What To Do On Our Day In Boston?

Jaigirl

So I just found out TODAY that I will be going on Jewel of the Seas with my mother in law on October 7-14. :D I have officially been put in charge of our day in Boston. We are going up a day early so we will have an entire day to spend there. MIL is 47 and I'm 24 if that helps at all. What do you guys all recommend we do? We would really like to see historical places and maybe do some shopping! Neither one of us have ever been there so we don't really know what to do!

So I just found out TODAY that I will be going on Jewel of the Seas with my mother in law on October 7-14. :D I have officially been put in charge of our day in Boston. We are going up a day early so we will have an entire day to spend there. MIL is 47 and I'm 24 if that helps at all. What do you guys all recommend we do? We would really like to see historical places and maybe do some shopping! Neither one of us have ever been there so we don't really know what to do!

Hello

You are spoiled for choice in this great city. Forget about the shopping :D and see the sights. I had a day and a half there so you could do most of this :

THE FREEDOM TRAIL

Part 1 Boston Common to King's Chapel

The Freedom Trail destinations in this first one are Boston Common, Massachusetts State House, Park Street Church, the Old Granary Burying Ground and King's Chapel.

Part 2 Boston Latin to Paul Revere's house

Boston Latin public school, Benjamin Franklin Statue, Old Corner Bookstore, Old South Meeting House, Old State House, Site of Boston Massacre, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and Paul Revere's house

Part 3 Old North Church to the Bunker Hill Monument

Old North Church, Copp's Hill Burying Ground, the U.S.S. Constitution and finally the Bunker Hill Monument (on Breed's Hill )

That last part is the one that requires most walking as you go out to Charlestown, a neighbourhood of Boston.

USS Constitution

The 20-minute tour of the great ship is free and takes place every 30 minutes but you need photo ID to get past the security check so take your passport with you.

The whole thing is about 3 miles, and there's plenty of other things to see along the way.

NOT THE FREEDOM TRAIL

The Public Garden, Cheers bar, JFK Library/Museum, Fenway Park, a DUKW ride and a sunset harbour cruise

Good luck tour leader !

If you care about history, walking the Freedom Trail is a great idea. You'll walk past cemeteries, churches, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, up to Old Ironsides, and then Bunker Hill.

I usually try to plan to be at Quincy Market by lunchtime, a lot of variety.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there a few hours as a port day -- did the Hop on and off Trolley Tour -- was a great way to see a lot in a short period of time. I saw most of the great list posted by Cornishpastyman1.

Women have to go to the Market, since you have the time. :) I did not take time to go there since I had only a few hours and wanted to see the Gardens and some of the Freedom Trail.

Beautiful city - you will love seeing the sites.... it is a very walkable city as well.

All these highlights sound great - If you have time, do the duck boat tours or one of the other on/off trollys- best way to see a lot in a little bit of time. Check out the Boston pages on GROUPON, they often have 2 for 1 tickets. For night time, take in a show (Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse is a good option). Another nice evening thing is dinner in the North End (Hanover Street). The city has so much, post a little more about what you would like to do, maybe we can throw out some pointers.

Thanks everyone! So far we have decided to do the hop on/off trolley and also do the Freedom Trail. Looking forward to seeing all these great places! We will be in town half the day on October 5th then all day on the 6th then on the boat on the 7th. So we have a day and a half give or take a few hours. My MIL is severely allergic to seafood/shelfish :(. Anyone have any recommendations for lunch/dinners that have some awesome food? Thank you in advance!

The Arnold has some of the worlds best examples of Northern horticulture and arbor in the world.

My fav tree is a perfect one , that is the Franklinia. A purely American tree!

Your able to take T to it too.

Use your CHARLIE CARD.. all aboard!:cool:

Head to the North End for italian.

Treat yourself to a nice steak dinner at Mortons, Ruths Chris, or Smith and Wollensky.

Where are you staying, will you be near a T stop?

Definitely the former.

The latter? Those chains are in every city, save those for another time!

