PDA

View Full Version : 40 lbs by Sept 2005

Pages : [1] 2

npmadsen
April 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone want to join me?
I am cruising Sept 10th and would like to be about 40lbs thinner by then.
Eileen

Brianga
April 25th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I'm in.We cruise Sept.18 in Alaska.Was thinking of Atkins or low carb.Also might join Gym.All i know is none of my good clothes fit from last cruise 2 years ago.My wife looks great but i'm packing an extra 40 to 50 LBS.

adoptmom
April 26th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Hey everyone! I don't get to cruise this year since we're adopting a new baby but Sept. 10 is my Birthday so I'm in! 40 pounds would put me almost to my goal. I'm doing Southbeach for the most part and have already lost 30 pounds. Tried low fat/high carb for years and put on weight every time, but I know everyone's body works differently.

Tami

heathernijoli
April 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I am in! We cruise Spet. 24th. I just joined a gym and got a trainer for four sessions!!

heathernijoli
April 27th, 2005, 08:33 AM
oh - and my trainer says to eat as much protein in the day as the weight you WANT to be.

For instance: If you want to be 140 - eat 140 grams of protein...

Less carbs and more protein and working out should make you lose weight. She has lost a ton and is down from 270 to whatever her weight is now but she looks fantastic!

Nliedel
April 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
40 off is my goal too. I have baby weight ugh. Working out 7 days a week. Run/walking 7 days and lifting 4.

adoptmom
April 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Wow, that's alot of protein. The low carb books I use say to divide that number by half as your minimum. Good to know that they're still talking lower carb in the fitness world. It's certainly helped me to feel better and lose 30 pounds.

Tami

txcdn1
April 27th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Okay I'm in too! I cruise September 25th and want to lose at least 40lbs. How and what do we do?? I've already lost 11 in the last three weeks. Trying to combine weight watchers and being sensible. ie.. smaller portions, stopping eating three hours before bed time and the biggie.....NO SODA!! I work a full time and part time job so I try to squeeze in 3 days at the gym but I'm not always successful. Happy cruising, Jill

adoptmom
April 27th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Jill- you should grab a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps a day if you can't make it to the gym. I bought a cheapie at Walmart for $4 and used it while I was caring for my Grandma the first 4 months of this year. Some days I got closer to 15-16,000 and some days I was walking laps around my house to get the 10K but I'm convinced it's why I was able to deal with all that stress, not eat the best and still maintain and then eventually lose 4 pounds.

With two jobs you'll probably be surprised at how quickly you rack up steps. Supposedly, BTW, 10,000 is the same as 30 minutes of cardio.

Tami

cruisequeen8661
April 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Ok I'm in too. Goals are to lose 55 lbs total. So far I'm down 15 in about 4 weeks ( ALOT of that was waterweight) .

I'm doing the 3 hour diet. You only eat 1450 calories a day to start with but you eat every 3 hours. You can eat anything but they suggest you stick with lean protein, lots and lots of veggies, and whole grain foods.

I eat my last meal usually about 7:30 and about 9:00 or so I can treat myself to a piece of dark chocolate.

I'm also going to the gym more-- at least 3 times week and trying to make that 4-5X.

Good luck to all of us!!!

npmadsen
April 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Great seems like we have a good group here.
I am doing Richard Simmons and exercising.
I have dropped 8 lbs in a week and a half. I know a lot of water but still makes me feel better when I look at the scale.
I think any diet works as long as you commit to it and exercise.
Eileen

txcdn1
April 30th, 2005, 10:36 PM
this is my fourth week and I am feeling very weak!! I am also pmsing really bad. I don't know if I want to scream, yell, cry or eat. I want potato chips!!!!! Thanks for listening, if I type I can't eat. Jill:(

txcdn1
April 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM
:( Okay I know I'm rambling...has anyone found any good, salty, low fat, great tasting, crunchy chip substitue?? I REALLY want chips. Not just one or two either! Jill:o

adoptmom
May 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM
Jill- How brave are you? I don't eat potatoes but when I get a real craving for crackers or chips (usually it's really for the dip) I make turnip chips. I slice them very thinly, spritz with cooking spray and sprinkle them with kosher salt (I like the big piece of salt.) The I put them in the oven at about 175 or 200 and let them dry. they really taste kind of salty sweet.

Another thing I like are Terra chips, especially the mediterranean flavor. They still have some fat but are lower in calories and especially carbs than pringles.

Hang in there. Another couple of days and you'll be back to normal.

Tami

txcdn1
May 1st, 2005, 11:14 PM
:) Tami thanks for the advice. I don't think I've ever seen terra chips around here. Come to think of it I don't know if I've ever seen turnip here either. I live pretty close to the Mexican border so there isn't much cold root foods. I actually feel much better today already. Put on some shorts and helped DH uproot a LARGE cactus we had growing in the back yard. It actually filled the back of our pickup when we were done. Now all I have to do is pull all those tiny stickers out of my fingers. LOL.

Jill

MessyJessy
May 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
We cruise September 3rd and I would like to lose 30 pounds before then. I have started doing Tae-boe, eating healthy and in moderation, and taking the stairs all the time (I work on the 4th floor in our building). I wore a pedometer for a while and made it to 6,000 steps; I think I will aim for 10,000 a day.

Skibunny
May 2nd, 2005, 03:49 PM
Frito Lay has done a great job with coming up with their LIGHT potato chip line. They have flavored or plain Lays/Ruffles, or plain Tostitos, or Doritos style, and you can't tell that they are diet chips!

I have been eating better for a year now also eating small portions every three hours, and now I am also doing more cardio. Commitment is the hardest. We women want to just sit around and melt the pounds off that way. If I want to loose weight faster, I keep the three hour diet going, and wake up in the middle of the night to eat again..

adoptmom
May 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Jill- in the scheme of things in Texas, you don't live too far from my brother. He's stationed at Ft. Hood for the moment. I'm sure he'll be back to someplace lovely like Iraq or Afghanistan in a few months.

Messy Jessy- You'll be amazed at how much keeping track of your steps really helps. I'm convinced it's why I didn't gain weight while my Grandma was in the hospital this winter. Some days I was getting 15-16,000. :eek:

Ski bunny- BEWARE of the chips made with Olestra. They can cause severe gastrointestinal upset in up to 30% of the people who eat them.

I had a rough eating weekend but I've committed to working out every day in May. I have a goal of 5 pounds for the month. That would put me to 203.

Tami

Sharkfin
May 3rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
I'm in!!! we go to Alaska September 17th.. I started Weight Watchers 4 weeks ago.. Have lost 9 lbs.. tooo slow.. need to loose 20 more.. going slowwww... I have found a new food.. Called "Smart Ones", the Spagetti is soooo good!! Its pretty good size, somewhat filling.. I too wish I could find a low fat crunchy chip..

txcdn1
May 3rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Well I weighed yesterday...down anoter three pounds, Yeah! Shouldn't we have a regular weigh in day too?? Jill

adoptmom
May 3rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Oh! Jill I just thought of something. You may not be able to find turnips in south Texas but what about Jicama? I'm betting you could do the same thing with jicama slices. It's great with chili powder on it anyway. We make a salad all the time with jicama, cucumber, mango, lime juice and chili powder. I stole the recipe from Rick Bayless! :D

Tami

txcdn1
May 5th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Tami, what is Jicama? I am originally from Ireland and don't like (can't tolerate) spicy foods. That includes chili powder. What does it taste like? Is it like a vegetable or a fruit? Jill:confused:

cruisequeen8661
May 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Weighed in on Tuesday evening. Down 4 lbs from previous week!!! :):) Overall down 18 pounds in about 4 weeks.

Finally beginning to notice some difference in the way clothes fit. Hurray!!!!!!!!!

Diet really seems to work. Anybody try any low cal stuff that's really really good?????

For any chocoholics out there I have found that dark chocolate really satisfies the crave. I can have one piece of dark chocolate and be happy. No need to scarf down half a bag.

Good luck and I wish all of us continued success!!!

adoptmom
May 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Jill- jicama is a root ball kind of like a turnip but bigger and with brown skin. IT actually tastes like a cross between apple and raw potato. Very mild. You could easily make the salad without chili powder. I think it's considered a vegetable. We have them all over the grocery stores around here. I can't keep them around here because the kids inhale them.

I'm not exactly sure where I picked up my fondness for spicy foods. I'm English, Irish and German and really I'm the only one in my family who can eat spicy foods on a regular basis. I've always liked mexican and italian food but taught myself to eat indian food over the past few years. I have a daughter who was born in India. I didn't like it at first because there were too many spices but now I crave it. Beats the time when I used to crave things like chocolate or colcannon with lots of butter on top! :rolleyes:

Tami

snowcamper
May 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Can I join too? Hi Tami! Still waiting for baby? Must be hard!
I am cruising Nov. 10 and want to lose at least 40, prefer 50. I've been going to Curves 2 - 3 times a week for about a month, and am about to start their weight loss plan tomorrow. 6 meals a day, low carb, high protein. Went grocery shopping, and I'm ready to go!

Kathy

bzeus
May 6th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Count me in too! I'm not cruising until January but do have a trip to Vegas in October and would love to lose 40 for then. I've started walking and trying to cut down on refined foods and load up on fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. One of my girlfriends lost 45 on South Beach and she looks fabulous.

adoptmom
May 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Kathy! We're still waiting on the call. It's getting harder to be patient but they said maybe 6 months. Since we requested a boy it may take a bit longer, although when we brought our other kids home they had more baby boys than they had homes for. Hopefully he'll come soon.

Well, I'm off to go finish Mother's day shopping. I make shirts every year with the kids' handprints and I want to find a pair of pants for my mom to go with it. I had to wait to see what colors the kids picked out for paint so the pants didn't clash.

Tami

snowcamper
May 7th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Happy Mother's Day to us all! :)

no offense to the guys out there! :o

2 days into new eating plan and I'm doing great! I like this eating every 3 hours, solves my compulsive snacking issues.

cruisinfriends
May 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hi,

Can I get in on this too? We cruise July 31 and I would love to be able to fit back into my cruise clothes from 2 years ago!!! I have been watching what I am eating for the past 2 weeks cutting out the breads and sugars. I've lost 5lbs so far and needing to loose about 30, not sure if that is reasonable but going to go for it anyway. 2 years ago I lost it when ephedra wasn't banned, it really worked for me, I tried again this time but ended up in the ER with chest pain and numbness down my left arm. Needless to say not going to do that anymore, my doctor really told me I was playing russian roulette. I get really discouraged when I don't see any progress and I really am controlling what I eat. I think this is the best board ever, everyone is so helpful and encouraging.

Thanks

heathernijoli
May 8th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I need to be trying harder.

There.

I said it.

adoptmom
May 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I need to be trying harder.

There.

I said it.

You and me both! I need to put myself back on project status to quote Dr. Phil!

Tami

Super89
May 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Hey is it too late for me to get in? I am going on my first cruise in August on Carnival Miracle. I would love to loose 20 by then. I have been going down for the past year but very Sloooowwwwly. Guess maybe that way it will stay off. We are going on the cruise to celebrate my 50th :( birthday and our 20th anniversary and it sure doesn't get any easier to loose the weight! I got a jump start by doing the South Beach diet for a week but I got so weak after that that I went to the second phase and then just started to try to watch what I was eating and my portions and exercising. I haven't gained back the 9 pounds I lost with South Beach but haven't gone down much more. This seems like a supportive group so maybe you can help? By the way, Tami, I am also an adoptive Mom and I know this is a stressful time waiting for that little one to arrive! Best wishes! Susan

smfly
May 8th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'm leaving on 9/10 also and would like to lose 40lbs. We'll be celebrating out 20th anniversary and my husband's 40th birthday. I've been working out at the 'Y' for about a month but, it's not working fast enough. I've heard 80% is the food your eating. I've tried all the diets and they all work for a while. Any suggestions?

Totally Addicted
May 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Hi!
I want to lose 40 lbs. before we go on the next cruise but it is only 20 weeks away -- maybe that's a little more than I will lose.

I lost 50 on Weight Watchers about 3 years ago and then stopped and gained 40 back. Just couldn't get back on the program. Then Weight Watchers came out with a new program I really like it. Lost 10 lbs before the last cruise and then gained 7 1/2 on the cruise. Now I've lost 5 1/2 of that. So I think this program is going to work. I think it is the best program I've ever gone on. Much healthier than the other diets I've been on. Have lost thousands of pounds in my life!! :D I don't know how fast the weight will come off but as long as it's coming off -- that's the goal!!!

Glad to have found this thread!!
Barbara :D

adoptmom
May 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Susan- It has been stressful. All our other adoptions moved pretty quickly. Even our daughter from India was referred in about 3 weeks. The program we're using is moving slower these days. That's good because it means that more people are accepting of adopting minority kids, especially boys. They're saying 6 months and we're already at 2. Right now I'm moving my Grandma into a health care center and my DH is having foot surgery so at least I have other things to occupy my mind. :rolleyes:

smfly- I think that the diet that works best is the one you can live with long term. Everyone's body is different. I've had great success with keeping low carb. For me losing weight is a side bonus but I mainly do it because I have crohns and there's some pretty compelling evidence that a diet high in carbs and especially wheat can irritate crohn's. I lost 30 pounds pretty quickly and I feel so much better. Others get on low carb and get really cranky and have other problems.

I know people swear by weight watchers but I was constantly miserable from all the whole grains, raw fruits and veggies. I actually have a friend who follows the "Raw" diet and insisted that I would be cured of crohn's if only I'd eat raw fruits, veggies, and nuts. Does dead count as cured because I can see that leading to the intestinal blockage that would end it all. :rolleyes: But it works for her and she can live with it.

Now I've plateaued and need to change things up. Actually I did quite some time ago and I'd just started a pretty aggressive exercise plan when my GM broke her hip and I kind of put it on the back burner. I kept my pedometer on and made sure I got at least 10,000 steps which I'm sure is why I maintained over the past 5 months. However, I know that now that things are fairly stable with her I need to get back to doing something other than cardio.

I just last Wed had a discussion about this with the nurse practicioner at my allergist's office. She lost 51 pounds just by changing her workouts. She does a weight training program every other day and light cardio. She said she she couldn't lose the weight doing cardio only. I can relate to that because I used to run half marathons and couldn't manage to lose weight! Go figure!

Anyway, if you're not doing much weight training at the Y try changing that up. If it's like ours you can get a free session where a trainer will walk you through a routine and write it all down. Even if there's a fee it would probably be worth learning how to do it properly. Also, if you ask for a free weight workout you could do it at home too. You should be able to see measurement results in 3 weeks.

Tami

Totally Addicted
May 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Tami,
My daughter's name is Tami (spelled the same). My husband has Crohns. You are right about the grains and Crohns!! Grains are not good for him either! He had surgery 10 years ago and the Dr. said he would have many more but he found a book, "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" and went on that program in the book and has had wonderful success. Doesn't have to take any drugs and has had no more episodes of problems!!

You guys are right about everyone is different. I think we just have to find what we can live with and not feel like we are depriving ourselves. It's nice to have a program that you like so that when you cruise you can gain all you want and know you can take it off again!! :D
Barbara

RBLWMN
May 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
My husband says this is too unrealistic. What do you think? I have already dropped 17 (April 18th was my start day).

I have been excercising, walking on the treadmill, drinking LOTS & LOTS of water, eating very carefully.

I really really want to have a new figure by cruise time.

Super89
May 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well, it sounds like a lot of weight but you are doing great so far! I say go for it, you will be happy with what you loose anyway. I am getting ready to go grocery shopping so I figured I would read these posts to get me motivated. I am kind of floundering about which diet to use as a guideline. I have been to weight watchers so many times I have lost count. Twice I have gotten within a few pounds of my goal, decided I was perfectly happy and stopped, thus not becoming a lifetime member. What is different about the new program? I do think it is a healthy diet but I just hate measuring and writing everything down.
Tami, I have two neices adopted from India and mine are from Brazil and Korea. Just keep in mind it is sure worth the wait when you see that little face for the first time!
Ok off to make my new healthy grocery list!
Susan

Totally Addicted
May 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Hi!
I joined Weight Watchers online, it is much cheaper, less time consuming and I don't really feel like I'm dieting. On the new Core program you don't have to count points. Most all of your foods are free then you get 35 points a week for "extras". I really love it. Find I am eating healthier than I did with the "points". (I use to save as many points as I could to have sweets.)

Weight Watcher says that up to 2 lb. weight loss per week is healthy. I've found the best thing is to know myself and find out what works for me.

Is there going to be a day that we check in to report weight loss?

RBLWMN
May 9th, 2005, 05:59 PM
OK I want to lose another 27 pounds in 80 days! Actually it would help if I could loose the weight before I buy new cruise clothes! ha

So salty treats........Yesterday I bought a bag of Quakers. You know the little mini rice cakes? I know sounds bad doesn't it? But, really they aren't bad. I bought the Ranch flavor & it helped my snack attack this afternoon. You get to eat about 10 for less than 100 calories.

GOOD LUCK, EVERYBODY!

txcdn1
May 9th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone...I weighed in again today and am down another 2lb...16 total YEAH!! I also remembered another treat I liked from the last time I was "dieting". They are the 100 cal snacks, from nabisco I think. The bits and bite snack crackers are just the thing. Plus, with them being individually packaged you can't "accidently" eat to many lol. Is everyone okay with weighing on Mondays?? Tami I will have to look for the jamica. You mentioned colcannon, I never actually had that but one of our favorites was "champ". It was potatoes mixed with LOTS of butter, milk and green onions. Very tasty!. Keep up the good work everyone, remember water, water and then some more water.

Happy cruising, Jill:)

adoptmom
May 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Barbara- I've been very lucky with my crohn's. I had surgery in 1986 and an ileostomy and have not had issues since then. I don't even take medication. I still can't believe it since I spent 17 of the last 19 years eating a mostly grain and sugar based low fat/low protein diet. (I gained 60 pounds doing so too!) I feel so much better now. I have a friend who has fought her crohn's for 10 years and just had surgery last year. Unfortunately her doctors tried to "save" her from having the surgery with all kinds of meds and now she needs a liver transplant from all the toxicity that built up. :( Surgery is not evil people! :rolleyes:

Susan -I know it will be worth it. I just hate the waiting around part. I can be very type A at times and having to work on someone else's timeline makes me nuts!

Tami

txcdn1
May 10th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Eileen?

You started our thread. Are you still out there? Jill:) :confused:

txcdn1
May 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Tami:

I have a friend I met in nursing school who has had severe chron's for years. She only has a small portion of her intestine left and has a colostomy and been on TPN for years. She was truly an inspiration to all of us going through school. She would be in hospital all week, sign herself out for clinicals on the weekend, then check back in as a pt. (we went to school part time while most of us worked full time during the week.) She also let us practice injections, dressings etc on her. She now works full time as an enterostomal nurse and is one, imho, of the best around. During school she also had to withdraw from the opium she was on for years as she couldn't take nursing while on it. Just thought I would brag about her a little. I definitely agree with you surgery is not always evil.

