PDA

View Full Version : Carnival Sunshine

NYGirl1002
June 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I've been pricing Mediterranean cruises for next year and Carnival Sunshine is the ship that keeps coming up. I'm not familiar with it. I thought the new ship was the Breeze.

Does anyone know about the Sunshine?

firefly333
June 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
They renamed the Destiny, its a older ship

cruisercrazy69
June 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I've been pricing Mediterranean cruises for next year and Carnival Sunshine is the ship that keeps coming up. I'm not familiar with it. I thought the new ship was the Breeze.

Does anyone know about the Sunshine?
It's the Destiny after drydock
http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-destiny.aspx#deckplans

here is the after

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-sunshine.aspx#deckplans

notice on deck 3 and 5 they put in more cabins the dining room and buffet are the same size more crowded

welldone60
June 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Here is an story about the redo. http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/06/2678262/renovation-new-name-ahead-for.html

firefly333
June 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I think Destiny got such a bad name after all those mechanical problems they decided to disguise her.

chill6x6
June 12th, 2012, 10:04 PM
It's always kinda bothered be that they are adding passenger capacity to more that are on the Conquest(a larger ship), with less crew. SHOULD that bother me?

firefly333
June 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
It's always kinda bothered be that they are adding passenger capacity to more that are on the Conquest(a larger ship), with less crew. SHOULD that bother me?

Yep, because it only has half the buffet space of conquest.

We had some water pipes leadking in the buffet, and only half of that half open .. talk about crowded.

Conquest has two full buffet areas, not just one. It was a big improvement they made after destiny and triumph class to fix that buffet overcrowding issue.

I think its wierd to rename a ship Sunshine .. and then send it off to Europe where the sun doesnt shine as much.

Im not saying dont cruise on the ship, just plan on eating a off times if you can. It is a issue.

Ive done Triumph 4 or 5 times, and like the ship .. but know the buffet space is very limited.

Catrin
June 12th, 2012, 10:07 PM

I am not sure if Bother is the word that describes how I feel... but I am certainly concerned at this point. I can see how it would bother you, however.

It certainly will be interesting to read reviews about crowd control once the Sunshine is finished and people have sailed her.

Just from the deck layout pictures alone, public areas will be crowded, for sure.

Catrin

mountaincruiser20
June 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Just looked and it will have 38 more passengers than the Liberty with 120 fewer crew. Think I may pass on the Sunshine. I was looking at giving it a try but it looks like it maybe worse than the Magic was last year on a rainy sea day when everyone was inside.

chill6x6
June 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Just looked and it will have 38 more passengers than the Liberty with 120 fewer crew. Think I may pass on the Sunshine. I was looking at giving it a try but it looks like it maybe worse than the Magic was last year on a rainy sea day when everyone was inside.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. I hate it too as it's eventually coming to NO.:( Maybe it will turn out better than one might think! :rolleyes:

NYGirl1002
June 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Wow ..I'm so depressed now! I'm thinking I'm getting a new ship and the price was so good too..compared to the other cruise lines. Even the picture of the cabins looks like it's all new and stuff.

I may just book the one on the Legend around the same time.

Topo Gigio
June 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Wow ..I'm so depressed now! I'm thinking I'm getting a new ship and the price was so good too..compared to the other cruise lines. Even the picture of the cabins looks like it's all new and stuff.

After the refurb it will be like new.

Catrin
June 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM
After the refurb it will be like new.

Has anyone been to Disney, where they refurub a ride... re-paint it, change it's name and call it something completely different? But deep down inside you know its the old ride you went on for years?

I have a feeling this is what the refurb of the Destiny/Sunshine will be like. They cannot make it a completely different ship.

But I always found it was the PEOPLE on board, that made it a fun cruise!

Catrin

firefly333
June 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. I hate it too as it's eventually coming to NO.:( Maybe it will turn out better than one might think! :rolleyes:

I would not hesitate to book it if the price is right .. but I would not pay anywhere near Magic's price for instance.. but 1/3 off .. I would go for it.

Im not against the ship and since Im in TX good chance I will book her for the right price. There were some awesome prices on Triumph when it was out of NOLA too.

terryinal
June 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Well I booked it for the TA cruise. Really looking forward to it. I'm not concerned about the food lines. But I never thought about it either. Its still a good way off so I can pay 50 dollars a month and have it paid by then. I have two more I'm going on before that one. The price was right,but airfare getting there is going to hurt. But always wanted to do a TA.

