PDA

View Full Version : NCL Jade Filipino Crew Member Killed in Greece Accident

SakeDad
March 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM
A Filipino crew member was on Deck 7 Mooring when a mooring line snapped and threw him overboard. It took divers several hours to recover him. The article is here. Very sad! http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/03/articles/maritime-death/death-on-ncls-norwegian-jade/index.html

xenagurl
March 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Oh no, that's horrible! That poor man, he was so young.

youngestof9
March 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
oh my word. How very sad.

david_sobe
March 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Dear God horrible accident
Pray for his family

cruisinmeme
March 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
My husband is a tug boat capitan and I can tell you if one of his crew was killed in an accident like this without a life vest or safety measures his butt and his companies butt would be in a big time mess.
Sad no investigation to speack of was done. Again, let even a minor accident happen and the coast guard is on the boat and nothing happens till it is gone over with a fine tooth comb.
I have to say how sad for the family that it is business as usual after he died. To know no investigation was done would hurt.

jaja
March 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
My prayers go out to his family..

camz
March 8th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Very sad indeed! I am sure there is a dark cloud over the Jade as the crew and the passengers deal with this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

rvsullivan
March 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Sad news, however, the article is by a lawyer that specializes in suing cruise line. Wait till the full story comes out.

Ilovesailing
March 8th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Very sad, these people work so hard.

www3traveler
March 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
How sad for this man's family both personal and ship. I did not care for the slant of the story. I can not imagine that there will not be an investigation.

crew mom
March 8th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks for posting Nathan. So sad to hear of things like that happening.

Hey - e-mail me. I'm coming down to Vegas Easter weekend.

pris993
March 8th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I did not read the details, as I will be boarding the Jade in a month and don't want the thoughts of this incident in my mind but I do feel very sorry for this young man and his family.

The level of investigation on something like this outside the USA is significant lower... gives one pause for thought. We are lucky, those of us who hail from the USA, but when we are crusing... we have to keep this in mind, t he rules are different in different parts of the world.

AquamarineBreeze
March 9th, 2013, 04:08 AM
What will happen now?

Esperanza7
March 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM
That really is very sad news.

Dexysgirl
March 9th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.

pris993
March 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.

I am sorry if my thoughts offended you. You are entitled to your thoughts. This is an open forum were any of us can share our thoughts. I welcome a full investigation, obvously the point of an investigation is to prevent future incidents. We will see how this plays out.

cruisinmeme
March 9th, 2013, 09:22 PM

Already at slower standard if they did not halt things right then and there and start the investigation!!!
You can't recreate things after the fact. Even in the situation in a bad car wreck traffic is stopped in their tracks until things are investigated.
I hope we all read the article wrong, but I didn't feel comfortable with what had been done, or maybe what hadn't been done.
What makes your opinion more correct than the person you complained about giving theirs?

GMCOLT
March 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
I posted to Mr. Walkers site. Before slamming the cruiselines we need to see that over 4, 000 Americans die each year in the workplace. I was an OSHA compliance officer for 12 years.Too many US employers do not get it as far as safety goes.
Per NCL, s own employees they have high safety standards. Several posted on Jim Walker, s web page.

Burpelson
March 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM
4000 dead does not make 4001 ok. Nor do hopes for an investigation constitute slamming a cruiseline. And the OP may have a bias. Let's see how this turns out. Hopefully NCL and the industry and other entities will investigate, and improve practices as discoveries warrant (helmets, or whatever). An OSHA investigator should know that investigations lead to new best practices. Something I hope we all aspire to. So that the crew member did not die in vain. GMCOLT seems to have minimal expectations for his/her job. Yes, people will die on the job, but the question is how to minimize premature loss of life - and this is a question for insurers, government at so many levels, every employer, etc. And one has to factor in costs vs. benefits - how to save the most lives for the least cost. We can't afford it all. So set a price, and maximize the number saved. I say all that b/c I am aware of the complexities. But I still want an investigation/s, and lessons learned applied. If this were an airplane, there might be a costly search for the black boxes, reconstruction of the accident, etc. That high bar is not aspired to here.

kikki21
March 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM
This is very sad indeed for the crew member and his family and friends. Don't cruise ships companies normally make a statement about an incident like this?

dwjoe
March 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Very sad. My prayers are with the poor man's family.