Jill

RBLWMN
May 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Boy, do I know what y'all mean about the meds. My dd, Niki has epilepsy. She has been on 10 different meds for the past 8 years. She has put on so much weight. She is only 10 so I don't stress her about it. We just try to talk about healthy choices. I try to remember my example will be the most effective for her in the future.

She had brain surgery in October to remove 2 regions of her brain that were causing her most severe seizures & boy did I put on the weight! I ate & ate & ate! So here I sit with a daughter that is doing FABULOUS, (many thanks to our Lord) carrying an extra 60 pounds around!

So I weigh every morning as soon as I get up & I was down another pound. That makes a total of 18.

Don't you love those 100 calorie snack packs? I almost forgot about them. My EXTREMLY thin 18 yr old son eats them up as soon as I buy them. He says the crackers are better in them than the regular mixes! lol

Good luck to all!

adoptmom
May 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Tami:

I have a friend I met in nursing school who has had severe chron's for years. She only has a small portion of her intestine left and has a colostomy and been on TPN for years. She was truly an inspiration to all of us going through school. She would be in hospital all week, sign herself out for clinicals on the weekend, then check back in as a pt. (we went to school part time while most of us worked full time during the week.) She also let us practice injections, dressings etc on her. She now works full time as an enterostomal nurse and is one, imho, of the best around. During school she also had to withdraw from the opium she was on for years as she couldn't take nursing while on it. Just thought I would brag about her a little. I definitely agree with you surgery is not always evil.

Jill

Jill- definitely the best enterostomal nurses are the ones who have one. I've never met a cranky EO nurse but there's something about knowing that they've been where you are. Really, I think anyone who has been through it should be a walking posterboard for surviving and thriving. I seem to find myself surrounded by either people who have crohns, people who are interested in adoption or people who are interested in homeschooling. Must be my Karma since I'm such a chatty person. :rolleyes:

Your description of "champ" sounds like it would be really REALLY bad for my weightloss goals. Colcannon is potatos, cabbage and bacon which is also bad. Oh yeah, and don't forget the stick of butter and the cream! I'm trying to figure out how to make it with mashed cauliflower instead. It's just not quite the same because the cauliflower overpowers the cabbage. I love cabbage though. I just planted a bunch in the garden. Can't wait for it to start getting heads.

Tami

snowcamper
May 10th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Is everyone okay with weighing on Mondays??

Happy cruising, Jill:)

I'd like to throw in a preference for Friday weigh-ins. I think if I have done well all week, I will be more motivated to stay good for the weekend, which are always harder for me. Actually, knowing me, I'll probably do both! Okay, so I'm a little obsessive :o Of course, I will go with whatever the group wants.

RBLWMN
May 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I tend to have a really hard time on the weekends.

But, on the other hand if I know I have to weigh in on Monday's then I might do better :)

Jill

RBLWMN
May 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I know I posted about this before, but I thought I would let y'all know I seem to lose about 1 pound a day when I take the Relacore. The days I skip I either stay steady or I bounce up & down by 2 pounds.

I have been trying to "save" them on the weekends. But, this week it really seems to be helping.

Is anyone trying any "diet" pills? I am very curious as to what is working for y'all.

snowcamper
May 11th, 2005, 11:41 PM
No diet pills for me. Many have caffiene, which I just can't do, I get to shaky. I have been loosely following Curves diet plan for the past week, basically low carb, high protein, but has some fruit. Supposed to eat 6 times a day which is working well for me so far. After 3 hours, I want to eat anyway, and this way I pick something healthy, and am satisfied and don't feel deprived. I have lost 4 1/2 pounds this week, finally down to where I was before I went on my February cruise and gained 10 pounds. I've had to eat out several times this week, and have usually gotten a Chef's salad and been very happy with it. Got a chicken sandwich at Wendy's one night and ate the meat right out of the bun!

KYWOMANCRUISIN
May 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I have been trying the 3 hour diet. I am having trouble eating that often...but I plan on trying harder. I think the pedometer is a good idea and I think I will start that. I have a hard time losing weight due to having my thyroid nuked due to Graves Disease. I have to take a synthetic thyroid hormone to compensate for no thyroid. I think this makes it hard to lose weight. Any opinions on this........

IndianaCruisers
May 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Any chance a guy can join this group? Not cruising in the foreseeable future but we plan to again sometime in the next three years. So wwhy not start early losoing the weight, gives me more time for extra failures.:mad: 40 pounds by September/October is just a start to what I really want to lose. Weigh in around 300 big ones, would love to level off at around 210 small ones.

We cruised in November of 05
decided to be frequent cruisers no matter
how infrequently we get to go!

smfly
May 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I have tried the low carb thing and usually lose 5-7 lb in 3 days but, boy do I get cranky, and I give up and over do it.

I am actually doing the program at the Y and I feel stronger but, not toner. My trainer is having me do few reps to build strength and I'm not sure when to switch over to more reps. My husband tells me the weights will only make the muscle push the fat out and make me bigger.

txcdn1
May 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Indiana Cruiser guys are more than welcome!

Smfly, don't listen to your husband. You definitely need to gain more muscle as this helps increase your metabolism! I don't think low carb is a very good option either as most people eventually return to eating them again. Think new way of eating, not dieting. It MUST be lifetime change or you will yo-yo. (I really wish I could pay attention to all the advice I give, lol.)

Any how we rented movies so must go before MY husband comes in and see's me chatting again.

Jill:)

bzeus
May 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Well, only down 1 lb this week but at least its something. I really thought I'd go down more. I've been walking and doing tons of gardening. My property is loaded with clay so its quite a workout digging up new gardens! :) Yeah! A workout I actually enjoy!

Oh well, maybe I'm gaining muscle and the weight will drop later. I hope so! At this rate I definately won't be reaching the goal of 40 for September! :eek:

adoptmom
May 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Kywoman- I think that exercise, especially some strength training would work for you. It can give your metabolism a boost even with no thyroid.

Indiana- Welcome Hoosier! I'm from Indiana too.

Tami - Down 5.5 this week! :eek:

Totally Addicted
May 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Hi!
I'm originally from Indiana also. Been in Florida for almost 25 yrs. Where in Indiana?
I'm down 2 1/2 lbs. this week! Ate all I wanted too!! No suffering here!
I love that Core program of Weight Watchers!!
Barbara

snowcamper
May 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Down 4 1/2 pounds this week - very happy. didn't have time to get to Curves, I have a campground and today is opening day, so I've been busy getting ready. My goal now is to see how long I can go without eating any of the junk food I sell in my store. I am surrounded by candy and ice cream! Haven't touched any yet, I will try to stick to that. Nibbling on anything in reach is my biggest downfall. That's why this eating 6 times a day sounds good to me. I just have to run into the house and grab something appropriate, not a candy bar! So far, so good.....

Kathy

Super89
May 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Where is your campground in NH? We camp every year in Center Ossipee and have gone a lot of other places in NH. Being from MA, NH is our favorite place to go in the summer. I would be in big trouble with all those goodies. I am having a REALLY hard time with chocolate this week. I came home today and ate a bunch of chocolate chip cookies. I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone got any suggestions? I need to get a copy of that new Weight watchers diet I think, but at this point, I can't spend one extra penny since my DH is working mad overtime to help pay for this cruise!

txcdn1
May 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Okay I weighed today too but didn't go down any. Didn't gain any either but then again I just weighed monday. I'm also lifting more weights, doing more exercise etc and my clothes do feel better so maybe it's muscle weight??? Right???

Congratulations and waay to go to all those who lost!

Jill:( :)

Totally Addicted
May 14th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Super 89,
I have found that when I am addicted to the "bad" for me foods, I am not in control at all! Those foods are!! I can not get a handle on it!! The new Core Weight Watcher program does away with the food addictions and then once again I am in control! I really love it. My average weight loss is 2 lbs. a week, within the healthy range and I am not suffering at all. I eat all I want of all the "free" foods, then you get 35 points a week of "other" foods. I do not feel like I am dieting and I guess in reality I'm not, because I'm not cutting back, just making different choices of what I am eating.

Here is basically the program:
All you want to eat: lean meats, poultry, fish, beef, etc. (ground beef must be only 7% fat); eggs; vegetables, all (even corn or corn on the cob, beans), (pototoes only once a day); fruits, all (if canned, only in it's own juice); oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, corn meal; whole grain cold cereal (like Shredded Wheat, etc.) only once a day; fat free milk, yogurt, hard cheese, Kraft slices (only the fat free Swiss cheese ones). Diet sodas, Splenda, etc. Oh, and microwave popcorn (the lower fat ones). I can't think of what else.

I use the 35 points for things like bread, candy, dessert or maybe sometimes french fries. I don't know if you have ever joined Weight Watchers and have the points of food. Some of my favorites are Pepperidge Farms Seven Grain dinner rolls (1 point), Tootsie Roll pop (1 point), Life Saver Creme Hard Candies (3 for 1 point), they have chocolate flavor!

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer. I joined online where they have the program, wonderful recipes, all the points of foods, a weight tracker, etc.

casmichele
May 14th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I'm in. We cruise on Sept. 11, 2005 and I would feel so much better if I lost at least 40 pounds. (I'm 5' 2 and weigh 204) The problem is that I have no willpower so I hope this helps me. :o

txcdn1
May 14th, 2005, 12:15 PM
welcome casmichelle!

I've got a busy day today. Finally convinced my 17yr old, packrat, daughter to get rid of her old clothes and junk in her room. We can no see in her closet and she has empty drawers! Now we are going shopping for some new clothes!

I challenge everyone to drink at least 8 glasses of water today!

happy new eating style, Jill

RBLWMN
May 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I am really bad on the weekends about my water. I am a school bus driver & it gets SO hot on there I don't have a problem drinking water on the bus, but on the weekends is another story!

Sounds like we have the same agenda this weekend. I am about to go into the daughter's room & have a major clean up!

Barbara, thanks for the update on the WW progam. I was a member years ago & it was a point system. Good luck on it!

Kathy, good luck with opening day. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you stay so busy you don't have time to think about all the candy & ice cream! Think healthy!

casmichele ~ glad you are here!

How's our guy doing?

Super89
May 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much Barbara for that list. It sounds easier as I guess all you have to count are the 35 points. I do have the point list somewhere, I will have to dust it off. I am going to print out your list and I am sure I will have some questions (lots probably!):) I have been doing pretty good today so far so hopefull I will keep it up. Thanks again! Susan

Super89
May 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
OOps! I have a question already! Does the free list include stuff like sugar free jello and/or pudding made with lowfat milk. I dont think the Jello has more than 10 calories so I think that is ok, just not sure about the pudding. Thanks. Susan

snowcamper
May 14th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Where is your campground in NH? We camp every year in Center Ossipee and have gone a lot of other places in NH. Being from MA, NH is our favorite place to go in the summer.
We are over in the Sunapee area - really pretty area that lots of people don't get to. I have 120 sites, very family oriented place. It's fun - better than working for a living! We've been here 9 years and still love it.
I'm having trouble getting all the water down as well. Any suggestions? I just forget to drink. I always have a bottle around, just don't drink enuff. :(

txcdn1
May 15th, 2005, 11:33 PM
snow camper:

I sometimes add lemon or lime juice to the water it gives it just that extra little zing. I also don't really like the taste of our city water so it also covers up that taste. Just before I exercise I try to "down" a bottle of water, I also do this right after my shower again. This at least gets two bottles out of the way! Honestly though, after I have been drinking the water for a week or two I actually miss it when I don't drink it.

I went to the gym again today and still didn't go down anymore weight...bummer.

Jill

snowcamper
May 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Okay, it's Monday morning - did we decide on a weigh-in? Anyway, I am down 4 lbs this week:

Dec 2004 all-time high: 232 Goal: 150 (5'8")
New Start 5/7/05: 220.5
Today: 214
This week: 4
Since 5/7: 6.5
Total: 18

Thanks to all for the great support - I really feel like I am on the right path this time. This is the most positive approach to new eating habits that I have had in years! You all are super supporters!

Kathy

adoptmom
May 16th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Barbara- I'm up north between Indy and Kokomo.

Ugh! It was a long weekend. We began moving stuff out of Grandma's house on Friday mostly in the pouring rain. We're not anywhere done as we still have some time and I'm trying not to be inundated with stuff. Every little thing has to be looked through because she has important stuff stashed everywhere. Yesterday I found $30 worth of change just stuffed in various envelopes and coin purses, in a box, in a drawer. :confused: All her financial notes for the past year are on sticky notes and other scraps of paper. Nothing can be tossed without looking it over.

Well, I'm off to go show a baby goat at my SIL's school then to the dentist thisafternoon. Yuck!

Tami

IndianaCruisers
May 16th, 2005, 10:48 AM
In response to some questions:

I am from West Lafayette, IN. The guy doesn't have access to internet at home so only check when slow at work.

Weekend was ok but not great probably in the weight department. Otherwise weekend was great.

When do we weigh in and report any set day of the week?

All time high was 325 lbs in July of 2003. Started walking before anything else in the morning and lost about 35 lbs. Have put 10 back on since January 2004. Plan to start walking again tomorrow, Tuesday 5-17-05. There it is in writing and being a man of my word better set the alarm a little earlier.

Hope we all have a Great Week.

dan

mc'smom
May 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone want to join me?
I am cruising Sept 10th and would like to be about 40lbs thinner by then.
Eileen

I need to join this group..... I need to loose 40 pounds in order to go on another cruise... Myhusband and I have a bet. If I can loose between 35 - 40 pounds in four months, I can book back to back eastern / western cruises.....

I really want to do this. I have never dieted in my life and do not know where to begin !!!

I am a little shy and kind of afraid of weight watchers... I have this vision of going there and everybody is very thin....LOL

Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated...

Lisa

rickdeb
May 16th, 2005, 11:44 AM
MC's Mom: WW groups are a great support and they are not full of thin people - just people who wish to be thinner and healthier! I have been struggling with the weight thing for several years. I am most successful with WW. It is better if you can find a 'buddy' to go to the meetings with. I was going on my own and had stopped staying for the meetings - big mistake! They are starting a WW @ work this week so I am switching to that one. I need to drop close to 60 lbs but will be very happy if I can ditch 1/2 of that by our cruise in Sept. These boards and the WW online boards are very supportive. The more support, the more successful we'll all be.

Debbie

mrmrscheese
May 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Please let me in on this! I need to have at least 40 off by 9/25 cruise! I actually started Mothers Day and have shed about 8 lbs but I'm sure that was all water weight! My worst problem is sitting by the pool with a glass (or two, three) :rolleyes: after hubby gets home from work! But I can do this....its our 25th wedding anniv. gift to us!:p

mc'smom
May 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
MC's Mom: WW groups are a great support and they are not full of thin people - just people who wish to be thinner and healthier! I have been struggling with the weight thing for several years. I am most successful with WW. It is better if you can find a 'buddy' to go to the meetings with. I was going on my own and had stopped staying for the meetings - big mistake! They are starting a WW @ work this week so I am switching to that one. I need to drop close to 60 lbs but will be very happy if I can ditch 1/2 of that by our cruise in Sept. These boards and the WW online boards are very supportive. The more support, the more successful we'll all be.

Debbie

Debbie
Thanks for the support, I will consider WW. :)
I will be on this board faithfully until I loose at least 20..
I started yesterday with the thought of reducing my portions and drinking more water. I don't over indulge.. I am not a chip, ice cream sweets person.. I just can't go a day without my strawberries and dip... LOL
the journey begins...

good Luck 1

Lisa

Super89
May 16th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Lisa, Hi and welcome! If you don't feel comfortable actually attending WW meetings, you can do it online with ediets. I am trying to do it on my own right now as I am a ww frequent flyer:p but if I can't, I think I will try it online.

I know we are supposed to weigh in on Mondays so I am starting as today is my first day.. weighing in at 168. Hopefully to be 145 by August 21st! So far today has been a great day. One day at a time!!

Thanks for all the good support and info on this thread!:)

RBLWMN
May 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Ok so how do we weigh in? Is it a weekly report or total?

April 17th I was 204
May 16th I am 185

As far as just this week goes I am down 2.

How was everyone else's weekend?

txcdn1
May 16th, 2005, 09:53 PM
:( Okay I'm totally depressed! Not only did I not loose, I gained a pound! My instructor at the gym is sure it's just muscle weight as I have be working out a lot more. I've been drinking my water faithfully and not cheating too much. I did have a very small piece of tuxedo cake and a little bit of clam dip on saturday at a going away party for one of our doctors but other than that I've been behaving. I even went to the gym an extra day to make up for my eating! Oh well, it took 17yrs to get like this I shouldn't expect it to come off in a month.

Hopefully my dh won't see this......
starting weight 4/4/05 212 Highest ever, even 9mth pregnant with toxemia I was less...
Today 197... goal 160 or fitting in to my daughters homecoming dresses for formal nights on cruise 9/25. They vary from size 12-14.

Great going everyone who has continued the downward trend...stick in there for the rest of us

Jill:mad:

Jem4life
May 17th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Jill in Tenesee- What WOE are you doing? You are doing GREAT! Keep it up! "

I had joined in this thread a while back, but have been "out of the loop" for a bit. How is everyone doing on their "40 by Sept." goal? I don't think I'll make 40 by Sept., but have dropped 12 in the last 5 weeks after being "stuck" for 3 months. So I'm down 42 total w/about 40 more to go to goal. Hope to be there by the end of the year.

Have a wonderful day and drink your water!
Jean

adoptmom
May 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Hi all- Well, I'm annoyed. All my moving and parties this weekend helped me put back on 4 of the 6.5 I lost over last week :mad: So I'm back on it hard this week. I only have one thing to go to next weekend and I'm taking my own food to it. I just can't keep going this way when I get so close to breaking 200 and get sidetracked. This whole weekend fiasco started because I didn't get to pack food for Friday's moving disaster. WE didn't get to eat much at all so all day Saturday I was starving. I had a small homemade bun for my burger and a tiny piece of angelfood cake and that was it. I craved food and especially sugar all weekend!

So today I'm detoxing again with southbeach phase 1. It's also my day to do weights so hopefully I can drop those pounds I regained quickly.

Tami

MessyJessy
May 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
My Husband and Doctor (No not the same Person) think that 40 pounds is too much to lose according to my BMI. I made a counter offer of 30 pounds and then we finally agreed on a sensible weight loss goal.

My adjusted goal per the Dr. - 25 pounds. In the past two weeks I have lost 4.5 pounds! Thanks to Mr. Billy Blanks (Tae-bo), Denise Austin (Pilates) Ralph (My chocolate lab who takes me on walks) and a sensible diet! I think I can lose the remaining 20.5 pounds by September!

