PDA

View Full Version : Symphony Questions

riverscote
April 30th, 2005, 12:07 AM
My husband's annual employee incentive trip is scheduled this year to cruise the Mediterrean on the Symphony May 21st-26th. We are American and have previously cruised, but only with Princess to the Caribbean and Mexico and I feel very much in the dark about this entire upcoming experience. I've checked out Crystal cruises website and numerous posts here (which have all been very informative - thank you!). Unfortunately, I am unsure of how many of the services and amenties will be available to us, but I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to assist with...

1) Hair Dryer - do I need to bring one? From my understanding we will be on the Penthouse deck (no specific suite assignment made yet).

2) Plugs/Outlets - do you need to purchase anything special to use your own appliances?

3) Tipping - should we plan to tip in Euro or is the American dollar acceptable?

Probably will think of more questions as we prepare for this once in a lifetime experience! Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Mary

WillB
April 30th, 2005, 04:47 AM
1) Hair Dryer - do I need to bring one? From my understanding we will be on the Penthouse deck (no specific suite assignment made yet).

2) Plugs/Outlets - do you need to purchase anything special to use your own appliances?

3) Tipping - should we plan to tip in Euro or is the American dollar acceptable?

There are two hair dryers. One in the bathroom that doesn't work very well, and one in the desk which works fine.

Symphony runs on standard American current so you don't need any converters.

The staff will take Euros or dollars. Your choice.

Keith1010
April 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
As for tipping, you can also charge your tips to your shipboard account and then it will be charged to your credit card. Towards the end of the cruise they will give you vouchers showing the tip for each person that you've noted, and you can either put the vouchers in envelopes and hand them to those that you plan to tip or do nothing as the employees will automatically be notiified about the tips.

Hope you and your husband have a great cruise. In the meantime if you have any additional questions, please ask. When you get back from your cruise it would be great if you could let us all know what you thought of your first cruise on Crystal.

Bon Voyage!!

Keith

sailorgirl
April 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Having cruised on two Princess cruises as well as Crystal Symphony, I can assure you that you will be thrilled with the better dining experience of Crystal. The service and food is superior. I'm sure you will find everything you need in your suite. Expect a bit more formality. You're very fortunate to have this trip. Enjoy!

Judith02
May 5th, 2005, 06:52 AM
As newbies, would you and any of your friends like to sign up for the Share the Experience program we are doing. It is a program sponsored by Crystal this year where the newbies who are matched with past passengers get on board credits. If you want us to try to make a match, send a way of contacting you and your friends, we have three past passengers on your cruise. Each on may sponsor three staterooms of new passengers. Let us know very quickly as this would have to be done almost immediately. We'll be happy to match you. Judith

riverscote
May 16th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Hi Judith... I really didn't think that this program would apply to our cruise as the entire ship has been chartered by my husband's company from the 21st-26th (only his fellow employees will be on board). I'm curious as to which coworkers could have sponsored us - I assume our time is up as we leave for Rome on Friday.

Thank you for thinking of us though - it would have been a lovely "treat" to have some shipboard credits.

nic
May 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Judith did you check to see if Remi will be on the Symphony November 6, 2005??

Judith02
May 19th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Right now he is maitre d' for Jade Garden and Prego as Leo Assmair returned last cruise from his vacation and they alternate in the Dining Room. I know he has his schedule but since we weren't going to be on Symphony again until March, I didn't ask him. Write to JValdez@crystalcruises.com -- the liaison for Symphony -- closer to your cruise and ask him to find out for you.

nic
May 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Any recommendations for favorite butler?
thanks,
Nic

kitty9
May 23rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Remi will leave for vacation sometime in June and will be back on in late August. We asked him about his schedule as we're going to be on the Symphony on August 23.

As for butlers, my favorite has been Waldo. He's been the butler on two of my cruises. I thought he would move to the Serenity, but he stayed put on the Symphony.

nic
May 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. Did you request Waldo or were you lucky? Glad to hear Remi will be back in August.