surgery. Who knew? So she was more patient for the other 3-4 weeks before getting the okay.

I know therapy works because some days Sandra would be limping into the office and after a couple of hours, she would almost be running out. Keep up the good spirits and recovery will be complete before you know it.:)

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes. It has been a good day and for the life of me; where has all that time gone?
I know how Sandra felt...but I was told right up front that because this was my right knee, I couldn't drive for at least 6 weeks! I had no idea that there would be no long distance driving. I guess the prospect of blood clots makes everyone a little nervous.

DragonOfTheSeas
August 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Can't wait to see more pics! We booked a JS too but ours is in the corner aft on deck 7-hope it looks as good as her JS on deck 8!

We got a JS on deck 8 directly across form hers. We hope it looks just the same.:D

dixieva
August 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
I really love the new carpet and drapes! I have asked her if she has some pics of her bathroom-would love to see that too.

DragonOfTheSeas
August 3rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I really love the new carpet and drapes! I have asked her if she has some pics of her bathroom-would love to see that too.

I would like to see the bathroom, too. We usually have an inside or outside cabin. (no tub) So, I would like to see the JS.

dixieva
August 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Oh boy! First time in a JS? You're gonna be in heaven!

DragonOfTheSeas
August 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
We have had several balcony cabins (RCL and Carnival) and a JS on Carnival. It was very roomy. It had 2 closets (none were walk-in) --but, the bathroom just had a shower.

I am very excited about this cruise. I guess I will be spoiled forever.:)

dixieva
August 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Maybe not too spoiled! I do love the JS but am perfectly happy in a D1 balcony. Really don't care much about the room-just have to have a balcony no matter how tiny it might be. Carnival has really small balcony rooms (but they are cheap!) and we do fine there. And I mean the room and the balcony are small.

Stella777
August 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Worked overtime all this week and came home around 7pm Friday night to no AC:eek:. It was too late to do something about it so I will have to grin and bare it until Monday. Meanwhile I have been out and about to places that have AC like the local Mall and Barnes and Noble which is a favorite haunt where I can hook up my computer to their WiFi. Last time the maintenance man came, I didn't hang around to see what he did to fix the problem but went on to work, this time, I will ask him what I can do to fix it myself if possible because he keeps saying it is a circuit breaker problem and that I might be plugging in too many things. I told him that I am doing what I normally do and that I am not overloading the circuit. So we will see what we will see:confused:. It's now 97 degrees in my place and not good for sleeping even with an electric fan which is just blowing the hot air around. I will leave again on Sunday to the Mall and Barnes and Nobles for the day until I can go home to relative lower temperatures, probably make a whole day of it and go home when the sun goes down...sheesh:o.

Cruznation
August 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Worked overtime all this week and came home around 7pm Friday night to no AC:eek:.

Definitely watch what he does to the breakers and take notes. Any AC problems we've had were unfortunately more $erious. We had a new unit put in a couple of years ago and so far all is well. :) Stay hydrated. Maybe freeze some bottled water and put one near your bed when you go to sleep. Middle of the night, a nice cold water is so good and it sounds like you could use some.
Good luck, Stella. We wish you the best.

dixieva
August 5th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Oh no not again Stella!:eek: Hope you get if fixed soon.

Today is house cleaning day and then I can concentrate on packing for the beach! Yay! Leaving for my sister Carmen's house in Nags Head, N.C. Thursday morning for another wonderful week at the beach. And this time my son, DIL, grandkids and granddog are coming for the weekend! Can't wait to see the dog's first glimpse of the ocean! He's a huge Lab (over 100 lbs) and loves the water. He will jump into any puddle, creek. pond or lake so we'll see how he likes the ocean and waves. Should be a hoot! Glad I'm not the one who will have to wash him with the hose when he's done on the beach to get all of the sand off of him.

cruzette
August 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Worked overtime all this week and came home around 7pm Friday night to no AC:eek:. It was too late to do something about it so I will have to grin and bare it until Monday. Meanwhile I have been out and about to places that have AC like the local Mall and Barnes and Noble which is a favorite haunt where I can hook up my computer to their WiFi. Last time the maintenance man came, I didn't hang around to see what he did to fix the problem but went on to work, this time, I will ask him what I can do to fix it myself if possible because he keeps saying it is a circuit breaker problem and that I might be plugging in too many things. I told him that I am doing what I normally do and that I am not overloading the circuit. So we will see what we will see:confused:. It's now 97 degrees in my place and not good for sleeping even with an electric fan which is just blowing the hot air around. I will leave again on Sunday to the Mall and Barnes and Nobles for the day until I can go home to relative lower temperatures, probably make a whole day of it and go home when the sun goes down...sheesh:o.
Good grief Stella...not again!! Pls take care of yourself...stay cool and safe!

cruzette
August 5th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Last evening when the sun finally went down, I headed outside to take my short walk. Diane even decided to let me go alone...woooohoooo, freedom! While I was out I couldn't help but notice how ragged my front yard is looking. Yes Diane is cutting grass, but she is not trimming, weeding, or anything else that is needed. So, I picked up my trimmers and starting trimming a little here, a little there until my neighbor caught me...so I figured I had been get inside before he blew the whistle.

This morning, Diane walked out to get the paper and noticed the pile of trimmings. :eek: Needless to say, she was not happy with me at all! But she knows I'll probably be back out there again, if this weather ever breaks!!

Having lunch at YellowFin with DD and her husband....yeaaahhhhhhhh!

Grandma Gail
August 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Why do things always break on the weekends, or you get sick on the weekends? It never fails. Try and stay cool, go to a friends house or my favorite go shopping. Really, stay safe.

Grandma Gail
August 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Have we decided on a time yet? Tommy, what time would be good for you and Sandra?