RBLWMN
May 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Jill ~ don't be discouraged, you are doing great! Its gonna get easier. I have always heard muscle weighs a ton. Keep doing what you are doing.

Jean ~ "WOE" what does that mean? Thanks for the "kudos"! The first 14 pounds came off really fast ~ like everybody says it had to be the water. The other things I have begun is I was taking Relacore everyday but I switched to Trimspa yesterday. I am also going to the YMCA at least 4 -5 times a week.

Jesse ~ sounds like a good comprimise (sp?)!

Tami ~ Good job getting back up on that horse! I was thinking about doing South Beach again. I do remember when I started last year it really helped me with the sugar.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

adoptmom
May 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Jill- WOE= Way of Eating

I didn't get my weight workout in today. My back is really sore from moving around boxes all weekend. Now many of those boxes of paperwork are in my livingroom and I've been going through them until my eyes cross every night. Nothing can be just tossed because of the way grandma just piled financial info in with the junk. At least tomorrow is my iceskating lesson so I know I'll get exercise then.

Tami

RBLWMN
May 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
iceskating lessons? that sounds like A LOT of fun!

Good luck with those boxes today! Take a good hot bath & soak those sore muscles away!

adoptmom
May 20th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yup, ice skating lessons. They're great. That was my birthday present to me 2 birthdays ago. I've been taking about 20 months now. I'm actually making progress although I need to up my yoga during the week so I can increase my flexibility. My feet don't turn out in 1st position like they did 30 years ago in ballet. BTW, it frightens me that I can say 30 years ago. Makes me feel old. :D

Tami

RBLWMN
May 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Avoid statements like that AT ALL COSTS!! lol :p

So how is everyone doing today? This week?

I'm not doing well at all. I only made it to work out Monday & Tuesday. I haven't done well on the scale as a result I guess.

I keep hopping from down 19 to 21, back & forth back & forth :confused:

sharonella
May 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi All!

I am joining yet another weight loss challenge "in progress"! But I've read thru the posts & I recognize some of your names, and of course, it's a very encouraging group of people!

For me, to lose 40lbs between April 23 & Sept 10 is a very aggressive plan,:eek: for 2 reasons, but I want to try! 1st - It's taken me from September 13, 2004 to May 19, 2005 to lose my first 37.5. I'm hoping the warm weather will increase my outdoor activity - walking, biking, etc. At the very least, having to check in here every week will keep me motivated to keep a steady loss, even if I don't make the 40 by Sept 10.

2nd, if I DO lose 40 by then, I will be at the goal my doctor set for me! :D (She also wants me at 25% body fat or less)! Except for over the holidays, I haven't hit any tough plateaus yet, & the closer to goal, the more likely that'll happen. With this challenge & your encouragement, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it steady, with no plateaus at all. :rolleyes:

OK - bottom line - since April 23, I have lost 7.5 lbs - so far, so good. From reading thru this thread, it seems you report in on Mondays? Well, I usually weigh in on Thursday, so I'll report on Friday or Monday - either way, it'll be what the scale said on Thursday!:p

Thanks in advance for all your help & support!

bfloluci2
May 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I need to lose about 35 lbs by September - I really need help!

adoptmom
May 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone- I had some really salty stuff yesterday so thismorning's weighin was not good news. But I will drink lots of water today and should be back down by morning. Right now I'm killing time here instead of going through another box of Grandma's stuff. ;) I'm tired of doing it and being a bit crabby about it today. :D I'll be so glad when I'm done. Once the paperwork boxes are done it won't be as bad but the woman had tons of paperwork, some dating back to 1964! By the time I'm done with her house I'll be qualified to do an episode of Clean Sweep! Of course if I dont' get off this computer and get to work I'll need them to come do my house instead. It certainly makes me glad I stick to my routine of culling stuff every 6 months. DH and I both have packrat tendencies (I know where I inherited mine!) About 4 years ago we were griping about not having enough storage space and we suddenly realized that we have a huge house and 5 barns. there was no way we should have filled it up. So we started going through it. We cut it by half the first time and then we revisit each room every 6 months or so and cut out more stuff. It's very liberating! Right now I'm starting to feel very uneasy in my house again because the clutter is adding up from all this Grandma stuff. It makes me very agitated! I feel stuck and overwhelmed and it spills into every aspect including diet and exercise. Hard to get to the equipment and the stress of it all just makes me want chocolate!

Ok, well at least my rant about clutter got me motivated to go tear into another box. Talk to you later!

Tami

txcdn1
May 22nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Well how did everyone's weekend go?? I had a bad day on Saturday. I went to Nuevo Progresso to get a working visa with a friend from work. Ate too much again and had a few corona's with salt of course. Then when we went to get her visa she was refused it. She had the wrong address on the letter. To make a long story short we had to meet her boss half way back for another letter, then return to mexico and try again for her visa. It took us until almost 10:00 pm before we could head for home. By then we both had whopping headaches and were hungry. Therefore, McDonald drive through was the only option. Cheeseburger and fries the only answer. Oh well, back on the bandwagon tomorrow!

Sending positive weight loss vibes to everyone!

Jill :rolleyes:

adoptmom
May 23rd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Jill- I had a bad day today foodwise. McDonalds would have been an improvement! I went with a plan but it kind of hit the skids. Oh well, I already have my food planned out for tomorrow and nowhere to go so I should be able to detox myself from the sugar. On the good side one of my friends used a combination of reikki and massage on me to get rid of the horrendous headache I've had for 3 days. Not sure if I buy the whole reikki thing but the headache is gone so whatever worked. Now if I could just reikki away the need to eat junk! :rolleyes:

Tami

Totally Addicted
May 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
Jill- I had a bad day today foodwise. McDonalds would have been an improvement! I went with a plan but it kind of hit the skids. Oh well, I already have my food planned out for tomorrow and nowhere to go so I should be able to detox myself from the sugar. On the good side one of my friends used a combination of reikki and massage on me to get rid of the horrendous headache I've had for 3 days. Not sure if I buy the whole reikki thing but the headache is gone so whatever worked. Now if I could just reikki away the need to eat junk! :rolleyes:

Tami

What's reikki? :confused:

sharonella
May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I need to lose about 35 lbs by September - I really need help!

As you can tell from reading here, everyone seems to be doing something a bit different. What seems to work best, in general, is some form of calorie or portion control, combined with regular exercise, and plenty of water. And of course, an important factor is encouragement, which you can get plenty of here!:D

Do you have a plan of how you want to change your way of eating? Do you belong to a gym, or have access to any exercise equipment? (The best "equipment" for someone just starting out on a weight-loss plan is a good pair of sneakers and a safe place to walk!)

Let us know what we can do to help!

adoptmom
May 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
What's reikki? :confused:

It's kind of a new agey really old world sort of thing used to channel healing and energy. The giver holds his or her hands over the body of the receiver and sends healing energy. It's used to heal wounds or illness, relieve stress, combat addictions and so on. Personally, I'm still on the fence but alot of the homeopathic, accupuncture, and other alternative healing techniques are very good. Right now I'm trying a combination of peppermint oil and purification oil to detox from the cake and bread I had at yesterday's birthday party. I didn't have that much but I'm not used to eating it and this morning I was so queasy. I'm much better after the peppermint oil. I just rubbed it on my hands and then took deep breaths into them. It really works.

Tami

Totally Addicted
May 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
It's kind of a new agey really old world sort of thing used to channel healing and energy. The giver holds his or her hands over the body of the receiver and sends healing energy. It's used to heal wounds or illness, relieve stress, combat addictions and so on. Personally, I'm still on the fence but alot of the homeopathic, accupuncture, and other alternative healing techniques are very good. Right now I'm trying a combination of peppermint oil and purification oil to detox from the cake and bread I had at yesterday's birthday party. I didn't have that much but I'm not used to eating it and this morning I was so queasy. I'm much better after the peppermint oil. I just rubbed it on my hands and then took deep breaths into them. It really works.

Tami

Thanks Tami!
That's really interesting!! I know what you mean by still on the fence about some things, and I also agree that some are very good!! I think a lot of it is going back to what people found to work in the "good ole' days" and a lot of times they knew what they were doing and we have set way too many things aside in today's world!!

You said that what you ate yesterday made you queasy? And that when you rub the peppermint oil on your hands and take a deep breath it works. Do you think that would work if someone was queasy as in sea sick?

Thanks again!

sharonella
May 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM

Tami

I think a lot of this "stuff" (for lack of a better word - I don't mean it to sound negative!) works because, like meditation, it focuses your mind (your brain? your energies?) onto whatever is causing your problem, & then your body can more easily heal itself.

If it works (& someone isn't charging huge amounts of money for it!), I say go for it! I truly believe that we don't use our brains to their fullest capacity, & if we could tap into those unused energies, we would all be a lot better off!

snowcamper
May 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
I think a lot of this "stuff" (for lack of a better word - I don't mean it to sound negative!) works because, like meditation, it focuses your mind (your brain? your energies?) onto whatever is causing your problem, & then your body can more easily heal itself.

If it works (& someone isn't charging huge amounts of money for it!), I say go for it! I truly believe that we don't use our brains to their fullest capacity, & if we could tap into those unused energies, we would all be a lot better off!

I agree! My son is ADHD and we tried accupuncture with him and he did great, better than on the meds. But I always thought that part of the results was because the accupuncturist functioned as a very good therapist just because of her personality. He's 18 now and I don't have to get him through school anymore, thank goodness, so now it is his decision what he does about it.

Back to weight loss, or lack thereof. Only down 1/2 pound this week, haven't been to Curves at all. I really have to get up early and go, won't make it once my day gets busy. So I am 7 pounds toward my 40 by Sept goal. Still have not eaten one candy or ice cream out of my store tho - I am resisting!

adoptmom
May 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM

I think you're absolutely right. Some call it reikki, some call it laying on of hands, prayer power, whatever. Half the battle is believing in it and letting your body do it's job.

Barbara- I'm not used to eating sugar and flour anymore. I have crohn's and those are on the "really bad for me" list. They're not real good for anyone but especially for people with autoimmune diseases. There are all kinds of great answers in homeopathy for motion sickness. People use everything from accupressure bands, accupuncture, biofeedback, hypnosis to herbs. Two of the best herbs are ginger and peppermint. Also lavender can work for some people because it calms the nerves. Just make sure if you're going to try it you get good quality oils, teas or pills. Immitation flavors won't do it. The oils I use are by Youngliving. Check out www.youngliving.org. Also most ogranic groceries carry oils, teas and pills. If you live near a Wild Oats they have a large seletction of things to try. If you want some more info I can give you the e-mail address of a friend of mine who is a homeopath.

Tami

IndianaCruisers
May 24th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Only down a pound this week, but better than up a pound.

dan

smrtypnts
May 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Count me in!! I want to join this group too!! I've been on WW for 5.5 weeks now and at last weigh in, I was down 12.5 lbs. I should lose a total of 80 lbs, but would be happy with 60 lbs, but will ultimately settle for an additional 30 by cruise time Nov. 19th!! That's an average of an additional 5 lbs per month for the next 6 months. While I'd love to lose considerably more by then, I don't want to set myself up for major disappointment. I figure in these early months I may lose more than 5 per month, but as Sept. nears I may only lose half a pound per week and then that would only be 2 pounds per month. I gave up all processed sugar and all liquor almost 3 months ago and I've been working out at the gym since January. Neither of those 2 things were doing it, but the minute I added WW the pounds started coming off. One really does need to exercise and diet at the same time to lose weight. One without the other just doesn't work. I average 3 times per week at the gym, but I'm there almost 2 hours. 1 hour of cardio and 45 minutes of weights. I missed twice this past weekend, and I bet the scale shows it this week. :cool:

I need to go down at least 2 sizes before the cruise. I'm in an 18 now and want to be in a 14. I am on my way, however, I'm below the 200 mark on the scale now!! WOOHOO

txcdn1
May 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Sorry I missed yesterday but it was a busy day and I was too tired to get on the computer. Our weightlifting instructor really worked us hard! Anyhow, I did manage to loose the extra pound I gained. Now if only it keeps coming off. One great thing that happened was that I was able to get into (and do up) a pair of capri's I bought last year that wouldn't fit so I gave them to my daughter. I guess that just proves muscle weighs more than fat! Yeah.

New short term goal....break the 90's.

Have a great evening, Jill:)

adoptmom
May 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Well, I lost the party weight I gained but since I had a stomach bug I don't reccommend losing it the same way! How's everyone else doing?

Tami

txcdn1
May 30th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Happy Memorial day everyone.

Weigh in today down 1.5 lbs. :)

snowcamper
May 30th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Txcdn1 - I found what you lost! Bad week, up 1.5 lbs :(
Holiday weekend, worked too many hours, ate all the wrong things. Starting over tomorrow, after a really good nights sleep.
Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

Kathy

guidinggirl
May 31st, 2005, 02:56 AM
I'd like to take part in this challenge. I cruise in Nov. and have about 35 lbs to loose. I have been doing Herbal Life Weightlose Plan for 4 weeks and have lost 14 lbs without too much problem. Herbal Life is expensive and maybe that is why I am being true to following it. It consists of 2 Meal replacement shakes with vitamins to go along with it and then for your supper a regular healthy meal, snacks like fruit, veggies, low fat yogurt and lots and lots of water. For me the suggested is about 1200 cal a day. I love the shakes because then I don't have to plan what to eat. They are very tasty, easy and quick to make and fill you up too. I have had great success with Atkins before and lost about 35 lbs in about 4 months but then it gradually started coming back on and before I knew it, BAM, I was back to where I was when I started. I never had too much success with WW because I found that I was always hungry until I stopped weighing things and then I was hooped again.

Anyway good luck to you all and it really is encouraging to read about everyones trials and tribulations.

Angela
Celebrity Century Nov 26

sharonella
May 31st, 2005, 03:37 PM
Hi All

I can't beleive I forgot to post my loss on Friday - well actually, since it was only .25 of a lb (to bring me to 7.75 total towards our goal of 40) I was probably embarrassed! It's amazing to me that eating out 2x makes such a big difference in how much (or little) you can lose in a week. And basically, that was the big difference in what I did last week. And I really didn't eat lots -- at least I don't think I did :rolleyes: - but when you don't fix the food yourself, there can be so many "hidden calories"!

Congrats to all who lost last week! And and for the rest of us who didn't lose much or didn't lose at all, we probably need to refocus and pay a little more attention to what we put in our mouths or how much we exercise! (I still havent gotten my pedometer yet! It's "on the list"!)

I'm expecting Thursday's weigh in to be better!

sharonella
June 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Well this Thursday's weigh in was much better. I lost 1.25 for a total of 9 since Apr 23. At this rate, though, I'd better get a move on to lose another 31 in 14 weeks! :p

Yesterday I hit the goal of 40lb lost! :D Feels good! I'm about halfway to my "real" goal now!

Thanks for all the encouragment! :o It makes it a bit easier, knowing I have a place to write down my successes & problems, & I can see that others are in the same "boat" as me! Plus, I like the friendly "competition" of these challenges - where everyone who 'loses' is also a winner!

txcdn1
June 3rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
congratulations sharonella wtg. I met 2 goal markers today! I have a birthday today and I'm halfway to my goal. 20lbs yahoo! congrats to all those who have lost and keep going those who have stayed the same or even gained. Remember muscle weighs more than fat!

keep smiling, Jill;)

Sweetdreams
June 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum. But saw that someone lost 40 lbs. and wanted to extend my congratulations! I've had some weight problems after I hit my 40's. Always thought I ate rather healthy but slowly the 5lbs. turned into 10lbs. and it happens. Anyway about 2 yrs. ago I finally realized the culprit in my diet. I cut out all sweetened iced tea and drank water with lemon. Also cut out most carbs from my diet. The weight finally came off & has now stayed off as long as I cut down on the carbs. Evaluating everything about my habits which even included the snacks I had such as 100 cal. snack of pretzels really adds up over time.

Yes, I fell off the wagon, so to speak, on our recent cruise. Enjoyed those wonderful croissants every morning and ate dessert every night and chocolates. Gained 6 lbs. in 12 days! Have lost 5 of it since I'm home. Anyway, my point is that over the span of our lives we try all kinds of diets & exercise routines but it seems that each decade of our lives as our metabolism changes we need to adjust our eating style & pattern of exercise.

Good luck to all who are working on getting into shape. It will not only do wonders for your self esteem but your energy level will soar. It's also a lot of fun going shopping for those new cruise clothes!

sharonella
June 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Hey Jill! Happy Birthday! And congrats on the 20lb milestone! :D Yahoo AND Woohoo!

And welcome, Sweetdreams! Thanks for the encouragement! Besides portion cotrol & limiting unneeded fats (esp. saturated fats) & empty calorie carbs, EXERCISE has been my savior! It's what's helping me lose weight consistently, & I'll just have to keep doing it in some form or other to maintain once I hit my goal (about another 40 lbs from now!).

I'm 47 now myself, & like in those incessant TV commercials, I've developed that "ugly belly fat", that I never had before. No matter what I weighed in the past, my waist & hip measurements usually had about a 10 inch difference. NOW my waist is only 6 inches smaller than my hips - that was before AND even now AFTER losing 40 lbs! I'm reading up on what can be done with diet (NOT drugs) to help with that, and if it works, I'll post it in the forums here.

txcdn1
June 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Welcome Sweetdreams! I also have switched to drinking water with lemon and for variety water with lime instead of sodas, I think it really makes a difference in the weightloss. Anyhow this is just a quick note of welcome as I have a busy day around the house today.

Jill:)

Totally Addicted
June 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Hey Jill! Happy Birthday! And congrats on the 20lb milestone! :D Yahoo AND Woohoo!

And welcome, Sweetdreams! Thanks for the encouragement! Besides portion cotrol & limiting unneeded fats (esp. saturated fats) & empty calorie carbs, EXERCISE has been my savior! It's what's helping me lose weight consistently, & I'll just have to keep doing it in some form or other to maintain once I hit my goal (about another 40 lbs from now!).

I'm 47 now myself, & like in those incessant TV commercials, I've developed that "ugly belly fat", that I never had before. No matter what I weighed in the past, my waist & hip measurements usually had about a 10 inch difference. NOW my waist is only 6 inches smaller than my hips - that was before AND even now AFTER losing 40 lbs! I'm reading up on what can be done with diet (NOT drugs) to help with that, and if it works, I'll post it in the forums here.

Hope you find an answer to the belly thing!! It is amazing how that happens when we get past a certain age!!! :eek: Looking forward to your posts!

IndianaCruisers
June 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Just checking in. Weight is back to the 300 pounds exactly, too many grad parties and too little self control. Will start again.

Have a Great Day everybody

dan

tennisobo
June 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I have been following this thread for several weeks now, so thought I would jump in and introduce myself.

