Has anyone taken the Flamingo/Xcambo Tour?

I haven't been able to find any first-hand reviews of this tour offered by Autoprogreso. Every time I think I find something, I find that it's just people raving about how great Autoprogreso is. That's really reassuring since it's not through the cruiseline, but what I reeeeeally want to know is if this particular tour is a good one?

Anyone?

We did this tour a few years ago. The tour we did also included a stop at a beach club. Honestly we didn't think much of it. The flamingos were so far away, that you really couldn't see much. And if you've been to Tulum or any of the big ruins, these ruins pale in comparison. Even San Gervasio in Cozumel are more impressive. There were places where repairs had been made to the ruins and you could see rebar, which I'm pretty sure the Mayans didn't have access to. It kind of detracted from the authenticity. The tour wasn't horrible but the flamingos and those ruins were disappointing. But having said that, I would still prefer to do that excursion than take the long bus trip to visit the more impressive ruins.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I found one other review somewhere that said the same thing about the flamingos, that they're too far away. They didn't mention the ruins though, so I'm happy to know we won't be missing much. I think we're just going to do the all inclusive beach excursion and relax since we will be running around Cozumel for the Amazing Cozumel Race the next day. Maybe next time we cruise to Progresso we'll make the trip to one of the bigger ruins and explore some more.

• 1 month later...
We did this tour a few years ago. The tour we did also included a stop at a beach club. Honestly we didn't think much of it. The flamingos were so far away, that you really couldn't see much. And if you've been to Tulum or any of the big ruins, these ruins pale in comparison. Even San Gervasio in Cozumel are more impressive. There were places where repairs had been made to the ruins and you could see rebar, which I'm pretty sure the Mayans didn't have access to. It kind of detracted from the authenticity. The tour wasn't horrible but the flamingos and those ruins were disappointing. But having said that, I would still prefer to do that excursion than take the long bus trip to visit the more impressive ruins.

I agree. For us it was a rather long ride, then on the little boat which they tried to fill up (seems to be a union thing there). The flamingos were far away and no binoculars were offered. It was a little disappointing, the guide at the end said it was not really the season for flamingos (I wish somebody had told us that earlier). We were then taken to a cenote which was very nice. All in all I would not do it again, maybe if there is "high season" for the flamingos and with binoculars.

Archived