2crusin
August 5th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just got in from work a little while ago headng to the beach for the week... terrible storm going thru our area right now.
heavy rain and wind... at least the van is packed ..
WE'LL JUST SIT TIGHT until the heavy rain stops .
will stop for dinner along the way

Stella, sure hope u get that AC fixed ....
Dixie enjoy the beach !
Georgia, you better be good ... or you may never find your clippers till winter if Diane catches you again !

talk to you all next week when we get back home ...

dixieva
August 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks and I hope you have a great week too once the rain stops.

It's hot and sunny here but rain is on the way tonight and tomorrow.

Now what? House is clean now and I'm packed for the beach but we don't leave until Thursday morning:eek:! Thank god for computer games and Radio's live thread from the Enchantment (he just arrived in Bermuda this afternoon.):D

Cruznation
August 5th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Our older son has been working with us to clear the basement of "stuff" as we prepare for the re-model. My heavens the crap we have accumulated! Most of it just went to the curb but some we're going to see if we can unload via e-Bay.
We found three tape recorders, a set of walkie talkies (1960's vintage), and two defunct answering machines. Not to mention several analog TV's of various sizes. The trashmen are going to love us. :D

Hope everyone else's weekend was more relaxing.

dixieva
August 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM
That's a big job Ed!

I have never lived in a house with a basement but I think the stuff that gets put down there must be like the stuff people put in an attic. Stuff that deep down you know you'll never use again but just can't bring yourself to get rid of it.

When I sold the family home and moved into my condo I remember my son and I cleaning out the attic. Let's just say that we looked like Sandford and Son in the pickup truck going to the dump:eek:! I swear there was stuff up there that I hadn't seen in 20 years!

So I have a new rule-if I don't need it enough for it to be in my house I don't need it in the attic either! My attic here is empty and I plan to keep it that way.

Oh and cleaning out the two car garage in the old house-well, that's a whole story in itself:eek:!

Cruznation
August 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM
That's a big job Ed!
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#0000ff]When I sold the family home and moved into my condo I remember my son and I cleaning out the attic. Let's just say that we looked like Sandford and Son in the pickup truck going to the dump:eek:! I swear there was stuff up there that I hadn't seen in 20 years!

Exactly! We've had several older relatives pass on and so we've ended up with "stuff" from Kathy's mom, my parents and several aunts and uncles. Mostly pictures and legal documents that seemed a good idea to keep at the time. As you say, after 20 years their usefulness, if any, has long passed. :eek:

So far we are averaging only a 25% salvage rate. :)

cruzette
August 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Exactly! We've had several older relatives pass on and so we've ended up with "stuff" from Kathy's mom, my parents and several aunts and uncles. Mostly pictures and legal documents that seemed a good idea to keep at the time. As you say, after 20 years their usefulness, if any, has long passed. :eek:

So far we are averaging only a 25% salvage rate. :)
You might find www.freecycle.org helpful. No $$ changes hands, and it keeps things from heading to the dump that others might find useful. Post it, and when someone responds to the ad, tell them where to pick it up, put it out front and it disappears.

Cruznation
August 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM
You might find www.freecycle.org helpful. No $$ changes hands, and it keeps things from heading to the dump that others might find useful. Post it, and when someone responds to the ad, tell them where to pick it up, put it out front and it disappears.

That sounds good. So far two bikes and a mahogany secretary that had seen much better days have disappeared from the pile at the curb.:)

TH451
August 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Have we decided on a time yet? Tommy, what time would be good for you and Sandra?

I don't think any time has been agreed upon. We will be leaving in the AM and so as not to be too late getting to Pa., I'm thinking no later than noon. :)

Has the place been chosen yet?

DELTABLUE
August 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Tommy...The place we were zeroing in on is the Nautilus Diner, in Crofton, MD.

I just spoke to them and they said that they could accommodate our group. As you will have the most time constraints, you let us know what time will work best for you. 11, 11:30, noon? You call it.;)

Stella777
August 7th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your concerns.Yeah! Cool air at last:D. Seems as though according to the maintenance guy that something is tripping the breaker:eek:. Tested different things but couldn't find what's the problem:confused:. At least I know what to do if it happens again.

dixieva
August 7th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Stella-glad you're back in the AC!

Well, it seems to be official-RCI will no longer send out luggage tags beginning sometime soon (forget the exact date). There is a loooong thread going on that. People-it's just a luggage tag! Chill out! Some peeps are up in arms about it. Carnival has not provided tags for a couple of years now.

So what we did was order luggage tag holders from Serendipity dot com. They are clear plastic and come with the clear plastic wrap thing to attach them to your luggage. I love them. You just print your tags when you print your boarding docs, fold them and put them into the holder. Re-usable and you won't have to laminate or put clear packing tape on the printed tags and figure out a way to laminate them.

I ordered 6 for us with the 6 inch wrap (I think the 9 inch would be too long) and with shipping it came to $3 for each tag.

Cruznation
August 7th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Well, it seems to be official-RCI will no longer send out luggage tags beginning sometime soon (forget the exact date). There is a loooong thread going on that. People-it's just a luggage tag! Chill out! Some peeps are up in arms about it. Carnival has not provided tags for a couple of years now.

So what we did was order luggage tag holders from Serendipity dot com. They are clear plastic and come with the clear plastic wrap thing to attach them to your luggage. I love them. You just print your tags when you print your boarding docs, fold them and put them into the holder. Re-usable and you won't have to laminate or put clear packing tape on the printed tags and figure out a way to laminate them.

I ordered 6 for us with the 6 inch wrap (I think the 9 inch would be too long) and with shipping it came to $3 for each tag.

Thanks, Dixie! That sounds like a great idea!

Grandma Gail
August 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Dixie had given me the website for the luggagr tags and I ordered some with the 6 inch loop and they look like they will be really good. Haven't used them yet but having to print out luggage tags these will really come in handy.