Mikel1733
June 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Has anyone been to Disney, where they refurub a ride... re-paint it, change it's name and call it something completely different? But deep down inside you know its the old ride you went on for years?

I have a feeling this is what the refurb of the Destiny/Sunshine will be like. They cannot make it a completely different ship.

But I always found it was the PEOPLE on board, that made it a fun cruise!

Catrin

I'm sure the refurb will be very nice. I would want to wait and see how the new design with more passengers all works out.

waiting4acruise
June 12th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Yep, because it only has half the buffet space of conquest.

We had some water pipes leadking in the buffet, and only half of that half open .. talk about crowded.

Conquest has two full buffet areas, not just one. It was a big improvement they made after destiny and triumph class to fix that buffet overcrowding issue.

I think its wierd to rename a ship Sunshine .. and then send it off to Europe where the sun doesnt shine as much.

Im not saying dont cruise on the ship, just plan on eating a off times if you can. It is a issue.

Ive done Triumph 4 or 5 times, and like the ship .. but know the buffet space is very limited.
I looked at the deckplans of the Sunshine. I looks like ship will be too crowded with more passengers and less space. I think I will pass on sailing on the Sunshine.

Sargent_Schultz
June 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Looking forward to Sunshine in New Orleans.

There will be a number of new eateries on the ship.

The first 3 deck Serenity area with pool and waterfall. Just as good - all the kids stuff is at the end farthest from Serenity. :D

Lisah101
June 13th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I am booked on the inaugural cruise out of Venice so I'll have to be to do a review with lots of photos.

k2excursion
June 13th, 2012, 01:49 AM

If you really want a Mediterranean cruise, I recommend looking to another cruiselines. The extra money would be well worth it, as the experience would be worlds better, by comparison to Sunshine. If you're looking for a Carnival experience, the Legend would be the better choice. I'm sure the Sunshine will appeal to many people, but not to people who enjoy Carnival cruises, a lively atmosphere, and good entertainment on their cruise.

In addition to the added crowds, there are other issues of note. Half of one of the dining rooms is being eliminated, which will severely overcrowd what's left of the dining rooms, unless tons of people eat at the extra-pay places. The aft pool is being eliminated. The dance club is being eliminated. One entire floor of the theater is being eliminated. The aft lounge, where the comedy club & other things were held, is being eliminated. So the only entertainment venue is the much smaller theater, which would then be unbelievably packed. The larger theater and the aft lounge were always packed as it was. The comedy club would likely move into the small theater, which would eliminate the headline shows that used to be there (just a guess, but it's the only way that it can all work). That means no more singing & dancing shows, no fly-on entertainment. 4 nights of comedy, a welcome aboard show, a legends/guest talent show, and a dark night. That takes care of all 7 nights in the tiny theater. For people who never go to any shows, they won't care about this. And if overcrowding doesn't bother them, they may love the Sunshine. It's all about what you're looking for in a cruise. I will clearly pass on Sunshine.

Sargent_Schultz
June 13th, 2012, 02:55 AM
On Sunshine, the aft pool is being relocated to Serenity where it will truly be adults only.

The ship is still just on the drawing board and people keep referring to crowds that don't exist.

A steakhouse, Cucina de Capitano, an Asian restaurant and more will be added.

The comedy club has not been eliminated, it is just being moved and called the Limelight lounge.

They are supposed to be adding a Ropes course. Even a cigar bar.

It is an entirely new concept for Carnival and I'm kind of excited about it.

The only thing I will miss on it over Conquest is the Fish and Chips.

For more:

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/conversation-with-ruben-rodriguez-carnivals-evp-ship-ops-33993

https://www.goccl.com/resourcecenter/PDF/Sunshine.pdf

beerman2
June 13th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks Sargeant

Finally someone saying something positive about the Sunshine. We are actually sailing the Destiny in Oct and are planning on the Sunshine after its in N O.

Kinda get a b/4 and after look of it.

Funny how people are talking negative about it without having seen the final product.

Firmly believe there are people on here who continually stir the pot.