I just recently enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Artú on Charles Street near Beacon Hill. A warm lamb & eggplant panini (which I learned means soft roll not pressed sandwich). YUM! http://www.artuboston.com/

If you eat at the Beacon Hill location you will be near the Public Garden so you can see the Make Way for Ducklings statue and also near Cheers (to see not to eat at), Trinity Church, and the Boston Public Library (go in to see the John Singer Sargent murals).

I see they also have a branch in the North End (Italian district) where the Paul Revere house & Old North Church are located.

• 2 weeks later...
All these highlights sound great - If you have time, do the duck boat tours or one of the other on/off trollys- best way to see a lot in a little bit of time. Check out the Boston pages on GROUPON, they often have 2 for 1 tickets. For night time, take in a show (Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse is a good option). Another nice evening thing is dinner in the North End (Hanover Street). The city has so much, post a little more about what you would like to do, maybe we can throw out some pointers.

If you want to see a show, be aware that there is an outlet for discounted theater tickets (BOSTIX) in both Quincy Market and Copley Square. You will have to go in person that day. Don't expect the huge line like the outlet in NYC. You will not be the only one purchasing, but you will also not have to wait in line for hours! If you want to buy tickets in advance, they have a website also.

Our first New England cruise, we did the Old Town Trolley (hop on hop off). If you purchase your tickets online and print them out, you may save a little bit. We stayed at the Hilton by the airport. We took the water taxi over to Long Wharf, ate at Legal Seafood, and then got on the trolley just around the corner from the Legal Seafood. I think stop #1 was on Atlantic, if I remember correctly. That's where we started our trolley ride.

We hopped off at the Constitution in Charlestown. It was really interesting. We got in the line for the navy lead tour. It was free. There is a security station there to go through like at the airport. Then we walked across and toured the Cassin Young.

The next place we hopped off was the Old Statehouse. That was interesting too. But if you go in the wrong door, you'll be going into the subway. Also there's restrooms in the lower level here.

I wish we would have had time for shopping. The Beacon Hill stop looked very nice for shopping. We just rode the rest of the tour out on the trolley. It was over by 5:00 pm I think. Then we walked over to Quincy Market (just across the street from stop #1). The food court didn't have much seating so we found an officer and he sent us outside and around to Zuma's Mexican. It was good. My husband was tired of seafood and he was glad to get some mexican food.

So that was in 2008. We're going on the Jewel of the Seas again on Oct 14. This time we booked a private guide to drive us around to all the historic sights. I'm hoping to go down to Quincy and tour Peacefield (home of John Adams). Also anticipating seeing some of the sights that the trolley did not see last time.

Have fun on your cruise!! Enjoy Boston!

PS: Have to give a shout out to you. I noticed you are from Russellville. When I was a teenager, I knew another teen there by the name of Blake Fougerousse. I think his dad's name was Joe. Haven't thought of or seen him in decades. (I'm your mother-in-law's age).

Take the T to Copley Place And Boylston St. for shopping .;)

Have lunch at the Top of Hub restaurant up in the Prudential Building.

• 4 months later...

I'm from Maine, and my son lives in Boston.

The Warren Tavern in Charlestown is outstanding.

The Union Oyster House near Quincy Market is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the US. Good food, great atmosphere.

Ned Devine's in the Quincy Market is good for lunch.

Nearly anything in the North End. As you walk the Freedom Trail through the North End, you will think that the only thing they do there is bake cookies and cannolis, and eat at restaurants.

Doyle's pub in Jamaica Plains is 20 minutes from the cruise terminal, and has been voted Boston's best pub for several years. It also has a shuttle bus to the Samual Adams brewery for their tours.

Best thing about Boston? You can walk nearly everywhere, and where you can't the T runs (though the T is one of Boston's quirkiest institutuions, and may be difficult to navigate if you're not used to mass transit).

Everyone gets cookies at Mike's. Modern Bakery (just down the street) usually has less lines, just as good. For my money, though, Bova's, tucked away on Salem street (two blocks off Hanover) wins hands down.

Most of the places in Quincy Market are not outstanding. I would have recommended the Salty Dog, but you mentioned a sea food allergy.

Archived