Exclamation New England/Canada for the first time! Sight-seeing suggestions desired!

Luckysbud

icon4.gifNew England/Canada for the first time! Sight-seeing suggestions desired!

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit Sept. 7-21-2013, on a New England/Canada cruise. We have never been to any of the stops, and would greatly appreciate information about history, things that "have" to be seen (and the best and most reasonable way to see them) i.e. rental cars, public transportation, taxi. :confused:

We will be stopping at Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine - Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - a day and a half at Quebec City, Quebec - and Gaspe, Canada.

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes:

Here are some suggestions for Bar Harbor -

There is the town history here.

I've made bold what I would consider a must do.

FYI, from late June to early October, there is a free public bus service (Island Explorer) that has various routes on MDI.

SBtS

For Portland, you can walk about the town, plenty of nice shops and street vendors in the vicinity of the pier. Climb aboard a street rickshaw and have someone bike you around town for a while.

Myself, I would rent a car and drive to some of the lighthouses, like the Portland Head Light.

You can drive or go on a tour to Kennebunkport, summer home town of the Bush's.

You can drive or take a tour to the LL Bean shops in Freeport, Me

In Halifax, another place you should rent a car.

Drive out to Peggy's Cove.

See the final resting place of many of the people who died on the Titanic.

Walk around the harbor area, many shops

Visit the Maritime Museum.

Sydney, nothing really interesting to do in this small city. You need to either do a tour or rent a car and get out of town.

Cheers

Ler

I agree with all of the above. I would like to add that in Portland we did a lighthouse tour on a boat that was great, allowed for some beautiful pictures of the many lighthouses in the area.

In Bar Harbor, I think you need to stop at Stewmans before (or after) whatever you decide to do so you can have some 'lobsta' or 'chowda'.

Charlottetown I would rent a car and drive somewhere, it will be the best way to see lots and it reasonably priced. We stopped at Anne of Green Gables (Cavendish), North Rustico Boat harbor, Confederation Bridge, Cows icecream and many places in between including some lighthouses.

Quebec city, very walkable, just get out and wander around town, some fantasic eateries! Get up to the Chateau and over to the plains/fields for some history.

Archived