Grandma Gail
August 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Copied this from another thread: Bag Tag Mailer Updates: Please be aware that for the Royal Caribbean International brand, effective for all guest documents issued on, or after, August 8, 2012, we will be eliminating the ability to order a Bag Tag Mailer for all guests/bookings with the exception of Crown & Anchor Pinnacle members and Suite guests (Grand Suites and above). For all other Royal Caribbean International bookings, bag tags will now be included as a page within the eDoc ticket booklets, which can then be printed and attached by the guest. At this time, while we will still allow a bag tag mailing address to be entered within the CruiseMatch booking engine, please be aware that after August 8, 2012 no mailers will be sent to any addresses that are provided here for Royal Caribbean International bookings. At this time, these changes do not impact guests/bookings on either the Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club Cruises brands.

Cruznation
August 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#8b0000]So what we did was order luggage tag holders from Serendipity dot com. [/QUOTE]

Dixie,
Do you mean ******************* dot com (http://www.*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html)?

Serendipity dot com just got me to an index site that linked to other sites, they didn't sell anything...

cruzette
August 7th, 2012, 09:33 AM
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#8b0000]So what we did was order luggage tag holders from Serendipity dot com.

Dixie,
Do you mean ******************* dot com (http://www.*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html)?

Serendipity dot com just got me to an index site that linked to other sites, they didn't sell anything...[/QUOTE]
Amazon has a package of 8 for $24. Spend another $1 and shipping is free.

dixieva
August 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM
oops sorry-it's favors by serendipity dot com. $2.50 each for 5 or more plus 3.99 shipping

cruzette
August 7th, 2012, 11:22 AM
oops sorry-it's favors by serendipity dot com. $2.50 each for 5 or more plus 3.99 shipping
found it....order placed! Thanks Dixie

Stella777
August 7th, 2012, 11:33 AM

I was able to go into my carnival cruise document site and print luggage tags if that's what you mean. I went to"view cruise documents" and it has a box to click on to print the tags.

I checked again today and the tags are still available for printing.

dixieva
August 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Stella we're talking about the luggage tags that Royal Carribbean was mailing us. These were tags all ready to attach to your luggage. Carnival used to mail these too but I know Carnival stoppped mailing luggage tags a couple of years ago but this is new for RCI. If you print them you have to laminate them or put clear packing tape on them and then figure out a way to attach to your luggage. With these clear luggage tags you just print, fold and insert them into the holders. Much easier. And you can use them again and again!

DELTABLUE
August 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wonder how much RCI will save by this cost cutting measure and additional way to divide the classes cruising together.:confused::mad: I'm actually surprised that they are giving you the chance to do your own printing rather than implementing a non-negotiable, but plus profit, luggage tag fee.:eek::rolleyes:

Stella777
August 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Stella we're talking about the luggage tags that Royal Carribbean was mailing us. These were tags all ready to attach to your luggage. Carnival used to mail these too but I know Carnival stoppped mailing luggage tags a couple of years ago but this is new for RCI. If you print them you have to laminate them or put clear packing tape on them and then figure out a way to attach to your luggage. With these clear luggage tags you just print, fold and insert them into the holders. Much easier. And you can use them again and again!
I printed the tags on stick back paper at work and you just fold the ends together around the handle. They are like the ones I had for the RCI cruise we all went on. I will probably get the ones you are talking about for future cruises.

dixieva
August 7th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Whatever works for you! When I print mine I have to do something to them in order to attach them to my luggage and to keep them dry if it's raining on embarkation day and it's just too much trouble. Sounds like you have a good set up at work to have yours all ready.

And Delta I agree with you! I think that the cost to continue to print for Diamond plus and Pinnacle members is pretty low (I wouldn't think there are huge numbers of these cruisers) and it's another little perk for them. Hopefully I'll live long enough to make Diamond Plus:D

OOps- just noticed that it's Suite guests and Pinnacle that will get luggage tags. So no need to hurry to Diamond plus!

TH451
August 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Tommy...The place we were zeroing in on is the Nautilus Diner, in Crofton, MD.

I just spoke to them and they said that they could accommodate our group. As you will have the most time constraints, you let us know what time will work best for you. 11, 11:30, noon? You call it.;)

Personally, I like the 11:00 or 11:30 time. Don't know if that will be a problem for any of you.

DELTABLUE
August 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM
We'll take middle ground and set our meet time for 11:30AM on Sunday, September 23, at the Nautilus Diner in Crofton! Y'all come!:D Will do a head count closer to brunch time. Glad that is all set!:rolleyes::p

DELTABLUE
August 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I did not read Tommy's post carefully to the end.:o Change time to 11 AM.;) The rest of the info remains as in the above post.

TH451
August 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I did not read Tommy's post carefully to the end.:o Change time to 11 AM.;) The rest of the info remains as in the above post.

That will work for us and hopefully for everyone else as well. :) Can't wait to see you all there.

dixieva
August 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'm really wishing we could make the M & M lunch! But even if Kelly wasn't working the 23rd of Sept. is my son's birthday.

Is it too early to plan a dinner for March 31, 2013?:D:eek: We will be in Bowie on the 31st spending the night before boarding Enchantment for the April 1st cruise. Mark the date!

Grandma Gail
August 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm really wishing we could make the M & M lunch! But even if Kelly wasn't working the 23rd of Sept. is my son's birthday.

Is it too early to plan a dinner for March 31, 2013?:D:eek: We will be in Bowie on the 31st spending the night before boarding Enchantment for the April 1st cruise. Mark the date!
I have the date marked Dixie. We will be back from our 2 week cruise on Explorer.

