Portland, ME Question

ucralum

We will be in Portland on a Saturday (October 15) from 11 to 5. We would like to visit the Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain Museum in Brunswick, across the street from Bowdoin College (about a 30 minute drive from the port.) Unfortunately, the car rental agencies that are not at the airport are only open a few hours on Saturday morning. Any suggestions? Will there be drivers waiting at the port who might be willing to take us there? Thanks for your help!

Hi, I'll be flying back to Portland from my Western Caribbean cruise on the day you'll be in Portland. I'll wave to the ship as we land :)

I think for the price you would pay for a taxi you might find a car and driver from a limo company. Custom Coach and Limousine does corporate work and has sedans I belive. You can reach them at 1-800-585-3589.

There are taxis readily available in the downtown section where the dock is and you could probably find one to take you to Brunswick easily. I would contact them ahead of time to work it out though. Sorry to say the cabs in our area are not always as nice as in some other areas I've visited.

Enterprise Rent A Car has a site about a mile and a half from the dock and would be open til noon I think but returning it would be the sticking point as no one would be there.

Let me know if I can help more.

Erlene

I live I have been pondering this for a few days. Your best bet might be to take a cab to the airport to pick up a rental which is less than 15 minutes from the port in traffic. We will be in the Carribean that day. Hope you enjoy your visit to our special city.

JOSHUA L. CHAMBERLAIN MUSEUM226 Maine Street, BrunswickHours from May 1st to June 14th, Tuesday-Friday 1:00-5:00 pm,Saturday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm; Sunday:1:00-5:00 pmHours from June 14th to October 30th, Tuesday–Friday 10:00 AM –5:00 pm,Saturday: 10:00 am–5:00 pm; Sunday: 1:00–5:00 pmLast tour begins at 4:00 pmGuided Tours on the Hour & Half Hour: I am a Civil War buff and spent a week in Brunswick a couple of years ago. The museum is very nice but I wouldn't spend a great deal of money to make a trip there unless the visit has a special value to you. This is a house he lived in and there is a collection of his Civil War items in the house. The historical society has a very nice tour. If you do go there are several interesting sites in town with several of them in close proximity to the Chamberlain Museum including: the Skolfield-Whittier House, the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum, the Pejepscot Museum, the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe, and the Church of the Stowe's.

Blackrobe, thanks for the input--it's great to have firsthand information! We are admirers of Chamberlain's (my 12-year-old just wrote a first-person story about Gettysburg in which he belonged to Chamberlain's regiment.) We'd like to stroll around Bowdoin College as well. Thanks again for all replies!

Archived