Here is the actual newspaper article:
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_08/03/2013_486531

Given the limited information available I will refrain from passing judgement.

Please note the original link posted is to a lawyer who specializes in suing cruise lines. His media contributions include items such as What Cruise Lines Don't Want You to Know, Cruise Ship Fires Occur with Alarming Frequency, amd Worst Cruise Ever: Can I Sue?

calmac
March 10th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Already at slower standard if they did not halt things right then and there and start the investigation!!!
You can't recreate things after the fact. Even in the situation in a bad car wreck traffic is stopped in their tracks until things are investigated.
I hope we all read the article wrong, but I didn't feel comfortable with what had been done, or maybe what hadn't been done.
What makes your opinion more correct than the person you complained about giving theirs?

From the "information" in the article I don't think it can be stated that things were not halted.

chengkp75
March 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
As DWJoe says, I would rather not pass judgement on the sparse details provided. But as a former NCL ship's officer I can say that company policy requires a hard hat while docking, and a work vest (floatation device) while working near the side. These two items were mentioned in the lawyer's article as being not used, so unfortunately, the crew member himself is partly to blame for the accident.

The lawyer states that the BMA "apparently" did not conduct an investigation, but he does not know that for certain. BMA would normally defer to Greek Coast Guard as the prime investigation service, and since there is not much "forensic" evidence to an accident like this (injury or death by mooring line is an occupational hazard to merchant seamen), there would not have needed to be a "crime scene" investigation of the mooring station that lasted longer than the normal port stay. We do not know if the BMA or Greek Coast Guard had representatives sailing to the next Greek port to take statements.

One death is too many, but the International Safety Management (ISM) code of the IMO requires all shipping companies to mandate a safety culture, and in fact NCL was just awarded the 2012 Quality Ship Management Award from American Maritime Safety.

jpg1747
March 10th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Any death or injury is very sad. Maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who wondered why this poor soul's nationality had to be in the headline? What difference does that make?

jaja
March 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Any death or injury is very sad. Maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who wondered why this poor soul's nationality had to be in the headline? What difference does that make?

You are not alone...it was the first thing that struck me..can see the relevance at all...:confused:

dwjoe
March 10th, 2013, 10:48 AM
But as a former NCL ship's officer I can say that company policy requires a hard hat while docking, and a work vest (floatation device) while working near the side.

Thanks for the relevant background info.

chengkp75
March 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM

It has to do with the lawyer's desire to export US laws and customs to foreign flag vessels owned by companies based in the US. While I would appreciate getting US jobs on cruise ships, I realize that it is not economically feasible, so holding companies to US regulations and work place laws is only legal/economic terrorism.

www3traveler
March 10th, 2013, 12:25 PM
It has to do with the lawyer's desire to export US laws and customs to foreign flag vessels owned by companies based in the US. While I would appreciate getting US jobs on cruise ships, I realize that it is not economically feasible, so holding companies to US regulations and work place laws is only legal/economic terrorism.
Thank you for your explanation. I could find polite words to describe my feelings about the OP. I did see the article about Norwegian winning a Safety Award ( now I can not find it again). I know a number of Staff Captains and how much they stress safety procedures. It breaks my heart that is happened and his person decided to exploit it.

dwjoe
March 10th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I don't fault the OP for posting the information. He may just have wanted to express condolences and he may not have been aware that the lawyer's site he linked to contained spin as well as truth. But I still thank the OP for bringing it up, else I would not have known. :)

AquamarineBreeze
March 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
These men and women, officers and crew from the top down do in fact risk much working at sea. It takes a special person for each of these
kinds of jobs.
My father was a sea captain. I still remember a particular incident and sitting with my mother by the phone one night wondering if he was going to come home. We were lucky. I have great respect for all those aboard and what they do.
It is so sad but accidents do happen - and sometimes they are just that. I am sure that the ship would not have left the port unless they had ascertained that no further investigation there was needed.
I read that the hard hat was in fact found and that another crew member of the Jade working the aft while docking there said they all are required to and do wear the safety gear. Mooring lines are particularly dangerous. They can and do snap and have great force. The article by that lawyer seems aimed at pointing blame but is sorely lacking on tangible facts that would prove what he wants people to read into it.
A prayer for the crew member and all those this has touched.

dijid
March 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I was on this sailing. We were all lined up by the door ready to go ashore when the medical emergency was called. Based on the response, we knew it was something serious. We were delayed about 30-45 minutes getting off the ship, and when we got off, our taxi driver told us what had happened.