Also, just throwing together a get together at Timbuktu on August 25th at 3:00pm. It will be Ken and my 39th Wedding Anniversary and we thought the Bead Brigade would be just the right people to celebrate with. Just let me know here or my email if you are able to come. grandmagailhornig@gmail.com

DELTABLUE
August 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Was looking on the RCI site for the place you can request to cash in RCI VISA points for OBCs. Can't find it.:o Can someone please give me directions?:confused:

Cruznation
August 7th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Was looking on the RCI site for the place you can request to cash in RCI VISA points for OBCs. Can't find it.:o Can someone please give me directions?:confused:

Delta,

Go to the RCCL home page. Scroll ALL the way down. In the text menu at the bottom is a header that reads CUSTOMIZE YOUR CRUISE. Royal Rewards is the last item in that column. Click on that and you can redeem your Royal VISA points. :)

Cruznation
August 7th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Kathy didn't feel well this morning. She called Kaiser and their advice was to call 911. The EMT's examined her and took her to Fairfax hospital where we spent the day in the ER trying to determine if she was having a cardiac event.

By 8pm the consensus was probably not and they sent her home, but she is scheduled for a stress test tomorrow.

We've all been there and heaven knows I put her thru this enough times now, but it is not a good thing to have to sit there hoping and praying for the best.
We've had better days. Hope you all had a much better one. :)

DELTABLUE
August 8th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Oh, no! Ed...please give Kathy my best and let her know that she in my thoughts and prayers! Though it is no fun being IN an ER bed, it's not much easier to be on the other side while it is occupied by your loved one.:( Been there done that. Hope it was just some kind of fluke, that she gets a good report tomorrow and is feeling better soon!

Thanx for the assist on the rewards points.;)

Cruznation
August 8th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Oh, no! Ed...please give Kathy my best and let her know that she in my thoughts and prayers! Though it is no fun being IN an ER bed, it's not much easier to be on the other side while it is occupied by your loved one.:( Been there done that. Hope it was just some kind of fluke, that she gets a good report tomorrow and is feeling better soon!

Thanx for the assist on the rewards points.;)

Believe me, my friend, I thought of you. Thanks for many things. :)

dixieva
August 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Ed-please give Kathy our best wishes and hope she finds out it was nothing to worry about. Will keep you and her in our thoughts and prayers!

CeeAngel
August 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Ed,

Pray that the stress test goes well for Cathy, and all is found to be in excellent working condition.

Don't allow the docs to tell her "no more wine", or she will have a cardiac-event for sure!!:p

Cruznation
August 8th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Dixie & Shirley,

Kathy thought this was a panic attack; heart races, shaky, etc. The EMT's just saw too many symptoms to not haul her to the hospital. And that is a good thing. Better to err on the side of caution.

She's stressed over the basement re-model. A lot of fuss and part of our home is being gutted and re-made. Things we've been saving for years are being tossed out. This is trauma for her, even if she likes the cleaning up.

We're waiting for the stress test appointment and then maybe they can prescribe something to keep her calm. She isn't one for pills, but I think she'll go along peaceably on this one. Thanks for the thoughts & prayers!

cruzette
August 8th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Kathy didn't feel well this morning. She called Kaiser and their advice was to call 911. The EMT's examined her and took her to Fairfax hospital where we spent the day in the ER trying to determine if she was having a cardiac event.

By 8pm the consensus was probably not and they sent her home, but she is scheduled for a stress test tomorrow.

We've all been there and heaven knows I put her thru this enough times now, but it is not a good thing to have to sit there hoping and praying for the best.
Ed, pls give Kathy our best. Our prayers are with both of you...hopefully it will turn out to be stress-related. Pls let us know how we can help you.

Grandma Gail
August 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM

OMG! Guess this is just further proves we are all getting older and need to cruise more to get away from all the stress.

Kathy, pleasr take care of yourself. I know easier said than done. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

DragonOfTheSeas
August 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Ed--we hope all goes well with the stress test.

A remodel job is enough stress to give anyone a panic attack.:eek:

Delta--I usually call the C & A number and they do it for me. :p

Stella777
August 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ed, you and Kathy will be in my prayers also.

dixieva
August 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Ed-remind Kathy that she can always get new stuff after throwing out all of the old stuff:D:D. Out with the old - in with the new!

Grandma Gail
August 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Well, all this talk about luggage tags got me excited. I had ordered 8 luggage tag holders from Serendipity a few months back after hearing about them through Dixie. I just printed out the Luggage Tags for our 11/11 Cruise and they fit perfectly in the holders!

TH451
August 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
This getting older stuff seems to bring something new everyday. Ed & Kathy our prayers are with you both. It seems to me that sitting in the ER all day and then being told of another test the next day is enough stress and no need for the test

I agree with Gail. More cruising where the only stress is "What time is the next trivia?"

dixieva
August 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yes Gail I got my luggage tag holders a few days ago and I printed my tags for our Oct. cruise. I really like them!

Wish we could help you celebrate your anniversary but can't make it. Hope lots of your friends can come!

Cruznation
August 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Georgia, Gail, Stella, Agnes, and Tommy,
Kathy sends her heartfelt thanks!

She passed the stress test with flying colors and now has to see her GP for something to calm her. :) Looks like stress was indeed the culprit.

Yes, we NEED a cruise.

Gail, we would love to join you and Ken at Timbuktu to celebrate. We are always up for a party, especially one with crabcakes. :D

Dixie, we have 5 sets of tag holders on the way. We don't cruise til November, but we are antzy to be at sea!

Tommy & Georgia, let's hope they don't schedule that first progressive during the M&M!

dixieva
August 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Great news Ed!

Hope Kathy is able to relax now and not stress out anymore.

I'm leaving bright and early in the morning for a great week at the beach so my next post will be with an ocean view!