I'm 49 years old and about 25lbs overweight. I have lost 3 pounds in the past few weeks and reading your posts here has helped me to stay on track. I have a new reason to lose since my son came home from his first year at college. He came home weighing 215lbs. and he's only 5' 10". he gained over 15 lbs. this year and his dad and I are really concerned. So he and I are both on the weight-loss wagon.

I work out 4 times per week but have decided to up that to 5 or 6 for this summer. If I lose the 25lbs. I think my husband would agree to take about any cruise I want. How's that for motivation? :)

snowcamper
June 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I have been following this thread for several weeks now, so thought I would jump in and introduce myself.

If I lose the 25lbs. I think my husband would agree to take about any cruise I want. How's that for motivation? :)

Welcome! I hope we can help you stay on track - I like your DH's thinking! Mine, I think, actually believes that when the weight comes off, this 53 year old body will go back to the 33 year old one he married. Probably not happening! He's dreaming of bikinis!

Anyway, after a 1.5 gain last week, I am down 3.5 this week, so 9 pounds down toward the 40 by September. 9 pounds in a month seems like a good pace, though I would love it to come off faster! This thread is really helping me stay focused - thanks to all of you! :D

Kathy

sharonella
June 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Just checking in. Weight is back to the 300 pounds exactly, too many grad parties and too little self control. Will start again.

Hey Dan - Sorry to hear that. What I've had to learn when confronted with the party/buffet "problem" is to, on your first pass through, just take just "little bits" of ONLY what you REALLY want (hopefully it will include some salad or veggies, and don't bother with bread or chips!). Then, you can always get up a second time if you really want more. One thing I do (which is hard for a guy sometimes, I think) is take a bite off someone else's plate (like my BF or my sister) if they have something that's totally decadent, that I can't trust myself to just take a teensy serving from the buffet. Also, if you find you've taken too much food - you just don't HAVE to eat everything on your plate! (Regardless of what your mother told you, it doesn't help starving kids in China if you clean your plate here in the good ol' USA!):rolleyes:

I'm glad you haven't given up - every day is a new day! Oh - one other thing - when you're at these big gatherings & people notice you aren't eating as much, don't let them say "It's a party, take a break!". Tell them, "Hey, you can't argue with success, I've already lost 10, 15 (or whatever)." Good luck!

I work out 4 times per week but have decided to up that to 5 or 6 for this summer. If I lose the 25lbs. I think my husband would agree to take about any cruise I want. How's that for motivation?

Way to go, tennisobo!

Bumping up the exercise will definitely increase your weight loss! And what a GREAT motivator - have you picked your cruise yet! :D

I've got some new motivation myself. I want to audition for a community show later this summer, & it's the first time in a long time that I've felt confident enough to do so! (I usually perform with one group, but this would be for a different group.)

sierraN
June 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Hi, Everyone! I would love to join a support group to help me lose about 30-35 pounds by my October 8th cruise so can I join you!!?...Is it even possible to lose that much in 4 months? I don't want my goal weight to be to out of reach. I guess instead of typing this...i should be on the treadmill...but my throat hurts and I have to get ready for work in about an hour and ....maybe when I get home ....ok I get home at 12 p.m...see how good i am at making excuses..but my throat does hurt..Anyway, is there room for another person here...a very chubby person? Can you even use the term "chubby" when you are almost 40...probably not...

sharonella
June 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Hi, Everyone! I would love to join a support group to help me lose about 30-35 pounds by my October 8th cruise so can I join you!!?...Is it even possible to lose that much in 4 months? I don't want my goal weight to be to out of reach. I guess instead of typing this...i should be on the treadmill...but my throat hurts and I have to get ready for work in about an hour and ....maybe when I get home ....ok I get home at 12 p.m...see how good i am at making excuses..but my throat does hurt..Anyway, is there room for another person here...a very chubby person? Can you even use the term "chubby" when you are almost 40...probably not...

Welcome sierraN-- there's always room in cyberspace! And we just cruised the Glory in March -- Great ship!

30-35lbs is ambitious, but not impossible! If you can't get a workout on the treadmill today, do you have a break at work where you can walk for 15-20 minutes? That small "workout" is better than no workout, and even better than exhausting yourself if you really do feel ill. Good luck!

sierraN
June 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Well, I'm a nurse, so I get a lot of walking in that way..but not the kind where I'm at a steady pace for 30 minutes..:) I work in Labor and Delivery and there are only 2 of us, so we can't leave the unit. I like your suggestions though...i guess you have to try and get in any kind of work out that you can some days and keep focused on the goal! I really think working with weights would help too not just to lose weight but because of all the lifting that I do at work.

txcdn1
June 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Wow! So many new people. Welcome everyone! SierraN I am also a nurse and work in the nursery in a 12 bed unit. When our census is low we have been know to walk briskly around the unit for 15-20 min as we can't leave either. I still do try and get in at least a good 2-3hr work out 3 times a week. Also keep a large glass of water available at all times. It's also very important NOT to skip meals. Try and eat every 3-4 hours minimum as it keep the metabolism burning. Your probably already know these things but it doesn't help to hear them again. Good luck! Jill:)

adoptmom
June 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
SierraN- You should get a pedometer and see how far you walk each day. You might be surprised. You're supposed to aim for at least 10,000 a day and I'm betting at work you probably get that and then some. :D You may be getting more "cardio" than you think.

Strength training might be a better bet for you. I was just talking to the nurse practicioner at the asthma clinic today about this same thing. She lost about 50 pounds a while back and she swears by strength training. She had been doing cardio for 8 months and only lost 5 pounds but when she got a trainer for a couple of sessions to set up a routine for her she got results really quickly.

Tami

sharonella
June 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I still do try and get in at least a good 2-3hr work out 3 times a week.

Wow to you Jill! 2-3 hour workouts! Maybe that's what I need to do at lest 1x per week. I usually only do 60-90 mins at a time in the gym 4-5x week (usually closer to 60) plus (like today) get in a 20 min walk at lunch about 2x week.

Way to go!

txcdn1
June 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone..hope everyone is stinking to plan. Sharonella I really enjoy working out once I get there it's just hard for me to get there with my work schedule. I have recently rediscovered swimming laps and am suprised by how much cardio it provides. I am only up to 9 laps so far and am exhausted by the time I'm finished. It's a great feeling though. Have a great day..talk to you in a few days. Jill:p

cruizinrican
June 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I am cruising Sept.10 and want to lose 40 lbs. before I go. I have joined the gym and am trying to watch what I eat and when. I have all this great skinny cruise clothes but nothing fits!!! How can I go on a cruise in Sept. with only 3 pairs of my fat shorts? I have to get down or I won't even be able to wear any of my gowns?! :o

sharonella
June 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Jill - I'm not a swimmer - I wish I was - I just kind of just paddle around in the shallow end of any pool. One of these days...... I hear water aerobics is good too. My gym has a "sister gym" with a pool, & they occasionally offer special water aerobics classes. I'd really like to try that, for the exercise, as well as to make myself more comfortable in the water.

cruizinrican - Welcome! What's your plan? Joining a gym is great! Be sure to take advantage of any free consultations with instructors/weight trainers. (Just make sure they focus on showing you how to use the machines & maximize your workout time, rather than sell you dietary supplements, etc.) I find that using the weight machines is a better workout than using free weights. And be sure to "push your limits". I can't believe how many people (especially women) I see "flopping" their arms around with 2 lb free weights or 10 lbs on the machines - wasting their time, because they just are not "doing" anything to build up their muscles that way! (Sorry for the rant - there were quite a few of those ladies I saw last night at the gym - more than ususal - they must be anxious to get ready for swimsuit season!!)

Bottom line - If you focus on your workout (alternating weights AND aerobic) as much as on your way of eating (portion control, eating less processed foods, eating more veg & fruits, more water, etc.) the actual lbs lost may not matter as much as the total inches lost.

Good luck & keep us informed!

adoptmom
June 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Sharonella- I love water aerobics! When we got our pool I bought 2 books and created my own water routine that includes 15 minutes of aerobic moves, 15 min of water running and about 20 minutes of strength exercises. You should do it next time the opportunity comes up.

Tami

MRENEE
June 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hello All Just Saw This And Please Count Me In I Leave On The Victory Sept. 4, 2005 Today's Weight 204lbs March 24 Weight 220. :)

txcdn1
June 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Wow everyone seems really enthuised(sp?) this week, that's great. Welcome to all the new people too. I just finished a really long day at work so I'm off to bed. Jill;)

sharonella
June 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Welcome to all the new people!

Tami - I don't have much access to a pool, but if the gym offers classes at their other location that fit my schedule, I'm there!

Well, I'm here to post my weigh in for yesterday - I gained 1.25 this week. :( That brings my total lost to only 7.75 since Apr 23.

It's very frustrating because I know I exercised more - in addition to my usual workouts at the gym after work, I walked 20 minutes every day this week at lunch!

I also didn't THINK I had too much food (the scale says different), but I know I can lose track of portion sizes because I don't measure every time - I 'eyeball' it. I think I need to track what I eat for a week or so and recheck my portion sizes & calories. AND I think I may need to switch around WHEN I eat what, too. I tend to eat lighter (but many times) during the day, with a big supper about 8:30 after I get back from the gym.

I think also I need to track how much protein I have every day, as well as when I have it. While I might be having enough, I'm thinking maybe I have to have more in the morning, to get me going, & less at supper. Does anyone know how to calculate how much protein I should be having in a day? And should I base my protein intake on what I weigh now? Or my goal weight?

Thanks in advance!

txcdn1
June 10th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Sharonella sorry I don't know the answer to your protein questions but I do have some other suggestions. How often and what are you eating during the day? You should also eat your larger meal in the morning or at lunch. Weight watchers also recommends that you write down (journal) EVERYTHING that crosses your lips. This includes tasting while preparing meals, walking through Sam's club etc. You will be suprised how quickly those things add up. Have you varied your exercise program at all? Your body gets used to the same routine and results won't be as good. Just remember muscle weighs more than fat! Don't give up...you still are at a loss. Good luck, Jill:)

adoptmom
June 11th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Sharonella- According to most of the things I've read, you figure your protein needs by figuring one gram for every pound you weigh. Hi carb/low fat programs divide that number by half and low carb programs use that as the minimum number of fat grams. So if you weigh 150 pounds (I'd love to!) you'd need 150 grams of protein or more for a low carb plan or about 75 grams for a low fat/high carb plan. Figure each egg or ounce of meat for about 7 grams of protein.

Hope that helps.

Tami

Sarapdot
June 13th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Hello all! I just found this thread and would like to join, if that's alright with everyone!:D I am cruising on Oct. 30th, but would like to lose 40 more pounds by Sept. I have lost 33 since Jan. but I have slacked off:eek: I need some more motivation to work out. I started walking in the mornings and did really good for about two weeks then for some reason I stopped.:confused: Anyway, I need to really work hard to lose those last 40 by my cruise. I want to make sure that I have time to buy all new clothes!:p

Hope everyone has a good day
Sara

snowcamper
June 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Hi Sara, welcome to our thread! You have done super since January - great job! I am sailing Nov. 10th, just after you, so less than 5 months to go! That sounds like motivation to me! If we can stay at a nice even pace, we'll get there without going crazy at the end.

And, on that note, I am down 2 pounds this week. Was kinda sick over the weekend, too much heat, no A/C, so I can't take all the credit, but it's still nice to see on the scale ;) Also, I made to 209 - only 10 more to the 100's - haven't been there in 6 or 8 years, don't remember when! Down 11, 29 more to 40 by September.
Kathy

sharonella
June 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Thank you Jill & Tami!

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting that much protein - and I really hate writing everything down, but I know I need to do it every now & then (like now) to sort out what I'm doing, & revise my "plan of attack"! I'll track for a few weeks & figure out where I need to make my changes - Including trying to eat more (protein mostly) earlier in the day, & then lighter in the evening.

Way to go Kathy & Sara!

Breaking the "200 barrier" was a real big deal for me too! And Sara - 33 since January - Awesome! Walking is the best excercise - which reminds me - off to my afternoon walk!

Here's hoping this week's weigh in is better for me! Even tho I know I need to "revamp" my eating even more as I get closer to my goal, I think I might have over-reacted a bit at this week's gain - it's my first gain (over .25 lbs) since February, so I think I panicked - but I do want (need) to nip it in the bud right away, so it's not a trend!

Thanks for all the suppport & help! :D I love the encouragment I get here!

guidinggirl
June 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Great job Snowcamper: It is amazing how much more energy one seems to have as the pounds start to come off. I was pleased this week dropping 4 lbs for a total of 19 lbs since May 2. I will have a major challenge this weekend as I will be going to Girl Guide camp and the outdoor cooking is always so flavorful. I guess it is good that I am already planning my diet attack for the weekend and hopefully my willpower will keep me motivated.

One thing that I have used for snacking is roasted soya nuts. They take a little getting use too and you have to be carefull with your teeth because some of them seem to be very hard but they are full of protein.

Good luck to you all. I love reading this thread. It helps alot. I am really looking forward to getting some new clothes when i reach my goal of 40 by sept.

Angela cruising Nov 26 on the Century :)

sharonella
June 13th, 2005, 02:42 PM
WTG Angela! Planning ahead is half the battle, I'm finding! Keeping ou with those campers is bound to burn off lots of calories tho! I think the s'mores would be the toughest for me! :eek:

I do the roasted soy nuts too (unsalted). I usually add a handful to my yogurt at lunch! Extra protein & lots of crunch! Makes the yogurt more satisfying!

txcdn1
June 13th, 2005, 11:18 PM
:) WTG everyone! I had success on the scales again this week. Down another 2...I can see the 80's on the horizon, YEAH!! I also had a meeting at work with someone I don't see very ofter. When I stood up she said "wow skinny!" great for the ego and also helps boost the willpower. We are going to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels tomorrow (a water amusement park) and I'll have to be in my swimsuit all day, thank goodness I've lost that 22lbs. Anyhow have a great night everyone and once again WTG! Jill:p

Sarapdot
June 14th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Angela - I also eat the soy nuts, unsalted of course! They do take some getting used to. I'm not sure what diet you are on, but on my plan we can have reduced fat peanut butter as a protein and it's yummy!!:D You guy's really seem to have it going. I have been in a slump the last month or so and have struggled with the same 2-3 pounds. I can't seem to get past 169!:mad: I lose it then I gain it back. It's so irritating! That's why I have started walking again. I really want to lose this last 40 before my cruise. And I'm really affraid I won't be able to. Anyone have any extra tips I could try??

guidinggirl
June 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I am so impressed with the motivation of exercise with everyone on this thread. I haven't been too true with my work outs, a little bit of weights, a little walking, a little rollerblading, however, I was up and out the door by 6 am for a very brisk walk for 1 hour and 15 min. I even managed to work up a sweat and I am making plans for the same tomorrow morning. I find that if I can get the exercise done in the morning it really kicks the metobolizim into high gear. I do daycare in my home and although I am very active it is not the same as intense exercise.

Another snack that was suggested to me was a whole can of tune (packed in water of course) mixed chopped up dill pickles and a couple of tblspoons of light mayo. Again a low calorie high protein snack. Apparently that protein just keeps the body furnace working. I am feeling great and getting into jeans that I haven't fit into for quite some time.

Oh by the way, I went to see "Monster In Law" with Jane Fonda, and talk about looking terrific for her age????? I know that she has the $$$$$ for lots of face lifts and no doubt tummy tucks, however, she sure has a great body. And I had alot of laughs, it is definately a chic flic.

Have a great day all;)

sharonella
June 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Another snack that was suggested to me was a whole can of tune (packed in water of course) mixed chopped up dill pickles and a couple of tblspoons of light mayo. Again a low calorie high protein snack. Apparently that protein just keeps the body furnace working. I am feeling great and getting into jeans that I haven't fit into for quite some time.

Want to "kick this up a notch"? Add a bit of horseradish. :eek: My BF's mom turned me on to this - anything you make that you would add mayo to, add a bit of horseradish, and it turns something that's just "good" into something to ENJOY! And if you think light mayo is a little "bleah", you don't even notice if you add horseradish!

mountainmare
June 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone!!!
We are not air-conditioned and the thought of sitting in the heat typing was just too much. But I did exercise early each day!!! I'm feeling great because the scale read 165 today--only 5 pounds from the 150s!!!

Sara- I was in a major slump for two weeks, gained 2 pounds and with the help of all the good people here got back on the wagon. I cannot beleive how much better I feel when I exercise.

Kathy I hate the hear also, and with only one room with AC I can credit mother nature with my loss this week. Nothing like a heat wave to cut the appetite and make you drink water!!!

Jill- I had the opposite happen to me!! I have lost 21 pounds and at least 15 inches since March. I am wearing clothes that I have not been able to squeeze into for 2 years. My DH (yes I did post the fat DH thread) is sort of on Atkins because there is nothing else to eat in the house. We ran into a friend lastweek and she said "Wow, Den have you ever lost a TON of weight!!" Oh well....
My sister says that she has never really noticed my weight changes because I carry myself with attitude no matter what my size--there might be a compliment in there somewhere but my ego would still like someone to notice 21 pounds, 15 inches and 2 dress sizes!!!

Hoping that everyone is doing well

Linda

sharonella
June 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Hi All!

After crying & whining last week about my "big" gain, I have come to believe that the scale I weighed in on last week was the main problem. (Haven't we all heard THAT before! :rolleyes: ) Usually, I only weigh myself every other week at the chiropractor's office. Nice realible scale, & I don't beat myself up over every little 1/4 lost or gained. When I started doing these weight loss "challenges", I decided to use the scale at my gym on the "odd" weeks - & even figured out (by weighing myself at the gym, then driving straight to the chiropractor) that there was only a 1/2 lb difference between the 2 scales.

Well, this week at the chiropractor, I "lost" a whopping 3.25 lbs since last week. I certainly don't feel I lost that much, but last week when the other scale said I gained, THAT's when I felt I lost. This works out to only 2 lbs lost since 2 weeks ago at the chirorpractor. I think I need to go back to just weighing myself every two weeks, even in these challenges, or else I will drive myself (and you guys!) crazy. :o

OK - bottom line - I've lost 11 lbs toward the 40 I pledged to lose by Sept 8. I've still got to kick it up a bit to make that goal, but I went to Wal-Mart last night & bought a pedometer (finally!) & a new bike helmet & gloves. My bike will hopefully be fixed up by next weekend!

Thanks for listening! :D

txcdn1
June 17th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Allright Sharonella! I like riding my bike too! Unfortunately the weather here is getting really hot again so it's very hard to ride. I lost (and hope to never find) another 1.5 lbs. Hello '80s. What a great feeling. Keep it up everyone, Jill:)

snowcamper
June 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Just when in September are we aiming for - beginning or end? I'm thinking the beginning of the month - that would be "by September", right? Then I can go for another few pounds before my Nov 10th sailing!

