PDA

View Full Version : Which Ship Goes to Huatulco

Fred C
April 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know which, if any, ship stops at Huatulco, Mexico? Thanks..

VikkiGarcia
April 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Huatulco seems to be only part of transcanal trips. It is too far down in Mexico for a 7 or 10 day trip out of LA.

Fred C
April 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Huatulco seems to be only part of transcanal trips. It is too far down in Mexico for a 7 or 10 day trip out of LA.
Thanks, Vikki, for your response. Fred

VikkiGarcia
April 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Your welcome. It was the prettiest port we hit on our Panama Canal cruise. I would love to go back. It get so few ships that the water is still beautiful . Port is very clean. A great stop.

mii
April 29th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Your welcome. It was the prettiest port we hit on our Panama Canal cruise. I would love to go back. It get so few ships that the water is still beautiful . Port is very clean. A great stop.

This is one of our stops next year on a transcanal cruise on the Coral. I looked at the excursions and I was wandering what you did or anything that you can suggest. I have done a search and not much comes up. Thanks.

marilyn

VikkiGarcia
April 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I could not find much info on it before our trip either. We planned on it being our beach and shopping sort of stop. We thought we would have to take a taxi but it ended up having a great beach right next to the peir. The water is warm, clean. There were chair and umbrellas right there in the sand. They were free to use as long as you ordered drinks. Waiters were not pushy and very few vendors came by. There is a few stores beachside and a souvenir marketplace half a block up for the beach. Prices and quality were better than both Cabo and Acapulco. Huatulco is great. It reminds me of what other Mexico ports were probably like 20 years ago. Any other question feel free to ask.

hmh
April 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
It is also possible to take a taxi up in to the town, which is quite a charming little place, with the usual central square and a beautiful church. The shops at the pier are all quite modern, but the buildings in the town are are old and it is more like PV was when we first went there in 1980.

The pier area is very nice and so is the beach--so it is just a matter of choosing what you want to do. Have been there twice on PC cruises and enjoyed it both times. :) hmh

mii
May 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks Vicky and hmh for your opinions. There is not much info out for these two stops but I am determined to find out anything that I can get my hands on.

marilyn

vickie_bernie
May 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
We just spent two weeks in Huatulco this winter. Loved it. Don't expect a busy town. It is a small town. Huatulco is the name of the area, but the ships dock in Santa Cruz and the town up the hill (walkable if you are energetic, or cheap taxi ride) is called La Crucecita.

La Crucecita is a wonder town, you can walk around the entire town. Must sees are the textile, weaving shop, about three blocks from the main square. Also, have a meal in one of the restaurants that face the main square. Visit the church in Santa Cruz, lots of history here.

For beaches I highly recommend Bahia de Chahue, very quiet, you may be the only ones there. Also recommend Bahia de Maguey. This one will be much busier; however there are some great restaurants here. Taxi are cheap and the prices are set.

I don't recommend booking the bay tour through a large tour company (i.e. the cruise line). We did a bay tour with a small fishing boat for about $20 US each and we were gone for five hours and there were 8 of us. The large tours had over a hundred people on the boats and had to be tendered to the beach, long waits.

you can also take a taxi to Tangolunda Bay where the resorts are located (2.50 cost one way). Go to the Barcelo resort and you pay a fee to stay there for the day. The Gala resort might also have a deal too.

Have fun.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Vickie

MrsBoo
May 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
We're going on the Radiance of the Seas in Oct which stops there. A lot of the tours on the RCI website mentioned dirt roads, so not sure yet what we'll do there.

c-to-sea
May 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM
A lot depends on how long the ship is in port. We were just there May 1 and arrived 10am,
left at 5PM. Like neighbours on 2 previous cruises, we opted for a beach day. Being
Sunday, there were a lot of local families on the beach and we had an interesting
chat with some of them. Paid $5 for lounge chairs in the shade.

More information on Huatulco at http://www.tomzap.com/huatulco.html