DragonOfTheSeas
August 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Kathy--We are glad it nothing serious. Remodeling should come with a warning label!:eek:

We got luggage tags a couple of weeks ago for our cruise later this month. Little did I know they would be our last. (unless we go the full suite route)

DELTABLUE
August 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Sooo glad that the stress test results were not stressful!:p:rolleyes: Now to get Kathy a good chill pill that she likes.;):D

I need to declutter and clean out a 40 year accumulation of stuff here. After what it did to Kathy, I think I'll just let it sit for another few years.

TH451
August 8th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Kathy, Grrrrrrrrreat News.:)

dinahlevine
August 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
So happy that Kathy is OK! Absolutely not worth stressing about de-cluttering. De-cluttering is a good thing (I might try it some year).

Cruznation
August 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Passing the stress and virtually eliminating the possibility of a cardiac problem relieved Kathy to the extent that she feels much better. Worry about what things COULD be take a toll of their own. :eek:

We have a van full of books, mostly children's books we are lugging to a used bookstore today to sell what's useful with a stop at Goodwill to donate the remainder. "Stuff" is leaving the house!

dixieva
August 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm glad Kathy is feeling better!

As promised this post is with an ocean view! We arrived around 11:30 and I have been working since then! I have made up 4 beds so far:eek:! And my back is protesting right now. That's what you get when you get here early and the others are coming in late. But it will be nice for Kelly and her brother and his family to have their rooms ready for them.

Right now I am enjoying a bit of peace and quiet because once they all descend on the house there will be very little (if any) of that! But it will be fun.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

cruzette
August 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
My 3rd week of PT has ended with very positive news. The original goal/timeline was for me to be able to bend my knee 120 degrees by the end of August. At 1045 this morning, I was at 118 degrees....YEAAAHHHH!!! :p I can actually walk up steps (step over step) without difficulty. My therapist expects me to be at 120 by Monday if I continue working at home. If so, we will switch to weight-bearing exercises to build strength. They really don't want me to go past the 120 degrees for quite a while because it would stretch it out too much during early healing.

I am TOTALLY happy with my progress, my surgical team, my PT team, and my wonderful caregiver and my friends...WOW!!! I am walking without pain and I owe it all to everyone!

Diane finally gave up the battle :rolleyes: and let me trim the yard with the weed whacker while she mowed. It was a long/hot job (wearing the TEDS, sweat pants and garden boots) but we both got it done. Now, while I'm icing the knee, I am beat...but boy did it feel good to do something normal!

dixieva
August 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Good for you Georgia!! WTG!!

You'll be running circles around Diane in no time!

Countdown to the end of peace and quiet-kids , grandkids and granddog should be here any minute!

It sure was a beautiful day today here at the beach.

Cruznation
August 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Enjoy the beach, Dixie! It sounds like you deserve it.

Georgia! Glad to hear about the progress. You and Diane will be dancing with Stella in no time. :D

Stella777
August 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM
My 3rd week of PT has ended with very positive news. The original goal/timeline was for me to be able to bend my knee 120 degrees by the end of August. At 1045 this morning, I was at 118 degrees....YEAAAHHHH!!! :p I can actually walk up steps (step over step) without difficulty. My therapist expects me to be at 120 by Monday if I continue working at home. If so, we will switch to weight-bearing exercises to build strength. They really don't want me to go past the 120 degrees for quite a while because it would stretch it out too much during early healing.

I am TOTALLY happy with my progress, my surgical team, my PT team, and my wonderful caregiver and my friends...WOW!!! I am walking without pain and I owe it all to everyone!

Diane finally gave up the battle :rolleyes: and let me trim the yard with the weed whacker while she mowed. It was a long/hot job (wearing the TEDS, sweat pants and garden boots) but we both got it done. Now, while I'm icing the knee, I am beat...but boy did it feel good to do something normal!

Hey! Hey! Hey! you know that you will be kicking it when we all are on the Grandeur Cruise for real! Uh Huh! Maybe the Cruise Brigade will be watching this all take place, no doubt:D.

Stella777
August 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Enjoy the beach, Dixie! It sounds like you deserve it.

Georgia! Glad to hear about the progress. You and Diane will be dancing with Stella in no time. :D
What about you two:confused:..humm? Do you dance and what too?:D. Come on, it's no biggie. We have to get out there and shake that thing what ever it might mean. Cruises are meant to be fun and we can do our thing because we will never come in contact with some of these people ever again and who cares really we are so much older and we can do what we want to do and not be accountable to anyone. So be it unless dancing is not your thing, than you can just watch and be a cheering squad of sorts. I am going to dance on every cruise until I can no longer do it and then be a cheering squad to those who do.

Stella777
August 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I have to get off line now since the thunder storm is going on right now and that is when I am susceptible to losing power or tripping the breaker:rolleyes:. Talk to ya later.

DELTABLUE
August 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Georgia...great news. Funny how on a normal, regular day we take being able to do the little mundane things of life for granted.:rolleyes: Happy to hear that you were out in the weeds again!:D Keep up the good work.

Dixie...enjoy the beach and the kids.

Stella...tell us what you really think about dancing!:p

Hope Kathy is having a good day.

dixieva
August 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Did I mention something about no more peace and quiet??? OMG that was an understatement:eek:!

So the dog went for his first romp ever in the ocean during which a big wave almost turned him upside down. He loved it but thought he could drink the salt water. Well, later when he got a bath and came back inside we found out what a lot of salt water can do to a dog. Let's just say I spent over an hour working on my sister's carpet in the living room but I think I finally got the stain out:eek::eek::o! Poor thing never does anything like that in the house so we know he couldn't help it. Sure would be nice sometimes if dogs could talk.

I think he has sort of gotten straight now but am going to keep him in the kitchen for a while.

I need a nap!!