Sarapdot
June 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I'm going for the end of Sept. That will give me enough time to purchase new clothes in my new smaller size:p , before my Oct. 30th cruise.

getaway101
June 20th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Hi All - Can anyone join in on this site? I would like to lose 20 pounds by 9/15/05. Would love to have some encouraging words from time to time. http://smileys.******************/cat/7/7_5_127.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSXXXXXX47US)

sharonella
June 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Getaway!

Anyone can join! Welcome! What do you hope lose by September?

To everyone else - congrats on your losses!

I think this was supposed to end Sept 8, but hey! Why not keep it going to the end of the month if you want? We just need to set goals accordingly. Right now, if I want to stick to my original goal of 40 lbs by Sept 8, I need to average about 2lbs per week. (It seemed more doable back in May when I joined the challenge!:rolleyes: ) If we keep on to the end of September, it seems more likely I'll actually get (closer) to 40 lost!:p

Still no bike yet! :( It's at our camper "up north", & I don't think we'll make it up till July 4th, unless my dear BF goes up for a day trip next weekend. (He was hoping to go up this weekend, & it just never happened!)

What I did do yesterday was run around for over an hour with my 7 yr old niece, batting around a 10" ball with a sturdy plastic "tennis" racket, just seeing how long we could volley it back & forth on the patio! I had quite the workout! My shoulders & legs still feel it, but it feels GREAT! A year ago, I'd have been lucky to have lasted 10 minutes, & would probably have thrown out my back!

Y'know - It's not really about the numbers on the scale or how I look in a bathing suit - It's about being able to play with my nieces & nephews without getting out of breath, and actually feel GREAT doing it! :D

txcdn1
June 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
The end of September sounds good to me too! I cruise September 25th and that will give me a little extra time. We all know it gets harder to loose the closer you are to goal! I'm going up to visit my sister in Fort Worth this weekend and am hoping to buy some new smaller clothes. Have a great one, Jill;)

snowcamper
June 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I weighed in today - up 3 pounds, I'm sorry to say. Not surprised tho, I seem to be totally off track right now, I want to eat everything in sight! Especially if it says "ice cream" on the label! That's when it really hurts to have one's own convenience store - it's too convenient! But I am back on track today. I didn't do formal exercise, but I pulled all the weeds around the pool, so that was a good 2 hours of work (big pool, lots of weeds!)

Hope you guys are doing better than I am!

Sarapdot
June 21st, 2005, 12:45 AM
Well, I feel pretty good today. I weighed in this morning and lost about .5 pound. I also walked 1 1/2 miles and did some crunches to lose my gut. I was really proud of myself. Didn't lose as much as I had hoped but at least it's something. I'm hoping that my workouts are making me gain muscle and lose inches. If that's the case then I don't feel so bad about the scale not moving much.

Hey snow... Are you eating sugar free, fat free ice cream? If not maybe you should swich to it, then you can have your "ice cream" and eat it too!!:D

Keep up the good work everyone.

sharonella
June 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Jill - It's always fun to buy those smaller sizes! Have a great trip!

Hi snowcamper - sorry about the gain:(! You just have to stock up the store with some lo-cal snacks! :rolleyes: And find time to swim in the pool after clearing out the weeds! I've been very active this week AND this weekend, but have been CRAVING and eating chocolate - I need to lock it up away from me!! Aaarrgghh!

And sarapdot - as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, slow is OK! :p After my cholcolate binge, I don't know what this next week will bring!

guidinggirl
June 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Well I made it through Girlguide camp without any problems:) . I even managed to be down 2 lb's too, total 21 now I guess I am on the downward side now ;) .

Speaking on Low fat treats, personally I am afraid to even let them pass my lips as it will weaken my will power. Like last night I went to a barbeque and fully intended on being extra good however the chocolate raspberry cheesecake called my name and down the hatch it went. I did manage to take a very small peice and when seconds came around I managed to pass but it sure was hard. Cheesecake is my all time favorite . I find that the less choices that I have the better I seem to do with losing weight. I know it sounds boring but it will be all worth it as I am trying a little bit of this and a little bit of that on the Century in Novemeber :D .

Have a great week everyone
Angela

Doughboy
June 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM
I would like to join this thread also. I am sailing on September 17.

I have a ton to loose, but set my goal at 35 pounds. I weighed in this morning and ma down 14 pounds.

I have been having a horrible time this past few days. On Sunday I had the munchies really bad and today I wanted cheesy pizza so bad I couldn't stand it. I was good and had my Healthy Choice dinner instead. Actually, luckily the people I go to lunch with were gone so I stayed at the office. This afternoon a co-worker asked me to go the DQ and I managed to have ice water.

I have 21 pounds to go to my first goal and then I will take it from there.

A few months ago I bought a lovely piece of furniture that sits between my kitchen and livingroom and gathers dust. Actually, I think it is called a treadmill. HA HA I need to get in gear and use the darned thing. We paid over $400 for this obstacle we walk around. HA HA

txcdn1
June 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
welcome doughboy. Lean quisine? makes a great cheese pizza, in fact all there pizza's are great. snowcamper, swimming is great exercise. just jump in and swim! Have a great one everybody! Jill;)

sharonella
June 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hi guidinggirl & doughboy! Way to go to both of you! :D

Doughboy - when the cravings hit, sometimes it's best to indulge "a little", like guiding girl did with her small piece of cheesecake. And like Jill said, there's a lot of good "healthier" pizzas out there. I've made my own "pizzas" at home with pita bread, spaghetti sauce - light on the cheese & heavy on the veggies. Or if only the "real thing" will do, does your local pizzeria sell by the slice?

And guidinggirl - I had a lowfat "make your own sundae" this weekend - everything in moderation! But the big problem with "lowfat" treats is they are usually heavier on sugar, which can be worse! :(

I try to read labels all the time now, but I really goofed a few weeks ago. I bought my BF what I thought were "healthier" snacks for his lunch - those Hostess fruit "pies" (actually the store brand 4/$1, but the ingredients are the same). A week later, after he had already a few, HE decided to read the label - almost 400 calories, more than 50% (I think) of the % daily value of saturated fat, because it's made with LARD! :eek: Aaaaccckkk! Now I read everything, even if I'm buyng it just for him!

Sarapdot
June 22nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Hey you guys! My husband and my friend who is on the diet with me loooovveee the Lean cuisine pizza's. Not the french bread, the roasted vegi, mushroom spinach and margaritta pizza's. They say they are the best. I haven't tried them. Thought you pizza lovers might give them a shot.:D

PatM
June 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
I'd love to join you all to stay motivated. I've been doing ww for about 13 wks. As of last Thursday, I was down a total of 13 lbs. (4.6 lbs last wk). I've had a couple of 2 lbs weight gain weeks followed by the 4.6 lb drop last week. I took the month of May off was vacationing from dieting and exercising so that's when I started gaining the 2 lbs for 2 wks in a row. I'm thinking - here we go again paying to gain! At this point, I knew that I had to make a change or I would gain back all that I lost. On June 6th I kicked up my exercising :eek: ! I start every morning by doing a 70 minute exercise video (Florence Joyner) and Monday - Friday I walk 3 miles at lunch (got caught in down pour once so far) and 2 miles at home on the treadmill. So far, the only thing I do on the weekends is my Flo Jo video. It consists of cardio, toning & abs. Also drink lots of water - 24 ozs during morning exercise another 24 ozs in the evening and 32-64 ozs during the day at work. Was drinking an additional 24 oz in the evening, but it was interferring with my sleep schedule - yep, up at 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. for a bathroom run :) Need to work on drinking more during the weekend. I know that I drink at least 24 ozs.

I've completed my exercising for the day. Since I took the day off, I did Flo Jo and walked 5 miles on my treadmill. I'm pretty psyched looking forward to seeing if I dropped another 4 lbs this week. Weigh in is in 1 hr. I'll let you know how I did.

I've read that the healthy weight loss is 2 lbs per week. Is it unhealthy for me to lose more than 2 lbs? I'm 5'8" and about 40-50 lbs over weight.

Pat

Doughboy
June 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
PatM, way to go with the excercise!!!!! I am impressed.

Like you, I need to get more water down during the day. In the evening I have cut back so I don't the the potty-hop in the middle of the night.

PatM
June 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Doughboy - now I need to keep it up for at least 12 more weeks then I'll take a mini vacation on the AOS. After that, I'll get back on track and hopefully can cut back on some of the exercising. However, I must walk on the treadmill daily even if its only for 1 mile because when I purchased it (Nordictrack) I assured my dh that it was a great investment for us so I can't let it become a hanger or dust collector. DH is taking his walk as I type. He's walking to strengten his back.

Weigh in today only down 2 lbs since last Thursday. Very happy that it wasn't a gain!

Pat

txcdn1
June 24th, 2005, 12:02 AM
WTG Pat and welcome. With all that exercise you are doing remember muscle weighs more than fat. Had a long stretch at work so I'm off to bed. Welcome to all the new names. Jill:)

sharonella
June 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Pat -- WTG!

Two things

1 - I'm not a medical person, but I don't think it's unsafe to lose an average of 2 lbs per week at this time, especially since you say you still have up to 50 lbs to lose. (The closer to goal you get, the harder it will be, of course.) But it's a mistake to severely reduce calories if you stop losing at that rate. It only puts you in "starvation mode".

2 - It really is possible to drink TOO much water. You seem to be drinking almost 1 gallon (128 oz) a day during the week. If you also drink any other beverages, you might be drinking too much. You only need to drink about 8 - 8 oz glasses per day (64 oz.), plus a little more when exercising or otherwise sweating heavily. When you drink too much water (more than a gallon a day), your body can lose some of its water-soluble vitamins & minerals through sweat or going to the bathroom. (I had a friend who did this while dieting - she was drinking 1-2 gallons of water per day! She went to the doctor because she started feeling tired all the time, but she knew she was eating enough calories. It was too much water.) And be sure to take a multi-vitamin every day!
Good luck & keep up the good work!

Sarapdot
June 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hello everyone!:p I just got back from my weighin and I am down 1.6 from wednesday.:D I knew it was just water weight. I just hope I can stay below 170 now. I have been hovering around for to long. Now that I'm down to 168 I do not want to see 170 again!!

Sharonela - I may have read your post wrong, but everything that I have heard including what LA Weightloss suggest is that 2 pounds pounds a week is a very healthy rate.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm going to be grilling today. I got about six pounds of chicken I'm going to cook on the grill and freeze. I also got some fresh vegi's. YUM!:p

Hope everyone has a great day!

sharonella
June 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone!:p I just got back from my weighin and I am down 1.6 from wednesday.:D I knew it was just water weight. I just hope I can stay below 170 now. I have been hovering around for to long. Now that I'm down to 168 I do not want to see 170 again!!

Sharonela - I may have read your post wrong, but everything that I have heard including what LA Weightloss suggest is that 2 pounds pounds a week is a very healthy rate.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm going to be grilling today. I got about six pounds of chicken I'm going to cook on the grill and freeze. I also got some fresh vegi's. YUM!:p

Hope everyone has a great day!

Congrats on the loss, Sarapdot! :D 170 is my next hurdle too, just passed the 180 mark last week! And double YUM on the grilled chicken!

I don't think either of us are "wrong" here about how much you should be able to safely lose in a week. Most weight loss experts talk about average loss per week, NOT that you'll actually lose 2 (or more) lbs every week. So some weeks you might lose 3 or some weeks you might lose only .5 lb. The mistake some people make is, if they don't lose 2 or more EVERY week, they sometimes cut their calories too much, which makes it even harder to lose. I was trying make the point that losing about 2 lbs per week is a healthy AVERAGE, not a GOAL you have to hit every week. In trying to be brief, I think I made myself unclear! :o I think substituting the word "unsafe" for the word "unhealthy" was an error on my part. Sorry!

And, everyone's average weekly loss is different. Early on, when I still had to lose 80+, I lost an average of 1.5 to 2 lbs per week (with a 1 week high of 5 lbs), now it's more like 1 to 1.25 lb per week. But some weeks I still lose 3 & some weeks I lose only .25, or gain .25. As long as my trend still heads down instead of up, I'm happy!

Sarapdot
June 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Sharonela - I think we are both saying the same thing here. LA suggest an average of 2 lbs a week. You're right some weeks you may lose 2 and some not. I think we are both on the same page.

sharonella
June 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Sarapdot - it's funny - I thought I'd get comments on what I said about too much water - although it's early yet! Those comments may still come!

Sarapdot
June 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Sharonela - I can see where your comments on the water could be true. It makes since.

PatM
June 25th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Hi All - Thanks for the welcome. :)

Sharonella: Hmm so the tiredness comes from all the water! Some days I am sooo tired - those are probably the days that I'm drinking 128+ oz. I'll try to cut back at work and take little sips instead of the bigger gulps. For my evening walk, I'll try eating crushed ice instead of drinking water.

I don't think I'm losing at an unhealthy/unsafe rate. I'm not dropping 2 lbs/week ... I've had a couple of 2 lb gains two weeks in a row :-( Guess what I'm looking for was more than 2 lbs off. Was hoping since I increased my exercising that the weight would just melt off and the water was used to flush the fat from my system :D I am such a dreamer ;) I'm looking for a quick fix. It took me 9 years (quit smoking) to gain all the weight and now I want it all off over night. I know that's not going to happen, but this time I'm going to give it my all to get rid of the extra baggage this year. If I can give up the cigarettes, I can do ANYTHING. If I'm 20 lbs lighter by September, that will be ok too because I know that I'm really on my way this go round. I still feel that with the extra exercising that the weight loss should be greater than 2 lbs. I guess I need to/can adjusted my exercise schedule if its not going to help take off additional pounds.

Sarapdot: WTG! Down to 168. Can't wait to see those numbers again. Did it take a long time to get here?

Have a great weekend and stay cool.

Pat

heids32
June 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I need somewhere to go when my hands are craving an evening snack!! I am starting this later than a lot of you, but I would like to lose at LEAST 20 ponds before our October 2nd cruise. So, my goal will be 20, I have lost 2 since Monday, leaves 18 to go! I am just working on keeping a healthier diet and trying to get in the exercise. I work part time in a bank and am the mother of two boys-3 years and 9 mos. They keep me hopping:) We live in a very rural area so there is no gym:( The closest is an hour away. So I really need find a video I like and commit to it! Hopefully with all the support I have seen given on this board I can make it!!

Heidi

Doughboy
June 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
The craving thing is really getting to me. I just want to eat. I am not hungry, it guess it is my hobbie!!

I weighed in this morning and I am down one more. 15 down 20 more until my first goal. I thought it would work better for me to have a lot of smaller goals than one HUGE goal.

I found something really good in the frozen ice cream isle. It is Luigi's Italian Ice. I think that they are 120 calories, but you have to scoop it out of the container, so it takes quite a while. I live in a very humid area and this cold treat is wonderful.

Sarapdot
June 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone!:D I just got back from my weigh in and I am down another 1.8 since Friday!:p I'm so excited. I have been hard core the past week. I have not even had a taste of anything that I'm not supposed to eat. My friend that is on the plan with me has not been doing very well for the past few months, she's been cheating alot and getting me to do it with her. She has decided to have a baby now and will not be able to continue on the plan once she gets pregnant. She can continue after she has the baby. So, I'm on my own. I'm gonna make sure that everyone on my cruise thinks I'm the hottest girl there!:p I have a new swim suit that I need to fit into!

Hope everyone has a good day!

IndianaCruisers
June 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Weighed in this morning was down 2 pounds. Finally progress in the negitive direction. Yippee. Probably from the extreme heat here in Indiana over the weekend. I coach a baseball team and we had 5 games Thurs-Sun. I know where I lost most of the weight. Clothes were a lot heavier when I removed them compared to when I put them on.

Weight loss per week: I also have been told on more than one occasion that 2 pounds per week average was a good guide. I also have taken some physical education classes, and one of my professors (a health professor) also instructs that 1 percent of body weight loss per week on average in a good guide to losing weight. So a person weighing 150 should lose 1.5 pounds and peolpe weighing 300 could lose about 3 pounds. Just another thought on the whole process.

dan

sharonella
June 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Pat!

I didn't mean to scare you about the water! But when you exercise is when you should definitely drink more. Maybe not "gulp" large quantities during the day. Try to "spread out" your water. Eight 8oz glasses = 2 quarts. Drink about 1 quart by lunch, another quart by dinner, & then another 16+ oz when you exercise, or if it's very hot. (I try to limit my liquids after dinner, so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night! That's when I have a Polar flavored seltzer drink (0 cal), & sip it through the evening.) Of course, if you feel thirsty - DRINK! I think you only need to "worry" about having too much water when you start having over a gallon (128 oz) a day.

If you are really feeling fatigued tho, maybe you need to rethink when you are eating what. And when you take your vitamins (always with food). I try to eat a little bit of protein with everything. If you eat a little protein with every meal or snack, it takes longer to digest than the carbs in the veg & fruits, & will give you fewer "lows" during the day. And LO-fat dressing is better than NO-fat for your salad - the small amount of fat in LO-fat dressing helps you better digest the fat-soluble vitamins & minerals in the veggies!

And definitely eat something about 1 hr before you exercise & within 1 hr after. Just 1/2 an apple with 1T peanut butter is enough to "get you through".

I don't recommend this next thing for everyone, but sometimes I take 2 multivitamins a day, if I feel "draggy" later in the day. But if I do take the 2nd one, I make sure I take it at least 8 hours after the 1st one, based on the fact that your body usually doesn't store most vitamins & minerals (especially the water-soluble ones), & it excretes most of what it doesn't need at the time. So later in the day, you could be needing more vitamins, even if what you took in the morning had mostly 100% RDAs!

Anyway, the better "supplement solution" (which I am trying to organize myself into) is to take a multi in the AM, then later in the day, take some additional "individual" vitamins & minerals. The US RDA for vitamins & minerals are just MINUMUM average requirements, & most of us need more than that to achieve & maintain optimum health, especially if we exercise & restrict calories, & we don't always eat the right variety of foods to get everything we need. I'm still researching this (you can have too much of some vitamins & minerals, like A & iron), but I think it will go a long way in helping me eliminate the fatigue I occasionally feel later in the day.

sharonella
June 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Way to go to all of you who are posting losses! Woohoo! :D Hope my weigh-in Thursday is just as good!

And Dan - I agree with you on the fact that the heavier you are, the more you can lose. That's always what makes it toughest to lose that last 10-20 lbs!

And Doughboy - I love Italian Ice! I remember eating them as a kid with the little wooden "paddle" from the ice cream man! That took even longer to eat that way! And I think I've even seen some "lower sugar" varieties out there!

Heidi - Keep your hands & mind busy! Find a "non-messy" hobby that you can pick up & put down at a moment's notice - I know having kids means only having little bits of time to yourself! Do you like puzzles? Try www.conceptistech.com (http://www.conceptistech.com/) (Free registration & they never sell your info to anyone!) They have several types of picture-forming logic puzzles that I am absolutely addicted to (If I had to choose between a chocolate & one of their puzzles, I just might choose the puzzle!:eek: ) I'm never in front of the TV without working on one! Or just plain old crossword or variety puzzle magazines! Or my sisters knit & crochet for Linus project which makes blankets for sick kids in hospitals.