Lisah101
June 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM
On Sunshine, the aft pool is being relocated to Serenity where it will truly be adults only.

The ship is still just on the drawing board and people keep referring to crowds that don't exist.

The comedy club has not been eliminated, it is just being moved and called the Limelight lounge.

For more:

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/conversation-with-ruben-rodriguez-carnivals-evp-ship-ops-33993

Thank you so much for these links. I was a bit worried when I read the other post about things being eliminated, but your links show that is not true. Now I'm even more excited about my Sunshine cruise!

maggieworkman
June 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Does anyone have a link to the thread where someone put a deck by deck comparison of before and after?

Maggie

Boston6
June 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Not only will the passenger capacity of the Sunshine be > Liberty and the crew will be < Liberty but the Sunshine is a smaller ship than the Liberty

spencercoop
June 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM

For more:

Thanks for posting the interview. It was an interesting read!

Mulege
June 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Carnival is new to the Mediterranean. I would suggest you keep your eyes open for the other cruise lines that have been doing it for years thus more experience. Europe prices continue to be deeply discounted on all lines. There are 10-12 day cruises for less than $100 per day in balcony cabins this year. Don't book too early. I did the Med last November on Celebrity for $899 for 11 nights on a balcony. YOU WILL LOVE EUROPE!

H82seaUgo
June 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM

and new is what they want you to think it is.

they are killing the destiny due to its stigma all these years. and after sailing it, it is my least favorite and most crowded ship.

and to think they are cutting the public rooms, as well as adding more cabins sends shudders down my spine.

and it certainly makes no sense to increase the amount of towels sitting on chairs from 1 deck to 3.

i look forward to reading the reviews, and certainly won't be sailing it.

NYGirl1002
June 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you all for your input and opinions. When I get closer to booking I will do more in depth research.

The more I think about it, the Med cruises are very port intensive and the entertainment probably isn't going to mean much.

I think the price may be right and I still may do it.

wrigley80
June 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
We are booked on the Carnival Sunshine for December 13. We are excited to see the differences. I can't wait to see the 3 deck high Serenity area

NYGirl1002
June 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Does the Serenity area cost more? When I was on the Miracle we hung out at the Adult pool.

Pamulla
June 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I noticed that CCL is using older ships in Europe but also bringing back the Baltic route and another one in spring/fall. How does the Legend stack up to the other ships. I have only been on a few of the new ships and I never cruise the Caribbean so I haven't seen the older ones.

H82seaUgo
June 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I noticed that CCL is using older ships in Europe but also bringing back the Baltic route and another one in spring/fall. How does the Legend stack up to the other ships. I have only been on a few of the new ships and I never cruise the Caribbean so I haven't seen the older ones.

the legend is a spirit class vessel, a favorite among many.

great layout, and more space per passenger.

cruisercrazy69
June 13th, 2012, 01:36 PM
and new is what they want you to think it is.

they are killing the destiny due to its stigma all these years. and after sailing it, it is my least favorite and most crowded ship.

and to think they are cutting the public rooms, as well as adding more cabins sends shudders down my spine.

and it certainly makes no sense to increase the amount of towels sitting on chairs from 1 deck to 3.

i look forward to reading the reviews, and certainly won't be sailing it.
This sounds like riding the Staten Island ferry during rush hour for an entire cruise LOL

lizziez00
June 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I am booked on the inaugural cruise out of Venice so I'll have to be to do a review with lots of photos.
Please do as I am booked 1/5/14 on the Sunshine!!!

Lisah101
June 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I was on the Carnival Magic for a Mediterranean cruise and loved it. You are correct that the European cruises are very port intensive. There seemed to be a more diverse crowd on the european cruise vs. the Caribbean cruises I've taken. I loved chatting with people from all over the world, most spoke english, there were a few who didn't. I'm not worried about the deck chairs as I cruise in Europe for the ports, not the pool.