Stella777
August 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Georgia...great news. Funny how on a normal, regular day we take being able to do the little mundane things of life for granted.:rolleyes: Happy to hear that you were out in the weeds again!:D Keep up the good work.

Dixie...enjoy the beach and the kids.

Stella...tell us what you really think about dancing!:p

Hope Kathy is having a good day.

Delta, These lyrics are from Chris Brown's song "Forever"(One of my favorite dance songs)
Feel the melody and the rhythm of the music

Around you, around you
I'ma take you there, I'ma take you there

So don't be scared, I'm right here, ready?

We can go anywhere, go anywhere

But first, it's your chance, take my hand, come with me
It's like I waited my whole life for this one night It's gon' be me, you and the dance floor 'Cause we only got one night

Double your pleasure, double your fun
And dance forever-ever-ever Forever-ever-ever Forever-ever-ever Forever (Forever)
Ever-ever-ever Forever-ever-ever Forever-ever-ever Forever on the dance floor:D

DELTABLUE
August 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Words to dance and live by!;):D

DELTABLUE
August 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM
You and the dog!:eek::p:rolleyes: Hope things only improve from here.:D

dixieva
August 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well, I made an executive decision and sent myself to my room:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:! Decided I needed some "me" time away from the crowds (and dog). Love them all but needed a break.

Don't know about the rest of you who live alone but I can tell you for me I have gotten used to it being just me most of the time. Love friends and family but find myself needing to have a little space now and then. so I'm holed up in my room with the TV and Internet!

I'll be ready to take everyone out to breakfast in the morning. (am tired of cooking so taking a break from that too!)

Nitey night!

DELTABLUE
August 10th, 2012, 09:19 PM
To your room!!!!!!!!!! :eek::D:rolleyes: Good for you.;)

cruzette
August 10th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Well, I made an executive decision and sent myself to my room:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:! Decided I needed some "me" time away from the crowds (and dog). Love them all but needed a break.

Don't know about the rest of you who live alone but I can tell you for me I have gotten used to it being just me most of the time. Love friends and family but find myself needing to have a little space now and then. so I'm holed up in my room with the TV and Internet!

I'll be ready to take everyone out to breakfast in the morning. (am tired of cooking so taking a break from that too!)

Nitey night!
Good for you! I totally understand what you are talking about!

dixieva
August 11th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks for not making me feel guilty! This morning I am rested and ready to face the day!

I can't believe my grandkids -- keep in mind that they are teenagers who normally sleep half the day away. They have been up before 6 a.m. each morning to go over to the beach! Tells you how excited they are to just be here. I am so glad they got to come.

Have a great day everyone!

2crusin
August 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM
got home from the beach early this afternoon.. despite the rain, and overcast weather we managed to get in some beach time....

Ed, please tell Kathy we are so glad to hear it was not her heart
Stella, know how happy you must be to be able to fix your AC ..
Dixie, know what you mean about a little quiet time :)

Gail, so sorry we will not be able to join you & Ken for your Ann.
we will be celebrating DD Birthday that day.

I just ordered 10 of the luggage tag holders...
so much better than using packing tape ...
or getting DD to got to the resource center to laminate them !

Stella777
August 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM
got home from the beach early this afternoon.. despite the rain, and overcast weather we managed to get in some beach time....

Ed, please tell Kathy we are so glad to hear it was not her heart
Stella, know how happy you must be to be able to fix your AC ..
Dixie, know what you mean about a little quiet time :)

Gail, so sorry we will not be able to join you & Ken for your Ann.
we will be celebrating DD Birthday that day.

I just ordered 10 of the luggage tag holders...
so much better than using packing tape ...
or getting DD to got to the resource center to laminate them !

Yes! I am very happy to be in AC again. But I do now get a bit nervous when a bad storm hits because it just might affect the lights and AC. Never felt like that before. So glad that you were able to get some beach time in.

DragonOfTheSeas
August 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I am going to lay out the suitcases to start thinking about packing for our next cruise. We are going to Alaska at the end of the month. [We have never been there] We know that it is cool and rainy there in September.

So, let the packing begin! :p But we need to consider: a) it will likely be hot in Virginia when we leave b) we spend 2 days in Vancouver where it should be in the 70ish range c) the cruise has 2 formal nights on the 7 day cruise (ugh) I usually like the whole formal night experience--but, not on this cruise d) we have booked a whale watch, an excursion to a glacier, and the ship visits Hubbard glacier [read cold weather gear needed] e) we have 5+ days of a land tour after the cruise and do not want to drag around a lot of luggage.

We are trying to get away with checking our large suitcase and each taking 1 roll aboard on the plane.

It may take me two weeks to pack!:eek:

Stella777
August 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I am going to lay out the suitcases to start thinking about packing for our next cruise. We are going to Alaska at the end of the month. [We have never been there] We know that it is cool and rainy there in September.

So, let the packing begin! :p But we need to consider: a) it will likely be hot in Virginia when we leave b) we spend 2 days in Vancouver where it should be in the 70ish range c) the cruise has 2 formal nights on the 7 day cruise (ugh) I usually like the whole formal night experience--but, not on this cruise d) we have booked a whale watch, an excursion to a glacier, and the ship visits Hubbard glacier [read cold weather gear needed] e) we have 5+ days of a land tour after the cruise and do not want to drag around a lot of luggage.

We are trying to get away with checking our large suitcase and each taking 1 roll aboard on the plane.

Wow! Always wanted to do an Alaska cruise. I watched a documentary twice about an Alaskan cruise package where you do a cruise and a train tour. Pretty nice. I would love to see any pictures you might take hopefully at some get together of the brigade:D.

cruzette
August 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM

You will love the Alaska cruise. We went late August/early September on the Royal Princess. We did not take any coats but ended up buying a weather-proof jacket good for the raining cool days plus the COLD early mornings we were in Glacier Bay. The one thing we know to take for future Alaska cruises are hats/gloves. Even though we had 70 and 80 degree afternoons, the early mornings were cold.