Keep up the good work, everyone! I know it's "cookout time"! But we can do it!

guidinggirl
June 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Yes!!! Another 2 lbs's this week total 23 lbs and I managed to get through a weekend at a Motorcycle rally with lots of bbq hotdogs and fried onions ( not for me but my hubby endulged) but it was sure tempting. The really neat thing was that I actually had quite alot of room in my riding chaps, not like last year when they were cutting off circulation in my legs and I really had to suck in my tummy to do up the belt.

Again I contribute my success to carefull planning of meals and making sure that I was satisfied before going around the smells of the free food stuff ( and free food is sure hard to deal with) like when you go to costco and they have all the free samples, wow, I use to try every single sample and make a whole meal by the time I left the store.

I have been a little lax on the exercise but did walk yesterday and will plan to walk each day this week.

Oh I did try mixing tuna and horseradish and a little mayo. Wow,:D it sure does add pazzaz to the old taste buds. I suggest that you all try it. Thanks for that tip.

We should take a tally on total amount of lbs lost by all who are taking this challenge. It would be an interesting tidbit to know and then compare it to some object that weighs x amount of lbs.

All have a great day, this is really motavating for me to continue, so thanks and good luck.

Angela ;)

Sarapdot
June 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM
You want to tally pounds from when we started this or when we started our weightloss??

sharonella
June 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
You want to tally pounds from when we started this or when we started our weightloss??

This thread was started on April 23, but I joined it in May. Since I have been losing weight since September '04, I just checked back in my notes as to what I weighed on April 23 & have been counting my losses against that figure. As of my last weigh in, I am down only 11 lb toward losing 40.

You could count your losses that way, OR if you hadn't already started your weight loss plan when you joined this thread, just figure out how much you think you can lose by the end of the challenge.

I think we kind of decided this ends at the end of September? That means the original challenge was for 40 lbs in about 5 months - which breaks down to an average of about 8lbs per month.

What do you guys think?

Sarapdot
June 29th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Well, on April 23 I weighed 175.2 and as of today I weigh 166.4. That's only an 8.8 pound loss for me since we started.:mad: I have really hit a plateu (sp?) and it sucks. The scale has moved alot for me this past week and I can only hope that it continues. I am taking this chalenge on into the middle of Oct. Because my cruise leaves Oct.30 and my goal is to be down the 40 before we go. I don't think I am gonna make it at this rate.:( It really sucks when you break it down and look back to see that you've only lost 8 pounds in 2 months!:( Now I'm depressed. I weighed in this morning and didn't lose or gain. I guess that's good. I've been really good on plan and haven't had any mess ups all week. Anyone have any ideas on how I can jump start my body??

snowcamper
June 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
well, I am a stay-the-samer this week as well, which is better than gaining like I did last week! Congrats to all who are doing so well!
I know my problem has been the snacking. I have to get my brain back into the mode of making the right choices! I've been better the past couple days. I have to make myself eat regularly, not wait until I am hungry and willing to grab anything quick. AND I have to resist those urges. Nothing really tastes as good (at least not long enuff!) as I think it will. It's gone so fast and I just want more. It's better if I don't even taste it. I've never been one where a little bit can satisfy the cravings.
Right now, I have lost 10 since May 5, I think (my chart is in my other computer). I put 3 back on last week :( or I would be better. WE have 3 months to go until the end of Sept - 13 more Mondays. I just want to get as close as a can to the 40 - as long as I keep going in the right direction, and not back up, I am fine. It took a long time to put this weight on, 15 years, so it will take a while to come off.

sharonella
June 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Well, on April 23 I weighed 175.2 and as of today I weigh 166.4. That's only an 8.8 pound loss for me since we started.:mad: I have really hit a plateu (sp?) and it sucks. The scale has moved alot for me this past week and I can only hope that it continues. I am taking this chalenge on into the middle of Oct. Because my cruise leaves Oct.30 and my goal is to be down the 40 before we go. I don't think I am gonna make it at this rate.:( It really sucks when you break it down and look back to see that you've only lost 8 pounds in 2 months!:( Now I'm depressed. I weighed in this morning and didn't lose or gain. I guess that's good. I've been really good on plan and haven't had any mess ups all week. Anyone have any ideas on how I can jump start my body??

8 lbs in 2 months averages 1 lb per week. That is fabulous! :D You are still losing. You haven't "really" hit a plateau yet, just slowed down a bit - a plateau is when you either stay at exactly the same weight, or keep losing & gaining the same 1-3 lbs for quite a while.

Try switching around what you eat when - I have friend who started eating her "breakfast" at noon & her "lunch" in the AM, and it got her weight loss moving again. You might have to change around your workout, especially if you've been doing exactly the same stuff for a while.

Try adding a few minutes to your workouts, or add a 15-20 minute walk a few times a week. If you don't have the time to have longer or more workouts, try increasing the intensity a bit. Up your weights a little. Use a different machine once in a while - the treadmill instead of the ellipse, or vice versa. Vary the workouts, or increase the resistance. Push your limits a little!

Or switch classes/instructors at the gym. For example - I take the same class every Tues - free weights & leg lifts & crunches, etc, for an hour. Well, she was out last week & there was a sub teaching the class - basically the same muscles worked - but different moves! Wow - what a difference! Then when the regular instructor was back this week, THAT felt like a whole new workout, too! Not sure how that will affect the scale this week, but, so far, I FEEL it did!

It's so easy for your body to get into a rut & get used to what you do - shake it up a bit!

guidinggirl
June 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Okay, Let's start the tally from April 23rd since that is when this challenge started and if you started after that date then just submit what you have lost to date, if you want. So far from what I gather we have the following:

guidinggirl - 23
Snowcamper - 10
sarapdot - 8.8
sharonella - 11
doughboy - 15
heids32 - 2

Total 69.8 lbs Which is the weight of a large dog,lab or setter, a canoe or a bull calf.

This should help us to stay on the downward trend. If I got your numbers wrong just post and I will try to keep our tally up to date.

Good luck and have a great day.

Angela

tvtd4u
June 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I'm looking at only 30 pounds...but also hope for at least 10% body fat lose.

Started at 250 in January...not fat-fat, just large..big boned...mostly muscle... was an "American Gladiator" contestant 10 years ago.(28% body fat)
One month ago I booked our cruise for October.... Aiming for 220.

Now I'm at 236 and 23% body fat. 220 looks like no problem.

Simple.... Smaller portions of Good Food.....Water...lots of water....veggie/fruit snacks..... slowly exercising.
Started with walking a couple of miles slowly... now riding my bike 2 days a week (10 miles easy).... in a couple of weeks I will be riding 15 miles 3 days a week.
Doing Ab crunches (100+) daily.

Only the bike ride takes up time (about 75 minutes w/shower) The rest is simple.

Yes it is tough at first to eat smaller portions of food...but you get in the habit and you get great support from family and co-workers when you say:
"I going to lose 30 pounds by ...... for my cruise." I've actually gotten a few co-workers to start a diet. And the ultimate help is if your spouse gets healthy with you. My wife doesn't have to lose as much as I do, but she is in there exercising and eating healty too. (notice I didn't say 'dieting'....it's healty eating!!!!)

txcdn1
June 30th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hey guys you left me off the tally. 23lbs for me! husband gripping and wants to use the computer. gotta go, Jill:)

sharonella
July 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone!l

Great losses! Woohoo! By the end of the Sept, I expect we will have lost more than what some of us actually weigh! :p

I only lost .5 :rolleyes: for the last 2 weeks, but I'm still moving in the right direction! So I have a total loss of 11.5. I know I exercised more in the last 2 weeks, so maybe I'm building more muscle?

Thanks for keeping track for us Angela! :D and FYI - I'm only going to weigh myself every other Thursday at my chiropractor's office, so I will only use their reliable scale when I post!

Good news! FINALLY got the bike fixed up, air in the tires, & my new helmet & gloves - ready to ride around the "Great North Woods" of Lancaster & Jefferson NH this long holiday weekend. We're even staying at a place with a pool & a gym, so I will DEFINITELY be working out this weekend! We've also got a fridge in the room, so I can bring healthy snacks, fruit & yogurt, etc., & not have to eat out all weekend! The hotel has a great soup & salad bar, too - lots of veggies!

In 2 weeks, I expect to post way more than 2 lbs lost! :p I need to really buckle down to get close to 40lbs by the end of Sept!

Have a great weekend all!

tvtd4u
July 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Well I'll keep the talley going:

guidinggirl - 23
Snowcamper - 10
sarapdot - 8.8
sharonella - 11
doughboy - 15
heids32 - 2
txcdeni - 23
sharonella - 11.5
tvtd4u - 14.5

let's get serious now!!!!!! Only 9 weeks until September - that's 9 more pounds!!!! at least.

Thankfully I have 15 weeks until my cruise...but I want at least 15 more pounds and 5% body fat off !!!! Now I'm at 23% and I want 18 or less... this is one of the keys folks.... not just the weight but the body fat....this will give us energy to do all the excursions during the day and dance at night and eat all that good food.

sharonella
July 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
I'm looking at only 30 pounds...but also hope for at least 10% body fat lose.

Started at 250 in January...not fat-fat, just large..big boned...mostly muscle... was an "American Gladiator" contestant 10 years ago.(28% body fat)

Oho! I somehow missed the American Gladiator bit 1st time I read your post! My BF & I used to watch that ALL the time! (We were such couch potatoes, that that was our only exercise for the week - watching other people sweat!)

How did you do in your competition??

tvtd4u
July 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Oho! I somehow missed the American Gladiator bit 1st time I read your post! My BF & I used to watch that ALL the time! (We were such couch potatoes, that that was our only exercise for the week - watching other people sweat!)

How did you do in your competition??

Ahhhhh the good old days. Back then I was 230+ with under 20% body fat. and 6'3". In the tryouts for American Gladiator they designed the single elimination event so big guys like myself wouldn't make it. (25 pull full pull ups in 30 seconds - I did 19) so I got cut before I started. They didn't want their "Gladiators" looking "normal" or not very big standing next to someone who was almost as big as they were. They wanted contestants that were small.
But it was fun.

Now I have to turn that muscle that turned to fat back into muscle.

sharonella
July 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Ahhhhh the good old days. Back then I was 230+ with under 20% body fat. and 6'3". In the tryouts for American Gladiator they designed the single elimination event so big guys like myself wouldn't make it. (25 pull full pull ups in 30 seconds - I did 19) so I got cut before I started. They didn't want their "Gladiators" looking "normal" or not very big standing next to someone who was almost as big as they were. They wanted contestants that were small.
But it was fun.

I guess they didn't want to pick on anyone their own size!!:rolleyes: How many full pullups could they do in 30 seconds??

Well, you did it before & you can do it again! Good luck!

heids32
July 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
guidinggirl - 23
Snowcamper - 10
sarapdot - 8.8
sharonella - 11
doughboy - 15
heids32 - 4 (mine looks pretty sad compared to you guys! Good incentive!)
txcdeni - 23
sharonella - 11.5
tvtd4u - 14.5

Woo-hoo! Added two to my loss! Despite the office birthday party! I was pretty scared! The puzzles were are great idea! Haven't checked out that website yet, but I have a couple books:)
Here's to next week! Hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July!
Heidi

snowcamper
July 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Good news! FINALLY got the bike fixed up, air in the tires, & my new helmet & gloves - ready to ride around the "Great North Woods" of Lancaster & Jefferson NH this long holiday weekend. We're even staying at a place with a pool & a gym, so I will DEFINITELY be working out this weekend! We've also got a fridge in the room, so I can bring healthy snacks, fruit & yogurt, etc., & not have to eat out all weekend! The hotel has a great soup & salad bar, too - lots of veggies!

How was the weekend? NH sure got beautiful weather for Sat and Sunday! my campground was full to capacity, I didn't even count how many I turned away as I ran out of sites. Did you get in all the activity you planned - usually just getting out and enjoying the sites really adds up to a lot of steps on the ole pedometer! I didn't wear mine this weekend, should have - I was busy! It's Sunday evening now, the campers are enjoying Karaoke, and the store is quiet. Think I'll sleep for 24 hours tomorrow night and get rejuvenated. I plan to get back to Curves come Tuesday morning and get back on track for my cruise - 4 months and 6 days to go!

I hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend!

txcdn1
July 5th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Help....I've fallen off the wagon and can't seem to curb my eating. I've been extremely busy at work and unable to go to the gym. On top of all that I went to my sisters and gave in to the EVIL potato chips! Now I just can't seem to get my willpower back. I'm scared to weigh in this week. Suggestions please!:o :( :confused: Jill

sharonella
July 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
How was the weekend? NH sure got beautiful weather for Sat and Sunday! my campground was full to capacity, I didn't even count how many I turned away as I ran out of sites. Did you get in all the activity you planned - usually just getting out and enjoying the sites really adds up to a lot of steps on the ole pedometer! I didn't wear mine this weekend, should have - I was busy! It's Sunday evening now, the campers are enjoying Karaoke, and the store is quiet. Think I'll sleep for 24 hours tomorrow night and get rejuvenated. I plan to get back to Curves come Tuesday morning and get back on track for my cruise - 4 months and 6 days to go!

I hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend!

Hi Kathy -

You should have worn the pedometer - you probably would have been SO amazed at the numbers! :eek:

The weather was SUPERB in Lancaster NH - I rode my bike ALL 3 days for a total of FIVE hours on the hilly [mountainous?] roads (the last time I rode my bike was in 2002!) Boy my butt is sore! :p I also "swam around" in the hotel pool (sort of improvised water aerobics - continuously paddling, kicking, "walking" laps, etc.) all 3 days for 20-40 minutes a day. Add in 1 day at the hotel gym with weights & abs, & another with a brisk 45 minute walk (we would have walked longer, but started getting bombed by mosquitos!), and I'd say I did OK for myself! And I feel great! :cool:

Did OK in the eating dept, too. We did eat out a lot - but NO junk. Did eat pasta tho. I don't cook it at home any more (switched to brown rice & whole grains - higher in fiber) so it's treat to have it sometimes when I eat out - got a doggy bag, so made 2 meals of it! It was good for me, too - "mediterranean" style - olives, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil & topped with a bit of parmesan. Heaven! :D And I did have 2 beers - 1 each on Sat & Sun with dinner. My other "splurge".

I don't weigh in again until NEXT Thursday at the chiropractor, but I expect to post a good loss, especially if I can bike that much this weekend, too!

guidinggirl
July 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Great that everyone is adding to the tally. I get to add some more weight to our tally, 2 lbs more. I am so impressed with you Sharonella, I just hope that I can be dedicated enough to get some exercise in while I am on a weeks vacation next week. We are taking off on the motorcycle and heading for Edmonton, about 12 hours away. We will be visiting in laws:rolleyes: that love to sit around the kitchen table and eat and drink, well who doesn't, but I will just have to have a plan of attack and make my intentions known up front as not to hurt any feelings about not indulging too much.

Our Tally is as follows

guidinggirl - 25
snowcamper - 10
sarapdot - 8.8
doughboy - 15
sharonella - 11.5
heids32 - 4
txcdn1 - 23
tvtd4u - 14.5

Total 112.3 lbs = the size of a small seal ( thats alot of blubber) or a long legged beautiful model, I dont' ever remember being that weight.

Txcdn1, don't fret about those Evil Chips, just make like it didn't even happen but get right back at it. I don't know if I would even weigh myself this week? Because if you do have some good days then that is what you have to focus on, not that you had a little set back. A little set back is not a reason to be down on yourself, or we will all be in big trouble after our cruises. It is hard enough to come home let alone try to lose the weight that you will gain, and we know that is the truth, and not fall back into our old routines and put the weight back on. "The yoyo affect" . Let's all be postive these last 9 weeks and enjoy the great outdoor, lean BBQ's and lots of tall glasses of Ice Water with a Lemon on the side. :) All have a great week.

Angela

sarafs
July 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I've just booked a short cruise for September 1, and I would like to loose at least 20 pounds before the trip. (Actually need to loose more, but 20 for the trip will do for now) I am so glad to have this tread for support. I just started yesterday so I hope I can stick to it.

tvtd4u
July 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Help....I've fallen off the wagon and can't seem to curb my eating. I've been extremely busy at work and unable to go to the gym. On top of all that I went to my sisters and gave in to the EVIL potato chips! Now I just can't seem to get my willpower back. I'm scared to weigh in this week. Suggestions please!:o :( :confused: Jill

I know it can be tough when you can't get around your schedule to go to the gym etc.
Don't get down on yourself for eating a chip or two. (small portions!!)
I, too haven't been able to do the exercising that I need. I am in week two of a four week (hopefully) remodell of our kitchen and master bath. I just have enough energy to go to work and climb into bed at the end of a long day. So I just eat small portions. Maybe on weekends will have a taste...small taste of dessert. The key is small portions of unhealthy things and many small portions of good stuff. Know that with those salty bites of two or three chips are you are closer to your healthy weight.....ready for maybe more than two or three bites of lobster....dessert at midnight.

Keep it up Jill.

txcdn1
July 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM
thanks for the support everyone. I'm still halfway off the wagon but hopefully tomorrow I will get back to the gym. My clothes are starting to feel tight but the truth will be told when I weigh myself tomorrow. Until then, Jill:(

txcdn1
July 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Just back from the gym...yeah a loss not a gain. Total 25lbs now. Much better for my moral. Gotta run back to work. Sending best wishes for all those with cruises booked this week and the next few. (and those poor floridians) Jill:)

sharonella
July 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Way to go Jill!:D

snowcamper
July 11th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I can actually record a loss! I am down 4.5 from last week, which sounds great, except that I am 1 pound over where I was a month ago :eek: :mad:
For the record, I am again at having lost 10 pounds since starting this challenge May 2. 40 sure seems a long way off! But I am trying to get myself back into the groove - I really lost it the past month, I've been snacking way too much. So far today - peanut butter and celery for breakfast! Sounds odd, but tasted good!
Hope all in Florida, and those still in the path of Dennis are safe.
Kathy

sharonella
July 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Yay Kathy

Don't fret over the past - you've obviously found the right path again! Keep it up! (or down?!):rolleyes:

And peanutbutter is GREAT for breakfast! I usually just have it on a spoon, or on a banana (I don't like celery!) I've found some "no sugar added" brands (did you know the major brands have added sugar?!):eek: . I've also found some "all natural" brands (just peanuts & salt and don't have whatever keeps the natural oils from separating, so you have to stir.) I've found both at my local supermarket. While they are a bit more expensive, I think it's worth it! Just be sure to have some water or other beverage handy - without the added sugar (to "melt" in your mouth) they are a bit tougher to swallow as easily, but taste great!

sharonella
July 11th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I've just booked a short cruise for September 1, and I would like to loose at least 20 pounds before the trip. (Actually need to loose more, but 20 for the trip will do for now) I am so glad to have this tread for support. I just started yesterday so I hope I can stick to it.