I saved the PDFs of both the Destiny and Sunshine so hopefully in the next day or so I can look at them side by side. I'm a project manager by profession and sometimes just can't turn that off, even when planning vacations, it all has to be organized, analyzed and complete risk assessment/mitigation plans completed!

cruisercrazy69
June 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I just went over my history 17 cruises on the victory triumph & destiny combined

destiny 2642 passengers sunshine 3006 triumph & victory 2758

They are adding 364 passengers and reducing an already crowded Dining areas and theater

Shipbound
June 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I just went over my history 17 cruises on the victory triumph & destiny combined

destiny 2642 passengers sunshine 3006 triumph & victory 2758

They are adding 364 passengers and reducing an already crowded Dining areas and theater

I dont think the dining areas will be a problem but staff cutting may a problem depending where the cuts are. I would be more concerned about the elimination of the live bands and maybe replacing them with DJ's , I do not believe this does have anything to do with music being to load but CCL justs wants to save $$. So I will not be sailing on the Sunshine until maybe 2014 so I guess I'll have to wait until then to find out what the changes are concerning the live bands.

Gary

k2excursion
June 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Oh, boy, this happens all the time on cc. I never said that the comedy club was being eliminated. In fact, I knew it wouldn't. I just didn't know where it would be. Now that I know (Limelight Lounge-deck 4), we can see what the Sunshine is eliminating. The cigar room is one. Ok, sure, many of us won't care that they're getting rid of that, but some might care. And those people deserve to know before they book the ship. The "Downbeat", where a live band would play, is being eliminated. The dance club is definitely gone, which seems crazy to me. And while the serenity area will have an adults only pool, the elimination of the aft pool has reduced the number of pools. The Destiny has 3 for adults and 2 for anyone. The Sunshine has 2 for adults and 1 for anyone. Plus, there is the crowding issue that has been discussed--more people, no increase in staff, smaller theater, smaller dining room, less public space. Sure, nobody has sailed the Sunshine yet, so "how do you know it's going to be crowded". How can it not be?

It would be wrong of us to report that this ship is keeping everything it used to have, and adding other things. While some things are being added, which some people are happy about, other things are being eliminated, which some people won't care are gone. But for those that aren't happy about the eliminations and additions, they deserve to know, so that they can instead spend their hard earned money on a ship that will have what they truly want. There are additions, which we've all heard about like crazy, but little is said about the reductions. People deserve to know.

Sargent_Schultz
June 14th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Sunshine will have a real cigar bar, not one in name only. And a Latin Band area. And much more.

Historically Carnival puts the newest ships in Europe - Breeze this year, Magic last year, Dream before that, etc. etc. The Freedom inaugural season was in Europe.

Some think they are reducing without adding, which is silly. There are a number of new eateries.

The Med is very port intensive and you won't care about entertainment venues or much else. You have long tours port after port, day after day and start looking forward to a day off.

I seem to have picked up a title of Carnival cheerleader, but can assure you that some referring to me as that are Carnival jeerleaders.

I've been on 4 Med cruises with Carnival and a Baltics Carnival cruise and wouldn't hesitate to go back with Carnival. In fact, next year we will be. :D

maggieworkman
June 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Here is a link to the thread with the side by side comparison of the deck plans:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1588197&highlight=sunshine+deck+plans

Maggie

Topo Gigio
June 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Sunshine will have a real cigar bar, not one in name only. And a Latin Band area. And much more.

Historically Carnival puts the newest ships in Europe - Breeze this year, Magic last year, Dream before that, etc. etc. The Freedom inaugural season was in Europe.

Some think they are reducing without adding, which is silly. There are a number of new eateries.

The Med is very port intensive and you won't care about entertainment venues or much else. You have long tours port after port, day after day and start looking forward to a day off.

I seem to have picked up a title of Carnival cheerleader, but can assure you that some referring to me as that are Carnival jeerleaders.

I've been on 4 Med cruises with Carnival and a Baltics Carnival cruise and wouldn't hesitate to go back with Carnival. In fact, next year we will be. :D

But in the end she will be home ported in New Orleans with at least 3 sea days during a normal 7 days Western Caribbean cruise..

islandqween
January 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Thank you all for your input and opinions. When I get closer to booking I will do more in depth research.

The more I think about it, the Med cruises are very port intensive and the entertainment probably isn't going to mean much.

I think the price may be right and I still may do it.

Did you decide on the Sunshine?

Sargent_Schultz
January 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM
But in the end she will be home ported in New Orleans with at least 3 sea days during a normal 7 days Western Caribbean cruise..

Probably a max of 3 sea days under normal circumstances. Can't wait for that, either!