Review First time on PG

DGK

We just returned from a fabulous experience and wanted to thank everyone for all their support assisting us plan this very special trip. I thought I would add a newbie perspective as we just finished our first PG cruise ( same itinerary as Emdee ) plus first time in F.P. and first time snorkelers. We did a pre-cruise stay including one night at IC followed by 3 nights at Hilton Moorea in OWB #103 which had exceptional views including wonderful sunsets, snorkelling and a great view of the PG while docked in Moorea on the prior cruise. Planning this trip for close to a year we had high expectations and everything was exceeded except for two minor issues. The staff at the Travel Desk were organized but didn't give us the same warm welcome feeling that the rest of the staff presented. We felt as if our questions were a bother to them. The only other issue was a couple nights the fish entree was sent back from some of our dinner table mates. It was quickly replaced with another entree that was superb. The rest of the meals were excellent in quality and presentation.

We organized private tours from Roll Calls for Huahine with Marc, Bora Bora all day with Patrick company and Fakarava with Ato along with a ship tour to the Aquarium in Rangiroa ( best snorkelling of trip ) and Trails of Ancients in Moorea and all excellent.

Michael Shapiro our Cruise Director has an exceptional voice and was always more than willing to assist whenever we stopped him in the hall way for a quick question. Nelson Trinidade , The Hotel Director made sure a trip tour proceeded even though we didn't have the minimum numbers. This was greatly appreciated . I should state there was a conference on board which had many of their own excursions organized so some of the ships tours didn't have the numbers to fill.

We thoroughly enjoyed listening and relaxing to the wonderful melodies by Dan along with the great music from Santa Rosa. Les Gauguines are excellent entertainers and concessionaires.

Our state room balcony C under La Grill had more than adequate storage. In fact we even had empty cupboards.

Grace our room stewardess was exceptional. We are not sure how she made our room sparkle and shine the way she did. Plus we left the room at numerous times throughout the day and we could never figure out how she manage to get it cleaned without ever disturbing us including the turn down in the evening.

We found the waiters and bar tenders always having a big smile with efficient kind service. Joey did an exceptional job every morning remembering our favourite items off the menu which we preferred rather than the breakfast buffet. We often ordered room service coffee in the early morning and no joke it would arrive within 5 min. When we had early morning excursions we ordered room service breakfast and everything arrived hot and tasty.

The enrichment lectures by Dr. Michael Poole and Mark Eddowes were very interesting. Emdee and her DH took our group from Roll Call under their wings and were wonderful giving us lots of tips. We were very fortunate to have an opportunity to have special group tours of the Galley and The Bridge thanks to Emdee.

Overall we found the service outstanding in a spectacular destination and YES we have the PG flu !

Donna

Welcome home, Donna! So great to hear your trip was everything you had hoped for...all that planning paid off!:D

Don't know if you are planning to post some photos, but I would love to see and hear more about your excursions in Fakarava and Rangiroa. Now that you are not a newbie are you planning to take the repeaters cruise in Sept 2014? I know we are planning to go back! ;)

Welcome home, Donna! So great to hear your trip was everything you had hoped for...all that planning paid off!:D

Don't know if you are planning to post some photos, but I would love to see and hear more about your excursions in Fakarava and Rangiroa. Now that you are not a newbie are you planning to take the repeaters cruise in Sept 2014? I know we are planning to go back! ;)

Why would ANYONE EVER cruise the same place more than once?

Believe it or not, I have heard many people say this. Obviously they are not as addicted as we are! It is good to hear from a fellow sufferer of the PG flu! Welcome home DGK and thanks for the review!

You all know I've been hit with the flu :D:o

I love to return to my summer home on a ( for now) underutilized piece of coastline in Maine and few places I've been "coastally" can match that for my desire to return again and again. It always seems that in many places, everything is over developed, and or over run or if it retains it's incredible sense of a place apart, it's because it's been gated and you've been charged thousands to enjoy it. DH and I biked to the public beach in Moorea, other than a few guys sitting at a picnic table drinking Hineos (and they were still there when we sailed past the next day- saw them with my binoculars;)) we had the entire beach to ourselves, just sand, and palm trees and a view of the PG docked in the bay. And it didn't cost a dime;) (well, the bikes were 15 bucks for a half day;))

I guess as much as I enjoy going to new places, some places draw us back and FP with its unspoiled beauty and warm culture is one of them!!

We were only in Rangiroa from noon till five and so glad we picked the ship excursion to the aquarium over the drift snorkeling. Friends that chose the drift snorkeling said they were so disappointed and we thought the aquarium had some of the best snorkeling throughout our entire trip. Yes we did see black tip sharks while swimming and No I didn't sink to the bottom of the ocean and drown as I thought I would. Thank goodness for pictures otherwise my kids would never of believed me. I attempted to post some pic's and hope they work as you may have to click to make larger. Thank you for the invite as we are considering the 2014 cruise just need to get unpacked first and figure out if we want to spend a long cold winter in Canada if we take a glorious vacation in Sept. Lots to think about.

fish1.jpg.f18870f7429877dd4a1d8cf819a0f6af.jpg

fish2.jpg.c672a5bffa496005040d1c788e956a71.jpg

fish3.jpg.edc6475c1b2b7bdc5d5f0fa5550cfb3c.jpg

shark1.jpg.fe7370e820d4f42cd7d2cffbbcc8099a.jpg

am considering a PG cruise next Dec(around xmas,new yrs) and just in beginning phase.Need LOTS OF HELP

First,what cruise(islands) would you recommend for a newbie(haven t got a new brochure yet,but 12 days total fine.

Any particular cabins better,we love balcony,bath tub,breakfast room service?

Advice re air?on own or with company?We d prefer Business class.

Hotel and amt.of time prior?

Have read a few reviews and some less than stellar?should I worry?

Any info would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.Just need somewhere to START.:confused:

I just graduated from the newbie club after a year of planning as we just returned and I would not of change anything as far as what we planned and did. After much thought we decided on the 10 nights Society and Tuamotus cruise plus an over night in LA prior , one night at the IC Papeete as we got in way too late to catch a ferry followed by 3 wonderful nights in an OWB at the Hilton Moorea. I believe all PG rooms have a bath tub and we chose the balcony and you will get lots of opinions on everything I write. There were many mornings we enjoyed our private coffee on our balcony along with room service happy hour. The Tuamotus were our favorite as we found them to be so unspoiled. The pre-cruise stay gave us a chance to unwind and relax in an amazing setting. For us the air pkg through PG was the best bang for buck. We did pay an air deviation fee as we chose Hilton Moorea over PG pkg IC. One point to consider you are going in the raining months. We had rain most days ...sometimes a little sprinkle, some days down pours that canceled a planned tour. We knew this high possibility and were OK with it. Have fun planning.

Archived