Welcome!

Let us know how you'r doing!

snowcamper
July 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I've found some "no sugar added" brands (did you know the major brands have added sugar?!):eek: . I've also found some "all natural" brands (just peanuts & salt and don't have whatever keeps the natural oils from separating, so you have to stir.) I've found both at my local supermarket. While they are a bit more expensive, I think it's worth it! Just be sure to have some water or other beverage handy - without the added sugar (to "melt" in your mouth) they are a bit tougher to swallow as easily, but taste great!

Have you tried cashew butter - health food store, kind of pricey, but really good. It's a bit creamier than the healthy peanut butter, oils separates out too, but not as dry. A nice change of pace. I don't like celery plain a whole lot, it's just okay, but I like the crunch, and the peanut or cashew butter makes it all taste good. And I've been doing the spoon thing for a long time ;)

tvtd4u
July 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Well I'm down 20 pounds since January...18 since my physical 6 weeks ago.
As I have said before I've been remodeling my kitchen so I haven't had much time to exercise so my weight loss has been by eating smart...not too much junk food and eating smaller portions.
My kitchen now is 80% done so I've started exercising.... riding my bike a couple times a week.....going to the gym to tighten and tone.

I only have a few pounds to go...then lots of toning and increasing aerobic level.

I hope to meet my college football playing son at 225lbs and 15% body fat.... (although he is around 8%)

I know others out there are having success too. Remember it's not just weight loss we want but energy to do all those things we want to do on our cruise.

sharonella
July 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Well I'm down 20 pounds since January...18 since my physical 6 weeks ago.
As I have said before I've been remodeling my kitchen so I haven't had much time to exercise so my weight loss has been by eating smart...not too much junk food and eating smaller portions.
My kitchen now is 80% done so I've started exercising.... riding my bike a couple times a week.....going to the gym to tighten and tone.

I only have a few pounds to go...then lots of toning and increasing aerobic level.

I hope to meet my college football playing son at 225lbs and 15% body fat.... (although he is around 8%)

I know others out there are having success too. Remember it's not just weight loss we want but energy to do all those things we want to do on our cruise.

Way to go Victor! It just goes to show that, while exercise is VERY important, just being very active (moving around a lot) can be a very effective weight management tool. (Congrats on the kitchen remodel, too!)

I just read the current Prevention Magazine (Aug '05?), & they report a study where 2 sets of women were asked to wear pedometers. Half were asked to aim for 10,000 steps a day, & half were asked to walk for 30 minutes a day. The group whose goal was 10K steps lost more weight & averaged over 10K steps per day. I forget how many steps the other group averaged, but it was less than the 1st group, & they lost less weight.

The conclusion the researchers came to was that the "10K step" group added more activity, in general, spread throughout their day, every day, in trying to reach 10K steps, while the "30 min" group treated it as "all or nothing" - if they didn't have time for (or get around to) their 30 min walk, that was it - no "physical activity" that day.

Wearing my pedometer shows me what "shortcuts" I used to take all the time, in the name of doing something "quicker or easier". Now, on purpose, I park my car a little further away, walk down ALL the aisles at the store, walk around the office sometimes instead of just calling or paging, windowshop for a few minutes when I'm in town (in the opposite direction fo where I need to go), or walk around a level at the mall. It takes so little time, and it feels great!

tvtd4u
July 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I have an observation about my gym... noting: some people really have a real problem with walking even though they go to the gym....but...
There are two parking lots at my gym... one small one in front of the gym and one in a parking structure maybe 50 yards from the gym. Many folks stay in their cars waiting for a space to open in the small lot. (what you can't walk 50 yards?) And once in the gym (a two story gym) probably these same people wait for the elevator instead of using the stairs!

So yes, walk...walk....walk.

sharonella
July 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I have to confess, my gym is on the 3rd floor, & I used to take the elevator up all the time. :o At the beginning, carrying my overweight body up 2 flights, plus the loaded gym bag w/sneaks, bath towel, water bottle, shampoo, clothes, etc, was tough! When the elevator was out of order for a few days, I was forced to either take the stairs, or not work out out - since then, I always take the stairs!

Sha

sharonella
July 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Well, I weighed in yesterday - only 1 more lb lost, for a total of 12.5 towards the 40 I was hoping to lose by the end of September. At this rate I won't hit 40 by then, but I'm still very happy :D with my loss so far. (40lbs in 20 weeks was kind of ambitious for me - 2lbs/wk was a bit much to try for!) I'll settle for a solid 20+ gone by then!

I have been exercising diligently, daily, so I believe that even tho the lbs are coming off slowly, I am definitely building muscle. I'm definitely feeling it in my clothes, & I've been bike riding the last 2 weekends & plan to again this weekend.

My next big "goal" is to switch my big meal from supper to lunch. (Supper for us is usually around 8:30, once we get home form work, the gym, etc.) I think that will make a difference in how much I'm losing. I just need to get "used to the idea" first! :p We'd still COOK supper in the evening, but I'd just save my portion for lunch the next day. My boyfriend usually grills everything - chicken or fish & veggies - AND we have a big salad. I could probably just do with the big salad & save the rest for lunch.

One small step........

txcdn1
July 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
wow our thread has been very quiet this past weekend. I have slipped off the wagon once again. We had company for the weekend, lots of revelrie (sp?), food, chips etc. I did get a little exercise at the beach yesterday, body surfing and playing monkey in the middle with our friends kids. Oh well, back to reality again. I must go to the gym today. I didn't weigh in this week but promise to soon. Keep the good fight going, September is lurking on the horizon. Jill:D

sharonella
July 20th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Hi Jill, I feel off the exercise wagon this weekend! I was such a slug! Then Mon & Tues I started eating (pigging out, really) after supper (but I did go to the gym those days!) I'm writing this here so I can just 'fess up, and move on! :o

Tonight I'm planning to leave work ON TIME so I can get to the gym in time to take my first aerobics class in AGES. I've been doing weights for strength training & then the ellipse machines, treadmill, my mountain bike & walking putdoors for aerobic activity. But I need to "kick it up a notch" - by having to keep up with a step class - rather than just working out "at my own pace" -- although riding my bike has been challenging at times - both on the mountain roads of New Hampshire, & then getting lost the other weekend in the neighboring town - my 14 mile ride turned into a 20 mile ride!)

I am determined that next week's weigh in will be a loss!

And I hope the fact that this thread has been quiet means that everyone is outdoors, moving around, having summer fun! :p

Sha

txcdn1
July 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Well it finally caught up with me....all my cheating and lazy ways. I gained 1.5lbs this week. :o :o All I can do is learn from my mistakes and get back on the wagon. I just received my confirmation for my cruise so hopefully that will be enough incentive for now. I challenge us all to drink our water today! Have a great weekend, Jill:)

sharonella
July 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Jill, I am sorry for your gain, but if I don't stop pigging out after supper, like I have done every night this week, I will be right there with you! :(

I've gotten back to exercising every day:D , & have my weekend planned for bike riding on the mountain roads of New Hampshire - but the food after 9pm is just killing me! I haven't been this way in months - since September, really. Maybe getting away this weekend will help me break this new BAD habit I developed!

Actually, I goofed with my days this week & got to the gym by 5:30 on Weds, only to find out that the step class is on Thurs! :o Still did a great workout on Weds, & made the step class yesterday! VERY invigorating, although very frustrating - I was a little dissapointed in the instructor. I haven't stepped in ages, & told her so at the beginning of class. I should have also told her that I know I need to do low impact - which means no jumping & leaping - one foot always has to stay on the floor. It's a "knee" thing. Anyway, her routine was loaded with leaps, jumps & turning jumps (the worst!), that I just cannot do safely. I remembered some of the "low impact" modifications from "the old days" & was able to incorporate some of them, but some of her combinations went from move to move & leap to turn so quickly, it was very hard to keep up & figure out what to do & how to do them so I wouldn't hurt myself. I ended up having to stop & march in place several times until she went to a new combination. I was too frustrated & upset to say anything to her at the time, but next time I see her, I need to say something.

I just know it's things like that that turn off people like me who really need to do an aerobic class, but end up quitting after one try, because they just can't seem to keep up, or they end up with joint pain. A good instructor is supposed to show high AND low impact moves & modifications, so beginners can keep up with advanced steppers in the same class. I've been in classes with instructors like that (that's how I learned the low impact modifications I DO know), & it's great, everyone can keep up at their own level, & everyone gets a great workout! I mean, the advanced steppers already know the advanced moves, it's us beginners & low impact people that need help to keep from accidentally hurting ourselves! I'll give her one more chance after I talk to her, but if she can't offer me low impact moves in her class, I just won't be able to do it - I won't have a choice! :( And I was SO excited about finally feeling ready to add a step class to my weekly routine!

txcdn1
July 23rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Sharonella, I too returned to step class today. It is actually called "train with a trainer" I had forgotten how hard it is to step in time and turn and breath! We also had one of the instructors that didn't show modifications for low impact. My knees are also rebelling tonight. She had us jogging around the track after stepping. I was so relieved when she said she was moving to upper body but then she only did one quick set of arms! Oh well, it was still great to mix up my exercise routine. Going to Houston tomorrow in search of a new swimsuit, wish me luck, Jill:eek:

sharonella
July 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Hey Jill!

I hope you found the suit you wanted!

I think the best aerobic/step instructors are the ones who used to be heavier, or at least have had to struggle a bit with their weight or fitness levels. They know what it's like! I used to go to another gym (4 years ago) & there was a great instructor there. I took her class 2x week! One day she was sick & there was a sub. The sub was 20-something, tall & skinny, & was bouncing all over the place. Of course her routines & combinations were different than what I was used to, so I did expect to have to "try harder" to keep up with them. I was even kind of excited about "shaking up" my routine a bit - do something "new". But this woman didn't show a single modification, everything was "super high" impact - high leaps, turns, kicks, big arms etc. She kept cheerily encouraging us to jump higher & "show more energy". The last straw was when she told us in her annoyingly cheery voice that we just weren't showing enough enthusiasm, & weren't any of us ever cheerleaders when we were in school? :eek: I practically fell off my step with my jaw hanging open. This woman was totally clueless. She had a class where at least half of us were 40+ and / or overweight, AND struggling to keep up, & she had NO idea how insulting that was to us. Needless to say, I never did one of her classes again.

That gym also had a quarterly "rating" system, where you could rate the instructors whose classes you took. I made sure to note my comments, but I still never took her class again. Being fat is so emotional at times, isn't it? I felt like I was back in grade school, being picked last for teams, or being "put in my place" by one of the snobby "in" girls. (I wasn't fat in grade school - just unathletic & somewhat nerdy, and definitely NOT "in"!)

Thanks for letting me vent!:p

Sha

guidinggirl
July 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Great to hear that you are all still with it even though summer holds vacations, visitors and lots of socializing!!! I made it back from the inlaws and managed to stick true to my eating plan. My mother in law was a little miffed that I was staying away from her baking even when she put it on the table under my nose:mad: . I think she was jealous that I am able to have the will power.

I got on the scale on Monday and I am still losing for a total of 27 lbs. I don't think that I will make the 40 lbs by Sept. but as long as the weight is still coming off that is good for me. My cruise isn't until Nov 26 so hopefully I will have reached my goal by then.

We are away again next week. I must admit that I am getting worn down with fighting the urges for quick easy fast food ( up until now I have been getting the roasted chickens from the grocery store and putting a hunk on a bed of salad for my fast food fix) It's a good thing that I like chicken. My hubby says that he feels like he is going to start clucking soon. All have a great day and stay cool!!!!

Angela
Century Nov 26,05

keeper236
July 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I'm in I am 5 down and 15 to go for our Sept 19 sail date...getting ready to hit the tread mill just made a pit stop here first

sharonella
July 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Jodi - Congratulations! Keep up the good work!:D

Angela - That must have been so tough at the in-laws! :eek: You are doing way better on the food than me. :D I'm actually OK at meals & during the day. But at night after supper, watch out! It's not even "junk food" sometimes - it's just that I feel the need to keep eating something after supper! This week hasn't ben so bad, so far, but last week was AWFUL. And I weigh in tomorrow. Ack!

(PS - I like the roasted chickens too - fast, easy & good! But my boyfriend likes to grill all the time, so we only get those when the weather is too bad to grill!)

Sha

keeper236
July 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Had lunch at Culver's yesterday with the family , MMmmm butter burger, but I was good and ate only 1/4 of the fries and I held firm to willpower and no matter how much my hubby wanted to split a frozen custard I refused. Since we ate that lunch at 130pm I wasn't hungry for dinner at all, at 7pm ate a big handfull of grapes. The heat wave broke so I walked my two miles outside through the neighborhood. Lifted weights this morning. My personal goal today is to be able to wear my Banana Republic silk wrap around dress on the cruise, it was so tight in the arms. Still tight but much better now.

txcdn1
July 28th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Well I will have to weigh in again tomorrow. I did go to Houston and had a terrible day! Not only did I not find my swimsuit, I had a fight with my daughter and lost $50.00 out of my pocket. Oh well, it was the money I won playing poker with friends. My husband thinks it's Karma as I didn't repay him the $10.00 entry fee he paid for me. On a brighter note I did finally get my swimsuit at Dillards this week. I still would like to lose a little bit more off my inner thighs before I wear it without a skirt. I too don't think I will make 40lbs by september but I won't give up trying.
See ya'll back here tomorrow for weigh in, Jill:)

txcdn1
July 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM
It must be muscle!! No gain no lose still 25lbs. Oh well, must keep the faith! Good luck to everyone else, Jill:(

sharonella
July 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Well, yesterday was the "big weigh in" - I gained .5 lbs in 2 weeks. :( I really thought it would be more, but those daily workouts saved me! I even lost .7% body fat in the last 4 weeks - must be from the workouts! I just need to curb those evening cravings....... Well this gain means that I have only lost a total of 12 lbs towards the 40 I hoped to lose - only 28 more to go to the end of Sept!:rolleyes: Frankly, at this point, I will be very happy with just 8 more!

I bought a padded gel seat for my bike yesterday, & some sort of fancy gadget for my bike that's supposed to be a combination speedometer, odometer, digital clock, etc (12 functions!) Sounds like fun! And it was only about $15 at Wal-Mart! Maybe it will be like my pedometer - compelling me to ride a little further each time, just to get those numbers up! :p

Have a great weekend all! I expect to do a lot of walking on Saturday (we're going to an antique tractor show) & bike riding on Sunday (got to try out the new equipment!)

Sha

Sarapdot
July 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Well, just got back from weighin, again! Lost another .2, that must be my trend for the week. I have lost .2 everytime I weighed in this week. So that's a total of .6 for the week. I don't think I will make it to 40 pounds by sept., but I have set a new personal goal of 20 pounds by my Oct. 30th cruise. I feel confident that I can at least reach that.:p

sharonella
July 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Jodi - I'm not sure I even want to know what a butter burger is........ sounds like it would be a new favorite - even tho I don't eat much red meat any more! :p

Jill - no loss - no gain! Woohoo! And hooray on the new suit -- sorry for your other "loss" tho! :( I had my niece sew me this rectangle wrap from a piece of "jungle" cloth she found in a remnant bin. I wrap it aound my waist - sort of "floats" over the legs just past the knees, & I'm good to go! The material cost under $5, I paid her $10, & it's machine washable (gentle), unlike those $50+ wraps I've seen in the shops!

Have a great weekend all!
Sha

PrincessMelody
July 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I enjoyed reading all of your posts, and I have been inspired by all of you. I am trying to lose for a September cruise too...

Here is where I am at:

All time high in 2001...275 lbs. at 5'8"
Lost some weight since then off and on.

Started diet again June 1st...weight: 189
Weight as of July 30...173

Lost 16 lbs. since June 1, hoping to lose 13-15 more by 9/17

Ultimate goal weight: 135 (maybe by the end of the year?)

Good luck everyone!!:)

txcdn1
July 30th, 2005, 10:42 PM
WOW Trinity. What are you doing to lose weight. That's pretty impressive. Oh and welcome. Jill:)

PrincessMelody
July 30th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Jill!! :)

I first started dieting when I was up to 275, I did Slimfast...2 shakes a day, and then I'd eat a decent dinner. Did that for about 6 or 8 months, got down to 240...then I switched to Atkins. On that I got down to about 190 in roughly a year. Then I went off everything for a year or so. Now I'm back on track, and watching calories, fat, and carbs...and down to 173. And I'm actually exercising some!! Sorry to be so wordy, it has just been such a long hard process. I have to struggle for every ounce I lose...and yet I can EASILY put on 5 pounds in a week...

keeper236
July 31st, 2005, 10:14 PM
Trinty you rock girl!

sharonella
August 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jill!! :)

I first started dieting when I was up to 275, I did Slimfast...2 shakes a day, and then I'd eat a decent dinner. Did that for about 6 or 8 months, got down to 240...then I switched to Atkins. On that I got down to about 190 in roughly a year. Then I went off everything for a year or so. Now I'm back on track, and watching calories, fat, and carbs...and down to 173. And I'm actually exercising some!! Sorry to be so wordy, it has just been such a long hard process. I have to struggle for every ounce I lose...and yet I can EASILY put on 5 pounds in a week...

Yay Trinity!
If you can lose weight like that without exercise - imagine what you could do WITH exercise! WOW!

This past month, I feel I am a walking billboard for the power of exercise - the last several weeks I've had a real hard time with cravings (mostly chocolate), & was eating everything in sight after dinner. If hadn't totally stuck to my daily exercise routine, (I actually added a few minutes here & there when I could - especially on the weekends), I truly believe I could have packed on up to 10 lbs in the past month! :eek: Instead, I have a net loss of .5 lb for the last 4 weeks!:p

Don't worry about exercising for huge chunks of time - just adding something like a few 10 minute walks a week, whenever you can fit them in is an excellent start. Do only as much as you can, as often as you can - don't think "if I can't devote 30 minutes or more, it's not worth it!" When you have more time, do more!