Our favorite excursion was in Ketchikan. We are huge Deadliest Catch fans, so we booked an excursion on the Aleutian Ballad. It was awesome. We even saw the Time Bandit anchored in the same harbor as the cruise ship. You can read about the Aleutian Ballad at '56degreesnorth dot com.' We actually got to watch as they pulled up traps with King Crabs and other exciting sea creatures.

Oh I am so jealous!! You will love it!!

dixieva
August 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Our Alaska cruise was one of our favorites-right up there with the Panama Canal Cruise. We did a helicopter tour at one of the port stops in Alaska and got to walk on a glacier! You have to wear these special boots so you wouldn't slip but didn't damage the ice either.

Do it if you have a chance.

Today is the kid's last day here at the beach. They have had a wonderful time. The dog went back to the beach yesterday and got sick again (worse this time) but we kept him outside for hours until he got it out of his system. I'm still working on the carpet stain but am thinking I will have to rent a carpet cleaner to get it clean.

Tomorrow Millie and J.P. are coming and bringing their dog-another lab.:eek::eek:

cruzette
August 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Our Alaska cruise was one of our favorites-right up there with the Panama Canal Cruise. We did a helicopter tour at one of the port stops in Alaska and got to walk on a glacier! You have to wear these special boots so you wouldn't slip but didn't damage the ice either.

Do it if you have a chance.

Today is the kid's last day here at the beach. They have had a wonderful time. The dog went back to the beach yesterday and got sick again (worse this time) but we kept him outside for hours until he got it out of his system. I'm still working on the carpet stain but am thinking I will have to rent a carpet cleaner to get it clean.

Tomorrow Millie and J.P. are coming and bringing their dog-another lab.:eek::eek:
Glad you are enjoying the beach!!! Beautiful weather today, for a change!

DragonOfTheSeas
August 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks--I will be glad to share my pictures at a future "beadie lunch." Gail's scrapbook inspired me to create one for this cruise. :)

We booked the Alaska cruise because we have NEVER met anyone who did not like it.

Dixie-- we agree that our Panama Canal cruise was the best we have taken so far.

CeeAngel
August 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Oh my, I had to laugh when I read this. My packing skills leave a lot to be desired....I would probably have to hire a professional packer for a trip to Alaska!

dixieva
August 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
We had a quiet night last night after the kids and dog went home. Carmen and I woke up at 1:30 a.m. and went out on the deck hoping to see some meteor showers but no luck.

Watching the sun rise over the ocean really makes me want to be on a ship!

It's another beautiful day at the beach!

Stella777
August 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM
We had a quiet night last night after the kids and dog went home. Carmen and I woke up at 1:30 a.m. and went out on the deck hoping to see some meteor showers but no luck.

I can remember being on one of my carnival cruises and getting up early enough to go and have breaksfast out on a little eating area at the back of the ship and watching the sun come up....priceless!

dixieva
August 13th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Yes Stella it is the most beautiful thing to see! It seems as if the sun is rising up from the ocean! Since I am a morning person I see lots of sun rises.

Grandma Gail
August 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Any time I am around water I am at peace. I am a Pisces. We had our DGS and DD living with us for 2 years and now we are enjoying the peace and quiet since their move to their own place.

Grandma Gail
August 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Looking to book a cruise for the fall of 2013. Anyone care to share what their plans are? Don't want to be away over Thanksgiving so that will make it hard.

cruzette
August 13th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Looking to book a cruise for the fall of 2013. Anyone care to share what their plans are? Don't want to be away over Thanksgiving so that will make it hard.
Well, so much for my suggestion :-)

dixieva
August 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Would love to plan a fall 2013 cruise but since we don't fly and can't drive too far because Kelly would have to take too much vacation for a long drive then a cruise --that limits our choices. Usually we do a short cruise out of Norfolk to the Bahamas since that is our only choice out of that port.

DELTABLUE
August 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Next fall I'll be on Grandeur 11-16-13. Come join me!;):D

Grandma Gail
August 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Next fall I'll be on Grandeur 11-16-13. Come join me!;):D
A possibility! Wonder . . . would Ken go on a cruise that doesn't include St. Thomas's Mahagony Bay Golf Club????

DELTABLUE
August 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Tell Ken it's time to go west for a change of scenery;).

dixieva
August 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Delta-the 16th of Nov. is too close to Thanksgiving for us (maybe even during Thanksgiving) but we like the Nov. 8th cruise on Grandeur. I think we'll look at booking this one while on board in April. It goes to Key West, Nassau, Port Canaveral and Coco Cay.

DELTABLUE
August 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
The ports don't make much difference to me but I do prefer doing 10 days on 11-16 rather than 8 on 11-8. Will be home for Thanksgiving and will do what needs to be done. I hear that Old Country Buffet does a nice job. ;):rolleyes::p

2crusin
August 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Couldn't sleep Sunday night, so I decided to check Carnival web site to see if any price drops ..OMG they were offering a past guest rate & a Sr rate... the past guest rate was the better deal so I sent off an e-mail followed up by a phone call first thing in the morning to my TA...before leaving for Pa. ... I upgraded from a window cabin on deck 1 to a extended balcony cabin on deck 8 & it only cost an extra $100.00 not a bad deal :D Told husband after everything was confirmed.. he is very happy :eek: - he loves a balcony esp., in the early mornings & late evenings....

dixieva
August 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Good deal Barb! Our Carnival cruise has only gone up since we booked it but we got a good deal on our room so it's ok.