When we were returning to the ship, I asked the Cruise Director if we were going to be delayed leaving port because of the emergency. He deflected my inquiry and tried to make it like nothing had happened and assured me we wouldn't be late.

We were delayed over an hour and a half leaving Katakolon. I asked at the customer service desk if the accident this morning would mean we were late getting to Athens. I was assured -twice - that it was only a drill and they were finishing it up soon and we would make Athens on time.

It really bothered me how we were blatantly lied to. Everyone knew a crew member died. This wasn't a rumor. The death was witnessed by all the tour guides waiting for us to disembark. Yet we were repeatedly told nothing had happened or that it was only a drill. It seemed really disrespectful to the deceased. I would have much preferred they announced the truth and a moment of silence.

Mrs. Squirrel
March 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I was on this sailing. We were all lined up by the door ready to go ashore when the medical emergency was called. Based on the response, we knew it was something serious. We were delayed about 30-45 minutes getting off the ship, and when we got off, our taxi driver told us what had happened.

When we were returning to the ship, I asked the Cruise Director if we were going to be delayed leaving port because of the emergency. He deflected my inquiry and tried to make it like nothing had happened and assured me we wouldn't be late.

We were delayed over an hour and a half leaving Katakolon. I asked at the customer service desk if the accident this morning would mean we were late getting to Athens. I was assured -twice - that it was only a drill and they were finishing it up soon and we would make Athens on time.

It really bothered me how we were blatantly lied to. Everyone knew a crew member died. This wasn't a rumor. The death was witnessed by all the tour guides waiting for us to disembark. Yet we were repeatedly told nothing had happened or that it was only a drill. It seemed really disrespectful to the deceased. I would have much preferred they announced the truth and a moment of silence.

Did you ask anyone at NCL about a moment of silence, because your post makes it appear that you only inquired about how this incident would affect your travel plans?! :confused: I can't believe that is what you meant.

Such a tragic accident. Condolences to his family and friends.

dijid
March 21st, 2013, 04:45 AM
Did you ask anyone at NCL about a moment of silence, because your post makes it appear that you only inquired about how this incident would affect your travel plans?! :confused: I can't believe that is what you meant.

Such a tragic accident. Condolences to his family and friends.

The purpose of my questions - which were very leading - was to get them to actually acknowledge the death. I mention "tragedy" and they respond with "drill." I don't think I could have asked if they were doing a moment of silence because they wouldn't even acknowlege what had happened.

www3traveler
March 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Madame,
I do not know what the customs are in France regarding the death of someone. In the United States a tragic death like this one, would be discussed publicly until the family of the young man had been notified. That May have happened yet at time when you were talking to either the Cruise Director or the people at Guest Services.

I do know from talking to staff member friends on The Jade that there was a service held for staff only.

Anginette
March 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
What a sad story. The crew works hard and deserves better than this.

dwjoe
March 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Madame,
I do not know what the customs are in France regarding the death of someone. In the United States a tragic death like this one, would be discussed publicly until the family of the young man had been notified. That May have happened yet at time when you were talking to either the Cruise Director or the people at Guest Services.

I do know from talking to staff member friends on The Jade that there was a service held for staff only.
I assume you mean a tragic death like this one would not be discussed publicly until the family had been notified?

www3traveler
March 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
I assume you mean a tragic death like this one would not be discussed publicly until the family had been notified?
You are correct. I feel so sorry for all the members of the staff of The Jade. From what I understand, it hit everyone very hard. I had a note from one of my young friends, saying that he could not imagine what it would be like for his MOTHER to receive a notice like that one. It tore him about thinking about it. These "kids" are so far from home and communication with family members sometimes is not very easy.