Keep up the good work!
Sha

PrincessMelody
August 2nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the encourgement Sha!! I know I need to exercise more, but like you said, I was thinking that 5 or 10 minutes here or there wouldn't be enough to make a difference. Thanks for setting me straight!! I am really going to try, because I know there will come a time when dieting alone isn't going to cut it. If you have any tips on staying motivated, or what is working for you, please share!!:)

BTW, Congrats to you on your success!!!:D

sharonella
August 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the encourgement Sha!! I know I need to exercise more, but like you said, I was thinking that 5 or 10 minutes here or there wouldn't be enough to make a difference. Thanks for setting me straight!! I am really going to try, because I know there will come a time when dieting alone isn't going to cut it. If you have any tips on staying motivated, or what is working for you, please share!!:)

BTW, Congrats to you on your success!!!:D

Trinity - I read recently in Prevention Magazine about a study where they gave people pedometers to wear all day, & told them to do their usual routine & way of eating. Except - they told half the people to try to walk at least 30 min a day, & the other half to try to reach 10,000 (10K) steps per day. After the study was over, they found that the 10K steppers had averaged more steps per day & lost a few more lbs than the ones who tried to walk 30 min/day. Their conclusion was that the 10K people added steps & activity throughout the day, while the others had an "all or nothing" attitude - if they couldn't fit in a whole 30 min walk for whatever reason, then there was usually no added activity for the day. So every minute af additional activity counts! If you promise yourself to do SOMETHING active every day for at least 10 minutes, you may find that once you've started, you keep going a while longer!

I joined a gym, & I really like it! Usually I work on the ellipse - it's hooked up to a TV so I can watch my favorite programs! But I know I have to "mix it up", so I do the treadmill every now & then, too. I also do a 1 hr "flex class" 1x week, (free wts, abs, leg exercises, etc), & 1/2 hr abs class/week. I do the weight machines at least 1x week (I know I should do it at least 2x to get the best benefit!) I'm also trying to add a step class 1x week, as my sched allows. On weekdays, I spend about 90 minutes at the gym after work every day. On weekends, I mostly ride my bike or walk.

But my "big thing" was getting a pedometer (as someone else in these forums recommended!). I set it to the step mode & count steps (rather than miles - about $4 at Wal-Mart). I wear it ALL the time & keep track of the steps daily. It made me aware of how sedentary my desk job is, & now I look for "excuses" to get up from my desk several times a day & go talk to people, rather than just pick up the phone & page them when I need something. I also park further from the front door wherever I go, & than take a few minutes to window shop, or take a stroll in the opposite direction. If I'm at the mall - instead of just going where I need to shop, I take whatever time I can & "mall walk" briskly around 1 or both levels.

I used to drink 3-4 cans of diet coke per day, & now only have 1 - I just don't "need" the extra caffeine anymore! I get as much energy from a brisk walk around the building as I ever did from all that caffeine or a hi-cal snack! A natural metabolism booster!

For me, going to the gym works. Everyone in my life knows I go to the gym every day. If I don't go, then I have to come up with a GOOD excuse why not! The only thing that I'm usually missing is TV - & I can watch that atthe gym! The lame excuses I've given myself for not going to the gym sound even lamer when I have to say them out loud to my BF or co-worker! :rolleyes: Even if I have to go somewhere after work, I try to fit in at least 1/2 hr at the gym first.

For other people - just walking & being more active works for them. My mom lost about 100 lbs 15 yrs ago with walking being her main form of exercise! (Of course, she would walk with my dad who is about 10 inches taller - she had to work to keep up with him sometimes!) Buying some free wts or exercise bands (not very expensive at places like Wal-Mart) can help you with strength training at home whenever you have a few minutes - even in front of the TV!

Trinity - I want to say again how absolutely amazed I am at how much weight you've lost & kept off with diet alone. Adding ANY exercise AT ALL will only help to increase your weight loss!

Keep up the good work!
Sha

PrincessMelody
August 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Oh my gosh Sha, I am so in awe of you!! Your dedication to exercise and going to the gym is amazing!!! I have always wanted to exercise more, but I just can't seem to find the motivation...its like I just dread it so much, that I find it nearly impossible to get started. I really appreciate the advice, and I really like the idea of the pedometer, and I am definitely going to get one, and try for the 10,000 steps a day. It would be a start! I just wish I could break through whatever mental block or extreme lack of motivation I have and get on a regular fitness plan...be it going to the gym, or working out at home, or whatever. Its like I would rather do ANYTHING than exercise!:eek: You are quite an inspiration. Do you ever find yourself just not wanting to do it any more? What keeps you going? I wish you you lived near me, we could be workout buddies!!

BTW, thanks Keeper!! Are you getting close to your goal?

sharonella
August 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Don't be in awe of me, please! - I think I have a bit of an "addictive" personality - right now, it's exercise! I'm hoping that I don't fall off the wagon this time (last time, I had some huge dental problems, & the pain was worse after exercising.) It took me almost 3 months to get the teeth sorted out, & I didn't get back to the gym for almost 2 yrs! (& I put most of the weight back on!) But I'm 47 now, & just too "old" to keep doing this yoyo thing to my body!

Don't get me wrong - any age is the right age to lose weight & get healthy - it's never too late for that, it's just NOT healthy to have to keep doing it over & over, like I have!

Just don't think of exercise as a bad thing! You just need to find something you like to do! And like to do a lot! I sometimes think if the gym didn't have tv hooked up to some of the machines, I wouldn't like to go as often as I do! And I LOVE my bike! It gives me a kick to drive along where I've ridden & tell people, "You know, I rode up that hill last week!"

Just promise yourself 10 minutes of whatever...... and you'll be adding up the minutes in NO time!

Oh - and start small with the pedometer - aim for 5,000 then 6,000 to start - my average right now is almost 10,000!

Sha

PrincessMelody
August 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Well I am still in awe of you!!;) I am going to try and do better. The pedometer is a start. I am still trying to figure out something fitness-wise that I enjoy doing. I am just so intimidated by the gym, you know? I have been before, and I feel so dumb and out of place. Everyone there looks so confident, and I just don't have a clue!

BTW, I am 37, and I know that the longer I wait to get in shape, the harder it will be. I need to do SOMETHING.

sharonella
August 3rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Trinity -
I started writing a long wordy reply, then lost it! Maybe I'll be briefer this time! :p

In order to build up your confidence at a gym, you need to be shown how to use the equipment. A good gym offers at least one FREE 1-hr session with a personal trainer when you join. (Not just the front desk person - If they don't offer this, check another gym!) Use this time to set up a workout schedule - alternating weight training with aerobic workouts. In this session, you wouldn't actually get much of a workout, but you'll do a few reps on each weight machine s/he shows you how to use, at the proper weight. And have the trainer show you how to use an aerobic machine or two - ellipse, treadmill and/or stationery bike. Don't let them waste your hour trying to sell you on more sessions, weight loss or protein supplements, or a nutrition plan. You can always sign on for more sessions later, & you're hopefully doing OK in the nutrition dept to get where you are! Note: When adding more exercise to your daily regimen, you may want to add a few more ounces of protein per day, & definitely drink more water! Speaking of water, some gyms have a pool (or join the Y), where you can swim laps on your own, or take swimming classes or water aerobics.

When you work up the nerve to try a step, pilates, yoga or whatever class, tell the instructor before class that you are new & would appreciate being shown low impact or beginner moves, to get you started. Also, if you have a bad back or "trick knee", now's the time to speak up! After class, be sure to tell the instructor where you had any problem with the moves, & if she has any suggestions how to overcome it next time. If you are taking step class for the first time - make sure your step is the LOWEST it can be, & if you get out of breath, do the moves on the floor, without the step. Remember - Everyone is a beginner at one time or another!

Or you can always do it at home - get some workout tapes - they have all kinds! Aerobics, step, buns & abs, yoga, pilates, etc. I wouldn't recommend doing yoga or pilates for the first time just with a tape - I think those would be better after you had already had a trained person show you some proper form. Or do something outdoors - biking, walking, hiking, softball. At the Y you can try all sorts of classes - martial arts, belly dancing(!), ballroom dancing, line dancing, swimming, water aerobics.

Bottom line - DO something - ANYTHING - until you find something you like!

(And believe it or not, this post is shorter than the one I lost!):eek:

txcdn1
August 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hey where has everyone gone? I'm still in a slump. Unable to get past my current loss. I'm not gaining either but it looks like I won't make my "40lbs by September" I need to book a re-evaluation at the gym to see how many inches I may have lost. Maybe that will make me feel better. I'm finding it very hard not to cheat. Stocking up on low cal, low fat snacks. Have a great day everyone. Jill:)

sharonella
August 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hey where has everyone gone? I'm still in a slump. Unable to get past my current loss. I'm not gaining either but it looks like I won't make my "40lbs by September" I need to book a re-evaluation at the gym to see how many inches I may have lost. Maybe that will make me feel better. I'm finding it very hard not to cheat. Stocking up on low cal, low fat snacks. Have a great day everyone. Jill:)

Hey Jill - Sometimes your body just needs "a break" - so as long as you're maintaining - relax! (They say stress can make you "hold on" to your body's fat stores! Aacckk!:eek: So don't let the fat win!:p ) Let us know how the reevaluation goes! You'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

My next weigh in is Thurs afternoon & I think I'll do better than my last 2 weigh ins! 2 weeks ago I gained .5 lb & 2 weeks before that I only lost 1 lb. I definitely won't be losing 40 by the end of Sept, either, at that rate! But I finally pretty much lost those evening munchies that plagued me for about 4 weeks, & have really "revved up" my bike riding on the weekends - so I am cautiously optimistic for Thurs. I'll let you know on Friday!

And - In addition to my regular multi in the AM, I've been taking additional supplements with my evening meal - calcium+D, magnesium, b-vitamin complex, fish oil capsules (for the omega-3 & 6 - on days I don't eat salmon). I think the supplements might be helping combat the cravings & uncontrolled munchies - by making sure I have all the nutrients I need, so my body doesn't start grazing in order to find what it needs!

Have a good summer!
Sha

tvtd4u
August 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I"ve dropped from 251 to 230 since January, with most of that coming in since March.
I have a job that from the outside looks very stressfull. But having done this since 1984+ I can almost sleep through it. But occationally I get to be the big boss. The person in charge. With the entire program on my shoulders. This I did for two weeks in March....dropped 5 pounds. STRESS. Now I'm doing the big job for two weeks and again for a week next month. STRESS. I will be down to 222 by the middle of September.
Stress is one way to lose weight.
Oh I'm still eating healthy and exercising when I can although this job doesn't give me much time.

Keep losing!!!

sharonella
August 10th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I"ve dropped from 251 to 230 since January, with most of that coming in since March.
I have a job that from the outside looks very stressfull. But having done this since 1984+ I can almost sleep through it. But occationally I get to be the big boss. The person in charge. With the entire program on my shoulders. This I did for two weeks in March....dropped 5 pounds. STRESS. Now I'm doing the big job for two weeks and again for a week next month. STRESS. I will be down to 222 by the middle of September.
Stress is one way to lose weight.
Oh I'm still eating healthy and exercising when I can although this job doesn't give me much time.

Keep losing!!!

I certainly don't want to add to your stress levels (unless it will make you lose more weight!:p ) but maybe you should think about trying to keep a diet & exercise journal over the next few weeks, during both the stressful AND non-stressful times. Then, when it's all over, compare the two. You may find that you are actually eating less, or literally "running around" more. If you don't already have one, get a pedometer ($4 at Wal-Mart) to help compare your activity levels. Just because you can't find the time to do "real" exercise, you might be moving around more!

Don't worry about counting calories in your journal, just what you eat, how much, & what time you ate it. Don't forget the "hidden calories", like added butter, salad dressing, etc. Include water & all beverages. Maybe even note what time you get up & go to bed. Include ALL exercise - even that 5 minute walk you take around the building to "clear your head"!

I keep a food journal every now & then for a few weeks, just to check on my portions & how much water I drink. But I always track my exercise & steps for the day.

Lots of articles & diet aids are out there regarding stress & how it does something to the insulin production in your body & that makes you hold onto fat (especially in the belly area, as you get older). Maybe you are able "turn on" your metabolism when you're stressed, which seems the opposite to what's in the news & advertisements these days! Some people are actually energized when faced with stress - you sound like one of those luck people!

good luck!

sharonella
August 10th, 2005, 12:38 PM
oops!

Doughboy
August 11th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I am back. I have been reading the past posts and trying to get caught back up. I am really going to use this for support. I have now lost a total of 20 pounds. This past few days I didn't just fall off of the wagon, it rolled over me to!!!

I have moved locations in my office and the hallway that I am in now eat all of the time. They are forever bringing treats and going to lunch. I am in big trouble. Our cruise is in 5 weeks. I need to button my lips and give the treadmill a real workout.

Congrats to you all in your weight losses.

sharonella
August 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Doughboy -
Congrats on the 20lbs & welcome back!

Get back on the wagon - we're all here for you! That's going to be tough with all the food in your new work area, but be strong! Make sure you bring your own healthy snacks so you have something to nibble on - Maybe you'll start a new trend & be a good example for the others! :D

I had my weigh in yesterday - 3lbs lost in 2 weeks - for a total of 15 lbs towards 40 - only 25 more to go!:p

I rode 48 miles on my bike :eek: last weekend, & if the weather holds, I intend to do that almost every weekend thru September. I won't lose 25 by the end of Sept, but I should be able to lose at least 3 every 2 weeks! And my vaca is t the end of the month - I won't be near my gym, but my bike will be with me!

Sha

snowcamper
August 17th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I just went back and looked at the early posts on this thread. I am at exactly the same weight I was on May 16th :( which means I am still down 6 1/2 pounds, which is a long way from 40! I have no one to blame but myself. If I would just quit snacking on sweets, I'd probably lose without even trying. I can't seem to go a day without grabbing a candy bar or an ice cream, usually both. So, Friday morning I am going to get back on the wagon (I know we are going out to dinner tomorrow, so I will just elimate sugar for the day). Once I taste sugar, I crave more. I wish I could control those cravings! My cruise is less than 3 months away, and I really need to get back on track. No more whining and excuses - I can do this! I will get my pedometer out tomorrow too. (okay, did I sound positive?!)

Kathy

sharonella
August 18th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I just went back and looked at the early posts on this thread. I am at exactly the same weight I was on May 16th :( which means I am still down 6 1/2 pounds, which is a long way from 40! I have no one to blame but myself. If I would just quit snacking on sweets, I'd probably lose without even trying. I can't seem to go a day without grabbing a candy bar or an ice cream, usually both. So, Friday morning I am going to get back on the wagon (I know we are going out to dinner tomorrow, so I will just elimate sugar for the day). Once I taste sugar, I crave more. I wish I could control those cravings! My cruise is less than 3 months away, and I really need to get back on track. No more whining and excuses - I can do this! I will get my pedometer out tomorrow too. (okay, did I sound positive?!)

Kathy
Positively positive, Kathy!:D

Try to have some substitutes handy for the sweets - fresh fruit or veggies, ice cold flavored water, gum... and try to figure out if you are really hungry when you eat that sugar, or just stressed a bit. If it's "just" stress:rolleyes: , try to grab a few minutes during the day - even just 5! - and take a brisk walk - something to clear your head & get your body moving. When I'm feeling "trapped" at my desk, I make an excuse to go down to the printing floor to deliver a message in person. Yesterday, when they had me deliver a package to a customer, I made sure to park a little further away than I had to, so I had a nice little walk in the sunshine!

Also, I'm lucky - I don't have any food, other than what I bring, staring me in the face during the day - there is a candy & soda machine, but they're down on the print floor, so I even forget they're there most of the time - I even bring my own diet soda, so I don't have to buy it next to the candy machine! (It's cheaper, too!) When I have my "munchie" issues, it's at home - when the kitchen is only a few feet away from wherever I am....... I've mostly been able to fight it - because I know I'm not really hungry - I just ate supper!

Well good luck!
Sha

txcdn1
August 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
YAHOOO!!!! Finally down 3 more pounds. I thought my weight would never change again! Good luck everyone else!:)

sharonella
August 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Hooray Jill! I knew you could do it!:D

Sha

reggierail
August 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
I just started August 1, 2005.
I don't know if I'll hit 40 but I'll be close.

Day 21, 28 lbs.

Reggie:D

tvtd4u
August 23rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Started in March at 251.... This is when I started to move towards a healthy body. Wanted to be energetic by Oct. (Anniversary cruise)

Combining Exercise (biking - weights) and smaller portions of eating plus very little fried foods (maybe some french fries once a month)

Now I'm 223 as of this morning. Lot of energy. This past Sunday I rode 15 miles, cleaned my garage. Played tennis for an hour with my daughter.(she's tough..on the high school team)...spent an hour at the golf driving range.... never tired.

That's 28 pounds in 4 months, but more importantly..lots of energy.

Everyone else keep plugging away..... smaller portions!!!!!!

bayouangl
August 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
hello all,
I'm new this site sailing sept. 19th, i would love to join ya'll in losing weight, it would be great to fit into some smaller clothes before the cruise. any information on dieting would be great. thanks alot.:)

sharonella
August 26th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome bayou angel! We always like having new people join us! How much do you hope to lose?

Basic advice -
Portion control, portion control, portion control!
Avoid processed & fast foods
Avoid added fats
Avoid anyting with sugar and white flour
Drink 6-8 8oz glasses of water a day & cut back on caffeine, sodas (with or w/out sugar), sport drinks & juices (whole fruit is better for you
EXERCISE - squeeze in as much as you can (even if you only have time for a 10 min walk - EVERYTHING counts!)
Plus take the stairs all the time (unless you work on the 20th floor - then just take them DOWN, but take a flight or two up, also!)

And there's no reason why you can't do all this on the cruise too - eat everything, but in moderation! You'll still have fun & won't be bloated when you get back!

Good luck & have a great cruise!

And before I forget --
My loss for the last 2 weeks is 2.75, which brings me to 17.25 lost since the beginning of this pledge - obviously a long way from the 40 I hoped. But after the difficulties (munchies!) I had last month, losing between 20-25 by the end of Sept will make me VERY happy! :D

I'm headed off to vacation til the 6th & won't have computer access til after that. I also won't be desk bound & I hope to be moving around - biking, hiking, walking, canoing - every chance I get! I look forward to catching up with you all when I get back!:cool:

Have a great 2 weeks & don't go overboard on those Labor Day cookouts!
Sha

hinditina
August 26th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I am in. I am going on the Carnival Inspiration on 10/01/05. I work at full time job and a part-time. I just started this week, plus going to weight watcher. I am trying to fit in at least 6 day to 5 days working out. So far lost 2 lb. I am trying to maintain as well. :o :o

PrincessMelody
August 27th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I'm back...hope everyone is doing well with their weight loss efforts. Last time I checked in was 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I was at 173, 38lbs. away from my goal of 135. (I'm 5' 9") Now I am at 168, and 33 lbs. to go. Trying to keep it up...Still not really exercising much, just walking after dinner 3 or 4 evenings for 30-40 minutes. This is such a slow process...:(

reggierail
August 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I'm back...hope everyone is doing well with their weight loss efforts. Last time I checked in was 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I was at 173, 38lbs. away from my goal of 135. (I'm 5' 9") Now I am at 168, and 33 lbs. to go. Trying to keep it up...Still not really exercising much, just walking after dinner 3 or 4 evenings for 30-40 minutes. This is such a slow process...:(

Be positive, look at that 5 pounds as a five pound bag of sugar that you no longer have to carry around wherever you go.;)

Reggie:D