Delta-the 10 day your doing in Nov. is the same ports we're doing in March of 2014 so we're looking at the 8 day on Nov. 8th. Would like to go back to Key West. And your cruise gets back 2 days before Thanksgiving - not enough time to get ready for the big eating Holiday:eek:. Wish we could go at that time.

Grandma Gail
August 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Have a great time. I don't think I will see Alaska for three reasons: 1) Don't fly, 2) Couldn't pack to satisfy the airline, and 3) Too cold and icy for me.

Grandma Gail
August 15th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Anyone else for the get together at Timbuktu 8/25 at 3:00pm?

So far we have:

Deltablue
Shirley
Deb & Chuck
Georgia & Diane
Ken & Gail

Cruznation
August 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Have a great time. I don't think I will see Alaska for three reasons: 1) Don't fly, 2) Couldn't pack to satisfy the airline, and 3) Too cold and icy for me.

Kathy and I plan to see Alaska but since we are retired and time is no longer money to us, we'd take the train to Seattle, we'll see a lot of the country on the way. TSA hasn't extended it's satanic reach to trains ... yet. And luggage is not a problem on trains.

Alaska isn't cold in the summer, but it's a destination where there isn't much of a shoulder season; summer is it.

I've read that the latest estimate on the inside passage is 2 years before the calving of the melting glaciers will make it too risky for cruise ships to navigate safely, so the clock is ticking on us. :eek:

Cruznation
August 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Anyone else for the get together at Timbuktu 8/25 at 3:00pm?

So far we have:

Deltablue
Shirley
Deb & Chuck
Georgia & Diane
Ken & Gail

Gail,
We'd be glad to help you and Ken celebrate! Count us in.

dixieva
August 15th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Gail I said the same thing about Alaska but I am so glad I took that cruise back when flying wasn't such a pain in the butt. It is not a cruise that I would do again but I'm telling you seeing those glaciers and watching the chunks fall off into the ocean as the ship went by was amazing. The colors are like nothing you have ever seen before and there is lots of wildlife to be seen too. I would recommend a balcony for the Alaska cruise if you decide to do it.

Another beautiful day at the beach today!

cruzette
August 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM
We went in late Aug...what a cruise!!! We absolutely loved it and would go again in a heartbeat!! We cruised Princess because they (and Holland America) have the authority to go deeper into the passages than other cruise lines. Might have to think about a redo after we do the Panama Canal.

cruzette
August 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Have a great lunch w/Grandma Gail and Delta...thanks Ladies! :D

DragonOfTheSeas
August 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all of the positive comments about Alaska. We know it will be an incredible experience. We have our fingers crossed that it does not rain everyday. (we expect rain on the cruise)

Once we head to Denali we would like a clear day to see the mountain. We have read that only 30% of visitors get to see the mountain.:mad:

DELTABLUE
August 15th, 2012, 05:10 PM
...or bread sticks as the case may be, with good friends!;):D

Georgia...so nice to see you up and around and doing so well with your recovery!

cruzette
August 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM
...or bread sticks as the case may be, with good friends!;):D

Georgia...so nice to see you up and around and doing so well with your recovery!
Thanks Delta...everyday is a new adventure!

Cruznation
August 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
We've been having lunch with folks we used to work with all this week at a number of interesting eateries in DC. Watermelon gazpacho seems to be "in" this summer. :D

Today we go to The Palm, a great place if you like big portions. It's a favorite of politicians and the Washington Redskins. For Restaurant Week they re-price their $22.95 everyday businessmen's lunch to the promotional $20.12. You get lobster bisque or 2 kinds of salad as a starter, chicken parmigiana, twin beef tenderloins, or a rotating third choice as entree. Choice of side dish, either a vegetable or their half&half (fried onion tangle and french fries) with a choice of cheesecake, key lime pie, or a rotating third choice as dessert.

We'll be in a food coma afterwards and will likely skip dinner. :D

Next week it's Restaurant Week in Alexandria! Tough time to diet...

dixieva
August 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
What a beautiful week we've had at the beach! Today is our last full day-will be cleaning house, washing bed sheets and towels and packing up in the morning. I sure have enjoyed being able to see the ocean each day:D!

Stella777
August 16th, 2012, 09:54 AM
What a beautiful week we've had at the beach! Today is our last full day-will be cleaning house, washing bed sheets and towels and packing up in the morning. I sure have enjoyed being able to see the ocean each day:D!

So glad that you had a wonderful week.I wish I could have been there with you. I just love being anywhere near water:).

Grandma Gail
August 16th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Gail,
We'd be glad to help you and Ken celebrate! Count us in.
GREAT! The more the merrier. Off to Sam's to do some shopping.

So far we have for the 8/25 3:00pm get together at Timbuktu:

Deltablue
Shirley
Deb & Chuck
Georgia & Diane
Ken & Gail
Kathy & Ed

cruzette
August 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM
We've been having lunch with folks we used to work with all this week at a number of interesting eateries in DC. Watermelon gazpacho seems to be "in" this summer. :D

Today we go to The Palm, a great place if you like big portions. It's a favorite of politicians and the Washington Redskins. For Restaurant Week they re-price their $22.95 everyday businessmen's lunch to the promotional $20.12. You get lobster bisque or 2 kinds of salad as a starter, chicken parmigiana, twin beef tenderloins, or a rotating third choice as entree. Choice of side dish, either a vegetable or their half&half (fried onion tangle and french fries) with a choice of cheesecake, key lime pie, or a rotating third choice as dessert.

We'll be in a food coma afterwards and will likely skip dinner. :D

Next week it's Restaurant Week in Alexandria! Tough time to diet...
Yes, the big lunches are great for helping to skip dinner...works for me!!! We had a huge lunch yesterday...great excuse for only having a small slice of chocolate cake before bedtime (gotta keep the blood sugar happy for the night!). Enjoy!!!