priceline hotel area close to cruiseline dock( triumph ) new york

musicmansmom

a search did no good in finding any info on which area to choose to book a hotel through priceline for a cruise on the carnival triumph for a new england/canada trip. i am totally in the dark as too where the docks are even located in new york. a web search as been of no help to me. can someone tell me what area from priceline would be a good one to stay the night and still be close to the dock. also i dont know what airport to come into. is all new to me i am very confused :rolleyes: . so far this is the hardest planning i have had to make for a trip. im sure you nice members will give me some good tips :) .

Your travel agent can tell you where the pier is. If it's in NYC, it's on the West Side, around 45th Street or so. But some cruiselines go to New Jersey now, and they're building a pier in Brooklyn, so it depends on which ship and when you're traveling.

Use your Travel Agent for this info, that's why they earn a commission. Once you know what pier, use Google.com to get more info.

thanks nitemare

i am totally at a loss for what area to even look at for a priceline hotel. your suggestion of asking my ta will help me get an idea of a area and she might know of a good place too stay. my cruise plans for alaska was so much simpler for some reason than this cruise. im glad i have alot of time to pick and choose what i want and need to do :D .

For clairfication, with Priceline, you want to look at midtown east and west. These areas have the most hotel options and seem to award frequently. You do NOT want a hotel near any dock. I would assume you are going to be doing at least a look around NYC? And shows would be most easily gotten to from these locations. To the ship, just take a cab.

thanks budget queen. i will go to priceline and see the spots for these area's and then plan what we want to do when we get there. it will take some planning for what we want to do there also ;) . this is going to be a great cruise before and during.

Budget Queen is much too negative about "near the dock". True, you don't want to be right at the piers, since it's an ugly, grimy area cut off from the rest of NYC by the remains of the West Side Highway. On the other hand, the place where we stay for NYC weekends (we're suburbanites who live about 10 miles from the pier), the Hotel Belvedere, is a nice hotel with kitchens and lots of space, usually at a good price. At 48th St. west of 8th Avenue it's probably less than a mile from the pier, and convenient to Broadway and zillions of great restaurants. You can probably find other good choices as well.

I've never tried Priceline because I've had bad luck in the past with nonrefundable hotel costs; but Midtown West (not East) should get you into the right area. The piers are closer to 48th St. than 45th, which is where the Intrepid is docked.

Carnival will be moving from Manhattan to Brooklyn, but I don't believe that work on the new terminal has been started yet. Check with your TA or Carnival, but you'll probably be sailing from Manhattan.

wow, thanks joan

what great info. i do not want to be too far away but i am wondering if we shouldnt just stay close to the airport ( have to decide on that too ) and save some shuttle expenses. we would have to pay to get to a hotel near the peir anyway so we might get the free shuttle to the hotel and then get the taxi or whatever for getting to the dock. but i will definetely keep the hotel belvedere in my stored file for this trip.

and i had no idea that carnival was going to change to brookland. thanks for that tip also. i am getting excited about it already and it is so far away :( . but planning is fun :) .

I, too, am a music man's Mom. Our son is a singer-songwriter who plays guitar and does lead vocals.

If you're arriving at a NY airport late on the night before the cruise, maybe it's Ok to stay at a dull airport hotel. Otherwise, why not come into midtown and see the city a bit. It's lots of fun.

I, too, am a music man's Mom. Our son is a singer-songwriter who plays guitar and does lead vocals.

If you're arriving at a NY airport late on the night before the cruise, maybe it's Ok to stay at a dull airport hotel. Otherwise, why not come into midtown and see the city a bit. It's lots of fun.

joan, it is wonderful to have a talented child isnt it:) . and i will think about getting something closer to the dock so i can see something of the area. thanks again.

We too are doing a New England tour on Triumph Sept 10th. We made reservations in the Broadway area so we could see the city, do tours and maybe a play. We wanted to be sure to be in a safe area. I never thought that any pier would be too far away. Should I be retinking where we booked? Does anybody know how long of a taxi ride it would be to the boat? :confused:

I don't know what hotel you'll be at; but anywhere in the Broadway area is fairly close to the pier, and a short taxi ride. If you'll give the name and/or address of the hotel, I'll give you an idea of the actual distance. Example: the huge Broadway Marriott is about 2/10ths of a mile furthur away from the pier than the Belvedere. Ditto either of the Sheratons - in fact, they may be slightly closer to the pier than the Belvedere. Joe

Thanks Joe, sounds like we did ok then. We are at the Marriott Renaissance on 7th ave. and 48th. Is that locale good? What do you suggest as must do's while we are there? We only have one day.

Thanks again!

Tbug, that's right in the heart of things, and about a block from the Times Square Information booth and the TKTS half price ticket booth. What to do depends on what you like. Pick up a "two-fer" at the information booth, then use it for a reduced price Broadway ticket, or stand on line at TKTS for even cheaper tickets. If you have kids, take them to the huge Toys R Us that has an indoor ferris wheel. Go to a museum or art gallery. Get a coupon near TKTS, then have a great and inexpensive French meal at Rene Pujol; or walk to 46th St. between 8th and 9th for Restaurant Row. Visit a theme restaurant such as ESPN Zone. Take a tour of NASDAQ. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. See Rocketfeller Center - if you're lucky, there may be a concert at the Radio City Music Hall. Indulge your taste in music by taking in a concert (rock, jazz, classical, whatever you like) or a comedy club. Go to BB King's or Lincoln Center. Stroll through Central Park. Whatever you like or would like to try, you'll probably find it nearby.

Joe, I knew NY was going to be great, but WOW! Where do I start? It blows my mind that an area has an information booth!! Whats with that? Here we only see that in malls. lol. I'm even excited about that!!

Thanks for the wonderful info. I can tell you really love your city!!! I'm going to print off this thread and take it with me. Also thinking about a Greyline tour, that someone else suggested since we only have one day.

I cant wait. It's our first cruise. First time to NY. (I'm sure it shows) :) Thank you sooooo much for your help!

85 more days to go!!!!!!!

How a person sees a city is a very personal thing. Our view of city tours such as Grey Line is the opposite of the person who suggested the tour to Tbug. If you're going to a city for several days, take a tour: then you'll know what you want to go back to. For one day - whether in a port on just before or after a cruise - skip the tour and focus on what interests you most. All great cities - whether New York, Montreal, London, Barcelona, etc. - have lots to do and things to see, and you won't be able to do them all in one trip, much less one day - so what's the point of taking a bus past places you won't have time to see?

Yes, the Times Square info center (a storefront, not a booth) exists, with bathrooms, free internet access, an ATM (but banks are cheaper), discount coupons, brochures, and helpful people. Contrary to the sterotype, if you open up a map in the tourist parts of NYC, someone will come up and ask you if you need help: probably within 60 seconds after you open the map. We're proud of our city, and want you to enjoy it.

Archived